PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Bound!

Dr. Tina
12-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm going to the St. Louis game next Saturday, and it will be my first time watching Duke play in Cameron! I am so excited! Since I have never been to a game at Cameron before, I was wondering if you guys had any info for me. What time should I get there? What time do the doors usually open? Is it easy to get in to take pictures of Cameron when a game isn't in session? I want to make the most of the experience, so I figured it would be good to ask people who've gone to the games what they would recommend I do before and after the game. Also, are there any places of interest around the Duke campus you suggest I should check out?

Any tips would be appreciated! :)

JBDuke
12-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Tina,

Congrats on your first trip to Cameron! I hope you thoroughly enjoy the experience, and, of course, that Duke wins.

I moved this thread to the EK Board, since it's not really a Ticket Exchange issue, and really is more appropriate here.

Dr. Tina
12-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Tina,

Congrats on your first trip to Cameron! I hope you thoroughly enjoy the experience, and, of course, that Duke wins.

I moved this thread to the EK Board, since it's not really a Ticket Exchange issue, and really is more appropriate here.

I wasn't sure where to put the thread, so that's why I put it there. I'm really excited about going! I'm counting down the days... :)

airowe
12-05-2010, 08:20 PM
What time should I get there?

Are you sitting in GA or do you have a numbered ticket? If you have a numbered ticket, I wouldn't get there any earlier than 30-45 minutes prior to tip.

What time do the doors usually open?

I believe two hours. Someone can correct me on that.

Is it easy to get in to take pictures of Cameron when a game isn't in session?

Yes, the museum inside the stadium doors is open M-F 9-5. Maybe you want to get there early to check that out. It's pretty cool, especially with the new remodel...

Also, are there any places of interest around the Duke campus you suggest I should check out?

Any tips would be appreciated! :)

Lots of things in Durham to see. Great restaurants (check out carpedurham.com), Nasher Museum of Art, Durham Bulls Athletic Park and the American Tobacco Campus next door. Brightleaf Square, Doris Duke Gardens, and I'm sure other people can chime in with more. Enjoy our trip!

sdotbarbee
12-05-2010, 08:31 PM
The Washington Duke Inn is where the wife and I will be. Hope you really enjoy your first time at CIS.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-05-2010, 08:56 PM
People with reserved seats upstairs may line up ahead of time to get in, but the doors open 1 hour prior to game time. This change was made last year as part of the effort to reduce costs and help reduce the Athletic Department budget deficit.

WiJoe
12-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Tina:

Have fun. You're making a lot of people envious.

I'd imagine your first stop will be the Bryan Center and the bookstore.

A pair of places for chow include Cosmic Cantina (one of JJ's hangouts) —1920 Perry Street (919) 286-1875—and a personal favorite, Mad Hatter's Bake Shop (call a day ahead, ask nice and they'll makes awesome crumb cake for you) at 1802 West Main Street - (919) 286-1987.

Late night, you might run into Nolan or Andre at Waffle House — 3500 Hillsborough Road.

You might also run across Saint Louis coach Rick Majerus at any or all of those fine establishments.

geraldsneighbor
12-05-2010, 09:40 PM
I ran into Miles at the wafflehouse after a game last year. That was pretty cool.

Tina:

A pair of places for chow include Cosmic Cantina (one of JJ's hangouts) —1920 Perry Street (919) 286-1875—and a personal favorite, Mad Hatter's Bake Shop (call a day ahead, ask nice and they'll makes awesome crumb cake for you) at 1802 West Main Street - (919) 286-1987.

Late night, you might run into Nolan or Andre at Waffle House — 3500 Hillsborough Road.

You might also run across Saint Louis coach Rick Majerus at any or all of those fine establishments.

geraldsneighbor
12-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Great place to eat Italian food is Meelo's restaurant right in Durham on Hillandale road. I've eaten there a few times and each time the food has been just awesome.

MCFinARL
12-05-2010, 09:50 PM
If you want higher end cuisine but still in a really relaxed atmosphere, you might try Watts Grocery at 1116 Broad St., 919-416-5040. Great "new Southern" cooking with locally sourced foods, artisan cheeses from North Carolina, etc.

plimnko
12-05-2010, 10:00 PM
You can't go wrong with the Blue Corn Cafe on 9th street. I always get the daily special and I have yet to be disappointed.

Newton_14
12-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Congrats! Nothing like seeing a game in Cameron.

As DiTB mentioned, doors open 1 hr prior to tipoff. Be sure to allow time to visit the HoF, as the renovation is top-notch.

There is also a satellite Duke store inside Card gym which is adjacent to Cameron. It is small, but they have a lot of good apparel there, from t-shirts, to sweats, to Jersey's, etc. They are also open well before Cameron opens up. I got to the Mich St game at 8pm thinking CIS would be open, but was 30 minutes too early. It was cold as heck so hanging out in the Card store kept me warm, and they had the other Challenge games on the TV inside.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the experience!

Cameron
12-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Enjoy every second of your trip. Cameron is a beauty.

If you're arriving early or staying over night, I might encourage you to stop into Elmo's Diner on Ninth Street and enjoy a plate of the best pancakes, eggs and bacon in the South. I haven't been to Durham in a couple of years now, but Elmo's has always treated me well when I have stopped by. Also, in addition to hitting up the Bryan Center book store for all kinds of Duke wear and memorabilia, check out the Duck Shop just down the street from Elmo's. You'll find enough Blue Devil gear to choke a Carolina fan (well, at least a small one). It sits right across from Charlie's Neighborhood Bar on Ninth Street.

