PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames

House G
12-04-2010, 10:55 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-7224360&bcmt=6384981
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/mocking-tournament-40-funny-nicknames-166380
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/list_of_basketball_player_nicknames
http://str8hoops.com/nba-player-nicknames/

I need someone to diagnose my problem. I just spent six hours driving through Texas with three teenage boys on the way to a lacrosse tournament. Halfway there, my son asks me if I know which basketball player has the nickname "The Human Victory Cigar"?
I had no clue. He said it is Darko Milicic because he only gets off the bench after the game is won. Funny. So I spend the entire evening and night thinking of famous nicknames. Then I start thinking of former Duke player nicknames, some of which are found in these links. Then I start wondering if Kyrie Irving has a nickname. There have been several threads about nicknames on DBR in the past with several proposed for Mr. Irving (KI, Dr. K, etc). I am interested in other fans' favorite nicknames, proposals for current Duke players, and advice on "how to get a life".

moonpie23
12-04-2010, 10:59 AM
he can borrow mine......

"the dream assassin"...

i said BORROW.....

basket1544
12-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I typically don't nickname freshmen but refer to them as Mr. Irving for example.
But Mr. Irving is special (to say the least). So I spent most of last game coming up with nicknames for him. He's not Scissors because we've already got one of those. He's not Ky because we've already got one of those. :D At the end of the game I started calling him Mr. Rie. Sound it out - it is a mystery to me how he can get to the rim and finish the way he does. And I also need to get a life... oh well.

weezie
12-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I am interested in...advice on "how to get a life".

Maybe start watching paint dry? lol

PS, "Son of House G" is absolutely correct on Darko, former Piston bust. I know why I like those boys of yours!

House G
12-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I typically don't nickname freshmen but refer to them as Mr. Irving for example.
But Mr. Irving is special (to say the least). So I spent most of last game coming up with nicknames for him. He's not Scissors because we've already got one of those. He's not Ky because we've already got one of those. :D At the end of the game I started calling him Mr. Rie. Sound it out - it is a mystery to me how he can get to the rim and finish the way he does. And I also need to get a life... oh well.

I agree but this freshman may not be around long. I tossed around the following: The Comet, The Ghost, Flashdrive, The Memory (he goes by people so fast they only have a memory of it--also plays well with Kyrie-- Kyrie "The Memory" irving).

Utley
12-05-2010, 12:25 AM
I had a buddy come up with the name Dr K for Kyrie today - works for me. Apologies if someone has proposed this one already.

Deslok
12-05-2010, 01:47 AM
His teammates can call him Kyrie, but that's Mister Mister Irving to you.

Of course, had we had a bad year like UNC, there would only be one nickname for a kid with his first name and abilities... "Handel's Messiah"

But maybe I'm just going with things too obscure for $200, Alex.

House G
12-06-2010, 07:06 AM
I have one more and then I'll leave it alone. Kyrie " The Legend" Irving. For 2 reasons: the first is for the obvious, the second as a takeoff on Washington Irving who, of course, wrote The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

grossbus
12-06-2010, 07:35 AM
i have been calling him Kyrie Krossover.

fogey
12-06-2010, 08:09 AM
"Blue Bayou" would seem to fit...

wilko
12-06-2010, 08:14 AM
As an homage to the movie Die Hard
(for no particular reason other than the team wont be an easy out fer anyone...)

I like: "Yippie Ki Ree, mo foe"
It really, really feels good to say it outloud after he does one of his spinning scooping drives.

Try it!!! - just make sure no children are in the room and the women in the general area get the true nature of an excited fan....

slower
12-06-2010, 08:38 AM
As always, the forced names we try to come up with are FAR worse than the nicknames the players themselves create or that develop naturally.

slower
12-06-2010, 08:41 AM
"Blue Bayou" would seem to fit...

not trying to be obtuse, but I don't get it

The Gordog
12-06-2010, 09:27 AM
not trying to be obtuse, but I don't get it

Blue Bayou = blew by you

MCFinARL
12-06-2010, 09:52 AM
I have one more and then I'll leave it alone. Kyrie " The Legend" Irving. For 2 reasons: the first is for the obvious, the second as a takeoff on Washington Irving who, of course, wrote The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

Now, don't lose your head!

slower
12-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Blue Bayou = blew by you

Thanks!

SuperTurkey
12-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I had a buddy come up with the name Dr K for Kyrie today - works for me. Apologies if someone has proposed this one already.

For my money, this is the best I've yet seen.

gwlaw99
12-06-2010, 10:55 AM
For my money, this is the best I've yet seen.

Dr. K sounds very good, but as much as I love Kyrie, I think the "Dr." nickname should only be Dr. J. He was a unique player. I wouldn't want anyone to call another player "Magic" either.

One thought I had was some nickname after the insane spin Kyrie puts on his layups off the glass, but "English" sounded lame.

dball
12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Dr. K sounds very good, but as much as I love Kyrie, I think the "Dr." nickname should only be Dr. J. He was a unique player. I wouldn't want anyone to call another player "Magic" either.

One thought I had was some nickname after the insane spin Kyrie puts on his layups off the glass, but "English" sounded lame.

Bilas referenced "majoring in English" on one shot.

PADukeMom
12-06-2010, 01:48 PM
2011 NCAA Champ works for me.

lotusland
12-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Dr. K has already been given to Tim Kempton formerly of the Charlotte Hornets in their inaugural season.

Utley
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Kyrie's so good at stealing that I think he could take it from Kempton. Besides, you have to be an Erving/Irving to be a "Dr.".

dukebballcamper90-91
12-06-2010, 10:57 PM
KI (like AI)

Reilly
12-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Why was "Bones" McKinney called "Bones"?

As far as nicknames I've liked: Sleepy Floyd has a nice ring to it.

Indoor66
12-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Why was "Bones" McKinney called "Bones"?

He was skinny.

rsvman
12-07-2010, 01:13 PM
There's a streetball player that has insane hops; he does a 720-degree dunk at their "games."

The guy's nickname is "Air Up There," as in: "How's the air up there?"

They also call him "Mr. 720," but for my money Air Up There is a much better nickname.

You can check out his abilities on YouTube.

CPDUKEGUY24
12-07-2010, 01:29 PM
"Magic Man, (waves hand in front of own face) now you see him, now you don't" - to quote the great Cal Naughton.:cool:

05dukie
12-08-2010, 05:52 PM
I personally think it would be AMAZING if the Cameron Crazies could sing the opening bars to the "Kyrie Eleison" either in a Gregorian chant style or like the kyrie section in Mozart's Requiem. It would have to be well orchestrated but it would be much more original than just a nickname. If Kansas fans can handle the Rock, Chalk chant, certainly the Crazies could manage a slow but fierce chant of their own.

Greg_Newton
12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
From his style of play and reckless movements, I always want to call him something like "Swervin' Irvin".

And Seth needs to pick it up if him and Dre are going to be Iceman & Maverick . :p

KShip21
12-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Friends and I have been calling Dre "Splash" since Wisconsin last year. It's fitting, I'd like to see it catch on

verga
12-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Blue Bayou, one of Roy Orbison's earlier classics, a nice remake by Ronstadt, also a golf shaft made by a major company.

weezie
12-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Geez, you guys are killing me lol.

House G
12-09-2010, 08:30 PM
From his style of play and reckless movements, I always want to call him something like "Swervin' Irvin".

And Seth needs to pick it up if him and Dre are going to be Iceman & Maverick . :p

I thought George Gervin was The Iceman ;)