PDA

View Full Version : Duke v Michigan State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

loran16
11-30-2010, 02:14 AM
There isn't a thread for this already? (If there is, please merge).

Just to get excitement up for this game, check out the line already at wilson (courtesy of DukeBluePlanet):

http://i55.twitgoo.com/2rrno6r.jpg

LETS GO DEVILS!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Very cool, Cameron Crazies, very cool! (clap, clap)
Very cool, Cameron Crazies, very cool!

Watch yourselves tonight when the thunderstorms come through after midnight. I'm sure the line monitors (or University officials) will move you indoors for a while. :cool:

OldPhiKap
11-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Very cool, Cameron Crazies, very cool! (clap, clap)
Very cool, Cameron Crazies, very cool!

Watch yourselves tonight when the thunderstorms come through after midnight. I'm sure the line monitors (or University officials) will move you indoors for a while. :cool:

"Red skies in the morning, Spartans take warning"

moonpie23
11-30-2010, 09:33 AM
we are riding pretty high right now, but make no mistake......izzo is gonna come with everything he's got......

let's hope our guys are ready...... !!!!

go duke....!!!

CEF1959
11-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Agreed. Both Izzo and the press will be making much of Duke's 80 game home winning streak against non-conference opponents. It's not a record, but it's a lot, and it's definitely on the line. MSU will be ready. We will be too. It'll come down to execution and the ability to put that orange round thingy into the little hoop thingy. We shot 42 percent from the floor Saturday in the first half against Oregon. If we do that for the game on Wednesday, and MSU gets hot -- shooting say 60 percent -- there could be issues.

Kedsy
11-30-2010, 10:03 AM
We shot 42 percent from the floor Saturday in the first half against Oregon. If we do that for the game on Wednesday, and MSU gets hot -- shooting say 60 percent -- there could be issues.

Well, if we shoot 40% and our defense is getting torched to the tune of 60%, we'll deserve the issues. I'm cautiously optimistic that won't happen. Really I'm just hoping we play well on both ends of the floor. It's still just December 1. Plenty of season to go.

camion
11-30-2010, 10:10 AM
I believe I have way to guarantee a win over Michigan State.

Dress the crazies in light blue t-shirts and light blue-hair wigs. Have them sit on their hands and whisper their cheers. Unveil new light blue uniforms just for this game. MSU will think they're playing UNC and roll over. Game won.

I think it would work, but I also think it's so morally and aesthetically repugnant we could never do it. :eek:

Cell-R
11-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Let's go Duke!!!! Should be a great game! Or at least I hope so. Last night was much warmer than Sunday night in the line... Sadly it seems like we might be swimming tonight! Oh well.

Group 10 represent! (Right behind the second street light with the green chair!)

NSDukeFan
11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Agreed. Both Izzo and the press will be making much of Duke's 80 game home winning streak against non-conference opponents. It's not a record, but it's a lot, and it's definitely on the line. MSU will be ready. We will be too. It'll come down to execution and the ability to put that orange round thingy into the little hoop thingy. We shot 42 percent from the floor Saturday in the first half against Oregon. If we do that for the game on Wednesday, and MSU gets hot -- shooting say 60 percent -- there could be issues.

My feeling is that I would hope that Duke would win most games when they are shooting 42 percent from the floor. I would hope the team would lock down defensively and create enough turnovers to win a game like that, even against a top tier team. I would worry more about a team that outrebounds Duke by quite a bit getting a big advantage that way. Fortunately, MSU does not seem to have hit their stride in the rebounding department yet this year, but their center Nix is now back. They were in the top 10 in the NCAA in offensive rebounding percentage the last 4 years, but currently rank 109th at 35.2% http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Michigan%20St.
I expect that is something MSU will improve on as the year progresses, hopefully it won't start against Duke.

dukebsbll14
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Let's go Duke!!!! Should be a great game! Or at least I hope so. Last night was much warmer than Sunday night in the line... Sadly it seems like we might be swimming tonight! Oh well.

Group 10 represent! (Right behind the second street light with the green chair!)

Group 10 wadduupp!!!!

Yeah, uh, our non-tent structure will hold up. Should be fun tonight...and tomorrow night for sure.

Bob Green
11-30-2010, 11:04 AM
In this article (http://www.freep.com/article/20101130/SPORTS07/11300427/1055/sports07/Izzo-says-he-wants-more-focus-from-his-team), at the Detroit Free Press, Tom Izzo expresses frustration with turnovers and rebounding:

"I think it's a lack of concentration"

Both Duke and Michigan State have been on the road, which makes it difficult to practice. With this ACC - Big Ten Challenge game being at Cameron, I'm confident Duke will pull out the victory. I'm equally confident Michigan State will make us earn it.

superdave
11-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm looking forward to this game because I expect Michigan State to be physical. We need a game like this before the ACC. It's a good thing to figure out how to finish a shot in the lane with some Big Ten hooligan draped over your shoulder. It's a skill that will serve us well going forward.

Also, I really look forward to watching Irving vs. Kalin Lucas who is averaging 17.5 ppg and 47.8% on 3s. Maybe he'll provide the challenege that Pullen did not.

Super "Respek, Tom Izzo, Respek" Dave

superdave
11-30-2010, 11:58 AM
MICHIGAN STATE AT DUKE (ESPN, 9:30 ET)

Bilas: Duke -- Michigan State is turning it over too much right now, and Duke's defensive pressure should capitalize.
Brennan: Duke -- After Duke’s dominant win over Kansas State and Michigan State’s sluggish start in Maui, the Blue Devils look miles ahead of the field. This early in the season, the Spartans won’t be able to close the gap in Cameron.
Fraschilla: Duke -- Tough place for ANYONE to win.
Gottlieb: Duke -- Derrick Nix is back and he should help with the depth of Michigan State inside, but MSU struggled with the quickness of Washington and UConn. Duke's pressure and athleticism is similar.
Katz: Duke -- The Spartans aren’t in March form yet, while the Blue Devils look like they’ve already made plans for Houston.
Leung: Duke -- In case you missed the CBE Classic, the Blue Devils are just better than everyone else right now.
Lunardi: Duke -- Won't make the same mistake of picking against Duke this week.
O’Neil: Michigan State -- I'll admit I'm not 100 percent in on this pick, especially with Duke playing at home. But after a few humbling visits to the other part of Tobacco Road in recent years, a disappointing loss to UConn and a tongue-lashing after a lackluster effort against Tennessee Tech, I think the Spartans are due for a show-me win.
Williams: Duke -- Duke is hands-down the best team in the country and the energy within Cameron will be too much for Michigan State to handle.

davekay1971
11-30-2010, 12:08 PM

Bilas: Duke -- Michigan State is turning it over too much right now, and Duke's defensive pressure should capitalize.
Brennan: Duke -- After Duke’s dominant win over Kansas State and Michigan State’s sluggish start in Maui, the Blue Devils look miles ahead of the field. This early in the season, the Spartans won’t be able to close the gap in Cameron.
Gottlieb: Duke -- Derrick Nix is back and he should help with the depth of Michigan State inside, but MSU struggled with the quickness of Washington and UConn. Duke's pressure and athleticism is similar.
Katz: Duke -- The Spartans aren’t in March form yet, while the Blue Devils look like they’ve already made plans for Houston.
Leung: Duke -- In case you missed the CBE Classic, the Blue Devils are just better than everyone else right now.
O’Neil: Michigan State -- I'll admit I'm not 100 percent in on this pick, especially with Duke playing at home. But after a few humbling visits to the other part of Tobacco Road in recent years, a disappointing loss to UConn and a tongue-lashing after a lackluster effort against Tennessee Tech, I think the Spartans are due for a show-me win.
Williams: Duke -- Duke is hands-down the best team in the country and the energy within Cameron will be too much for Michigan State to handle.

