PDA

View Full Version : The Unbeaten: Counting them down

gam7
12-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Team AP Pom Record Conf Upcoming Schedule
Kansas 4 1 7-0 B12 12/7: Memphis (29); 12/11: Colorado St. (99)
Duke 1 2 8-0 ACC 12/8: Bradley (140); 12/11: St. Louis (100)
Ohio St 2 3 6-0 B10 12/9: IUPUI (188); 12/12: Western Carolina (210)
Pitt 3 4 9-0 BE 12/8: Delaware St. (280); 12/11: Tennessee (17)
Baylor 11 11 6-0 B12 None
UNLV 24 12 8-0 MWC 12/8: Boise St. (95); 12/11: @Louisville (20)
G'town 16 13 8-0 BE 12/9: @Temple (42); 12/12: Appalachian St. (138)
Tenn 13 17 6-0 SEC 12/11: @Pitt (4)
SDSU 17 18 8-0 MWC 12/8: @Cal (78); 12/11: San Diego (298)
BYU 21 19 8-0 MWC 12/8: Vermont (141); 12/11: Arizona (7)
L'ville 27 20 6-0 BE 12/8: USF (230); 12/11: UNLV (12)
Cuse 8 21 8-0 BE 12/7: Michigan St. (6); 12/11: Colgate (317)
UConn 7 27 7-0 BE 12/8: Fairleigh Dickinson (309)
Memphis 14 29 7-0 CUSA 12/7: Kansas
UCF 31 7-0 CUSA 12/11: Bethune Cookman (275)
ND 25 34 8-0 BE 12/8: @Kentucky (9); Gonzaga (48)
Cincy 49 7-0 BE 12/11: Utah Valley (284)
NWU 52 5-0 B10 None
Cl. St 41 63 10-0 Horz 12/7: WV Tech (NR); 12/11: Sam Houston St. (144)
BSU 95 6-0 WAC 12/5:LBSU(121);12/8:@UNLV(12);12/12: @Drake(233)

Every year I find myself following the progress of teams that have yet to lose, so I thought I'd make it easy for others to follow along with me.

As of today, there are exactly 20 undefeated teams. The conference breakdown is as follows: 7 Big East, 3 Mountain West, 2 Big 10, 2 Big 12, 2 Conference USA, 1 ACC, 1 Horizon League, 1 SEC, 1 WAC. In the table, I used the AP rankings that are current through 12/5. I also included the Pomeroy rankings as of 12/4. In the upcoming schedule column, I listed the Pomeroy rankings of each opponent.

Two unbeatens (Baylor and Northwestern) are idle this week.

Only one undefeated team (Boise St.) plays on Sunday (12/5) and none play on Monday (12/6).

The Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday (12/7) features two excellent matchups: in the first of four contests this week involving two undefeated teams, Kansas and Memphis face off in a "rematch" of the 2008 national championship game. In the nightcap, Syracuse takes on a tough and battle-tested Michigan State squad.

The highlights on Wednesday (12/8) include a battle of unbeatens with UNLV playing host to Boise State and Notre Dame travels to Kentucky to take on a Wildcat team looking to bounce back from their loss at Carolina. Duke battles Bradley.

Georgetown travels to Temple on Thursday (12/9) in that day's only game featuring an unbeaten team. No undefeated teams play on Friday (12/10).

On Saturday (12/11), UNLV takes on its second undefeated team of the week when it travels to Louisville. Also, in a nice Big East tilt, Pitt welcomes Tennessee to town. Duke plays St. Louis.

A few teams are in action on Sunday (12/12) in some pretty bad matchups.

camion
12-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I checked the Kenpom ratings and found that two of those teams have around a 10% chance of going undefeated during the regular season, Duke and Kansas. Everyone else is 4% or less and most are less than 1%.

Then there the conference tournaments and March madness where all but one must lose. Going undefeated is tough even if you are still in it at this point in the season.

brevity
12-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Seeing a great BCS power like Ohio State at #3 and mid-major Boise State at #95, I can't help thinking that the Broncos have no business being in the tournament next March, even if they run the table.

uh_no
12-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I find it amazing that there are yet 7 undefeated big east teams

gam7
12-05-2010, 03:41 PM

I think it's surprising that there are three Mountain West Conference teams that are undefeated. I have a soft spot for San Diego State, my hometown team growing up. They are for real, winning at Gonzaga earlier in the year and yesterday beating a very good Wichita State team, which very nearly knocked off UConn in Maui. UNLV has wins over Wisconsin and Virginia Tech.

Namtilal
12-05-2010, 03:58 PM

It used to be common for the ACC to start league play with half of the league undefeated. I miss those days, when no league game was a definite win.

Plus, since the Big East expanded to 83 teams, they have more chances to go undefeated.

Indoor66
12-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Plus, since the Big East expanded to 83 teams, they have more chances to go undefeated.

It is reaching the point that Big East teams are having trouble filling an out of conference schedule.

gam7
12-06-2010, 02:44 AM
And just like that, Boise State fell from the ranks of the unbeaten on Sunday, losing to Long Beach State, 69-66.

Olympic Fan
12-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Four unbeatens fell for the first time over the weekend -- Boise State, Washington State, UMass (thanks BC!), and South Dakota State.

That still leaves 20 unbeatens left -- I'm guessing less that five make it to the new year and none make it to February first.

Bob Green
12-06-2010, 10:56 AM
That still leaves 20 unbeatens left -- I'm guessing less that five make it to the new year and none make it to February first.

I realize I am looking ahead a bit, but fans are allowed to do that. In January, Duke has tough road games @ FSU, @ NC State and @ St. John's. I see those three games as the obstacles to Duke being undefeated on February 1st.

gam7
12-09-2010, 01:01 AM
With Kentucky's convincing win over Notre Dame tonight in the Big East/SEC Invitational (as well as Boise St. and Memphis's losses earlier in the week), the unbeaten in Division I have been whittled down to 17 teams.

The three undefeateds in the Mountain West (UNLV, BYU and San Diego State) continue to impress. All three teams won on Wednesday, the most impressive victory being San Diego State's 20-point victory at Cal.

Saturday features three tasty matchups: Tennessee travels to Pitt and UNLV visits Louisville in two battles of unbeatens. Also, BYU takes on Arizona and its #7 Pomeroy ranking.

IrishDevil
12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
The three undefeateds in the Mountain West (UNLV, BYU and San Diego State) continue to impress. All three teams won on Wednesday, the most impressive victory being San Diego State's 20-point victory at Cal.

The same Cal team that didn't get into double digits against Notre Dame until almost two minutes into the second half? :p

juise
12-09-2010, 11:45 AM
The same Cal team that didn't get into double digits against Notre Dame until almost two minutes into the second half? :p

Yikes. I missed that box score. They beat Temple and then came out and scored 5 points (http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303300025) in the first half against ND. Five points. Yikes.

gam7
12-09-2010, 12:25 PM

Yes, same team. :)

I actually was just saying that it was the most impressive win of the three Mountain West victories on Wednesday. Cal (84) has a higher Pomeroy rank than Boise State (92) and Vermont (150).

But it's also the same Cal team that despite that 5-point first half lost that game to Notre Dame (undefeated until yesterday) by only 13 points on a neutral court. Unlike that Notre Dame game, this was a true home game for Cal.

