PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins has ice in his veins

TheGame3131
11-24-2010, 10:03 AM
This is about the 4th game that he has nailed a 3 to push back a team's charge. Last night when K-State cut it to 6, there was Dawkins throwing a dagger. I remember the same thing against Marquette Monday night and Baylor last year. The guy is clutch as they come. He is not lighting up the scoring column, because he is normally the 4th or 5th option on the floor, but they are timely points.

OldPhiKap
11-24-2010, 10:32 AM
This is about the 4th game that he has nailed a 3 to push back a team's charge. Last night when K-State cut it to 6, there was Dawkins throwing a dagger. I remember the same thing against Marquette Monday night and Baylor last year. The guy is clutch as they come. He is not lighting up the scoring column, because he is normally the 4th or 5th option on the floor, but they are timely points.

AND great defense. Watch him away from the ball, he's in the guy's shoes.

Dre (and Seth) are a great boost of even more energy when they come in. Both are clutch.

theAlaskanBear
11-24-2010, 11:07 AM

As the season goes on I expect Andre to get more shot opportunities. Right now he is a scintillating 12-22 from 3 and 6-10 from 2. Remember that UConn game last year, where Dawkins stepped up, hit a 3, hit a sweet midrange, and also took it to the hoop and and layed it in over his defender on a fastbreak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnX8u8s6zG0

He has a well-rounded game and a smoothness I haven't seen. He makes shooting look near effortless.

Faison1
11-24-2010, 12:45 PM
I LOVE Dre! That kid is going to keep getting better.....I expect a Star next year.....

COYS
11-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Remember the ESPN rumors that spread baseless speculation that Dawkins would get lost in the backcourt shuffle this year and next year? I thought they were bogus then, but they seem even more absurd now. Last year, Andre had some big early games hitting open threes but he didn't do much else. This year, he's all over the place. He might be gambling for steals and blocks just a bit too much, but I bet the coaches don't mind because of the energy he is bringing. He's also gotten better at moving the ball on offense, even if he still isn't a reliable ball handler at the top of the key. And not to go off into a tangent regarding projected lineups for the future, but I think it's safe to say that the coaches are probably completely comfortable projecting Andre at the 3 when they look at potential lineups for next year. As usual, Jim Sumner and Bob Green, who continuously encouraged us to think of Andre as a 3, are spot on.

Bob Green
11-24-2010, 12:53 PM
.....I expect a Star next year.....

I'm not disagreeing with you re next year; however, he is averaging double-digit points this year, which is already Star worthy in my opinion.

juise
11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
He's definitely ready for prime time. I would say that his fantastic shooting mechanics play a big part in being a consistent shooter when pressure comes.

MCFinARL
11-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Didn't someone in another thread refer to Andre and Seth as Iceman and Maverick? That's seeming more and more apt with each game.

Channing
11-24-2010, 01:07 PM
I'll repeat my comment from last night - someone should video Andre's jumpshot and submit it to MOMA. It is a thing of beauty.

Cockabeau
11-24-2010, 01:36 PM
He is Dukes best role player Duke has had in some time

COYS
11-24-2010, 01:39 PM
He is Dukes best role player Duke has had in some time

Thomas and Zoubek wave hello with their championship rings glistening in the sun. Also, I'd be wary of running into Nate James anytime soon (although I guess ten years ago may qualify as a long time ago, so that doesn't necessarily make your point invalid).

Poincaré
11-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Andre is a Baby-faced Killer! That is all.

Indoor66
11-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I'll repeat my comment from last night - someone should video Andre's jumpshot and submit it to MOMA. It is a thing of beauty.

I may be blind, but it appears to me that Andre's shot has side-spin much like Jon's last year. Anyone else "see" this?

Kedsy
11-24-2010, 02:19 PM
I may be blind, but it appears to me that Andre's shot has side-spin much like Jon's last year. Anyone else "see" this?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I haven't noticed it. Jon's shot always looked funny to me, but Andre's just looks pretty. I'll try to pay more attention to this moving forward.

tylervinyard
11-24-2010, 02:27 PM
He does certainly seem to have ice in his veins. Big shot after big shot. It has to help with your confidence if you have the stroke he has. My excitement is that he has seemed to developed that fake, step back (or over) and pop the three a la JJ. That's going to come in real handy this year.

As far as next year goes, if the lockout is, as some say, 99% likely, and Irving and Mason stay and we only lose Nolan and Kyle, we're going to have a serious logjam in the backcourt. Kyrie, Quinn and Tyler at point. Austin and Seth at the two. Andre and Gbinijie at the three. I see Andre starting and Seth coming off the bench again. Hope Seth's ok with that. If Austin is one-and-done I guess Seth will start as a senior. But what if we get Rodney Purvis!

Looking at the future is ridiculous. Better to enjoy the moment and the moment is sweet indeed.

tylervinyard
11-24-2010, 03:40 PM
As the season goes on I expect Andre to get more shot opportunities. Right now he is a scintillating 12-22 from 3 and 6-10 from 2. Remember that UConn game last year, where Dawkins stepped up, hit a 3, hit a sweet midrange, and also took it to the hoop and and layed it in over his defender on a fastbreak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnX8u8s6zG0

He has a well-rounded game and a smoothness I haven't seen. He makes shooting look near effortless.

