PDA

View Full Version : The Kyrie Irving Toe Vigil

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

diveonthefloor
12-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't have any news but didn't see a thread about this (mods please merge if there is one)....

Has anyone heard anything about Kyrie's status after injuring his toe in New Jersey?

roywhite
12-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't have any news but didn't see a thread about this (mods please merge if there is one)....

Has anyone heard anything about Kyrie's status after injuring his toe in New Jersey?

I don't have any inside info, but posters on TDD who have good contacts and are normally very accurate are saying...no big deal, he'll be fine.

airowe
12-06-2010, 10:59 AM
From what I was told, he re-aggravated an old injury and it is believed to be sprained. It's something he can play through, but with a less than daunting stretch of games upcoming I wouldn't be surprised to see him either sit out a game completely or play shortened minutes.

Kyrie missing time could be a very good thing for this team come springtime.

PADukeMom
12-06-2010, 11:08 AM
From what I was told, he re-aggravated an old injury and it is believed to be sprained. It's something he can play through, but with a less than daunting stretch of games upcoming I wouldn't be surprised to see him either sit out a game completely or play shortened minutes.

I agree with you. It would also give Seth & Dre extra PT & experience that we will need in March/April.

Bob Green
12-06-2010, 11:43 AM
If Irving needs a game off, now is the time for it to happen. Bradley has been struggling. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler Thornton run the point with the first team as he could gain experience, which could prove invaluable later in the season.

With Irving sitting out, I would be comfortable with a starting line-up of Thornton, Smith, Singler, Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly. Dawkins, Miles Plumlee, Seth Curry would fill their normal roles in the rotation and, with the struggles Bradley has been experiencing, I would expect Hairston to play a bunch of minutes as well.

Another option, which is probably a more conventional option, would be to start Dawkins who has certainly earned the honor with his play this season: Smith, Dawkins, Singler, Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly.

The overriding consideration at this point should be to rest up the minor bumps and bruises in order to enter January and the meat of the schedule with good team health.

watzone
12-06-2010, 11:55 AM
He told Andrew Slater he was fine in a post game interview on Saturday. http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/duke-standout-kyrie-irving-makes-his-new-jersey-return/

diveonthefloor
12-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler Thornton run the point with the first team as he could gain experience, which could prove invaluable later in the season.

As usual, I think Bob has this one completely correct....

Maybe have a situation where Tyler could play point for 20-25 min for these games, and have Dre or Nolan (or even Seth) get 5 minutes here and there at the point. We are going to need to identify our "emergency" point guard options for any contingencies which may develop down the road. I would hate to see this team's title hopes go down the tubes because of one key injury.
Two years ago, who would've predicted Jon would've been thrown into the point guard role (more out of matchup necessities than injury)....it was nice to know that he could handle it as we went into last season.

sagegrouse
12-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Also, it sounds like final exams are well timed to speed recovery.

sagegrouse

airowe
12-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not saying he will miss time. As watzone's linked interview shows, Kyrie believes he's fine and can and will play.

I've also been told he'll be fine. Nothing to worry about here, but these next 5 games or so aren't exactly the guantlet that we just went through.

I'd be surprised to see Tyler starting honestly, but it would pay dividends down the line. I think we'd be more likely to see BobGreen's second lineup or one involving Seth Curry than the first.

Kedsy
12-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Maybe have a situation where Tyler could play point for 20-25 min for these games, and have Dre or Nolan (or even Seth) get 5 minutes here and there at the point. We are going to need to identify our "emergency" point guard options for any contingencies which may develop down the road. I would hate to see this team's title hopes go down the tubes because of one key injury.
Two years ago, who would've predicted Jon would've been thrown into the point guard role (more out of matchup necessities than injury)....it was nice to know that he could handle it as we went into last season.

Nolan is our "emergency point guard."

I'd be surprised to see Tyler playing 20 to 25 minutes at the point, but I think 10 to 15 might be reasonable, in a blowout where Kyrie's time was limited.

jipops
12-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Whatever the condition of Kyrie's toe, I feel like this and the next string of games against lighter competition could give Seth a big opportunity to gain a confidence boost. Kyrie shouldn't need to log any heavy minutes and may be able to rest the toe which could provide more back court time for Seth. This could be significant as we head into ACC play. We would be that much better to have another guard give us reliable offense off the bench besides Andre. Obviously Seth is capable of doing that, it just doesn't seem like he has been able to get into the flow yet, since he is no longer the guy with the ball always in his hands, and his confidence may have taken a bit of a hit as a result.

Tim1515
12-06-2010, 01:03 PM

Maybe have a situation where Tyler could play point for 20-25 min for these games, and have Dre or Nolan (or even Seth) get 5 minutes here and there at the point..

I don't disagree with this idea...but i would be shocked to see it happen. Even if Irving's toe continues to bother him he will see 20+ minutes in these upcoming games. K plays to win every game and puts the players on the court that have earned it (as long as they can play). Every year our players have injuries we don't normally hear about and no one notices because they keep playing.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Nolan is our "emergency point guard."

I'd be surprised to see Tyler playing 20 to 25 minutes at the point, but I think 10 to 15 might be reasonable, in a blowout where Kyrie's time was limited.

This, if there really is any need to rest Irving. But it didn't seem to bother him once he came back in the game, so I'm not sure there's really much of an issue here.

4decadedukie
12-06-2010, 01:30 PM
if irving needs a game off, now is the time for it to happen. Bradley has been struggling. Personally, i wouldn't mind seeing tyler thornton run the point with the first team as he could gain experience, which could prove invaluable later in the season.

With irving sitting out, i would be comfortable with a starting line-up of thornton, smith, singler, mason plumlee and ryan kelly. Dawkins, miles plumlee, seth curry would fill their normal roles in the rotation and, with the struggles bradley has been experiencing, i would expect hairston to play a bunch of minutes as well.

Another option, which is probably a more conventional option, would be to start dawkins who has certainly earned the honor with his play this season: Smith, dawkins, singler, mason plumlee and ryan kelly.

The overriding consideration at this point should be to rest up the minor bumps and bruises in order to enter january and the meat of the schedule with good team health.

Fully agree!

Starter
12-06-2010, 01:43 PM
There's a big difference between saying you're fine and actually being fine, as anyone who watched Kyrie limp heavily to the back after his interview with Doris Burke can attest. Kyrie is a competitor, I wouldn't expect him to admit weakness, of course. I was quite surprised to see Kyrie back in a game that appeared to be in the bag after the pain he appeared to be in, but I trust they're going to take very good care of him lest this become a nagging situation.

Starter
12-06-2010, 01:49 PM
By the way, I'd love for this to be an opportunity to get Curry some touches and get him going, as opposed to Thornton. It was of course a very different situation, but Curry averaged 20 points per game two years ago, including two very strong games against ACC competition. This isn't a guy who I would expect to basically go scoreless in any game this season, and yet here we are. As skilled as Curry is, It would be in Duke's best interest to have him fully functional for a potential title run. I view it as imperative to get him acclimated to the flow of the game.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-06-2010, 01:55 PM
It would be nice to give Kyrie's toe time to heal properly, but it would be even nicer for Seth to regain his stroke and find his shot, which has been MIA since he led us in scoring about a month ago. Fortunately we haven't really needed him to hit three's yet, but we're sure going to going forward, and two or three in each of the last couple of big games would certainly have created some separation and taken the pressure off when the contests were still in doubt.

airowe
12-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not saying he will miss time.

Yeah, scratch that. We need Kyrie more in the Spring than we do in December. We'll get a chance to see our guard depth really put to use over the next few games...

jv001
12-06-2010, 02:25 PM
It would be nice to give Kyrie's toe time to heal properly, but it would be even nicer for Seth to regain his stroke and find his shot, which has been MIA since he led us in scoring about a month ago. Fortunately we haven't really needed him to hit three's yet, but we're sure going to going forward, and two or three in each of the last couple of big games would certainly have created some separation and taken the pressure off when the contests were still in doubt.

If Kyrie had to miss time, this is the best time of the year for that to happen. It also comes at a time when we need Seth to get it going again. As Ozzie said, we haven't needed a big game from Curry yet, but we're will when the ACC season begins. So I say: Smith, Dre, Kyle, Mason & Ryan start, but more time for Seth. Andre has earned the start but a 3 guard lineup with Kyle at the PF will see major minutes if Kyrie does indeed miss time. Go Duke!

Duke12
12-06-2010, 02:50 PM
He is wearing a boot on campus today and I am pretty sure his toe is broken. Toe much better than a foot and downtime should be manageable.

davekay1971
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
He is wearing a boot on campus today and I am pretty sure his toe is broken. Toe much better than a foot and downtime should be manageable.

Have you heard that his toe is broken, or are you inferring that from the boot? I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think a boot is often used to protect a sprained toe, just as it is used to protect a broken one.

If he's wearing a boot today, in either case, I doubt he'll be playing Wednesday. As others have noted, an opportunity for the team to work with Nolan and Tyler running the point, and for Tyler and Seth to get more game time, which will help us in the long run. But any injury is unfortunate, and I wish Kyrie the best in getting over this injury.

airowe
12-06-2010, 03:56 PM
He's not playing Wednesday. He'll be shut down for a few games.

pfrduke
12-06-2010, 03:56 PM

I don't doubt you, but any public link on this yet? Would be curious to read a little more.

roywhite
12-06-2010, 03:58 PM

Well, that's significant news. Thanks for the info.

As noted in earlier posts, there are some positive things that may come out of some lineup changes for a few games. Injury is never welcome, but this comes at a fairly good time, it appears.

davekay1971
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
This platoon is a foot...and Sgt Irving is our big toe.

(If you're not sure what that's paraphrased from, picture Bill Murray saying it and then put "Stripes" on your Netflix cue immediately)

roywhite
12-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Did we need any more proof about Kyrie being a true Duke guy?

He joins a long and distinguished list of Duke basketball players with foot injuries of one sort or another. :)

Get well soon, Kyrie.

airowe
12-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't doubt you, but any public link on this yet? Would be curious to read a little more.

No public link yet that I know of. You can squash this if you'd like, but it's been posted on other boards as well so I figured it was fair game to post here.

Kyrie will be fine, it's just the prudent thing to do for the stretch of games we're in...

NSDukeFan
12-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Is it too much to hope that he is just wearing the boot because it is cold outside? :)

devildeac
12-06-2010, 04:25 PM
"It's over."

pfrduke
12-06-2010, 04:33 PM
No public link yet that I know of. You can squash this if you'd like, but it's been posted on other boards as well so I figured it was fair game to post here.

Kyrie will be fine, it's just the prudent thing to do for the stretch of games we're in...

Not intended to be a "provide a link or don't say it" kind of question. Really just curious to hear more. And anyway, you've earned a healthy dose of credibility around these parts for news on the program, and so get more leeway than a first-time poster who showed up with news that Kyrie's foot was going to be amputated (or something ludicrous like that).

roywhite
12-06-2010, 04:34 PM
"It's over."

hahaha....great reference.

Coach K and the team knew it wasn't over in 2001 when Carlos went out.

And Bluto knew it wasn't over:

What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: [to Boon] Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

airowe
12-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Understood. Didn't think you were saying that, I just understand and appreciate the caution shown by DBR wrt posting unsubstantiated rumors and wouldn't be upset if the post was removed until further confirmation was shown.

I don't believe we have much to worry about here...

Greg_Newton
12-06-2010, 04:38 PM
By the way, I'd love for this to be an opportunity to get Curry some touches and get him going, as opposed to Thornton. It was of course a very different situation, but Curry averaged 20 points per game two years ago, including two very strong games against ACC competition. This isn't a guy who I would expect to basically go scoreless in any game this season, and yet here we are. As skilled as Curry is, It would be in Duke's best interest to have him fully functional for a potential title run. I view it as imperative to get him acclimated to the flow of the game.

I love Thornton, but I think you're right. I don't think he'll be an integral part of our lineup this year, no matter how things shake out. I think the potential payoff would be much higher from getting Seth going - not to mention he's expected to start opposite Austin Rivers in the backcourt next year, so we could do worse things than give him some experience running the team.