Even though Cal's not great, it was the most impressive win by the Mountain West unbeatens on Wednesday, and a 20-point victory on the road against a Pac 10 team is nothing to sneeze at!

tommy
12-09-2010, 05:00 PM
What I find impressive about the Big East and their 6 remaining undefeateds is the number of quality opponents the teams have beaten. Cincinnati really doesn't have any great wins, but the other five teams, collectively, have already beaten:

Michigan State (twice - Syracuse and UConn both beat em)
Kentucky
Missouri
Butler
Texas
Maryland
NC State (twice - Syracuse and Georgetown)
Michigan
Georgia Tech

That's a lot of quality wins for the conference -- actually, just for the conference's unbeatens -- to have accumulated in just a few weeks of play. Impressive.

If I was Jason Evans, I think my sign off would be: "wow, with OOC losses to top 6 squads Duke, Syracuse, and UConn, did anyone schedule tougher than Izzo and the Spartans this year?"

gam7
12-09-2010, 05:21 PM
What I find impressive about the Big East and their 6 remaining undefeateds is the number of quality opponents the teams have beaten. Cincinnati really doesn't have any great wins, but the other five teams, collectively, have already beaten:

Michigan State (twice - Syracuse and UConn both beat em)
Kentucky
Missouri
Butler
Texas
Maryland
NC State (twice - Syracuse and Georgetown)
Michigan
Georgia Tech

That's a lot of quality wins for the conference -- actually, just for the conference's unbeatens -- to have accumulated in just a few weeks of play. Impressive.

If I was Jason Evans, I think my sign off would be: "wow, with OOC losses to top 6 squads Duke, Syracuse, and UConn, did anyone schedule tougher than Izzo and the Spartans this year?"

Miami of Ohio gives Michigan State a run for its money. They have played or will play five teams that are currently unbeaten: Duke, Ohio State, Kansas, San Diego State and Cincinnati.

neuro
12-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Georgetown is out, losing at Temple after their comeback from 11 down fell short.

gam7
12-11-2010, 08:09 PM
We know Colgate is not very good, but Syracuse was beating them 46-8 at the half. Pretty impressive, regardless of opponent.

JasonEvans
12-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Pitt and UNLV went down yesterday. I have not been keeping good track, but the ranks continue to thin.

-Jason "Tennessee looked very impressive beating Pitt" Evans

juise
12-15-2010, 02:41 AM
I didn't see any other threads about unbeatens or about these specific games, so I thought they would be worth mentioning.

Oakland won at Tennessee (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303482633) and Drexel won at Louisville (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303480097). I see the Lousville's record is now 8-1. Their home record is now 8-1. Don't worry Rick will get his boys out of Louisville once before their first Big East road game on January 9th... they're going all the way to... Western Kentucky.

These kind of games show you just how impressive Duke's non-conference home win streak is, IMO.

gam7
12-15-2010, 03:52 AM
I didn't see any other threads about unbeatens or about these specific games, so I thought they would be worth mentioning.

Oakland won at Tennessee (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303482633) and Drexel won at Louisville (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303480097). I see the Lousville's record is now 8-1. Their home record is now 8-1. Don't worry Rick will get his boys out of Louisville once before their first Big East road game on January 9th... they're going all the way to... Western Kentucky.

These kind of games show you just how impressive Duke's non-conference home win streak is, IMO.

Thanks juise, there actually is a thread a bit further down the first page for this week's games.

JasonEvans
12-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Oakland is my new hero. They have played a brutal schedule so far and it only gets tougher.

They have played at West Virginia, Purdue, and Illinois. They played Michigan St in a neutral site game. And now they add at Tennessee to their road schedule. It is obviously worth noting that they travel across multiple time-zones for all these road games.

Up next, a game this weekend at Michigan. Next week they will be playing at Ohio State (the toughest of all these games). After that they get into the Summit League schedule, so things get a lot easier.

Pomeroy rates Oakland as the #71 team in the nation but their offensive rating is a very impressive #28. Their non-conf strength of schedule is an impressive #18.

Now, what matters is that they are 6-5 against this tough schedule. Before the Tennessee win, their best victory was beating Ohio or Austin Peay and they have a loss to a decent but not great Wright State club. Still, they played Michigan St very close (loss by 1) and now they have the win over Tennessee.

This is certainly one team that will not be wowed by the competition when they reach the NCAA tourney... and they will get to the tourney, I think.

-Jason "love the teams that take on all comers!" Evans

P.S. - I changed the thread title to reflect the fact that it covers more than one week of discussion. Hope that is ok with everyone.

crimsonandblue
12-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Oakland is my new hero. They have played a brutal schedule so far and it only gets tougher.

They have played at West Virginia, Purdue, and Illinois. They played Michigan St in a neutral site game. And now they add at Tennessee to their road schedule. It is obviously worth noting that they travel across multiple time-zones for all these road games.

Up next, a game this weekend at Michigan. Next week they will be playing at Ohio State (the toughest of all these games). After that they get into the Summit League schedule, so things get a lot easier.

Pomeroy rates Oakland as the #71 team in the nation but their offensive rating is a very impressive #28. Their non-conf strength of schedule is an impressive #18.

Now, what matters is that they are 6-5 against this tough schedule. Before the Tennessee win, their best victory was beating Ohio or Austin Peay and they have a loss to a decent but not great Wright State club. Still, they played Michigan St very close (loss by 1) and now they have the win over Tennessee.

This is certainly one team that will not be wowed by the competition when they reach the NCAA tourney... and they will get to the tourney, I think.

-Jason "love the teams that take on all comers!" Evans

P.S. - I changed the thread title to reflect the fact that it covers more than one week of discussion. Hope that is ok with everyone.

Maybe it was sarcasm, but Oakland's a Michigan-based school...

JasonEvans
12-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Maybe it was sarcasm, but Oakland's a Michigan-based school...

Ok, I am an idiot. I think I knew that but did not even bother to think about it.

--Jason "duuuh!" Evans

ChicagoCrazy84
12-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Keep counting them down! IMO we will see 2 more unbeatens go down this weekend.

BYU (10-0) will lose on the road to UCLA.

Baylor (6-0) will lose AT HOME to Gonzaga. Zags are due for a big win.

Mark it down!

Kedsy
12-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Mark it down!

I think both these games are toss ups, although in my mind the team you say will lose will likely win in both cases. We'll see who's right in a few days (now, watch, they'll probably split).

tommy
12-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Mark it down!

I saw UCLA in person last weekend against the mighty Mustangs of Cal Poly. The Bruins won, but they struggled, and were just very unimpressive. BYU is coming off a big win where they smoked Arizona, who I think is definitely going to be better than UCLA in Pac-10 play. I won't be surprised at all to see BYU come in and handle the Bruins.

As a Duke-related PS, UCLA freshman center Joshua Smith (a former Duke recruiting target), while he led the team in scoring against Poly, is obviously out of shape -- I'd be shocked if his true weight was under about 290 pounds -- and does not have a good feel for the game. And he's not all that aggressive. He was just a bigger/wider body than anybody Cal Poly had, and that's why he was able to muster the buckets he did. He may turn out to be a fine player, and I'm sure he's a good kid, but I don't think we missed much by not getting him.

Duvall
12-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Mark it down!

What has Gonzaga shown this year to suggest that they are capable of beating any halfway decent team on the road?

gam7
12-15-2010, 03:27 PM
For ease of reference (from the other Unbeaten thread - but with only 12 remaining):

Team Pom AP Record Conf Upcoming Schedule
Duke 1 1 10-0 ACC None
Kansas 2 3 9-0 B12 12/18: USC (68)
Ohio St 3 2 8-0 B10 12/15: Fl. Gulf Coast (302); 12/18: S. Carolina (72)
BYU 7 16 10-0 MWC 12/18: UCLA (55)
Cuse 9 5 10-0 BE 12/18: Iona (103)
Baylor 12 9 6-0 B12 12/15: Bethune Cookman (275); 12/18: Gonzaga (54)
SDSU 14 11 10-0 MWC 12/13: Cal Poly (250); 12/18: UCSB (104)
UConn 29 4 8-0 BE None
UCF 38 26 8-0 CUSA 12/15: LA Lafayette (272); 12/18: @Miami (57)
Cincy 46 36 8-0 BE 12/14: Georgia Southern (297); 12/18: Oklahoma (110)
NWU 53 36 5-0 B10 12/13: Long Island (181); 12/16: American (179)
Cl. St. 62 32 12-0 Horz 12/18: @West Virginia (20)

rsvman
12-15-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree with the earlier poster......I'll take BYU on the road over UCLA, and Baylor at home over the Zags.

