PDA

View Full Version : Maui Invitational Final: UCONN vs. UK

COYS
11-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Catching some hoops while doing some cleaning and cooking before tomorrow. The Huskies wiped the floor with the Wildcats in the first half and go into halftime up 50-29. They look really impressive. Meanwhile, UK looks completely clueless on both ends of the court. Knight cannot begin to hang with Kemba Walker's quickness while the Huskies' center Alex Oriaki is dominating the paint. Throw in some excellent three point shooting from Uconn and you've got the makings of a UCONN rout.

devildeac
11-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Catching some hoops while doing some cleaning and cooking before tomorrow. The Huskies wiped the floor with the Wildcats in the first half and go into halftime up 50-29. They look really impressive. Meanwhile, UK looks completely clueless on both ends of the court. Knight cannot begin to hang with Kemba Walker's quickness while the Huskies' center Alex Oriaki is dominating the paint. Throw in some excellent three point shooting from Uconn and you've got the makings of a UCONN rout.

Still hoping for the volcanic eruption...

dukelifer
11-24-2010, 11:18 PM
UConn is taking it to KY- leading by 21 at the half. No player has been more impressive early than Kemba Walker and UConn is pretty good- maybe excellent. Not a team you will want to play in March. KY has its issues but Terrence Jones is their best player and he is impressive as well. When he is on the floor- they can play with anyone. But they are fragile and did not handle the big run by UConn very well. UConn will move WAY up in the polls and may be the team to beat in the big East. Of course - they depend on Kemba a lot to give them stability.

uh_no
11-24-2010, 11:26 PM
UConn is taking it to KY- leading by 21 at the half. No player has been more impressive early than Kemba Walker and UConn is pretty good- maybe excellent. Not a team you will want to play in March. KY has its issues but Terrence Jones is their best player and he is impressive as well. When he is on the floor- they can play with anyone. But they are fragile and did not handle the big run by UConn very well. UConn will move WAY up in the polls and may be the team to beat in the big East. Of course - they depend on Kemba a lot to give them stability.

apologize, but I can't pass up an opportunity to talk about uconn

they have been sloppy at times, but kemba walker is BY FAR the best player in the country right now....obviously i'll get slack from the duke people here....and duke is clearly the best team, but nobody is doing more for their team all over the game than kemba is

with oriachi down low (he had 17 rebounds yesterday) he must have put on a lot of weight....they have the classic guard center combo that the great uconn teams have had, and have several other supporting players who appear to be good

their defense has been VERY good, which I find suprising with such a young team, and they don't appear to have the effort problems that have plauged uconn the past couple of years (and yes I think the loss of stanley robinson and dyson can be directly attributed to the rise in effort)

the freshman and sophomores haven't proven anything, and kemba knows what its like to get there and is now a key player

this week Uconn has looked like one of the top few teams in the country, but I'm not sure I'll put them there at the end of the season

I picture them as a sweet 16/elite 8 team

there is a lot of basketball to be played, but I'm happy that uconn is bouncing back

uh_no
11-24-2010, 11:28 PM

go uconn :)

COYS
11-24-2010, 11:30 PM

Personally, I'm surprised how much I'm hoping for a UCONN win. I considered myself pretty neutral about the whole UK/Calipari thing, but apparently I was kidding myself. Despite the fact that '99 and '04 hurt at the time and the recent allegations surrounding Calhoun's program make him seem even more unlikeable, I just can't bear anymore praise for Calipari's coaching and his "revolutionary" dribble-drive offense (which tonight consists of Knight dribbling around at the top of the key before forcing a shot or giving it to someone else with the shot clock at 5 to take a shot). And I even respect Calipari as a defensive coach.

COYS
11-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Looks like we started the same thread at almost the exact same time. I think a merge is in order.

uh_no
11-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Personally, I'm surprised how much I'm hoping for a UCONN win. I considered myself pretty neutral about the whole UK/Calipari thing, but apparently I was kidding myself. Despite the fact that '99 and '04 hurt at the time and the recent allegations surrounding Calhoun's program make him seem even more unlikeable, I just can't bear anymore praise for Calipari's coaching and his "revolutionary" dribble-drive offense (which tonight consists of Knight dribbling around at the top of the key before forcing a shot or giving it to someone else with the shot clock at 5 to take a shot). And I even respect Calipari as a defensive coach.