If O'Neil had picked us, making it a perfect sweep of the ESPN "Experts", we'd be completely hosed!

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to this game as a learning opportunity for our team. Izzo's squads tend to play good, disciplined, intense basketball. Win or lose, this is a great December game for us. That said, let's go out and beat down Sparty!

Bluedog
11-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I expect Michigan State's veteran leaders to have the rest of their teammates ready to play in this one. They'll be hyped up, but not too hyped to be out of control. They understand that nobody is giving them a chance to beat us, so will use that as motivation and have a "nothing to lose" mentality. That's always dangerous. Having said that, I still expect us to pull out a hard fought victory. I'll be interested to see how we contain Lucas. I think we'll pull out to a quick 20-9 lead or something of that nature, and then MSU will close the gap by halftime to around 5. The lead will vary between 5 and 15 at that point and we win with a 10-point victory. Underestimate Izzo-coached teams at your own peril. We could be in trouble if we have a poor shooting night. And we need our bigs to stay out of foul trouble, even though I suspect we'll play Kyle at the 4 for portions.

Duke of Nashville
11-30-2010, 12:25 PM

Wait, did Gottlieb just use Duke and Athletic is the same sentence? Although he doesn't exactly come out in say that Duke is just as athletic as Washington and UCONN, you know it hurt him deep down to admit that.

PADukeMom
11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Wish I was there! My son called me to say he got us tickets for the game for "only" $2,000/ticket. I love DUKE & dream of seeing a game at Cameron but that is insane! He also didn't take into consideration that we are never allowed to watch a major game together. That is jinx city for us.
I'm going to NYC on Saturday, made the plans in July completely forgetting the Butler game. Never fear though, I will have my DUKE jersey on the couch with my iced tea in my DUKE mug & Fritos. I know we will be hitting alot of bars I just wonder if NYC is ready for an insane DUKE fan.

Bluedog
11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Wait, did Gottlieb just use Duke and Athletic is the same sentence? Although he doesn't exactly come out in say that Duke is just as athletic as Washington and UCONN, you know it hurt him deep down to admit that.

Gottlieb actually mocked himself somewhat in one of the broadcasts, saying "Duke is alarmingly athletic" (and then smiling), obviously alluding to his comment from last year. I used to dislike Gottlieb intensely - strangely enough, he's actually grown on me and is one of my favorite commentators. He tells it like he sees it and doesn't sugarcoat things. And he can admit when he's wrong. Also, when he calls games (usually for some mid-major school), you can tell he really researches the players (that nobody else would know) and has a firm understanding of the game. He actually has some keen insight into the game. I greatly prefer Gottlieb to Hubert or Digger...

moonpie23
11-30-2010, 12:42 PM
i am a bit worried about how we handled the ore press......we coughed it up a couple of times and msu will try to take it to us like that...

NSDukeFan
11-30-2010, 12:47 PM
I found it interesting when looking at MSU's results that Draymond Green (6'6 their 3rd leading scorer and leader in both assists and rebounds) comes off the bench for them as does Korie Lucious (4th in scoring, second in assists.) They start a smaller line-up than Duke, where I would imagine Kyle will be guarding Durrell Summers (6'4 2nd leading scorer) to start with Kyrie and Nolan guarding Lucas and Austin Thornton (6'4) and Mason and Ryan guarding Garrick Sherman (6'10 C) and Delvon Roe (6'8). Green and Luscious play more minutes than Sherman and Thornton, much like Dawkins, Curry and Miles are playing more than Kelly on Duke's team.

This could be an interesting game match-up wise as both teams have some depth (MSU with 9 players averaging 10mpg or more + Nix at 8mpg) and both teams have so far used smaller line-ups more often. MSU's top 5 players in mpg are: Summers 29.2, Lucas 29.0, Green 27.8, Lucious 24.6 and Roe 23.5. Their center (Sherman) is next at 19.5 mpg. This would appear to be a good line-up for Dawkins to see quite a bit of time at the 3, but Green may be a tough matchup. I would expect Kyle to guard Green most of the time he is in and Summers may be a tough, good match-up for Andre.

I am also interested to see how Lucas does against our back court, who did a great job vs. Pullen. They will then have played against arguably the top 2 guards in the country outside of Durham.

Should be an exciting game.

jipops
11-30-2010, 12:56 PM
I want us to get the win badly, but of even more importance is to get through this game healthy. It's going to be a battle and a physical one. Win or lose, it will still be early December. Just stay healthy guys. Honestly, if we end up losing without any major bumps or bruises I'll still sleep very soundly.

Aside from that, Mich St's recent turnover issues keep coming up but we've had a number of them as well lately. Nolan specifically seems to have struggled with his floor game a bit so far. I would like to see us take care of the ball a little bit better. The more shots we can get, the better.

uh_no
11-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Grace is rarely given for the walkup line, there is no policy in place for grace (so far as I know). We'll just say in my 3 years of waiting in line, we never had grace. That said, I'm sure the line monitors will take the safety of the crazies first and foremost and if an electrical storm were to come through, either grace would be given, or the line would be moved into cameron.

dukeENG2003
11-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Unless its an official campout game (which I don't believe this one is) there will be no official grace unless its something they all just as a group decide to arrange.

For example, in Indy, we agreed as a group in line to number ourselves and scatter around the stadium (to be called if anyone wanted to) to allow people to camp out under the will call shelters in the storm (it was a severe thunderstorm warning if not a tornado warning, it was a HUGE storm).

Duke of Nashville
11-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Gottlieb actually mocked himself somewhat in one of the broadcasts, saying "Duke is alarmingly athletic" (and then smiling), obviously alluding to his comment from last year. I used to dislike Gottlieb intensely - strangely enough, he's actually grown on me and is one of my favorite commentators. He tells it like he sees it and doesn't sugarcoat things. And he can admit when he's wrong. Also, when he calls games (usually for some mid-major school), you can tell he really researches the players (that nobody else would know) and has a firm understanding of the game. He actually has some keen insight into the game. I greatly prefer Gottlieb to Hubert or Digger...

Good stuff. I agree with Gottlieb telling it like he sees it--although I can differ in his opinions at times-- and he does appear to do his research. But when you compare him to Hubert or Digger he is godsend, even with the occasional low blow.

Who are the commentators for tomorrow night's game?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Unless its an official campout game (which I don't believe this one is) there will be no official grace unless its something they all just as a group decide to arrange.

For example, in Indy, we agreed as a group in line to number ourselves and scatter around the stadium (to be called if anyone wanted to) to allow people to camp out under the will call shelters in the storm (it was a severe thunderstorm warning if not a tornado warning, it was a HUGE storm).
Y'all are smart kids. When they issue the thunderstorm and/or tornado warnings tonight, number yourselves and get indoors, OK? Nuff said.

-bdbd
11-30-2010, 02:21 PM
I found it interesting when looking at MSU's results that Draymond Green (6'6 their 3rd leading scorer and leader in both assists and rebounds) comes off the bench for them as does Korie Lucious (4th in scoring, second in assists.) They start a smaller line-up than Duke, where I would imagine Kyle will be guarding Durrell Summers (6'4 2nd leading scorer) to start with Kyrie and Nolan guarding Lucas and Austin Thornton (6'4) and Mason and Ryan guarding Garrick Sherman (6'10 C) and Delvon Roe (6'8). Green and Luscious play more minutes than Sherman and Thornton, much like Dawkins, Curry and Miles are playing more than Kelly on Duke's team.

This could be an interesting game match-up wise as both teams have some depth (MSU with 9 players averaging 10mpg or more + Nix at 8mpg) and both teams have so far used smaller line-ups more often. MSU's top 5 players in mpg are: Summers 29.2, Lucas 29.0, Green 27.8, Lucious 24.6 and Roe 23.5. Their center (Sherman) is next at 19.5 mpg. This would appear to be a good line-up for Dawkins to see quite a bit of time at the 3, but Green may be a tough matchup. I would expect Kyle to guard Green most of the time he is in and Summers may be a tough, good match-up for Andre.

