PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill to Phoenix

thebur
06-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I think one of all of our favorite Dukies is Grant Hill, well rounded, multi-talented, polite, articulate, and a brilliant guy on many fronts. I was talking with a friend who grew up Duke with me (he has since attended Chapel Hell and become a turncoat) and watched and loved Grant. I sincerely hope that next year we see Grant on the NBA floors around the country, the question is with whom?

As DBR said, the Raptors are a team looking for some veteran leadership to get them a little farther along in the playoffs, and in Phoenix he could be a talented piece to the "everyone does everything well" offense that D'Antoni runs.

One place where I think he could work well is with the team that lost the finals last night. With Lebron, Grant would be a guy who can set him up, hit open shots, play good d, and provide some veteran leadership beyond the capabilites of one Eric Snow. If they could get Grant and a player like a Jamal Crawford or Stephon Marbury to add scoring, it could put them over the top.

JasonEvans
06-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Almost everything I have heard has Grant returning to the Pistons. DEtroit will likely undergo some major changes this off-season (bye bye to Billups and likely Rasheed) and they would probably like having a steadying veteran influence in the locker room. Plus, Grant still has strong ties to the community up there and I think his family wants him to go to Detroit.

-Jason "I'd love to see Grant get on a team where a championship was possible-- Detroit does that" Evans

thebur
06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Almost everything I have heard has Grant returning to the Pistons.

I think that would be a great way for him to have a shot next year as well. The Raptors are interesting with Chris Bosh and T.J. Ford really coming into their own, and I think Bargnani has a lot of potential as he showed late in the season.

It would be great to see Grant raise the trophy, and Detroit could pay him back for not getting him some of the best advice or not having him take time off after his initial ankle injury. A 2 year contract to the tune of 8-10M per could make things a little better.

JasonEvans
06-15-2007, 03:29 PM
I think that would be a great way for him to have a shot next year as well. The Raptors are interesting with Chris Bosh and T.J. Ford really coming into their own, and I think Bargnani has a lot of potential as he showed late in the season.

It would be great to see Grant raise the trophy, and Detroit could pay him back for not getting him some of the best advice or not having him take time off after his initial ankle injury. A 2 year contract to the tune of 8-10M per could make things a little better.

My bet is that Grant will not get anything close to that. Most teams will try to sign him for the veteran exception, which is around 4-5 million per year, I think. It is also possible he will give some team a discount if they are just the situation he wants and he would sign for about a million a year with them.

Frankly, I don't think the money means all that much to a guy who has made 124 million bucks in his career so far (plus probably another 40 million + in endorsement dollars).

-Jason "its good to be the Grant" Evans

VaDukie
06-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Almost everything I have heard has Grant returning to the Pistons. DEtroit will likely undergo some major changes this off-season (bye bye to Billups and likely Rasheed) and they would probably like having a steadying veteran influence in the locker room. Plus, Grant still has strong ties to the community up there and I think his family wants him to go to Detroit.

-Jason "I'd love to see Grant get on a team where a championship was possible-- Detroit does that" Evans

I don't think Detroit has any shot at the title if Billups and Sheed bolt; I'd personally like him to go to San Antonio.

BD80
06-15-2007, 09:05 PM
The Pistons just dumped their backup 3/2, Carlos Delfino, giving him to Toronto for 2nd round picks this year and next. Leaves a pretty big opening for Grant.

TexasBlueDevil
06-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Grant should contact the Spurs...or the Spurs should contact Grant. Especially since he wants to play for a contender and the Spurs are likely to be in it next season. And if I were the Spurs I'd try to trade up in the draft to get McBob too.

throatybeard
07-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Buster Olney was just on ESPN talking up Grant Hill to Phoenix. There had been some talk about Toronto, but they used their MLE on...Jason Kapono?

Clipsfan
07-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Buster Olney was just on ESPN talking up Grant Hill to Phoenix. There had been some talk about Toronto, but they used their MLE on...Jason Kapono?

I've never been a fan of Kapono (he was just too arrogant for my taste while at UCLA) but he did lead the league in 3 pt % last year. I know that it helped to have Wade and Shaq opening up the outside shot, but Toronto probably wants to spread the floor to help Bosh out.

