PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Butler Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
12-02-2010, 09:36 PM
It is less than 48 hours until the Duke - Butler rematch so it is time to start the discussion thread. The game is being held in East Rutherford, NJ, where Duke has had much success. Duke's last visit to East Rutherford was on 12/20/2008 when the Blue Devils defeated Xavier 82-64 (Izod Center). Previously, on 12/10/2005, Duke thrashed Texas 97-66 (Continental Airlines Arena).

As far as National Title game rematches go, Duke defeated Michigan in the 1992 title game and again on 12/5/1992 in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

moonpie23
12-02-2010, 09:42 PM
thanks bob....

this game is a total sleeper.......perfect time for a let down...yea, hayward is gone, but that team would sell their souls for a win.......

i expect K to have their ear....

uh_no
12-02-2010, 09:55 PM
thanks bob....

this game is a total sleeper.......perfect time for a let down...yea, hayward is gone, but that team would sell their souls for a win.......

i expect K to have their ear....

butler lost to evansville, by 15 to louisville and had trouble with loyola

not exactly juggernaut teams there....

we're playing up in new york (yeah meadowlands is really in NY...just ask the giants and jets), which is like home away from home....we blew out xavier by like 30 2 years ago....

given we're coming off a high, but the team has been looking forwards to this two game stretch (watch the top 5 from last nights game on DBP where kyrie talks about wanting his shot at butler)...its hard to view this as a 'classic trap game' just because its on a neutral floor we where we play well, and its against a team which was ranked highly as the year started.....not someone we might look over

idk i just don't see butler putting up much of a fight

quota
12-02-2010, 10:02 PM
The word "rematch" annoys me about as much as "defend national title" annoys Coach K. It's just not the same match-up.

That being said, I expect a good game, but a Duke win by 10-12.

77devil
12-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Duke has never lost a game at the Meadowlands that I attended and I will be there Saturday. On the other hand, Duke is 18-1 at the venue and I've only attended 7 so I guess there isn't much causation. ;) The Devils will make it 19-1 handily.

Butler hasn't shown anything this season to suggest it can keep up with Kyrie and the crew, and this time the crowd will be decidedly for Duke.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2010, 10:45 PM
we're playing up in new york (yeah meadowlands is really in NY...just ask the giants and jets)

I sort of agree as a former Tri-Stater, but Kyrie was talking the other day about coming home to Jersey. I expect him to have a great homecoming.

Butler is struggling out of the box. Hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice. But Brad Stevens is perhaps the best young coach out there and they will be motivated.

Of course, so will Kyle and Nolan. Great opportunity to get them both on track.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Duke has never lost a game at the Meadowlands that I attended and I will be there Saturday. On the other hand, Duke is 18-1 at the venue and I've only attended 7 so I guess there isn't much causation. ;) The Devils will make it 19-1 handily.

Butler hasn't shown anything this season to suggest it can keep up with Kyrie and the crew, and this time the crowd will be decidedly for Duke.

IIRC, the one loss was to Arizona when Laettner was a frosh. He missed some free throws at the end, and Mr. President Dick Nixon came by the locker room after the game to say that "he'd blown the big one" himself. Christian never missed a key free throw after that as far as I recall.

I'm sure some can correct this memory if I am wrong, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Going to be a blowout. I'll love it, but it won't be much of a game. What a difference a summer makes.

devildeac
12-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Four comments:

1. "Butler deserved to win."
2. "Coach K does commercials."
3. "Duke (objectively) sucks."
4. "Christian Laettner is a fag."

(I just hope folks remember where this came from or I am in BIG trouble.

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/09/29/what-its-like-to-be-a-duke-fan-nsfw/ )

I think Duke wins easily by 15-20 points.

Bluedevil114
12-03-2010, 08:22 AM
I really expect the gameplan is go get Seth and Kyle going in this one. I really expect Mason to also have a really big game.

