Who are you rooting for tomorrow?

UNC is gonna have a crappy season anyway....so [] kentucky....all of them

MChambers
12-03-2010, 02:02 PM
UNC is gonna have a crappy season anyway....so [] kentucky....all of them

Do I have to root for one of them?

Duke: A Dynasty
12-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Easy... UK. ABC!!!!! Although I do hate having to root for Calipari and his dirty program....

SuperTurkey
12-03-2010, 02:04 PM
There should be an option for "Sinkhole."

Duke: A Dynasty
12-03-2010, 02:07 PM
ugh imagine this.. Final Four in the NCAA tournament: Maryland, UK, UCONN, UNC. What would we do then?

roywhite
12-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Do I have to root for one of them?

No, rooting for a meteor strike on the building is a good alternative.

ThePublisher
12-03-2010, 02:17 PM
I have to root against Kentucy in this matter. Not for unc, but against kentucky. I can't morally bring myself to root for calipari and his ways. Kentucky winning makes what he does 'ok' in the national media. Just like Vick's comeback has somehow made dogfighting 'ok' since he was just let back into professional sports a convicted felon and is now playing well. He is still a dog killer, but that's not an issue anymore. Calipari wins a title and people will think its ok to cheat and pay for recruits, ruining what little purity the college game still maintains. Thank goodness for people like coach K.

MulletMan
12-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Tomorrow? I'll be rooting for Duke.

timmy c
12-03-2010, 02:33 PM
I am holding my proverbial nose while voting for UNC. May Jeebus (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jeebus) have mercy on my soul.

fisheyes
12-03-2010, 02:44 PM
This is easier for me than UNC vs UConnvicts. I go with KY here.

UNC vs UConnvicts....I just wouldn't watch.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Remember that Simpsons where Homer saves Springfield from a nuclear meltdown by doing "eenie meanie miney mo?" Thats what I was just doing when picking.

In all honesty though, I gotta go with UNC on this one (my God that hurts). Someone from the ACC besides us needs a good win and like someone above already said, UNC is going to have a crappy season anyway, if they have to get 1 good win, it might as well be against the 2nd most evil team in the country and most evil coach in the country.

SCMatt33
12-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I will be rooting 110% for Kentucky. Not that you need a rational reason to root against carolina, but this win could mean everything for carolina and very little for kentucky. Right now, carolina has no good wins on its resume. They have two more shots in their non-conference schedule with UK and Texas. If they lose both of those games the only win (or possible win) in the top 100 (based on Pomeroy), is #97 CoC. A few others (Lipscomb, Rutgers, and Long Beach State) could conceivably jump into the top 100), but its doubtful that any would get close to the top 50. With that non conference resume and few top notch opportunities in the ACC, they could be looking at an uphill road to putting together an NCAA quality resume. Without a top non-conference win, UNC could possibly be in a Va Tech situation if they went 10-6 in conference with no wins over Duke.

That is getting WAY WAY WAY ahead of ourselves, but it goes to show that UNC has limited opportunities to grab big wins this year and it's a big deal every time they miss one. Kentucky on the other hand already has a good win (UW) and plenty of opportunity to get more. A win over UNC would be nice for them, but can't really have a major effect on their season one way or another.

With all of that said, even if the complete opposite were true, I would still root 110% for UK, because I just can't ever root for carolina.

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-03-2010, 02:47 PM
No one wins tomorrow, they just lose less.

CameronBornAndBred
12-03-2010, 02:52 PM
I won't be "rooting" for either of them. But I'll smile when I see carolina with less points in the box score.

tylervinyard
12-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Easy. Root for UK. This means UNC loses, and after the season all UK's wins get vacated, so no one wins.

superdave
12-03-2010, 03:02 PM
I dont care who disagrees with me - if you ever cheer for Unc I dont trust you as a Duke fan. You're dead to me.

SuperTurkey
12-03-2010, 03:07 PM
I dont care who disagrees with me - if you ever cheer for Unc I dont trust you as a Duke fan. You're dead to me.

I agree, and yet rooting for Calipari is antithetical to human dignity. This is a philosophical quandry on par with "could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it." The question is unanswerable. I abstain.

Indoor66
12-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Actually I want both to lose. That said, I would pull for the Devil over the boys from the Dump on the Hump.

Jderf
12-03-2010, 03:08 PM
ugh imagine this.. Final Four in the NCAA tournament: Maryland, UK, UCONN, UNC. What would we do then?

Study? ... oh god.

Bluedog
12-03-2010, 03:09 PM

Is Coach K a Duke fan? He consistently says he wants UNC and all ACC teams to do as well as possible out of conference. I guess he's not a "fan" but he certainly has Duke's well-being at the forefront in his mind.

Normally, this would be a no brainer for me. Rooting for KY all the way (like I did last year). However, this year with the ACC being so down, it's almost pathetic and sad that I want Duke to have some quality wins in conference. I guess it won't matter much if we dominate anyways. Is the only top-25 non-Duke ACC win (according to AP ranking), UVa over Minnesota? I'm probably missing something else, but overall it's been quite miserable. I think a UNC win could somewhat help the ACC's position...Having said all that, I really can't bring myself to "cheer" for UNC. So, I'll be hoping Kentucky wins and that UNC doesn't make the NCAA tournament yet again. But a meteor strike would be ideal.

UrinalCake
12-03-2010, 03:11 PM
On the one hand, Kentucky is the better team and has more of a chance to actually do something this year, so I should want them to lose. On the other hand, they have so much bad karma that I'm already convinced they'll never win it all. Ultimately I'll pull for a narrow UK victory in an ugly game with lots of turnovers and horrendous shooting. They're the favored team, but a win like this won't help them very much, especially if UNC goes into the tank by the end of the year. Then UNC will have to live with the fact that UK played poorly and still beat them, thus they missed a golden opportunity.

Jderf
12-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't think I've ever wanted UNC to win as badly as I do now, for the same reason I want a person who is kicking a puppy to stop kicking the puppy. I hate UNC, I really do. Born a Duke fan and all that. But please don't make me watch more of this. It's just pathetic.