I think uconn is also more likeable now that some of the more questionable characters have moved on...price, williams, robinson et al. I think sticks was part of the attitute problem last year, and all you're left with now is a guard who's worked his butt off for 4 years and a bunch of young guys who appear to give it their all

dukelifer
11-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Looks like we started the same thread at almost the exact same time. I think a merge is in order.

I am glad a few others are watching. It is a good game. Jones is a talent- looks to be a high lottery pick if he can keep up this type of intensity. KY is making a little comeback.

DevilHorns
11-24-2010, 11:45 PM
I think subconsciously we're all trending toward rooting for UCONN over UK because UCONN has is being punished by the NCAA currently. UCONN has caused most of us a lot of pain over the years (1999 and 2004) while UK really hasn't been much of a thorn. Still, we as Americans hate cheaters that aren't penalized, ie, UK and Calipari.

This match-up has the arguably current best freshman in America (Terrence Jones) and the current best overall player in America (Kemba Walker).

uh_no
11-24-2010, 11:46 PM
This match-up has the arguably current best freshman in America (Terrence Jones)

you're right that its arguable......it's obviously H4O

Duke: A Dynasty
11-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Go Uconn! Cal makes me sick to the stomach and I hope they lose :p

uh_no
11-25-2010, 12:21 AM
yeah uconn won....but then again last time they won they lost to george mason in the elite 8.....

WiJoe
11-25-2010, 12:38 AM
go uconn :)

and take kerlina with you

uconn is NEVER likable.

To quote Calhouny "We may have broken rules ... but we did not cheat."

uh_no
11-25-2010, 12:39 AM
and take kerlina with you

?

is that supposed to be some atrocious misspelling of carolina?

even if it is, I still have no idea what you mean

Deslok
11-25-2010, 12:52 AM
UK-UConn... the two teams I never can root for(I can even root for the Heels on rare rare occasions for ACC pride). But I did find myself rooting for UK to lose more than UConn, so I guess that's ok.

All the bad characters haven't moved on from UConn, Calhoun is still there :p. But as much as I despise UConn, Walker has pretty much planted a flag on the POY honors and it will be tough to snatch it away from him. Obviously he will need to continue playing well, but if he continues playing this well, I can't imagine him not being the #1 pick in the draft next year. He's got it all, including the fuzzy goatee.

UCon is obviously a lot better than pretty much everyone thought. But before we go anointing them as Final Four bound(not saying folks are, the comments in this thread have been more Sweet 16/Final 8), I want to see them in a matchup with a more organized(And talented) group. Michigan St is still finding itself with returns from injury and all that. If they face the Spartans at the end of January, would the result be the same? And Kentucky, well... coaching? Who needs coaching? The Huskies were impressive, but I think they are pretty close to their ceiling as a team in November. We shall see. But always nice to see Kentucky go down hard. The Kentucky boards might be as entertaining as the Carolina boards to read tonight.

juise
11-25-2010, 12:53 AM
I first checked the score at halftime and was pleasantly surprised to see Kentucky getting whooped. I figured with UConn being carried by one scorer that they would be in trouble eventually. It looks like Walker got a lot of help tonight. And I agree that Walker is the clear leader in the NPOY clubhouse.

I am by no means a fan of Ucon(n) after being in the student section in 2004 and being harassed by "Duck Fuke" t-shirt wearing jerks in San Antonio that weekend. However, I just couldn't stand to watch Kentucky ease through that tournament.

Duke will lose at least a couple times this year, but I would love a shot at either one of these teams this year. Perhaps in a few months.

uh_no
11-25-2010, 01:06 AM
"Duck Fuke".

what does that even mean????

look....i love the team....but i won't say much about the overall intelligence of the students.....

juise
11-25-2010, 01:17 AM
what does that even mean????

I assume you're familiar with spoonerisms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism).

I have to admit that the first time I saw such a shirt was my first semester at Duke, a "Puck Frinceton" tee.

uh_no
11-25-2010, 01:21 AM
I assume you're familiar with spoonerisms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism).