NSDukeFan
12-03-2010, 10:55 AM
butler lost to evansville, by 15 to louisville and had trouble with loyola

not exactly juggernaut teams there....

we're playing up in new york (yeah meadowlands is really in NY...just ask the giants and jets), which is like home away from home....we blew out xavier by like 30 2 years ago....

given we're coming off a high, but the team has been looking forwards to this two game stretch (watch the top 5 from last nights game on DBP where kyrie talks about wanting his shot at butler)...its hard to view this as a 'classic trap game' just because its on a neutral floor we where we play well, and its against a team which was ranked highly as the year started.....not someone we might look over

idk i just don't see butler putting up much of a fight

I agree that Butler appears to be overmatched and hasn't shown yet this year that they will be a team to give Duke much trouble. My impression from last year's game however is that the team won't pull a State and roll over. (I didn't actually see the Wisconsin game, but am basing this just on the scoreboard.) I would expect Butler to compete and for their guards to be quite physical on defense. This should provide another good challenge for Kyrie and Nolan in the back court.

Starter
12-03-2010, 11:05 AM
As an NJ native, Giants and Jets games are as Joisey a thing as there is. And the Izod Center is not quite the Garden. They'll show aerial shots of NYC during the game because the alternative is the swamps.

arnie
12-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Four comments:

1. "Butler deserved to win."
2. "Coach K does commercials."
3. "Duke (objectively) sucks."
4. "Christian Laettner is a fag."

(I just hope folks remember where this came from or I am in BIG trouble.

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/09/29/what-its-like-to-be-a-duke-fan-nsfw/ )

I think Duke wins easily by 15-20 points.

And of course my favorite comment (IC): can't beat a team when its 8 against 5.

davekay1971
12-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm surprised to see Butler struggling out of the gate, and it doesn't bode well for them given the way Duke's been playing. Butler was clicking to perfection in the NCAAT last year. Not so much so far this year.

Quota is dead-on accurate - this isn't a rematch. Butler hasn't had quite the turnover in personnel that Duke has had, but they are a different team. Duke, of course, is a markedly different team.

Duke 2009-2010 was a close match with Butler 2009-2010. Duke 2010-11 should be heavily favored over Butler 2010-11. Hopefully we'll play well and win convincingly.

Bob Green
12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
It is less than 48 hours until the Duke - Butler rematch....

The word "rematch" annoys me about as much as "defend national title" annoys Coach K.

Quota is dead-on accurate - this isn't a rematch.

Obviously a poor choice of words on my part so I beg the board for forgiveness.

SilkyJ
12-03-2010, 12:05 PM
so I beg the board for forgiveness.

Say 20 Hail Krzyzewskis as your penance.

So who's going tomorrow? As I said in another thread, we are in Section 1 (under the basket), Row H. Look for the devilishly handsome dude in my avatar (no not Johnny Dawkins!) wearing the throwback Dunleavy jersey from his days on the Warriors ("The City" jersey)

I expect Duke to win handily.

timmy c
12-03-2010, 12:51 PM

You are forgiven. Go in peace and sin no more.

buzz
12-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Butler's best defender, Ronald Nored, missed the last two games due to a concussion and is questionable for the Duke game. His status is day-to-day. Here's the ESPN preview:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=5878661

ChicagoCrazy84
12-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Butler's best defender, Ronald Nored, missed the last two games due to a concussion and is questionable for the Duke game. His status is day-to-day. Here's the ESPN preview:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=5878661

They are a different team when Nored is in and they are better than how they've been playing. Nored doesn't score much but he puts a lot of pressure on the ball and gets a lot of steals. If he plays, I would imagine he would provide Kyrie a good test. In a way, I kind of want him to play because the more top notch competition, the better. Without him, there is no one that can stop Kyrie and our backcourt will have a field day on them. Matt Howard would get in early foul trouble and we would win going away 20+ IMO.

MChambers
12-03-2010, 02:32 PM
They are a different team when Nored is in and they are better than how they've been playing. Nored doesn't score much but he puts a lot of pressure on the ball and gets a lot of steals. If he plays, I would imagine he would provide Kyrie a good test. In a way, I kind of want him to play because the more top notch competition, the better. Without him, there is no one that can stop Kyrie and our backcourt will have a field day on them. Matt Howard would get in early foul trouble and we would win going away 20+ IMO.
Definitely we should want Nored to play, so that we get Butler's best shot. As weak as the ACC is this year, Duke needs all the challenges it can get. If Nored plays and leads a Butler upset, we'll learn from it.

Having said that, if Nored didn't practice today, I doubt he'll play tomorrow, or at least won't play significant minutes. Concussions can be tough. Hope he heals quickly.

timmy c
12-03-2010, 02:42 PM
It will be interesting to see how Butler defends Singler.