The fact that the game is out of conference (and against UK) doesn't hurt either.

timmy c
12-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I’m fascinated by the Jones (UK) vs. Henson(UNC) match-up. Should I turn in my Duke Fan card?

mph
12-03-2010, 03:26 PM

I doubt anyone who's posted in this thread will be cheering for either team. The real question is which loss gives you more satisfaction. As much pleasure as I take in the suffering of the heels, I'll take more satisfaction in the loss of one of college basketball's biggest cheaters. I would have felt the same way with Tarkanian and UNLV in the late 80's/early 90s. I'll admit that SCMatt's very good post regarding the specific context of the game gives me pause, but I'll still take the UK loss by a hair.

Orange&BlackSheep
12-03-2010, 03:29 PM

I would definitely root for Maryland. There is no second choice.

Bluedog
12-03-2010, 03:31 PM

I agree. I actually like Maryland's team and coach typically. It's just their fanbase that is a bit ... hard to handle. But I don't live there, so it's not that big of a deal for me.

superdave
12-03-2010, 03:33 PM

Agreed. I've got no problem cheering for Maryland. If they ever beat us in a Final Four or if somehow that rivalry superceded the Unc one, then I'd reconsider. Dont see either scenario happening.

superdave
12-03-2010, 03:35 PM
I’m fascinated by the Jones (UK) vs. Henson(UNC) match-up. Should I turn in my Duke Fan card?

As long as you watch it from the same perspective as watching a snake (Calipari) devour a goat (Carolina) on Animal Planet you are ok! no sympathy for the goat though...it's the circle of life.

Perhaps I've just had too many interactions with Carolina fans to ever feel anything but hatred for them.

tylervinyard
12-03-2010, 03:43 PM
How bout Terrence Jones humiliates Black Falcon on national TV and Ol' Roy cries and throws his team under the bus and blames the loss on Calipari's cheating and says, "You know, Ol' Roy wasn't planning on doing this, but no cheater is going to embarrass my team" while pulling out documents and taped conversations during the press conference that prove without a shadow of a doubt that Cal has been cheating from day one. John Chaney TelePresences into the press conference and says he wishes he was there to strangle Cal. Taiwan News then creates their latest cartoon with Chaney crawling out of a well, stepping through the television, reaching for Cal, who is already white with fear from watching Ol' Roy uncover mountains of evidence burying him for all eternity from ever coaching again.

Duvall
12-03-2010, 03:59 PM
I don't think I've ever wanted UNC to win as badly as I do now, for the same reason I want a person who is kicking a puppy to stop kicking the puppy. I hate UNC, I really do. Born a Duke fan and all that. But please don't make me watch more of this. It's just pathetic.

Except that in this case the puppy is PURE EVIL, and would destroy everything you care if given half a chance. The kicking must continue.

Turtleboy
12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Just like Vick's comeback has somehow made dogfighting 'ok' since he was just let back into professional sports a convicted felon and is now playing well.Dog fighting is OK now? I am stunned to hear this. I am pretty much involved in the dog world, including owning a Pit Bull and a Rottweiller, and I had not heard one thing about this. Can you elaborate?

CEF1959
12-03-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm rooting for a zero-zero quadruple overtime tie, called when each team's last player has fouled out.

As others have said, ABC. I'll hold my nose though, watching a subdued crowd of baby blue depression. Then I'll hold my Duke blue head in shame at having just wished something good to happen to that sleazy cheater Calimari.

Did I just insult a squid?! I didn't mean to do that.

CameronBlue
12-03-2010, 04:13 PM
KY demonstrated its utter contempt for public education when it allocated state funds for this http://creationmuseum.org/whats-here/exhibits/#dinosaur-den root for the state's flagship university?? Uh, no. It's a wretched expression but just this once..."Go Heels."

(So humans domesticated the dinosaurs? Neat-o, let's put us on a rodeo, Yee-ha!)

Johnboy
12-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I thought this thread might be about sheep barbecue.

Indoor66
12-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Post of the Day. LOL

Reddevil
12-03-2010, 04:34 PM
This is simple for me. Duke will have the opportunity to beat unc twice. I get to potentially (depending on the draw) see them beat Ky too if they make the NCAA's.

Oh, and as for the unc, con, ky, MD FF scenario, that's easy - win Gary win. As stated before - it's some of their fans that stink.

UrinalCake
12-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I don't think I've ever wanted UNC to win as badly as I do now, for the same reason I want a person who is kicking a puppy to stop kicking the puppy.

What if the puppy is Cerberus, standing guard at the gates of hell?

bigj4194
12-03-2010, 04:41 PM
it's been a while posting for me...but I thought I would jump in here as there is no better time than now to start posting again.

For the UNC/UK game, I really don't know who I am going to be rooting for. I have trouble bringing myself to root for UNC with the mere fact that it is UNC and its Roy Williams coaching, but at another level, Roy doesn't cheat, he's just a bad in-game coach but a good recruiter. Calapari on the otherhand is a dirty cheater and I can't wait until the NCAA finally punishes him instead of the school. So, I guess I will be pulling for UNC as I am more interested in seeing if UNC can actually pull together their "talent" or if they will live up to my expectations of failing to communicate and bond as a team.

moonpie23
12-03-2010, 04:53 PM
i implore you.....don't pull for unc....just don't pull for either team........

I don't want the tarholes to have some magical "season turning" game that gives them one OUNCE of inspiration or confidence...

let them wallow in the skype .......forever...

CLW
12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Where was the root for a bench clearing brawl which results in both teams forfeiting the game option?

BD80
12-03-2010, 05:23 PM

How did the characters get out of the nightmares (dreams) in Inception?

I don't think I've ever wanted UNC to win as badly as I do now, for the same reason I want a person who is kicking a puppy to stop kicking the puppy. I hate UNC, I really do. Born a Duke fan and all that. But please don't make me watch more of this. It's just pathetic. ...

No puppy can be despicable enough to warrant this metaphor. Even Cujo deserves some mercy. tar heels do not. Let the kicking continue.

It will be.

... the root for a bench clearing brawl which results in both teams forfeiting the game option?

Like the tar heels have any fight in them :rolleyes:

It would be amusing to see Henson involved in a fight, having him grab onto somebody's arm to stop a punch and being carried through the air.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I just hope Dickie V calls the game, so he can keep reminding their fans that K is going to pass both Rupp and Deano within a month's time.

Oh, and he can tell the tarheel faithful that Kyrie is the best freshman in the country.

Yeah, that's all what I'm rooting for.

