PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs Mich St (Dec. 1, 2010)

JBDuke
12-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 84-79 win over Michigan State?

timmy c
12-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Kyrie Irving is not a freshman. He is not. Period.

Fuqua's Finest
12-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Seth Curry? Hahaha

Definitely Mr. Irving. Close thread.

rotogod00
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 84-79 win over Michigan State?

not sure. will get back to you ;-)

CampbellBlueDevil
Poised and Mature
Hungry and Humble
Kyrie Irving

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Kyrie Irving is not a freshman. He is not. Period.
He is a freshman. I'm deciding if he's the best I've ever seen. So few games, such amazing production.

Bob Green
12-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Kyrie Irving is awesome! Enough said.

juise
12-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Another should-be unanimous poll. Wow. Kyrie. Wow.

jv001
12-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Another should-be unanimous poll. Wow. Kyrie. Wow.

to cast their vote for their favorite player and not the acutal MOTM?

dukebluelemur
12-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Poll needs to be edited to removed possibility of accidental votes for anyone not named Irving.

strawbs
12-01-2010, 11:57 PM
if anyone decides to vote for someone other then kyrie, please man up and attempt to justify your pick. Anyone who watched the game tonight knows kyrie was the best player on the floor the entire night and it wasn't even close.

Delaware
12-01-2010, 11:58 PM
The "KId" was amazing tonight.

camion
12-01-2010, 11:58 PM
For once when Dickie V. says, "He's awesome Baby," it's not hyperbole. It's just a stone cold fact.

Jackson
12-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Kyrie is the best freshman I have ever seen! Between the two teams there were three legit first team All Americans on the floor and he was by far the best player in the game. Simply amazing!

jipops
12-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Kyrie played like a 1st team all-american tonight

airowe
12-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Unanimous at this time. Let's hope it stays that way. Kid took over when nobody else would. Deferred when he needed to. Played excellent defense on Lucas.

WOW!

terrih
12-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Until now, I have always looked at the box score before voting here. Not tonight. This was
a clear choice. Kyrie was superb. I must also recognize Andre Dawkins. I thought he played
great defense tonight, made a great pass (or two) along with some good shots. Mason was
excellent also.

SCMatt33
12-02-2010, 12:08 AM
I was most impressed tonight by the space between Kyrie's ears. To be more specific, I thought he did a ridiculously great job of recognizing game situations. He seemed to pick up better than anyone on the floor what the refs were calling and not calling and did it earlier in the game than others. The refs made it pretty clear that an offense aggressor was going to get most of the calls unless someone was wildly out of control or someone was parked in their spot 3 steps before someone got their. There was a point when I saw a lot of guys trying to either force a pass or a jump shot off the dribble, when the refs were clearly rewarding guys going to the hoop. Now, it doesn't hurt that Kyrie can get there better than anyone, but when he recognized it, he started going straight to the rim and was rewarded with a long night at the foul line. As soon as a defender parked in front to take a charge, he hit Dre in the corner for a 3, and when they parked a guy and took the pass away, he simply went around the guy (I still don't know how he made that play) for a spectacular lay up.

BTW, I am also really pleased that his two best games have come against the toughest competition. That's always a pretty good sign.

johnb
12-02-2010, 12:14 AM
He was amazing, particularly when he snaked through traffic and twirled in lay ups.

The strength of this team is that he's not going to be the best player every night, which will make it hard for the other team to come up with game plans. and if they do decide to try to shut him down, singler/smith could easily get 50.

timmy c
12-02-2010, 12:16 AM
He is a freshman. I'm deciding if he's the best I've ever seen. So few games, such amazing production.

He can't be. 31 pts 4 asst. 6 reb 2 stl 2 blks !!! UNREAL

Duke09
12-02-2010, 12:21 AM
81 unanimous votes for Kyrie for MOTM? I never see it be unanimous this many votes in

Dr. Tina
12-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Oh, and throw in the fact he's had a stomach flu the past few days and didn't practice Monday, too.....and THIS is the game he has!!!!

Kyrie is...amazing!

airowe
12-02-2010, 12:27 AM
81 unanimous votes for Kyrie for MOTM? I never see it be unanimous this many votes in

91 votes now.

Andy7207
12-02-2010, 12:28 AM
...anddddd he's trending on twitter.

BlueintheFace
12-02-2010, 12:30 AM
somebody will ruin this.

Bluedog
12-02-2010, 12:52 AM
...anddddd he's trending on twitter.