Butler’s seniors, Vanzant and Anglin, have been unspectacular at the SF spot. Vanzant is a third guard at 6-0, 174 lbs. Anglin is taller, 6-5, but not much bigger at 177. The third option for Brad Stevens is freshman Khyle Marshall, he has size at 6-7, 210, but the MSG lights might be too much for the kid.

Butler, sans Gordon Hayward, will have even more trouble when Duke plays small with KS at the 4.

This should be Kyle’s chance to find his rhythm.

Kedsy
12-03-2010, 03:16 PM
So who's going tomorrow? As I said in another thread, we are in Section 1 (under the basket), Row H. Look for the devilishly handsome dude in my avatar (no not Johnny Dawkins!) wearing the throwback Dunleavy jersey from his days on the Warriors ("The City" jersey)

I'll be in section 123, near the back. Not sure what I'll be wearing. ;)

pfrduke
12-03-2010, 04:07 PM

I'll be in 101, Row 25 (thanks to my lovely wife who got me these tickets as a wedding present! She's already so well trained ;))

noyac
12-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Does anyone else think we owe a hard pick/screen on Howard for what he did to Kyle or is the ring and banner enough of a payback?

bigj4194
12-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Should be an interesting game. Definitely think Duke will come out victorious, but I'm interested to see if Butler can keep it close again. I'm slightly doubting it as our squad is much faster tempo this year.

Butler really needs Nored to play, if he doesn't then I don't think Butler will be able to keep it close.

SuperTurkey
12-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Does anyone else think we owe a hard pick/screen on Howard for what he did to Kyle or is the ring and banner enough of a payback?

I think our National Championship is sufficient payback.

CEF1959
12-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Duke should win this handily. They were a better team than Butler last year, notwithstanding Butler's superb run at the end. This Duke team is better than last year's, and Butler's team this year is not as good as last year's.

If Duke wins this game, they could easily be 15-0 going to Florida State on Jan. 12.

MChambers
12-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Duke should win this handily. They were a better team than Butler last year, notwithstanding Butler's superb run at the end. This Duke team is better than last year's, and Butler's team this year is not as good as last year's.

If Duke wins this game, they could easily be 15-0 going to Florida State on Jan. 12.
I agree that Duke was better than Butler last year and that Butler isn't as good this year as last, but am not willing to say this Duke team is better, at least not better than Duke was last April. By March, I hope to be able to say that, however.

I'd say Duke by 10-12.

davekay1971
12-03-2010, 05:22 PM

Bob, I certainly didn't mean to pick on you or your choice or words! I've caught myself calling it a rematch several times since the game appeared on the schedule :D

Atlanta Duke
12-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Some humor in the ESPN.com preview

Butler visits Duke for Round 2

The Bulldogs face another marquee game, this time a rematch with the Blue Devils in one of Cameron Indoor Stadium's northern satellite offices at the Meadowlands (the other is at Madison Square Garden) Saturday afternoon

Orange&BlackSheep
12-03-2010, 05:56 PM

I would think having to watch that shot not go in every March for the next 50 years might do it ...

Bob Green
12-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Bob, I certainly didn't mean to pick on you or your choice or words! I've caught myself calling it a rematch several times since the game appeared on the schedule :D

No offense taken, I was just playing around.

77devil
12-03-2010, 08:39 PM

How did you score those great seats? ;)

Tappan Zee Devil
12-03-2010, 08:47 PM

I am in Section 209 (got them through Duke- but I guess that is what I get for not being an Iron Duke)

I will be wearing my Duke hoodie

jim

diveonthefloor
12-03-2010, 09:05 PM

Nah, but we owe the ref who missed that call a dirty look! :cool:

Greg_Newton
12-03-2010, 09:13 PM

Don't worry... we'll just instruct Miles to set a simple "slip pick" on Howard and he'll inevitably end up form tackling him into the third row!

Underdog5
12-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I love that the team comes to NYC every year. Look forward to seeing Kyrie in person in a Duke uniform. I'm hoping this game stays close but I have a feeling this is going to get ugly fast. At least I'll be in the building!

mapei
12-03-2010, 11:10 PM

Yes, we absolutely should. That's what Josh is for in this game. Level the guy.