Mcluhan
07-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I've never been a fan of Kapono (he was just too arrogant for my taste while at UCLA) but he did lead the league in 3 pt % last year. I know that it helped to have Wade and Shaq opening up the outside shot, but Toronto probably wants to spread the floor to help Bosh out.

He'll do what Morris Peterson has been doing for years. They're extremely similar.

Clipsfan
07-02-2007, 06:34 PM
He'll do what Morris Peterson has been doing for years. They're extremely similar.

I always thought that MoPete was better handling the ball than Kapono, who I've always just thought of as a catch and shoot player for the most part. I haven't really seen either guy play much recently, though (don't get many games from either team here on the West coast).

Mcluhan
07-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I always thought that MoPete was better handling the ball than Kapono, who I've always just thought of as a catch and shoot player for the most part. I haven't really seen either guy play much recently, though (don't get many games from either team here on the West coast).

I agree, MoPete is probably marginally more well-rounded, but in terms of defense and their primary offensive responsibilities, they're interchangeable.

Word is that MoPete sees himself as the last piece of Utah's puzzle. He may be right. If I were Utah I'd jump on it, especially since so few young black players in their twenties cite the Jazz as their first choice.

Who's Utah's starting 2 guard right now? I'm blanking on it.

Indoor66
07-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Why not JJ for Miami? they could sure use the 3 point shooting scoring and threat to free up Wade.

JasonEvans
07-02-2007, 11:06 PM
I agree, MoPete is probably marginally more well-rounded, but in terms of defense and their primary offensive responsibilities, they're interchangeable.

Word is that MoPete sees himself as the last piece of Utah's puzzle. He may be right. If I were Utah I'd jump on it, especially since so few young black players in their twenties cite the Jazz as their first choice.

You are blanking on it because Utah sorta does not have a 2-guard. They start Derek Fisher at 2-guard even though he is a PG. They also play Matt Harpring there a lot, though he is also more of a wing forward than 2-guard. The only real 2-guard who plays for them is Gordan Giricek-- I've never been very impressed with him though.

It is easy to see why a good 2-guard would see Utah as an ideal location. Boozer, Okur, and Williams are good at relocating the ball and all of them draw double-teams/collapsing defenses (well, Okur is more a big outside bomber, but gets the job done inside too). I could see Mo Pete really doing well in Utah. Of course, it bears mention that Mo Pete is much like Harping and is more a SF than a SG, but he can pop from the perimter. If he goes back to being the guy who scored in the mid-upper teens while hitting about 40% of his threes then he can be really valuable for Utah.

What has happened to AK47 last year? That is the real problem dogging the Jazz. It is like he signed his max deal (6 years, $86 million) and then played hard for a couple years so folks would forget about how much money he was making and then he just stopped trying last season. When a guy's shots attempted drop by 40% and his rebounds are cut in half and he is still in the prime of his career (he's only 26) you have to wonder how hard he is trying?

--Jason "AK 47 needs to be better-- that would be the leap the Jazz need to make" Evans

Dukerati
07-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Thought I'd give you all an update on this thread. Looks like Grant is going to Phoenix... I personally am ecstatic because I would love to see Grant get a ring.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/articles/0701boivinblog-CR.html

VaDukie
07-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Thought I'd give you all an update on this thread. Looks like Grant is going to Phoenix... I personally am ecstatic because I would love to see Grant get a ring.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/articles/0701boivinblog-CR.html

I hope this is true - would be a great move for Grant and the Suns.

Mcluhan
07-03-2007, 12:45 PM
What has happened to AK47 last year? That is the real problem dogging the Jazz. It is like he signed his max deal (6 years, $86 million) and then played hard for a couple years so folks would forget about how much money he was making and then he just stopped trying last season.

Well, for some of those years he was the top offensive threat on his team, and not a great one at that. This year, Boozer, Deron, and Okur were all clearly more talented offensive players than he.

I think AK47 is a matter of expectations. When he was averaging a freakish 8, 8, 5, 5, and 4, we all assumed that someday it would be 24, 8, 5, 5, and 4.

