PDA

View Full Version : Need Recruiting Fix!!!!!!

lilblue
12-06-2010, 01:37 AM
What's the latest on our recruits (Murphy, Shabazz, Purvis , Parker, etc...), haven't heard a whole lot lately and was wondering if anyone in the know had any info that they'd like to share with the rest of us!

Gthoma2a
12-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Supposedly, Shabazz enjoyed his weekend visit to UNC. He got several cheers during the game, and he watched UNC win its first game against a ranked opponent. He said something about he thought he could run for mayor there.

Purvis was agitated with UNC people by his twitter, but he doesn't have an offer, so we have two reasons to be happy with him.

That is all I have read (and I have no real inside info).

airowe
12-06-2010, 10:36 AM
We are in very good position for all four of the guys you mentioned. Duke is recruiting very well right now.

superdave
12-06-2010, 11:17 AM
We are in very good position for all four of the guys you mentioned. Duke is recruiting very well right now.

Any of these guys likely to make decisions between now and next August? Or is this a waiting game for the fans?

airowe
12-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Any of these guys likely to make decisions between now and next August? Or is this a waiting game for the fans?

I can honestly say I have no idea. I'd be a little surprised if any of these guys made a decision before the summer AAU circuit was over, and be very surprised if Bazz made a decision before the November signing period.

watzone
12-06-2010, 11:52 AM
The Duke coaches are gearing up for several Holiday high school tournaments where they will see several players during December. After that, the picture will clear a tad more but don't expect but so much to happen during the season other than some visits from prospects to games. The biggest, best and most interesting tournament with concerns to Duke recruiting will the the City of Palms event in Florida.

jimsumner
12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Gosh,

If only there was some other Duke-basketball related activity to take our minds off the lack of movement in recruiting. :)

-bdbd
12-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Gosh,

If only there was some other Duke-basketball related activity to take our minds off the lack of movement in recruiting. :)

Didn't they used to say about the ACC that there are really THREE ACC BB seasons.... The regular season, the post-season and then recruiting season. Fortunately for us fans the recruiting one is a year-round event!

With Austin, QC, MG and MP3 I think we just "won" the most recent recruiting season!!

:cool:

MartyClark
12-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Gosh,

I'm with you. As important as recruiting is, I'm content to largely ignore it during the season and enjoy the games.

dukeballboy88
12-06-2010, 10:32 PM
My IC premium board member said Shabazz and Purvis are dead serious about playing together and Roy aint going to offer Purvis. He went on to say Roy dont like it when kids challenge his coaching like Purvis supposedly did on twitter!

LSanders
12-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Shabazz, at 6'5", is either a nice size 2 or a short 3. Purvis, at 6'3", is a 2. Not saying there aren't good programs that would happily take both, but why would two kids that essentially play the same position make it a deal-breaker to go different places?

Could be true, but I have my doubts.

gam7
12-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Shabazz, at 6'5", is either a nice size 2 or a short 3. Purvis, at 6'3", is a 2. Not saying there aren't good programs that would happily take both, but why would two kids that essentially play the same position make it a deal-breaker to go different places?

Could be true, but I have my doubts.

Based on what I've seen, they are very different players and easily could play together. I believe it was Jim Sumner or airowe who said Shabazz was being recruited as a 3. Purvis is a 2 now but I believe he is considered to be a combo guard in college.

Having said that, I too am skeptical that their being able to play together will be a dealbreaker. I know kids always say that they want to play with so and so, but when it comes down to it, each kid will do what is best for himself. Shabazz and Purvis have made it this far without playing with each other much and when it comes down to it, their playing together is unlikely to be dealbreaker no matter what they say right now. If they played for the same high school, AAU team or were related to each other I might feel differently. Just my personal thoughts on the matter.

Gthoma2a
12-07-2010, 08:38 AM
I can honestly say I have no idea. I'd be a little surprised if any of these guys made a decision before the summer AAU circuit was over, and be very surprised if Bazz made a decision before the November signing period.