I am also interested to see how Lucas does against our back court, who did a great job vs. Pullen. They will then have played against arguably the top 2 guards in the country outside of Durham.

Should be an exciting game.

This is the very definition of an early-season marquee game. It would surprise nobody to see these two squads matched up again in Houston the first weekend of April... My suspicion is that MSU will be more ready at that point than they appear to be this early in the season. You have to respect Izzo's ability to have his teams ready come March. All that said, the network has to just love this match-up as the headliner for the ACC---Big-10/11/12 Challenge!

When MSU knocked us out of the NCAA's just a few years ago, as I recall they made it a very physical game and essentially beat us up and wore us down. That is a fairly consistent formula for Izzo. So expect a tough interior game. Since we entered the season expecting the front line/interior (and the depth there) to be our least-strong aspect - I'm leary of using the term "weakness" since we're still pretty solid, if maybe somewhat thin - this should be a great test for MP2, MP1 and Kelly. Let's avoid early fouls guys and keep the rebounding numbers close.

But I do expect our guards to have a decent advantage over MSU's guards, and look for lots of MSU turnovers. Is it just me, or does MSU seem to have a poor match-up for guarding Singler? This should be a terrific game.

Go Devils!!

loran16
11-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Y'all are smart kids. When they issue the thunderstorm and/or tornado warnings tonight, number yourselves and get indoors, OK? Nuff said.

It'll take actual tornado warnings for them to move indoors Ozzie. That's the way it is.

Oh and I have word that the line has already reached the IM Building and thus will soon, if not already, start to snake around to reach the tennis courts.

Channing
11-30-2010, 02:31 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch MSU this year - how does Lucas look? Coming back from an achiles injury is no small task.

Also, watching the last few games, it seems like Nolan has become a bit of a ballhog. There were several plays where he forced an ill advised shot rather than kicking to a wide open man. I know K stresses assertiveness with Nolan, but I would like to see him be assertive within the game's flow rather than wasting posessions with ill advised shots and turnovers.

CameronConvert
11-30-2010, 02:32 PM
It'll take actual tornado warnings for them to move indoors Ozzie. That's the way it is.

Oh and I have word that the line has already reached the IM Building and thus will soon, if not already, start to snake around to reach the tennis courts.

Over 100 students were in line...Sunday night. Probably closer to 300 right now. It's gonna be rocking in Cameron tomorrow.

Saratoga2
11-30-2010, 02:44 PM
My feeling is that I would hope that Duke would win most games when they are shooting 42 percent from the floor. I would hope the team would lock down defensively and create enough turnovers to win a game like that, even against a top tier team. I would worry more about a team that outrebounds Duke by quite a bit getting a big advantage that way. Fortunately, MSU does not seem to have hit their stride in the rebounding department yet this year, but their center Nix is now back. They were in the top 10 in the NCAA in offensive rebounding percentage the last 4 years, but currently rank 109th at 35.2% http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Michigan%20St.
I expect that is something MSU will improve on as the year progresses, hopefully it won't start against Duke.

We did a poor job of guarding the three against Oregon. There were a lot of wide open shots that Oregon missed. Clearly Duke needs to get back quickly and know who they are guarding. Perhaps the constant lineup changes by Duke had something to do with the confusion on defense, but there will be less margin for error with MSU. Expect them to run and to play hard for 40 minutes. Its my opinion that Duke has more potent guards and wing and the bigs inside are a wash. This will be a good early season test and we will be favored.

theAlaskanBear
11-30-2010, 02:51 PM

Sometimes Gottlieb shows half a brain, and other times he attacks the NCAA ruling and argues that Kanter should be ruled eligible despite taking money simply because it will increase exposure and marketing in Turkey. :confused: At least we know where his morals are.

diveonthefloor
11-30-2010, 04:43 PM
:confused: At least we know where his morals are.

Yeah, we also got a good whiff of his morals when he stole the credit cards and got kicked out of Notre Dame. :cool:

watzone
11-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Hot off the press - Kyle Singler addressed the media just minutes ago - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/kyle-singler-addresses-the-media-before-the-michigan-state-game/

watzone
11-30-2010, 05:41 PM
And here is the exchange with Andre Dawkins for those interested - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/dukes-andre-dawkins-talks-michigan-state/

dukemsu
11-30-2010, 07:01 PM
As the board's resident Spartan, figured I'd contribute a scouting report.

First, the pick-Duke gets out early with the initial blitz, State finds their legs and counterpunches, but Duke pulls away late and wins by 10-12. The Spartans turnover issues and their lack of cohesion (due to a ridiculously injury-ridden offseason and early season) will haunt them in this one.

Lucas looks like a different player from before the injury. He has lost some of his quickness and has gained a lot of strength. His shot is also more accurate from 3 point range. He will not spend much time guarding Irving-Korie Lucious, a quicker defensive player, has drawn that assignment. Durrell Summers, the shooting guard, remains State's wildcard-when he's on, the Spartans are lethal. He reminds me a bit of Ben Gordon-a massive talent who has a tendency to float. He does tend to show up when the lights are bright.

The matchup Duke should be concerned with is Draymond Green. Green has been coming off the bench, largely to save him from foul trouble, but he may start tomorrow. Green reminds me much of Carrawell in that he fills multiple roles and is the toughest guy in most any room he walks into (Kyle will give him competition tomorrow). Green has added the 17-20 foot J to his game, and remains the team's best rebounder. If Green stays out of trouble, Duke does not have a player to match his strength and quickness combination.

Delvon Roe has drawn the Singler assignment and will have plenty of help. Adreian Payne may also chase Kyle some, based solely on his speed and length. You may also see Austin Thornton and Mike Kebler as defensive specialists. Thornton is a good 3 point shooter, but Kebler will probably have his arm broken by a teammate if he takes a jump shot.

The Spartans have not hit their stride on the glass as of yet, thought they did start to right the ship against Washington. And although Cameron is not a forgiving place for a freshman, Keith Appling may use tomorrow as his bow on the national stage. Appling is a very talented offensive player and has been cited by Izzo as the most impressive defensive freshman guard he's coached, including Cleaves.

State has no one to stay in front of Irving, and Izzo will not zone Duke at all. Irving should be able to get by his man, draw help, and find players on the perimeter for wide-open looks. I doubt the bigs will shade off of Mason much.

Should be a fun game for sure. Wish I could be there.

dukemsu

Waynne
11-30-2010, 09:32 PM
I know K's strategy is to force MSU to match-up w/ us, but the flip side of the coin is that Summers (6-4), Green (6-6), and Roe (6-8) present tough match-ups for us. Kyle can guard any one of the three, but Nolan will have his hands full with Summers and the Plumlees and Ryan will have a tough time chasing Roe. If Andre is playing well we could see a lot of him because he can probably stay with either Summers or Green, leaving Kyle to guard Roe.

Overall we have played somewhat better than Michigan State so far this year so we should win, especially because we are playing in Cameron. Should be a tough, bruising game, and if MSU plays well it could be close.

uh_no
11-30-2010, 09:59 PM

the line doesn't go near the IM building, it goes straight until it hits the tennis center and then turns to surround Kville

Corroborating your claims: at 2:30 this afternoon it was at the far corner

given: it is VERY spread out because of the tarps/mattresses/chairs, but my guess is somewhere between 2-400 students in line

J4Kop99
11-30-2010, 10:01 PM
I just hope Kyrie doesn't get ahead of himself tomorrow night. So far this season he has gone through a few stages where he plays WAY too fast. He can't get into early foul trouble. I understand what he has shown thus far, especially in the showdown with K-State but a game like tomorrow night (in cameron) is going to be the most pressure-filled situation of his young career. I have confidence that he will play very well but there's still a part of me that thinks he can't be this good, this quick. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic?