JasonEvans
12-15-2010, 03:41 PM
What has Gonzaga shown this year to suggest that they are capable of beating any halfway decent team on the road?

Well, they did beat Marquette on a neutral floor and they only lost to Notre Dame by 4 at ND.

But, the rest of their results are not at all impressive. They've only beaten some really, really bad teams and they have lost rather handily to the good teams they have played. They even fell at home to San Diego St (a good team, but still a home loss).

Gonzaga does not appear to be anything close to what they have been in recent years. Whichever one of St. Mary's or Gonzaga that fails to win the WCC automatic bid is going to be seriously sweating on Selection Sunday.

-Jason "meanwhile, San Diego St will be undefeated into mid-Janaury, at least" Evans

ChicagoCrazy84
12-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Point well taken, but let's be honest, college basketball is a lot of times unpredictable.

If not the Zags on Saturday, I'll take WVU over Cleveland St on Sunday to get my 2.

gam7
12-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Nine of the 12 remaining unbeatens are in action on Saturday with a few interesting matchups and potential trap games coming out of exams on the slate. A couple of highlights: Cleveland State has its toughest matchup of the year at West Virginia; UCF travels to Miami in the only game pitting an ACC team against an unbeaten; Kansas plays USC; Ohio State takes on South Carolina; BYU challenges UCLA and Baylor hosts Gonzaga. Also, San Diego State is up against UCSB, which is coming off a big win against until-recently-unbeaten UNLV.

-jk
12-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Tenn falls a second time this week, 49-48, to Charlotte. Bad week...

-jk

Saratoga2
12-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Cleveland St went down and Kansas was on the verge and survived due to poor execution by USC the last three possessions. Baylor and Gonzaga are in a close one at the half.

Saratoga2
12-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Baylor just lost to Gonzaga. That makes two down today.

pfrduke
12-18-2010, 07:36 PM

Mark it down!

Looking good so far - the Zags tripped up Baylor in Dallas ("neutral" court, not a Baylor home game), and UCLA is up 9 with under 4 to play in Anaheim (also a "neutral" court, not a UCLA home game).

Saratoga2
12-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Byu just went down to UCLA so that makes three down today

ArkieDukie
12-18-2010, 08:06 PM

Mark it down!

Impressive - you called them both!

Bob Green
12-18-2010, 08:33 PM

Mark it down!

Congratulations on an accurate prediction. The Zags got it done! Personally, I'm not a Zags fan and wish they had lost, but I must acknowledge your accuracy.

jimsumner
12-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Impressive - you called them both!

Ditto. Excellent call on Baylor-Gonzaga.

uh_no
12-18-2010, 10:44 PM
did anyone think KU was gonna get challenged like that today? if not fot the technical foul, they lose that game......i hope selby is really subtraction by addition....

tbyers11
12-18-2010, 11:41 PM
did anyone think KU was gonna get challenged like that today? if not fot the technical foul, they lose that game......i hope selby is really subtraction by addition....

I didn't think they would get challenged. But I am starting to wonder about Kansas. They have beat the snot out of all the cupcakes they've played but haven't played well against the decent teams.

They have played 4 decent (top 100 Pom) teams. They beat Memphis handily at MSG (although the Tigers haven't been all that). In addition to just barely beating USC today, they won by a point to UCLA at home and were neck and neck with Arizona (up by 3 IIRC) on a neutral court in Vegas when Derrick Williams fouled out for Zona with 3 minutes left. KU won by 8.

I know Kansas is very talented and will get better with Selby but they haven't impressed me much yet.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the props on the picks!

I have to thank LaceDarrius Dunn first and foremost whose suspension paved the way for Elias Harris and Steven Gray.

Not sure about the UCLA game as I didn't see any of it, but any non-conference away game against a power conference team is tough.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the props on the picks!

I have to thank LaceDarrius Dunn first and foremost whose suspension paved the way for Elias Harris and Steven Gray.

Not sure about the UCLA game as I didn't see any of it, but any non-conference away game against a power conference team is tough.

Only kidding by the way. :D The Zags outplayed them and Sacre finally was the difference maker he can be. Steven Gray didn't even play well and Dunn was pretty sharp.

JasonEvans
12-19-2010, 05:52 PM
So, now we are down to 9 unbeatens left:

Duke, Kansas, Ohio St, Syrac, San Diego St, UConn, Central Fla, Cincy, and Northwestern.

So, who will be the next to lose?

This is a relatively easy week coming up for the undefeated. I think the next loss might be UConn playing at Pitt on December 27th.

--Jason "Kansas plays at Cali -- which is a little bit of a test" Evans

uh_no
12-19-2010, 06:04 PM
This is a relatively easy week coming up for the undefeated. I think the next loss might be UConn playing at Pitt on December 27th.

I send my voo-doo dolls on you for that

but alas, you may be right

gam7
12-19-2010, 06:56 PM
So, now we are down to 9 unbeatens left:

Duke, Kansas, Ohio St, Syrac, San Diego St, UConn, Central Fla, Cincy, and Northwestern.

So, who will be the next to lose?

--Jason "Kansas plays at Cali -- which is a little bit of a test" Evans

I will post the full schedule for the upcoming week on Monday after the new AP rankings come out, but two other games to watch are Oakland at Ohio State and Drexel at Syracuse. Both of those opponents knocked off undefeateds this week. Also, Oakland has quality size in Benson that could match up fairly well with Sullinger.

gam7
12-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Last week, weak competition suggested that the ranks of the undefeated would be only modestly shaved, trimmed or pruned. Instead, teams with Pomeroy rankings from 50-100 applied a guillotine to The Unbeaten, upsetting Tennessee, Baylor, BYU and Louisville. Cleveland State also fell to West Virginia.

This week's schedule for The Unbeaten is even lighter and softer than last week's. As Jason Evans suggested, the matchup with the most upset potential this week may be Kansas at Cal on Wednesday. Also, Drexel and Oakland (who upset Louisville and Tennessee, respectively, last week) take on Syracuse and Ohio State, respectively, who may be ripe for a let down before the holidays.

Here's the full schedule for the upcoming week:

Duke 1 1 10-0 ACC 12/20: Elon (260)
Kansas 2 3 10-0 B12 12/22: @Cal (79)
Ohio St 3 2 10-0 B10 12/21: UNC Asheville (204); 12/23: Oakland (82)
SDSU 13 7 12-0 MWC 12/21: San Francisco (231); 12/22: IUPUI (182)
Cuse 14 5 11-0 BE 12/20: Morgan State (218); 12/22: Drexel (84)
Uconn 27 4 8-0 BE 12/20: Coppin St. (320); 12/22: Harvard (86)
UCF 35 24 10-0 CUSA 12/22: @Massachusetts (114)
Cincy 37 33 10-0 BE 12/21:@Miami (OH)(183);12/23:St. Francis PA(323)
NWU 50 32 7-0 B10 12/20:St. Francis NY(206);12/23:Mt. St. Mary's(274)

pfrduke
12-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Last week, weak competition suggested that the ranks of the undefeated would be only modestly shaved, trimmed or pruned. Instead, teams with Pomeroy rankings from 50-100 applied a guillotine to The Unbeaten, upsetting Tennessee, Baylor, BYU and Louisville. Cleveland State also fell to West Virginia.