Do you think it means anything that Shabazz has had 4 (I think) visits to UNC, including their Late Night with a C-rate coach (being generous), and said they helped their position with him? I am a bit nervous about that. I know the two want to play together, and Purvis is not a UNC guy, but is Shabazz trying to head that direction to you?

airowe
12-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Do you think it means anything that Shabazz has had 4 (I think) visits to UNC, including their Late Night with a C-rate coach (being generous), and said they helped their position with him? I am a bit nervous about that. I know the two want to play together, and Purvis is not a UNC guy, but is Shabazz trying to head that direction to you?

He's visited UNC 3 times to my knowledge. One of those times he went there the day after watching 82-50 from behind Duke's bench.

He'll visit us for the UVA game and the coaching staff has been doing an excellent job illustrating how much better Duke utilizes their wings and puts them in a better position to excel than our biggest competition in this race, UNC.

Still a long ways to go, but I definitely like our chances.

HCheek37
12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Good to see that Quinn is doing a little recruiting for us...

QCook323 - @rpurvis_44 @phenom15balla both yall need to stop playin and come play wit ya big bro in college!! Haha! RiP DAD!

Shabazz replied with -

Phenom15balla - @QCook323 bro I'm really thinking about it !!!!

As is always the case with twitter, the info and statements aren't worth reading into too much but its nice to see Q giving some love to two of the top recruits for 2012

Gthoma2a
12-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks, as always, for the info Airowe.

That is what I love. We have guys who have the kind of character that people gravitate towards. Nolan has it. Quinn has it. Austin has it. You will also notice that our guys are pulling people into the program. Zeller didn't even work hard enough on his brother to convince him to play with him.

dbluedevil222
12-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Nolan didn't recruit Quinn (according to Nolan AND Quinn). If I was Tyler I would want what's best for my brother, not necessarily my program. Therefore I'd let him make his own decision... which he appeared to do.

NSDukeFan
12-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks, as always, for the info Airowe.

That is what I love. We have guys who have the kind of character that people gravitate towards. Nolan has it. Quinn has it. Austin has it. You will also notice that our guys are pulling people into the program. Zeller didn't even work hard enough on his brother to convince him to play with him.

I don't think that's fair. I certainly wouldn't have felt any less of Miles or Mason if Marshall had decided he wanted to go somewhere else and not follow in the footsteps of his big brothers. I am delighted that he will be coming. Otherwise, I agree that Duke has recruited some very good people who make it more fun to cheer for the team.

JasonEvans
12-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Zeller didn't even work hard enough on his brother to convince him to play with him.

If fairness, Cody Zeller made his own decision about where he felt best and where he wanted to play. Tyler may have recruited him hard and it may not have made any difference. If Marshall Plumlee had decided to play for Wisconsin (as was strongly rumored a few months back) would that have meant that Mason and Miles did not care enough about Duke to bring him over?

That said, it is generally easier to sign a kid when you already have a positive connection with the family. That makes Roy losing out on Cody, to a school that has lately struggled to be relevant on the national stage, all the more mystifying.

--Jason "mystifying... and fun!" Evans

Gthoma2a
12-07-2010, 03:16 PM
That is kind of my point regarding their personality. I know Nolan didn't actively recruit Quinn, but seeing a guy he knew and respected so happy about where he was had the effect. I think just hanging out with Nolan around Duke would tip the scales because of his personality. The new guys actively doing it is new, but they do it with the same sort of charm that Nolan has. Remember that Austin's comment meant that much to Quinn, now Quinn is talking to the duo of Purvis and Shabazz.

I suppose, but the stories about the seperation between Tyler and the rest of the players gained credence in my mind the day that happened.

-bdbd
12-07-2010, 03:49 PM
If fairness, Cody Zeller made his own decision about where he felt best and where he wanted to play. Tyler may have recruited him hard and it may not have made any difference. If Marshall Plumlee had decided to play for Wisconsin (as was strongly rumored a few months back) would that have meant that Mason and Miles did not care enough about Duke to bring him over?