Channing
12-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I am actually rooting for UK. UK is going to make the tournament - that is pretty much a done deal. UNC, on the other hand, isnt so certain. If they lose tomorrow and lose to UT they will have zero good wins so far. With the ACC being so down, they may need to go 9-7 or 10-6 in conference just to get a bid. I would LOVE to see them miss the tourney this year ... again.

HateCarolina
12-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Is this supposed to be a rhetorical poll? (note my username)

RoyalBlue08
12-03-2010, 06:37 PM
I voted UNC. In normal seasons, i would root for Kentucky, but when you consider how much I dislike Coach Cal and the fact that a loss would hurt Kentucky more than UNC (whom can't get all that much lower); I have made an exception for this game.

hudlow
12-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Not rooting for Kentucky...just rooting for Carolina to lose.

hud

davekay1971
12-03-2010, 08:05 PM
I want KY-Jelly to beat them down brutally for two reasons. One, it will utterly demoralize the Heels, destroy their confidence, lead ol roy into another tirade against his own players, and cause misery to the Heel fans. It will also lead to typical KY hype, which will lead to an overly enthusiastic KY fan base, which will then make it that much more enjoyable to crush their hopes and dreams in the Elite Eight when they are our 2 seed.

Greg_Newton
12-03-2010, 08:30 PM
UK or UNC? Hell, I registered for bigbluenation.com, called into KSR, bought a Terrance Jones jersey, and am currently sporting UK facepaint and matching foam finger.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

diveonthefloor
12-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Living in Memphis for the past decade, and have seen Calipari and his antics up close and personal.
Scum of the earth.

Nuff said.

jv001
12-03-2010, 10:29 PM
was this is a win-win situation as I don't like either one of these two teams. Then I realized it's really a lose-lose situation because one of them will win(no ties in bb). I told my wife tonight that I'm not going to delight in unc losses this year as I usually do. She said you're lying. She knows me better than I know myself. So I hope Kentucky wins and they win by 40 points. Go Duke!

elvis14
12-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't understand the poll :confused: It's completely nonsensical. There are one too many choices.

Team X is playing UNC, therefore you want team X to win. X can equal UK, KU, UConn, UMd, Al Quida, Lucifer and his minions, St. Patricks school for the blind and deaf, Chaminade, The Taliban all stars, LeBron James' decision, etc. etc 9F

-jk
12-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Oops. Someone forgot to add the third option...

(Hell, if I have to police this place...)

;)

-jk

roywhite
12-03-2010, 11:10 PM
No, rooting for a meteor strike on the building is a good alternative. (post #7 in the thread)

Oops. Someone forgot to add the third option...

(Hell, if I have to police this place...)

;)

-jk

meteor was my first choice, UK my second choice

juise
12-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Awwww.... I want my vote back.

That meteor is so hot right now.
It's really been gaining momentum.
Someday it'll be a star.

SuperTurkey
12-03-2010, 11:18 PM
(post #7 in the thread)

meteor was my first choice, UK my second choice

Glad I held out for a meteor, but I still think my sinkhole idea was better. That way UK could join Carolina in hell.

gam7
12-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Study? ... oh god.

I went to the '97 Final Four, which included UNC and Kentucky. Arizona beat both of them, which worked out quite nicely.

MarkD83
12-04-2010, 05:20 AM
The natural disaster option is a viable option.

The day before KY played UConn in Maui there was an earthquake in Hawaii.

So...anyone in Chapel Hill this weekend might be well advised to head over to Durham for the day.

CLW
12-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Semi-related (didn't feel it deserved its own thread). Kyle commented on last season's Kentucky squad in an article.

Singler and Smith both maintain there is no jealousy with the new kid (Kyrie) coming in and stealing the limelight, but Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski and the rest of the staff will have to guard against human nature – which means his two seniors worrying about getting theirs and how it directly correlates to their NBA stock.

"That’s what happened to Kentucky and what hurt those guys last year,” Singler said. "Thinking about the NBA. I don’t think that will be a problem for us. We understand that any of us – Kyrie, Nolan or me – can go for 30 points in a game.”

Feels good to have leaders that are completely committed to the team first and their individual accomplishments 2nd v. Cal's One and Done squads.

hurleyfor3
12-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Four reasons to root for Kentucky:

1. Always root against unc all the time, everywhere, without exception.

2. The better ky does during the regular season, the more apoplectic their fans get when they lose in the tournament. Ky beating unc helps accomplish this. (This seems more true with ky fans than with unc fans.)

3. Ky and unc have this stupid contest no one else cares about regarding all-time wins as a program. Unc winning gets them that much closer to passing ky. (Assuming ky is still first. I have no idea who is in the lead, don't care, and don't need to be told.)

4. If ky wins it'll probably get vacated later anyway. Then neither team wins!

Go Wildcats.

Cockabeau
12-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Looks like Unc target big man Baru is going to College of Charleston....

and the hits just keep on coming for the Huckleberry hound...

But seriously this one is easy...I hope to see a UK blow out, a shot of Prince Harry pouting on the sidelines and a nice quote or two from the spectacle that is Huckleberry Roy.

MarkD83
12-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Someone calls UK and lets them know that the NCAA has reinstated Kanter for the UNC game.

The NCAA then rules next week that Kanter was ineligible and the game is a forfeit after UNC loses.

Devilsfan
12-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Kentucky, but not by more than fifty. I don't want to see Ol Roy have a breakdown on national TV.

HateCarolina
12-04-2010, 09:48 AM
I am very distraught to see 22 confused souls rooting for a Carolina win. I suggest that each of you commit some self flagellation and come back an beg to have your entry changed to the meteor option. I can't stand Kentucky, but no matter what I would never, ever, ever root for Carolina...my dad raised me better than that....

Go Duke and GTH Carolina...

weezie
12-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Kentucky, but not by more than fifty. I don't want to see Ol Roy have a breakdown on national TV.

I do! Make it by 60.

Cockabeau
12-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Another reason to root for a UK win is the ensuing IC meltdown which is always good for a little cheap entertainment

calvindog
12-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Anyone who would root for the holes over anyone need to get their heads examined. I'm not sure I'd root for the holes in a game against the Taliban.

moonpie23
12-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Anyone who would root for the holes over anyone need to get their heads examined. I'm not sure I'd root for the holes in a game against the Taliban.

as someone said, "i'd learn arabic and sit behind bin laden's bench wearing a turban"

HateCarolina
12-04-2010, 12:42 PM
as someone said, "i'd learn arabic and sit behind bin laden's bench wearing a turban"

Funniest thing I have read in a long time on here....AWESOME!!

prefan21
12-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Before the game, I thought I wanted Kentucky to lose to UNC. I can't stand the lack of respect for the student-athlete aspect of college basketball that Kentucky embodies.

