PDA

View Full Version : Lockout and Salaries

johnb
11-23-2010, 04:12 PM
There are lots of arguments about NBA salaries, including the one about supply and demand.

The only player that is mentioned in the DBR's link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5840275) is Roger Mason, Jr, a member of the player's Executive Committee. For his $1.4 million salary, he is averaging 0.5 ppg in 8 minutes/game, shooting a sizzling 1 for 12 from the floor and 1 for 3 from the foul line. As a Knicks fan, I expect such stats from our shooting guards, but I do think we could probably get a near equivalent player for a lot less money. And as a fan, I'd attend more games if the tickets were cheaper (and/or the team were better).

Though when I think lockout, I mostly think of additional reasons for Kyrie and Mason sticking around for the additional year.

COYS
11-23-2010, 07:08 PM
There are lots of arguments about NBA salaries, including the one about supply and demand.

The only player that is mentioned in the DBR's link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5840275) is Roger Mason, Jr, a member of the player's Executive Committee. For his $1.4 million salary, he is averaging 0.5 ppg in 8 minutes/game, shooting a sizzling 1 for 12 from the floor and 1 for 3 from the foul line. As a Knicks fan, I expect such stats from our shooting guards, but I do think we could probably get a near equivalent player for a lot less money. And as a fan, I'd attend more games if the tickets were cheaper (and/or the team were better).

Though when I think lockout, I mostly think of additional reasons for Kyrie and Mason sticking around for the additional year.

Yeah, but it would also be nice to be thinking about Kyle and Nolan making a nice living in the NBA after deciding to come back for their senior years. I totally understand why college basketball fans dream of having all the stars stay for four years (it would be so much fun!), but I hope that a lockout isn't the reason Mason and Kyrie would come back. If they do return, I'd want it to be because THEY want to, like Kyle and Nolan.

JasonEvans
11-23-2010, 08:08 PM

In fairness, Mason was a starter for the Spurs 2 yeas ago and averaged more than 11 ppg. Last year, he was a solid role player for them and averaged 6+ ppg. The fact that the Knicks signed him to a $1.4 mil contract and then are not really using him is hardly his fault or a problem with "the system." A guy who is a solid contributor on a good team like the Spurs probably deserves $1.4 mil or even more than that.

I think it is harder to make an NBA roster than it is to make a pro roster in any other team sport. I have no problem with NBA salaries being high.

--Jason "it would be kinda nice if Development League players got paid a bit more -- but that ain't happening" Evans

johnb
11-24-2010, 01:06 AM
In fairness..

Fairness? You have high standards. I was actually aiming for an unfair Knicks jab, but I do agree that it's very hard to make an NBA roster and that it's reasonable for players to take a healthy cut of the profits.

dcdevil2009
11-24-2010, 01:30 AM

I'm a little hazy about econ 1d and am not 100% certain about this, but i think there are some variations on supply and demand here along with opportunity costs or substitute goods. The example that comes to mind is that of movie stars. Would you rather pay $10 to watch one movie featuring an A-list star, say Leo Dicaprio, or would you rather pay $1 to see a movie featuring an actor with 1/10 of the talent, say Adrian Grenier? Personally, I think the NBA is the same type of situation where I'd rather pay $50 a ticket to see the best basketball players in the world than have cheaper tickets to see a lower quality game.

That's partially why I'm on the side of the players in the labor dispute. They're trying to make as much money as possible, which as individuals is in their best interest. The owners, on the other hand, are demanding that they be protected from themselves. Do you think it's the player's fault for accepting taking a contract for more than he's worth or the owner's fault for offering it to him in the first place?

ajgoodfella7
11-24-2010, 01:38 AM
I'm a little hazy about econ 1d and am not 100% certain about this, but i think there are some variations on supply and demand here along with opportunity costs or substitute goods. The example that comes to mind is that of movie stars. Would you rather pay $10 to watch one movie featuring an A-list star, say Leo Dicaprio, or would you rather pay $1 to see a movie featuring an actor with 1/10 of the talent, say Adrian Grenier? Personally, I think the NBA is the same type of situation where I'd rather pay $50 a ticket to see the best basketball players in the world than have cheaper tickets to see a lower quality game.

That's partially why I'm on the side of the players in the labor dispute. They're trying to make as much money as possible, which as individuals is in their best interest. The owners, on the other hand, are demanding that they be protected from themselves. Do you think it's the player's fault for accepting taking a contract for more than he's worth or the owner's fault for offering it to him in the first place?

I have to agree with you and it's not just the NBA, but all of the major pro sports. When you have a billion dollar industry I would say its only fair that the employees that drive the sport forward should earn a huge chunk of that money. That money is going to go somewhere regardless, so it might as well go to the guys that put fans in the seats. People always complain about the salaries of pro players but there is a demand to see them. People aren't paying money for tickets and concessions to go sit in an empty arena. Without the players, there is no NBA. Either the players make the money or the executives keep it.