That said, it is generally easier to sign a kid when you already have a positive connection with the family. That makes Roy losing out on Cody, to a school that has lately struggled to be relevant on the national stage, all the more mystifying.

--Jason "mystifying... and fun!" Evans

I agree that it is not fair to "put it" on the middle Zeller brother that he didn't recruit his younger sibling hard enough.

Sort of a tangent to what Airowee posted, however, that once a family has a kid in a major program like Duke or NC@CH the family gains a lot of insight into the internal workings of the program, the Head Coach and other coaches/staff, and the school itself. To me it is more interesting (and entertaining!) that the youngest Zeller, having all of that insight, chose to go elsewhere than to follow his brother into Roy's program. I think that says something.

- BD- "Not like the kid/family didn't well know what he'd be getting into in CH" -BD

jimsumner
12-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Note that Duke did not sign Danny Hurley, Jason Capel, Baker Dunleavy, Charles Boozer, E.J. Singler or Darius Nelson.

Class of '94
12-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Note that Duke did not sign Danny Hurley, Jason Capel, Baker Dunleavy, Charles Boozer, E.J. Singler or Darius Nelson.

But to be fair, I don't think Duke was acting recruiting many of the siblings your listed. Saying htat, I understand and appreciate your point.

MartyClark
12-07-2010, 04:52 PM

I'm curious. Did Duke have any real interest in signing any of these guys? I assume, but don't know, that we may have had an interest in Jason Capel. How about the other guys?

superdave
12-07-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm curious. Did Duke have any real interest in signing any of these guys? I assume, but don't know, that we may have had an interest in Jason Capel. How about the other guys?

Jason Capel was 6'8'' but could not dunk. I think he was somehow a top 10 or so recruit, along with Ronald Curry (#1) and KD Lang (top 15?).

Indoor66
12-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Jason Capel was 6'8'' but could not dunk. I think he was somehow a top 10 or so recruit, along with Ronald Curry (#1) and KD Lang (top 15?).

LOL at K D Lang - he should have been so good.

SuperTurkey
12-07-2010, 07:15 PM
http://www.deaconarchive.net/image/opponents/krislang.JPG

SilkyJ
12-07-2010, 07:17 PM
^never gets old...

juise
12-07-2010, 08:16 PM
^never gets old...

Nor does it get less nauseating.

superdave
12-07-2010, 08:21 PM
^never gets old...

Here's one recruiting ranking from 1998.
(http://statsheet.com/bhsb/recruiting_class/1998/college)

This may be the best recruiting update you can get until some guys from Class of 2012 start thinking about commitment!

juise
12-07-2010, 08:37 PM

This may be the best recruiting update you can get until some guys from Class of 2012 start thinking about commitment!

It looks like those rankings are from the RSCI (http://www.rscihoops.com/) list. It's somewhat amusing that the two Duke players on the list (Corey and Dahntay) missed playing with each other by three seasons. It's always interesting to see where certain players ended up and what they accomplished during their collegiate career.

(A personal aside: I went to school with two of the players on that list, Fred Jones and Dennis Nathan, probably the two most talented players to come out of my hometown. So that list is especially nostalgic for me.)

SilkyJ
12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
(A personal aside: I went to school with two of the players on that list, Fred Jones and Dennis Nathan, probably the two most talented players to come out of my hometown. So that list is especially nostalgic for me.)

what ever happened to Fred? Watching his dunks in college were awesome. I seem to remember him spending some time with the pacers in the L, but I think he was out after 4 or 5 seasons maybe?

check that, looks like (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_jones/career_stats.html) fred stuck around for a few more years after his days in Indy, though he didn't play in the League last year.