Thank you so much for posting that video. It really brings me back to the joy I felt throughout all of last season. This season will be special too, but we can't forget how amazing last season was, how important Scheyer, Zoubek, and Lance were to our collective success. I already miss those guys.

flyingdutchdevil
11-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Didn't someone in another thread refer to Andre and Seth as Iceman and Maverick? That's seeming more and more apt with each game.

Greg Newton did. The most fitting nicknames. These have got to stick.

I thought Andre was going to be the next Duke star. His athleticism, coupled with his 3pt shooting, make him a blend between Hendo and JJ (okay, a light blend between the two). He has NBA-potential written all over him. If he can learn to drive successfully to the rim, he will be fantastic and a potential All-American. But that time can wait. I hope he continues to the ice-cold assassin that he currently is (with the baby-face, of course).

CampbellBlueDevil
11-24-2010, 04:10 PM
AND great defense. Watch him away from the ball, he's in the guy's shoes.

His defense has improved from last year... but I wouldn't consider it great. On several occasions last night he over pursued or fell for the pump fake. And to try and get back on D he would reach out and grab the player to stop his momentum. He's gotta work on closing in on the man with the ball.

superdave
12-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Andre is 30 of 56 on 3-balls so far this season (11 games) for .536.

Anyone recalled such a good stretch out of a player from 3 recently? That's 5 attempts ger game so we're not talking small potatoes here either. Maybe this needs to be followed.

Laettner was 54 of 97 for .557 his senior year. But Laettner's seasonwas less than 3 attempts per game. Could a challenge be afoot?

gam7
12-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Anyone recalled such a good stretch out of a player from 3 recently? That's 5 attempts ger game so we're not talking small potatoes here either. Maybe this needs to be followed.

Laettner was 54 of 97 for .557 his senior year. But Laettner's seasonwas less than 3 attempts per game. Could a challenge be afoot?

His shooting percentage reflects something else that hasn't been discussed much: his shot selection has been great. He's taking shots that are available and not forcing it when a shot is not there. In his 28-point game, he took 14 3s, and, as Coach K said after the game, all but the last 3 he took were good shots. The next game against St. Louis he did not take a single 3. Yes, the St. Louis game might suggest that he could do a better job of trying to free himself with movement off the ball, but I like the fact that he is not forcing shots up if they aren't there.

Devilsfan
12-22-2010, 04:43 PM
He needs to learn from Kyle and move more, creating some open opportunities for his beautiful shots.

hq2
12-22-2010, 05:02 PM
He's getting better at it. The last game, I thought he looked great. Nice mix of shots, good selection, drove well, hit threes and free throws too. Some games he'll get a lot of shots, others he won't; it'll just depend on the team. He'll get better at
getting himself open as things develop. And beautiful is indeed the word for his shot; it's so textbook it's a work of
art. It looks better than J.J.s or Ray Allen's.

yancem
12-22-2010, 05:04 PM

The best recent 3 pt percentage I can recall from a player who shot a lot of 3's was Salim Stoudamire who made 120 of 238 (6.4 attempts per game) for .504. I'm sure that there have been better shooting percentages but that was pretty impressive. For reference Redick was 102 of 258 that year for .395.

strawbs
12-22-2010, 05:13 PM

john shurna of northwestern is shooting a 62.5% from 3 (30/48 through 9 games) this season.
I know its a different league, but Kyle Korver shot 53.6% in 52 games last year for the jazz (59/110) he was over 5% better then the next closest guy. Over 50% from 23'9" is crazy good.

DoubleDuke Dad
12-22-2010, 05:36 PM

According to the NCAA website, Dawkins in #2 in the nation in three-point shooting percentage

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/ranksummary?sportCode=MBB

(You have to click through the links)

Bob Green
12-22-2010, 10:44 PM

Anyone recalled such a good stretch out of a player from 3 recently? That's 5 attempts per game so we're not talking small potatoes here either. Maybe this needs to be followed.

I agree! Let's start tracking Dawkins' 3-point performance game by game. With the great shot selection he has demonstrated so far this season, I expect his percentage to stay high. I've been a huge Andre Dawkins fan since I followed his high school stats at Atlantic Shores Christian Academy and I'm really excited to see the overall improvement in his game.

According to the NCAA website, Dawkins in #2 in the nation in three-point shooting percentage.

Obviously, he leads the ACC in 3-point shooting percentage (.536 30/56). Reggie Jackson (Boston College) is in second place (.490 24/49), while Malcolm Delaney (Virginia Tech) is in third place (.460 29/63).

He needs to learn from Kyle and move more, creating some open opportunities for his beautiful shots.

I'm not disagreeing with what you say here, in fact, I agree with you; however, I have to believe Dawkins is doing what the coaches tell him to do because of the minutes he is playing. Perhaps they want Singler working the curls exclusively, while Dawkins drifts behind the 3-point line waiting for the opponent's defense to forget about him.

Personally, I love to see Dawkins shoot the 3-ball in transition. He is deadly on the secondary break when the defense is able to get back but doesn't get completely set and in position. Those quick threes are really sweet.

Once the defense is set and Duke is running their half court sets, I would like to see Dawkins work the baseline to take advantage of his athleticism and midrange shot.