PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Jimmy V Classic: KU v Memphis and MSU vs Syracuse

SilkyJ
12-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Nice little night of bball on ESPN. Memphis is young, and looks really skinny (one often follows the other), but athletic on the wing and can shoot from deep.

Kansas' size inside should be too much but 12 first half TOs killing them...

Looking forward to the second half and the second game.

SilkyJ
12-07-2010, 08:49 PM
#4 vs #14 and no posts. Must not be many college bball fans around here...;)

Kansas looks really big and athletic in the post. They'd be killing memphis if it wasn't for their 16 TOs. The Morris brothers have more oops in one game than I've ever seen....

Duke: A Dynasty
12-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I just got to a tv and turned on the game while im here at work. Have not seen a whole lot out of this game yet to comment on. But from what I have gathered is KU is not having many problems Scoring and playing D but they keep turning the ball over and this is why Memphis is hanging around

diveonthefloor
12-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Looking forward to a great game!

I love Jim B, but gotta root for State. If nothing else, a good showing by State makes our win look a bit more shiny!'

Mods please merge this...didnt see the other thread. Thanks.

-jk
12-07-2010, 09:06 PM
I was busy watching Ga Tech find novel ways to lose with each possession.

-jk

dchen09
12-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I was busy watching Ga Tech find novel ways to lose with each possession.

-jk

Is GTech digressing with every game played?

diveonthefloor
12-07-2010, 09:09 PM
KU gonna get some first place votes after this game.

12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
KU gonna get some first place votes after this game.

Wow how can you say that? 3 teams are ranked higher plus KU played extremely sloppy

12-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Next up Michigan St and Syracuse.

Also before it starts they are replaying the wonderful and inspirational speech by Jimmy V, so stay tuned for that as well.

juise
12-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Nominally, a one point loss at home to UGA seems more reasonable than a 17-point point loss at Kennesaw State, but I haven't actually seen the games.

Newton_14
12-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Nominally, a one point loss at home to UGA seems more reasonable than a 17-point point loss at Kennesaw State, but I haven't actually seen the games.

But did you really need to see the games to know what happened, when it is GaTech and Hewitt?:D

Hewitt's teams never cease to amaze me. They lose to a Kennesaw State, then will play a Duke down to the wire. It is just bizarre. Just like Vatech but much worse. Does not seem to matter either if it is one of his good teams or bad teams, they both can pull off the same magic tricks..

Why oh why did he not take the St Johns job?? (Note: I am not a Ga Tech fan, just a big fan of the ACC who wants the league to be strong like the old days. It begins and ends with coaching)

roywhite
12-07-2010, 09:57 PM
But did you really need to see the games to know what happened, when it is GaTech and Hewitt?:D

Hewitt's teams never cease to amaze me. They lose to a Kennesaw State, then will play a Duke down to the wire. It is just bizarre. Just like Vatech but much worse. Does not seem to matter either if it is one of his good teams or bad teams, they both can pull off the same magic tricks..

Why oh why did he not take the St Johns job?? (Note: I am not a Ga Tech fan, just a big fan of the ACC who wants the league to be strong like the old days. It begins and ends with coaching)

Agree about the decline in ACC coaching.

Looking ahead, I like Bennett at UVa, Donohue at BC, and also Bezdelik at Wake as good coaches, IMO an improvement over the guys they replaced. Haven't really formed an opinion about the new guy at Clemson, though Pernell had lost his momentum with that program.

Even after several years, I'm not sure about Lowe at NCSU; I keep thinking they're getting it together, and they come out with a dud like their game against Wisconsin.

To the Jimmy V Classic coverage, I enjoy that speech of his every time I see it; truly inspirational, and it's also great to see the support Coach Valvano got from Coach K, who was a real friend in a time of need.

Bob Green
12-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Syracuse is looking good, which isn't surprising as Boeheim is a great coach. The Orange are really active in the 2-3 zone and the activity is exacerbating Michigan State's turnover problems.

SilkyJ
12-07-2010, 10:09 PM
The Orange are really active in the 2-3 zone and the activity is exacerbating Michigan State's turnover problems.

MSU cannot figure out the zone...then as I type they hit a 3 (created more by transition tho...)

-jk
12-07-2010, 10:13 PM
MSU cannot figure out the zone...then as I type they hit a 3 (created more by transition tho...)

MSU is doing OK when they can get into transition. They just can't seem to get it going.

And Syracuse's passing is beautiful.

-jk

weezie
12-07-2010, 10:20 PM

-jk

Ohhh, I so agree. Hasn't that always been a hallmark of Boeheim's coaching!
He's got that on lock.

SilkyJ
12-07-2010, 10:21 PM
MSU is doing OK when they can get into transition. They just can't seem to get it going.

-jk

They just got it going a bit. Nice little run to get within 4.

But they've also airballed at least 5 shots that I've counted. Green just airballed an open 6 foot floater, then Lucious airballed another 3. When that zone gets set, its been ugly for MSU.

I imagine Izzo will make some halftime adjustments, and some of those shots will start falling. I bet its a close game late.

Orange&BlackSheep
12-07-2010, 10:56 PM

The more Tech loses, the more Hewitt wants to talk about things other than basketball. So yes, GTech is indeed digressing more and more with every game played.

Bob Green
12-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Michigan State playing much better in the 2nd half. This game is setting up to be a real good affair down the stretch. It is so nice to watch a quality game where I really do not care who wins. It allows me to sit back and really enjoy the game.

dukebluelemur
12-07-2010, 11:15 PM
They just got it going a bit. Nice little run to get within 4.