But then I turned on the game. Took one look to remind me how much I loathe UNC, the color of their uniforms, the wine and cheese crowd, and nearly everyone who's ever put on a Carolina uniform.

Go Wildcats.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Before the game, I thought I wanted Kentucky to lose to UNC. I can't stand the lack of respect for the student-athlete aspect of college basketball that Kentucky embodies.

But then I turned on the game. Took one look to remind me how much I loathe UNC, the color of their uniforms, the wine and cheese crowd, and nearly everyone who's ever put on a Carolina uniform.

Go Wildcats.

Im the same way, I thought I wanted UNC (mainly for the ACC's sake) and when I turned on the game, I almost threw up seeing all that Carolina blue and thinking I could root for that. Ugh Im disgusted.

Way to weather the storm Cats! Go into the half with a 2 pt lead. I'll take it.

duke09hms
12-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Harrison with 12 pts, 3 rebs in the 1st half on 4-5 shooting.

Looks like he might have figured it out unfortunately . . .

It feels so strange to root for Kentucky

1 24 90
12-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Carolina may be losing at the half but at least they didn't use a timeout in the first half. Even the use it or lose it one. I have to say Go Wildcats!

roywhite
12-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Im the same way, I thought I wanted UNC (mainly for the ACC's sake) and when I turned on the game, I almost threw up seeing all that Carolina blue and thinking I could root for that. Ugh Im disgusted.

Way to weather the storm Cats! Go into the half with a 2 pt lead. I'll take it.

The Heels are into it! The crowd is into it! They're playing great!

Down by 2 at the half---how did that happen?;)

tylervinyard
12-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Anyone else love how it was all Duke when CBS started their broadcast? First the missed shot last year, then the made shot against Kentucky in 92, then back to the missed shot again (for all the ADD and ADHD people out there). There was probably even more than that, but I overlooked it basking in the glow of the championship once again. UNC & UK fans had to love that.

SmartDevil
12-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Who to root for? Dislike Roy even more than slippery Calimari. Dislike the Kentucky fanbase even more than the awful UNC fanbase.'

Tiebreaker: as the game is at UNC, UNC winning would invigorate the UNC fanbase considerably. On the other hand, a loss will continue to inflame their criticism of Ol' Roy.....which he deserves and which will hurt his recruiting....and which many in the Duke community will enjoy. So, as difficult as it is to say, Go Wildcats !

ChicagoCrazy84
12-04-2010, 01:44 PM
The Heels are into it! The crowd is into it! They're playing great!

Down by 2 at the half---how did that happen?;)

You would think they were up by 10 going into the half! The Dean Dome hadn't been rocking that hard since last year when they almost beat College of Charleston! :D

No 3pt shooting. The great equalizer! Keep underachieving Drew, Bullock, McDonald, Strickland, and co.

Cameron
12-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Watching Henson prance about the court with that duplicitous smile ala NIT Will Graves last year against Georgia Tech before Graves realized he was NIT Will Graves is really actually pretty rewarding. All the better when UNC implodes about 50 minutes from now. Heading into our game today against Butler at 4-4 will be such an accomplished feeling.

To add to the symbolic example popular above, I'd not only learn Arabic and sit behind the Tar Heel bench in a cotton man's headdress, I'd allow the Taliban to publicly flog me in the street before I cheered on Carolina. There is nothing -- aside from cancer and other deadly infectious disease -- I vicariously hate more.

This is the one day a year that I am a Kentucky Wildcat. But only until 3:15.

camion
12-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I have a real problem watching this game. It looks like one or the other of them is going to win.

Bummer.:(

SuperTurkey
12-04-2010, 02:00 PM
You would think they were up by 10 going into the half! The Dean Dome hadn't been rocking that hard since last year when they almost beat College of Charleston! :D

That game was in Charleston.

LSanders
12-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Someone calls UK and lets them know that the NCAA has reinstated Kanter for the UNC game.

The NCAA then rules next week that Kanter was ineligible and the game is a forfeit after UNC loses.

LOL ... Great 2nd option!

The meteor is still #1, however.

Orange&BlackSheep
12-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Harrison with 12 pts, 3 rebs in the 1st half on 4-5 shooting.

Looks like he might have figured it out unfortunately . . .

It feels so strange to root for Kentucky

Barnes with no more points. Apparently he forgot what he learned at halftime.

And KY is winning hitting 36% of their shots from the floor ...

UPdate .... 5:00 to go and HB has not scored and is 0-4 this half.

MarkD83
12-04-2010, 02:34 PM
The boxscore shows KY has played 7 players; one has fouled out and 2 have 4 fouls. I wonder if they could end the game with 4 players on the court and still win.

nmduke2001
12-04-2010, 02:35 PM
will the whine and cheese crowd rush the court if they win?

CDu
12-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Jones has had a terrible game for UK. He just fouled out, and prior to that he was taking some very ill-advised shots against Henson in the second half. UNC now up with 3 minutes to go.

It's counterintuitive, but maybe Jones fouling out will be just what UK needs - it'll keep the ball in the hands of Lamb and Knight.

CDu
12-04-2010, 02:37 PM
will the whine and cheese crowd rush the court if they win?

Well, the students will. The old folks? not so much.

kong123
12-04-2010, 02:39 PM
get that Harrison Barnes out of the game

jv001
12-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Foul henson, not zeller.

dairedevil
12-04-2010, 02:40 PM
This is one plug-ugly game. I turned it on with about 7 minutes to go...don't think I've seen either team score anything but free throws. Bad shots, bad defense..missed free throws are the difference in the score since I've been watching.

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Dumb foul!

jv001
12-04-2010, 02:41 PM
we got Kyrie and not Knight. Go Duke!

lotusland
12-04-2010, 02:42 PM
This is one plug-ugly game. I turned it on with about 7 minutes to go...don't think I've seen either team score anything but free throws. Bad shots, bad defense..missed free throws are the difference in the score since I've been watching.