This week's schedule for The Unbeaten is even lighter and softer than last week's. As Jason Evans suggested, the matchup with the most upset potential this week may be Kansas at Cal on Wednesday. Also, Drexel and Oakland (who upset Louisville and Tennessee, respectively, last week) take on Syracuse and Ohio State, respectively, who may be ripe for a let down before the holidays.

Here's the full schedule for the upcoming week:

Duke 1 1 10-0 ACC 12/20: Elon (260)
Kansas 2 3 10-0 B12 12/22: @Cal (79)
Ohio St 3 2 10-0 B10 12/21: UNC Asheville (204); 12/23: Oakland (82)
SDSU 13 7 12-0 MWC 12/21: San Francisco (231); 12/22: IUPUI (182)
Cuse 14 5 11-0 BE 12/20: Morgan State (218); 12/22: Drexel (84)
Uconn 27 4 8-0 BE 12/20: Coppin St. (320); 12/22: Harvard (86)
UCF 35 24 10-0 CUSA 12/22: @Massachusetts (114)
Cincy 37 33 10-0 BE 12/21:@Miami (OH)(183);12/23:St. Francis PA(323)
NWU 50 32 7-0 B10 12/20:St. Francis NY(206);12/23:Mt. St. Mary's(274)

Interestingly, the team with the best chance (according to the Pomeroy odds) of pulling off a win over an unbeaten this week is Tommy Amaker's Harvard Crimson, with a 12% shot of knocking off the Huskies (Cal has an 11% chance, Drexel an 8%, and Oakland a 4% chance).

loran16
12-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Interestingly, the team with the best chance (according to the Pomeroy odds) of pulling off a win over an unbeaten this week is Tommy Amaker's Harvard Crimson, with a 12% shot of knocking off the Huskies (Cal has an 11% chance, Drexel an 8%, and Oakland a 4% chance).

Actually incorrect: UMass has a 28% chance of victory against UCF.

pfrduke
12-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Actually incorrect: UMass has a 28% chance of victory against UCF.

Skipped right over that one. Thanks. So Harvard has the 2nd best chance....

gam7
12-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Skipped right over that one. Thanks. So Harvard has the 2nd best chance....

Actually, unbeknownst to me, Northwestern's game yesterday against St. Francis (NY) was the semifinals of the Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden. By beating St. Francis yesterday, Northwestern earned a matchup tonight with St. John's. According to Pomeroy, Northwestern had only a 45% chance to win, and sure enough, St. John's sent Northwestern packing, 85-69. So, we're down to 8 unbeatens.

gam7
12-23-2010, 12:44 AM
For those of you with Fox Sports West, Kansas at Cal is turning into quite a game. Before the first TV timeout of the second half, Marcus Morris was ejected for an elbow to the face of a Cal player, and there was another near bench clearing brawl after a fight for a loose ball. Meanwhile, Cal is on a 13-0 run to cut the lead to 47-43 Kansas. Cal is playing angrily. 14 minutes left in the game.

tommy
12-23-2010, 02:04 AM
For those of you with Fox Sports West, Kansas at Cal is turning into quite a game. Before the first TV timeout of the second half, Marcus Morris was ejected for an elbow to the face of a Cal player, and there was another near bench clearing brawl after a fight for a loose ball. Meanwhile, Cal is on a 13-0 run to cut the lead to 47-43 Kansas. Cal is playing angrily. 14 minutes left in the game.

Alas, no. Kansas 78-63.

TexHawk
12-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I didn't think they would get challenged. But I am starting to wonder about Kansas. They have beat the snot out of all the cupcakes they've played but haven't played well against the decent teams.

They have played 4 decent (top 100 Pom) teams. They beat Memphis handily at MSG (although the Tigers haven't been all that). In addition to just barely beating USC today, they won by a point to UCLA at home and were neck and neck with Arizona (up by 3 IIRC) on a neutral court in Vegas when Derrick Williams fouled out for Zona with 3 minutes left. KU won by 8.

I know Kansas is very talented and will get better with Selby but they haven't impressed me much yet.
Most of that is a fair assessment, the UCLA game was an abomination. But I will quibble slightly with the the 'Zona mention. They are pretty good team, and with Derrick Williams (one of the better players I've seen this year) + a weak Pac10, they are in line for a top 4 seed in March. Their two losses are against Top 10 teams (at the time). Also, you have to give credit to KU's front-line for taking it to Williams, and fouling him out. That was part of the offensive game-plan. To pick nits even more, IIRC, the KU lead was 12-14ish, before a couple garbage 3s late.

Bob Green
12-23-2010, 08:28 PM
But I will quibble slightly with the the 'Zona mention. They are pretty good team, and with Derrick Williams (one of the better players I've seen this year) + a weak Pac10, they are in line for a top 4 seed in March.

Before anointing Arizona as the class of the Pacific 10, I recommend taking a hard look at Washington and Washington State. The Huskies and the Cougars have solid teams and both are capable of beating Arizona. Here in the Greater Puget Sound area, folks are discussing the possibility of Washington running the table in the Pacific 10, and Washington State, behind the star power of Klay Thompson, is off to a great start to their season.

Washington beat Virginia by 43 points in the Maui Classic, and Washington State is currently up on Baylor (by one point with 7:23 to go) in the Diamond Head Classic. However, the Cougars are in some foul trouble as Thompson has 4 and DeAngelo Casto has 3.

EDIT: Washington State 77, Baylor 71

loran16
12-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Before anointing Arizona as the class of the Pacific 10, I recommend taking a hard look at Washington and Washington State. The Huskies and the Cougars have solid teams and both are capable of beating Arizona. Here in the Greater Puget Sound area, folks are discussing the possibility of Washington running the table in the Pacific 10, and Washington State, behind the star power of Klay Thompson, is off to a great start to their season.

Washington beat Virginia by 43 points in the Maui Classic, and Washington State is currently up on Baylor (by one point with 7:23 to go) in the Diamond Head Classic. However, the Cougars are in some foul trouble as Thompson has 4 and DeAngelo Casto has 3.

EDIT: Washington State 77, Baylor 71

Pomeroy has the Pac-10 ranked as follows:
1. Washington (#5 Nationally)
2. Arizona (#15 Nationally)
3. Wazzu (#24 Nationally)
4. USC (#55)
5. UCLA (#57)
6. ASU (#75)
7. Cal (#77)
8. Stanford (#109)
9. Oregon (#114)
10. Oregon State (#174).

As such, any of the top 3 teams really (Wash, Arizona, or Wazzu) are premium opponents who would be good wins for anyone, or are not bad losses. Beyond that, it's not very good (they're worse than the ACC, amazingly).

gam7
12-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Going into last week, no team among the nine remaining Unbeaten was flying further under the radar than Northwestern. In its characteristically low profile fashion, the Wildcats discreetly exited stage left on Tuesday night, falling to St. John's. So, we have eight undefeated teams remaining.