Devilsfan
12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
It might sound cruel but I don't think Duke really wanted to waste a scholarship on many of their players siblings mentioned above. Where carolina is concerned I truely believe Zeller cared enough about his younger brother to guide him away from ol roy.

dchen09
12-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Well, here's an updated recruiting ranking from scout.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2011

Nothing really next. Rivers at 3, Cook at 21, Gbinjie at 23, and Plumlee at 67.

juise
12-07-2010, 08:52 PM
what ever happened to Fred? Watching his dunks in college were awesome. I seem to remember him spending some time with the pacers in the L, but I think he was out after 4 or 5 seasons maybe?

check that, looks like (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_jones/career_stats.html) fred stuck around for a few more years after his days in Indy, though he didn't play in the League last year.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Jones) says that he signed in China. It looks like he just recently started (http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2010-12/07/content_21493338.htm) playing there.

If you want a real challenge, try to figure out what Casey Sanders is up to. :)

SuperTurkey
12-07-2010, 10:32 PM
If you want a real challenge, try to figure out what Casey Sanders is up to. :)

Casey Sanders posts at DBR under the name 'greybeard'

jimsumner
12-08-2010, 12:22 PM
It might sound cruel but I don't think Duke really wanted to waste a scholarship on many of their players siblings mentioned above. Where carolina is concerned I truely believe Zeller cared enough about his younger brother to guide him away from ol roy.

I probably didn't make my point with sufficient clarity. My point was that there is no expectation that a younger sibling will automatically follow an older sibling to the same school.

Danny Hurley and Baker Dunleavy informed Duke fairly early that they did not want to follow their brothers to the same school. Duke almost certainly would have pursued Hurley otherwise. He was good enough to not only start for Seton Hall but twice lead them in assists, at over 5 per game.

Jason Capel, who could dunk, btw, was considered a strong Duke lean until Jeff's senior season, when he was booed late in a miserable performance against Florida State.

The family didn't appreciate it. And turned its attentions elsewhere.

He ended up starting for a Final Four team in 2000 and was third-team All-ACC in 2002.

I cannot agree that bringing in either Hurley or Capel would have been a "wasted" scholarship. And I would also note than E.J. Singler's performance against Duke last month suggests that he has a pretty solid game.

Dunleavy and Boozer likely would never have played at Duke, although they did earn scholarships to schools in power conferences.

A perfect example of what we were talking about concerns the Buckley family. Jay Buckley was the starting center for Duke's first two Final Four teams, 1963 and 1964. His much younger brother Bruce was a high school senior in 1973. Duke's coaching situation was unstable to say the least in 1973 and Jay suggested that Bruce also look elsewhere.

He also ended up at Carolina.

Note that Jay's son Clay came to Duke.

pfrduke
12-08-2010, 01:08 PM

That was a fun trip down memory lane. The most entertaining one is the Class of 2000, which featured the #6 ranked recruiting class of Adam Boone, Brian Morrison, and Neil Fingleton. Whoops.

As an aside, that 2000 class was really, really bad. Lots of high ranked players who didn't amount to much in college, let alone the NBA.

nmduke2001
12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Apparently, the union wants the rule prohibiting players going straight to the league from high school abolished.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5899152

Assuming this is passed quickly (not likely) does anyone know what this means for current recruits like AR?

94duke
12-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Apparently, the union wants the rule prohibiting players going straight to the league from high school abolished.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5899152

Assuming this is passed quickly (not likely) does anyone know what this means for current recruits like AR?

see the one-and-done...done thread:
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23408-One-and-dones...-done

Billy Dat
12-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Do any of you recruiting-heads have thoughts on Purvis to Louisville?

airowe
12-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Do any of you recruiting-heads have thoughts on Purvis to Louisville?

Louisville gave him the guarantee to start from Day One. Duke can't and won't do such a thing.

Glad he did it when he did, as it gives Duke a chance to readjust their priorities.

Huh?
12-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Glad he did it when he did, as it gives Duke a chance to readjust their priorities.

I take it the usual suspects?
Murphy, Muhammed, Paker...
Who else?
Tarczewski, Sulaimon?