It's a thing of beauty to my eyes;)

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 02:45 PM
This is not beautiful. They may both be looking bad, but we only have to play one of them. I would rather Kentucky win.

jv001
12-04-2010, 02:46 PM
The refs just thought Vargas was Miles. This game shows how good an in-game coach Cal is. Their offense looks like a Chinese Fire drill.

jv001
12-04-2010, 02:48 PM
does ole roy put henson in so he can get fouled?

MarkD83
12-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Zeller certainly looks solid for UNC.

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree with the bad coach thing. Cal just gets talented guys, puts them out there, and calls timeouts from time to time to yell that they are not doing good from time to time.

dairedevil
12-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Now that carolina has pulled ahead, the announcers are saying that this victory is all that roy ne!eds to put the them back on track...it could change the whole direction of their season.....give me a break! Give them some confidence, well, maybe, but it's not like they are dominating, or or playing away or on a neutral court. They are at home. Isn't that an automatic 10 point advantage?

juise
12-04-2010, 02:50 PM
The refs just thought Vargas was Miles. This game shows how good an in-game coach Cal is. Their offense looks like a Chinese Fire drill.

It's the innovative dribble-drive offense. It showcases his players' ability to make bad decisions and take bad shots. That's what the NBA wants to see.

FerryFor50
12-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Now that carolina has pulled ahead, the announcers are saying that this victory is all that roy ne!eds to put the them back on track...it could change the whole direction of their season.....give me a break! Give them some confidence, well, maybe, but it's not like they are dominating, or or playing away or on a neutral court. They are at home. Isn't that an automatic 10 point advantage?

In free throws alone, yes

Orange&BlackSheep
12-04-2010, 02:54 PM
It's the innovative dribble-drive offense. It showcases his players' ability to make bad decisions and take bad shots. That's what the NBA wants to see.

Don't you taste bile in your mouth every time you hear about the "dribble drive" offense?

It's over ... I still say that if the Heels are going to win, let it be against Calipari. I am not advocating happiness about this. Simply that pre-game, if you knew they were going to win one game for the remainder of the season, this is the one. Let the losing begin.

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Anybody else sick about this one?

HateCarolina
12-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I guess I'll be sick to my stomach for the next 20 minutes until we play.

Jderf
12-04-2010, 02:56 PM
One overrated team has already been exposed, then they expose another overrated team. I'm not complaining.

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Kentucky had better drop out of the rankings. They need to be punished for losing this one. They never looked decent through the entire game. Bad news is that Shabazz Muhammed was in the stands for this one. Hopefully he was disgusted by both of them.

Wait, they just said, "A very well coached game on both sides." Are they drunk?

jv001
12-04-2010, 02:57 PM

If it excites Cal more to get guys into the NBA than win championships, he's going to be very unhappy this year. Not going to do either. Go Duke!

gewwang
12-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Calipari's on the phone right now demanding his money back from all the agents and runners that put this team together.

The last shot looked alot like Butler's last shot in the championship game.

jipops
12-04-2010, 02:59 PM
So this will beg the question, is UNC back?

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 03:01 PM
IMO, no. This just proves that Kentucky was never really there. UConn dismantled them, and now this UNC team beats them in a game where they both looked terrible. UNC still bites to me. The good news is that Zeller and Henson are almost certainly gone next year. They are ready.

uh_no
12-04-2010, 03:05 PM
IMO, no. This just proves that Kentucky was never really there. UConn dismantled them, and now this UNC team beats them in a game where they both looked terrible. UNC still bites to me. The good news is that Zeller and Henson are almost certainly gone next year. They are ready.

this is the exact reason i was hoping UNC would win.....we're pretty confident that their season is going up in flames, and not the UK fans have to eat their words after losing to TWO unranked teams in the past 2 weeks (given uconn is now ranked....)

KShip21
12-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I know it was last year, and each team is different, but remember, they beat Ohio State and Michigan State early and were 6-1 at this point. Then we all know what happened from there.

Saratoga2
12-04-2010, 03:07 PM
The decision was whether I wanted UNC or Kentucky to get the win. In a way, I wanted Kentucky to go down as they were a ranked team. The guy that had a very good game was Tyler Zellar. He is a 7 footer with increased strength and a decent overall game. I expect him to go pro next year if the lockout doesn't interfere. I still don't see Henson as ready for the pros.

We will get at least two chances to play UNC, so will have a lot of opportunities to match up or they to us.

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 03:08 PM
The conference is down this year. This is why I really want the non-conference to crush them. I want them to miss the tournament again, and this win may help them when selection season comes around. We have to play UNC every year, so it is disappointing to see them have ANY level of success.

weezie
12-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Ahahahaaaah! Good one.

ky @ holes = paint drying.

Actually, that's not fair to paint drying.

I wish I had voted for the meteor.

CampbellBlueDevil
12-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Kentucky's interior is horrid... and that's UNC's strong point. So this game was a good match up for UNC and they squeaked out the win on 15-18 free throws and 2 lay ups the last 11 minutes.

Eloy Vargas: 9 min. 5 personal fouls

HAHAHA

AlaskanAssassin
12-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Is Josh Harrelson wearing #55 because of Zoubek? Jon Hood said, he wears #4 because JJ was his favorite player. I wonder if UK forced Harrelson to wear that number so he could transform into zoubs!

tylervinyard
12-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Kentucky's interior is horrid... and that's UNC's strong point. So this game was a good match up for UNC and they squeaked out the win on 15-18 free throws and 2 lay ups the last 11 minutes.

Eloy Vargas: 9 min. 5 personal fouls

HAHAHA

I think this is the biggest reason why it was a close game and why UNC pulled it out. Bad matchup. UK is very thin. They really missed Kanter today. Even with Kanter, they would still be pretty thin. Jones, who's been a superstar for them so far, couldn't really get on track with Zeller and Henson blocking every shot he put up. If UK had a decent low post presence Jones probably would have had a great game playing on the wing being guarded by Barnes. Oh, and did anyone notice in the second half when UK started initiating their offense so far away from the basket and waiting till very late in the shot clock? That was a stupid decision. Took them away from being agressive and gave them less time to run their offense. Of course their offense is just: get out of the way and let me dribble-drive right into the heart of the defense so I can get my shot blocked. Which won't work when you're funneling your offense right into one of the only strengths UNC has.