The conference breakdown is as follows:

3 Big East
1 ACC
1 Big 10
1 Big 12
1 Mountain West
1 Conference USA

Right out of the gate on Monday, UConn has the week's toughest matchup for an unbeaten team with its road tilt against Pitt. Pomeroy gives UConn only a 17% likelihood of returning returning to Storrs with a victory. Most of the other undefeated teams ease into their conference schedules this week. Full schedule is below:

Duke 1 1 11-0 ACC 12/29: @UNCG (300); 1/2: Miami FL (66)
Ohio St 2 2 12-0 B10 12/27: Tenn Martin (296); 12/31: @Indiana (65)
Kansas 3 3 11-0 B12 12/29: Texas Arlington (286); Miami OH (197)
Cuse 7 5 13-0 BE 12/28: Providence (68); 1/1: Notre Dame (35)
SDSU 21 7 14-0 MWC 12/31: Occidental (NR)
Uconn 26 4 10-0 BE 12/27: @Pitt (4); 12/31: South Florida (121)
Cincy 36 29 12-0 BE 12/28: DePaul (180); 12/31: Seton Hall (59)
UCF 39 19 11-0 CUSA 12/29: Furman (134)

billyj
12-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Uconn just lost to Pitts. :)

hurley1
12-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Duke matches up well against both. Lots of mistakes tonite in that game.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Cincy will go down next. They have a ridiculous schedule coming up. Look at this:

Jan 6 vs XAV 7:00 PM ET
Jan 9 @#8 VILL 12:00 PM ET
Jan 12 vs USF 7:00 PM ET
Jan 15 @#5 SYR 12:00 PM ET
Jan 19 @#15 ND 7:00 PM ET
Jan 22 @SJU 4:00 PM ET

Ourselves, along with KU, OSU, and UCF have a pretty easy schedule relatively speaking.

In order, I think the next to go down will be Cincy, then Cuse, SDSU, UCF, OSU, KU...then finally us at some point :D

gam7
01-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Last week, only one undefeated team fell by the wayside with UConn losing at Pitt early last week. We now have seven undefeated teams in Division I, and for the first time this season, all of the undefeated teams are ranked in the AP Top 25 (Cincinnati has finally broken through). Two teams represent the Big East, while the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Mountain West Conference and Conference USA each has a horse in the race.

Looking ahead, Cincinnati has the single toughest matchup of the week when it travels to Villanova next Sunday. Pomeroy gives the Bearcats a 26% chance of victory. But before Nova, Cincy has to handle a solid Xavier team at home.

Aside from Cincinnati, Duke has the toughest schedule in terms of quality of opponents with UAB and Maryland (fortunately both at home), and San Diego State has two conference road games this week (@TCU and @Utah), which is never easy.

Below is the full schedule for the coming week.

Ohio St 1 2 14-0 B10 1/4: @Iowa (72); 1/9: Minnesota (58)
Duke 2 1 13-0 ACC 1/5: UAB (61); 1/9: Maryland (23)
Kansas 3 3 13-0 B12 1/5: Missouri - KC (267); 1/9: @Michigan (63)
Cuse 7 4 15-0 BE 1/8: @Seton Hall (69)
SDSU 20 6 15-0 MWC 1/5: @TCU (123); 1/8: @Utah (145)
Cincy 26 24 14-0 BE 1/6: Xavier (76); 1/9: @Villanova (12)
UCF 36 19 13-0 CUSA 1/5: Marshall (107); 1/8: @Houston (212)

gam7
01-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Ohio State moves to 15-0 after winning at Iowa Tuesday night, 73-68, behind a 24-point, 12-rebound effort by Sullinger. This was Ohio State's first victory of less than 10 points this season.

On Wednesday, four unbeatens are in action. Other than the Duke-UAB game, San Diego State travels to TCU, surprising UCF takes on Marshall and Kansas hosts East Cupcake State (whoops, I mean Missouri - Kansas City).

gam7
01-06-2011, 06:06 PM
All four unbeatens in action yesterday won their games. Today Cincinnati takes on Xavier in the latest installment of the intense local Cincinnati rivalry.

1 24 90
01-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Down to 6 - UCF just lost on the road to Houston. Upset Saturday continues!!!

gam7
01-09-2011, 02:51 AM
Yes, UCF fell to Houston and its Pomeroy ranking coming into the game of 213.

Sunday features four solid challenges for The Unbeaten. In addition to Duke-Maryland, Ohio State hosts Minnesota, Kansas travels to Michigan and Cincinnati visits Villanova.

Saratoga2
01-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Yes, UCF fell to Houston and its Pomeroy ranking coming into the game of 213.

Sunday features four solid challenges for The Unbeaten. In addition to Duke-Maryland, Ohio State hosts Minnesota, Kansas travels to Michigan and Cincinnati visits Villanova.

Cinn vs Villanova could be the toughest match for an unbeaten, although all are solid matches. Villanova is ranked 7th in both the AP top 25 and the coaches poll.

Olympic Fan
01-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Cinn vs Villanova could be the toughest match for an unbeaten, although all are solid matches. Villanova is ranked 7th in both the AP top 25 and the coaches poll.

Of all the unbeatens, Cincinnati is the biggest fraud, compiling a 15-0 record against the nation's 338th toughest schedule (according to Pomeroy). They've beaten three top 100 teams -- all at home, none higher ranked than No. 71 Seton Hall (which was playing without its best player).

Starting today, we'll see what the Bearcats are made off -- Pomeroy predicts them to lose four of the their next five games -- at Villanova, at Syracuse, at St. John's and at Notre Dame. If they win even one of those four (and take care of South Florida at home), I'll be impressed.

But for now, they remind me of some of the Clemson teams of the '90s and early part of this century that would pile up great records against patsies, then get blitzed when ACC play starts. Not sure, but I seem to remember one year when they were the nation's last unbeaten team -- and failed to make the NCAA Tournament.

That could happen to Cincinnati this season.

Bob Green
01-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Of all the unbeatens, Cincinnati is the biggest fraud...Starting today, we'll see what the Bearcats are made off -- Pomeroy predicts them to lose four of the their next five games -- at Villanova, at Syracuse, at St. John's and at Notre Dame. If they win even one of those four (and take care of South Florida at home), I'll be impressed.

You called this one right OF, Villanova defeated Cincinnati 72-61.

Bob Green
01-09-2011, 04:14 PM
After leading big early, Ohio State held on to defeat the Minnesota Golden Gophers 67-64 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=310090194) to improve to 16-0.

For the DBR "minutes police," Jon Diebler and William Buford played 38 minutes each, while Jared Sullinger logged 36 minutes. Only seven players played for the Buckeyes.

WiJoe
01-09-2011, 04:25 PM
After leading big early, Ohio State held on to defeat the Minnesota Golden Gophers 67-64 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=310090194) to improve to 16-0.

For the DBR "minutes police," Jon Diebler and William Buford played 38 minutes each, while Jared Sullinger logged 36 minutes. Only seven players played for the Buckeyes.

"Minutes police", ha ha Bob. Very funny. Seriously. "Minutes police". Just made me laugh.

:cool:

gam7
01-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Last week saw two more teams join the ranks of the defeated. It was apropos that the most surprising unbeaten team in the land, UCF, suffered an unexpected loss to lightly regarded Houston. On Sunday, Cincinnati laid an egg at Villanova. Sunday’s other games for The Unbeaten proved to be very competitive. Our Duke-Maryland game has been covered in detail in other threads. Also, Ohio State hung on to beat Minnesota by three, and Kansas needed an extra five minutes to put away Michigan.

So, we are down to five undefeated teams, which occupy five of the top six slots in the AP poll. No conference has more than one undefeated team. The ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East and Mountain West Conference are represented on this list.

In the coming week, each undefeated team plays on Wednesday and Saturday. This is a pretty tough week for The Unbeaten: no opponent of an undefeated team this week has a Pomeroy ranking over 100, and only one – Virginia – has a Pomeroy ranking above 75.