The one thing that worries me is that Seth appears to be a slightly shaky ballhandler. It's weird, because he has such great touch, but he seems to have to look down while dribbling a lot and kind of loses the ball a fair amount. I think it might just be him adjusting to the speed of the game, but he's just not snapping the ball off the ground with confidence like Smith and Irving. Hopefully that improves, both this year and over the summer.

ETA: This could also be a great opportunity for Nolan to audition for the pros. By default, I'd guess he'll be the primary PG over the next few weeks. Can he make the most of it?

SuperTurkey
12-06-2010, 04:44 PM
This platoon is a foot...and Sgt Irving is our big toe.

(If you're not sure what that's paraphrased from, picture Bill Murray saying it and then put "Stripes" on your Netflix cue immediately)

The world needs more Sergeant Hulka references.

Mozyb
12-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Here's a quote from an article on ESPN. According to them it's just a sprained toe.

But Irving saved his best for last, scoring 17 of his 21 points in the second half, including two key 3s that put away the Bulldogs. Irving said he sprained his right toe and was limping noticeably after the game. But he did make another appearance in the game even after hobbling off the court.

Here's the article. It's a 3rd of the way down under Player of the Week
http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch1002/week-2

gam7
12-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I love Thornton, but I think you're right. I don't think he'll be an integral part of our lineup this year, no matter how things shake out. I think the potential payoff would be much higher from getting Seth going - not to mention he's expected to start opposite Austin Rivers in the backcourt next year, so we could do worse things than give him some experience running the team.

The one thing that worries me is that Seth appears to be a slightly shaky ballhandler. It's weird, because he has such great touch, but he seems to have to look down while dribbling a lot and kind of loses the ball a fair amount. I think it might just be him adjusting to the speed of the game, but he's just not snapping the ball off the ground with confidence like Smith and Irving. Hopefully that improves, both this year and over the summer.

ETA: This could also be a great opportunity for Nolan to audition for the pros. By default, I'd guess he'll be the primary PG over the next few weeks. Can he make the most of it?

Seth also seemed to be having trouble staying in front of his assignments defensively against Butler. That concerns me a bit.

airowe
12-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Here's a quote from an article on ESPN. According to them it's just a sprained toe.

Here's the article. It's a 3rd of the way down under Player of the Week
http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch1002/week-2

This news is more current than that. Still, I want to reiterate that Kyrie could go if we needed him to but since we don't, he'll rest. Maybe this will get Seth going in the right direction and cause Nolan to take a little better care of the ball. It couldn't have come at a better time...

mr. synellinden
12-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Did we need any more proof about Kyrie being a true Duke guy?

He joins a long and distinguished list of Duke basketball players with foot injuries of one sort or another. :)

Get well soon, Kyrie.

I feel like I've posted this before, but it seems to me that as a team Duke suffers far more serious foot injuries, including breaks, than would be expected on average (if there can be such thing). I've always wondered if there is something at the Cameron floor that contributes to it. Just reading the Featherston story about going undefeated, and thinking about Hurley's broken foot reminded me of it.

Bad news for Kyrie, but the positives are that hopefully he can continue to do some conditioning, some light practice, is not out for too many games and can use the long stretches during the holidays to get back to 100%. And it gives Seth and Tyler more court time to get ready for the ACC and postseason.

Bob Green
12-06-2010, 05:00 PM
I've always wondered if there is something at the Cameron floor that contributes to it. Just reading the Featherston story about going undefeated, and thinking about Hurley's broken foot reminded me of it.

I realize I'm taking your comments slightly out of context, but Hurley broke his foot in Chapel Hill...

The 17-0 Blue Devils were winning a brutal battle in Chapel Hill, when late in the first half, point guard Bobby Hurley suffered a broken foot.

...and Irving re-injured his toe in the Izod Center, so I don't think we can blame it on the Cameron floor.

chrisj59
12-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Kyrie was wearing a boot and did not practice today. I talked to Nolan and he said that Kyrie would be fine by Wednesday. As to whether he actually plays is still to be determined.

Duvall
12-06-2010, 05:03 PM
I feel like I've posted this before, but it seems to me that as a team Duke suffers far more serious foot injuries, including breaks, than would be expected on average (if there can be such thing). I've always wondered if there is something at the Cameron floor that contributes to it. Just reading the Featherston story about going undefeated, and thinking about Hurley's broken foot reminded me of it.

Which floor? I think this is Duke's third since 1992.

mr. synellinden
12-06-2010, 05:07 PM
I realize I'm taking your comments slightly out of context, but Hurley broke his foot in Chapel Hill...

...and Irving re-injured his toe in the Izod Center, so I don't think we can blame it on the Cameron floor.

I know - but the point is wear and tear -- they practice every day there for far more hours than they play games (whether Cameron or not) and it seems like every year we have one of these. If I put together a list of all the guys who've suffered broken feet or had similar issues, I think it would look like a lot.

I can start with Hurley, Boozer, Brand, Irving, Paulus, Zoubek and Collins. Remember this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?5849-Foot-Notes&p=81371#post81371)?

Duvall
12-06-2010, 05:07 PM
TOEWATCH:

Irving day-to-day, doubtful for Bradley (http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2010/12/06/irving-wearing-walking-boot/).

gam7
12-06-2010, 05:12 PM

I agree that if it had to happen, this stretch would be the best time for it, but if it is serious enough for him to be totally shut down for multiple games, it is somewhat concerning to me. Earlier this year Miles dislocated a finger against Miami and continued to play with it in the next game against a weak opponent in Colgate. Having Kyrie literally sit out multiple games sounds pretty extreme if it is indeed not serious.

gam7
12-06-2010, 05:15 PM
TOEWATCH:

Irving day-to-day, doubtful for Bradley (http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2010/12/06/irving-wearing-walking-boot/).

Actually, it just says that it is doubtful that he'll be 100% by Wednesday.

mr. synellinden
12-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Which floor? I think this is Duke's third since 1992.

Maybe it's what's under the floor. I don't know. But this has been discussed on this site before, so other people are thinking it too.

Bob Green
12-06-2010, 05:21 PM
If I put together a list of all the guys who've suffered broken feet or had similar issues, I think it would look like a lot.

I can start with Hurley, Boozer, Brand, Irving, Paulus, Zoubek and Collins. Remember this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?5849-Foot-Notes&p=81371#post81371)?

I'm not disagreeing with the fact Duke player's have suffered an inordinate number of foot injuries, I just believe it is a stretch to look at Cameron as the underlying cause. Doesn't the team practice in the new practice facility these days?

airowe
12-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I agree that if it had to happen, this stretch would be the best time for it, but if it is serious enough for him to be totally shut down for multiple games, it is somewhat concerning to me. Earlier this year Miles dislocated a finger against Miami and continued to play with it in the next game against a weak opponent in Colgate. Having Kyrie literally sit out multiple games sounds pretty extreme if it is indeed not serious.

A finger is a little different than a sprained big toe. This is a repeat injury. The move is a cautionary one. Kyrie could go if needed, but he won't be.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Boys and girls, Kyrie hurt his toe playing at the Izod Center, not in Cameron. He was just fine until he did whatever he did to it midway in the second half. Don't go blaming the floor in Cameron, or the Izod Center, for this particular injury.

That said, when Kyrie went to the bench and took off his shoe, I immediately called Devildeac to see if they were saying anything on the radio about the injury, fearing he may have broken his 5th metatarsal (I was sitting in the end zone seats in the Izod Center, behind Kyrie's back and couldn't see where the trainer was working on his foot, so I feared the worst). When he put his shoe back on and jogged around, I reported it back to DD and be both started breathing again!

If the toe is bruised, the best thing Kyrie can do is stay off it for a week or two to truly let it heal. Otherwise, it'll linger and bother him all season, and every time it gets stepped on, it'll hurt like the dickens. Not that any of our fine competitors would intentionally step on his tootsie... :mad:

gam7
12-06-2010, 05:37 PM
A finger is a little different than a sprained big toe. This is a repeat injury. The move is a cautionary one. Kyrie could go if needed, but he won't be.

Thanks Airowe. Good to hear reassuring things from you!

mr. synellinden
12-06-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm not disagreeing with the fact Duke player's have suffered an inordinate number of foot injuries, I just believe it is a stretch to look at Cameron as the underlying cause. Doesn't the team practice in the new practice facility these days?

Probably right. But if we all agree that we suffer a lot of foot injuries - and more than should be expected - then there are two options: 1. coincidence, bad luck; or 2. some causation which is worth speculating about (or maybe not).

Mike Corey
12-06-2010, 06:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro&feature=related

roywhite
12-06-2010, 06:22 PM

"Is it the Shoes? Is it the Shoes? Is it the Shoes? … Money, it's gotta be the shoes." and "Do you know?, Do you know?, Do you know?" --- Mars Blackmon

Really, makes one wonder.

gwlaw99
12-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Kyrie just tweeted "I'm alright."

MChambers
12-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Probably right. But if we all agree that we suffer a lot of foot injuries - and more than should be expected - then there are two options: 1. coincidence, bad luck; or 2. some causation which is worth speculating about (or maybe not).

Do we really know that Duke players suffer an unusually high number of foot injuries? I don't really know that to be true. I agree it seems that way, but I don't follow other teams as closely, and I don't trust my own sense of this. Didn't James Worthy have a broken foot in college? Did Michael Jordan break his foot early on in his NBA career? Didn't Ginyard miss a year due to a foot injury? Maybe there is some sort of gravitational anomaly in the research triangle.

I do remember Daniel Ewing being diagnosed with a foot condition that was a precursor to having a broken foot and wearing devices in his shoe during part of the season. He never got a broken foot. As I recall, the way in which his condition was diagnosed was fairly cutting edge at the time.

Bluedevil114
12-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Does Duke have the best medical school in the country? Can they fix a toe? If they can get Boozer back on the floor to win a national championship then they should be able to help Kyrie with a toe injury.

dukelifer
12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Does Duke have the best medical school in the country? Can they fix a toe? If they can get Boozer back on the floor to win a national championship then they should be able to help Kyrie with a toe injury.

A little R&R will help Kyrie and will help other players develop in this stretch of games. He should take the next two games off - focus on exams- and play again on 12/20. That is a good two weeks of rest.

Also Duke does not have the best medical school but they do work on toes.

BD80
12-06-2010, 09:03 PM
I feel like I've posted this before, but it seems to me that as a team Duke suffers far more serious foot injuries, including breaks, than would be expected on average (if there can be such thing). I've always wondered if there is something at the Cameron floor that contributes to it. ...

... it gives Seth and Tyler more court time to get ready for the ACC and postseason.

How long has Duke worn Nike shoes? mj has serious pull at Nike, maybe there has been some tampering with shoes sent to Durham. Maybe we need our biomedical engineering taking a look at the shoes. Or Greybeard.

This could be a GREAT opportunity for Tyler to win a spot in the rotation, but I don't think he will get much PT PT (prime time playing time), unless Seth struggles with ball handling or on D staying in front of his man. Hopefully, Tyler will play much of the second half with the game out of reach.

This is also a great opportunity for Seth to get into the flow offensively and defensively. Question to those that follow the tracking of the line-ups, when we go with 2 bigs but no Kyrie, who is in more, Seth or Dre?

I would think that Seth will get the start to help Nolan with ballhandling, and could well see us also starting Dre over Ryan.

pfrduke
12-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Question to those that follow the tracking of the line-ups, when we go with 2 bigs but no Kyrie, who is in more, Seth or Dre?

Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Kelly (13-4, x2, 9)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Miles (16-11, x4, 5)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly-Miles (9-9, x1, 0)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Hairston-Miles (2-2, x1, 0)

Thornton-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles (4-0, x1, 4)
Smith-Curry-Singler-Kelly-Miles (3-0, x1, 3)
Thornton-Curry-Singler-Mason-Kelly (5-3, x1, 2)
Thornton-Curry-Peters-Hairston-Miles (0-2, x1, -2)
Smith-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles (2-5, x1, -3)
Thornton-Curry-Peters-Hairston-Kelly (0-3, x1, -3)
Thornton-Curry-Peters-Hairston-Zafirovski (10-14, x2, -4)

Only two Smith-Curry-Singler lineups, for a total of 5-5. Smith-Dawkins-Singler has been used more often, for a 40-26 result.

