PDA

View Full Version : Who (outside of UNC) is our biggest rival?

em0526
11-24-2010, 10:26 AM
With Kentucky and UCONN playing tonight, I began to wonder who Duke fans consider our biggest rival not named UNC?

I wonder which program (that didn't win the 2010 national championship) UNC fans would put on the top of their list?

wgl1228
11-24-2010, 10:35 AM
I would have to say Maryland because they are the only team we play on a regular basis. It's mainly due to their disrespectful fanbase though. Outside the ACC, Connecticut has beat us twice in big games and will let you know it in a heartbeat.

HCheek37
11-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Inside the ACC - Maryland with Clemson and Virginia Tech not far behind

Outside the ACC - Kentucky / Uconn for sure....Uconn's delivered some tough losses in recent years and the dislike between K and Calipari is pretty obvious.

DukeSean
11-24-2010, 10:40 AM
I would have to say Maryland because they are the only team we play on a regular basis. Connecticut though has beat us twice in big games and will let you know it in a heartbeat.

I would probably say Maryland too, if they have a solid team. Although, it does seem a bit one-sided with respect to the rivalry in that their fans seem to really really hate us while I would say we only mildly hate them. Except Steve Blake - I'll always really hate that guy.

Outside the ACC I'd go with Kentucky. Don't think we have warm fuzzy feelings for each other.

jv001
11-24-2010, 10:43 AM
the twerps number one. then uconn and Kentucky. Go Duke!

Class of '94
11-24-2010, 10:44 AM
I would have to say Maryland because they are the only team we play on a regular basis. Connecticut though has beat us twice in big games and will let you know it in a heartbeat.

If you base it on regularly playing a team, I would say MD. But if you talk to fans of Uconn and KY, I think they would say there is a rivalry between us and them; and personally I'd agree. I think the rivalry started with Christian hit the game winner (as a freshman I believe) to beat UConn and prevent them from going to the Final 4, and I hate the fact that UConn kept us from winning it all in 1999 and 2004. And I'd love to see Duke play and beat KY any chance they can because KY fans are so obnoxious and unreasonable when it comes to theri hatred of Duke.

Steve68
11-24-2010, 10:46 AM
With Kentucky and UCONN playing tonight, I began to wonder who Duke fans consider our biggest rival not named UNC?

I wonder which program (that didn't win the 2010 national championship) UNC fans would put on the top of their list?

There are no degrees of "rivalness". We have one, and only one, rival.

hurleyfor3
11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
The fanbases of EVERY other good program, and EVERY other ACC school that cares about basketball, consider us their rival.

We OTOH have only one rival, which has never changed in my lifetime of following Duke basketball.

I'm at peace with UConn. They deserved to win the 1999 and 2004 games anyway.

sagegrouse
11-24-2010, 11:14 AM
It's in the fight song: "...Duke is gonna win today, Carolina goodnight! BEAT STATE! So turn on the steam team, fight Blue Devils, fight!" Or, maybe I've been mishearing it all these years.

Our natural and historic rival was NC State, and it should be again. It is ridiculous that we do not have home-and-home basketball games with State as well as an annual football game.

sagegrouse

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-24-2010, 11:48 AM
It's in the fight song: "...Duke is gonna win today, Carolina goodnight! BEAT STATE! So turn on the steam team, fight Blue Devils, fight!" Or, maybe I've been mishearing it all these years.

Our natural and historic rival was NC State, and it should be again. It is ridiculous that we do not have home-and-home basketball games with State as well as an annual football game.

sagegrouse

I know you know the words. Wasn't that part of freshman orientation when we were there?

sagegrouse
11-24-2010, 11:54 AM
I know you know the words. Wasn't that part of freshman orientation when we were there?

Yep. And I am proud to say I threw my dink away the first moment I could and never looked back. Unfortunately, the "beat State" words have been replaced in some recitations of the fight song. ;)

sagegrouse

Billy Dat
11-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Here's my personal list:

Maryland - fueled by the intense 2000-2005 period and by their literally rabid fan base

UConn - we've beaten them in some big games, but Calhoun's got K's number with the 1999 Title game and 2004 Final Four. It would be sweet to get some payback, but I think that Calhoun is nearing the end of his run.

Kentucky - I really wish we could get a home and home with these guys just for the blockbuster potential.

Finally, for anyone who was a huge fan circa the early 1990s, Michigan was a HATED rival, from the Fab 5 through Tractor Traylor's game winning dunk through the loss up at Crisler in Brand/Battier's freshman year.

thenameisbond
11-24-2010, 12:15 PM
The fanbases of EVERY other good program, and EVERY other ACC school that cares about basketball, consider us their rival.

We OTOH have only one rival, which has never changed in my lifetime of following Duke basketball.

I can't give yoUCON a pass. I thought we got hosed in 2004.

Still, UNC is the only real rival.

bluepenguin
11-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Yep. And I am proud to say I threw my dink away the first moment I could and never looked back. Unfortunately, the "beat State" words have been replaced in some recitations of the fight song. ;)

sagegrouse
Gotta say I have never heard the words "beat State" sung or shouted in the fight song during my years at Duke. And there was nothing replacing them either. As I listen to it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpphcJjbF_0 , I don't see how words could fit in between "Carolina goodnight" and "so turn on the steam." Unless you pull an "O" as they do in the National Anthem and shout it out quickly.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-24-2010, 12:21 PM
In conference - Maryland, then VaTech. At least, over the last ten years. I still get goosebumps watching the Gone in 59 seconds game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiBVtzJOWCU
(poor quality video, but worth watching!)
Seriously, rewatch it and remember how awesome it was. Those UM fans were so horrendous that year.

