PDA

View Full Version : So much for #1 vs #2 in Cameron

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2010, 09:18 PM
MSU goes down to Calhoun & Company. Amazing display of ineptitude from the line at game's end, from both teams.

BattierD12
11-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Both teams finished 3/14 from the line in the last few minutes.

Let's hope we keep #1 alive.

DevilHorns
11-23-2010, 09:21 PM
In a replay of the scenario of last year's championship game...

UCONN up 2 with one more FT remaining and 2.3 secs on the clock. Decides to drill the FT. Up 3. MSU had time to set a designed play, good open shot from just past mid-court... off-glass.

UCONN, welcome to the rankings.

BTW, Kemba Walker has scored over 30 pts in 3 straight games. He is easily the best player in the NCAA so far in this young season.

uh_no
11-23-2010, 09:29 PM
In a replay of the scenario of last year's championship game...

UCONN up 2 with one more FT remaining and 2.3 secs on the clock. Decides to drill the FT. Up 3. MSU had time to set a designed play, good open shot from just past mid-court... off-glass.

UCONN, welcome to the rankings.

BTW, Kemba Walker has scored over 30 pts in 3 straight games. He is easily the best player in the NCAA so far in this young season.

the scenarios were VERY different....tom izzo had a timeout which he would have called immediately if the shot was missed....meaning it would have just been a wasted point for uconn.....butler had no timeouts (i believe)...it makes a ton of difference

also 2.3 vs 5.2 seconds left (or whatever it was) is huge....with 5.2 seconsd you can run a nice inbounds play for a shot.....with 2.3 pretty much all you have is run up for a wild 3ptr or a laettner type play.....so again it makes no sense to miss in this situation

uh_no
11-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Now that I changed my signature, I would like to note that the season ends differently for uconn

i think they will actually end up better due to the brilliance of walker and because they just have young guys who hustle as hard as anyone (contrasted with stanley robinson and jerome dyson who thought a good season was their birthright after going to the final four on the work of aj price and hasheem thabeet the year before)

they obviously need to develop a wind guy, but with kemba and oriachi down low, and shabazz napier who looks to have a high ceiling, I think this huskies team will be very fun to watch

go uconn
go duke

PSurprise
11-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Who cares what the rankings are this time of year? It's going to be a great game nonetheless. Can anyone think of a bigger test we've had in Cameron since our streak of 8,354,334 (or something like that :) ) victories over non-conference opponents in Cameron??

DevilHorns
11-23-2010, 09:46 PM
the scenarios were VERY different....tom izzo had a timeout which he would have called immediately if the shot was missed....meaning it would have just been a wasted point for uconn.....butler had no timeouts (i believe)...it makes a ton of difference

also 2.3 vs 5.2 seconds left (or whatever it was) is huge....with 5.2 seconsd you can run a nice inbounds play for a shot.....with 2.3 pretty much all you have is run up for a wild 3ptr or a laettner type play.....so again it makes no sense to miss in this situation

To say the scenarios were "VERY different" is a stretch in my opinion (sure they weren't exactly the same, I'll give you that). If UCONN misses the shot, time may elapse on the scrum for a rebound, perhaps 0.5 to 1 sec for the rebound and then the time out (and consider how good UCONN was in boxing out in this game).

I think MSU got a great shot off given the stoppage from a time-out. Sure, the worst case scenario in UCONN's perspective was a tie to go to OT.

And btw, Zoubs missed the FT shot on purpose with 3.6 seconds on the clock. 3.6 seconds is much more different than 5.2.

uh_no
11-23-2010, 09:50 PM
To say the scenarios were "VERY different" is a stretch in my opinion (sure they weren't exactly the same, I'll give you that). If UCONN misses the shot, time may elapse on the scrum for a rebound, perhaps 0.5 to 1 sec for the rebound and then the time out (and consider how good UCONN was in boxing out in this game).

I think MSU got a great shot off given the stoppage from a time-out. Sure, the worst case scenario in UCONN's perspective was a tie to go to OT.

And btw, Zoubs missed the FT shot on purpose with 3.6 seconds on the clock. 3.6 seconds is much more different than 5.2.
was it 3.6? my memory was clouded by what happened after :)

Bob Green
11-24-2010, 05:54 PM
The UW Huskies have a 10 point lead on Michigan State with 2:16 left in the 1st half.

Bob Green
11-24-2010, 07:22 PM
The Spartans hang tough in the 2nd half to win 76-71. A very enjoyable game to watch.

CEF1959
11-24-2010, 07:27 PM
I so hate that sleaze-bag Jim Calhoun that I'm almost sorry MSU lost. Almost.

Actually, I guess I am sorry they lost. I'm just glad MSU isn't as good as they were hyped to be. Cuz we gotta play 'em soon, and may see 'em down the road.

hq2
11-24-2010, 07:27 PM
I saw a fair amount. Looks like a typical MSU team; decent tough front line, half court offense, not much fast breaking or outside shooting. We can handle 'em; I don't think they can run with our guards. I'd say we win by 10.

Kedsy
11-24-2010, 07:33 PM
I so hate that sleaze-bag Jim Calhoun that I'm almost sorry MSU lost. Almost.

MSU didn't lose. And what did the Michigan State/Washington game have to do with Calhoun?

CEF1959
11-24-2010, 07:55 PM
MSU didn't lose. And what did the Michigan State/Washington game have to do with Calhoun?

Oh of course you're right. UConn lost to MSU, and Calhoun is no longer coaching Washington. Sorry.

Kedsy
11-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh of course you're right. UConn lost to MSU, and Calhoun is no longer coaching Washington. Sorry.

UConn didn't play MSU. Calhoun never coached Washington. And I'm still confused.

Or are you just messin' with me?

bradvinjack
11-24-2010, 08:32 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard?date=20101123

Uconn beat MSU last night in the Maui Invitational

MSU did win today against Washington though

El_Diablo
11-24-2010, 08:32 PM
UConn didn't play MSU. Calhoun never coached Washington. And I'm still confused.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?id=303270127

Orange&BlackSheep
11-24-2010, 08:47 PM

Re-read what he wrote ... it made perfect sense if you realize he was not talking about the Washington game. Then he brought the sarcasm forth (quite well I might add).

Kedsy
11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Re-read what he wrote ... it made perfect sense if you realize he was not talking about the Washington game. Then he brought the sarcasm forth (quite well I might add).

I'm not sure how it made sense when we were discussing the Michigan State/Washington game, but whatever.

Orange&BlackSheep
11-24-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure how it made sense when we were discussing the Michigan State/Washington game, but whatever.

But as soon as he mentioned Calhoun your brain had to switch gears. At this hour, I don't blame anyone for grinding them a bit before the successful shift.