PDA

View Full Version : An Observation

dukeimac
12-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Many people come here and like to "debate" things. I do take an exception to the fact that they want to debate things they have no experience with.

Debating how Coach recruits, sets his player rotation or his schedule is something that should be left to people who have experience coaching a top ranked college team. You can't debate something you have no knowledge of. What you show is that you are person who "wants" to act like you know something rather than someone who "actually" knows something.

I know people are upset that Barnes picked UNC, Kenny picked Florida and Adams de-committed and picked G'town. But Coach K has done a excellent job with recruits. People were upset because he didn't play his bench enough last year but look what happened. I have coached as high as a varsity high school football and basketball team and I am in no position to "debate" anything Coach K does.

Don't question Coach K, EVER! The guy has been there and done that and you haven't. Debate if you look good in a dress or if your hair style looks good but never question anything Coach K does, unless you have been there and done that. The biggest problem people who debate such things is they lack the knowledge, there is so much that is going on that they don't see or know of that goes into the decisions he makes. Thus, there is no way anyone except someone who has been there and done that can "debate" what Coach does. No one!

MulletMan
12-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Many people come here and like to "debate" things. I do take an exception to the fact that they want to debate things they have no experience with.

Debating how Coach recruits, sets his player rotation or his schedule is something that should be left to people who have experience coaching a top ranked college team. You can't debate something you have no knowledge of. What you show is that you are person who "wants" to act like you know something rather than someone who "actually" knows something.

I know people are upset that Barnes picked UNC, Kenny picked Florida and Adams de-committed and picked G'town. But Coach K has done a excellent job with recruits. People were upset because he didn't play his bench enough last year but look what happened. I have coached as high as a varsity high school football and basketball team and I am in no position to "debate" anything Coach K does.

Don't question Coach K, EVER! The guy has been there and done that and you haven't. Debate if you look good in a dress or if your hair style looks good but never question anything Coach K does, unless you have been there and done that. The biggest problem people who debate such things is they lack the knowledge, there is so much that is going on that they don't see or know of that goes into the decisions he makes. Thus, there is no way anyone except someone who has been there and done that can "debate" what Coach does. No one!

Dukeimac, while I kind of understand what you're saying here, I think that maybe you're going a bit too far in your presumption that every action that K takes is beyond reproach all the time. People do come to this board to discuss things. People do sometimes question minutes, strategies, lineups, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as someone puts forth a well thought out and reasonable argument. If we're not going to discuss the good and bad of Duke basketball, then we probably should just shut the board down.

hughgs
12-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Debating how Coach recruits, sets his player rotation or his schedule is something that should be left to people who have experience coaching a top ranked college team. You can't debate something you have no knowledge of.

Here is where your logic breaks down. Just because you don't have experience "coaching a top ranked college team" doesn't mean that you have "no knowledge" of coaching.

jimsumner
12-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Wow, where did that come from? Taken at face value, you're suggesting that only a few dozen people on the planet have any real insights to share on Duke basketball. Trust me, I understand your frustration with the signal to noise ratio that seems fundamental to the internet universe. But this seems a bit limiting.

Most people on this and other boards who talk about things beyond their knowledge base are quickly exposed and recognized.

rocketeli
12-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I think the OP as a valid point, although a bit forcefully expressed. I wouldn't think we need to shut down all our boards-the fun is reading and communicating with other people who are also really into Duke basketball. However, I too get tired of the kind of "fan" who seems to think that just because they are a fan their opinion is automatically equivalent to that of the professionals with years of training and experience..Coach K and his staff have forgotten more about basketball that the entire DBR board community currently knows. I don't like the development in recent years of the hypercritical fan who constantly puts down their own team. Does anyone not think that every player wants to score 30 points, pull down 15 rebounds, play error free ball, make every AA team and play 38 minutes a game? It's useless to criticize them for something that's not in their control. If someone has a bad game we should also realize that they are not playing against traffic cones set up on the court--the other team's players and game plan have something to do with it. I think we should only really criticize a player (which is different from saying "so-and-so is having an off night" or "so and so would helped by working on his jump shot" such) if they do something like beat up their girl friend, stop going to class, fight with their teammates or coach on the floor, or similar.

burnspbesq
12-05-2010, 02:17 PM

Hmmm ... if you went on DailyKos, firedoglake, or Balloon Juice and suggested that no one should question Obama unless they've been president, you would be showered with obscene suggestions as to what you could do with that idea. We're more polite around here - so I'll just say, you're kidding, right? Do you have no conception of what it means to be a fan with an emotional investment in a team? If yes, I feel sorry for you.