If Duke continues to play at the level of the last couple of weeks, this one should be finished early. I'm not saying this year's Duke is better than last year's, but it is MUCH faster and I don't think Butler is as suited to the new pace as they were to our pace last year.

There is *always* the chance, though, that we will be off-form for one reason or another (free throws, anyone?), and they will be having a hot afternoon. I'd put the chances of that at around 10-20% at most. I agree that we should win by 10+, and it could end up 20+.

BD80
12-04-2010, 04:20 AM

Yes, we absolutely should. That's what Josh is for in this game. Level the guy. ...

Sigh. Why don't we take advantage of our "celebrity" connections? Ryan Kelly is dating Bill Cowher's daughter, and has put on about 30 lbs since last year.

Anyone think that the guy that "created" James Harrison could help his potential son-in-law to relate a suitable message to Mr. Howard?

jv001
12-04-2010, 08:03 AM
I agree that Duke was better than Butler last year and that Butler isn't as good this year as last, but am not willing to say this Duke team is better, at least not better than Duke was last April. By March, I hope to be able to say that, however.

I'd say Duke by 10-12.
I'm not a betting person, but Vegas has Duke favored by 15 points. Probably about right. As for Duke being better than last year, more individual talent, but don't know if we are a better "team" at this point. We certainly have the potential to be. Go Duke!

riksmits
12-04-2010, 09:14 AM
I would think having to watch that shot not go in every March for the next 50 years might do it ...

Butler alum here, grew up Duke fan and I don't think you can say it any better than the quote above. Most Butler fans can't even watch the championship game. I still think one of these times the shot actually might go in.

I am personally not a big Nored fan and think he is overrated, but if he plays hopefully he is close to 100% and can attempt to slow down Kyrie. If Butler goes strictly for match ups, here is how I see it:

Nored - Irving : If Nored can't go for some reason, I think Vanzant starts here.
Mack - Smith : Standard
Anglin/Marshall - Singler : Anglin has the bigger body over SVZ as someone pointed out earlier, and Marshall is going to be a sensational player with maturity and experience, but this is the match up that worries me if Singler comes ready to play today.

If Howard can stay out of foul trouble, the Bulldogs can make it competitive. He has to play more than the 18 minutes he played in the title game. You'll know before the first TV timeout. If not, it might get ugly. Butler had a big road win on Wednesday night as well being able to bounce back from the Evansville loss. Outside of the Louisville game, this is not a team which gets blown out very often.

As usual, I think Vegas set a good line. Should be a fun one.

HateCarolina
12-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I think Duke wins this one going away...I want to see Matt Howard feel some bumps from the Plumlees, Kelly, and most importantly Singler. That screen that Howard set on Singler at the end of the game still pisses me off. I was in the Duke Store in early October picking up some new gear for my daughter and they were replaying the Championship game. I stopped and watched the end of the game again and there was the "screen" and then Heyward's shot clanking off the rim...still as beautiful as ever, but the screen still makes me grit my teeth and clinch my fists.

Check this out...

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101203/SPORTS0605/12030332/Butler-fans-still-talking-about-bone-rattling-screen?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cp

NSDukeFan
12-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Butler alum here, grew up Duke fan and I don't think you can say it any better than the quote above. Most Butler fans can't even watch the championship game. I still think one of these times the shot actually might go in.

I am personally not a big Nored fan and think he is overrated, but if he plays hopefully he is close to 100% and can attempt to slow down Kyrie. If Butler goes strictly for match ups, here is how I see it:

Nored - Irving : If Nored can't go for some reason, I think Vanzant starts here.
Anglin/Marshall - Singler : Anglin has the bigger body over SVZ as someone pointed out earlier, and Marshall is going to be a sensational player with maturity and experience, but this is the match up that worries me if Singler comes ready to play today.

If Howard can stay out of foul trouble, the Bulldogs can make it competitive. He has to play more than the 18 minutes he played in the title game. You'll know before the first TV timeout. If not, it might get ugly. Butler had a big road win on Wednesday night as well being able to bounce back from the Evansville loss. Outside of the Louisville game, this is not a team which gets blown out very often.

As usual, I think Vegas set a good line. Should be a fun one.