Every team has an intriguing matchup on Wednesday. Of course, it’s never pretty when Duke travels to Florida State. Syracuse visits St. John’s, Kansas is at Iowa State, San Diego State hosts UNLV and Ohio State travels to Michigan in a rivalry game (talk about two brutal back-to-back home games for Michigan – Kansas and OSU). Michigan is bound to come out fired up after nearly capitalizing against Kansas.

SDSU has the lowest likelihood of remaining undefeated. Pomeroy gives the Aztecs less than a 60% chance of winning each of its games this week (UNLV, @New Mexico).

Full schedule for the week is below:

Duke 1 1 15-0 ACC 1/12: @Florida State (52); 1/15: Virginia (99)
Ohio St 2 2 16-0 B10 1/12: @Michigan (61); 1/15: Penn St. (74)
Kansas 3 3 15-0 B12 1/12: @Iowa St. (43); 1/15: Nebraska (36)
Cuse 8 4 16-0 BE 1/12: @St. John's (45); 1/15: Cincinnati (23)
SDSU 22 6 17-0 MWC 1/12: UNLV (15); 1/15: @New Mexico (57)

superdave
01-10-2011, 01:20 PM

We've got an APB out on a Nolan Smith and a Kyle Singler. Both suspects have not rested enough during the last two conference games. Both are considered dangerous. Over.

JasonEvans
01-10-2011, 03:21 PM
4 of the undefeated play road games against conference rivals ranked around the top-50 while the 5th plays a home game against a conference rival ranked in the top 15.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that 2 of the 5 undefeated lose on Wednesday.

-Jason "the Saturday games are significantly easier" Evans

dukelifer
01-10-2011, 04:01 PM

2 minutes can make all the difference at the end of the year. Just look at how tired Kyle was at the end of last year -he could barely score 19 in the final game.

Bob Green
01-12-2011, 08:49 PM
All five unbeaten teams are in action tonight. Ohio State has already won 68-64 at Michigan and Syracuse is up on St. John's 75-57 with 1:12 remaining in the game. We all know the Duke-FSU game tips in 15 minutes as does Kansas-Iowa State. San Diego St is at home against UNLV at 10 EST.

So at least two unbeatens will remain for the weekend but I expect at least four with Duke and Kansas winning tonight. UNLV should give SDSU a real test.

Orange&BlackSheep
01-12-2011, 11:12 PM
All five unbeaten teams are in action tonight. Ohio State has already won 68-64 at Michigan and Syracuse is up on St. John's 75-57 with 1:12 remaining in the game. We all know the Duke-FSU game tips in 15 minutes as does Kansas-Iowa State. San Diego St is at home against UNLV at 10 EST.

So at least two unbeatens will remain for the weekend but I expect at least four with Duke and Kansas winning tonight. UNLV should give SDSU a real test.

Or not ..... [sigh]

HateCarolina
01-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Well this thread now officially pisses me off.

_Gary
01-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Once Kyrie went down any thoughts of this team going undefeated should have vanished. All that happened tonite was the inevitable. This team, sans KI, was NOT going to go undefeated and anyone that thought otherwise was fooling themselves.

Kill this thread now!

DukieInBrasil
01-12-2011, 11:18 PM
and Duke falls out of the unbeaten ranks by losing @ FSU.

Bob Green
01-12-2011, 11:19 PM
So at least two unbeatens will remain for the weekend but I expect at least four with Duke and Kansas winning tonight.

Obviously, the loss to FSU is 100 percent my fault.

weezie
01-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Big deal anyway, phooey. Let osu get all worked up about them darn selves.

NSDukeFan
01-12-2011, 11:38 PM

That's fine now. But please don't do that prior to Carolina games or either year-end tournament. :)

HateCarolina
01-12-2011, 11:43 PM
That's fine now. But please don't do that prior to Carolina games or either year-end tournament. :)

Thank you. I literally laughed out loud at this comment. I'm headed to bed now feeling a tad bit better.

jv001
01-12-2011, 11:45 PM

Jumbo said you jinxed Jon last year in getting to 2k points and we know how that turned out. Now you have set in motion reverse mo-jo. So we will our 5th championship. Go Duke!

gep
01-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Once Kyrie went down any thoughts of this team going undefeated should have vanished. All that happened tonite was the inevitable. This team, sans KI, was NOT going to go undefeated and anyone that thought otherwise was fooling themselves.

Kill this thread now!

I agree. Screw the "undefeataed" season stuff. Sure, I would have liked it. But, I think the ACC regular season, ACC tournament, and of course the NC is really all that matters in the end, huh? :cool:

gam7
01-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I was not looking forward to putting together this week’s update on The Unbeaten after Duke became last week’s casualty from the list. But, alas, life for The Unbeaten goes on.

This week is a brutal week for Syracuse, Kansas and Ohio State. Syracuse and Kansas jump into the deep end today with tough road games at Pitt and at Baylor, respectively. San Diego State gets a reprieve this week (just one home game against Air Force) after its impressive wins against UNLV and @New Mexico last week.

In the Upcoming Schedule section of the table below, I added Pomeroy’s likelihood of victory for each game. With Syracuse’s games at Pitt and against Villanova, the Orangemen have only a 24% chance of emerging from the week unscathed. Kansas has a 60% chance of being unbeaten after its matchups at Baylor and against Texas. Ohio State has a 63% chance of staying undefeated (@Illinois is a difficult game on Saturday).

Overall, there is only a 9% chance that all four unbeaten teams will still be undefeated at week’s end. There is an 11% chance that all three of Ohio State, Kansas and Syracuse all will lose.

For those of you wondering, according to Pomeroy, Duke has an 89% chance of winning its two games this week. There is approximately a 10% chance that all three of Ohio State, Kansas and Syracuse will lose this week AND Duke will win both games, which likely would result in Duke regaining its #1 ranking in the AP poll next week.

Ohio St 2 1 18-0 B10 1/19: Iowa (78, 97%); 1/22: @Illinois (20, 65%)
Kansas 3 2 17-0 B12 1/17: @Baylor (41, 76%); 1/22: Texas (9, 79%)
Cuse 7 3 18-0 BE 1/17: @Pitt (5, 33%); 1/22: Villanova (10, 72%)
SDSU 16 6 19-0 MWC 1/19: Air Force (122, 96%)

CDu
01-17-2011, 03:24 PM
For those of you wondering, according to Pomeroy, Duke has an 89% chance of winning its two games this week. There is approximately a 10% chance that all three of Ohio State, Kansas and Syracuse will lose this week AND Duke will win both games, which likely would result in Duke regaining its #1 ranking in the AP poll next week.

If OSU, KU, and Syracuse all lose this week and it is Pittsburgh that beats Syracuse, don't be surprised if they jump us in the AP poll (and remain ahead of us in the Coaches' poll).

That said, rankings in January don't mean all that much.

gam7
01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
If OSU, KU, and Syracuse all lose this week and it is Pittsburgh that beats Syracuse, don't be surprised if they jump us in the AP poll (and remain ahead of us in the Coaches' poll).

That said, rankings in January don't mean all that much.

Great point regarding Pitt, and I totally agree regarding the rankings.

JasonEvans
01-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Down goes Syracuse. Wow, did Pitt look great in this game. They are as good a passing team as I have seen in quite a while. I am rooting hard for them to win the BEast and be put in some bracket other than ours. I want no part of them in the Tourney. I'll take Syracuse, Villanova, or Kentucky as our #2 seed, ahead of Pitt in a heartbeat.

Kansas ran over Baylor. It is such a tribute to K that Duke stays on top year after year while the other contenders rise up and then fall back. Baylor, KSt, Michigan State, and Butler all looked like pre-season Top 5 or Top 10 teams after strong showings in the NCAA tourney last year. Frankly, they all appear to be closer to Bubble than Final Four at this point this year.