Wander
12-05-2010, 02:19 PM
You're completely off. Jim Boeheim and Coach K are both Hall of Fame coaches so they must be right about everything, yet one employs a zone defense extensively and one doesn't. Same with Roy Williams vs Coach K and bench distribution minutes. And a thousand other examples.

What you've completely missed is that there's no right or wrong answer to a lot of these things. You're allowed to reasonably argue without whining that we should play Ryan Kelly more, or that Zoubek shouldn't have missed that free throw on purpose, or that we should slow down our tempo. Reasonable people - even non Hall of Fame basketball coaches - can disagree on all of these.

(For the record, I love playing nearly exclusively man-to-man and a shortish bench, and missing that last free throw)

NovaScotian
12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Debating how Coach recruits, sets his player rotation or his schedule is something that should be left to people who have experience coaching a top ranked college team.

Don't question Coach K, EVER! The guy has been there and done that and you haven't.

i agree wholeheartedly - the only posts that should be allowed on this board, or any thoughts which are worth expressing for that matter should only be ones of support for OUR TEAM. WE MUST SILENCE THE PROLETARIAT! CRITICISM OF ANY SORT MUST NEVER BE TOLERATED! ALL HAIL MIGHTY COACH KRZYZEWSKI!

roywhite
12-05-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm not qualified to be a college basketball coach.

I am qualified to be a college basketball fan, with my own observations and opinions.

Namtilal
12-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I am sick of this attitude. We are fans. This is not a religion. There is nothing holy about Duke Basketball. We are fans because we enjoy it, not because it matters in any way to the world whether the team succeeds or loses every single game.

Many of us enjoy analyzing and second-guessing the decisions of the players and coaches. Who are you to somehow seek to deny us that pleasure?

(Quick observation: 12 young men go out twice a week and play a game. That's it. Some wear light blue, some wear dark blue. For a crazy reason I can't understand, some wear an entirely different color. We, the fans, create the hysteria and the cult that surrounds it all. Never forget, it's just 12 students playing a game!)

airowe
12-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I wish Coach K would post on this board. I would give him so many pitchforks. Unfortunately, we just don't have that level of discussion so I have to settle for guys like Boozer and SilkyJ... :p

Oriole Way
12-05-2010, 03:02 PM
I forcefully disagree with the OP's main point. I'm not a big fan of censorship, nor discouraging the sharing of opinions and thoughtful discourse.

This is a fan forum for discussing the Duke basketball team. Posters will have their own opinions, and they should feel free to express them as long as they are respectful and honest. Sometimes, opinions and observations expressed on this board will feature speculation, conjecture, subjective analysis, and, yes, criticism.

Even Hall of Famers such as Coach K started out as fans, recreational players, and students of the game at some point. Should Coach K have been discouraged from expressing his opinions about basketball at a gathering of basketball fans in 1960 just because he wasn't an expert at the time? I certainly hope not.

Not only is the OP's viewpoint contrary to the spirit and purpose of this very board, but it is also extremely impractical viewpoint to hold if applied to other aspects of life in general. As another poster pointed out, I can't imagine that many individuals have ever had experience being President of the United States. Yet, that doesn't stop millions of people from criticizing this President, and every other President in this country's history, from being harshly criticized over policy and ideology. Almost all media news outlets would be out of business were they not allowed to express political opinions given most of their media member lacking the experience of ever having held political office. Most importantly, despite most citizens having no experience holding office, the general population is allowed to voice their opinion in the form of the vote. If your line of thinking had been shared by this country's founding fathers - that those who have no experience executing an important task should not express their opinions about the task - we would never have had a democracy in this country.

Either way, I understand that dukeimac thinks all of us here aren't as qualified as Coach K. That's certainly true. We also aren't privy to a great majority of what goes on behind the scenes. However, no matter how incomplete our knowledge of the situation may be, I will always believe that posters on this board should be free to express their opinions and criticisms about the team as long as those opinions are honest, backed up by reasonable assertions, and expressed in a respectful manner.

gewwang
12-05-2010, 03:02 PM
i agree wholeheartedly - the only posts that should be allowed on this board, or any thoughts which are worth expressing for that matter should only be ones of support for OUR TEAM. WE MUST SILENCE THE PROLETARIAT! CRITICISM OF ANY SORT MUST NEVER BE TOLERATED! ALL HAIL MIGHTY COACH KRZYZEWSKI!

This reminded me of Coach K berating the Chronicle for grading his players. Was Coach K right or wrong to do that?

camion
12-05-2010, 03:03 PM
I am sick of this attitude. We are fans. This is not a religion. There is nothing holy about Duke Basketball. We are fans because we enjoy it, not because it matters in any way to the world whether the team succeeds or loses every single game.

