PDA

View Full Version : VB Cruises in NCAA First Round

burnspbesq
12-03-2010, 11:58 PM
The Devils defeated High Point 25-12, 25-20, 25-20. Duke hit .327 as a team, led by Christiana Gray and Sophia Dunworth, and held the Panthers to .126.

Duke plays Ohio University in the second round at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday in Cameron. The winner of that match advances to the Sweet Sixteen at Penn State, to face either Northwestern or Missouri. Mizzou eliminated overall number five seen Northern Iowa.

The ACC went 4-1 on opening night, with only Miami losing. It gets tougher tomorrow night: Carolina, FSU, and VaTech all face seeded teams (Cal, Florida, and Penn State, respectively) on their home floors.

Congrats to the team and staff. LGD!

hughgs
12-04-2010, 06:16 AM
The Devils defeated High Point 25-12, 25-20, 25-20. Duke hit .327 as a team, led by Christiana Gray and Sophia Dunworth, and held the Panthers to .126.

Duke plays Ohio University in the second round at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday in Cameron. The winner of that match advances to the Sweet Sixteen at Penn State, to face either Northwestern or Missouri. Mizzou eliminated overall number five seen Northern Iowa.

The ACC went 4-1 on opening night, with only Miami losing. It gets tougher tomorrow night: Carolina, FSU, and VaTech all face seeded teams (Cal, Florida, and Penn State, respectively) on their home floors.

Congrats to the team and staff. LGD!

Duke certainly didn't cruise to a win in the second game (I refuse to call them sets). Duke was behind most of the game and started to fall further behind about 1/2 through. Duke managed to win after some great substitutions to allow Duke to stay close when the score was in the high teens. They subsequently tied the score around 20, followed by a good defensive dig by Waterfield and then swept the rest of the points.

I only saw the final OU-Penn game and OU looked pretty good. When I looked the stat sheet it said the Penn hit -0.127. OU had some good digs that game and Penn had real problems with their attack. Whether that's indicative of OU in general remains to be seen.

MCFinARL
12-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Good news! Thanks for sharing--and thanks to the second poster for the detailed analysis. Let's hope we have a good answer for Ohio.