--Jason "San Diego St is going to be the last unbeaten standing" Evans

sagegrouse
01-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Kansas losing at home by ten against the Horns. -- sagegrouse

94duke
01-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Final
Texas 74
Kansas 63

Duke: A Dynasty
01-22-2011, 06:21 PM
So shall we move up to #3 in the polls now? Ohio State, Pitt, Duke, Kansas

uh_no
01-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Final
Texas 74
Kansas 63

we now have the longest home win streak i believe? we haven't lost since UNC 2 years ago....so thats close to 40 games right?

delfrio
01-22-2011, 06:23 PM
So shall we move up to #3 in the polls now? Ohio State, Pitt, Duke, Kansas

I could see an argument for Kansas moving to 3rd and us at 4th, but not a very good argument.

stillcrazie
01-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Didn't Kansas and Syracuse both lose to ranked teams? I don't see how we jump over them.

uh_no
01-22-2011, 06:29 PM
I could see an argument for Kansas moving to 3rd and us at 4th, but not a very good argument.

not with the way kansas lost....if it were a close game? maybe, but losing like that at HOME? say goodbye kansas.....I can see an argument for uconn moving in front of them too, but my guess is

OSU
Pitt
Duke
sdsu
kansas
uconn
villanova
byu
syracuse

I think pitt is the best team in the country ATM...they've beaten syracuse by 8, georgetown by 15, connecticut by 15, and aside from the close loss to tennessee, they've run the table.....they've yet to play villanova, but the way they're destroying people is incredible

Duke: A Dynasty
01-22-2011, 06:32 PM
not with the way kansas lost....if it were a close game? maybe, but losing like that at HOME? say goodbye kansas.....I can see an argument for uconn moving in front of them too, but my guess is

OSU
Pitt
Duke
sdsu
kansas
uconn
villanova
byu
syracuse

I think pitt is the best team in the country ATM...they've beaten syracuse by 8, georgetown by 15, connecticut by 15, and aside from the close loss to tennessee, they've run the table.....they've yet to play villanova, but the way they're destroying people is incredible

Yea I think this is most likely but idk if Kansas will fall that far. I say switch SDSU and Kansas

4decadedukie
01-22-2011, 06:37 PM
we now have the longest home win streak i believe? we haven't lost since UNC 2 years ago....so thats close to 40 games right?

That is correct; Duke now has Men's Division I's longest home winning steak.

uh_no
01-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Yea I think this is most likely but idk if Kansas will fall that far. I say switch SDSU and Kansas

Its a close call....an undefeated SDSU (well....we'll see about that later) vs a kansas team coming off a bad loss at home (bad in the way they lost, not becuase of the quality of the competition) I can certainly see the voters going either way

texas
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM
That is correct; Duke now has Men's Division I's longest home winning steak.

you're welcome :cool:

awesome win for us (texas) today, especially after the meltdown last season. if we can get into the regional in san antonio, we might be able to do some damage this year in the big dance.

gumbomoop
01-22-2011, 08:00 PM
.... my guess is

OSU
Pitt
Duke
sdsu
kansas
uconn
villanova
byu
syracuse

I'd think Texas must move up several spots, with 2 very impressive wins. Maybe this?

OSU
Pitt
Duke
Texas
Kansas
SDSU
BYU
Nova

No, that's probably too radical; but surely Texas gets into top 10.

Bob Green
01-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Its a close call....an undefeated SDSU (well....we'll see about that later) vs a kansas team coming off a bad loss at home (bad in the way they lost, not becuase of the quality of the competition) I can certainly see the voters going either way

San Diego State University does not play before the next polls are released. They travel to #9 BYU on Wednesday January 26. When the new polls come out on Monday, SDSU will be undefeated.

gam7
01-22-2011, 09:11 PM
San Diego State University does not play before the next polls are released. They travel to #9 BYU on Wednesday January 26. When the new polls come out on Monday, SDSU will be undefeated.

I see San Diego State ranked #5 in the next poll, but if they win at BYU (Pomeroy gives them a 29% chance of winning), they very well may jump the one-loss teams ahead of them in the following week's poll, even if the one-loss teams do not lose. San Diego State's strength of schedule is almost the same as Duke's (Pomeroy ranks Duke's schedule 33rd and SDSU's 34th in the nation). What they have done is very impressive. I watched them against Air Force, and they have size, athleticism, versatility, outside shooting when D.J. Gay is on (which does not always happen but he's been hot lately) and depth. I think of them as sort of this year's version of last year's Baylor without domestic abusers (cough, LaceDarius Dunn, cough) and frowning, pouting, pushy wannabe tough guys (I feel a sneeze coming on...a-QUINCY ACY... excuse me).

EDIT: And for the Kenpom devotees out there, today is the last day that there is any influence of last season's play in his rankings. Starting tomorrow, efficiency numbers, etc. will be based on only this year's performance.

94duke
01-22-2011, 09:29 PM
EDIT: And for the Kenpom devotees out there, today is the last day that there is any influence of last season's play in his rankings. Starting tomorrow, efficiency numbers, etc. will be based on only this year's performance.

Is there a way for Kenpom to adjust numbers based on injury?

gam7
01-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Is there a way for Kenpom to adjust numbers based on injury?

I'll defer to the more knowledgeable Kenpom followers, but I believe that his numbers are not adjusted for injuries. Looking at Duke's "Game Plan" will allow you to see what our efficiency numbers are for each game and where each game's efficiency numbers rank compared to each team's other opponents. This will give you some sense of the difference in numbers pre-injury vs. post-injury.

MCFinARL
01-22-2011, 11:00 PM
I'd think Texas must move up several spots, with 2 very impressive wins. Maybe this?

OSU
Pitt
Duke
Texas
Kansas
SDSU
BYU
Nova

No, that's probably too radical; but surely Texas gets into top 10.

Well since they are already #10 in the AP poll, and #11 in the coaches' poll, I'd say their getting into top 10 this week is a pretty solid bet.

gam7
01-24-2011, 01:11 PM
And then there were two. Last week, Syracuse struggled with both of its tough games, falling at Pitt and at home to Villanova. Kansas’s 69-game home win streak was snapped by Texas.

So, now we have two unbeatens: Ohio State and San Diego State (which has moved up to #4 in both polls). This week’s games feature Tuesday’s matchup between Ohio State and Big Ten contender Purdue in Columbus. JaJuan Johnson will be a good test for Sullinger. Ohio State has a 78% chance of coming away with the win. On Wednesday, San Diego State visits 19-1 BYU in what is likely the Aztecs’ toughest game of the season. Pomeroy gives SDSU a 30% likelihood of winning. Taken together, there is a 15% chance that we will enter the weekend without any remaining undefeated teams in Division I.

Full schedule is below:

Ohio St 1 1 20-0 B10 1/25: Purdue (9, 78%); 1/29: @NWU (48, 83%)
SDSU 13 4 20-0 MWC 1/26: @BYU (12, 30%); 1/29: Wyoming (219, 99%)

pfrduke
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I'll defer to the more knowledgeable Kenpom followers, but I believe that his numbers are not adjusted for injuries. Looking at Duke's "Game Plan" will allow you to see what our efficiency numbers are for each game and where each game's efficiency numbers rank compared to each team's other opponents. This will give you some sense of the difference in numbers pre-injury vs. post-injury.

They're not weighed for injury, per se, but the number are weighed to have a recency bias. So for Duke, for example, our post-toe performance will be given relatively more weight than our early-season performance with Kyrie. As the season goes on, this will be more and more true.

