PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Marquette (Nov. 22, 2010)

Bob Green
11-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Who was the Man-of-the-Match?

ArnieMc
11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Shall we make it unanimous?

timmy c
11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Mason's best game in Devil Blue!

CLW
11-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Not even close. Mason saved the game with his performance particularly in the 2nd Half.

coldriver10
Really, there only needs to be one option in this poll...

Great game today, MPII!

ajgoodfella7
Mason: I don't think this vote needs an explanation.

OldPhiKap
11-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Obviously Mason, although Dre deserves MAJOR props for helping to key that run and put the game down.

Damn, we've got a lot of talent. Didn't play very disciplined tonight, though.

Newton_14
11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Mason in a landslide! Awesome game and could not have come at a better time.

elvis14
11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Who was the Man-of-the-Match?

If this isn't unanimous, some folks will need to get banished to IC!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Duh!:cool:

LSanders
11-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Easiest decision in a long time

deezl
11-22-2010, 09:54 PM
:looks at Miles vote: There's always one guy.

Faison1
11-22-2010, 09:55 PM
The Mason coming out party.......happy for you, kid!!!!!!

jipops
11-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Obviously Mason, although Dre deserves MAJOR props for helping to key that run and put the game down.

ditto on that. Major props to Andre coming up with key stops in that crucial stretch. I think it speaks volumes that K put him in for that stretch. It obviously shows that he trusts Andre's defensive ability.

Namtilal
11-22-2010, 09:56 PM

Yup, I laughed at that. Either someone made a mistake, or they think that DBR MOTM is like the baseball hall of fame, and no one should be elected unanimously.

jv001
11-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Yup, I laughed at that. Either someone made a mistake, or they think that DBR MOTM is like the baseball hall of fame, and no one should be elected unanimously.

Probably the same guy that voted for unc in the preseason poll. Go Duke!

Duvall
11-22-2010, 09:58 PM

This is why the MOTM polls should always be public.

_TheFakeJWill_
11-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Exactly.... why not repost this as "Mason Plumlee MOTM" great win and cannot look forward to the winner or Kstate Gonzaga game!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Obviously a Florida voter... http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif

Bob Green
11-22-2010, 10:06 PM

I agree and obviously it is my fault this one isn't as I forgot to check the "Public" option.

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 10:07 PM

Maybe Marshall Plumlee has an account and he's upset because Mason used to pick on him when he was a kid.

pamtar
11-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Sorry, would have voted for Mason had I known (read the thread) about the collective drive for 'unanimousness' before hand. I voted for Dre though because I thought he really led the second half run. He may not have had the stats that Mason did but he played his best all around game I've seen from him yet. Plus, he got his chin dirty more than once.

Plus, I really like him! So there! :)

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Sorry, would have voted for Mason had I known (read the thread) about the collective drive for 'unanimousness' before hand. I voted for Dre though because I thought he really led the second half run. He may not have had the stats that Mason did but he played his best all around game I've seen from him yet. Plus, he got his chin dirty more than once.

I think Dre has been the most consistent all-around Dukie through the first 4 games. But this was really Mason's night IMO.

ncexnyc
11-22-2010, 10:18 PM
I never saw this coming. Mason was huge.

D.C. Devil
11-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Respec for TT's mom, though, who apparently voted tonight. We love your son and know great things are ahead for him in Duke blue!

Kedsy
11-22-2010, 10:22 PM

I'm glad someone voted for Andre. I was going to, but with all the call for unanimity at the last minute I chickened out.

mgtr
11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Is this the first time that neither Kyle nor Nolan got a single vote for MOTM? Surprising.

OldPhiKap
11-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Is this the first time that neither Kyle nor Nolan got a single vote for MOTM? Surprising.

I think it's great that we win a crucial first tough road win without Nolan, Kyle, or Kyrie being the focus.

And I am sure that the three of them would be the first to agree. (After K, of course.)

BleedsP287
11-22-2010, 10:40 PM
So great to see Mason break out in a big game. Sadly, Miles seemed to have the opposite performance, flub central there tonight. I hope he can pull it together. But grats Mason, great game.

DevilWearsPrada
11-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Mason Plumlee (clap clap clap) Mason Plumlee (clap clap clap)

Mason took authority and a key leadership role!!! Key it up, son!!! Hope that brother, Miles and Ryan join in the 3 headed monster off the glass. That would be totally awesome baby, with our shooters and other weapons of destruction.

I paced for almost the entire game! Watching games at home, gets me so nervous.

Duke: A Dynasty
11-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Uh Mason of course! Was a monster all night but especially in the 2nd half. Dre did good and KI had to many turnovers but he still impressed me.

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2010, 12:46 AM
It's still not. I'm starting to think that we will never see a unanimous night, either. Whether by mistake or not, there will always be a vote for someone other than the guy who deserved it most. I'm good with that. "One".
All that being said, Mason got my vote. By the way, for a large part of the game in chat I was I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about the many things Mason was doing wrong (and I had a lot of company)..just imagine what his game will be like when he leaves us with nothing to complain about! There is a whole season yet to play..my guess is we will find out sooner than later.

tele
11-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Plumleesque! Nice work around the rim. Some make-it-look-easy moves in the paint, don't think he even took a 3. Points were nice but Mason helped win the game with his rebounding, 6 offensive boards.

jafarr1
11-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Not really sure how people can vote for anyone besides Mason tonight.