Izzo will have his guys ready to play, that's for sure. Whenever I think of big games like this though, my mind immediatly goes back to senior night in 2006. Our guys came out with too much intensity and couldn't sustain their play for the entire game. Redick was lights out at the beginning and it went all downhill from there.

But I digress... I think Duke has more talent, the better coach(and that's certainly saying something), the home crowd, and most importantly, the health. Duke wins a tough one.

Cell-R
11-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Check out the attached picture! Wooh! Can't wait for the game tomorrow!

uh_no
12-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Check out the attached picture! Wooh! Can't wait for the game tomorrow!

that's new

i've never seen someone decorate a tarp like that....obviously tents cling to the players numbers, but this is the first i've seen of it happening in the walk up line too

cool

ice-9
12-01-2010, 12:56 AM
I would worry more about a team that outrebounds Duke by quite a bit getting a big advantage that way. Fortunately, MSU does not seem to have hit their stride in the rebounding department yet this year, but their center Nix is now back. They were in the top 10 in the NCAA in offensive rebounding percentage the last 4 years, but currently rank 109th at 35.2% http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Michigan%20St.

They did get their big man back from suspension in their last game against Tennessee Tech -- a 6'8, 280 pound bruiser in Derrick Nix who averaged 12 rebounds per 40 minutes last season as a freshman.

Cell-R
12-01-2010, 09:48 AM

Annndddd we had a tornado warning last night! Got to take a taxi back to east at 4am... Now we are all back - our tarps are destroyed and would probably function better as submarines. At least that was the last night. Tonight = GAMETIME!

uh_no
12-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Annndddd we had a tornado warning last night! Got to take a taxi back to east at 4am... Now we are all back - our tarps are destroyed and would probably function better as submarines. At least that was the last night. Tonight = GAMETIME!

to clarify for everyone else: grace was given until 9am

Daniel tosh
12-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Tonights game commentators are Dan Shulman and...Dickie V.Ugh not again.

wilson
12-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Dickie V.Ugh not again.No offense is meant by this question, but are you a newly-minted Duke fan? Vitale has called fully half of our games for the past 20 years or so (Not for nothing do they derisively call him "Dukie V".). I find him annoying too for the most part, but you'd better just get used to it.

Daniel tosh
12-01-2010, 10:19 AM
No offense is meant by this question, but are you a newly-minted Duke fan? Vitale has called fully half of our games for the past 20 years or so (Not for nothing do they derisively call him "Dukie V".). I find him annoying too for the most part, but you'd better just get used to it.

No offense taken,Im not a new Duke fan,and I love that he praises Duke and Coach K the way he does.He just goes a little overboard sometimes and gets annoying.

The game tonight should be a great game and the Crazies should give us a huge advantage,would like to see Seth get back track tonight.How he,Andre,and Ryan play could be the key to the game.

moonpie23
12-01-2010, 10:20 AM
i like listening to the radio broadcast.....it's about 2 seconds ahead of the TV..(4 if you have uverse)

hey, i guess i missed it.....but what is up with bob harris?

Bob Green
12-01-2010, 10:20 AM

I'll be sure and test operate my mute button prior to game time. Vitale is beyond irritating and I cannot listen to him as he ruins the game experience. Once a year, I utilize the "Contact Us" feature on ESPN to request they fire Vitale. So far, they aren't listening to me.

Duke of Nashville
12-01-2010, 10:27 AM

IT'S AWESOME BABY!!!! I, as well as many others, find Vital to be very annoying. But it helps me to think that there is no one else like him, will never be anyone else like him, and we should enjoy it--regardless of how painful it may be--while it lasts. The man is a legend in the booth and has paid his dues to the game.

I can only hope Bob Knight hangs around the broadcasting booth long enough to get more Duke Basketball games. I enjoy his commentary. It's clear, precise, and I feel like I learn something every game whether it be a story or technique.

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 10:30 AM
For my 21st birthday I would like a decisive Duke win. That is all.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-01-2010, 10:51 AM
No offense taken,Im not a new Duke fan,and I love that he praises Duke and Coach K the way he does.He just goes a little overboard sometimes and gets annoying.

The game tonight should be a great game and the Crazies should give us a huge advantage,would like to see Seth get back track tonight.How he,Andre,and Ryan play could be the key to the game.

Dickie V drives me up the wall from time to time. Granted yes, he does go out of his way to lavish praise on our shade of blue, but his tangents have gotten longer-winded and further flung over the last 25 years. And someone should explain to him that the word "special" loses its meaning when used three times a minute. I really don't need to know all the family details about the high school coach that a bench player who overcame the odds and his mother's cooking and his brother the stock broker and how the kid has some really interesting hobbies.... etc etc etc

Frequently the game gets lost in the shuffle for minutes at a time.

He gushes about other programs too, but has a "special" place in his heart for Duke. I can't imagine how annoying it would be if you were a non-Duke fan.

Whatever - I'm watching tonight at the bar where I won't be able to hear the commentary anyway.

hq2
12-01-2010, 10:53 AM
They'll bang, we'll run, we'll win. No sound tonight; can't take Vitale any more. He's become a total babbling idiot (not that he was ever anything else!)

Billy Dat
12-01-2010, 11:30 AM
As the board's resident Spartan, figured I'd contribute a scouting report.

The matchup Duke should be concerned with is Draymond Green. Green has been coming off the bench, largely to save him from foul trouble, but he may start tomorrow. Green reminds me much of Carrawell in that he fills multiple roles and is the toughest guy in most any room he walks into (Kyle will give him competition tomorrow). Green has added the 17-20 foot J to his game, and remains the team's best rebounder. If Green stays out of trouble, Duke does not have a player to match his strength and quickness combination.

dukemsu - thanks for this insightful scouting report.

If we have shown a defensive weakness this year, it has been allowing too many wide open 3 point shots and guarding 6'7" players with a face-up/slashing game. Marquette's Jimmy Butler and K-State's Curtis Kelly gave us big problems, so I think your comments about Green are well founded.

This MSU team seems to shoot the 3 pretty well. If I am Izzo, I try and get some good early looks to see if my team can knock them down. I also try and make Duke's frontline carry the scoring load by limiting clean 3 point looks and transition.

Reddevil
12-01-2010, 11:57 AM
dukemsu - thanks for this insightful scouting report.

If we have shown a defensive weakness this year, it has been allowing too many wide open 3 point shots and guarding 6'7" players with a face-up/slashing game. Marquette's Jimmy Butler and K-State's Curtis Kelly gave us big problems, so I think your comments about Green are well founded.

This MSU team seems to shoot the 3 pretty well. If I am Izzo, I try and get some good early looks to see if my team can knock them down. I also try and make Duke's frontline carry the scoring load by limiting clean 3 point looks and transition.

Yes, but the Spartans will have to deal with the "shake and bake" of Kyrie and Nolan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wacmF9_6WqU&feature=related

Kedsy
12-01-2010, 12:15 PM
He's become a total babbling idiot (not that he was ever anything else!)

Actually, if you ever have a chance to watch an old (20 or so years ago) game on ESPN Classic with Vitale announcing, you'll be shocked by how good he was. Hardly any shouting, real basketball insights, and few enough unrelated stories (which also were less unrelated than they are now) that they're interesting. You'll barely even recognize his voice.

He was a top basketball analyst at one time. It's just that at this point he's become a caricature of himself.

lotusland
12-01-2010, 12:15 PM
I'll be sure and test operate my mute button prior to game time. Vitale is beyond irritating and I cannot listen to him as he ruins the game experience. Once a year, I utilize the "Contact Us" feature on ESPN to request they fire Vitale. So far, they aren't listening to me.