Bluedevil114
01-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Then there was Ohio State all by themselves undefeated. They will still find a way to lose in the tournament as usual.

Grey Devil
01-27-2011, 02:28 AM
Then there was Ohio State all by themselves undefeated.

....and the Duke women! :cool:

Grey Devil

1 24 90
01-27-2011, 10:44 AM
I was wondering how the last remaining undefeated team usually fares in the NCAA tournament. Not sure how to check this. A few pop into mind:

1991 - UNLV - We know how that ended.
2004 - St. Joseph's - Lost regional final to Oklahoma St.
2005 - Illinois - Lost title game

I remember when Clemson was 17-0 and didn't even make the tourney a few years back.

Whoever it was last year, (Kansas?) didn't win it all either.

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Check out the side bar of this article. Lists the last remaining unbeaten team and their tourney success in the last 8 years:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310260252

pfrduke
01-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Check out the side bar of this article. Lists the last remaining unbeaten team and their tourney success in the last 8 years:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310260252

And the worst performances on that list (the only two not to make at least the Elite 8) are the two ACC teams on that list. *sigh*

Wander
01-27-2011, 11:49 AM
I was wondering how the last remaining undefeated team usually fares in the NCAA tournament. Not sure how to check this. A few pop into mind:

1991 - UNLV - We know how that ended.
2004 - St. Joseph's - Lost regional final to Oklahoma St.
2005 - Illinois - Lost title game

I remember when Clemson was 17-0 and didn't even make the tourney a few years back.

Whoever it was last year, (Kansas?) didn't win it all either.

Florida was the last undefeated team in 2006 when they won it all (but only by a margin of a few hours over Duke and someone else I don't remember).

And Memphis in 2008 made the NCAA title game.

gam7
02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
After San Diego State's loss at BYU last week, Ohio State is the last unbeaten team standing. Their body of work really has been outstanding. Here is what the Buckeyes have on their slate this week before their trip to Wisconsin a week from Saturday:

Ohio St 1 1 22-0 B10 2/3: Michigan (61, 96%); 2/6: @Minnesota (43, 81%)

Bob Green
02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
After San Diego State's loss at BYU last week, Ohio State is the last unbeaten team standing. Their body of work really has been outstanding. Here is what the Buckeyes have on their slate this week before their trip to Wisconsin a week from Saturday:

Ohio St 1 1 22-0 B10 2/3: Michigan (61, 96%); 2/6: @Minnesota (43, 81%)

What I find impressive about Ohio State's body of work is the close road games they've won, which is a solid sign they are a quality team:

Jan. 29 58-57 at Northwestern
Jan. 22 73-68 at Illinois
Jan. 12 68-64 at Michigan
Jan. 4 73-68 at Iowa

Can they perform as well on the road in February? Their first test will be at Minnesota on Super Bowl Sunday (can we say that here :cool:) followed by the game at Wisconsin on Feb. 12.

http://www.kenpom.com/team.php?team=Ohio%20St.

gam7
02-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Ohio State continues to roll along with two nice wins last week against Michigan and at Minnesota. The Buckeyes have just one game this week, but it's a doozy. On Saturday, they travel to Wisconsin, which is never fun. Just ask last year's Duke team. Or, this year's Michigan State team, which yesterday got crushed at Wisconsin by 26. According to Pomeroy, Ohio State is a 50-50 bet to win.

Ohio St 1 1 24-0 B10 2/12: @Wisconsin (5, 50%)

rasputin
02-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Ohio State continues to roll along with two nice wins last week against Michigan and at Minnesota. The Buckeyes have just one game this week, but it's a doozy. On Saturday, they travel to Wisconsin, which is never fun. Just ask last year's Duke team. Or, this year's Michigan State team, which yesterday got crushed at Wisconsin by 26. According to Pomeroy, Ohio State is a 50-50 bet to win.

Ohio St 1 1 24-0 B10 2/12: @Wisconsin (5, 50%)

I was surprised at how easily the Ohio State team took out Minnesota, in Minnesota's building. I haven't seen the numbers, but it seemed like tOSU got every rebound. Of course, Wisconsin is always tough in their building. The Buckeyes have all week to prepare.

JasonEvans
02-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Pom is currently giving Ohio St a 15% chance of going unbeaten (regular season - we still would have the B10 tourney before the NCAA tourney).

After this weekend at Wisconsin, where Purdue's 7-point loss was the closest Wiscy has come to losing a home game all season, they still have to play at Purdue and close the season with Wisconsin visiting The Value City Arena (TOSU's home court).

It is a tall task.

-Jason "Ohio State has had several very close escapes this year -- will it ever catch up to them?" Evans

Indoor66
02-07-2011, 05:19 PM
It is a tall task.

That may be a Lure-id statment!

Jderf
02-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Pom is currently giving Ohio St a 15% chance of going unbeaten (regular season - we still would have the B10 tourney before the NCAA tourney).

After this weekend at Wisconsin, where Purdue's 7-point loss was the closest Wiscy has come to losing a home game all season, they still have to play at Purdue and close the season with Wisconsin visiting The Value City Arena (TOSU's home court).

It is a tall task.

-Jason "Ohio State has had several very close escapes this year -- will it ever catch up to them?" Evans

OSU is putting on a show in the second half @ #14 Wisconsin. Pretty intimidating. 47-34 right now with about 12 minutes left.

(Edit: back-to-back 3s for Wisconsin just cut the lead to 7.)

dukelifer
02-12-2011, 03:28 PM
OSU is putting on a show in the second half @ #14 Wisconsin. Pretty intimidating. 47-34 right now with about 12 minutes left.

(Edit: back-to-back 3s for Wisconsin just cut the lead to 7.)
First time I have watched them. They will be a very good tourney team where tough half court defense is key.

snowdenscold
02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Nice toughness from Wisconsin to tie the game! (twice) w/ 9:00 left.

For awhile there, it seemed like nothing could go right for OSU and everything went right for Wisconsin.

Jderf
02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
First time I have watched them. They will be a very good tourney team where tough half court defense is key.

Wow. Wiscy just keyed off a 15-0 run to tie up the game. Guess these kinds of things happen at the Kohl Center.

gam7
02-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Not sure which team you are referring to but it actually doesn't matter; I want no part of either of these teams in the tournament.

snowdenscold
02-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Wisconsin pulls ahead by 7 with 4 minutes left! This is shaping up to be a pretty good game.

timmy c
02-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Ohio St. down by 7 with 24 seconds left...

bluepenguin
02-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Wisconsin 71 Ohio State 67

dukelifer
02-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Wisconsin 71 Ohio State 67

Note to OSU: Never relax in a rivalry game. Ohio State up by 15 in the second half and Wisconsin goes on a huge run with a barrage of threes. Amazing win.

dukelifer
02-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Not sure which team you are referring to but it actually doesn't matter; I want no part of either of these teams in the tournament.

Was talking about OSU but both teams are very good.

-jk
02-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Ohio St has finally gotten their first L, but we can still watch Centenary. When do they get their first W?

Pom gives them a 60% chance of going winless during the regular season.

-jk

loran16
02-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Ohio St has finally gotten their first L, but we can still watch Centenary. When do they get their first W?

Pom gives them a 60% chance of going winless during the regular season.

-jk

To be fair, they're moving to D3 next season and lost multiple players to transfer once that became known.

gam7
02-12-2011, 09:11 PM
And somewhere in Bristol, CT, and the State of Indiana, Coach Knight and Quinn Buckner are popping the champagne tonight to celebrate Ohio State's loss. Mercury Morris might be joining them just for the heck of it.