PDA

View Full Version : Duke Basketball and New Jersey

Duke84
12-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I took a quick run through the All-Time Duke player list:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/

to compile a list of notable Duke players from New Jersey (in one case, I sort of stretched). It's pretty impressive.

Pre-K Era

Kevin Billerman
Gary Melchionni
Jim Spanarkel

K Era

Alaa Abdelnaby
Bobby Hurley
Roshown McLeod
Jason Williams
Dahntay Jones
Luol Deng (HS -there's my stretch:))
Brian Zoubek
Lance Thomas
Kyrie Irving

Add or edit if I missed anyone.

I left off some walk-ons, and players from olden days whose names I did not recognize, but we owe a big thank you to the Garden State, and for the perpetual suckitude of Rutgers (who gave Duke Jones and McLeod). Those 12, in their respective primes, would play one heck of a pick-up game.

Kedsy
12-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I left off some walk-ons, and players from olden days whose names I did not recognize, but we owe a big thank you to the Garden State, and for the perpetual suckitude of Rutgers (who gave Duke Jones and McLeod). Those 12, in their respective primes, would play one heck of a pick-up game.

Roshown McLeod played his high school ball in NJ, but transferred to Duke from St. Johns. Not sure what, if anything, Rutgers had to do with it?

Duke84
12-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Of course, Kedsy. Typing too fast, thinking too slowly. I just always think of those two as "the transfers from New Jersey" - and forget Roshown came from St. John's.

I just conflated two black Duke players who sort of played the same position. Now I know how Mike Patrick feels every day.

jimsumner
12-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I took a quick run through the All-Time Duke player list:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/

to compile a list of notable Duke players from New Jersey (in one case, I sort of stretched). It's pretty impressive.

Pre-K Era

Kevin Billerman
Gary Melchionni
Jim Spanarkel

K Era

Alaa Abdelnaby
Bobby Hurley
Roshown McLeod
Jason Williams
Dahntay Jones
Luol Deng (HS -there's my stretch:))
Brian Zoubek
Lance Thomas
Kyrie Irving

Add or edit if I missed anyone.

You left out perhaps the best of the pre-K players, the pride of Sea Girt, New Jersey, Mr. Robert Verga. Alan Shaw, Richie O'Connor, Robbie West for one magical moment.

Duke84
12-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Jim -

I was looking for Bob Verga, and missed him on the list. I though he was from Jersey. Like I said, typing fast. Sea Girt, NJ is a nice town - as is its neighbor Spring Lake.

When I wrote "add or edit if I missed anyone", I did so with you in mind specifically.

What was interesting to me is how many players from my native Western Pennsylvania played for Duke in the 40s/50s/60s. I knew the stars (Groat, Marin, etc.), but there were quite a few more guys dotting those rosters than I expected. Not too many Division I stars from Pittsburgh/Western PA these days.

jimsumner
12-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Jim -

I was looking for Bob Verga, and missed him on the list. I though he was from Jersey. Like I said, typing fast. Sea Girt, NJ is a nice town - as is its neighbor Spring Lake.

When I wrote "add or edit if I missed anyone", I did so with you in mind specifically.

What was interesting to me is how many players from my native Western Pennsylvania played for Duke in the 40s/50s/60s. I knew the stars (Groat, Marin, etc.), but there were quite a few more guys dotting those rosters than I expected. Not too many Division I stars from Pittsburgh/Western PA these days.

Groat was the catalyst. He was quite well known in Pa. and his success at Duke gave the school some name recognition in the state, helping bring in folks like Bernie Janicki, Ronnie Mayer, Joe Belmont, Paul Schmidt and Doug Kistler.

Bubas brought in some good PA guys, Marin, Vacendak, DeVenzio. Brent Kitching was supposed to be a super but never lived up to the hype. Then, of course, Foster brought in Gene Banks, from West Philly.

A few that got away were crucial. Billy Packer called to commit to Duke but Duke was waffling between Packer and another player and asked him to wait. Packer didn't much appreciate the perceived slight. Not only did he commit to Wake Forest but also convinced another Pennsylvania schoolboy being recruited by both schools to join him, fella by the name of Len Chappell. Ouch.

Then there was the h.s. class of 1964. Duke was believed to be the leader for Catasqua's Larry Miller. But an up-and-comer named Dean Smith just outrecruited the master for Miller. Although it took a few years, the balance of power in the ACC began shifting right then.