Duvall
12-06-2010, 09:30 PM
TOEWATCH: Irving unlikely to play Wednesday, will have precautionary MRI (http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/duke_frosh_irving_doubtful_for_wednesday_mri_on_ta p/3744548).

camion
12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
TOEWATCH: Irving unlikely to play Wednesday, will have precautionary MRI (http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/duke_frosh_irving_doubtful_for_wednesday_mri_on_ta p/3744548).

Or they could save some money and just send him through airport security. ;)

DoubleDuke Dad
12-06-2010, 10:20 PM

From the above article:

Irving is averaging 17.4 points, 5.1 assists and 3.8 rebounds and has been the top freshman in the country as the defending champion Blue Devils have gotten off to an 8-0 start.

How can that be possible when we know that HB was anointed as the preseason all-American? :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
12-06-2010, 10:28 PM
From the above article:

Irving is averaging 17.4 points, 5.1 assists and 3.8 rebounds and has been the top freshman in the country as the defending champion Blue Devils have gotten off to an 8-0 start.

How can that be possible when we know that HB was anointed as the preseason all-American? :rolleyes:

HB = best freshman in the country before anyone actually plays a game.

KI = best freshman in teh country when folks actually start playing games.

Expectation v. reality.

gewwang
12-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I've heard the remedy for a bad toe is to put it in hot water and Epsom salt.

BattierBattalion
12-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I've heard the remedy for a bad toe is to put it in hot water and Epsom salt.

That's the remedy if you're a Carolina fan. :)

4decadedukie
12-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I've always wondered if there is something at the Cameron floor that contributes to it.

I doubt it. CIS's floor was replaced perhaps ten years ago (or slightly more), and the job was both extensive and very expensive. At that time I remember reading and hearing that much of the "extra" cost was required to increase the floor's total depth, which allowed (among other elements) a far better sub-flooring -- designed to cushion -- below the hardwood. This, incidentally, further necessitated many other associated modifications, such as re-framing and replacing doors to accommodate the "thicker" floor. In addition, the K Center is essentially brand new, so it -- too -- doubtless has the latest in basketball court technology. In summary, I suspect both areas where the team plays and practices at Duke have new floors that certainly are designed to preclude injury.

Devilsfan
12-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Timing couldn't be better if this had to happen. Four top of the charts foes like Bradley, St. Louis, Elon, and UNCG gives Kyrie a chance to rest preventing a Jon or Kyle type effect of "hitting the wall" late in the season of their freshmen years. Plus it gives Dre, Seth andThorton some valuable PT better preparing them for our March run if called upon. I love Nolan but his handle is sometimes suspect imo when he tries to pull a Kyrie by taking it to the hoop in traffic.

fgb
12-06-2010, 11:27 PM
i think you've hit the nail on the head regarding nolan. ball handling/one'on'one play seem to be when he stumbles; his strength as a player seems to be finding seams.

LSanders
12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
I trust K and company, but it seems to me that if we've got Nolan, Tyler, Seth and Dre, we've got more than enough ball handling and firepower to let KI fully heal.

hurleyfor3
12-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Lord, have mercy.

G man
12-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Nice picture of signs in Colorado. Driven by that spot more times than I can count.

Sorry now back to the thread!

Olympic Fan
12-07-2010, 01:52 AM
I know - but the point is wear and tear -- they practice every day there for far more hours than they play games (whether Cameron or not) and it seems like every year we have one of these. If I put together a list of all the guys who've suffered broken feet or had similar issues, I think it would look like a lot.

As Ozzie noted, Irving's injury occurred in the Izod Center -- not Cameron. And Hurley's broken foot occured in the Smith Center, not Cameron.

Starter
12-07-2010, 03:31 AM
For the record, the Robbins Bio-Channel Star (http://www.robbinsfloor.com/biochannel.html) is apparently the modern-day equivalent of the floor Duke installed back in 1997. I've actually played a little on the Cameron court -- uh... they used to leave an obscure side door unlocked late at night -- and it definitely felt nice and cushioned.

I happen to do a little running, and one relatively common way to get injured is to go from a softer surface, like a track, to a relatively harder surface like the sidewalk without ramping up sufficiently. If I were so inclined -- which I'm not necessarily saying I am -- I'd say that injuries suffered on the road could conceivably stem from such an occurrence. I guess I'm just saying that the fact that injuries occurred on the road may not explain away softer home floors as the root of the issue. In fact, quite the contrary.

lotusland
12-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Without Kyrie I will be curious to see if Duke plays a more deliberate style on offense, running shooters off screens and give and go plays with more interior passing. Also I wonder if Duke will rely on the big lineup more or if the extra minutes will go to Seth and Tyler. On defense I see no reason that we don’t continue to press even with the big lineup.

My guess is that Coach K. will still want to run since that is the preferred offense this year and it still needs some work. Especially since we should win regardless of what offense we use. Also I’m guessing the extra minutes will be spread around among the guards and the bigs. My preference would be to try one game with a big lineup and a more deliberate style and the next with Tyler running the break to see how well he can handle it. Not to get to far ahead but I wonder if we have a point guard to run with next year between, Seth, Tyler, Quinn and Austin if Kyrie declares.

lotusland
12-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Without Kyrie I will be curious to see if Duke plays a more deliberate style on offense, running shooters off screens and give and go plays with more interior passing. Also I wonder if Duke will rely on the big lineup more or if the extra minutes will go to Seth and Tyler. On defense I see no reason that we don’t continue to press even with the big lineup.

My guess is that Coach K. will still want to run since that is the preferred offense this year and it still needs some work. Especially since we should win regardless of what offense we use. Also I’m guessing the extra minutes will be spread around among the guards and the bigs. My preference would be to try one game with a big lineup and a more deliberate style and the next with Tyler running the break to see how well he can handle it. Not to get to far ahead but I wonder if we have a point guard to run with next year between, Seth, Tyler, Quinn and Austin if Kyrie declares.

Looks like this post should go in the Bradley pre-game thread. Mods feel free to move it if you agree.

DeBlueDevil
12-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Just let Seth start and Tyler get some significant minutes along side of Dre. No need to risk Kyrie this early in the season prior to ACC play. We have plenty of weapons to dispose of Bradley w/o Kyrie. I love to watch the kid play but let him rest as I'm sure K will.

Excited to see what Ty can do!

NSDukeFan
12-07-2010, 10:18 AM
As Ozzie noted, Irving's injury occurred in the Izod Center -- not Cameron. And Hurley's broken foot occured in the Smith Center, not Cameron.

Does this mean the team has been playing too many "true road games?" ;)

hurleyfor3
12-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Hurley's injury was to his knee, not his foot.

I was at the 1992 game in Chapel Hill. For what it's worth, we were leading 17-11 when Hurley got hurt and came out. A few plays later, he came back in with unc up 18-17. Remember it extremely well.

Olympic Fan
12-07-2010, 10:32 AM

I was at the 1992 game in Chapel Hill. For what it's worth, we were leading 17-11 when Hurley got hurt and came out. A few plays later, he came back in with unc up 18-17. Remember it extremely well.

Apparently not so well.

Hurley's injury was a broken bone in his foot (can't find a link on-line, but check page 216 of the Duke Basketball Encyclopedia to confirm).

Your memory of the circumstanes of the injury may be right, although I remember it as later in the first half ... he definitely came back and played 37 minutes in the game, which Duke lost by two points. He then missed the next five games.

roywhite

Please turn in your nickname.

old DBR thread on Foot Notes (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?5849-Foot-Notes&p=81530)

Bob Green

I disagree, Hurley broke a bone in his foot:

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-02-07/sports/sp-1487_1_broken-foot

jv001
12-07-2010, 10:37 AM

Bob didn't Hurley come back fairly quickly from the injury? Seems like he was able to ride a stationary bike during his recovery. GoDuke!

hurleyfor3
12-07-2010, 10:43 AM

Hmmm... I wrote the headline (but not the article) in the Chronicle a couple days after the game. For some reason I remember it being "Hurley to miss three weeks with knee injury."

I have the proof from page one of that issue, but it's in storage. As it turns out I have to retrieve something there today or tomorrow; maybe I can dig it up.

Hurley missed four or five full games as I recall. He came back off the bench in a home game against Virginia. That I remember, as I was at that game too.

roywhite
12-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Bob didn't Hurley come back fairly quickly from the injury? Seems like he was able to ride a stationary bike during his recovery. GoDuke!

Not Bob, but yes, I think you're correct.

I recall comments that Hurley went at the stationary bike and a stair climber really hard, and informed Coach K after 3 (?) weeks that he was ready to return, well ahead of a normal recovery time.

Hurley was an incredible competitor and clutch player.

jv001
12-07-2010, 10:50 AM

I recall comments that Hurley went at the stationary bike and a stair climber really hard, and informed Coach K after 3 (?) weeks that he was ready to return, well ahead of a normal recovery time.

I thought I remembered Bobby coming back quickly from the broken foot. He was one tough player. Hard not to have him on any Duke list. GoDuke!

fgb
12-07-2010, 12:51 PM
i think it was grant hill who missed a few games that season due to a knee injury.

hurleyfor3
12-07-2010, 12:55 PM
i think it was grant hill who missed a few games that season due to a knee injury.

Pretty sure Grant was healthy throughout 1992.

He had a toe injury in 1993 and missed a few games.

94duke
12-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Pretty sure Grant was healthy throughout 1992.

He had a toe injury in 1993 and missed a few games.

I believe it was a high ankle sprain.
http://articles.latimes.com/1992-02-26/sports/sp-2691_1_grant-hill

PADukeMom
12-07-2010, 01:05 PM
This is the whole reason you never say "special team" & "pefect season" until after the season. You tempted the woof GODS & now I am going to have to ground you all!
Heal fast Kyrie!

gus
12-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Hmmm... I wrote the headline (but not the article) in the Chronicle a couple days after the game. For some reason I remember it being "Hurley to miss three weeks with knee injury."

I have the proof from page one of that issue, but it's in storage. As it turns out I have to retrieve something there today or tomorrow; maybe I can dig it up.

Hurley missed four or five full games as I recall. He came back off the bench in a home game against Virginia. That I remember, as I was at that game too.

Unfortunately the Chronicle's online archive only goes back to 1994.

The NY Times goes back much farther though!

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/07/sports/sports-people-basketball-duke-loses-hurley-too.html?scp=1&sq=Duke+Hurley&st=nyt

the Blue Devils playmaker, BOBBY HURLEY, also broke a toe in his right foot.

Hurley could be sidelined for three weeks.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/26/sports/sports-people-college-basketball-hill-of-duke-injured.html?scp=2&sq=Duke+Hurley+Virginia&st=nyt

GRANT HILL, a sophomore, hurt his left ankle in practice yesterday and could be sidelined for the Blue Devils' home game tonight against the University of Virginia

And you're correct that Bobby played against Virginia, coming off the bench:

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/27/sports/college-basketball-laettner-and-hurley-s-return-lift-duke.html?scp=1&sq=Duke+Virginia&st=nyt

devildeac
12-07-2010, 01:21 PM

He and Bilas "went at it" on a stairmaster for about 3 weeks, each leaving the other a note every time they bested the other's record. IIRC, Bilas eventually won with something like 850+ flights and Hurley knew he was whipped, but Bilas referred to Hurley as a "machine."

Hurley had his 3 week "check-up" with the orthopod and then showed up in K's office with a huge S%i!-eating grin on his face and K knew he was ready to play. The doc had told him he could break the bone again but that playing might actually facilitate the healing with increased movement and blood flow. K wouldn't start him (IIRC, Blakeney moved into the starting line-up and Grant moved to the point. K was "heart-broken" that his PG had "grown" 6-8 inches) but worked him back into the line-up fairly quickly. This is my recall from reading one of K's books about 15 years ago.

Gorilla
12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Well kyrie is out for tommorows game

gus
12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
The doc had told him he could break the bone again but that playing might actually facilitate the healing with increased movement and blood flow.

K's response in the post game presser:

"So my goal the whole night was to help that healing process as much as possible," Krzyzewski said.

Mike Corey
12-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Official word coming from Duke tmw re: the status of Kyrie's toe.

cato
12-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Official word coming from Duke tmw re: the status of Kyrie's toe.

Can't say I'm looking forward to it. The two non-season-ending injuries I fear most for players that thrive on speed and cutting are high ankle sprains and busted toes.

kong123
12-07-2010, 02:59 PM
would you like "our" guys to look at that toe? i am sure we would have him healthy before next years draft.