Bluedog
12-13-2010, 12:07 PM
I take it the usual suspects?
Murphy, Muhammed, Paker...
Who else?
Tarczewski, Sulaimon?

We're no longer recruiting Kaleb from what I've heard. Seems like with Purvis to Louisville, Sulaimon becomes a higher priority target and some people are expecting Duke to offer soon...So, I'd say this news allows Duke to focus on Rasheed and/or Muhammed. I've also heard Amile Jefferson's name floating around...Duke actively recruiting him? Seems like Murphy is the #1 target in the class for Duke. On another note, what the heck happened to JP Tokoto? He has plummeted in the rankings, but holds offers from Duke and UNC among other programs. But seems like they're no longer interested in him really.

Purvis handled this recruitment very well ... no hoopla. When he knew where he wanted to go, he quickly informed the coaches and made his decision. Didn't drag it out at all. I like it and respect how he did it. Good luck to Rodney.

AlaskanAssassin
12-13-2010, 12:37 PM
This is 2011, but it looks like unc is desperate for a big man: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=finkelstein_adam&id=5906495&action=upsell&app

Weren't we recruiting him at one point?

Bluedog
12-13-2010, 12:44 PM
This is 2011, but it looks like unc is desperate for a big man: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=finkelstein_adam&id=5906495&action=upsell&app

Weren't we recruiting him at one point?

Looks like he visited Duke for CTC but we never offered him.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/02/one-on-one-with-prospect-desmond-hubert/
http://dukebasketballinsider.wordpress.com/2009/09/28/desmond-hubert-class-of-2011-power-forward-set-to-visit-duke/

Scout has him as the #13 C and a 3-star recruit. Not in the top 100 overall. Rivals has him as the #15 C and a 3-star recruit, ranked 131 overall.

airowe
12-13-2010, 01:45 PM
BlueDog summed everything up quite nicely.

Besides Murphy, Bazz, Parker, and Sulaimon, there are many names out there and will become out there over the course of the year.

Amile Jefferson, Cameron Ridley, and others are definitely targets but I'm sure that list will grow as the staff gets out on the trail over the next month and into the summer/fall.

Huh?
12-14-2010, 12:19 PM
BlueDog summed everything up quite nicely.

Besides Murphy, Bazz, Parker, and Sulaimon, there are many names out there and will become out there over the course of the year.

Amile Jefferson, Cameron Ridley, and others are definitely targets but I'm sure that list will grow as the staff gets out on the trail over the next month and into the summer/fall.

Whatever happened with us and Justin Anderson?

airowe
12-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Whatever happened with us and Justin Anderson?

Justin's skill level hasn't really caught up to his athleticism like it was originally projected to. That's not as much of an insult as you'd think though, because he is an amazing athlete.

AlaskanAssassin
12-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Will Coach K be visiting Shabazz anytime soon?

On his twitter (http://twitter.com/phenom15balla):

The game was good coach Williams from north carolina was there and Arizona ,Kentucky ,and ucla !!!

The only coach named in the group, smh.

airowe
12-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Shabazz will be here on January 15th for the UVA game and is playing in some tournaments where the Duke coaches will be in attendance.

AlaskanAssassin
12-14-2010, 07:51 PM
some update on Rasheed Sulaimon:

http://www.fanfeedr.com/ncaa-basketball/2010/12/14/whispers-duke-looking-in-houston

Spoke
12-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Coach K was in Atlanta last night recruiting Tony Parker:

Coach K in ATL (http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-school-sports/2010/12/14/dukes-coach-k-to-make-special-visit-to-atlanta-tonight-guess-who-he-is-here-to-see/)

Coach K's comments after the game (http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-school-sports/2010/12/14/guess-what-dukes-mike-krzyzewski-had-to-say-after-scouting-one-of-atlantas-top-prospects-in-person/)

More on Parker here (http://hsgeorgia.scout.com/2/972103.html)