Out of conference? I'm trying to think... Early 90's we had some great matchups with Michigan. I very much enjoyed watching those games. Also, good matchups with Arizona in those years.

Good games against St. Johns and Temple in the similar time frame if I remember correctly. Kentucky, of course had some great drama over the years. Kansas got my riled up in both the Larry Brown and Roy years, but I can't say I care much one way or the other these days. Cincinnati in the Huggy Bear days was a thorn in our side and vice versa.

But as far as consistent great games with Duke, I'll take UConn. Especially given the importance of the games between the teams and my general disdain for the program. No doubt Calhoun is a good coach, but his handling of some player indiscretions is definitely worthy of some investigation.

It's been a long time, but I'll pick UConn for out of conference rival. I still would not relish a matchup with them, regardless of their W-L record or ranking.

This is an interesting discussion and I'm interested to see what other fans from different eras remember. I'd love to get into a rivalry with a Capilari-led Kentucky team and show them what real coaching looks like.

blazindw
11-24-2010, 12:28 PM
MD is no rival of mine and I thoroughly enjoy watching the local fans here in DC get worked up only for me to send them over the edge by saying something to the effect of "Duke plays tonight, though it must not be a big game because I don't know who we're playing." Also, they hate it when I DON'T gloat after a victory...that alone shows them that it's just another victory for us.

After UNC, I'd say UConn and Kentucky. I'd love to rekindle the State rivalry, but other than Julius Hodge dissing the Crazies before each game in Cameron, there really hasn't been much to get worked up about with them

PADukeMom
11-24-2010, 12:53 PM
We have only 1 rival & they play in Chapel Hill.

Slackerb
11-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Inside the conference it's gotta be State and MD.

lumberbaron
11-24-2010, 01:14 PM
I will grudgingly admit that Maryland is our 2nd tier rival. Other than that, none.

Do not give the Kentucky's, Kansas, and MSU's of the world the satisfaction of calling themselves our rival. They're not! We don't play them every year, they're not in our conference, the only thing that makes THEM think they're our rivals is that they hate us.

Just because I don't like Kentucky and their slimy program does not mean I'll dignify them and call them a rival.

In the words of Snoop Dog, "You's a flea and I'm the big dog. I scratch you off my b**ls with my mfin' paws."

Slackerb
11-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Haha, I love how some Duke fans think they are "denying" other teams a rivalry...really sticking it to them and making them wish they were important enough to matter to the likes of us.

Such blatent snobbery is rare.

C'mon...outside of UNC, our rivals are historically State and over the past decade would include UMD at the least.

wilko
11-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Haha, I love how some Duke fans think they are "denying" other teams a rivalry...really sticking it to them and making them wish they were important enough to matter to the likes of us.

C'mon...outside of UNC, our rivals are historically State and over the past decade would include UMD at the least.

I'll you, and raise you...

There is Duke and then there is.... fodder University.
Part of the fun for me is proving to the Fans of the vanquished, that they ARE indeed fodder afterall. With a lowercase f, and NOT Duke with a capital D.

but then that's me.

lumberbaron
11-24-2010, 02:42 PM

There are few things in life for which I am an unapologetic snob, and one of those is Duke basketball.

The fact is we have a great team, a great school with great academic, a great coach who is a great guy, and we produce great players that aren't trouble makers. For all of that we get hated on more than any other team. Our coach gets slandered unfairly (remember the devil horns last year in the Indianapolis newspaper) and our players get cursed by whole arenas and have family members harassed. Look at the level of hate that Kentucky fans have for Duke, check out their message boards. Our dislike of them isn't even close. I live in the midwest and have to deal with legions of meatheaded big 10 fans giving us a hard time every time we just want to watch a game at a bar.

You know what I say? As that old Revlon commercial used to say, "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful." I will not be meek and apologize for our program, our players, our coach, or our good academics (I've always been of the theory that a major reason we get hated on is that the smart, nerdy kids are not supposed to be good at sports too).
It's not my fault there's a collective inferiority complex out there about Duke.

So fine. You're right to hate us. We are better than you. That's my attitude.

lumberbaron
11-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I'll you, and raise you...

There is Duke and then there is.... fodder University.
Part of the fun for me is proving to the Fans of the vanquished, that they ARE indeed fodder afterall. With a lowercase f, and NOT Duke with a capital D.

but then that's me.

Amen brother.

Be gone with you peasants!

davekay1971
11-24-2010, 02:48 PM
UNC is our only rival. There are other schools who view us as a rival, but no one else who qualifies as our rival.

I actually mean this as a compliment to UNC. Their greatness as a basketball program goes back to the 50s. They have more championships than us. They lead us in the head to head. We see them 2-3 times per year. They live 8 miles down the road. In the last 10 years, they have 2 championships, we have 2. In the last 30 years, they have 4, we have 4. We've dominated not only our conference, but the national landscape, for a generation. In the last 30 years, KY, UConn, Kansas, NC State, Maryland, and other have had their moments. But no one has sustained the level that Duke and UNC have sustained either on the ACC or national level.