I'd also direct you toward a wooded park that isn't all that safe in the dark (with your tickets in hand, of course), but that'd just be the Green-Eyed Monster talking:) Very envious of your trip, as others have already stated. Enjoy your visit to the Indoor.

gam7
12-06-2010, 01:44 AM

Nolan, Andre and Miles at Waffle House? Wonder how the team nutritionist feels about that. How do they take their hash browns? Scattered, smothered, covered, peppered, topped, diced? Mouth-watering...

I have three recommendations:

1. Bullock's - best North Carolina BBQ in town. http://www.bullocksbbq.com/

2. Foster's - http://www.fostersmarket.com/ - a really good market with lots of good prepared stuff, baked goods, etc. Great for lunch.

3. Four Square - if you are looking for a really fancy dinner, I remember this place being great. I think I went there only once (like around the time of graduation) but it was memorable. http://www.foursquarerestaurant.com/index.html

Dr. Tina
12-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Wow, thanks for all the information everyone!

So, this may be naive, but I'm staying practically on the campus, so I thought I could Supershuttle to the hotel and I wouldn't need a car. My main perogative is to just to go to the game and tour the campus. However, I've been looking at the layout and the University is big. There are buses that you can use to get around, but do you think that would be good enough for me?

What do ya'll think?

Dr. Tina
12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Tina:

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I don't mean to make people envious at all, but I totally understand the feeling. This trip is pretty much making my Christmas season!

LOL @ Rick Majerus comment - I love it!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Wow, thanks for all the information everyone!

So, this may be naive, but I'm staying practically on the campus, so I thought I could Supershuttle to the hotel and I wouldn't need a car. My main perogative is to just to go to the game and tour the campus. However, I've been looking at the layout and the University is big. There are buses that you can use to get around, but do you think that would be good enough for me?

What do ya'll think?
What do you mean by "staying practically on campus"? Some of the nearby hotels offer shuttles to and from campus, but others don't.

How much time are you going to spend on campus? Don't expect to take shopping bags with your purchases from elsewhere into Cameron.

Dr. Tina
12-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Enjoy every second of your trip. Cameron is a beauty.

I'd also direct you toward a wooded park that isn't all that safe in the dark (with your tickets in hand, of course), but that'd just be the Green-Eyed Monster talking:) Very envious of your trip, as others have already stated. Enjoy your visit to the Indoor.

Your Green-Eyed Monster is so thoughtful! :)

anon
12-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Don't expect to take shopping bags with your purchases from elsewhere into Cameron.

Allow me to emphasize this last comment and perhaps extend it to, "Don't expect to take much of anything into Cameron." I'm not sure if your number of bags is explicitly limited, but they will all be searched by the contracted security goons. And depending on where you are sitting, there may be VERY little room to put anything down around your legs.

Also: Bring cash for the concession stand. Bring singles so you don't have to get change.

Dr. Tina
12-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Allow me to emphasize this last comment and perhaps extend it to, "Don't expect to take much of anything into Cameron." I'm not sure if your number of bags is explicitly limited, but they will all be searched by the contracted security goons. And depending on where you are sitting, there may be VERY little room to put anything down around your legs.

Also: Bring cash for the concession stand. Bring singles so you don't have to get change.

Thanks for the tips! I was thinking of wearing a Duke sweatshirt/tshirt to keep me warm. It's supposed to be in the 50's on Saturday, and that's warm weather for me after it's been cold, windy, and snowy up here. I figured I would take my little wristlet into the game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the tips! I was thinking of wearing a Duke sweatshirt/tshirt to keep me warm. It's supposed to be in the 50's on Saturday, and that's warm weather for me after it's been cold, windy, and snowy up here. I figured I would take my little wristlet into the game.
The sweatshirt will be fine outside, but will be too warm inside Cameron. How warm it gets is unpredictable..... layers will be the key to comfort.

Dr. Tina
12-06-2010, 09:50 PM
The sweatshirt will be fine outside, but will be too warm inside Cameron. How warm it gets is unpredictable..... layers will be the key to comfort.

Yeah, I was wondering about how it would be once inside, especially with the house rocking. I hope it's rocking! I'm planning to be decked out in Duke stuff! LOL!

Newton_14
12-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about how it would be once inside, especially with the house rocking. I hope it's rocking! I'm planning to be decked out in Duke stuff! LOL!

What Devil in The Blue Dress said! Though it is extremely cold here this week (low tonight 19, high tomorrow 30ish with bad windchills) it makes it back to the 50's for the weekend.

Have the sweatshirt handy for leaving Cameron, just in case, but inside will definitely be T-Shirt weather. It tends to get hot in there during games, even moreso during daytime games.

Dr. Tina
12-06-2010, 10:03 PM
What Devil in The Blue Dress said! Though it is extremely cold here this week (low tonight 19, high tomorrow 30ish with bad windchills) it makes it back to the 50's for the weekend.

Have the sweatshirt handy for leaving Cameron, just in case, but inside will definitely be T-Shirt weather. It tends to get hot in there during games, even moreso during daytime games.

Yeah, I was keeping an eye on the weather and saw it'll be in the 50's. That'll be manageable for me. It's snowy and cold up here right now. It'll feel warm!