If I absolutely had to choose one UNC player that I wouldn't mind playing for Duke, it would probably be Zeller. He's just solid and he can hit his free throws and he doesn't seem to play with unnecessary flash like just about the rest of their team. Anyone notice near the end of the game, when Carolina should have been feeding him the ball over and over, they acted like he was invisible? Wonder if that was just Carolina having terrible instincts for feeding the mismatch or does Zeller just not fit in with UNC's style-over-substance culture? Maybe this is the biggest reason his brother decided against coming to UNC. He wouldn't have fit in with the kind of players Ol' Roy has been recruiting. Zeller's their most important player. He probably should have had 40 today.

This was the first game I've really watched all the way through for UNC, and I now fully understand what everyone's talking about with Barnes taking bad shots. What the hell? He just seems to make it so much harder on himself. Is it because of the way Carolina's offense is structured? Wing players don't have many opportunities for good shots, because their offense is all about strong point guards and post players?

hudlow
12-04-2010, 07:47 PM
In free throws alone, yes

IMHO, the key to the win...

hud

Namtilal
12-04-2010, 08:42 PM
The Rivalry Drinking Game:

Carolina fans drink when Henson misses a free throw. Duke fans drink when Mason misses one. Airball = finish your drink.

Um, then we dye their hair royal blue when they pass out. Damn, Henson is bad. Airballs by big men aren't all that uncommon, but back-to-back when he was shooting 2 -- that is ugly. His next trip to the line, he almost hit the backboard because he sure wasn't going to airball three in a row! (It was a miss.)

quota
12-04-2010, 11:17 PM

I'm with Gary Parrish (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14391715/best-thing-about-uncs-win-over-uk-its-not-a-loss) on this one:

Sometimes wins are great wins because you played brilliantly. Or because you topped a marquee opponent. Or because you came from behind late, executed down the stretch, stole one that seemed lost, whatever. There are lots of things that factor in. That's my point. And then there are wins that are great simply because they're wins that allowed you to avoid a complete and total meltdown, and that's the kind of great win North Carolina recorded over Kentucky here at the Dean Smith Center.

It wasn't pretty.

It wasn't all that convincing.

But it wasn't a loss, either, and that's really all that matters

davekay1971
12-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Both teams looked unimpressive, frankly. PG play is going to be UNC's achilles heel all year. UNC did, however, have some positives to take away.

1) Zeller, clearly the best player on the team, and turning into a potential star. Especially if the refs continue to confuse him with that other Tyler, because, uh, he got the benefit of the doubt on a call or two. In all seriousness, though, now that he's staying healthy, he's pretty good.

2) Henson playing with much more aggressiveness.

3) HB, at least for the first half. He disappeared the second half, though.

4) They didn't fold down the stretch, unlike pretty much every close game last year.

Let's see how they do against Texas. Yesterday, they didn't look remotely like a great team...but they looked like an NCAA tournament team.

MChambers
12-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Both teams looked unimpressive, frankly. PG play is going to be UNC's achilles heel all year. UNC did, however, have some positives to take away.

1) Zeller, clearly the best player on the team, and turning into a potential star. Especially if the refs continue to confuse him with that other Tyler, because, uh, he got the benefit of the doubt on a call or two. In all seriousness, though, now that he's staying healthy, he's pretty good.

2) Henson playing with much more aggressiveness.

3) HB, at least for the first half. He disappeared the second half, though.

4) They didn't fold down the stretch, unlike pretty much every close game last year.

Let's see how they do against Texas. Yesterday, they didn't look remotely like a great team...but they looked like an NCAA tournament team.
Boy, do I agree with your points.

I only watched the last 4 minutes, because I had far better things to do, but it was obvious that UNC hasn't fixed the big issues from last year. PG is still a major concern and it's very hard to see how that situation improves significantly.

When I was watching, Barnes seemed to want no part of the ball, on either end. (And that's despite his good free throw shooting this year.)

roywhite
12-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Boy, do I agree with your points.

I only watched the last 4 minutes, because I had far better things to do, but it was obvious that UNC hasn't fixed the big issues from last year. PG is still a major concern and it's very hard to see how that situation improves significantly.

When I was watching, Barnes seemed to want no part of the ball, on either end. (And that's despite his good free throw shooting this year.)

If you haven't already, I encourage you to read the ACC Roundup from the front page Headlines of DBR today. They talk for several paragraphs about Barnes....looks detached, not having fun, not playing hard for periods of time, no visible chemistry with teammates, etc.

MChambers
12-05-2010, 12:00 PM
If you haven't already, I encourage you to read the ACC Roundup from the front page Headlines of DBR today. They talk for several paragraphs about Barnes....looks detached, not having fun, not playing hard for periods of time, no visible chemistry with teammates, etc.
I had read that, and was interested that it was consistent with what I saw. I don't know about chemistry, defense, or effort, but he seemed to lack confidence.

Drew also seemed to lack confidence. At one he ended up with the ball on the perimeter against whatever immobile Kentucky big man was in the game (Harrelson or Vargas), started to drive and had a fairly open path to the basket, but pulled it back out and passed it. The contrast with our backcourt was striking. Of course, given the shooting percentages of UNC's perimeter players, I can understand a lack of confidence. It seems to be well-founded.

BTW, before we figured out who Harrelson was, we (my kids and I) thought he looked like one of those big Eastern European recruits you sometimes see, like Kilicli from WVa.

MCFinARL
12-05-2010, 12:36 PM
When Carolina tied the score with a little over 3 minutes to play in the game, the fans began singing "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye." Really?

I never imagined even UNC arrogance could be that extreme.

hurleyfor3
12-05-2010, 12:43 PM
When Carolina tied the score with a little over 3 minutes to play in the game, the fans began singing "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye." Really?

I never imagined even UNC arrogance could be that extreme.

I think that's their foul-out cheer, actually, as I heard it every time a Kentucky player fouled out. Still, pretty unoriginal.

moonpie23
12-05-2010, 12:47 PM
i think all of you that wanted the holes to win this game will regret it.........this could be the game that turned their season around......

i can't for the life of me imagine ANY scenario where carolina winning is good.......and for those of you that think up one where it helps duke, i'd just say, thanks, but not thanks....let our team take care of their own good fortune...

ugh.....