Many of us enjoy analyzing and second-guessing the decisions of the players and coaches. Who are you to somehow seek to deny us that pleasure?

(Quick observation: 12 young men go out twice a week and play a game. That's it. Some wear light blue, some wear dark blue. For a crazy reason I can't understand, some wear an entirely different color. We, the fans, create the hysteria and the cult that surrounds it all. Never forget, it's just 12 students playing a game!)

WHAT??!!

- Many attend games in Cameron as religiously as services in Duke Chapel.

- There are ritual chants and music during events at both.

- Parents often outfit their children with appropriate colors and symbols.

- One difference, Duke Chapel is multi-denominational. Cameron, NOT.

- ;)

NSDukeFan
12-05-2010, 03:07 PM

I think you are being quite unfair to those in the fashion industry. I am not, so what right do I have to criticize someone's dress or hair style as I am by no means an expert. If we have to be an expert of have expertise to comment, you should probably review many of your posts (as would anyone) which would make a pretty boring forum and not the place that I spend way too much time.

moonpie23
12-05-2010, 03:54 PM
BUZZZZZZ-STRIPPER !!!

dood, you are ZERO fun at christmas...AND WRONG

dismissing an opinion because of the source is plain ignorant...

LSanders
12-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Don't question Coach K, EVER!

Dude ... Chill! Seriously.

In case you hadn't noticed, we're pretty fond of K. Expressing an opinion, even a dissenting opinion, isn't tantamount to disrespect.

Regarding K, he operates on a different level from most coaches. He often makes the distinction between a team and a program. Calipari cobbles together teams. K, Izzo, et al, have designed programs, and their decisions in recruiting, etc. are based on their instincts about how a kid will fit into those program.

So, yes, he makes decisions accordingly, and the rationale behind those decisions may not be readily apparent to all. So what? Does that mean all contrarian arguments are invalid? That line of thinking appears to be a bit constipated.

Finally, I take great exception to your presumption that worthy opinions can only be made by people with enough "time in the field." That's argument's built on faulty logic. Intelligence, instinct, natural gifts, motivation ... All play into competence. Experience is merely one factor. How many people have you met that had tons of "experience" and still sucked at their jobs?

Turning strictly to basketball, an opinion from a guy like Brad Stevens is worth nothing compared to Jerry Tarkanian because Stevens hasn't been a head coach all that long. Who'd you rather have run your program? At the same time, Bob Hurley, Sr., and Morgan Wooten should keep their traps shut unless they happen to be talking to high school coaches because they obviously have nothing of value to impart to college or professional coaches, right?

Sure, it's true that not all posts on DBR contain nuggets of wisdom. But, hearing from people that come from many different backgrounds is often enlightening.

The irony of your argument is it runs counter to what K teaches. A leader is someone who puts the members of his team in the best position to be successful. One way of doing that is by listening to what they have to say. Inspiration often springs from the most unlikely sources. Most people here seem to understand that. So, the next time you climb on that soapbox, you might want to preach that sermon to a different choir.

SuperTurkey
12-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Duly noted. Let's see what Sergeant Hulka has to say (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k).

Richard Berg
12-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Overstated 1K is overstated.

Cameron
12-05-2010, 04:54 PM

With all due respect, I think you may be taking yourself a bit too serious here. This is a room of chat on the information superhighway. By no means does anyone here actually consider themselves superior to Coach K in any aspect of coaching, and, if they do, they are voicing their judgments on the information superhighway. To use a basketball frame of reference, no harm, no foul. It's really as simple as that.

As others have already adverted to, without active discussion on both the positive aspects of Duke basketball and the perceived opportunities for improvement -- perceived being the keyword -- there is no reason to partake in any debate or discussion at all. In fact, in that instance, DBR would be as useful as The Weather Channel reporting only the polite weather.

With that said, I rarely voice my concern over Coach K's strategy, as I am aware that what I have to say with regard to his grand plan for Duke is as relevant as partaking in formal discussion about the prospects of the Seattle Sonics. But it is that type of conversation that tends to drive this site, and I thoroughly enjoy reading what other, more experienced (read: longer) Duke fans have to say.

Greg_Newton
12-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure how else to say this... this is just plain one of the stupidest threads in the history of the internet.

Better shut down ESPN, because 99% of them haven't coached or played in the leagues they're analyzing. Better shut down all news networks, because they haven't been president. Better shut down all music and art criticism, because most critics haven't created any art or music that was successful on the scale of what they're critiquing.