I like Vitale but admittedly he provides less in the form of actual analysis and more kitsch than 10 years ago. It's funny to me how different fans react to announcers. I like to lurk on the Cats Pause board because they are amusingly unhinged and I find it interesting that, generally speaking, they hate Bobby Night as an announcer and love Jay Bilas. I know Jay always defends himself well on here as far as going overboard to appear unbiased but I can't help but take the UK love as an indictment.;)

flyingdutchdevil
12-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Nice piece by Dana O'Neil about tonight's match-up. Primarily focuses on MSU and Izzo, but it's worth reading for the Izzo quotes. Izzo grows on me year after year. Easily my number two coach in the game

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5865980

Duke: A Dynasty
12-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Singler/Smith/Irving are too much for anyone, then throw in the Plum's, Dawkins, Curry and it's a nightmare for anyone!

Go Duke!
=======
the Plumlees' and dawkins arent that good...duke thrives on singler smith and irving....those 3 are the key to that team winning again

A conversation on espn about the Duke vs Michigan State game tonight. Sounds like someone is in denial about Dukes team outside of our 3 starting backcourt players.

diesel
12-01-2010, 01:24 PM

I feel exactly like Bob, but my condition is worse: the mute button on my remote doesn't work! I guess I'll have to turn the sound off completely. Ah well, I wasn't getting the details of the game I needed from Vitale anyway.

It pains me to think that if Vitale is doing all our games I shall have to wait to Xmas until my son the IT engineer (Supergeek) arrives to fix my unnecessarily complex surround sound system with the problematic universal remote.

It likewise pains me to think how few games I see with the General commenting. I actually learn something from his participation.

We're the best team in the land. Why can't we have the best commentator?

PADukeMom
12-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Who would you rather announce the game, Dickie V or Billy Packer?:cool:

12-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Dickie V all day. I love him! He is one of my favorite announcers for games. I find him entertaining with all the shouting and his antics.

Rudy
12-01-2010, 01:49 PM
You're asking whether I would rather be annoyed at too much back story and no attention to the game or infuriated at the constant negativity toward players and teams? I'll take annoyed, since Dickie V is at least enthusiastic. Knight, of course, is far preferred to any other color commentator currently on the scene.

lotusland
12-01-2010, 01:54 PM

Anyone but Packer. I've never been so relieved at anyone's retirement as Packer. You could argue that they are both Buffoons but at least Dickie V. is affable. The dictionary has a picture of Billy Packer beside the term blowhard.

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 01:55 PM
I like Vitale... I'm not going to hate on a guy that loves Duke.

And how about Skip Bayless and Tim Legler picking Izzo over K. Apparently Izzo's defensive coaching is far superior to Coach K's.

borodevil16
12-01-2010, 01:58 PM
And how about Skip Bayless and Tim Legler picking Izzo over K. Apparently Izzo's defensive coaching is far superior to Coach K's.

I was just about to bring this up because i just saw it on tv. I couldn't believe it. Im not the biggest skip fan anyway but i just wasn't expecting the izzo pick from both of them and then the reasoning behind it.

COYS
12-01-2010, 01:59 PM

This is especially hilarious considering that Skip Bayless recently claimed that Coach K was second only to Bill Belichick in the Best Coach on the Planet contest.

deezl
12-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Apparently they forgot about that drubbing they received against UNC in the finals two years ago. I don't ever see a Duke team getting their @ss beat like that in the Finals.

COYS
12-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Apparently they forgot about that drubbing they received against UNC in the finals two years ago. I don't ever see a Duke team getting their @ss beat like that in the Finals.

Well, hopefully we won't ever see a FUTURE Duke team get beat like that: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/11/AR2007031101316.html

sagegrouse
12-01-2010, 02:03 PM

Well, I was there at McNichols Arena in 1990, and it was very painful.

sagegrouse

deezl
12-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Well, hopefully we won't ever see a FUTURE Duke team get beat like that: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/11/AR2007031101316.html

I guess I permanently removed that from my memory. :(

Starter
12-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I like Vitale too, and there is no way ESPN would ever fire him. Polarizing as he may be, he's the most recognizable and marketable announcer they have, unless Len Elmore or Mike Patrick miraculously begin to appear in Hooters ads or whatever. Patrick is far worse to listen to than Vitale, by the way, and that's a guy who likes Duke just as much if not more.

I do echo what people have said, get Vitale away from the schtick and he really does know his stuff. I remember hearing him once on an ESPN Radio interview while in high school, and with the shouting toned down, he really came off as knowledgeable and informed. As I'm sure he is.

uh_no
12-01-2010, 02:15 PM

I hope you're being sarcastic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

Duvall
12-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Current students: Are you going to sit back and take this kind of abuse? (http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox/status/10048455892279297)

IrishDevil
12-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Current students: Are you going to sit back and take this kind of abuse? (http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox/status/10048455892279297)

This would be great put on the homepage to make sure it gets to the crazies. Hope Mr. Green isn't too fond of his eardrums!

uh_no
12-01-2010, 02:22 PM

lol...a weekend campout for season tickets vs 3 days for one game?

tell him to come back in 2 months

Chitowndevil
12-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Interestingly enough, Vitale annoys me much more now that I hear Bob Knight calling games on a regular basis. It is just so refreshing having an announcer whose commentary is focused on, and consistently insightful about, the current action on the floor. Based on several comments above I think I'm not the only one!

brumby041
12-01-2010, 02:45 PM
This is especially hilarious considering that Skip Bayless recently claimed that Coach K was second only to Bill Belichick in the Best Coach on the Planet contest.

Except, of course, K doesn't cheat...

PumpkinFunk
12-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Nope. Not at all. We'll get the word out to everyone, I'm sure.

Cell-R
12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Nope. Not at all. We'll get the word out to everyone, I'm sure.

Yep. Just sent it to the admin of the cameroncrazies listserv. On it's way.

RoyalBlue08
12-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Sorry that this is so far off topic, but I thought of it while reading everyone's posts about the various ESPN color commentators. Watching the UVA game on Monday night I really thought Doris Burke did a great job and was very insightful. I'm not sure I had really noticed this before, probably because she doesn't get to do the bigger matchups. But I would take her over 4/5ths of the guys on the list ahead of her in the ESPN pecking order, including Vitale.

uh_no
12-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Yep. Just sent it to the admin of the cameroncrazies listserv. On it's way.

I'd assume it'll get out, but you might want to send it direct to HLM john reynolds (he's probably the cc listserv admin....but just in case)

Cell-R
12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I'd assume it'll get out, but you might want to send it direct to HLM john reynolds (he's probably the cc listserv admin....but just in case)

Okay, thanks - I did.

Mal
12-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Someone may have mentioned it upthread, but I read a couple previews of the game in the Detroit/Lansing papers, and Izzo's coaching strategy for his team this year is the proof in the pudding of K's coaching methods and motivational skills. It sounds like Izzo's basically hounding his guys every day by telling them they need to be more like Duke. I love it.

wilson
12-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Someone may have mentioned it upthread, but I read a couple previews of the game in the Detroit/Lansing papers, and Izzo's coaching strategy for his team this year is the proof in the pudding of K's coaching methods and motivational skills. It sounds like Izzo's basically hounding his guys every day by telling them they need to be more like Duke. I love it.That's cool. It makes me like Izzo even more. I hope he knows that plenty of Duke fans would be just fine with a pipeline of Michigan State players with Michigan State attitudes through here.
That said, I do not care for Michigan State's fans. They've done a fair bit of woofing over the years about how the Breslin Center is better than Cameron. Nevermind that a good bit of their schtick is directly lifted from the Crazies; for example, "Ahhhh...see ya!" is a Breslin staple.
Draymond Green's remarks today have only added fuel to this fire that's been burning in my craw for some time now. I respect the hell out of their program, but I really want to see our boys beat them as soundly as possible tonight.