Duvall
12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
would you like "our" guys to look at that toe? i am sure we would have him healthy before next years draft.

Thanks, but I think it might be best if your medicial staff kept their leeches and poultices in Orange County.

jipops
12-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Without having any inside info, I'm doubting that Kyrie isn't at least going to suit up for K's opportunity to pass Rupp. I'm betting Kyrie really wants to be a part of that history.

_Gary
12-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Can't say I'm looking forward to it. The two non-season-ending injuries I fear most for players that thrive on speed and cutting are high ankle sprains and busted toes.

Maybe I'm missing some attempt at a joke. Not sure. But if you aren't joking then I'm confused. A high ankle sprain is a big, big deal, but I just can't imagine Kyrie has any type of toe injury that would literally be season ending.

pfrduke
12-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Maybe I'm missing some attempt at a joke. Not sure. But if you aren't joking then I'm confused. A high ankle sprain is a big, big deal, but I just can't imagine Kyrie has any type of toe injury that would literally be season ending.

Well, the poster said non-season-ending injuries, so he's not suggesting the toe would be season ending. However, if it's nagging, it could cut down on Kyrie's explosiveness if he's in pain every time he tries to cut, plant, shift directions, etc. while using his big toe for leverage (and cue greybeard post about feet and toes in 3...2...1...)

kong123
12-07-2010, 03:50 PM
for a perfect example, look at Lawson's toe injury in 2009 and his ankle sprain in 2008. He missed a lot of time with both injuries. He made a full recovery, but it really took away his ability to play at full speed. hopefully, he will only miss the UNC game so we could have a shot at beating you like you beat us when Lawson missed those two games back in 08 and 09. Maybe it was only in 08 when you beat us with him out?

MChambers
12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
for a perfect example, look at Lawson's toe injury in 2009 and his ankle sprain in 2008. He missed a lot of time with both injuries. He made a full recovery, but it really took away his ability to play at full speed. hopefully, he will only miss the UNC game so we could have a shot at beating you like you beat us when Lawson missed those two games back in 08 and 09. Maybe it was only in 08 when you beat us with him out?
In 09, all we did is win the ACC championship with Lawson out.

mkirsh
12-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Well, the poster said non-season-ending injuries, so he's not suggesting the toe would be season ending. However, if it's nagging, it could cut down on Kyrie's explosiveness if he's in pain every time he tries to cut, plant, shift directions, etc. while using his big toe for leverage (and cue greybeard post about feet and toes in 3...2...1...)

Remember back to 2009, Ty Lawson missed more time than expected with a toe injury, and then re-aggravated it during the Duke game and missed the ACC tournament, so the worry would be that this persists all year (although it did work out ok for Ty Lawson in the end that season).

Deshawnj
12-07-2010, 04:16 PM
I think with all the broken hearts of losing Kyrie for X amount of games, this is truly a blessing in disguise.
1 All the players will now realize they can win big with or without Kyrie in the lineup builds super confidence.

2. Kyrie is young and tends to get those touchy reach fouls. We may need someone else to help out in the PG role later on if he goes out with foul trouble Seth, Dre, or even a deep Tyler T. Experience now will pay off major come March.

3. Kyrie is always in the game, I am sure you hear some Coach K insights riding the pine and sort of get the feeling of becoming a true floor general and coach on the floor. When he comes back he will be more vocal and more of the leader we need.

Mike Corey
12-07-2010, 04:25 PM
While I appreciate the sentiment that this is a blessing in disguise, I'd argue that an injury is not a blessing per se, but it can and will be an instance of lemons being turned into lemonade...for all the reasons many of you have stated above.

Deshawnj
12-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I see how blessing was harsh for an injury. I meant the timing of this injury as opposed to any other time in the year was a blessing. I just feel KI's injury will help get other players experience, playing time, shots, coaching that they wouldn't get with him on the floor. It is preparing us to play as a team which is what we need to win it all again.

hurleyfor3
12-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Unfortunately the Chronicle's online archive only goes back to 1994.

The Internet may not have the article, but I do. Here's (http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f19/frequentfreak/dbr/hurley_chronicle.jpg) the story from The Chronicle on 7 February 1992. I didn't save the jump. Sorry.

The story appeared at the bottom of page one. I'm far more thrilled I didn't write a bad headline (and not discover it for 18 years) than I am disconcerted that people are demanding I change my username.

At least now I know where I have all my Chronicles saved the next time I screw something up.

Mike Corey
12-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I know you didn't; I didn't mean to seem as if I was being overly critical. If so, mea culpa.

Ideally, I think we'd all agree, Kyrie's in there cultivating his on-court chemistry with everyone else. But as you note--and I agree--other guys will step up and that won't be a bad thing, either.

uh_no
12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Without having any inside info, I'm doubting that Kyrie isn't at least going to suit up for K's opportunity to pass Rupp. I'm betting Kyrie really wants to be a part of that history.

I'm betting kyrie couldn't care less...most of the guys on the team probably have no clue....not because they're ignorant, but because they have more important things to worry about than who gets to be part of K obtaining some arbitrary win total

Deshawnj
12-07-2010, 05:09 PM
No worries Mike. I think the biggest concern is with Kyrie missing time like you say he is missing the chemistry building process with the team. I am also concerned that as a true freshman player of the year candidate etc. he will try and play when he shouldn't just to prove he is tough and not let the team down when in actuality he would be hurting us in the long run.

cato
12-07-2010, 05:15 PM

I am not joking at all. This has me very worried. A toe injury -- particularly a big toe -- can be almost as debilitating as a high ankle sprain. And like a high ankle sprain, it is hte type of injury that can linger until the player can well and truly rest. Just ask Antonio Gates.

hurleyfor3
12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I am not joking at all. This has me very worried. A toe injury -- particularly a big toe -- can be almost as debilitating as a high ankle sprain. And like a high ankle sprain, it is hte type of injury that can linger until the player can well and truly rest. Just ask Antonio Gates.

Or Jack Lambert.

OldPhiKap
12-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Kyrie just wants to sit out a week, in order to give someone else the chance to be rookie of the week.

He's very thoughtful that way.

jv001
12-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Or Jack Lambert.

Jack Youngblood, LA Rams, de..played with a broken leg in a NFL game. Go Duke!

Olympic Fan
12-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Am I missing something or does somebody have more info than has been released by Duke?

I just watched WRAL TV (at 6 p.m.) and they reported that Kyrie would miss the Bradley game, but that his status is day to day. I was told Monday that he would probably miss Wednesday's game -- but that if it were UNC or Michigan State, he would play.

Seems to be precautionary. No release that I've seen identifying it as a broken bone or a torn ligament or even "turf toe." The only explananation I've seen is "a sprained tie" and even that's not official.

If he misses the Bradley game and comes back Saturday against St. Louis, no big deal ... a chance for Seth to play the point or maybe Nolan to slide over and let Andre start (I suspect the former). If he misses both games, still not that big a deal because that will be followed by a nine-day break before we play Elon ... and then another nine-day break before we play UNC-Greensboro. If it's really bad, Kyrie could rest 28 days -- almost a month -- between the Butyler game and when Miami visits on Jan. 2 ... he wouldn't miss a game Duke could lose.

Actually, I think the worst thing about Kyrie missing ANY time is that it robs us of a significant part of his Duke career. As great as he's proven to be, it seems pretty certain this is the only year we get from him. I was hoping that would be 40 games.

Now it looks like we'll only get him for 39 games.

PS Okay, I just read the game notes on goduke ... while no announcement on Kyrie, it does say that he's expected to miss the Bradley game.

_Gary
12-07-2010, 07:20 PM

Sorry about that, cato. I did indeed misread your first post and thought you were suggesting it might be a season-ending injury. Had I read you correctly the first time I wouldn't have responded the way I did. And while I do agree that a big toe injury can be very aggravating and debilitating, I've always felt the high ankle sprains were worse over the long haul, but that may only be because Duke has had a history with that particular injury and it always gives me the shivers when I hear about it. Not so with toe injuries, but as you said it can seriously hinder a player significantly even if they are able to be on the court.

Let's just all hope this is very, very minor. Everyone has pointed out that if it had to happen during the season, this is about as good a time as we could have hoped for.

airowe
12-07-2010, 08:18 PM
As Mike said, official word will come out tomorrow.

Early reports from x-rays are no broken bones, but the MRI results certainly aren't the best they could be.

I'm expecting Kyrie back by the start of ACC play at the latest. As has been stated, if it had to happen this was the best time. Let's hope it doesn't linger or return.

DukeBlueNV
12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I read on another board (from a respected member) that the results of the MRI is a severe toe sprain and he most likely will be out at least a month.

Which sucks. I know we have a lot of quality depth with Seth, Dawkins, etc. but IMO this stretch can be a critical time that the team could be working on chemisty between players which I dont think has exactly come together at this point. This team is a great assembly of talent but it isnt quite a "TEAM" yet. Seems like they are still learning how to play together.

That being said Kyrie should take as long as he needs. I dont care if we lose a game or two in the ACC or whatever, we need him in March and hopefully early April. This sucks though...

_Gary
12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
As Mike said, official word will come out tomorrow.

Early reports from x-rays are no broken bones, but the MRI results certainly aren't the best they could be.

I'm expecting Kyrie back by the start of ACC play at the latest. As has been stated, if it had to happen this was the best time. Let's hope it doesn't linger or return.

YIKES!!! :(

Not liking the sound of this at all. Oy Vey.

CEF1959
12-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I kind of hope he just sits through the UNC-G game. We're deep in the backcourt, and it wouldn't be bad for the team for other guys to get minutes. If this is the sort of injury that would benefit from extended rest, I say rest it. We need this guy healthy after 1/1, not necessarily before, and I fear a nagging injury that puts him at 90% for critical spring games.

I guess what I'm saying is: better to rest it now and be sure it'll be 100% later than hope it's good to go.

gam7
12-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Seems to be precautionary. No release that I've seen identifying it as a broken bone or a torn ligament or even "turf toe." The only explananation I've seen is "a sprained tie" and even that's not official.

I have some experience with sprained ties, particularly when I travel for work or weddings and the like. It's been a persistent, lingering problem, but it's nothing that has kept me out of business meetings or scheduled events.

Absolutely agree with you that it's really too bad that we have to miss out on precious games watching a very special talent. Perhaps the opportunity to win ACC Player of the Week next year will be incentive to come back. :)

billyj
12-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Lets all pray for a speedy recovery! and most importantly a full recovery! And hope he will be back at full speed for the ACC games.

gam7
12-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I wonder whether Kyrie will seek out Jay Williams's counsel when weighing whether to leave or come back when being virtually guaranteed to be a top 5 pick. I also wonder how Jay feels in retrospect about his decision to stay at Duke for his junior year.

Starter
12-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I wonder whether Kyrie will seek out Jay Williams's counsel when weighing whether to leave or come back when being virtually guaranteed to be a top 5 pick. I also wonder how Jay feels in retrospect about his decision to stay at Duke for his junior year.

He very well might contact Jay, they've had a lot of contact over the past year. As for Jay's decision, i think he's fine with it. He got his degree, which came in handy when his basketball career hit the skids. And he got a National Player of the Year, and he was still drafted No. 2 -- perhaps a few spots higher than he would have been the previous year with the attack of the high schoolers.

gep
12-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Everyone talks about "rest". What about practices. As I've read before, practices at Duke are not exactly "walk-throughs". Or does he not even practice....? Thanks...

Newton_14
12-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Everyone talks about "rest". What about practices. As I've read before, practices at Duke are not exactly "walk-throughs". Or does he not even practice....? Thanks...

He did not practice Monday and I imagine he will not practice again until he is out of the boot and cleared by the doc. The only thing he will do is hit the pool and possibly the stationary bike for conditioning if he can do that without causing pain in the toe.

bjornolf
12-08-2010, 06:02 AM
I agree with DD. To quote 2001, and hopefully with the same affect:

"It's over." Might as well just pack it in. *sigh*

:D

Hancock 4 Duke
12-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Kyrie's toe diagnosis will be released tomorrow, or at least that's what he says on Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/kyrieirving

BD80
12-08-2010, 07:20 AM
I read on another board (from a respected member) that the results of the MRI is a severe toe sprain and he most likely will be out at least a month. ...

