PDA

View Full Version : AP #1

johnb
12-06-2010, 01:00 PM
From Jim Sumner's excellent article from the front page:

"The victory also assures Duke another week atop the national polls. Duke has now been ranked number one in the AP poll 115 weeks, second only to UCLA’s 134."

If I do the math right (oh, and we keep winning), we have the opportunity to get very close to the 134 by the end of the season.

All this talk of undefeated seasons and K's victory totals feels a bit like mentioning a no-hitter in the 7th inning.

hurleyfor3
12-06-2010, 01:20 PM
All this talk of undefeated seasons and K's victory totals feels a bit like mentioning a no-hitter in the 7th inning.

More like the second inning.

throatybeard
12-06-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't know, with respect to K's victory totals, it's more like ninth with two outs and nobody on.

devildeac
12-06-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't know, with respect to K's victory totals, it's more like ninth with two outs and nobody on.

And McLouth at the plate with an 0-2 count.:rolleyes:

hurleyfor3
12-06-2010, 02:19 PM

OK, I'm far more apprehensive about talking about undefeated seasons in early December.

The benchmark is the first unc game (see 1986, 1989, 1992, 1994). After that, we can talk. Saying that as an experienced fan, not as a mod.

ForkFondler
12-06-2010, 02:24 PM
OK, I'm far more apprehensive about talking about undefeated seasons in early December.

The benchmark is the first unc game (see 1986, 1989, 1992, 1994, 1998). After that, we can talk. Saying that as an experienced fan, not as a mod.

It is even more premature to talk about a perfect season. For that to happen, we would have to beat UNC four times. Seems unlikely, really.

hq2
12-06-2010, 04:37 PM
he benchmark is the first unc game (see 1986, 1989, 1992, 1994). After that, we can talk. Saying that as an experienced fan, not as a mod.

Yup, that's about right. And, as I recall, the last game is over there this year too.
If we're still unbeaten at that point, they will be playing with unbelievable emotion.
I'd say it would be about 50-50 at that point.

gam7
12-06-2010, 05:48 PM
It is telling that Duke's wins against Kansas State and Michigan State resulted each of those teams falling only one spot in the AP poll (K-State from 4 to 5 and Michigan State from 6 to 7). Shows that the AP voters consider a loss to Duke to be almost a non-event.

weezie
12-06-2010, 07:55 PM
like mentioning a no-hitter in the 7th inning.

You're killing me, son. lol

Bluedevil114
12-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Great video from three very respected coaches in college basketball. I am a huge Izzo and Boeheim fan and never had any issues with Self.

Boeheim says Duke is way out in front of everyone and Self predicts it will be between Duke and Michigan State.

http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/2010/12/video-boeheim-izzo-and-self-discussion/

zoroaster
12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
I certainly agree it'll be tough to go undefeated, but we don't have to to break that record -- we can get a few lucky breaks and go wire to wire #1, like in 1992 (other teams losing too).. :D

Verga3
12-06-2010, 11:19 PM
As Coach K has said even more strongly, it's really pretty unlikely we go undefeated. He and our players shouldn't ever have to field the "undefeated" question from Duke friendlies.

Hey, we have a pretty decent team that has a real chance to go the distance....but remember, the journey is the really the deal. This team deserves to fully experience their journey without the added encumbrance of thinking they cannot lose a game dripping into their brains. I'm sure down deep that they believe they can win each time they step on the court (they better feel that way). And, I'll wager that every coach, player and fan would take a few losses if we can compete again for, and maybe win, another NCAA title at the end.

It's about one game (the next one). Hope we can savor every moment...especially our special seniors.

Duke of Nashville
12-07-2010, 03:03 PM
With all this talk about perfect games and seasons...

and thats the sorta thing that that can't never happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPJKXbNTmWM

SuperTurkey
12-07-2010, 05:04 PM
With all this talk about perfect games and seasons...

and thats the sorta thing that that can't never happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPJKXbNTmWM

I love me some old school SportsCenter commercials. Here's how Grant Hill cheered Dan up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VKAd7urSeo

hurleyfor3
12-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Duke basketball. Where nothing can possi-bligh go wrong.