Daniel tosh
12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Draymond Green's remarks today have only added fuel to this fire that's been burning in my craw for some time now. I respect the hell out of their program, but I really want to see our boys beat them as soundly as possible tonight.

What did Green say?

SilkyJ
12-01-2010, 06:48 PM
What did Green say?

"Kville ain't got nothin on the Izzone campout" (approximate quote)

PUH
LEASE

wilson
12-01-2010, 06:50 PM
What did Green say?He tweeted about how the Michigan State team walked through K-Ville today and how "it don't have nothin on the Izzone campout" (except the Izzone campout is 3 days for season tickets, and K-Ville is 2 months for one game...and this isn't even real K-Ville, but rather an impromptu campout for, again, one game).
The Crazies have gotten wind of it and, I'm sure, are cooking something up. The old barn should be pretty steamed tonight.

superdave
12-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Anyone going tonight?

Please write about the experience. This is a big one! I'd love to hear how the crowd was, about the Crazies, etc.

oldnavy
12-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Watching the Wisconsin/NCSU game and it is bringing back bad memories and making me nervous about tonights game.... Hope our boys bring it tonight, we need a full 40 minute effort.

NSDukeFan
12-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Nice piece by Dana O'Neil about tonight's match-up. Primarily focuses on MSU and Izzo, but it's worth reading for the Izzo quotes. Izzo grows on me year after year. Easily my number two coach in the game

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5865980

I really like Izzo's quotes here from the article you linked:

"What I love about Duke is they never have letdowns. Who else can you say that about?" Izzo said. "That's the biggest compliment I can give them, more impressive than the four national championships Mike [Krzyzewski] has won. If they're supposed to beat a team by 20, they beat them by 30. To get a team to play the same instead of at the level of the team they're playing, and to do it from Game 1 to Game 30, that's my goal. It's not another Final Four. It's that consistency.''

I have to agree with him.

uh_no
12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
You guys will be mad to know we have big acc-big10 challenge stickers on the floor. Seth is busy popping 3s from 23' and the student section is filling up nicely. Seth has hit like 5 in a row so hopefully he has a huge game.

uh_no
12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Dickie v just walked in to huge student ovation and is taking pics on his phone. Puttin on blue hair.

moonpie23
12-01-2010, 09:28 PM
here we go !!!

GO DUKE!!!!

12-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Espn's simulation did the game over 10,000 times and has Duke winning 85% of the time with an average final score 80 to 66.

KShip21
12-01-2010, 09:33 PM
No ot!!!!!

Bob Green
VT - Purdue just went to overtime! :mad:

DMV2434
Overtime for Purdue vs Tech looks like ESPN3 for the start of our game

Billy Dat
12-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I hate when our game gets pre-empted because of OT

_Gary
12-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Crud. Saw that coming from a mile away, but was hoping my instincts would be wrong. Anyone want to wager how much of the first half we miss because of this OT? I say at least the first 10 minutes the way these two teams are fouling.

Billy Dat
12-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Anyone have a justin.tv link for us nonESPN3 having folks?

HateCarolina
12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Crud. Saw that coming from a mile away, but was hoping my instincts would be wrong. Anyone want to wager how much of the first half we miss because of this OT? I say at least the first 10 minutes the way these two teams are fouling.

I'm liking your 10 minute estimate...I hate ESPN, but am glad that ESPN3 seems to be working well.

riverside6
12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
live tempo-based stats for duke/michigan st here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=6912

HateCarolina
12-01-2010, 09:40 PM
4 TO's in 3 minutes for MSU

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Oh no.... please not a serious injury for KI

Gthoma2a
12-01-2010, 09:43 PM
I was going to say, "Pick your poison, but Kyrie will kill you." Now, I will go with, "Oh man. I hope he is okay..." God, I love his effort, but we can't afford to lose him.

AlaskanAssassin
12-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Oh no.... please not a serious injury for KI

HOPE IT'S NOT AN INJURY AT ALL! Hopefully he can just walk it off! WE NEED HIM!

HateCarolina
12-01-2010, 09:48 PM
KI is BACK in the game....

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
KI back in with a nice drive and Miles with a great post move. Miles is looking great.

_Gary
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Please Lord, don't let this game go into double OT. Oh, and please let Kyrie be Okay! :D

Orange&BlackSheep
12-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Please Lord, don't let this game go into double OT. Oh, and please let Kyrie be Okay! :D

just tweaked his knee I think ...

HateCarolina
12-01-2010, 09:55 PM
What's up with the camera shot from the end of the court? Why does ESPN do this crap?

FerryFor50
Not liking how physical MSU is allowed to be so far. That favors them...

Would like a quicker whistle. :)

Gthoma2a
I love Kyrie. He is the man!

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Boy is KI coming up big so far! WOW

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Singler is forcing up some bad shots. Let the guards set it up!

HateCarolina
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Not liking how physical MSU is allowed to be so far. That favors them...

Would like a quicker whistle. :)

Its been quick when calling it on Miles. 3 for him already!!

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Its been quick when calling it on Miles. 3 for him already!!

Yea and he was getting bumped pretty good on some of his shot attempts, too.

SMO
12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
KI looks so good I feel like I'm watching greatness in the making.

CBDUKE
12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Karl Hess is in the house.

moonpie23
12-01-2010, 10:03 PM
gotta get kyrie some help!!!!

SETH!!!!!

Son of Mojo
12-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Kyrie is looking super out there so far. MSU is getting some defensive mismatches on us off screens (and we're having mental lapses on D as well). Two outlet passes that have gone out of bounds.....two wasted possessions. They need to reel that in sometimes and just get into a set if the defense is with those breaking out.

DukieInBrasil
12-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Kyrie is playing great! It looks like the cheap fouls on Miles have really taken our other forwards to be really reluctant down low. Mason got beat 3 strait times in the paint. We've turned it over by throwing too long passes several times already.
Without Kyrie we'd be hurtin'.

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 10:07 PM
They are letting them play rough down low with us. Singler just got shoved in the back when going for a rebound.

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I don't know if anyone else has said this before, but I really like the contributions from Ryan Kelly. He always seems to give some good minutes, even in limited fashion.

theAlaskanBear
12-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't know if anyone else has said this before, but I really like the contributions from Ryan Kelly. He always seems to give some good minutes, even in limited fashion.

Lucious is mismatching with him and blowing by him though. Also got mixed up switching on defense and led to a michigan 3.

Zerogee
12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Dawkins and Curry both look a little off in the first half, and Miles has 3 fouls - but honestly, I'm fine with that, seeing as how it's December. I'm very interested to see if we can beat a very good team just on the strength of our starting 5. Everyone won't be on every night in March.

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Lucious is mismatching with him and blowing by him though. Also got mixed up switching on defense and led to a michigan 3.

Yea but I think he'll learn. He definitely gives effort... unlike Taylor King. :)

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
love how solid kyrie is at the line. with the amount of trips he makes.

jipops
12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Defensively we're not very good right now. Mich St is getting way too many uncontested looks. They must be shooting well over 50% right now. Seems to be a bit of an issue for this Duke team right now.

DukieInBrasil
12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Kyle and Nolan need to settle down and not force the issue as much.

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Defensively we're not very good right now. Mich St is getting way too many uncontested looks. They must be shooting well over 50% right now. Seems to be a bit of an issue for this Duke team right now.

14 of 28

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Kyle and Nolan need to settle down and not force the issue as much.

Story of this year so far....

Nolan is really forcing the drives and he ends up losing his handle about 30% of the time :(

RoyalBlue08
12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
There definitely should have been a freshman on the preseason All-American list. They just got the wrong one.

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Well they also have to knock em down...