... Perhaps the opportunity to win ACC Player of the Week next year will be incentive to come back. :)

Kyrie still has a better chance to win rookie of the week this week than HB!

RelativeWays
12-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Kyrie still has a better chance to win rookie of the week this week than HB!

Well his absence will certainly have a bigger impact than anything Barnes is gonna do.

trinity92
12-08-2010, 09:52 AM

I'd be really curious to hear what Jay has to say about that. I'm sure it's colored by the final result, that we didn't repeat as champs. However, I remember watching Jay play his Junior year, and for the very first time ever found myself thinking I was looking at a player who should have gone pro rather than coming back to school. Jay was such a dominating player that year, opposing teams were simply beating him up rather than letting him beat them. I was really scared he was going to get hurt because of how physically teams were playing him.

diveonthefloor
12-08-2010, 10:18 AM
On the lemons to lemonade front:

It will be helpful for the team to learn how to play without Kyrie.
Remember when JJ was such a one-man show at times that the rest of the team just sort of stood around and watched him? Not for the whole game, but certainly this did happen. And when JJ was cold, it killed us during those games.

With Kyrie out, we can focus entirely on running good motion offense and hopefully improve as a team.

roywhite
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
On the lemons to lemonade front:

It will be helpful for the team to learn how to play without Kyrie.
Remember when JJ was such a one-man show at times that the rest of the team just sort of stood around and watched him? Not for the whole game, but certainly this did happen. And when JJ was cold, it killed us during those games.

With Kyrie out, we can focus entirely on running good motion offense and hopefully improve as a team.

Probably true.

Kind of a selfish reaction, but it bothers me that we'll miss some significant portion of Kyrie's potential time in a Duke uniform, which seems likely to be just one season. He's such a special player that I'd like to savor every moment of his time here. He may miss 10% or 20% or more of the games on the schedule. Ugh.

Get well soon, Kyrie.

Billy Dat
12-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Looks like The King is also concerned/empathetic - tweet on Lebron!

KingJames@kyrieirving best of luck fam! Get well soon

oldnavy
12-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Probably true.

Kind of a selfish reaction, but it bothers me that we'll miss some significant portion of Kyrie's potential time in a Duke uniform, which seems likely to be just one season. He's such a special player that I'd like to savor every moment of his time here. He may miss 10% or 20% or more of the games on the schedule. Ugh.

Get well soon, Kyrie.

You want selfish I'll give you selfish!!

I have two tickets this year, tonight and Saturday!!! Now I will not get the see him play in person and I am bummed. I really wanted to see him in person.

BUT, I will get over it, and I do think that this will turn out to be a good thing for the team overall. We really should not struggle while he is out and if we do, then we really have bigger problems than Kyrie's toe.

Go Duke!!

Mike Corey
12-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Announcement coming soon.

The key thing here: "This is a very fluid situation."

Whatever news comes, it can change.

"A Toe Story" will have a great ending. Every great story requires some conflict to start.

airowe
12-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Like Mike said though, any prognosis can change based on how the toe is healing and responding to treatment/therapy/orthotics.

I have a feeling we'll be hearing from greybeard soon.

ACCBBallFan
12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I kind of hope he just sits through the UNC-G game. We're deep in the backcourt, and it wouldn't be bad for the team for other guys to get minutes. If this is the sort of injury that would benefit from extended rest, I say rest it. We need this guy healthy after 1/1, not necessarily before, and I fear a nagging injury that puts him at 90% for critical spring games.

I guess what I'm saying is: better to rest it now and be sure it'll be 100% later than hope it's good to go.Would be good for Kyrie to get some experience on hte Greensboro court as prep for ACCT.

If timing is a month or more as one board is suggesting ...

Duke has 7 ACC games and two OOC in January.

The first ACC game probably has the best guard tandem in Durand Scott and Malcolm Grant but they play very selfishly.

Not sure if Tony Chenault will be back by Jan 22 but C J Harris and JT Terrell are playing well while he is out with is own injury.

MD lost its guard expereince when Greivis and Hayes graduated but still have Adrian Bowie and a couple of decent frosh PeShon Howard and Terrell Stoglin.

UVA's Sammy Zeglinski is himself just coming back from injury and their other guards are Farrakan and two frosh KT Harrell and Jostel Evans.

FSU does not really have a PG but has two good combos in Kitchen and Snaer plus Ian Miller.

BC has Reggie Jackson who is playing very well, plus a senor Biko Paris.

So even without Kyrie, Duke is so deep at gaurd that Devils match up well, or at least are not outgunned with Nolan - Dre - Seth and Tyler.

J02 Miami at Duke FSN 7:45

J05 UAB at Duke ESPN2 7:00

J09 Maryland at Duke FSN 8:00

J12 Duke at Florida State ESPN 9:00

J15 Virginia at Duke ESPN 2:00

J19 Duke at NC State ESPN 7:00

J22 Duke at Wake Forest ESPN 4:00

J27 Boston College at Duke Raycom 8:00

J30 Duke at St. John's CBS 1:00

SuperTurkey
12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Announcement coming soon.

The key thing here: "This is a very fluid situation."

Whatever news comes, it can change.

I gotta say, this sounds more alarming than comforting. Sounds an awful lot like "Don't freak out, it's not as bad as it looks." When told not to freak out, I always freak out.

awinner23
12-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Mid January is the rumor.

_Gary
12-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Wow, the news keeps getting worse and worse. :(

tylervinyard
12-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Looks like The King is also concerned/empathetic - tweet on Lebron!

KingJames@kyrieirving best of luck fam! Get well soon

I've been meaning to pose this question for a while. Anyone understand the abbreviation "fam" in Lebron's twitter? I used to see this a lot when I followed QMiller's twitter feed, but it never made sense to me.

ncexnyc
12-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Wow, the news keeps getting worse and worse. :(

And what news would that be? I haven't seen anything conclusive yet nor am I really all that worried about it, as this team has a ton of depth in the backcourt.

I was more worried when Lance busted his knee in the Maryland game last year.

freshmanjs
12-08-2010, 01:40 PM
And what news would that be? I haven't seen anything conclusive yet nor am I really all that worried about it, as this team has a ton of depth in the backcourt.

I was more worried when Lance busted his knee in the Maryland game last year.

lance's knee injury was in the unc game

cato
12-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I was more worried when Lance busted his knee

That was a scary moment, but it became clear pretty quickly that Lance would recover during the season. It seems to me that knee injuries fall into two categories: season ending, and short-term with full recovery. Unfortunately, toe injuries can be the type that linger the entire season, and rob a player of his explosiveness.

Only time will tell, but I have the same feeling right now as when the Chargers' rookie running back suffered a high ankle sprain early in the season. Everyone said it was no big deal at the time, but it turns out to have seriously hampered his rookie campaign.

freshmanjs
12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
That was a scary moment, but it became clear pretty quickly that Lance would recover during the season. It seems to me that knee injuries fall into two categories: season ending, and short-term with full recovery. Unfortunately, toe injuries can be the type that linger the entire season, and rob a player of his explosiveness.

Only time will tell, but I have the same feeling right now as when the Chargers' rookie running back suffered a high ankle sprain early in the season. Everyone said it was no big deal at the time, but it turns out to have seriously hampered his rookie campaign.

Maybe but Kyrie can miss an entire month and miss only 1 acc game (miami) and a few less competitive non conference games. I'd hope that a month's rest should go a long way to reducing the risk of a season long lingering effect.

Billy Dat
12-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I've been meaning to pose this question for a while. Anyone understand the abbreviation "fam" in Lebron's twitter? I used to see this a lot when I followed QMiller's twitter feed, but it never made sense to me.

It means "family". Referring to someone as "fam" is an extra little term of endearment.

What's up, dude? - friendly
What's up, fam? - you're special

I imagine the King wouldn't mind fam directing the Heat attack.

devildad12
12-08-2010, 02:12 PM
DBB reports that Kyrie will "be out indefinitely."

Bob Green
12-08-2010, 02:13 PM
DBB?

Humor me, what/who is DBB? And do you have a link?

jipops
12-08-2010, 02:15 PM
from GoDuke as well - "out indefinitely"

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205044326

devildad12
12-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Sorry, Duke Basketball http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205044326

Bob Green
12-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Sorry, Duke Basketball http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205044326

Ah, GoDuke.com. Now I understand. Thanks!

CDu
12-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Here's the official press release:
http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205044326

Out indefinitely :(

I wouldn't worry too much about it - yet. As has been noted, we don't have a particularly tough schedule for the next month. He could take the next three weeks off and we'd still be expected to win each game he missed by 20+. Then, he could return for the Miami game (at home), which we'd still be fairly heavily favored to win. Or even he misses the Miami game and could get a tuneup for the Maryland game.

Now, if we're to the end of December and we still don't have a clear picture about his return, then it would be reason to get a little nervous.

Toe injuries can be tricky - certainly so for players who rely a lot on their explosiveness. But hopefully 3-4 weeks of rest will be sufficient to get him fully healthy. And in the meantime, we'll get more experience for the rest of the team (especially important for guys like Curry and Dawkins).

ncexnyc
12-08-2010, 02:23 PM
lance's knee injury was in the unc game

My mistake, he pulled a Willis Reed for the next game, which was the Maryland game.;)

airowe
12-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Indefinitely means indefinitely in this case. As in they don't know. Anything you hear otherwise is incorrect.

:mad:

arydolphin
12-08-2010, 02:44 PM
As long as "out indefinitely" does not take him out through the bulk of the ACC season, I'm not concerned about the injury. We already know this team is good and deep. I'm taking the view on this team that the Celtics did last year: the most important thing is to be healthy when the tournament comes around. Let Kyrie sit for a few games, concentrate on finals and then get some time off around the holidays, and then come back strong when the ACC season starts.

tylervinyard
12-08-2010, 02:45 PM
It means "family". Referring to someone as "fam" is an extra little term of endearment.

What's up, dude? - friendly
What's up, fam? - you're special

Even assuming "family" as I had it still didn't make much sense to me. Thanks for clearing it up. I guess it's like the new "brother" since it's shorter.

PADukeMom
12-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Hope & pray for a speedy recovery. I kind of see this as a positive, not that I want anyone to get injured, but without Kyrie we can't "Kyrie watch". This is going to allow 'Dre & Seth to get some great experience.
(...thinking to myself...wonder if Austin Rivers can graduate early;) ).
Hopefully he will be back in time for the Maryland game.
Heal fast Kyrie.

Kedsy
12-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Probably not, but there's approximately zero chance of that happening. I don't care how badly Miami underachieves, the team isn't going to be in the lottery, and unless they trade one of their big three they don't have the pieces to obtain a top five pick.

throatybeard
12-08-2010, 03:01 PM
You want selfish I'll give you selfish!!

And here I had just gotten over the emotional scars from having to read about Toe Lawson's toe every day all season. Now this.

MChambers
12-08-2010, 03:09 PM
And here I had just gotten over the emotional scars from having to read about Toe Lawson's toe every day all season. Now this.

It's all Kong's fault, for comparing Kyrie to Lawson.

gcashwell
12-08-2010, 03:21 PM
As long as Kyrie, can get back in a reasonable amount of time, I see this as a good thing. It makes our guys learn to do it on their own, and gives other teams less time to watch tape of him and figure him out.

Of course, there are just as many drawbacks to having him out...

loran16
12-08-2010, 03:27 PM
It's all Kong's fault, for comparing Kyrie to Lawson.

Last I checked, UNC won the title in the year Lawson sat out a bit with a "toe injury."

gam7
12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Two questions for those who know:

1. It has been said that this is a recurrence of an old injury. How does the severity of this recurrence compare to the prior occurrences?

2. How long did it take for him to recover in the past?

Starter
12-08-2010, 03:36 PM
There's no upside to playing him in any of the next four games, and calling him out "indefinitely" is a way to take the pressure off and give him all the time he needs to get better without people asking him before every game if he's coming back. Honestly, win or lose, there's no upside to playing him until he's (hopefully) completely better to the point where he's not going to aggravate it every time he goes out there. Ask anyone who has Jahvid Best on their NFL fantasy team about that.

