PDA

View Full Version : Sean McNally Article

Tappan Zee Devil
06-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Here is a nice article on Duke baseball coach Stan McNally from his old hometown newspaper in the New York burbs.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007706130378

TZ

Tappan Zee Devil
06-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Sorry - Sean McNally

I can't type or read

dkbaseball
06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Couple of notes. While I hope it's true, it's still a bit premature to say McNally has the team headed in the right direction. The non-conference schedule this past year was embarrassingly easy, and the conference record, per usual lately, was the worst in the ACC. Secondly, the mid '90s was definitely not the program's apex. Duke had the best baseball program in the country in the '30s under Jack Coombs, and was very good up through the early '60s. They went to the College World Series in 1961.

Having met McNally, I would say that he is not a natural glad-hander or networker, and I have some concern about his ability to recruit. But it is very encouraging that he says he has the job he most wants. If that's really true, I think he'll turn the program around.

But a new stadium would really, really help. Many schools, such as UNC and Tulane, are building magnificent new structures that rival some of the best Triple A ballparks that have gone up lately (we're living in a golden era of baseball park construction, ignited by the success of Camden Yards). Calling Al Schwartz: your program needs you. "Schwartz Field" would be a natural.

Zeb
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
I was in a couple of classes with Sean while he was at Duke. Seemed like a great guy, although he was fairly quiet and reserved. That may be what the previous poster is referencing when he wonders about his recruiting ability. I still think he'll represent us well.

It's exciting and a bit daunting to see a former classmate as a head coach. Another sign of getting old I guess.

jjasper0729
06-14-2007, 03:55 PM
But a new stadium would really, really help. Many schools, such as UNC and Tulane, are building magnificent new structures that rival some of the best Triple A ballparks that have gone up lately (we're living in a golden era of baseball park construction, ignited by the success of Camden Yards). Calling Al Schwartz: your program needs you. "Schwartz Field" would be a natural.

I've been saying for over 10 years that there needs to be an upgrade to Historic Jack Coombs.

1) the first base line hill area needs to be terraced to allow for the family atmosphere. This would encourage more people to come out as families (local alums?) and for students to show up on sunny days for fun in the sun at the ball park. It would also help with the drainage situation in the lower right hand corner of the covered area

2) wrap a seating area with a tunnel around the third base line side (behind the home dugout) towards the batting cages. Give a tunnel for entrance to the stands and put a permanent concession stand in a-la koskinnen. At the top of this should be a good press box/scorers area. I don't know if you've noticed, but as a one time scorer (for 4 years), the area where the pa announcer/scoreboard operator/official scorer sits is an accident waiting to happen. All the water pools there after it rains, it doesn't drain and the plugs for the pa/scoreboard are in water. A permanent box would allow them to leave it set up with a lockable door and good sight lines out through the entire field (looking directly at the scoreboard). This section wouldn't have a cover over it.

3) dig up underneath that spot first and create a proper clubhouse for the team that leads up to the dugout and onto the field. Access could also be made available from the batting cages and underneath the stands behind the permanent concession stand. The coaches offices could be moved under the new stands behind the home dugout to be right above the clubhouse.

4) put in seats like the lower portion of the current stadium all throughout. The metal seats are a combo of wood and metal and they are in various states of disrepair.

5) remove the chicken wire and put in a net at the front of the current stadium

6) give the whole thing a new paint job.

This short list would upgrade the stadium and make it a very good place to watch and play. The field is great (although i haven't taken in a game under the lights there) but the seating stinks at this point. I wouldn't change the name. Historic Jack Coombs field has a ring over the PA.

Unfortunately, unless I win the lottery, none of these things will probably get done in my lifetime.

jimsumner
06-14-2007, 04:49 PM
"It's something I lived here as a player," said McNally, a four-year starter during the most prosperous era in program history."

The most prosperous era in program history? One of the more egregiously misinformed statements I've read in quite some time.

EarlJam
06-14-2007, 05:21 PM
To former Orioles pitcher Dave McNally?

-EarlJam

dkbaseball
06-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Probably not. Dave was from Montana, Sean from New York.