Slackerb
11-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah, but everything you have just said is based on who is the best competition.

That is not necessarily what a rivalry is about. A rivalry is about passion and emotion towards another school that goes beyond talent on the floor and final results at the end of the year.

For example, even though we won the National Championship last year, our rivals NC State and Maryland beat us. And the talent level between Duke and those teams wasn't even close.....they beat us because they played lights out because of the rivalry.

sagegrouse
11-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Over the decades, FWIW, here's my take on ACC teams as rivals for Duke --

1. UNC - natch
2. State - #2 rival for the longest period
3. Georgia Tech -- in the old, old days, based totally on football, this was for the championship of the South
4. Wake Forest -- neighbors, but a little passionless to be a rival
5. Clemson -- dating to the old SoCon, these were friendly but serious contests
6. Maryland -- only in recent decades -- IIRC (and there has to be a first time) we hardly ever played Maryland in football in the early years of the ACC
7. Virginia -- not really a traditional rival IMHO, but these days the Hoos love to beat Duke
8. Virginia Tech -- turning into a tough competitive series in hoops, but not much of a rival otherwise, at least not since the school was called VPI
9. Florida State -- good and close contests in hoops; one-sided contests in football. Only a competitor since it joined the ACC in the early 90s
10. Miami -- not really, although Danny Ferry set a Duke scoring record against the 'Canes during the 1980s
11. BC -- are you kidding?

Rivals outside the ACC in anything? Others have it right: UConn, Kentucky, Michigan (formerly). I would add Army and Navy in football. And I would recognize frequent matchups with St. John's, Temple, UCLA and maybe some others.

sagegrouse

lumberbaron
11-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah, but everything you have just said is based on who is the best competition.

That is not necessarily what a rivalry is about. A rivalry is about passion and emotion towards another school that goes beyond talent on the floor and final results at the end of the year.

For example, even though we won the National Championship last year, our rivals NC State and Maryland beat us. And the talent level between Duke and those teams wasn't even close.....they beat us because they played lights out because of the rivalry.

Note the key part of your statement, "We played them." We don't play Kentucky, MSU, Kansas, etc., yet if you ask those fans what teams they hate and consider a rival Duke will be no lower than 3rd on most of their lists.

They don't even make our list. That's my point. If you want to State (tradition) and Maryland (b/c of Gary era over the last 20-30 years) are our rivals I'm OK with that (though I won't admit it to them).

Starter
11-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I think Kentucky is absolutely a rival, non-conference or not. The Kentucky fans I know despise -- despise -- Duke. And I'm not so crazy about them either. On the national scene, they're sort of the yin to Duke's yang; they preach instant gratification compared to Duke's patience and team-building concepts. Not to mention, there's obviously some history between the two programs. In terms of high-profile teams at this point, it's pretty much UK, Duke, North Carolina and Kansas, then everyone else.

As for Maryland, I would say they consider us far more a rival than we consider them to be, or at least should consider them to be. I actually prefer not to give them the satisfaction of deeming them one.

moonpie23
11-24-2010, 05:26 PM
there is only one rival.........the rest are "series"....

4decadedukie
11-24-2010, 05:37 PM
It is my view that a real rivalry requires some degree of bilateral respect; without respect, the opponent is an adversary, not a rival. For this reason, I cannot agree with the numerous responses to this thread that indicated at Maryland is Duke's secondary rival. In sum, I support our "Not or Rivals" cheer/taunt as appropriate and accurate.

blazindw
11-24-2010, 06:02 PM

You can't say that rivalries aren't necessarily about competition and then seriously mention Maryland as a secondary rivalry. The only reason Maryland is even mentioned is because of the competition they've provided over the past decade. But, just because you play us tough doesn't make you a rival. Everyone tries to play their best game of the season against us. By that logic, everyone should be our rival. There's only one rival.

Note the key part of your statement, "We played them." We don't play Kentucky, MSU, Kansas, etc., yet if you ask those fans what teams they hate and consider a rival Duke will be no lower than 3rd on most of their lists.

They don't even make our list. That's my point. If you want to State (tradition) and Maryland (b/c of Gary era over the last 20-30 years) are our rivals I'm OK with that (though I won't admit it to them).

I wouldn't throw MSU onto Duke's rivalry sheet, although having grown up a Michigan fan MSU is already on my hitlist for other obvious reasons. Kentucky fans and UConn fans that I know all hate us and they mention Laettner as the reason why, among other things.

I think the answer is clear that UNC is our one and only RIVAL. I think the question that the OP presented to us is: who do WE get up for? For who do WE look in the mirror and go, "I'd love nothing more than to destroy them, rip them limb from limb"? Everyone gets up for us, but who do we get up for? I don't get up for MD games except only because they care so much and they're such vile people that I'm surrounded by. I don't want to beat them because I have a hatred towards them...I want to beat them because I want them to feel bad about themselves.