I'm still trying to figure out why he went back into the game on Saturday when he was clearly injured, but I do think the same healing process would be going on regardless. I just hope that didn't make the situation any worse, but there's no way to tell.

airowe
12-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Two questions for those who know:

1. It has been said that this is a recurrence of an old injury. How does the severity of this recurrence compare to the prior occurrences?

Much worse.

2. How long did it take for him to recover in the past?

He was fine. It was injured earlier this year in pickup or practice. Didn't seem to have hindered him one bit...

He ain't going to be 100% anytime soon.

airowe
12-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why he went back into the game on Saturday when he was clearly injured, but I do think the same healing process would be going on regardless. I just hope that didn't make the situation any worse, but there's no way to tell.

He said he was fine. Even after he got back he thought he was fine. It wasn't until MRIs were done that doctors could see the severity of the damage...

mr. synellinden
12-08-2010, 03:47 PM

This really sounds discouraging.

By "anytime soon" can you say whether you mean in the next couple of weeks, or any time this season?

Obviously we can deal with several weeks, but not being 100% for months is really bad.

NSDukeFan
12-08-2010, 03:50 PM
There's no upside to playing him in any of the next four games, and calling him out "indefinitely" is a way to take the pressure off and give him all the time he needs to get better without people asking him before every game if he's coming back. Honestly, win or lose, there's no upside to playing him until he's (hopefully) completely better to the point where he's not going to aggravate it every time he goes out there. Ask anyone who has Jahvid Best on their NFL fantasy team about that.

I agree this is a situation where the team will try to make lemonade out of lemons. I hope to see Seth, Miles and Ryan gain some confidence so they will be consistent valuable members of the team's rotation in the new year (not that they aren't already, but I am hoping for a bit more from each of them.) It will also be a good time for Tyler and Josh to get a few extra minutes as well.

Without knowing how serious his injury is, the "upside" of Kyrie playing would be his continued learning of the college game and learning how to be the best point guard with the teammates he has for this Duke team. I think he has had an incredible start to the season, better than I would have imagined, but I think he and the starters could become better offensively and defensively. I think this time off hurts in that regard. I agree that Kyrie should take whatever time off he needs, but I think this is valuable time that he could be getting better with his teammates. (And of course, selfishly, if he is only going to be at Duke for 35-40 games, it is terrible to have to miss some of those.)

airowe
12-08-2010, 03:50 PM
This really sounds discouraging.

By "anytime soon" can you say whether you mean in the next couple of weeks, or any time this season?

Obviously we can deal with several weeks, but not being 100% for months is really bad.

If anyone gives you a definite date they're lying. This thing depends totally on how fast Kyrie's body takes the treatment.

mr. synellinden
12-08-2010, 03:52 PM
If anyone gives you a definite date they're lying. This thing depends totally on how fast Kyrie's body takes the treatment.

OK - thanks. Hopefully, he can pull a Hurley.

Interesting - news that Irving is out indefinitely just ran on the breaking news bar on Bloomberg TV. Not ESPN ... Bloomberg TV.

roywhite
12-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Much worse.

He was fine. It was injured earlier this year in pickup or practice. Didn't seem to have hindered him one bit...

Do you suppose we could tell Marquette, K-State, Mich. State, etc. that Kyrie was running with a bad spot on one wheel when he faced them....wasn't at his best. He actually has another gear that we'll see later this year. ;)

Starter
12-08-2010, 04:28 PM
He said he was fine. Even after he got back he thought he was fine. It wasn't until MRIs were done that doctors could see the severity of the damage...

I hear you, but they're always going to say they're fine, because they want to play. He'd play tomorrow if they let him. It's like a boxer, he's always going to say he's fine, but sometimes the corner has to step in for his own protection.

Mike Corey
12-08-2010, 04:32 PM

Not that airowe requires it, but I'll second this assertion.

This isn't a predictable healing process.

I trust the Duke docs with their magic, and I trust that Kyrie will work as hard at recuperating as he does at everything else.

Now let's go Duke and take care of Bradley tonight.

JasonEvans
12-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Even assuming "family" as I had it still didn't make much sense to me. Thanks for clearing it up. I guess it's like the new "brother" since it's shorter.

Fam is shorter than Bro?

Twitglish is sometimes impossible to understand.

--Jason "frankly, Lebron and Maverick Carter can stay far, far away from Kyrie if you ask me" Evans

airowe
12-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I hear you, but they're always going to say they're fine, because they want to play. He'd play tomorrow if they let him. It's like a boxer, he's always going to say he's fine, but sometimes the corner has to step in for his own protection.

Honestly, there isn't any reason to question Jose or the rest of the training staff. They are some of the best in the country.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.

Starter
12-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Without knowing how serious his injury is, the "upside" of Kyrie playing would be his continued learning of the college game and learning how to be the best point guard with the teammates he has for this Duke team. I think he has had an incredible start to the season, better than I would have imagined, but I think he and the starters could become better offensively and defensively. I think this time off hurts in that regard. I agree that Kyrie should take whatever time off he needs, but I think this is valuable time that he could be getting better with his teammates. (And of course, selfishly, if he is only going to be at Duke for 35-40 games, it is terrible to have to miss some of those.)

All good points. Kyrie seemed to pick things up pretty quickly right off the bat, however, so I wouldn't worry about him personally getting back in the flow. I would hope (and think) they'll have enough time to fully re-integrate him in our system before the postseason, but they were playing at a very high level with him in the lineup from the beginning of the season.

Airowe, have you heard if this something more than a straight-up sprain, such as torn ligaments or a fractured bone or something like that?

Starter
12-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Honestly, there isn't any reason to question Jose or the rest of the training staff. They are some of the best in the country.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.

It's not a witch hunt or anything. It's just I was surprised sitting at the game when he came back in, and in retrospect it looks even weirder. But if he said he's ok, maybe they just wanted to get him an ovation in front of his friends and family one last time or something.

mr. synellinden
12-08-2010, 04:39 PM
It's not a witch hunt or anything. It's just I was surprised sitting at the game when he came back in, and in retrospect it looks even weirder. But if he said he's ok, maybe they just wanted to get him an ovation in front of his friends and family one last time or something.

I was surprised too that he came back in, and even more surprised that he stayed in as long as he did when he was very clearly limping and uncomfortable.

airowe
12-08-2010, 04:41 PM
All good points. Kyrie seemed to pick things up pretty quickly right off the bat, however, so I wouldn't worry about him personally getting back in the flow. I would hope (and think) they'll have enough time to fully re-integrate him in our system before the postseason, but they were playing at a very high level with him in the lineup from the beginning of the season.

Airowe, have you heard if this something more than a straight-up sprain, such as torn ligaments or a fractured bone or something like that?

X-rays are negative. I'm not going to speculate on the results of MRIs. Doctor-patient privileges and all that.

Starter
12-08-2010, 04:48 PM
X-rays are negative. I'm not going to speculate on the results of MRIs. Doctor-patient privileges and all that.

Ok, thanks as usual for the solid info.

The fact they're not releasing the results of the MRI makes me a bit uneasy. If it was a minor thing, they'd have no reason not to tell us that. And the fact that according to Jeff Goodman (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Duke-Blue-Devils-Kyrie-Irving-to-miss-extended-time-120810), one specialist apparently suggested surgery (though they're not going to go that route) seems like a very ominous sign. It doesn't stun me they're not going to operate, as that would keep him out considerably longer -- not to mention this medical staff has pulled minor miracles with Boozer, Brand and so many others, so I'd say Kyrie's most definitely in good hands here.

airowe
12-08-2010, 04:53 PM
I'd say Kyrie's most definitely in good hands here.

It's quite remarkable how good of hands he's in actually.

Orange&BlackSheep
12-08-2010, 05:00 PM
It's quite remarkable how good of hands he's in actually.

I can't imagine this is good news for the "Isn't college fun, think I'll do it for a while longer" part of his brain .... get better, KI.

weezie
12-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Tonight's Bradley game will be a groan festival of listening to the announcers (please not Len Elmore) cluck and chitter about Kyrie.

Get better young man!!!!

richardjackson199
12-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Andy Katz says the injury "involves ligaments" whatever that means..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5900154

roywhite
12-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Andy Katz says the injury "involves ligaments" whatever that means..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5900154

from the medical dictionary: (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/sprain)

sprain (sprān) a joint injury in which some of the fibers of a supporting ligament are ruptured but the continuity of the ligament remains intact.

sprain,
a traumatic injury to the tendons, muscles, or ligaments around a joint, characterized by pain, swelling, and discoloration of the skin over the joint. The duration and severity of the symptoms vary with the extent of damage to the tissues. Treatment includes support, rest, and alternating cold and heat. Ultrasound therapy may speed recovery. Radiographic images are often indicated to rule out fractures

BD80
12-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I can't imagine this is good news for the "Isn't college fun, think I'll do it for a while longer" part of his brain .... get better, KI.

Depends on the painkillers he is getting.

mattman91
12-08-2010, 07:52 PM
We are doomed. doomed I tell ya. No college point guard has ever had a toe injury like this and led his team to a national title...
;)

Anywho, this honestly could not have happened at a better time, no disrespect to the upcoming competition. This should give Nolan and even Seth a chance to polish up their PG skills. I am also anxious to see if Tyler Thornton gets a little valuable time to shine.

richardjackson199
12-08-2010, 08:38 PM
from the medical dictionary: (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/sprain)

Yes a sprain can involve damaged ligaments, but none of the recent reports after the MRI are using the word "sprain" now. They're all calling it a "toe injury" which is not a diagnosis. The diagnosis has not been released. We don't know if the core of these ligaments are intact or if the ligaments are completely torn. We do know his doctors are world class, and we trust their judgment to get him better and get him back to balling when it's best for him. I'm not in the "this is good for the team" camp. This absolutely sucks - for Kyrie and for Duke. But as a parallel, look at what happened to Quin Cook this summer. He also had a severe injury. But he recovered fully, and last night he led Oak hill to a dominant win over Forsyth Country Day. (Forsyth Country Day has Slovenian Sven Malus who is very interested in UNC. They also have point guard Tyler Lewis, who is committed to NC State. Lewis didn't play last night due to an injury.) My friend who helps coach at Forsyth Country Day had this to say about Cook last night. "As good as advertised. Excellent with the ball, plays under control, directs his teammates, shoots the lights out. We got beat by 50!!" So the future for Duke could not be brighter - both this season and beyond..

ice-9
12-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I agree with everybody else here in that we can make use of Kyrie's absence to improve other players, but make no mistake, this is a setback.

As dominant as we've looked so far, we haven't always looked fluid. I.e. Nolan and Kyle are still learning how to play with Kyrie -- this stretch would have been a good stretch to further integrate everything together and maybe even try new things. Kyrie's injury sets that process back.

Duke76
12-08-2010, 09:34 PM
that could take another 10 pages of discussion:
-any video
-any live account of what happened
-did someone step on his toe
-did the ankle buckle or roll
-was it to the outside or inside

CLW
12-08-2010, 09:59 PM
that could take another 10 pages of discussion:
-any video
-any live account of what happened
-did someone step on his toe
-did the ankle buckle or roll
-was it to the outside or inside

I believe it happened during the Butler game. I believe it was Matt Howard that stepped on his foot when Kyrie was making a drive.

Cameron
12-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Tonight's Bradley game will be a groan festival of listening to the announcers (please not Len Elmore) cluck and chitter about Kyrie.

Truer words honestly have not been spoken. I want to walk outside and die in the cold each time I listen to Len talk. Beyond tiresome. Andre three-ball in the corner -- Len: "Yeah, he made it, but with Kyrie on the floor, that three is wide-open two instead."

SHUT UP.

billy
12-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I was reading through the thread above and wanted to clear up a couple of misperceptions about what "sprain" means:

Sprain - describes an injury to a ligament (ligaments attach bones to other bones). A sprain can be a mild stretch to only a few fibers or completely torn and still be a "sprain". The degree of the sprain, i.e. how many of the fibers of the ligament are torn, has a direct correlation to how quickly an injury will heal. Hopefully it's not turf toe (although that would be my uninformed guess)...

Strain - involves an injury to a muscle or tendon (tendons attach muscle to bone). Again can be completely torn in two or just an injury affecting a couple of fibers.