But agreed. The shots need to be contested more.

jipops
12-01-2010, 10:23 PM
2 reasons we're up at the half: Mich St turnovers and Kyrie Irving. I feel like we're getting outplayed despite the score. Their defense is better, they're grabbing offensive boards, they're getting shots close to the basket in the half court.

We need the perimeter to heat up, we seem to be a little over-matched in the paint.

slower
12-01-2010, 10:24 PM

He got abused pretty regularly in the first half and missed quite a few switches. This one looks ugly aside from Kyrie and Mason.

Could go either way - MSU is definitely not intimidated.

We need Dre and Curry (and everybody, for that matter) to hit some threes.

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 10:26 PM
He got abused pretty regularly in the first half and missed quite a few switches. This one looks ugly aside from Kyrie and Mason.

Yea he did that after I posted this. (I posted right after the nice steal) Way to make me look bad Kelly! :mad::p

DukieInBrasil
12-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Story of this year so far....

Nolan is really forcing the drives and he ends up losing his handle about 30% of the time :(

ever since the CBE Nolan has been a little bit out of control. It looks like he wants to make spectacular plays when he could make a simpler play.
Kyle continues to not play to his strengths, like trying to take people off the dribble in the paint.
Gotta give MSU's D a lot of credit for that b/c our guys aren't getting the shots that they want.

jipops
12-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Well, we're not playing well but we're up 4 at the half against one of the elites. That is a good sign at least.

Fuqua's Finest
12-01-2010, 10:30 PM
On the positive note, so far this season we've been an offensive juggernaut in the 2nd half! Lets hope the trend continues!

Vincetaylor
12-01-2010, 10:35 PM
MSU is very, very good. They've already proven to me that they are our toughest comp this year. Playing them on a neutral court would be extremely difficult. They have a ton of talent and good balance between the interior and exterior. Someone other than Kyrie has to step it up in the 2nd half. Everyone else is forcing it too much.

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Looks like MSU is starting to want to run more. bad idea... they need to slow the game down. (not that I mind :))

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 10:43 PM
and just like that, it's up to 10

DukieInBrasil
12-01-2010, 10:44 PM
It looks like Nolan is kinda angry now, which is good b/c he was NOT playing well, hopefully that 3 was the beginning of a more focused and effective Smith.

_Gary
12-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Oops, mustn't forget to thank the Almighty for hearing my prayers from earlier: 1) No double OT in the early game, and 2) Kyrie is just fine.

If Seth rounds into form (and we all know he will) then I don't see any reason we shouldn't be favored to win the NCAA Title again this year. Right? :D

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 10:46 PM
It looks like Nolan is kinda angry now, which is good b/c he was NOT playing well, hopefully that 3 was the beginning of a more focused and effective Smith.

I'd be angry, too, if I was getting hacked and banged as much as he is and I was the one in foul trouble.

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Looks like we need to try and get our home games in Oregon... that way Singler's shot will be on.

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 10:48 PM
kyle needs to sit for a bit and just relax

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 10:49 PM
1-and-1 already. not good

FerryFor50
Nice. Another touch foul on Miles. Sigh.

dukeblue4ever
Man, Miles has four. The refs are really calling some touchy fouls.

dairedevil
It's a foul fest--I guess we'll find out how deep our bench really is.......

CBDUKE
12-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Miles can't get a break.

FireOgilvie
12-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Singler has 3 fouls and is shooting 2-10 from the field. Not his night so far.

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 10:51 PM
It's a foul fest--I guess we'll find out how deep our bench really is.......

A one way foul fest. No MSU player has 3 fouls.

enick66
Hey Miles, maybe 1 out of 10 times you will be able to pick Kalin Lucas' pocket by reaching in. The other 9 times you do it you will be called for a foul by the ref. STOP IT!!! Vent over.

CampbellBlueDevil
I'd have to say the Duke foul calls are pretty iffy... and I've seen the MSU big men get away with A LOT of contact.

terrih
12-01-2010, 10:52 PM
I can't stand Hess as an official. The moment I heard he was calling the game I knew it
would be filled with annoying foul calls.

dukeblue4ever
12-01-2010, 10:52 PM
I'd have to say the Duke foul calls are pretty iffy... and I've seen the MSU big men get away with A LOT of contact.Not that time just now. :D

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I say start feeding Mason and see what happens. Maybe he can get going, draw some fouls... take the pressure off the guards.

dairedevil
12-01-2010, 10:54 PM
A one way foul fest. No MSU player has 3 fouls.

I imagine that K will point that out to the officials.

it really seems to have thrown us off out game..

and they just keep coming

dukeblue4ever
12-01-2010, 10:55 PM
That's a travel. Even K says so.

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 10:55 PM
WOW I might not be able to watch this much longer. A slide across the floor by MSU led to a 3 pointer.

Then again if we didn't fumble the ball 3 times we wouldn't have left it to the refs to screw up again.

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I imagine that K will point that out to the officials.

it really seems to have thrown us off out game..

and they just keep coming

Well early adversity is good. And this will teach the team how to play in foul trouble... good experience. :)

DukieInBrasil
Their bigs can push and shove our bigs but ours get called for touch fouls.

Lulu
Who are these officials? Seriously - I haven't been paying attention to them yet.

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 10:57 PM
terrible, terrible shot

FerryFor50
Singler had a guard on him. And he takes a fadeaway? POST HIM UP

Lulu
How many bad shots are we going to take? The most frustrating thing is to watch us waste possessions on bad shots.

dukeblue4ever
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
How many bad shots are we going to take? The most frustrating thing is to watch us waste possessions on bad shots.At least we have KI to score for us.

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
kyrie needs to keep taking it to the hoop. can't stop him

Oriole Way
12-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Why can't Nolan make a pass anymore?

FireOgilvie
12-01-2010, 11:00 PM
I wish Mason was a better free throw shooter. They can just play hack-a-Mason.

quota
12-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Michigan State looks like Brian Zoubek on every rebound. We don't.

That's frustrating.

dukeblue4ever
12-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Stone. Cold. Dre.

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Michigan State looks like Brian Zoubek on every rebound. We don't.

That's frustrating.

They're beefier. We have size, but it's lanky size. Miles looks like our biggest big, but he's got 4 fouls.

theAlaskanBear
12-01-2010, 11:03 PM
A cardiac game for sure.

Irving is amazing. I hope we can keep up the intensity on D and avoid more "fouls".

DukieInBrasil
12-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I really wonder what Nolan is going through, he just doesn't seem to be playing very smoothly. Everything is rushed and he isn't making good decisions.
I wish MP II could make more FTs. 60% FT would be acceptable, but he's in the low 40s.

DukeGirl4ever
12-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I understand why we are running the pick and role at the top of the key with Mason setting the pick and rolling....BUT they are hacking him instantly b/c he can't shoot fouls.

Why don't we run it with Kyle? I know Kyle doesn't have Mason's hops, but that may be more effective if they are going to hack away.

dukeblue4ever
12-01-2010, 11:05 PM
I really wonder what Nolan is going through, he just doesn't seem to be playing very smoothly. Everything is rushed and he isn't making good decisions.
I wish MP II could make more FTs. 60% FT would be acceptable, but he's in the low 40s.I think Nolan is rushing because he's too focused on maintaining a Kyrie Irvingesque pace.

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Wow, nice dirty foul there.

dukeblue4ever
12-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Nolan needs to make those. He is too good of a shooter.

Edit: He can't go 0-2

chattpanther
What are Crazies chanting after Nix foul?

DukeGirl4ever
Are you freaking kidding me???

GET THE FREAKING LID OFF THE BASKET!!!!

rotogod00
4-10 from line besides irving

dukeblue4ever
12-01-2010, 11:07 PM
There is Kyle Singler. Questionable shot choice; however, I love it.