Now, whenever we play Kentucky or UConn, I think of revenge, payback, the fact that I don't like either of their programs or their history or that whenever they play us, they think they're the top dogs. I don't root for them in anything...I will pull for MD against UNC, though not openly.

mapei
11-24-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm really surprised that many of you consider NC State to be an almost-rival. I've followed Duke basketball closely since the mid-1980s, 25 years, and I can't remember a single year in which State mattered much to us or anybody else, really, in sports. (I did enjoy their path to the NC in '83, but that was almost 30 years ago.) I've never sensed an antipathy between the fan bases, either, though I might if I lived in the Triangle area. Heck, even among NC-based teams I can recall more intense passion between Duke and Wake Forest (see Davidson, P.) than between Duke and State.

Maybe State was a rival generations ago?

I'm also having trouble imagining football being relevant, but again maybe there was a time in the early-mid 20th century or so when it was big at Duke.

After UNC, I hate to admit it, but I see UMCP as our second-tier rival. I can't stand their fan base or their coach's personal style (I'll grant that he is effective as a winning coach), and I hate losing to them much more than to UConn or U-Ky. Maybe that's because I live in the DC area? The ACC also apparently considers them to be a rival.

I actually respect the U-Ky fan base, and I have generally respected their program, though the presence of Calipari makes that much harder.

CatfanMike
11-24-2010, 07:57 PM
You know what I say? As that old Revlon commercial used to say, "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful." I will not be meek and apologize for our program, our players, our coach, or our good academics (I've always been of the theory that a major reason we get hated on is that the smart, nerdy kids are not supposed to be good at sports too).

It's not my fault there's a collective inferiority complex out there about Duke.

So fine. You're right to hate us. We are better than you. That's my attitude.

And this is precisely why we hate Duke. It's not your on-the-court excellence. I can appreciate that. It's the smug, self-denial that pretends you don't have players with questionable academics in your past (see Avery, William or Dockery, Sean). Coach K is indeed a great coach--arguably the greatest college coach ever--but please spare me the preening self-congratulatory pomposity of it all.

G man
11-24-2010, 08:11 PM

Blasphemy I will hate Uconn till the day I die!

Duvall
11-24-2010, 08:30 PM

"Our" rivals? Come on, man. Visiting fans are welcome here.

Bluedevil114
11-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Duke has one rival and they along with girls and babies wear that baby blue color eight miles away. Maryland fans would say Duke is their rival but we do not see it that way. I love beating Maryland because I love to see their fans cry. Terps are not our rivals. We had a good run with them in the early 2000's but Maryland is really only good every four years. Look at their history they are like locust they come out like clockwork so we do not have to worry about them until 2014.

Read the signature.

I have been a Duke fan since I was six years old and I am now 37 years old. Have Duke pictures all over my house. I have a Duke pool table and bar stools.

I know Duke is not our rival as I graduated from Maryland, used to sleep in Cole Field House to get my student ticket to the Duke game and then sit with all my Duke gear on in the student section with nothing said to me. Used to go to class with all my Duke stuff on with nothing said to me. I go to all the home games here at Maryland including the one minute game and it wasnt but the last 10 years when their fans have taken their vulgar antics out during these Duke games.

Just so everyone knows I do go to Cameron at least twice a year but I have followed my Dukies as close as anyone even though I graduated from Maryland. I am proud to say I am a Duke fan for 31 years and my older brother made me that way even though today he is a Terp fan. Funny how things work out but I will tell you there is no bigger Duke fan in the state of Maryland as I.

Maryland is not the rival of Duke, just had some close games in the past ten years that would make you think they could be our rival. With the FU JJ game at Comcast, the one minute game when Boozer's mom got hit with a bottle, the Scheyerface signs and the most recent 23 student arrests this past season........Maryland fans make it a rival where we just make it another tough place to play in the ACC. Maryland is just the school outside of UNC with a National Championship in the past 10 years so they and their fans think they are better than they are.

Namtilal
11-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Am I the only one who is hoping that Ben turns that wheel and moves the island back to the 1970's, taking both the KY and CT squads with him?

OldPhiKap
11-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Outside of Carolina, our biggest rivalry is with history.

Jarhead
11-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Nope. There's only one rivalry, and it's just a few miles down 15-501. It's UNC-CH. It can't be State. They helped us back in the day when we stole UNC's goat...uhh...ram, held it at their Vet School until the Carolina game, and, along with the Duke cheerleaders, State's cheerleaders escorted Ramses, wool all painted with Duke Blue and State red, out onto the field just before kickoff. The twerps think of us as rivals, but we rejected their overtures. If anyone comes close, it would have to be GaTech. We started playing them in football way back in 1832, or thereabouts, and we haven't missed a year without playing them, except when Teddy R. banned college football by presidential order. It's a fact.
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/duke_bluedevil.gif GTHC

pjhw2021
11-27-2010, 01:07 PM
With the FU JJ game at Comcast, the one minute game when Boozer's mom got hit with a bottle, the Scheyerface signs and the most recent 23 student arrests this past season........Maryland fans make it a rival where we just make it another tough place to play in the ACC. Maryland is just the school outside of UNC with a National Championship in the past 10 years so they and their fans think they are better than they are.

I resent that you throw in "23 student arrests" with no context. How can we assume they were all valid when the police did this-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F24WoqiZW5E -- and then lied about it until the video came out?