Thanks for your post. I am hoping Nored is healthy (obviously) and can play at 100% or close to it as I think he would provide Kyrie with another, different type of challenge that will continue his phenomenal growth so far.
Just to nit-pick, I just had to highlight your quote as I think you may have wanted to word it as "if Kyle has a good/great shooting game." I don't know if he will shoot well, or how involved he will be offensively, but I will guarantee you that Kyle will come ready to play.
I really like Howard as a player and Butler as a team, and hope Howard can learn to avoid the cheap fouls as he seems to score very well inside, even when guarded by bigger players.
What I think will be the most important part of the game will be who can control the tempo. If Butler handles the ball well and stays disciplined at both ends of the floor to make it a half court game, it could get interesting. If not, it could be a long game for Butler fans.

kaufmjo
12-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Interesting article linked on the main page referring to the screen on Singler from last year's game. Was there ever any comment from Coach K after the game? I'd expect Kyle to keep an eye out for him today, as should the rest of duke. He played recklessly last year, really hope he has settled down this season.

riksmits
12-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Everyone saying that it was a cheap hit really needs to get over it. Rationale Butler players and non duke haters aren't bragging about the screen. Duke won the game in the most dramatic fashion, believe me when I say the screen is no consolation prize at all.

I'm not talking Singler out and saying he doesn't always come to play so don't take my statement the wrong way. I'm just saying if he's shooting well/playing well its going to be a long afternoon.

roywhite
12-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Everyone saying that it was a cheap hit really needs to get over it. Rationale Butler players and non duke haters aren't bragging about the screen. Duke won the game in the most dramatic fashion, believe me when I say the screen is no consolation prize at all.

I'm not talking Singler out and saying he doesn't always come to play so don't take my statement the wrong way. I'm just saying if he's shooting well/playing well its going to be a long afternoon.

You know what....every time I see that play, that "screen" bothers me. IMO, it was a cheap shot and more akin to a hockey check than a basketball play.

Sorry, I like Butler as a school and I like your coach, but I hope it's Duke by a bunch today.

moonpie23
12-04-2010, 10:47 AM
i think i saw a quote from kyle himself saying that "it wasn't as bad as it looked"...

but of course, he was tired and his judgement was impaired with immediate elation from the karmic shot.......

it was a cheap shot...

jimsumner
12-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Anglin/Marshall - Singler : Anglin has the bigger body over SVZ as someone pointed out earlier, and Marshall is going to be a sensational player with maturity and experience, but this is the match up that worries me if Singler comes ready to play today. .

No disrespect, because you don't see Duke on a regular basis. But Kyle Singler has come to play every single time he has set foot on a basketball floor at Duke University, even last month when he was recovering from a nasty stomach virus.

mattman91
12-04-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm going to be traveling today and I'm going to have to listen on the radio, but does anyone know if there is a place I can watch a replay of the game? I know I'm the last person on earth who doesn't have DVR, but I really want to be able to watch this one. It slowly kills me every time I miss a game.

Bob Green
12-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm going to be traveling today and I'm going to have to listen on the radio, but does anyone know if there is a place I can watch a replay of the game?

The game is on ESPN and ESPN3 so you will be able to watch a replay on ESPN3:

http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

1 24 90
12-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Looks like Nored has been cleared to play. He'll get a nice close up view of Kyrie whizzing by. Go Duke!

mattman91
12-04-2010, 12:21 PM
The game is on ESPN and ESPN3 so you will be able to watch a replay on ESPN3:

http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

Thanks Bob. I didn't think it was going to be on ESPN3.

HateCarolina
12-04-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm not talking Singler out and saying he doesn't always come to play so don't take my statement the wrong way. I'm just sayinng if he's shooting well/playing well its going to be a long afternoon.

Go watch it again on youtube and tell me that Howard does not lift his shoulder up and in to Singler and then come back and post. I was just watching the opening to the Carolina/Kentucky game and they replayed "the shot" and of course there is Howard in the background with the hockey check screen. At the rate I'm going I'm going to need dentures b/c I keep gritting my teeth....

Bluedevil114
12-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Interesting article linked on the main page referring to the screen on Singler from last year's game. Was there ever any comment from Coach K after the game? I'd expect Kyle to keep an eye out for him today, as should the rest of duke. He played recklessly last year, really hope he has settled down this season.