I have to admit that the first time I saw such a shirt was my first semester at Duke, a "Puck Frinceton" tee.

oh hahahaha

i definitely read it as duke fuke and was like....what is fuke?

but obviously duck fuke makes more sense....

gewwang
11-25-2010, 06:56 AM
I was watching last night and sort of pulled for UConn only because they are the lesser of two evils. It's kinda like those two times a year that Maryland is my favorite team.

So after Terrence Jones scores the first 10 points in like 3 minutes and UK looks really good, either Bilas or Raftery says 'Just shows how good Cal is - he's only had these guys for 15 practices and they're already looking like a Final 4 team'. Made me sick to hear that since that's what Coach K does so well.

Then Jones gets the 2nd foul, exits game and UConn pulls away to 50-29 at half.

dukebluelemur
11-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Rarely have I been more annoyed with Jay Bilas than during his rant about poooor Enes Kanter and how the guy so badly wanted to go to college. Like "Duck" he did... he is still able to GO to college if that was really what he wanted. The free marketing for his brand and future draft position had more than a little to do with his Borat style tour of the American educational system. Of all the guys out there, I would think Jay would still distinguish between college and college sports and the distinct and separate benefits of each.

timmy c
11-25-2010, 10:11 AM
...So after Terrence Jones scores the first 10 points in like 3 minutes and UK looks really good, either Bilas or Raftery says 'Just shows how good Cal is - he's only had these guys for 15 practices and they're already looking like a Final 4 team'. Made me sick to hear that since that's what Coach K does so well.

Fact check: UK scheduled a foreign trip to Canada in August of 2010. This trip allowed the coaching staff and to practice for several weeks with their current roster (plus Kanter) and play in three exhibition games. http://www.aseaofblue.com/2010/8/17/1628493/kentucky-basketball-the-canada

Whether of not the current UK team is Final Four worthy remains to be seen.

CEF1959
11-25-2010, 10:35 AM
The good thing about UK losing to UConn is that UK lost. The bad thing is that UConn won. Call it a wash.

I'd like to see the 4 teams with slimy or whiney coaches (UK, UNCCH, UConn, and Baylor) play round-robin tournaments each other all year long in their own little basketball world. That way, no matter what the outcome, every game would give me a chance to experience some schadenfreude, and I could just ignore them whenever I wanted.

And which ever of those 4 coaches wins the most games that season has to strangle Rick Barnes with the championship net.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Orange&BlackSheep
11-25-2010, 10:40 AM

That's just wrong ...

rsvman
11-25-2010, 10:59 AM
The good thing about UK losing to UConn is that UK lost. The bad thing is that UConn won. Call it a wash.

I'd like to see the 4 teams with slimy or whiney coaches (UK, UNCCH, UConn, and Baylor) play round-robin tournaments each other all year long in their own little basketball world. That way, no matter what the outcome, every game would give me a chance to experience some schadenfreude, and I could just ignore them whenever I wanted.

And which ever of those 4 coaches wins the most games that season has to strangle Rick Barnes with the championship net.

Amen. Preach on, brother!

uh_no
11-25-2010, 11:03 AM

I think bruce pearl is quickly rising to that pantheon....except without any success to go with it

BattierBattalion
11-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Choosing between these two teams is like choosing the how to shoot yourself in the face. Uggghhh... only if there were a way for both to lose. I can't stand the teams' coaches.

Jim Calhoun will sacrifice anything - players, rules, honesty, integrity - to bolster his legacy. His lowest action is forcing players to transfer if they don't show signs of being able to contribute. It's so unfair to force a kid who has committed one to two years to suddenly have to start over. Recruiting works in both ways: The kid commits to the coach/program, and the program/coach commits to the kid.

John Calipari is the anti-Coach K. Coach K values teamwork, chemistry, winning, and finding a role; Calipari glamorizes the lifestyle, NBA riches, and the attention. This was most apparent with how Calipari was jealous of Coach K's NCAAT success. During 2010 Draft night, he claimed with a straight face that it was the biggest day of Kentucky basketball. A few weeks ago, he claims he'd rather have his position versus Coach K's (getting players drafted and not winning the NCAAT rather than winning the NCAAT and not getting players drafted).

juise
11-25-2010, 12:15 PM
That's just wrong ...

I agree. Completely petty and classless. I assumed that he didn't get in to Princeton.

uh_no
11-25-2010, 12:24 PM
His lowest action is forcing players to transfer if they don't show signs of being able to contribute.

you mean like taylor king?