Yes some Maryland students got out of control. In reality, most students wanted to go have a drink at the bars or cheer in the street (which yes, the latter is a problem) but were prohibited from going into the area by police in riot gear. When questioning why they couldn't, they were hit, pepper sprayed, or generally harassed. I attended the game and was on Route 1 afterwards. You can insult Maryland fans' dignity all you want, but I wouldn't do it using that example.

davekay1971
11-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I resent that you throw in "23 student arrests" with no context. How can we assume they were all valid when the police did this-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F24WoqiZW5E -- and then lied about it until the video came out?

Yes some Maryland students got out of control. In reality, most students wanted to go have a drink at the bars or cheer in the street (which yes, the latter is a problem) but were prohibited from going into the area by police in riot gear. When questioning why they couldn't, they were hit, pepper sprayed, or generally harassed. I attended the game and was on Route 1 afterwards. You can insult Maryland fans' dignity all you want, but I wouldn't do it using that example.

Yeah, those poor innocent Maryland students. Those 23 victims of police brutality probably did nothing wrong! And why were the police even out in riot gear? There wasn't any prior behavior from the UMd crowd to warrant that. The cops were just looking for an excuse to bust some heads! You know, I even heard the students were just holding hands singing Kumbaya and having a candlelight love vigil for their respected ACC colleagues from Durham when the police started attacking them.

We should restrict our judgement of the Maryland students to the FU JJ chants, the homophobic signs and chants, and the verbal and physical assaults on players' families. Other than that, it's a class act up there...

pjhw2021
11-27-2010, 01:36 PM
The cops were just looking for an excuse to bust some heads!

I never said all Maryland fans were classy--see how in my post I mentioned that some people really were doing wrong. But yes, minus the sarcasm in your post, what you said in that sentence is TRUE. This made national news-- the FBI conducted an investigation into the police and the arrested student in that video was freed of all charges.

As I also said in my post, insult Maryland fans' dignity all you want-- but if you wanted a riot example, use after MD won the tourney in 2002. I just think it's a weak example in comparison to the other things Duke fans hold against Maryland.

gls6
11-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Well, I'm late to this thread, but I would say that MD is our biggest rivalry outside of UNC. I'm not a Duke sports historian, but I've lived in Durham my whole life and I grew up as the Duke program was becoming a powerhouse. For someone like me, the rivalry is there and I want to see us beat them more than anyone else aside from UNC.

dyemeduke
11-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Kentucky is a rival out of conference. Sure, Duke might not play them enough to really grow the rivalry, but let's face it, Kentucky hates Duke...and personally, I hate them too. I will never forget how they treated a good man and coach in Tubby Smith (as a minority with an outside perspective, the situation reeked of lingering racism). I hate UK, especially moreso these last few years due to Cal. I hate them...and I'm not alone amongst Duke fans in this. It's not a TRUE rivalry, but UK is still our biggest out of conference rival in my opinion.

I don't post often on this board, but I really do appreciate some (most) of the posters on this site. However, I must say, this thread really shows some Duke fans to be really smug - feeding/validating the stereotype. A few of you...seriously??...

Slackerb
11-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Formula for posting in this thread:

Step 1: Qualify your opinion by telling everyone how you are the biggest Duke fan in the world.

Step 2: Discredit potential "rivals" by stating that they never beat Duke, Duke doesn't play them often enough, or that they hate you but you don't hate them.

Step 3: Bask in the smugness as others agree that Duke is so superior, it can have no rivals.

Billy Dat
11-29-2010, 11:19 AM
I think the Duke/Georgetown games have been really great since JTIII arrived on the scene. I hope they plan to keep that series going.

The St. Johns series has actually been sneakily compelling. It was obviously at its zenith in 1998/99 and 1999/00, but they have usually played us pretty tough, especially at MSG. One of my worst feelings at a live Duke game was when we coughed up that late 11 point lead in 2003, capped by Marcus Hatten stealing the ball from Daniel Ewing, getting fouled and hitting the free throw with no time left on the clock. Stomach punch.

Spret42
11-29-2010, 11:41 AM

Step 1: Qualify your opinion by telling everyone how you are the biggest Duke fan in the world.

Step 2: Discredit potential "rivals" by stating that they never beat Duke, Duke doesn't play them often enough, or that they hate you but you don't hate them.

Step 3: Bask in the smugness as others agree that Duke is so superior, it can have no rivals.

Its funny cause it's true.

Duvall
11-29-2010, 12:19 PM

I think everyone has acknowledged that Duke has one rival, and frankly that's time-consuming enough. It's not like having Missouri for a rival - hating North Carolina is a full-time job.

flyingdutchdevil
11-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I think everyone has acknowledged that Duke has one rival, and frankly that's time-consuming enough. It's not like having Missouri for a rival - hating North Carolina is a full-time job.

I fully understand where Slackerb is coming from and I also fully understand where you are coming from.

However, I see the difference in diction. I believe that Duke has one primary rival, but we also have tons of secondary rivals / heated clashes / can't-miss games / can't-miss series, such as Maryland, State, UK, Georgetown, UCON, etc. etc.

Furthermore, I agree with a lot of the posters about the smugness of many of the comments on this page. Yes - UNC is our primary rival, but the OP asked about our second biggest rival and there are a variety of suitors to fill that hole. I'd probably say Maryland, but that's because I was a freshman at Duke in '03 when Maryland and Duke really didn't like each other.