Seriously, go to any site on the internet where there is discussion about anything, and you will periodically see the same defensive, trolling post that is the OP. It is promptly picked apart and ignored, as it should be.

west_coast_devil
12-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I don’t post very often, but I do read the board regularly to keep up with all things Duke basketball. I have to say, this is why I like DBR, this is a thread on debating debate!!:D

SuperTurkey
12-05-2010, 04:58 PM
I don’t post very often, but I do read the board regularly to keep up with all things Duke basketball. I have to say, this is why I like DBR, this is a thread on debating debate!!:D

And with Greg Newton's post above, it's a thread on whether we should debate debating debate.

Indoor66
12-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Better shut down ESPN, because 99% of them haven't coached or played in the leagues they're analyzing.

With the blather I hear on ESPN, on many occasions, this might be a good idea. :D

dukestheheat
12-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Ok, I have read this post several times now and I have come to the conclusion that it's a full joke. You cannot be serious saying most, if not all, of this.

You are forgiven.

That is all.

dth.

jimsumner
12-05-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure how else to say this... this is just plain one of the stupidest threads in the history of the internet.

Better shut down ESPN, because 99% of them haven't coached or played in the leagues they're analyzing. Better shut down all news networks, because they haven't been president. Better shut down all music and art criticism, because most critics haven't created any art or music that was successful on the scale of what they're critiquing.

Seriously, go to any site on the internet where there is discussion about anything, and you will periodically see the same defensive, trolling post that is the OP. It is promptly picked apart and ignored, as it should be.

I think you underestimate the stupidness of the internet. :)

coldriver10
12-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I think you underestimate the stupidness of the internet. :)
I'm far from a grammar Nazi, but this was just too perfect to not point out :)

tele
12-05-2010, 05:21 PM
And with Greg Newton's post above, it's a thread on whether we should debate debating debate.

Now we're getting somewhere...

But as long as we're on the subject, anyone remember the discussions on Coach K's last second play calls, where the team is down by a point or two with seconds remaining, and the ball is inbounded from the opponent's endline? The play called was to just give it to your best scorer and let them dribble it upcourt and try and get a shot off (eg Trajan Langdon play)?

This has generated some debate over the years, just mentioned it because Nolan got one to go in, during the Butler game. Maybe we'll be seeing this play again before the season is through, although I'd expect the ball in Irvings hands.

Neals384
12-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Well, I think the OP is onto something here.

We could implement a post scoring system, giving posters points for posts that make sense, taking away points when they're wrong.

For example, at the end of this season, we'll total the +/- for all season-long lineups that had Singler at the 3 vs. lineups that had Singler at the 4. Then we'll go back to the pre-season posts, and if, say, "Singler at the 4" was better statistically, then anyone who posted in the 2010-11 preseason that Singler should play at the 3, would be barred from posting about lineups for the next season.

(Toungue in cheek here, folks.)

Jderf
12-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Haha, I think dukeimac got the point after response #5, people. He's not stupid, he just worded his post a little strongly. Go easy on the guy. "Stupidest thread in the history of the internet?" Not even close to the stupidest thread on this board. And this board is respectable. Most aren't.

lotusland
12-05-2010, 05:33 PM
DBR Posters will adhere to the following rules:
1. Never question the infallible Coach K
2. If you have any questions refer to rule #1

SuperTurkey
12-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Haha, I think dukeimac got the point after response #5, people. He's not stupid, he just worded his post a little strongly. Go easy on the guy. "Stupidest thread in the history of the internet?" Not even close to the stupidest thread on this board. And this board is respectable. Most aren't.

Quick, everyone: Jderf is being reasonable! Get him! :D

wsb3
12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
But I still have nightmares that the shot went in after Zoub was instructed to miss..

BleedsP287
12-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I enjoy reading the opinions on this board most of the time. The level of discussion here is higher than many sports forums.

In my view, no one, K included, is so nearly perfect that we can't discuss the ins and outs of his decisions.

And I like to hear the various opinions of fans, not everyone has to have the perspective of a college basketball professional to make conversation with them enlightening and entertaining.

jimsumner
12-05-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm far from a grammar Nazi, but this was just too perfect to not point out :)

Find want to find-tune your sarcasm meter. Or at least, your whimsy meter.

-jk
12-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Well... I'm a bit late to this discussion, but will employ the "Better late than never" cliche.

If there were no more discussion than the sartorial predilections of the coaching staff, things here would get remarkably dull. And Robin Ghivan might start posting instead of Oly, Jim, Bill, and the rest of our membership who have never coached a D1 team but really understand the game.

Admittedly, we have a number of members who post nonsense - or close to it - but, well, that's life. I think most of us can tell the the poseurs from those who've studied the game. Or at least paid attention.