But they've also airballed at least 5 shots that I've counted. Green just airballed an open 6 foot floater, then Lucious airballed another 3. When that zone gets set, its been ugly for MSU.

I imagine Izzo will make some halftime adjustments, and some of those shots will start falling. I bet its a close game late.

MSU finally pulls within 3... then they turn the ball over 3 straight possessions. Fortunately, 'cuse isn't exactly pouring it in either.

basket1544
12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
This is a very good game. Michigan St seems to be turning it over too much but those turnovers aren't leading to fast breaks so Syracuse can't get too far ahead.

diveonthefloor
12-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Some teams just take awhile to get used to Syracuse's zone. Unfortunately for most, the don't get used to it until the game is over.

DevilHorns
12-07-2010, 11:22 PM
#4 vs #14 and no posts. Must not be many college bball fans around here...;)

Kansas looks really big and athletic in the post. They'd be killing memphis if it wasn't for their 16 TOs. The Morris brothers have more oops in one game than I've ever seen....

Watched the game here. Kansas looked very good at times, great ball movement (they always seem to make that one last pass...), but were sloppy at times, and overall, not over-the-top impressive against an overrated Memphis.

Memphis looked... young, very very young. And they don't really have any organized offense. I haven't watched a lot of Memphis over the years since Cal has left... but Pastner seems to run pick and roll's at the top of the key as their only play. There's literally nothing else but individuals trying to create their own shots which I guess works in CUSA. I was impressed with their defense, though.

basket1544
12-07-2010, 11:45 PM
After seeing the zone against Mich St, Syracuse is a team I don't want to face anytime soon. They are young and conceivably will get much better through the season.

DevilHorns
12-07-2010, 11:48 PM
After seeing the zone against Mich St, Syracuse is a team I don't want to face anytime soon. They are young and conceivably will get much better through the season.

They have incredible discipline for a team that lost so many weapons from last year. They look very natural on the floor.

I fear to see them in the tourney as well because of their rebounding presence and bigs.

loran16
12-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Watched the game here. Kansas looked very good at times, great ball movement (they always seem to make that one last pass...), but were sloppy at times, and overall, not over-the-top impressive against an overrated Memphis.

Memphis looked... young, very very young. And they don't really have any organized offense. I haven't watched a lot of Memphis over the years since Cal has left... but Pastner seems to run pick and roll's at the top of the key as their only play. There's literally nothing else but individuals trying to create their own shots which I guess works in CUSA. I was impressed with their defense, though.

I've been trying to say this for a while: A coach can recruit well, but he needs to be a great coach to get his top recruits to buy into a good scheme. Calipari IS such a coach.

Pastner has his recruiting skills...it remains to be scene if he has his Xs and Os and team-coordination skills.

pantone287
12-08-2010, 02:21 AM

Yes. From competing at college basketball.

1 24 90
12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
I had a scary thought this morning. What if Michigan State ends up as the #2 seed in our bracket come March? They have already lost a few games and if Ohio State wins the Big Ten, the committee could do that. At least no one will say we have an easy bracket then.

Saratoga2
12-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Syracuse had an inside game that was too much for Michigan State, and since MSU were pretty effective against us inside, it should be an indication to us that we need a substantial improvement there to stay with the better teams. The Syracuse Zone gives most teams fits since they seldom see it during the year. I suspect Suracuse to move up from #7 to #4 next Monday. As I see it, it will be Duke, Ohio St, Kansas and Suracuse occupying the top 4.

davekay1971
12-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Hmmm, by the Transitive Property of Basketball, if 'Cuse is double digits better than Michigan State but only about 5 points better than NC State, then NC State must be about 5 points better than Michigan State, which makes NC State about as good as us.

Therefore, Wisconsin will win the National Championship easily!

Who'dathunkit?

snowdenscold
12-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Hmmm, by the Transitive Property of Basketball, if 'Cuse is double digits better than Michigan State but only about 5 points better than NC State, then NC State must be about 5 points better than Michigan State, which makes NC State about as good as us.

Therefore, Wisconsin will win the National Championship easily!

Who'dathunkit?

Do you think by the end of the season someone could make one of these for Division 1 Men's BB? Or at least all the BCS schools to make it manageable.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/A-demonstration-of-NFL-parity-in-one-handy-circ?urn=nfl-288589

Tim1515
12-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I had a scary thought this morning. What if Michigan State ends up as the #2 seed in our bracket come March? They have already lost a few games and if Ohio State wins the Big Ten, the committee could do that. At least no one will say we have an easy bracket then.

what if Butler ends up on our half of the bracket? Duke seems setup to win the first 2 rounds somewhat comfortably. After that...all bets are off even if we're the better team going in.

Lord Ash
12-08-2010, 09:35 AM
what if Butler ends up on our half of the bracket? Duke seems setup to win the first 2 rounds somewhat comfortably. After that...all bets are off even if we're the better team going in.

Then I feel bad for Butler, and MSU if they are there too... I wouldn't want to play this Duke team in March, I'll tell you that!

Billy Dat
12-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Then I feel bad for Butler, and MSU if they are there too... I wouldn't want to play this Duke team in March, I'll tell you that!

Co-sign....this year's team, as long as it stays healthy, shouldn't fear any team in any round. In fact, that goes for every year. To win a title or make a final four, you should have to beat really tough teams, and if you can't, then it wasn't your year.