I saw Butler play earlier this season and Howard has redefined his body and really hit the weight room. He is much bigger but was still clumsy and commiting too many fouls.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Can't wait to see who steps it up today!! I'm looking for a nice rebound game from Mr. Curry and Nolan Smith! :D

riksmits
12-04-2010, 02:14 PM
No disrespect, because you don't see Duke on a regular basis. But Kyle Singler has come to play every single time he has set foot on a basketball floor at Duke University, even last month when he was recovering from a nasty stomach virus.

I have seen every duke game this year minus the Princeton game, but ty for only reading part of my initial post.

And I said in my 2nd post that I should have chosen my words more carefully bc I'm not accusing Singler as someone who takes games off.

Apologize for the bad wording. Regardless, gl today.

riverside6
12-04-2010, 03:16 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=6916

juise
12-04-2010, 03:19 PM
The word "rematch" annoys me...

For the next 12 minutes, I think we should refer to this game as "The Duke-Butler Reunion Special Holiday Event" or DBRSHE for short.

Let's go, Duke!

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 03:25 PM
We look sorry right now. We are very flat.

Son of Mojo
12-04-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm still trying to see where Mason walked--looked like he put the ball on the court. Terrible passing on our part and Nolan's had two 3's rim out.

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 03:29 PM
This is ridiculous!

juise
12-04-2010, 03:29 PM
The charge call on Kyrie was questionable at best. At best.

theAlaskanBear
12-04-2010, 03:34 PM
pssshhht.

well, we will see how our team adjusts to different lineups!

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I am not too upset with this yet. I want to see how this lineup does.

Son of Mojo
12-04-2010, 03:45 PM
So far way too many missed opportunities on offense.

jv001
Getting out hustled.

AlaskanAssassin
I'm okay with this so far. I want this game to be a lesson, to prove that it is not 'easy' to win a game. They need to bring it every single game despite the opponent.

With that said, I hope they adjust and win.

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 03:46 PM
The game we look bad, snow knocks the dish out! I can't catch a break!

dairedevil
12-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Could someone let Nolan know that he's not the only guy who can take a shot? Two bad attempts in a row, and we're behind.

We'll see how good we are without Kyle and his defense.

Cockabeau
12-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Ok we get it Jay, Norad is a great defender.

The over-analyzing commentary is really grating....

CLW
12-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I thought we got out hustled a bit against Sparty.

I KNOW we got out hustled in the 1st Half against Butler.

Hopefully, this will grab their attention and they will come out and put Butler away early in the 2nd half as they are clearly the superior team in terms of talent.

Orange&BlackSheep
12-04-2010, 04:06 PM
The charge call on Kyrie was questionable at best. At best.

Come on ... he hit him in the middle of the chest driving him straight back ... that was the definition of charge.

I don't want to hear about Butler's great defense. Open shots from all over that just did not fall. Just one of those things.

ncexnyc
12-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Ok we get it Jay, Norad is a great defender.

The over-analyzing commentary is really grating....
If you don't like the audio feed use your mute button and turn on the radio, it's as simple as that.

Fuqua's Finest
12-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Look at the bright side....We just played the worst half of the season thus far, and we're tied at the half. Coach K will adjust and we should win. Butler's D is nice thus far, but Duke will start to hit some of their shots and Duke will win going away is my prediction. Perfect coaching opportunity for K.

SN: Singler and Smith seem to over-force things (Senior-itis). Hopefully they will just let the game come to them in the 2nd half.

Bob Green
Now a 40 minute game becomes a 20 minute game. While we didn't look good in the 1st half, the game is tied at 33 so let's make adjustments and roll to victory in the 2nd half.

We were 4-16 on 3s and 12-31 from the field overall. I'll wager we shoot better the next 20 minutes.

burns15
Come on ... he hit him in the middle of the chest driving him straight back ... that was the definition of charge.

I don't want to hear about Butler's great defense. Open shots from all over that just did not fall. Just one of those things.

The first charge call was definitely questionable at best... the second was a charge

moonpie23
gotta get our shots going down......too many near misses...

gotta get the ball inside more........it will be interesting to see how the second half is called as well...

norad is a problem..

CampbellBlueDevil
12-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah this game is so close due to shots not falling. Plenty of good looks that have just gone in and out. If they start falling we'll take a significant lead.

BleedsP287
12-04-2010, 04:14 PM
We got it inside a few times early and Mason fumbled it away or walked. Mason needs to get his head in the game. Also, I'm seeing a lot of our guards standing around waiting from someone to make a one on one move, not enough movement on the offense so the triangle and two is working better than it ought to.

