PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Netflix movies

Jarhead
12-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Netflix has just come out with a new level of membership in which a member can get access to instant movies rather than DVDs for $7.99 a month. Mrs Jarhead and I have made good use of our membership, but the monthly cost is rising a coupla' bucks. Everything we watch, just about, has been available for streaming. My question -- do I need to get one of those boxes such as Roku to stream Netflix stuff to my HDTV, or can I just stream through my computer? I've already done that for the Duke-Colgate game from ESPN3, but with some difficulty. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/6.gif

pacificrounder
12-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Netflix has just come out with a new level of membership in which a member can get access to instant movies rather than DVDs for $7.99 a month. Mrs Jarhead and I have made good use of our membership, but the monthly cost is rising a coupla' bucks. Everything we watch, just about, has been available for streaming. My question -- do I need to get one of those boxes such as Roku to stream Netflix stuff to my HDTV, or can I just stream through my computer? I've already done that for the Duke-Colgate game from ESPN3, but with some difficulty. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/6.gif

You can absolutely stream through your computer. The Netflix site is fairly simple and easy to use and I've always found the streaming quality to be above average. That said, you will need a Roku-box type device in order to stream it directly to your TV. You always have the option to connect a laptop to the TV (which requires the right ports and the right connector cables) but that can be a hassle with setting it up and then wanting to use the laptop away from the TV.

You can also stream Netflix through gaming devices like the Xbox360 and PS3 if that's of interest at all.

OldPhiKap
12-05-2010, 10:07 PM
I have streamed through my laptop as well as the kid's Wii. Both worked extremely well, much better than ESPN3.

(And, if you want, it's not that difficult to hook the laptop to most HD televisions -- see the cables you need, and check the internet for prices before bebopping down to the local Electronic Emporium).

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-06-2010, 11:29 AM

Is your question whether you can stream from Netflix to your TV via your computer? If so, I guess it could be done, but I'm not sure if it's worth it every time you want to watch a movie or show. Netflix players have been added to many devices, but if you're looking for a standalone player for just that, I think a Roku would work very well for you. I have read that the middle priced one (XD - $80) is the one to go with.

Kdogg
12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
You can use your laptop, a Roku, an Apple TV, a Wii, a PS3, a XBOX 360, or a DVD/Blu Ray player with built in Netflix. If your laptop has an HDMI port it should be fairly easy to hook it to a TV. Price wise the Apple TV or Blu Ray player will be the cheapest at $100.

moonpie23
12-06-2010, 01:31 PM
they have announced the 1080p for the PS3 and it's pretty awesome......the iphone app, not as awesome as my slingbox, either web or app based.....but it's ok..

big problem with the number of titles available....ugh..

Jarhead
12-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Too many choices. I'm going to give the cheapest one a test before I spend any money. That would be my laptop with an HDMI cable connecting to the HDTV. I have stumbled on a blog from Associatedcontent from Yahoo (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2718487/how_to_stream_netflix_movies_and_tv_pg2.html?cat=1 5) that describes, step by step, how to do the deed in several ways. I've also found a Roku device for $60 that I may consider. That probably won't get me 1080p though.

MY first choice in the blog, the laptop to HDTV via HDMI, offers instructions either for going via the Netflix website, or by using Windows Media center. The latter requires a download of a Netflix plug in for media center. As long as I am not spending money, those are my choices, but when I decide to spend money, Roku will rank high. I may just get a Roku for Mrs Jarhead's HDTV where she can watch her chick flicks, and go with the HDMI laptop to HDTV for the the other stuff. I'll let you know how things turn out. Thanks for the suggestions, and don't rush me. I'm retired.

onepresent
12-07-2010, 12:33 PM
I have lowered expectations when it comes to Netflix resolution. When I stream Netflix on my desktop, which is wired directly to my router, the video quality is acceptable but not close to 1080p. I'm in Durham and have the fastest broadband service that TimeWarner Cable offers the home user.

Because I'm mac based I'm looking into the AppleTV option, which will allow me to stream wireless and hopefully save me some setup headaches. AppleTV is rated only 720p, but I'll be very happy if I get that much resolution.

Jarhead
12-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Well, so much for doing the research. I just
ordered the Roku XD direct from Roku at a
reduced price of $69.99, special for today
and tomorrow only. It is a 1080P player,
and from all the stuff I have checked, the
easiest way to go. It's wireless, so no
connection worries.
OOOrah.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/greetings/clapyellow.gif

Jarhead
12-10-2010, 03:38 PM
The deed is done. My Roku is in and working, but there was some difficulty. My Roku runs in the wireless mode for its internet connection. At first, I was able to get through the rather simple sequence of steps until it tried to download some updates. In every instance it failed, and I could not activate my service.

That's when I learned that Roku has pretty bad telephone support, and worse online support. I talked to two different guys in India. The first went thru the standard of rebooting my devices. I was a little bit hot under the collar, and when he told me to reboot my modem, I forgot that my home phones were digital. Presto, he disappeared. The next guy went through the same routine, but I'm not going to be stupid twice on the same day. He ended up telling me that I should contact my router manufacturer, and ask that they help me disable the router's firewall.
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/angry/screaming.gif
I did go to Linksys, but the guy there was more interested in selling support service. After trying Roku's chat room, in expectation of connecting with someone who knew what to do about my problem, but no joy there, either. I was about to give up, and thinking about sending the Roku back. Before doing that, I moved the Roku box about eight feet closer to the router, and tried it one more time. Is there a smiley of a dope slapping himself in the head as he says "Duh"? Now I have to train myself to point the Roku remote into the next room instead of at the TV. One final thing -- it's a Roku XD, which sends a 1080P stream to my HDTV. Shazam, I am now the neighborhood expert on movie streaming.
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/78.gif

Jim3k
12-11-2010, 08:11 PM
I know you said nothing about having a Tivo, but if you do, you can run Netflix through it, straight to the TV, including the HD movies. Of course you need the HD Tivo for that, but if you already have it...