Classof06
07-03-2007, 01:19 PM

The Cavs are also showing Peterson a lot of interest, which I don't mind one bit.

By the way, Morris Peterson is a MUCH better defender than Jason Kapono; it's not even comparable. Despite playing 21 mpg in the regular season, Peterson played 30 mpg against NJ in playoffs because he was the only one who could guard/slow down Vince Carter. Plus, like Mike Krzyzewski, you don't play for Tom Izzo if you can't play defense...

jimsumner
07-05-2007, 12:36 PM
ESPN is reporting Grant to Phoenix. Breaking news.

MrBisonDevil
07-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Suns are now my personal favorite team in the West.

Hector Vector
07-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Fox Sports is reporting that Grant's agent Lon Babby has said that Grant will sign with Phoenix, for the "biennial exception" of 1.83M. After two mega contracts, and an early career as a major endorser (GM, Sprite), Grant obvioulsy didn't need to hold out for the veteran's exception (around 5 M) he might have received from other teams.

I won't say Grant necessarily puts Suns over the top next year, as he simply makes them stronger on the wings, where they are already strong (Marion, Barbosa, Diaw, Raja Bell). But this was already the 2d or 3d best team in the nba (SA and, notwithstanding playoff flameout, Dallas). This just makes them better.

They were already fun to rot for, and now even more so.

DevilAlumna
07-05-2007, 05:44 PM
They were already fun to rot for, and now even more so.

I love rotting for sports teams. What's really nice is that up here in the Emerald city, when you rot, you can get a nice, deep green moss on you, which conveniently is the primary color of the Seattle Supersonics.

"So, it's rot, rot, rot for the hometeam!"

(Sorry, it's a VERY quiet day in the office.)

mgtr
07-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Not at all certain that I have ever seen a Suns game (at least in modern times, ie since Connie Hawkins, who I loved). But I will now. Grant can add a very useful dimension to any good team.

cspan37421
07-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I hope he stays healthy and turns out to be the missing piece for them. He has perservered through so many tough injuries that must have been so frustrating, esp. to someone who played at such a high level (all-star, highlight reel).

I'm looking forward to hearing the official announcement and can't wait to see them tear it up next year. Of course the Spurs probably won't so quietly into that good night.

mapei
07-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Not at all certain that I have ever seen a Suns game (at least in modern times, ie since Connie Hawkins, who I loved).

Wow, that was almost 40 years ago!

It's not much of an exaggeration to say that I can't stand to watch the NBA unless the Suns are playing.

YmoBeThere
07-05-2007, 06:56 PM

Three hundred and sixty five posts already? It must be very slow out there. Here in Beantown, we don't have time or the permissions to go to message boards during work hours...:D :rolleyes: Hope you are doing well...

I was a fan of the Suns when they had a guy from Clemson by the name of Larry. I remember TC and KJ and of course Thunder Dan and the rest of the crowd. Yes, I suffered through the loss in 6 to MJ. Okay, I even had some like for Charles while he was there.

Unfortunately, I agree with one other poster(HV) that GH doesn't necessarily put them over the top in the West. I think better interior defense was really the item on the menu.

dkbaseball
07-05-2007, 08:43 PM
I really liked the Suns' draft also, considering where they picked. Alando Tucker is a shooting guard who can't shoot, but a phenomenal strength and energy guy and a great teammate, who can provide some very effective minutes. And I loved D.J. Strawberry against us -- great athleticism and defense.

Nash has taken point guard play to a new level in the last three years. Steve Kerr, IMO one of the smartest and most personable guys ever to play professional sports, just became the new GM. What's not to love about this team? (Maybe not enough outside shooting if Raja Bell goes down, and inside muscle, especially if they dump Kurt Thomas.) Unfortunately, I'm moving out of Arizona in a couple of weeks.

jimsumner
07-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Phoenix plays small ball, rarely plays zone, and doesn't use its bench. Grant should feel right at home. :)

Seriously, for those who don't follow the NBA, the Suns are the polar opposite of the things that many folks don't like about the NBA. Up-tempo all the time, they don't stand around, and use little of the sumo wrestling that passes for post play in the East. Great ball movement led by the best passer on the planet. They are always entertaining and they win lots of games while being entertaining.