We'll be ok, we'd be way ahead despite those problems if our open shots were falling at anything like our normal shooting average.

UNC over KY. Don't know whether to laugh or cry...

dairedevil
12-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Could someone please take the saran wrap off of the top of the basket?

ugh, missed shots and nobody in place to get the rebound.

slower
12-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah this game is so close due to shots not falling. Plenty of good looks that have just gone in and out. If they start falling we'll take a significant lead.

unless they don't start falling.

burns15
12-04-2010, 04:27 PM
unless they don't start falling.

wow it seems like Mason is not into it today, almost like he would rather be somewhere else than playing... OTOH love the hustle by Kyrie

lotusland
12-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Miles made a great post move, rebounded and defended well I thought. Ryan looked good too with a block, and assist and a big 3-ptr

ncexnyc
12-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Senior leadership isn't, 6 for 17 shooting. Step it up guys.

gam7
12-04-2010, 04:31 PM
14:31 left in the second - Latest we've trailed in a game this season.

Gthoma2a
12-04-2010, 04:34 PM
That foul is going to help us.

davekay1971
12-04-2010, 04:39 PM
It's a simple as this: we need to hit the open looks we're getting.

Kyrie: he can hit the 3, but he's so much better going toward the basket.

I don't usually let the commentators get under my skin, and I really don't believe Bilas has an anti-Duke bias or overcompensation or whatever...but he's kind of over-the-top today. I don't think he's agreed with any foul called on Butler so far this half. He's almost giving us a Billy Packer "Duike's really getting a lot of calls" moment.

1 24 90
12-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Is it just me or have the refs really helped us in the last few minutes? Miles did foul Mack on that 3 and some of the block/charge calls have gone our way too.

Nice dunk Andre!!!!

Son of Mojo
12-04-2010, 04:42 PM
DRE with the JAM!!! And, yes, our pal Mr. Bilas is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally gone past the point of being annoying with some of his calls. *sigh* I won't say anything further than that in case it causes him to get angry again. Let's keep pushing Devils!!!

fisheyes
12-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Is it just me or have the refs really helped us in the last few minutes? Miles did foul Mack on that 3 and some of the block/charge calls have gone our way too.

Nice dunk Andre!!!!

The Duke haters will certainly agree.

Cockabeau
12-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Why is Brad Stevens pissed? Does he think his team can just stall the ball and hope for no calls from the refs every time?

CLW
Our effort/intensity has been MUCH better in the 2nd half.

Gthoma2a
They got some calls too. The first charge against Kyrie, and a couple others. It goes both ways. Andre is a man. I am so happy that we have him. He always does the right thing in big moments.

lotusland
12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Dre's playing awesome - nice dunk +1 and nice lob pass to Mason!

Cockabeau
12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Give me Len Elmore over Bilas. Cant believe I said that.

dairedevil
12-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Funny how we only complain about Bilas when he says something that can be construed as criticism against Duke, or about the officiating going our way. Early in the game, I noticed several complimentary things he said (I didn't post anything about it, though)

This Butler team reminds me a lot of some Duke teams - tenacious, never gives up, coached well, making the most of what they've got.

TNDukeFan
12-04-2010, 04:53 PM
...I think some of us are a bit too invested at the moment.

uh_no
12-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Funny how we only complain about Bilas when he says something that can be construed as criticism against Duke

That's pretty much all he ever says :P

1 24 90
12-04-2010, 04:55 PM

I think you're dead on. This game has been painful. I do think Bilas may start the "Nored for first team All America" thread though.

Cockabeau
12-04-2010, 04:56 PM
He is so over the top....for example when Butler makes a simple jumpshot he goes into pandemonium and how Butler has so much heart.....ok I get it it Jay. please stop repeating yourself everytime and then I didnt hear boo from him about Andre's heart on the and one slam dunk...it just gets old.

CDu

Agreed. Bilas has been far from anti-Duke today in my opinion. He's just been balanced. He's been complimentary of Butler because Butler is giving a fantastic effort and keeping close against a team with superior talent.

But, alas, objectivity often goes out the window with fans.

Son of Mojo
I've come to believe, after listening to the commentary in the game, that Norad may well be the most important player in the game. Maybe in the country......:rolleyes: We're not THAT emotionally invested that we cannot hear some of the things said. Anyway, we need to build this lead.