Jarhead
12-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I know you said nothing about having a Tivo, but if you do, you can run Netflix through it, straight to the TV, including the HD movies. Of course you need the HD Tivo for that, but if you already have it...

No Tivo, Jim. Just a couple of TWC DVRs. The Roku is doing the job. It pulled out the movies available for streaming from my Netflix queue, and put them up on the TV screen for selection. They also offered a search function for movies and TV shows. This'll keep us busy for a good while. Thanks for your input.

moonpie23
12-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I have lowered expectations when it comes to Netflix resolution. When I stream Netflix on my desktop, which is wired directly to my router, the video quality is acceptable but not close to 1080p. I'm in Durham and have the fastest broadband service that TimeWarner Cable offers the home user.

Because I'm mac based I'm looking into the AppleTV option, which will allow me to stream wireless and hopefully save me some setup headaches. AppleTV is rated only 720p, but I'll be very happy if I get that much resolution.

the 1080p is only thru the PS3

Jarhead
12-12-2010, 10:28 AM

Nope, the Roku XD model is 1080P (http://shop.roku.com/Roku-Streaming-Player-Options-W5.aspx). That's what I just purchased for seventy bucks.

SuperTurkey
12-12-2010, 05:41 PM

As onepresent mentioned above, I wouldn't treat 1080p as a key selling point for the foreseeable future. NetFlix videos, even those which claim HD quality, are compressed such that you are more likely to get something like the 480p of DVDs. That's on the NetFlix side. Whether you are streaming it to your TV over a 480p, 720p, or 1080i/p link in your house, you will likely see the same quality of picture.

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Jarhead, glad the Roku's working out. I've wanted one for awhile but I get by using the Xbox's features despite it not being as simple a solution as a Roku (and the fan noise is pretty awful).

If you're looking for a tedious way to spend an evening/weekend and want to open some holes in your walls or ceiling, you could run some cat5e from whatever room your router is to the room with the tv/roku. Take the wifi right out of the equation!

Jarhead
12-13-2010, 12:11 PM
As onepresent mentioned above, I wouldn't treat 1080p as a key selling point for the foreseeable future. NetFlix videos, even those which claim HD quality, are compressed such that you are more likely to get something like the 480p of DVDs. That's on the NetFlix side. Whether you are streaming it to your TV over a 480p, 720p, or 1080i/p link in your house, you will likely see the same quality of picture.

Yeah, I thought about that also. In any situation, I can only expect the quality of picture that comes from the source. I'm not even sure that TWC is giving me 10801I/P, as they claim. Actually, 720P is not bad. Sometimes the pictures our TV screens are startling in their quality.

Jarhead, glad the Roku's working out. I've wanted one for awhile but I get by using the Xbox's features despite it not being as simple a solution as a Roku (and the fan noise is pretty awful).

If you're looking for a tedious way to spend an evening/weekend and want to open some holes in your walls or ceiling, you could run some cat5e from whatever room your router is to the room with the tv/roku. Take the wifi right out of the equation!

I was pretty close to doing just that, but I would have found myself fixing the crawl space door, and cleaning out the lint pipe from the dryer in the laundry. I'd rather be doing that when temperatures are little more comfortable. They're both day long jobs, at my speed.

Udaman
12-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Just started doing this with a PS3. Pretty impressed with how clear the picture is. It definitely looks HD, and near 1080p (was watching old 30 Rocks). Haven't downloaded a movie yet...will likely try tonight.

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-13-2010, 08:11 PM
I was pretty close to doing just that, but I would have found myself fixing the crawl space door, and cleaning out the lint pipe from the dryer in the laundry. I'd rather be doing that when temperatures are little more comfortable. They're both day long jobs, at my speed.

Yeah, I spent a long frustrating night fishing cable from one end of the house to the other mostly b/c I wanted to avoid any wifi issues in the basement (also to prepare for COD Black Ops, but that's another incredibly geeky story)

DevilAlumna
12-15-2010, 01:10 AM

Out here, my brother-in-law is a cable installer by day and freelances CAT-5 cable installations for extra $ on the side. He picks up gigs through craigslist. You might be able to find similar in your area, if you don't want to do it yourself.

Otherwise, glad to hear Roku is working for you! I may consider that for my parents at some point.

I've been enjoying the Netflix app on my new Windows Phone 7; it's great to stream TV episodes while I'm doing dishes in the kitchen! (No TV in there.)

murpho
12-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Wanted to let all the Netflix users on this thread know that "Dean Spanley" is coming back to Netflix's instant viewing availability this Saturday. You can not yet get this film on Region 1 (US) DVDs, its NZ film production.

I highly recommend this film, excellent performances by Jeremy Northram, Peter O'Toole, Sam Neil and Bryan Brown.