RoyalBlue08
11-25-2010, 12:34 PM

You know, I dislike the coaches on these teams so much that I thought it was unfair of you to throw Roy in with them. And I don't believe I'm going to do it, but I'm going to try and defend Roy for a second. You can say what you want about his personality, but I do think he is a man of integrity and certainly plays by the rules...which cannot be said of the 'gentlemen' coaching in this game.

BattierBattalion
11-25-2010, 12:38 PM
you mean like taylor king?

Was Taylor King forced out for production issues? I honestly don't know.

Considering he also left Villanova, I'm guessing it was a mixture of issues.

uh_no
11-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Was Taylor King forced out for production issues? I honestly don't know.

Considering he also left Villanova, I'm guessing it was a mixture of issues.

the players that leave uconn are the ones that don't buy into calhoun's system....not necessarily because they are unproductive....if that were the case then why is charles okwandu still on the team?

from my understanding taylor king was asked to leave the program for a combination of on the court and off the court issues.....either way, one could say that K should have been committed to him because a scholarship is a 2 way thing (bla bla bla) but if a player doesn't buy into a coach's system, I think the coach has every reason to ask the player to leave the program, and calhoun obviously recruits a "different" sort of character than K, and one where there might be a higher instance of players not buying into the system

flyingdutchdevil
11-25-2010, 12:49 PM
If a coach asks a player to leave the program and the player refuses (ie wants to get a free education and doesn't care for playing time), can the program revoke a scholy if the player hasn't done anything wrong? Has this ever happened?

uh_no
11-25-2010, 12:52 PM
If a coach asks a player to leave the program and the player refuses (ie wants to get a free education and doesn't care for playing time), can the program revoke a scholy if the player hasn't done anything wrong? Has this ever happened?

scholarships are 1 year contracts

calipari gutted UK of players to make room for his studs that he was bringing in

duke removed the giulianni kid from the golf team (and got sued, and won...proving the right of a school to revoke a scholarship)

Newton_14
11-25-2010, 01:49 PM
the players that leave uconn are the ones that don't buy into calhoun's system....not necessarily because they are unproductive....if that were the case then why is charles okwandu still on the team?

from my understanding taylor king was asked to leave the program for a combination of on the court and off the court issues.....either way, one could say that K should have been committed to him because a scholarship is a 2 way thing (bla bla bla) but if a player doesn't buy into a coach's system, I think the coach has every reason to ask the player to leave the program, and calhoun obviously recruits a "different" sort of character than K, and one where there might be a higher instance of players not buying into the system

Not intending to argue, but the story I was told is quite the opposite. Allegedly, he was practically begged to stay and stick it out, with Scheyer being the player that tried to convince him the most. I never heard that he was asked to leave.

You could be right but it does conflict with with the version of the story I was told.

uh_no
11-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Not intending to argue, but the story I was told is quite the opposite. Allegedly, he was practically begged to stay and stick it out, with Scheyer being the player that tried to convince him the most. I never heard that he was asked to leave.

You could be right but it does conflict with with the version of the story I was told.

you may be right....all i know was what flew around campus, which was that there were some drug issues (pot, cigarettes)....perhaps the rumor mill was turning, but this was the impression I got

If he did leave of his own volition, it doesn't make sense that he would go to another high profile school with a strong backcourt

just an aside, i will probably go to great lengths to view calhoun in a good light, as I'm sure many people here will go to great lengths to view him in a negative light, but regardless of what he's done in terms of players, he has meant a lot to the state of connecticut for a very long time (very much unlike calipari who is a hired assassin for UK who will bolt as soon as ncaa compliance comes a knocking), the people of CT will defend calhoun through anything ans as I said, cal has poured his soul into this program for the past 25 years

Devilsfan
11-25-2010, 02:52 PM
What goes around campus is more likely than not the real story. I was amazed to hear that a Duke player would openly smoke like it was the 1940's when GIs were given cigarettes and advertising encouraged smoking. The enamour the students (cool ones) had with him wore off quickly. That said I remember thinking we had the second coming of JJ but there was no coach encouraged intervention. No newly found work ethic. No desire to "pay your dues" to become great. Just a free thinking student from the left coast who wanted an easier way out and transfering seemed to be his solution. Sad but it happens.