Gorilla
Give me Len Elmore over Bilas. Cant believe I said that.

Lol u dont mean that

scheyerfan
12-04-2010, 04:58 PM
the game turned on two questionable calls- both in our favor. the foul that put Norad on the bench at 44-44 and a moment later the blocking call that looked like a Kyle charge. if the first went the other way Norad would have stayed in and if they called a charge on Kyle then he would have had 4 fouls (and he wouldn't have gotten the three point play).

CDu
12-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Huge shots by Irving there!

TNDukeFan
12-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Bilas just called KI the best point guard in the country. Okay? Sheesh.

CDu
12-04-2010, 05:01 PM
the game turned on two questionable calls- both in our favor. the foul that put Norad on the bench at 44-44 and a moment later the blocking call that looked like a Kyle charge. if the first went the other way Norad would have stayed in and if they called a charge on Kyle then he would have had 4 fouls (and he wouldn't have gotten the three point play).

The Nored foul was a good call (he hit Smith on the upper arm during the shot), but often goes uncalled. The Singler play was a charge and we caught a big break there. But you're right - those calls certainly changed the landscape of the game.

That said, Singler's third foul probably should have been a no call. Complaining about any one call in isolation ignores the fact that LOTS of calls are missed throughout the game both ways.

dukestheheat
12-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Huge shots by Irving there!

...and I had a feeling he was going to roll like that today as the game progressed. Duke is getting out-hustled and out-worked, at least it seems that way, and we are going to be very fortunate to get out of here with the W today if we can win it.

dth.

CDu
12-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Please let this be a cramp and nothing more.

Cockabeau
12-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Example#101: Replay shows Butler with the most pathetic flop I have ever seen and Bilas pays it no nevermind can you imagine if a Duke player pulled that?

CDu
12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Singler hits a huge shot. More concerned about Irving. I really hope it's a foot cramp and not a toe injury.

Gorilla
12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
My heart is racing..im calling a bruise

Cockabeau
12-04-2010, 05:06 PM
it looked like a cramp to me

Fuqua's Finest
12-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Why worry about Kyrie? If he's out for any amount of time, we have Nolan Smith to run point for the team....Hehehe

Vincetaylor
12-04-2010, 05:08 PM
We should have a separate "commentator complaints" thread for each game. A lot of you are more interested in analyzing them instead of the game.

CDu
12-04-2010, 05:08 PM
it looked like a cramp to me

Well, it looked like it could have been either a cramp, a jammed toe, or worse. It's pretty much impossible to tell when there is a shoe on the foot.

Edit: and now they tell us it's a "big toe issue." Hopefully that just means it's jammed and nothing worse.

FerryFor50
12-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Anyone else think Matt Howard has a bright future as an NBA goon, a la Mark Madsen?

CDu
12-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Whew! Irving back in the game. The "big toe issue" must not be too serious. Thank goodness.

FerryFor50
12-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, it looked like it could have been either a cramp, a jammed toe, or worse. It's pretty much impossible to tell when there is a shoe on the foot.

Edit: and now they tell us it's a "big toe issue." Hopefully that just means it's jammed and nothing worse.

I think Howard kicked his toe by accident on the crossover.

Gorilla
12-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Anyone else think Matt Howard has a bright future as an NBA goon, a la Mark Madsen?

His bball iq isnt that great he commits dumb fouls

lotusland
12-04-2010, 05:16 PM

too small and slow

FerryFor50
12-04-2010, 05:17 PM
His bball iq isnt that great he commits dumb fouls

That's the point. That's what a goon does - fouls. :)

devildownunder
12-04-2010, 05:18 PM
The Nored foul was a good call (he hit Smith on the upper arm during the shot), but often goes uncalled. The Singler play was a charge and we caught a big break there. But you're right - those calls certainly changed the landscape of the game.

That said, Singler's third foul probably should have been a no call. Complaining about any one call in isolation ignores the fact that LOTS of calls are missed throughout the game both ways.

Yep. And KI's 2nd foul was a bogus charge that sent him to the bench for most of the end of the first half. That changes the game, too.

FerryFor50
12-04-2010, 05:18 PM
too small and slow

He's an inch shorter than Madsen and probably about as fast as Madsen was.