Deslok
12-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I can't imagine any circumstance where Kentucky winning is good. So in this particular case, UNC winning wasn't good, but UNC losing is less good than UK losing(and yes, I'm aware that a UNC loss would have greater psychological impact on the Heels than the Wildcats losing will have). I can at least have a certain respect for the Heels despite loathing them in the general sense. The same can't be said of Kentucky.

Oh, and just something I ran across on an odd board about one fans lament about UNC's guard play: "drew makes me yearn for the adam boone era" I definitely lolled on that one.

MCFinARL
12-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I think that's their foul-out cheer, actually, as I heard it every time a Kentucky player fouled out. Still, pretty unoriginal.

Oh, thanks. That makes sense. Not as much fun to consider them unoriginal as to consider them unbelievably arrogant, but fair is fair.

DukeFaninCT
12-05-2010, 11:41 PM
...i can't for the life of me imagine ANY scenario where carolina winning is good...

The negative Caroline sentiments expressed in this and many other threads, I believe, is misplaced. Our team is measured by the quality of our competition and especially the quality of our conference and our primary rival. Our competition over the past decades against an often very good Carolina team, without a doubt, has contributed to the quality of our program and to the best rivalry in college basketball. Therefore, although I can recite GTHCGTH with the best, I always root (a) for ACC versus non-ACC and (b) for Carolina versus other (non-Duke) opponents. Seriously.

Gewebe14
12-06-2010, 12:18 PM
The negative Caroline sentiments expressed in this and many other threads, I believe, is misplaced. Our team is measured by the quality of our competition and especially the quality of our conference and our primary rival. Our competition over the past decades against an often very good Carolina team, without a doubt, has contributed to the quality of our program and to the best rivalry in college basketball. Therefore, although I can recite GTHCGTH with the best, I always root (a) for ACC versus non-ACC and (b) for Carolina versus other (non-Duke) opponents. Seriously.

I understand where you are coming from, however when living in NC (I presume you don't given your handle) it is unbearably difficult to ever root for them to do anything but lose by 50. At least that's how I feel...

phaedrus
12-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I understand where you are coming from, however when living in NC (I presume you don't given your handle) it is unbearably difficult to ever root for them to do anything but lose by 50. At least that's how I feel...

Exactly right. The main difference between those who wish Carolina to lose every single game and those who think a successful Carolina is "good for the rivalry" is that the latter group generally doesn't have to put up with Carolina fans with regularity.

devildeac
12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately, this is arriving just a few days late:

What should be the best meteor shower of 2010 will occur beginning on the evening of Monday, Dec. 13.

Like most meteor showers, the Geminids will be at their best after midnight (early on the morning of Dec. 14), when the Earth is heading directly into the meteoroid stream. But some will be visible earlier in the night, on the evening of Dec. 13, because the meteors radiant —where they appear to originate — is nearly circumpolar, so they will stay in view above the horizon all night.

:mad:

gewwang
12-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Agree 100%. For some of us that grew up in a Duke family during the Bill Foster and early Coach K years when everyone you saw at school, the mall, etc. were Carolina fans as they were going thru the Ford, Wood, Worthy, Perkins, Jordan, Daugherty dominant years (though with all that talent only one championship), the hatred was rooted earlier and more intensely.

moonpie23
12-06-2010, 01:20 PM
just have a look at IC.....before saturday's game, the mood was awful, despondent, reconciled to failure, and worst, singing duke's praises regarding the coaches, staff, fans and of course, the players.

immediately following the win over uk, they were "back" and duke's "slight victory" over butler has us "exposed" and "not so tough"...

ya just can't root for them........it's just wrong to wish them ANYTHING positive...

trust me.....if they beat texas, the natty will be the talk....

gam7
12-06-2010, 02:50 PM
In a yahoo Q&A with Harrison Barnes (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-barnes120610), I found it amusing that he says the biggest adjustment he's had to make is getting used to losing.

Q: You mention adversity. What kinds of things have you experienced lately? Is it just a matter of getting used to the spotlight?

A: “No, that’s been [an issue] ever since high school. Ever since I got ranked high, that external stuff has been going on. I’m used to it. The biggest adjustment is just adapting to losing. It’s not something you ever become accustomed to. Having that happen to me … I mean, we lost after our third game. In high school I didn’t lose for two years.”

roywhite
12-06-2010, 03:30 PM
In a yahoo Q&A with Harrison Barnes (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-barnes120610), I found it amusing that he says the biggest adjustment he's had to make is getting used to losing.

Q: You mention adversity. What kinds of things have you experienced lately? Is it just a matter of getting used to the spotlight?

A: “No, that’s been [an issue] ever since high school. Ever since I got ranked high, that external stuff has been going on. I’m used to it. The biggest adjustment is just adapting to losing. It’s not something you ever become accustomed to. Having that happen to me … I mean, we lost after our third game. In high school I didn’t lose for two years.”

Thanks for catching that.

I thought this was interesting also:

Q: Who do you reach out to when things are tough?

A: “Just my mom and sister. They’ve been with me since before all the attention was there, and they’re with me now. They’ve always been there for me. I just go to them. My mom is always positive – as long as I get rebounds (laughing). She notices a lot of things from having watched a lot of basketball. She’s able to keep me positive and keep me focused.”

Nothing wrong with maintaining a close relationship with family members, but I suspect more players in this situation would refer to their teammates and coach as being support figures.

jdj4duke
12-06-2010, 03:52 PM
A bit off topic, but this is an amusing jab at the Heels and especially their fans from Tim Brando; apparently has the Heel Nation up in arms of course. The discussion starts about the 12 minute mark in hour 2 but really gets going a minute or two later and he demolishes the Heel fans about the 14 minute mark.

http://wfnz.cbslocal.com/2010/12/03/primetime-tim-brando/

BD80
12-06-2010, 05:20 PM
A bit off topic, but this is an amusing jab at the Heels and especially their fans from Tim Brando; apparently has the Heel Nation up in arms of course. The discussion starts about the 12 minute mark in hour 2 but really gets going a minute or two later and he demolishes the Heel fans about the 14 minute mark.

http://wfnz.cbslocal.com/2010/12/03/primetime-tim-brando/

"When it comes to hyperbole and hero worship in basketball for individual players that have not done anything, north carolina's fan base is at the top of the list"

Brando also compares the tar heel hype surrounding HB to that which surrounded King Rice and JR Reid.