Here's some information about sprains and strains from an authoritative website (the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery):
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00304

Anyone want to bet that Kyrie makes a trip to the same orthotist that Truck Byrant went to? http://www.allbusiness.com/sports-recreation/sports-games-outdoor/14555603-1.html

Duke76
12-08-2010, 10:58 PM
why is turf toe so much worse than a sprain??

jipops
12-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Ok, thanks as usual for the solid info.

The fact they're not releasing the results of the MRI makes me a bit uneasy. If it was a minor thing, they'd have no reason not to tell us that. And the fact that according to Jeff Goodman (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Duke-Blue-Devils-Kyrie-Irving-to-miss-extended-time-120810), one specialist apparently suggested surgery (though they're not going to go that route) seems like a very ominous sign. It doesn't stun me they're not going to operate, as that would keep him out considerably longer -- not to mention this medical staff has pulled minor miracles with Boozer, Brand and so many others, so I'd say Kyrie's most definitely in good hands here.

The more this is discussed it seems the worse it gets. I was feeling optimistic earlier in the day that he would only miss a couple games. Now after what I keep reading, I'm wondering if we're even going to see the same Kyrie we saw drop 32 on Mich St? This pretty much stinks. I know we can look at positives of other players getting the opportunity for more minutes and improve, but this team needs Kyrie in there. This season's offense revolves around him and he is one of the better perimeter defenders out there.

KShip21
12-08-2010, 11:41 PM
According to star news online acc insider "Coach K just said that Kyrie Irving's injury is a serious one and he could possibly be out for the season. Won't know until further tests."

Can anyone verify this was said in postgame interview?

richardjackson199
12-08-2010, 11:42 PM

To be clear - I have not read from any official sources that Kyrie has "turf toe". But the treatment of typical turf toe doesn't take all that long...
"It typically takes two to three weeks for the pain to subside. After the immobilization of the joint ends, some patients require physical therapy in order to re-establish range of motion, strength, and conditioning of the injured toe." (from web md)
Whatever Kyrie's diagnosis, Coach K said in his pregame comments that "it's not a good thing", it's "serious", and "we don't know how long he's going to be out." I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said they're getting opinions from experts not just at Duke but all over the country to make sure that Kyrie returns to 100% in the long term, not just short term. He indicated that Duke would have a better idea of a possible timetable in 10-11 days. Let's keep praying for a speedy and full recovery for Kyrie!

Devilsfan
12-08-2010, 11:48 PM
One question clearly comes to mind. Why the heck did they put him back in the game on Saturday? Also after watching tonights game it's very plain to see that on our twelve man roster we don't have another pure point guard.

airowe
12-08-2010, 11:48 PM
According to star news online acc insider "Coach K just said that Kyrie Irving's injury is a serious one and he could possibly be out for the season. Won't know until further tests."

Can anyone verify this was said in postgame interview?

Multiple reporters said this, yes. Possibly a serious injury. Won't know until further testing is completed...

Devil07
12-08-2010, 11:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303420150

Afterward, Krzyzewski called Irving's injury "a serious one" that is being evaluated by doctors both at Duke and nationally. He said the team hopes to learn more about his status in the next week to 10 days, though he said there was a possibility Irving might be lost for the season.

"It is serious and whatever final decision is made, it's going to be based on what's in his best interests in his career, not to save him for any period of time or whatever," Krzyzewski said. "But he could be out for a long time."

I'm holding out hope, but I certainly don't like the sounds of that...

airowe
12-08-2010, 11:51 PM
To be clear - I have not read from any official sources that Kyrie has "turf toe". But the treatment of typical turf toe doesn't take all that long...

The original diagnosis I was told, and this has been posted elsewhere so I feel comfortable posting it here, was "severe" turf toe. There are a number of doctors working on Kyrie though so I believe that was only the opinion of one of them.

billy
12-08-2010, 11:55 PM

Just to be clear, I don't have any insider information about Kyrie; I'm not saying that turf toe is his diagnosis. In regards to the question:

Technically, turf toe is a sprain. Turf toe refers to an injury specifically to the big toe joint at the point where that toe meets the foot. It happens when the toe is forced into hyperextension at that joint (the metatarsophalangeal joint), for instance when the base of the front of your shoe is still contacting the floor but the heel lifts up and then someone falls onto the heel, driving the foot into the ground and injuring that joint by forcing it into hyperextension. Severity of turf toe is graded based on structures involved. Some authors recommend grade III tears be treated surgically.

The reason turf toe could be considered worse than a different type of sprain is that about 1/3 of your bodyweight goes through the metatarsophalangeal joint when walking/running, moreso than other joints. Also because it can require surgery in worst-case scenarios. Also because it can lead to painful arthritis of that joint in the future.

Interestingly, Derrick Rose has turf toe injury but has been able to play on it. Obviously a lower grade injury.

While ESPN is an unusual source for medical information, here's a link to a pretty good article about turf toe in sports:
http://espn.go.com/trainingroom/s/1999/0901/13907.html

gep
12-08-2010, 11:57 PM
I think... the best thing... is if it's best for Kyrie's long-term health that he be out for the season, then "so be it". It will only bring Duke down a bit to the level of "everyone else"... which will make for an even more interesting season. Like last year, who knew in Dec 2009 that an NC was even a possibility???? We go with the flow... next play...

That being said, I *really* enjoyed watching Kyrie... I kept being amazed with everything he did... and really wanted to see him in full stride for the entire season... all the way to the NC!!!

billy
12-08-2010, 11:59 PM
The original diagnosis I was told, and this has been posted elsewhere so I feel comfortable posting it here, was "severe" turf toe. There are a number of doctors working on Kyrie though so I believe that was only the opinion of one of them.

That would certainly make sense given the reported recommendation of at least one specialist for surgical intervention as mentioned earlier in the thread. The return to play after surgery for turf toe is typically several months...

AlaskanAssassin
12-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Wow, did not expect K to say that. I'm actually in shock right now. smh We have to make major adjustments now.

-jk
12-09-2010, 12:01 AM
One question clearly comes to mind. Why the heck did they put him back in the game on Saturday? Also after watching tonights game it's very plain to see that on our twelve man roster we don't have another pure point guard.

Apparently it wasn't bothering him enough not to. Players get hurt in games all the time and come back in. Rolled ankle, dislocated finger, broken wrist, dislocated shoulder, hip pointer, broken foot - the list goes on and on. Just last season, Kyle played through some sort of wrist injury.

Occasionally, after the adrenaline wears off and the x-rays and MRIs are done, they discover it's worse than they thought during the game. Let's hope Kyrie's back in weeks rather than months...

-jk

Zeus12888
12-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Apparently it wasn't bothering him enough not to. Players get hurt in games all the time and come back in. Rolled ankle, dislocated finger, broken wrist, dislocated shoulder, hip pointer, broken foot - the list goes on and on. Just last season, Kyle played through some sort of wrist injury.

Occasionally, after the adrenaline wears off and the x-rays and MRIs are done, they discover it's worse than they thought during the game. Let's hope Kyrie's back in weeks rather than months...

-jk

At this point I'm hoping for comes back at all...

BlueintheFace
12-09-2010, 12:18 AM
For the love of god, won't somebody start an "its over" thread?

ncexnyc
12-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Last time I checked this was the Duke Basketball TEAM. We can and will get through this.

roywhite
12-09-2010, 12:36 AM
For the love of god, won't somebody start an "its over" thread?

"It's over."

devildeac called it early; post #29 in this thread.

richardjackson199
12-09-2010, 12:56 AM

I don't want to assume anything. If "severe" turf toe means "grade 3" turf toe - here is what pub med recommends for management...

"Grade III injuries may involve complete disruption of plantar structures, significant swelling or ecchymosis, hallux flexion weakness, or frank instability of the MTP joint. Management of these injuries can be nonsurgical, with immobilization in plantar flexion to allow the plantar structures to oppose and heal. Recently, however, Anderson27 reported on the surgical outcomes of 19 collegiate and professional athletes with grade III turf toe injury who underwent open repair of the ruptured capsuloligamentous complex. All but two athletes returned to their previous level of participation; this finding validates the use of more aggressive management in grade III turf toe injury.
Our preferred technique for managing complete rupture is direct primary repair of the plantar capsuloligamentous complex through a two-incision approach (ie, medial and plantar).28 An important aspect of recovery is appropriate player expectations regarding return to play. Following surgical repair, it may take 6 to 12 months before the player can return to full competition without the need for a protective orthosis or taping. The necessity of surgery appears to be sport- and position-dependent." The table from that article for grade 3 turf toe injuries recommends..."Long-term immobilization in a boot or a cast or surgical reconstruction. Return to play in 10-16 weeks, depending on sport and position. Taping or bracing likely needed."

mr shadow 008
12-09-2010, 01:05 AM
So I have a question. Let's say hypothetically Kyrie is out for the season, does he come back next year? Or do you think he goes to draft?

J4Kop99
12-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Terrible, Terrible news. I feel bad for him if this is in fact the case. The team will definitely have to step up if Kyrie somehow is out for the entire season.

I really can't believe this to be true... he was doing so well. Nothing we can do for now though except wait for more information. Hopefully we get some good info before Saturday's game.

Kedsy
12-09-2010, 01:13 AM
So I have a question. Let's say hypothetically Kyrie is out for the season, does he come back next year? Or do you think he goes to draft?

I don't know that it affects his decision, any more than the lockout would affect it. It's possible he feels the pull of "unfinished business" and wants to come back, but it's also possible the injury makes him see his own mortality and fuels his desire to get out there as quickly as he can.

Ultimately, we're going to have to wait for that answer. We're going to have to wait and see how long he'll be out, too. I know everyone's anxious and impatient to know, but I don't think it's going to happen that way.

Hopefully we get some good info before Saturday's game.

I'm pretty sure K said we won't know too much more for another 10 days or so. That makes it unlikely we'll hear anything (good or bad) before Saturday.

dukeballer2294
12-09-2010, 01:18 AM
its confusing to me that k would make comments about him coming back from this setback earlier today on goduke.com but then after the game make drastic comments like this....

gam7
12-09-2010, 01:18 AM
I don't want to assume anything. If "severe" turf toe means "grade 3" turf toe - here is what pub med recommends for management...

"Grade III injuries may involve complete disruption of plantar structures, significant swelling or ecchymosis, hallux flexion weakness, or frank instability of the MTP joint. Management of these injuries can be nonsurgical, with immobilization in plantar flexion to allow the plantar structures to oppose and heal. Recently, however, Anderson27 reported on the surgical outcomes of 19 collegiate and professional athletes with grade III turf toe injury who underwent open repair of the ruptured capsuloligamentous complex. All but two athletes returned to their previous level of participation; this finding validates the use of more aggressive management in grade III turf toe injury.
Our preferred technique for managing complete rupture is direct primary repair of the plantar capsuloligamentous complex through a two-incision approach (ie, medial and plantar).28 An important aspect of recovery is appropriate player expectations regarding return to play. Following surgical repair, it may take 6 to 12 months before the player can return to full competition without the need for a protective orthosis or taping. The necessity of surgery appears to be sport- and position-dependent." The table from that article for grade 3 turf toe injuries recommends..."Long-term immobilization in a boot or a cast or surgical reconstruction. Return to play in 10-16 weeks, depending on sport and position. Taping or bracing likely needed."

If (a) this is in fact the diagnosis and prognosis, and (b) he can come back in 10 weeks (with bracing or taping), which does not seem unreasonable given Duke's medical personnel's history with treatment of foot problems and Kyrie's apparent toughness, he would be back for the second Miami game, which would allow him to play in 7 conference games. This would be enough time for him to get up to speed before the postseason.

loran16
12-09-2010, 01:24 AM
If (a) this is in fact the diagnosis and prognosis, and (b) he can come back in 10 weeks (with bracing or taping), which does not seem unreasonable given Duke's medical personnel's history with treatment of foot problems and Kyrie's apparent toughness, he would be back for the second Miami game, which would allow him to play in 7 conference games. This would be enough time for him to get up to speed before the postseason.

So it'd be a boozer-like injury. We could deal.

gam7
12-09-2010, 01:32 AM
So it'd be a boozer-like injury. We could deal.