Indoor66
12-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Jim -

Other Pennsylvania Dukies: Steve Vacindak, Scranton; Fred Schmidt, Philadelphia; Steve Litz, Pittsburg; Jack Mullen, Weissport; Brent Kitching, Sharon Hill; Ron Herbster, Chester; Dick DiVenzio, Springdale; Dayton Allen, McKeesport; Joe Belmont, Philadelphia; Jack Boyd, Yeaden; Rudy D'Emilo, Philadelphia; Bill Fleming, Philadelphia; Bernie Janicki, Ambridge; Marty Joyce, Philadelphia; Jack Kalbfus, Greensburg; Bill Stark, Lititz; Tom Connelly, Altoona; Harkey Lamley, Havertown; Ronnie Mayer, Avalon; Dave Scarborough, Philadelphia; Tommy Peters, McKeesport; Bill Riegal, Monaca; Paul Schmidt, Johnstown; Don Tobin, Avalon; George Balitsaris; Pittsburg; Harry Bell, Haverford; Tom Cowdrick, Philadelphia; Lou Duvois; Duquesne; Ted Green, Harrisburg; Chuck Holly, Ford City; Bill McCahan, Langhorne; Robert Metzler, Lincoln Park, Bill Mock, Altoona; Bob Moyer, Harrisburg; Bill Parsons, Altoona; Glen Price, Beaver Falls; Ray Spuhler, Johnstown; Cy Valasick, Ford City;

robobevan
12-02-2010, 03:27 PM
You forgot me-I'm from jersey and had some amazingly average games on the IM courts

MChambers
12-02-2010, 03:29 PM
:p:p
Groat was the catalyst. He was quite well known in Pa. and his success at Duke gave the school some name recognition in the state, helping bring in folks like Bernie Janicki, Ronnie Mayer, Joe Belmont, Paul Schmidt and Doug Kistler.

Bubas brought in some good PA guys, Marin, Vacendak, DeVenzio. Brent Kitching was supposed to be a super but never lived up to the hype. Then, of course, Foster brought in Gene Banks, from West Philly.

A few that got away were crucial. Billy Packer called to commit to Duke but Duke was waffling between Packer and another player and asked him to wait. Packer didn't much appreciate the perceived slight. Not only did he commit to Wake Forest but also convinced another Pennsylvania schoolboy being recruited by both schools to join him, fella by the name of Len Chappell. Ouch.

Then there was the h.s. class of 1964. Duke was believed to be the leader for Catasqua's Larry Miller. But an up-and-comer named Dean Smith just outrecruited the master for Miller. Although it took a few years, the balance of power in the ACC began shifting right then.
I was thinking of Bill Bradley, the former US Senator from New Jersey, until I remembered that he was from St. Louis and, although he committed to Duke, never played for Duke.

jimsumner
12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
:p:p
I was thinking of Bill Bradley, the former US Senator from New Jersey, until I remembered that he was from St. Louis and, although he committed to Duke, never played for Duke.

But Bradley also never played for an ACC rival.

Orange&BlackSheep
12-02-2010, 04:13 PM
But Bradley also never played for an ACC rival.

I beg your pardon :p

Orange&BlackSheep
12-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Other Pennsylvania Dukies: Steve Vacindak, Scranton; Fred Schmidt, Philadelphia; Steve Litz, Pittsburg; Jack Mullen, Weissport; Brent Kitching, Sharon Hill; Ron Herbster, Chester; Dick DiVenzio, Springdale; Dayton Allen, McKeesport; Joe Belmont, Philadelphia; Jack Boyd, Yeaden; Rudy D'Emilo, Philadelphia; Bill Fleming, Philadelphia; Bernie Janicki, Ambridge; Marty Joyce, Philadelphia; Jack Kalbfus, Greensburg; Bill Stark, Lititz; Tom Connelly, Altoona; Harkey Lamley, Havertown; Ronnie Mayer, Avalon; Dave Scarborough, Philadelphia; Tommy Peters, McKeesport; Bill Riegal, Monaca; Paul Schmidt, Johnstown; Don Tobin, Avalon; George Balitsaris; Pittsburg; Harry Bell, Haverford; Tom Cowdrick, Philadelphia; Lou Duvois; Duquesne; Ted Green, Harrisburg; Chuck Holly, Ford City; Bill McCahan, Langhorne; Robert Metzler, Lincoln Park, Bill Mock, Altoona; Bob Moyer, Harrisburg; Bill Parsons, Altoona; Glen Price, Beaver Falls; Ray Spuhler, Johnstown; Cy Valasick, Ford City;

Has anybody included Bob Riedy? He is from Allentown, PA and a person difficult to imagine being without. Known him my whole life.

peterjswift
12-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I saw the subject of the thread and was surprised to see Duke changing their uniforms again so soon after their last new jerseys...