Looking forward to seeing Grant fit into the team. The $64K question is what are they going to do with Marion. He's the third option and has suggested that he'd rather be higher up the food chain. He mainly plays the 4 so moving him shouldn't impact Grant unless they trade him and don't get value.

Channing
07-06-2007, 01:04 AM
I am not sure if any of you non-Atlantans are familiar with this clown - he has the ride home radio show on a sports radio channel here in atlanta, and also a sunday morning show on ESPN.com. Anyway, i turned it on this afternoon, and Kincaid was going to town on Grant - saying that he robbed Orlando blind for his entire Contract, that his Grant was a sissy and refused to play through pain, and that he didnt deserve to go to a contender and try and play for a championship. I was shocked when I heard it, as I have never heard anyone, even Duke haters, say anything negative about Grant (except that he is injury prone). I immediately got on the phone and tried to get through to the show to point out that Grant's coming back to soon and trying to play through pain probably caused him to miss more time, that his injuries led to some serious infections, that it isnt his fault the NBA has a guaranteed money CBA, and that he is taking pennie (compared to what he could probably get) to go and play with a winner.

Perhaps I am "too close" to the situation - but that really made me mad.

JasonEvans
07-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Jason Smith, the ESPN "Up-all-Night" guy who does overnight radio had the exact opposite reaction to Grant signing with the Suns. He said it was a great signing and that Grant would go fabulous there in Phoenix. He added that folks have forgotten just how special a player Grant Hill was. In his words, "Grant Hill was Lebron James before Lebron came along."

Hill could do it all. His stats before the injuries were ridiculous. His 2nd year in Detroit he went for 20 ppg, 10 rpg, and 7 assists per game. He was not quite the scorer that Lebron has become but he excelled in all facets of the game the same way Lebron does.

Smith went on to say that the course of the NBA changed as a result of Grant's injuries. He said that if Grant did not get hurt, Grant would have been the face of the league going into the 2000s after Jordan retired. Instead, with "good guy" Grant Hill out the way for a while, the face of the league became guys like Iverson, Marbury, Stevie Franchise, and other unsavory types. Smith said it is a pity that injury robbed all of us and the NBA of the greatest years of Grant Hill's career. Jason said that Orlando would have won a title if Grant had been healthy and that we'd be talking now about where Hill ranks among the all-time greats. Instead, it seems unlikely that Hill even makes the Hall of Fame.

I am not sure I totally agree with what Smith says, but it was great praise for a guy whose career took a sad and unexpected turn. I do agree that Grant could have been one of the greats. I expect him to play a meaningful role for Phoenix this coming season. his ability to see the floor and make stellar passes will mesh so beautifully with the Suns style of play. I suspect you will see him on the floor whenever Nash is not, so Phoenix can keep a great paseser in the game at all times. When the two of them are together-- wow, it will be fun to watch. I also think Grant will help Phoenix a lot more than folks realize as he still plays great defense. Phoenix needs that from him for sure.

-Jason "I think this could make it easier for Phoenix to make a deal to get rid of Marion" Evans

keithg
07-06-2007, 08:33 AM
I have never heard anyone, even Duke haters, say anything negative about Grant (except that he is injury prone).

Perhaps I am "too close" to the situation - but that really made me mad.

If you've never heard it....it's coming...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-bianchi0607jul06,0,3181457.column

JasonEvans
07-06-2007, 09:13 AM
If you've never heard it....it's coming...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-bianchi0607jul06,0,3181457.column

Maybe I am wrong, but did Orlando even try to re-sign him?

Also, I find it quite amusing that an Orlando reporter is complaining about Grant being a mercinary when Grant left Detroit for Orlando. It is not like Grant was a lifetime Magic member who got his start with the team. Orlando bought his services several years ago and now Phoenix is buying his services.