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Irving is great at drawing contact and selling the foul. I wish he'd teach Mason how to sell fouls a bit more. :)

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Irving is great at drawing contact and selling the foul. I wish he'd teach Mason how to sell fouls a bit more. :)

also, how to hit FTs

dukeblue4ever
12-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Let's go kyle singler!!!

Everybody is draining!!!!

FireOgilvie
12-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Singlerrrrrrrr for threeeeee! I think he heard me.

Now it's Nolan's turn!

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 11:10 PM
also, how to hit FTs

Eh I'll take getting to the line and getting the other team in foul trouble in exchange for some missed FTs.

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 11:10 PM
What was Nolan doing on the transition D???? left a man wide open for a 3

and he pays it back with a 3

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 11:11 PM
I like the answers. Matching shot for shot, fighting through the foul trouble, not backing down to physical play. They're showing early season toughness... the program's come a long way since that game at Littlejohn a couple years ago.

terrih
Am falling in love with Andre Dawkins!

DukieInBrasil
Our D made that run possible, and it certainly helps that the boys started passing the ball to the open man on the 3pt line. Those 3s really helped.

dukeblue4ever
What was Nolan doing on the transition D???? left a man wide open for a 3

and he pays it back with a 3You also have to give Dre some props on that three. What a pass.

hedevil
12-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Hopefully that 3 will calm Nolan down a bit.

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 11:12 PM
You also have to give Dre some props on that three. What a pass.

That was a very smart play by Dre and Nolan's 3 doesn't make up for the lack of thinking on defense by any means.

theAlaskanBear
12-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Anyone else hate how the announcers have brought up Austin Rivers throughout the game? Talk about the players ON THE COURT please. One mention in passing is alright, but c'mon Vitale. No wonder freshmen come in with more hype than ever.

chattpanther
12-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Kyle and Nolan have the best short term memory. Thank goodness. Keep plugging away guys and good things will happen.

jipops
12-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Several times tonight Nolan has made a bone-headed play and then made up for it on the very next possession. I do think Nolan is struggling a bit with this new offense after playing in a completely different offense with more experienced personnel last year.

dukeblue4ever
Anyone else hate how the announcers have brought up Austin Rivers throughout the game? Talk about the players ON THE COURT please. One mention in passing is alright, but c'mon Vitale. No wonder freshmen come in with more hype than ever.Just another reason to strongly dislike Dickie V. He never talks about the game: only recruits and UNC.

chattpanther
Anyone else hate how the announcers have brought up Austin Rivers throughout the game? Talk about the players ON THE COURT please. One mention in passing is alright, but c'mon Vitale. No wonder freshmen come in with more hype than ever.
Dickie V did that every single game last year for UNC with Harrison Barnes.

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 11:15 PM
how do you leave him open...terrible

dukeblue4ever
Wow, that was a late foul call...Correct call, but late.

FerryFor50
You know, I would start guarding the 3 if I were them... especially with Lucas and Lucious.

dukeballboy88
12-01-2010, 11:17 PM
It seems like Nolan is forcing it a little bit.

dukeblue4ever
First, that was another open three.
Second, we aren't hustling on D. We need those rebounds.
Third, Kyle is just running around and overpursuing. He let another three occur.

theAlaskanBear
oh god, dont tell me stall ball.

/heart attack

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 11:18 PM
crap

CampbellBlueDevil
I like how Mason had to grab that rebound with one arm because MSU player was holding unto the other one.

And this injury does not look good.........

Gthoma2a
Nooooo!

FerryFor50
Looks like just a charley horse. (hoping)

theAlaskanBear
Hope Plums is ok...we need his rebounding big time!

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I can't tell if it's knee or ankle. Does anyone know?

FerryFor50
12-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Ok that's an ankle. Hope it's not serious...

Starter
12-01-2010, 11:20 PM

You excited about Austin Rivers? So is Vitale.

rotogod00
heading to locker room

dukeblue4ever
Why would Izzo choose Nolan? Even though he is off tonight, Nolan has fire and is most like taking offense at Izzo's choice. Also, he happens to be one of the best FT shooters for Duke on the floor.

Gthoma2a
12-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Poor Mason. Mason has just really started getting to be an outstanding player, who is able to get in tune with the game, and now this. His ankle went in a weird direction.

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Why would Izzo choose Nolan? Even though he is off tonight, Nolan has fire and is most like taking offense at Izzo's choice. Also, he happens to be one of the best FT shooters for Duke on the floor.

who else do you choose. not irving or dawkins. singler?

dukeblue4ever
12-01-2010, 11:22 PM
heading to locker roomNo he isn't

Edit: KI is a monster.

Edit 2: I guess Nolan was the only choice.

CampbellBlueDevil

I don't know, who else was on the court? Kyle, Dre, Irving, Kelly? Wasn't that bad of a choice.

And sickkkkkk drive by KI

rotogod00
No he isn't

looked like it on TV. my bad if wrong

Gthoma2a
12-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Anybody else find themselves holding their breath a lot during a lot of these plays (injuries terrify me right now)?

enick66
12-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Need a hiatus on lob passes tonight. They're not working!!!

FireOgilvie
Mason is coming back in!

Also, stop throwing dumb lobs to the Plumlees!

CampbellBlueDevil
I kind of wish we would try fewer alley oops... leading to TO's more than easy buckets.

Fuqua's Finest
When Miles learns how to catch and hold the ball with strong hands, we will be virtually unbeatable as long as we stay healthy. Note it!

Son of Mojo
12-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Y'know, when you're up by 20+ and you're dominating, THEN go for the alley oop passes. We've thrown several at times where it's absolutely not needed and it's yielded turnovers. Their collective heads haven't been in this game enough on offense or defense.

dukeballboy88
12-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Bad thing about an ankle injury like that is it could bother him the rest of the year. Got to stay off it and ice and elevate it starting right now! Now somebody else will have to step up!

Lulu
12-01-2010, 11:26 PM
...and we continue to go for the fantastic play rather than the good shot...

JohnGalt
Kyrie Irving is part PG, part Running Back. He protects the ball better in traffic than Adrian Peterson did his rookie year in the League. The way he tucks, cradles, and scores while fending off with the other arm is unbelievable.

Kfanarmy
Mason is getting some bad passes...Miles doesn't seem to be catching good ones...at least that's what I think I'm seeing....

theAlaskanBear
Where is our d??!!!

Loud noises!!!!!

chattpanther
12-01-2010, 11:27 PM
I guess the lob does work tonight.

FerryFor50
Wow. No foul on the tackle during the rebound and then a travel on the SAME PLAY MSU DIDN'T GET CALLED FOR ONE ON.

CampbellBlueDevil
No FOUL... and a TRAVEL?!?!??!?

theAlaskanBear
Rugby scrum and then a bleeping travel call...bullllll

theAlaskanBear
12-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Then a bad touch foul on Michigan on a rebounding call...man these refs....

dukeblue4ever
12-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Mason made 2!!

CampbellBlueDevil
12-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Mason made 2!!

Hallelujah!

Lulu
We cannot get a rebound, though it doesn't help when about 1 of 10 over-the-back calls are made.

Kfanarmy
Then a bad touch foul on Michigan on a rebounding call...man these refs.... was a make up call.

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 11:31 PM
are u serious

dukeblue4ever
12-01-2010, 11:31 PM
That guy literally held Kyrie's jersey all the way down the court. And KI still dominated him.

rotogod00
12-01-2010, 11:33 PM
12 FTA vs. 12 FGA....phenomenal

dukeblue4ever
For the non-watchers, Dickie V just referred to Austin Rivers again.

Vincetaylor
Anybody want to revisit the Irving vs Scheyer debate?

CampbellBlueDevil
No doubt who the MOTM will be. KI is showing some mad skills out there, he's something special. Outplaying all of these juniors and seniors. Not just the opponent but our own players.