Bluedevil114
11-29-2010, 01:21 PM

I have been to every Duke Maryland game at Comcast and Cole Field House for the last 15 years and I can tell you that many not all of the Maryland fans in attendance are out of control and looking to start things with the Duke fans in attendance. As if they feel because they are Terp fans and there is some type of rivalry in their mind with Duke that they can act in some kind of "bully" mentality. I have had things thrown at me, fans getting in my face and obscenities yelled at me. All because I choose to come and enjoy the team I have supported for 31 years. The funny thing is this has only started since the late nineties. Before then it was not quite like it is today. The police may have been wrong that night but I can promise you that reactions are made based on previous behaviors.

It was just a regular season basketball game. Maryland then goes 2-2 the rest of the way with an early exit from the ACC Championship and NCAA tournament.

Starter
11-29-2010, 03:35 PM

Step 3: Bask in the smugness...

Nobody gets the irony here?

Regardless, my not wanting to consider Maryland a rival is more about not having any respect for their fans than about anything else. I would prefer not to think of them as a rival for Duke, simply because I'd imagine they would take a measure of satisfaction from it that I don't think those bottle-throwing, riot-starting, mean-spirited trolls deserve. That's my word.

pjhw2021
11-29-2010, 04:40 PM
It was just a regular season basketball game. Maryland then goes 2-2 the rest of the way with an early exit from the ACC Championship and NCAA tournament.

I'm sorry that you've had a negative experience. I've been to almost every game in the past 3 years and while verbally many fans are offensive, neither I nor anyone I know have witnessed anyone being physically violent against a Duke fan.

In my experience, almost every Duke fan I've interacted with has been extraordinarily smug and self-righteous, a la the Slackerb formula. I also had a Duke fan say "yall r a tard" (sic) and then prove he had no knowledge of the Duke team to me on a MARYLAND basketball forum. But in my time reading and interacting with this forum, I have also read posts by many well-informed fans who make valid points. I am moving past my stereotypes and I wish that Duke fans would too in regards to Maryland. There are many bad apples, especially in a school of Maryland's size, but we're not a bad bunch.

I also have to say, this is the statement that angers me the most for dismissing Maryland fans the night of that game. It may have been a regular game for Duke, but it was NOT "just" a regular season basketball game for Maryland, and for valid reasons. It was the last home game of the year, the last game ever in Comcast with Greivis Vasquez, Eric Hayes, and Landon Milbourne, it was a game in which Maryland beat an excellent team, and it was a game that gave Maryland the title of co-ACC regular season champions. We disappointed afterwards, though our game against Michigan State was a valiant effort that ended in a really "freaky" play.

Maybe Maryland was never a "true" threat last year, especially when we played Duke in your house earlier last season, but I would just like to see more Duke fans that I interact with acknowledge that there are many seasons in which we are competitive. You can qualify that with "but Maryland fans are awful" if you must, but we often are competitive. I'm happy to see that some people on this thread have said that.

I'm sorry to take up this much back-and-forth on this thread, but I needed to say this. Thanks.

Bluedevil114
11-29-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm sorry that you've had a negative experience. I've been to almost every game in the past 3 years and while verbally many fans are offensive, neither I nor anyone I know have witnessed anyone being physically violent against a Duke fan.

In my experience, almost every Duke fan I've interacted with has been extraordinarily smug and self-righteous, a la the Slackerb formula. I also had a Duke fan say "yall r a tard" (sic) and then prove he had no knowledge of the Duke team to me on a MARYLAND basketball forum. But in my time reading and interacting with this forum, I have also read posts by many well-informed fans who make valid points. I am moving past my stereotypes and I wish that Duke fans would too in regards to Maryland. There are many bad apples, especially in a school of Maryland's size, but we're not a bad bunch.

I also have to say, this is the statement that angers me the most for dismissing Maryland fans the night of that game. It may have been a regular game for Duke, but it was NOT "just" a regular season basketball game for Maryland, and for valid reasons. It was the last home game of the year, the last game ever in Comcast with Greivis Vasquez, Eric Hayes, and Landon Milbourne, it was a game in which Maryland beat an excellent team, and it was a game that gave Maryland the title of co-ACC regular season champions. We disappointed afterwards, though our game against Michigan State was a valiant effort that ended in a really "freaky" play.

Maybe Maryland was never a "true" threat last year, especially when we played Duke in your house earlier last season, but I would just like to see more Duke fans that I interact with acknowledge that there are many seasons in which we are competitive. You can qualify that with "but Maryland fans are awful" if you must, but we often are competitive. I'm happy to see that some people on this thread have said that.

I'm sorry to take up this much back-and-forth on this thread, but I needed to say this. Thanks.

Never have I ever said Maryland was not competitive. I have so much respect for Gary Williams outside of his recruiting. Since Jimmy Patsos left the recruiting has not been the same. Gary gets the most out of his team every year. His teams by the end of the year play to their potential or even higher but it was a regular season win that did not deserve the celebration that took place in College Park. That game also did not give you the title of Co-champs because both teams had another game. Maryland had to go on the road and win a tough game against VA and Duke had their final game against UNC. I understand it was the last game for Vasquez and Hayes but our next game was the last game for Scheyer, Zoubek and Thomas and we whipped our rivals UNC in a 30 point drubbing and our fan base does not go crazy (no pun intended) and have a bunch of kids arrested.