Hanukkah , Grinch , Kyrie Irving , World AIDS , Chabelo , Grammy Nomination

Bwahahaha. Yeah, 111 votes and still unanimous. This has to be a record.

ajgoodfella7
12-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Coming into the season, I knew Kyrie Irving would eventually be a great college player. I had no idea that he would be the best player on the team by game 7. And that is not hyperbole. He is simply unreal. He is probably the best 2-handed finisher I've ever seen in a freshman. And his ball-handling is simply spectacular. This offense runs so much smoother with the ball in his hands. And this is his 7th career college game!!:p

Lennies
12-02-2010, 01:11 AM
I gave it to Kyrie since the Duke medical staff wasn't a choice. :D

tele
12-02-2010, 02:23 AM
I voted for Mason, a solid double double against a physical MSU team. Plus he had 6 offensive rebounds which helped a lot. I see some people are over the moon with Irving's game, he can score, but he only had 4 assists and had 3 turnovers. The backup point guard for MSU had a better game, IMHO, he had 8 assists with 3 turnovers and scored 20. Could have played had a better defensive effort on him I suppose too, who was guarding him? I don't think Singler, Nolan or Andre got very many assisted shots, would have made for an easier win if they had.

ElSid
12-02-2010, 02:30 AM
I voted for Mason, a solid double double against a physical MSU team. Plus he had 6 offensive rebounds which helped a lot. I see some people are over the moon with Irving's game, he can score, but he only had 4 assists and had 3 turnovers. The backup point guard for MSU had a better game, IMHO, he had 8 assists with 3 turnovers and scored 20. Could have played had a better defensive effort on him I suppose too, who was guarding him? I don't think Singler, Nolan or Andre got very many assisted shots, would have made for an easier win if they had.

fair i guess. except a lot of irving's assists this season happened as a result of people shooting really well and tonight that didn't happen. mason did play quite well and so did his brother when the refs allowed him to play. just feel bad for miles whenever he gets whistled. am i the only one that thinks he's getting persecuted unfairly? just looking like he wants to foul? zoubek went through this forever. eventually figured it out.

4decadedukie
12-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Kyrie's performance last night was simply SUPERB, not for a freshman during his first season's early games, but for any student-athlete, against any team, in any high-pressure environment, at any experience level, and without any reservations.

With this clearly said, I was equally impressed with his brief, post-game ESPN interview, where his humility, articulateness and TEAM-ORIENTATION were readily apparent. Highly successful intercollegiate basketball is certainly about superior athleticism and on-court execution, but it is also requires leadership, selflessness, self-discipline, intelligence, team-focus, chemistry, and continuous improvement; thus far, Mr. Irving demonstrates an abundance of ALL of these characteristics.

Battierfan01
12-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Man, if Harrison Barnes is suppose to be one of the greatest freshmen ever, then I guess that makes Kyrie the GREATEST EVER!! ;)

bjornolf
12-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Kyrie was amazing, and I voted for him. However, I think Mason deserves a HUGE honorable mention. Kyrie was the player of the game, EASILY, but I was sorely tempted to vote for Mason as MAN of the match. Afterall, he had to stand up to a rough Michigan State team basically alone inside after Miles got in foul trouble so early, and he did it with a bum leg at the end.

jv001
12-02-2010, 10:18 AM

But Kyrie was great. Kyrie would have had more assists if Mason and Miles could have hung on to the ball. Matter of fact Mason had 5 turnovers himself. One more than Kyrie who has the ball in his hands lot's more than Mason. I agree that Mason is playing really well and deserves praise for his play, but not MOTM. Go Duke!

JohnGalt
12-02-2010, 10:26 AM
fair i guess. except a lot of irving's assists this season happened as a result of people shooting really well and tonight that didn't happen. mason did play quite well and so did his brother when the refs allowed him to play. just feel bad for miles whenever he gets whistled. am i the only one that thinks he's getting persecuted unfairly? just looking like he wants to foul? zoubek went through this forever. eventually figured it out.

Yea...this year's Shav

BlueintheFace
12-02-2010, 11:23 AM

This is objectively and subjectively untrue, though not surprising as somebody always wants to be a contrarian.

Lennies
12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
just feel bad for miles whenever he gets whistled. am i the only one that thinks he's getting persecuted unfairly? just looking like he wants to foul? zoubek went through this forever. eventually figured it out.

I thought Miles' fourth foul was sheer stupidity on his part. Trying to steal the ball from Lucious, 20 feet from the basket? Doh!

Some of the other fouls were ticky tacky.

Ultrarunner
12-03-2010, 12:06 AM

Miles is trending just like Zoubs. In addition to a solid +/- for the season, he's getting called for fouls when he takes off his warm-ups.

Needs the beard.

gep
12-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Miles is trending just like Zoubs. In addition to a solid +/- for the season, he's getting called for fouls when he takes off his warm-ups.

Needs the beard.

Maybe the Christmas break :cool: