PDA

View Full Version : MOTM Recommendation

cascadedevil
11-26-2010, 12:55 PM
How would folks feel about adding 1. The Whole Team and 2. Coach K as permanent options for the voting of MOTM? Seems appropriate to me given the performances we have seen so far this year. I am interested in the thoughts of others.

Lord Ash
11-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Hm, I would generally be against "The Whole Team." I think it is a bit of a cop out... if you have to pick a Man Of The Match, you've gotta pick A man, not ALL of the men :)

As for Coach K... again, I don't think it would work, because frankly he is ALWAYS important!:)

timmy c
11-26-2010, 01:32 PM
How would folks feel about adding 1. The Whole Team and 2. Coach K as permanent options for the voting of MOTM? Seems appropriate to me given the performances we have seen so far this year. I am interested in the thoughts of others.

You are right in recognizing that it takes a concerted effort from the whole team to produce the kind of success that Duke has enjoyed over the years. And, this kind of atmosphere is predicated on the leadership of Coach K. You could vote for K/team every single game.

However...

I agree with Ash, the whole team option is a cop-out answer. It falls into the same sort of PC nonsense that requires that every participant receive a trophy. In reality, the entire team does not give the same effort or have the same ability. Recognizing excellence in each game does not belittle others, but sets the bar high for future performances. For example, if someone voted for the whole team they would be saying that Casey Peters in-game performance added as much to the win as Kyle Singler or Nolan Smith.

Under the current voting system the whole team can be recognized for success. When several players have great games, the voting is spread equally among that group of players. This produces the same effect as voting for the whole team.

BD80
11-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Why don't we march on down to Mamby-Pamby Land and get trophies for everyone just for playing. Oops, sorry, we'll get a few more for the ones that wore the uniform and sat on the bench - well, better get some for the managers and trainers. Let's not forget a trophy for the Snack Mom!

I love Geico commercials!

In the future, you probably shouldn't solicit my thoughts

4decadedukie
11-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Obviously there is nothing to preclude -- I have done so many times -- narratively explaining why you support "the whole team" or "Coach K" (and so forth); for many us, the details, rationale and discussion are far more pursusavive and compelling than a simple poll vote.