There you go saying every Duke fan is smug you have interacted with during the games. Lets just get this straight if you have been to every Duke game in the past three years you can admit that besides for the family section there is probably about 100 Duke fans outside of that section in the rest of the building. Pretty sure you are not able to speak on how the other 18,000 fans interact with Duke fans in the building.

As far as Michigan State game remember that Maryland did not come back until their starting point guard Kalin Lucas went down. If that injury does not occur it probably is not a game.

pjhw2021
11-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Never have I ever said Maryland was not competitive. I have so much respect for Gary Williams outside of his recruiting. Since Jimmy Patsos left the recruiting has not been the same. Gary gets the most out of his team every year. His teams by the end of the year play to their potential or even higher but it was a regular season win that did not deserve the celebration that took place in College Park. That game also did not give you the title of Co-champs because both teams had another game. Maryland had to go on the road and win a tough game against VA and Duke had their final game against UNC. I understand it was the last game for Vasquez and Hayes but our next game was the last game for Scheyer, Zoubek and Thomas and we whipped our rivals UNC in a 30 point drubbing and our fan base does not go crazy (no pun intended) and have a bunch of kids arrested.

There you go saying every Duke fan is smug you have interacted with during the games. Lets just get this straight if you have been to every Duke game in the past three years you can admit that besides for the family section there is probably about 100 Duke fans outside of that section in the rest of the building. Pretty sure you are not able to speak on how the other 18,000 fans interact with Duke fans in the building.

As far as Michigan State game remember that Maryland did not come back until their starting point guard Kalin Lucas went down. If that injury does not occur it probably is not a game.

My mistake, I wasn't clear about the co-champs. We were feeling pretty confident about our VA game, though, especially in comparison to the Duke game, so in essence it was the season for us.

Also, I have interacted with Duke fans outside of games. I have family members who are Duke fans. I know people from my neighborhood and go to my school who are Duke fans. As is evident just from this board there are a lot of Duke fans in the MD/VA/DC area. I have also interacted with Duke fans online in other contexts. I did not mean that the Duke fans I interacted with at games were smug, because I haven't ever spoken to a Duke fan at a Maryland game.

Channing
11-29-2010, 06:27 PM
My mistake, I wasn't clear about the co-champs. We were feeling pretty confident about our VA game, though, especially in comparison to the Duke game, so in essence it was the season for us.

Also, I have interacted with Duke fans outside of games. I have family members who are Duke fans. I know people from my neighborhood and go to my school who are Duke fans. As is evident just from this board there are a lot of Duke fans in the MD/VA/DC area. I have also interacted with Duke fans online in other contexts. I did not mean that the Duke fans I interacted with at games were smug, because I haven't ever spoken to a Duke fan at a Maryland game.

I was at the gone in 54 seconds game and my friend and I were literally scared for our own safety. I watch the Duke/UMD games each year and, each year, without fail, the UMD fans show their rear end by chanting obscenities on national television. If UMD fans really thought such behavior was inappropriate, the boosters would have done something about it. However, I have never heard any UMD fan (outside of Scott Van Pelt) publicly criticize the fans for their actions.

You can blame it on a few bad apples all you want, but the facts show that the mob mentality takes over at UMD/Duke games and everyone gets in on the "fun".

snowdenscold
11-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Gotta say I have never heard the words "beat State" sung or shouted in the fight song during my years at Duke. And there was nothing replacing them either. As I listen to it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpphcJjbF_0 , I don't see how words could fit in between "Carolina goodnight" and "so turn on the steam." Unless you pull an "O" as they do in the National Anthem and shout it out quickly.

It definitely fits. It's in the part where the trumpet are doing the 6 sixteenth notes + downbeat fanfare. If you take a look at the 4 beats in that measure, the "night" of 'Carolina goodnight' is the first beat, the sixteenth notes start the middle of that beat, then the "beat" (as in 'beat State') is on the 3rd of those notes (2nd beat of measure) - while the remaining trumpet sixteenth notes play out - and the "State" is on the 3rd beat. The measure concludes with "So" (of 'so turn on the steam') starting the next verse but on the 4th beat.

Confusing enough? Good.

After UNC, I'd say UConn and Kentucky. I'd love to rekindle the State rivalry, but other than Julius Hodge dissing the Crazies before each game in Cameron, there really hasn't been much to get worked up about with them

Julius grew on me. Especially after seeing this (particularly the Harlem/Durham and pic of Sendek ones):
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jphollow/julius.html

Bluedevil114
11-29-2010, 07:48 PM
I was at the gone in 54 seconds game and my friend and I were literally scared for our own safety. I watch the Duke/UMD games each year and, each year, without fail, the UMD fans show their rear end by chanting obscenities on national television. If UMD fans really thought such behavior was inappropriate, the boosters would have done something about it. However, I have never heard any UMD fan (outside of Scott Van Pelt) publicly criticize the fans for their actions.

You can blame it on a few bad apples all you want, but the facts show that the mob mentality takes over at UMD/Duke games and everyone gets in on the "fun".