Well, it's a bit different. I believe Boozer got hurt against Maryland in the second to last conference game of the season and only missed about three weeks. I believe he came back during the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. So, the timing is different with Kyrie's injury and the amount of time he is likely to miss is greater, but yes, we'd at least have him for some of the postseason if the optimistic timeline holds.

billyj
12-09-2010, 01:50 AM
I hope we will have some better information or at least some kind of time table in the next two weeks.

uh_no
12-09-2010, 02:56 AM
its confusing to me that k would make comments about him coming back from this setback earlier today on goduke.com but then after the game make drastic comments like this....

I think much of this is because K is really unconcerned about what the general population knows or doesn't know about injuries on his team (he specifically called out Roy for blabbing on and on about his team's injuries), I think this leads to his not being especially discriminatory in his statements about them....if he contradicted himself slightly, then he really doesn't care because will know when K feels it's important for them to know

WhiteboardGuy
12-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Reading between the lines, it sounds like they are going to try to rehab it over the next month, month and a half, and if he doesn't respond to treatment he'll have to undergo surgery and miss the season. That's why there is so much uncertainty about how long he will be out for.

MarkD83
12-09-2010, 07:10 AM
For now we should wish him a speedy and full recovery.

I also am very impressed that despite the injury he seems to be fully into the game. The TV broadcast last night showed Kyrie talking to Nolan before the game in a very animated way about an offensive play.

This shows a great attitude, which, in my mind, leads to faster recoveries.

Get well soon, Kyrie.

MarkD83
12-09-2010, 07:16 AM
A few other things about Kyrie's injury. We still have 5 players that are capable of scoring 20+ points a night on this team. The big men are also devloping their games nicely.

With Kyrie's injury I imagine the discussion of going undefeated will die down and the psychological pressure on the team related to this should subside.

This team is still fun to watch and getting Kyrie back soon will only be a bonus.

Let's enjoy the journey.

(Can you tell that I am an optimistic person.)

Lord Ash
12-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Man... this is about as heartbreaking an injury as I've ever seen in my time as a Duke fan. Hated K's postgame comment about him possibly being out for the year:(

But yeah, he is a good kid and stayed into it... notice him doing the "Let's Go Duke!" fist pump chant coming into the second half? Good kid.

papa whiskey
12-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Does anybody know when we can expect an official diagnosis and timetable from the Duke staff? I apologize if I missed it earlier in the thread.

devildeac
12-09-2010, 07:51 AM
devildeac called it early; post #29 in this thread.

Thanks, roy. Thought about starting the thread and another poster even suggested that a couple days ago, but I just left my post in this thread, thinking it would end up being merged and part of a mega-thread.

Lord Ash
12-09-2010, 08:36 AM
I know that DBR is generally a forum of intelligent conversation and deep analysis...

... but can I just post that Kyrie's injury makes me very sad?:( If necessary I can elaborate and write an in-depth analysis of the psychology of sadness, but at the moment I am too sad.

Looking forward to seeing Kyrie back in a Duke uniform.

dukeballboy88
12-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Kyrie may be my favorite duke freshman of all time and thats saying alot for me, but I honestly think Duke is still the major favorite to cut the nets down with or without him. I said at the beginning of the season, this team could withstand an injury and still be the best in the nation!

With that being said, "Dear Santa, I want to change my Christmas list and now all I want is Kyries toe to heal properly and as soon as possible!"

moonpie23
12-09-2010, 08:45 AM
serious buzz-stripper thinking he is done for the season and then done at duke :(

let's hope he heals quickly and returns ala boozer for the fracas at the end of the year...

Lord Ash
12-09-2010, 08:52 AM
serious buzz-stripper thinking he is done for the season and then done at duke :(

let's hope he heals quickly and returns ala boozer for the fracas at the end of the year...

Or a la Ty Lawson... that seemed to work out just fine for them!

Huh?
12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm just going to go throw up now.

toooskies
12-09-2010, 09:44 AM
The problem with "turf toe" type injuries is, even when you feel you're good enough to play on it, the chance of re-injury in competitive sports is high. NFL players typically have entire seasons ruined by this injury, because they keep coming back too early. Hopefully a few weeks in the boot will be all Kyrie needs...

Jeff0r3
12-09-2010, 09:57 AM
wow... this is bad news... I was thinking they were just going to let him rest until conference play... If he is out the entire season, that is horrible news. I know that we are an excellent team depth wise.. But, I feel like he is the key to our success this year.
http://serve.mysmiley.net/sad/sad0002.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-happy-smileys.php)

Mal
12-09-2010, 10:01 AM
This really sucks. The prospect of a 7 game collegiate career is really depressing.

Trying to look on the bright side, however, I'm hoping that at the end of the season we're all marvelling at either (i) how well Kyrie healed and reintegrated himself into the team, or (ii) the sacrifice Nolan made, giving up his natural position and scoring average to become All-ACC running the point 35 minutes a night, for the good of the team. If Kyrie doesn't come back, it would not shock me at all if, over the course of the season, Nolan and Andre become a great backcourt in their own right.

jipops
12-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I think much of this is because K is really unconcerned about what the general population knows or doesn't know about injuries on his team (he specifically called out Roy for blabbing on and on about his team's injuries),

This is revisionist history and therefore false. What was then 850 The Buzz mangled K's post game comments to appear as if he was referring to Roy. When the actual post game comments were posted they were nothing like what had been reported by The Buzz. This was a matter of the media manipulating the rivalry.

gofurman
12-09-2010, 10:14 AM
This really sucks. The prospect of a 7 game collegiate career is really depressing.

Trying to look on the bright side, however, I'm hoping that at the end of the season we're all marvelling at either (i) how well Kyrie healed and reintegrated himself into the team, or (ii) the sacrifice Nolan made, giving up his natural position and scoring average to become All-ACC running the point 35 minutes a night, for the good of the team. If Kyrie doesn't come back, it would not shock me at all if, over the course of the season, Nolan and Andre become a great backcourt in their own right.

any chance he might return next season?

slower
12-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Assuming the injury is season-ending, the money question is - Would Kyrie come back or not? And, to be blunt, why would he?

Of course, the other money question is - Can we win it all without him? Yes, I know, we CAN win it without him, but the hill gets MUCH steeper and the odds much greater.

Hopefully, he comes back in-season and we just forget about those two questions.

IrishDevil
12-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Does anybody know when we can expect an official diagnosis and timetable from the Duke staff? I apologize if I missed it earlier in the thread.

In his post-game presser, Coach K repeatedly said that "analyses are being made" and they wouldn't know more for another 10 days or so.

diveonthefloor
12-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Looks like we just have to plan for games (potentially the season) sans Kyrie.

Based on last night's experiments, a couple of observations:

Nolan has the experience to attempt to run the point.
But he is not a natural PG, and will have to adjust (interesting that we said something similar about Scheyer a year and a half ago.)
Some of the adjustments---he will have to sacrifice much of his scoring....Nolan is a much better catch and shoot 3 outside shooter than a dribble/step back shooter. Many of Nolan's successful drives in our offense come from being fed the ball while slashing. Nolan doesn't have the kind of Kyrie-type skills to get his own shot and AT THE SAME TIME, run the point.

All that being said, I feel slightly better about Nolan adjusting to the point (especially defensively) than I did when Jon was forced into a similar position.

I don't think Tyler is near ready enough for long minutes at the point. I wish he were. Hope I am wrong about that.

On the upside, Dre looks perfectly suited for long minutes at the two position, both offensively and defensively. He also rebounds well.
Seth is going to log more minutes also and needs to make the most of each minute he has on the floor.

oldnavy
12-09-2010, 10:35 AM
There is a lot we do not know, but we do know this:

-Kyrie is in the best medical situation possible, with the resources’ at DUMC and the ability to bring in national experts
-Kyrie will not sit back and malinger, he is a tuff young man, and he will be working very hard to get back, so if it is at all possible it will happen
-We have as deep a backcourt as there is in the country, so we are in good shape to take a major hit like this and actually not miss much of a beat
-K has proven time and again that he can adapt, and I am sure he will again

So, considering we cannot control any of this, I am going to choose to focus on what we do know and stay positive. Get well soon KI!!

davekay1971
12-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Avoiding any speculation regarding Kyrie's possible return, I'm just going to wish him all the best. If, as has been indicated, this is a ligament injury, it's vital that he does not rush getting back. Pain and/or weakness in that toe would really hamper his explosiveness. He needs to take time letting the ligaments heal before he tries to return to gameplay. I'd rather lose the enjoyment of watching him play this year than see him end up with a chronic or nagging problem that would in any way bother his career down the road.

KandG
12-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Kind of hard to sugarcoat how much this sucks. With that said, there's obviously a lot of speculation that is just that (Seth Davis just tweeted that there's a "55%" chance Kyrie's done for the year).

As others have said, the team is still talented enough to be there at the end, and an injury to Kyrie, as talented as he is, isn't the most damaging to title hopes -- Mason being hurt would be worse (because we have better depth at guard than inside, where we're weaker). Still, we're now back to our "point-less" situation, where we have a lot of talented combo guards trying to play point, and maybe Kyle with a more prominent point-forward role if we adjust our offense a bit.

I am curious to see how our team evolves and what adjustments K makes, and I wish all the best to Kyrie for the quickest possible recovery.

slower
12-09-2010, 10:43 AM
As others have said, the team is still talented enough to be there at the end, and an injury to Kyrie, as talented as he is, isn't the most damaging to title hopes -- Mason being hurt would be worse (because we have better depth at guard than inside, where we're weaker).

Gonna have to process that statement for a while.

MisterRoddy
12-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Gonna have to process that statement for a while.

Agreed. I will go ahead and say that Kyrie is the one I LEAST wanted to see injured. Of course, I don't want anyone to be injured but Kyrie was the identity of our team.

PADukeMom
12-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Oh my Lord people...calm down or you are liable to be mistaken for Kentucky or Carolina fans.
Last night we started 5 players who are NCAA Champions. 'Dre went off for 28 points. Okay I realize that 28 points against Bradley isn't the same as 31 points against K State but 28 points is 28 points.
At first this team looked so confused but they settled down nicely. Did any of you notice how hard Kyrie was studying the game & it seemed like he was coaching Nolan. He is learning people & that is a good thing. There is also no more Kyrie watching by the team either.
If Kyrie is able to come back this season, he is going to come back with fresh legs that John Wall didn't last year.
Heal Kyrie.

Devil07
12-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Oh my Lord people...calm down or you are liable to be mistaken for Kentucky or Carolina fans.

Not to pinpoint you in particular, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being concerned about this situation. We built our entire offensive and defensive strategies around having Kyrie out there. While I'm sure that we can and will adjust, we are going to have to play a significantly different style of ball if he's out for an extended period of time. Even Coach K said last night that this "changes everything." With the kind of expectations that we have for this team, that's a really big deal. I'm not proclaiming that "it's over" or any such nonsense, but I don't know how Duke fans can't be somewhat concerned.

slower
12-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Last night we started 5 players who are NCAA Champions. 'Dre went off for 28 points. Okay I realize that 28 points against Bradley isn't the same as 31 points against K State but 28 points is 28 points.
At first this team looked so confused but they settled down nicely. Did any of you notice how hard Kyrie was studying the game & it seemed like he was coaching Nolan. He is learning people & that is a good thing. There is also no more Kyrie watching by the team either.
If Kyrie is able to come back this season, he is going to come back with fresh legs that John Wall didn't last year.
Heal Kyrie.

We're FANS - this is what we do!

Uh, yeah - Bradley is NOT K-State.

If Kyrie heals, fantastic. If not, it presents potentially serious issues. Everything may, indeed, be fine. But we're not all going to become ostriches, either.

roywhite
12-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Heal Kyrie.

Agree.

Duke minus Kyrie is still better than all but possibly (and emphasize possibly) a handful of teams in the country.

The champ, after opening strong, just got hit with a punch to the chin and was staggered; but it came in the 2nd round of a 15-round fight. Don't count the champ out. Our guy in the corner has been through this before and he's the best in the country.

MisterRoddy
12-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Heal Kyrie.

I don't think anyone is really that much worried about our team, but the whole Duke fanbase was excited to watch Kyrie Irving, maybe the best point guard in the Nation, and give us a weapon that we haven't had since Jason Williams. Kyrie is dynamic, exciting, and overall a good kid and we hate to see a great kid like that have to, quite possibly, sit out an entire year that got off to such a great start.

I, for one, was very excited every time Kyrie stepped on the court and I pray he comes back next season.