Ouch.

ncexnyc
12-06-2010, 07:40 PM
just have a look at IC.....before saturday's game, the mood was awful, despondent, reconciled to failure, and worst, singing duke's praises regarding the coaches, staff, fans and of course, the players.

immediately following the win over uk, they were "back" and duke's "slight victory" over butler has us "exposed" and "not so tough"...

ya just can't root for them........it's just wrong to wish them ANYTHING positive...

trust me.....if they beat texas, the natty will be the talk....
I got a laugh from the IC crowd today as well. Yes you're right, if they beat Texas, that win and the KY win will be 100 times better than us beating MSU and KState.

MChambers
12-06-2010, 08:06 PM
"When it comes to hyperbole and hero worship in basketball for individual players that have not done anything, north carolina's fan base is at the top of the list"

Brando also compares the tar heel hype surrounding HB to that which surrounded King Rice and JR Reid.

Ouch.

I think Barnes could be just as good as King Rice and J.R. Reid.

devildeac
12-08-2010, 09:00 AM
I was catching up on newspapers over the last couple days and noticed that unc was actually a 1.5 point favorite in this game as of Friday or Saturday. WTH?

CDu
12-08-2010, 10:19 AM
I was catching up on newspapers over the last couple days and noticed that unc was actually a 1.5 point favorite in this game as of Friday or Saturday. WTH?

I probably wouldn't have predicted UNC to be the favorite, either. But, it was a home game for UNC and UK is very inexperienced, pretty small, and lacking in depth. And all three of those issues appeared relevant in the actual game.

And also, betting lines aren't always a perfect predictor of the expected margin of victory, but rather reflective of what bettors are willing to make bets on.

Kdogg
12-08-2010, 11:47 AM

Ouch.

J.R. Reid was ACC rookie of the year. That's pretty much living up to the hype.

devildeac
12-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I probably wouldn't have predicted UNC to be the favorite, either. But, it was a home game for UNC and UK is very inexperienced, pretty small, and lacking in depth. And all three of those issues appeared relevant in the actual game.

And also, betting lines aren't always a perfect predictor of the expected margin of victory, but rather reflective of what bettors are willing to make bets on.

I knew that about the bettors and that ky was young/inexperienced, but, like you, was still surprised that unc was favored. Hope that doesn't "jump start" our pasty blue neighbors' season. Go Evansville.:D

oldnavy
12-08-2010, 12:51 PM
J.R. Reid was ACC rookie of the year. That's pretty much living up to the hype.

I think most UNC fans if asked and are honest would say JR Reid was a bit of a dissappointment.

roywhite
12-08-2010, 12:53 PM
I think Barnes could be just as good as King Rice and J.R. Reid.

Indeed; at his small forward position, he's one of the best they've had since Jason Capel.

oldnavy
12-08-2010, 12:58 PM
I knew that about the bettors and that ky was young/inexperienced, but, like you, was still surprised that unc was favored. Hope that doesn't "jump start" our pasty blue neighbors' season. Go Evansville.:D

It was an ugly game. A win is always a good thing IMO, but UK was pretty bad in that game. I will give credit to UNC's bigs, they really frustrated Jones and took him completely out of the game. UNC's perimeter defense is a little loose, and had UK been shooting a little better, well.. if, if, if....

UNC's game this year is a game of inches. Like a famous golfer once said... the five inches between the ears. If they can get their minds right and come together, they could have a decent enough year.

jimsumner
12-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I think most UNC fans if asked and are honest would say JR Reid was a bit of a dissappointment.

Reid had a very good freshman season, winning ACC ROY honors, while blending in with a senior-dominated team, Kenny Smith, Joe Wolf, David Popson, Curtis Hunter.

He was a monster in 1988, averaging 18 and 9 and challenging Danny Ferry for ACC POY. Made all the All-America teams. On merit.

But 1989 was a big letdown. There were hints of discipline and attitude issues, he missed some games with injuries and his stats dropped.

Rather than come back for his senior season and try to redeem himself, Reid declared for the NBA draft. Charlotte Hornets owner George Shinn, trying to tap-in to the Charlotte/UNC fanbase, overruled his basketball people and ordered them to select Reid with the fifth pick of the 1989 draft.

Reid actually had some decent seasons in the NBA, averaging around 11 ppg for his first three seasons at Charlotte.

But he never really fit in and was one of these guys who seemed to change teams every year or two.

Definitely a player of consequence at UNC. But for a consensus number-1 prep player, he left with a career long on what-might-have-been and short on production.

Not considered a UNC icon. And he could have been.

My thoughts on then Carolina-Kentucky game are below.

http://collegechalktalk.com/conferencenotebooks/acc/12.7.10sumner

MChambers
12-08-2010, 01:09 PM
My thoughts on then Carolina-Kentucky game are below.

http://collegechalktalk.com/conferencenotebooks/acc/12.7.10sumner

"John Henson looks like the world's tallest Kenyan marathoner. "

Nice one, Jim.

JasonEvans
12-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Are you kidding?

Reid was ACC ROY as a freshman with 14.7 ppg and 7.5 rpg. He was 2nd team All-ACC.
As a soph he scored 18 ppg and grabbed 8.9 rpg. He was a first team All-American and first team All-ACC.
As a junior he had some injury problems and averaged 15.9 ppg and 6.3 rpg. He still won ACC tournament MVP and made 3rd team All-ACC.

Plus, he had a once-in-a-generation butt. He could move a Mack truck out of the lane with that posterior.

He went on to a decent, but not spectacular NBA career that lasted 11 season.

Did he live up to all his potential? Maybe not quite but only because the expectations for him were ridiculously high. Still, he was a heck of a player and was the go-to guy on some excellent Carolina teams. From just a basketball standpoint, you'd be crazy not to want him on your team.

--Jason "that butt... wow... he and Chris Washburn had the best butts I've ever seen in the ACC" Evans

EDIT- Just saw that Sumner beat me to the punch and thinks less of Reid than I do. I would, of course, have to be on crack to argue with him about it. I was at Duke at the time so I recall feeling our team was almost powerless to stop him at times, so perhaps that colors my judgment. Reid was not an all-timer but was a darn good ballplayer.

Indoor66
12-08-2010, 01:22 PM
"John Henson looks like the world's tallest Kenyan marathoner. "

Nice one, Jim.

I also turned up my speaker 'cause I was sure I would hear Johnny Mathis singing "Maria".