I was at that game also and I was just telling some of my Maryland friends the other day that was the only game I actually felt uncomfortable and literally ran out of the building of course with a smile on my face. You could feel the uneasiness among the fans. With a minute to go in regulation they were preparing to storm the court.

bluepenguin
11-29-2010, 07:58 PM
It definitely fits. It's in the part where the trumpet are doing the 6 sixteenth notes + downbeat fanfare. If you take a look at the 4 beats in that measure, the "night" of 'Carolina goodnight' is the first beat, the sixteenth notes start the middle of that beat, then the "beat" (as in 'beat State') is on the 3rd of those notes (2nd beat of measure) - while the remaining trumpet sixteenth notes play out - and the "State" is on the 3rd beat. The measure concludes with "So" (of 'so turn on the steam') starting the next verse but on the 4th beat.

The "night" of "Carolina goodnight" is not only the first beat. At least not for the vocal part. In the vocal score (see: http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/images/documents/fightsong2.jpg from the Duke University Archives) the "night" is a dotted half note to be sung for three beats, with the "So" of "so turn on the steam" falling on the fourth beat, last quarter note of the measure. In order to add "beat State" you need to cut the "night" short. So if the song is SUNG as written, there is no place to insert "beat State" after "Carolina goodnight."
Maybe when I went to Duke, it was always SUNG correctly, so nobody ever tried to insert "beat State.";)

-jk
11-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Hmm... Where to start....

For the last twelve years, I've lived just outside the Beltway in MD, about ten miles from College Park.

Many of my neighbors are MD fans, including their new AD. And most of them "hate" Duke, but are quite reasonable about it. Sort of how we "hate" unc.

Unfortunately, there are just enough lunatics that I won't leave my Duke magnet on my car or otherwise make an overt Duke presence known - even though all my close neighbors already know I'm a Dukie.

I've been to 20 or 25 basketball games in College Park. But not recently. There are way too many wigged out fans there. In the old ACC, only Clemson compares. (I've never been to VaTech, or FSU.)

I've only had things thrown at me at MD and Clemson games. Sad, really.

I have a couple kids - 7 and 10 - and I wouldn't dream of taking them to Comcast. They've seen a bunch of games in Cameron, and a couple in the Verizon Center. I had them at the Final Four last season, with all the usual emotions and energy. But I just can't see taking them to MD with the current environment. It's too toxic.

So I guess I'm saying that, yes, Comcast is different.

-jk

blazindw
11-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Comcast is very different. We don't even sell tickets to the MD game through the Duke Club of Washington because it takes a certain type of crazy (like me) to go to a game there and be subjected to their ridicule without any real problems.

MD fans, on the whole, here in the DC area are simply awful. Awful. I can take trash talk, and I can dish it out...cleverly. However, I've been threatened, we had MD students bumrush a watch party last year during the game and almost incite a riot. I've had someone refuse to check me out at a grocery store, screaming at the top of her lungs "Screw Duke. I refuse to help a Duke fan." (it took all of my being to not remind her who was behind the register...I did go back proudly the day after we won with a big smile on my face and a Duke jersey on and made her check me out). Trying to set up a joint mixer with the Maryland alumni chapter here, I was met with the email of "We will never do something with Duke. Are you kidding me? Ugh." I've been on a train ride where someone willingly made fun of Jason Williams' motorcycle accident and the fact he almost died...and laughed about it and thought it was hilarious. I was at the game when Neal knocked out Nolan and the crowd celebrated like they won the national championship, hurling things at other Duke fans around us and screaming vile obscenities about Nolan's father while Nolan lay on the ground.

Bad apples at MD are not the exception. They are indeed the rule. "F-You JJ" and "Gone in 54" are not special cases, nor was last year. They rioted every single time they played us for several years. After the Final Four in '01, they destroyed a $500K cable that knocked out TV and internet to several thousands customers in College Park. So, if someone sasy that MD fans aren't normally like what was experienced last year or in '06 or in '01, I have to take exception to it. In my 3+ years here, I've had literally hundreds of cases of meeting "bad apples" from MD. I'm a grown man and don't really care so I can handle the threats and the people getting into my personal space and act maturely about it. But that doesn't mean that I should have to make that choice. No one should. But, there is rarely a week that goes by where a MD fan doesn't do something that either insults me, my friends, my family or threatens bodily harm to a Duke player or fan.

snowdenscold
11-29-2010, 11:29 PM
The "night" of "Carolina goodnight" is not only the first beat. At least not for the vocal part. In the vocal score (see: http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/images/documents/fightsong2.jpg from the Duke University Archives) the "night" is a dotted half note to be sung for three beats, with the "So" of "so turn on the steam" falling on the fourth beat, last quarter note of the measure. In order to add "beat State" you need to cut the "night" short. So if the song is SUNG as written, there is no place to insert "beat State" after "Carolina goodnight."
Maybe when I went to Duke, it was always SUNG correctly, so nobody ever tried to insert "beat State.";)

Well then yes, the archived version wouldn't technically work. The resolution is that the "goodnight" gets changes to a 1-beat quarter note and the 'beat state' fills in the rest on beats 2 and 3. (vocally that is - it doesn't matter if the music/band part stays the same)