It is not like Grant pulled a Shawn Kemp and gave up trying after signing a big contract. He got hurt and kept on getting hurt. It is hardly his fault this happened. It is unfortunate for everyone involved. But, news flash, free agents tend to move around to new teams.

I gave up hoping free agents would stay with their hometown teams when Tom Glavine left the Braves because they offered him a 3-year, $32 million dollar deal and he took the Mets 3-year, $35 million deal instead. The fact that the Braves had paid him about $80 million dollars already in his career or that he had been with them since he was drafted in 1984 did not seem to matter to him versus 1 million more per year. Feh!!!!

-Jason "me, bitter? no way!!" Evans

jaimedun34
07-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Hill doesn't "owe" the Magic anything.

Notice the change in the opinions of sportswriters and fans. When Grant was working his way back to the NBA, oh and this was after he almost died, everybody praised him for his work ethic and his decision not to sit back and collect his fat paycheck like every other NBA player does. Grant is lucky he can walk, let alone play at the level he did last year. For Grant to play like he did last year was an accomplishment in itself and ORL fans should be happy for him. But now, they're angry because he didn't do more.

It's the same thing that NBA fans do when their team signs a new free agent. They have certain expectations, and even if they are unrealistic, the player is at fault when he doesn't fulfill those expectations.

It is just amazing the comments that are being directed towards Grant... considering that the people who are doing the talking would be claiming disability for the rest of their lives if they had a near-fatal staph infection.

thebur
07-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Will vie for my attention out west.

Can't wait to see Grant on PHX, I think he is a great fit and will give them a great sixth man to put in. The question now is, do you trade Diaw for Maggette or another legit big man to help against Duncan?

mapei
07-06-2007, 12:34 PM
There are some whiners, but I think the fan/pundit impression of Grant is overwhelmingly positive. One of the unfortunate casualties of his injuries is that we lost a high-profile great ambassador for Duke. He's still a great ambassador, just at a lower level than what might have been.

Mcluhan
07-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Can anybody point me to primary quotes of Glenn Robinson talking trash prior to the '94 elite 8 game?

EarlJam
07-06-2007, 03:18 PM
I love rotting for sports teams. What's really nice is that up here in the Emerald city, when you rot, you can get a nice, deep green moss on you, which conveniently is the primary color of the Seattle Supersonics.

"So, it's rot, rot, rot for the hometeam!"

Just wanted to say KUDOS. EarlJam totally appreciates this kind of stuff.

-EarlJam

P.S. UNC can rot in HELL!

YmoBeThere
09-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Shawn Marion says he wants out of Phoenix...which to me would imply lots of playing time for Grant? Anything I am missing here?

jimsumner
09-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Marion mainly plays the 4 for Phoenix.

JBDuke
09-28-2007, 01:58 AM

... and I'm not convinced he's going anywhere.

Jumbo
09-28-2007, 12:20 PM

Phoenix plays small. With or without Marion, Grant was/is going to play a lot of 4 in their system.

Clipsfan
09-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Phoenix plays small. With or without Marion, Grant was/is going to play a lot of 4 in their system.

I find that surprising. Marion is a great interior defender for his size, but I've never really thought Grant capable of guarding the Tim Duncans etc. I know Phoenix plays small, but having him guard the big men seems like a big mistake in the west.

Jumbo
09-28-2007, 12:35 PM
I find that surprising. Marion is a great interior defender for his size, but I've never really thought Grant capable of guarding the Tim Duncans etc. I know Phoenix plays small, but having him guard the big men seems like a big mistake in the west.

He wouldn't have to guard Tim Duncan. Amare Stoudemire or Boris Diaw would. The number of teams with two bigs who are a) larger than Grant and b) capable of scoring on the low block isn't nearly as large as you'd think. Plus, in Phoenix's system, you'd just take advantage of the mis-match at the other end.

I'm also not talking about Grant playing 40 minutes at the 4. But he will play there at times, and he should be fine.

jipops
09-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Even when Grant does spend some time at the 4, I expect him to jack up quite a few more 3pt attempts this season than he has any other season in his career. Will be interesting to see how that works out given that Grant has never been known as a perimeter shooter. Though could make it all the more advantageous for him to spend time at the 4.