-jk

coldriver10
12-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Find want to find-tune your sarcasm meter. Or at least, your whimsy meter.
In that case...touche, salesman.

But on the interwebs you just never know...italics next time, perhaps.

Namtilal
12-05-2010, 11:46 PM
But I still have nightmares that the shot went in after Zoub was instructed to miss..

I like analyzing that courageous, controversial choice. My main criticism is, Z shot the ball too hard, and the hard rebound acted like an outlet pass to Hayward. A soft miss would have taken another second or two to get started up court. Either way, what a gutsy call (that I disagree with)!

Edit: And yes, the OP's heart was in the right place. All is forgiven.

-bdbd
12-06-2010, 12:54 AM
I wish Coach K would post on this board. I would give him so many pitchforks. Unfortunately, we just don't have that level of discussion so I have to settle for guys like Boozer and SilkyJ... :p

Airowee, I thought YOU were Coach K. No??? Isn't that how you earn all of those pitchforks?!! And get all of that keen insight into recruiting, etc... Sure, just try to deny it coach!

;)

P.S. This is a pretty silly string, started by someone apparently overwraught by a poster(s) expressing some uninformed (?) criticism of K and/or the program. I for one vote that we KEEP the site up anyway, just in case one of us "unqualified" individuals has something insightful to say....

Starter
12-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Did Coach K's daughters (http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/December-2010/Coach-K-s-daughters-question-his-decision) ever actually play basketball? Because if they didn't, frankly, I don't think they even deserve to be in the family, much less give well-reasoned opinions that I agree with.

Nah, just playin', and not trying to pile on the OP. If anything, I think this board has too many people who won't break away from groupthink to offer warranted criticism in the spirit of debate, but the general civility of the people who post here sets it apart from most of the lunatic fringe on the Internet.

camion
12-06-2010, 07:37 AM
As a member of the lunatic fringe I feel that DBR discriminates against me. :mad: :p

BD80
12-06-2010, 09:52 AM

... I have coached as high as a varsity high school football and basketball team and I am in no position to "debate" anything Coach K does. ...

Gregggg Doyel posts on DBR!!!!!!

A VARSITY high school basketball coach!!!! Thems the smartest people in the whole wide world.

This makes my life SOOOO much more simple. I can just wait until dukeimac tells me what to think, and ignore all those other ignoramuses on this board that have an opinion. Just like I only read Doyel - who is smarter than anybody who never played sports at the "high" level he played (he was a STAR in high school baby!).

Of course, I could be wrong, but I interpretted dukeimac's claim to have been a VARSITY high school coach as an indication that he IS a person that "actually" knows something, compared to those of us who have only played the game recreationally and have studied the game as mere fans. As with Doyel, there is little proof beyond the claim.

sagegrouse
12-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Debating how Coach recruits, sets his player rotation or his schedule is something that should be left to people who have experience coaching a top ranked college team.

Don't question Coach K, EVER! The guy has been there and done that and you haven't.
Mr. Duke Imac: We all have our hot buttons, and I recognize yours for what it is. I suppose I could say that what bugs me is when people post something without even beginning to think through the implications.

Take this:

"[T]hey want to debate things they have no experience with." Or, later: "Thus, there is no way anyone except someone who has been there and done that can 'debate' what Coach does. No one!"
I think that would apply not only to every poster at DBR but also to every political columnist who has never run for office -- pretty much all of them. ("Hey, Tom Friedman and Maureen Dowd and Kathleen Parker, you better run for sheriff if you want us to read your columns.") Or every basketball announcer who wasn't a Division 1 player or coach. "Verne Lundquist, you're my home boy, but why should I listen to a short, fat guy?"

Or this:

"Don't question Coach K, EVER!"
Quite frankly, this is obviously total nonsense, even if this were not the Internet and a fan bulletin board. But there is a germ of truth in it. Posters would be wise, when they challenge the best basketball coach in the universe, to understand how silly they appear and cloak their remarks in several layers of humility. I, for example, really disagreed with K's decision to run the last play against UConn in 1999 with Corey Maggette sitting on the bench -- I mean, no one could guard Corey. I am far better off saying, "I don't understand why K kept Corey out of the last play" than "K screwed up big time." Or, in recruiting news, if you are a poster with only a few posts and you get a recruiting scoop counter to conventional wisdom, rather than burst onto DBR with your scoop, it is better to say, "Has anyone else heard...?" rather than, "Player X is gonna commit to State U."

sagegrouse

hurleyfor3
12-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Criticism of K is fair game. That's well established here.

Otherwise, meta-criticism tends never to go anywhere good. We're finished here.