SilkyJ
11-23-2010, 01:19 AM
Def Mason, but agree with an earlier poster Re: Dre. I think he's playing really well. With Kyle's ability to play the four, he may move into the starting lineup sooner rather than later.

Battierfan01
11-23-2010, 08:22 AM
We all know how talented Mason is, and we really got to enjoy seeing it tonight. Mason can be a very special player at Duke because he does so many things well. I look forward to seeing Mason have many, many more games like this. :D

Lord Ash
11-23-2010, 08:28 AM

Absolutely agree. If you are going to vote you should have to defend a seemingly-out-of-nowhere vote.

weezie
11-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Not really sure how people can vote for anyone besides Mason tonight.

While I agree that Mason was spectacular, watching Nolan was pretty intense, too. He was in command of that floor when it really counted in 2nd half. Looked to me like he was calming Kyrie down a bit. What a fantastic luxury to have our two seniors to settle the nerves of such an otherwise young team.
Nolan grows more impressive and steadfast each time he touches the ball, a real pillar!

flyingdutchdevil
11-23-2010, 10:25 AM
While I agree that Mason was spectacular, watching Nolan was pretty intense, too. He was in command of that floor when it really counted in 2nd half. Looked to me like he was calming Kyrie down a bit. What a fantastic luxury to have our two seniors to settle the nerves of such an otherwise young team.
Nolan grows more impressive and steadfast each time he touches the ball, a real pillar!

Couldn't agree more. Nolan has been our MVP for the early season. He has been the most consistent and does a fantastic job leading the freshman and young sophs. While Kyle is struggling to find his shot, Nolan is commanding this team perfectly.

The only downside - turnovers. But it's the beginning of the season so I'll let it slide :p

11-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Couldn't agree more. Nolan has been our MVP for the early season. He has been the most consistent and does a fantastic job leading the freshman and young sophs. While Kyle is struggling to find his shot, Nolan is commanding this team perfectly.

The only downside - turnovers. But it's the beginning of the season so I'll let it slide :p

I would also like to add Dawkins to that as well with Irving. Andre has been reliable off the bench and Kyrie has been good for 11 to 14 points every game as well. And im not to worried about Kyle. He started slowly last year as well and we all saw how that turned out. ;)

watzone
11-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Mason is a no brainer - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/bdn-goes-1-on-1-with-mason-plumlee/

Devilsfan
11-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Did one of our other bigs vote for himself?

bluepenguin
11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
By the way, for a large part of the game in chat I was I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about the many things Mason was doing wrong (and I had a lot of company)..
Based on the collective thinking here, Mason is the MOTM. His stats underscore it. HOWEVER, like Cameron, I too was a little disappointed in Mason's overall performance. He seemed to have soft hands (remind anyone of another center we had here?). He had quite a few rebounds ripped out of his hands, missed some defensive assignments leading to easy layups, and lost the ball a number of times as he put it on the floor instead of going up with it. Before firing off a nasty response to me, take the time to rewatch the game and focus on the things I just mentioned. You will be surprised.
I know, we can always find something to complain about, since we will never achieve perfection. I still like Mason and believe his continued development will be the key to the success of this team, much like Z. We clearly have the guards and outside game. If Mason becomes a monster underneath, like he is showing signs of, Duke will be really hard to beat.

PADukeMom
11-23-2010, 12:07 PM
MP2 has my vote.

11-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Based on the collective thinking here, Mason is the MOTM. His stats underscore it. HOWEVER, like Cameron, I too was a little disappointed in Mason's overall performance. He seemed to have soft hands (remind anyone of another center we had here?). He had quite a few rebounds ripped out of his hands, missed some defensive assignments leading to easy layups, and lost the ball a number of times as he put it on the floor instead of going up with it. Before firing off a nasty response to me, take the time to rewatch the game and focus on the things I just mentioned. You will be surprised.
I know, we can always find something to complain about, since we will never achieve perfection. I still like Mason and believe his continued development will be the key to the success of this team, much like Z. We clearly have the guards and outside game. If Mason becomes a monster underneath, like he is showing signs of, Duke will be really hard to beat.

Only times I recall him losing it like that was because someone would not block out and 2 people would be ripping at Mason. Kinda hard to hold onto the ball with 2 guys grabbing it. And his D was kind of bad but thats probably due to he has been prone to fouling to much and he tryed to be a little less agressive on D. Hope he gets a nice balance though and continues to improve.

SilkyJ
11-23-2010, 12:56 PM

I noticed Miles doing those things, but not Mason as much. Guess I'll have to rewatch...

elvis14
11-23-2010, 03:34 PM

I had just the opposite reaction to Mason's game last night. Despite, Mason doing some things that could be picked apart (like you've done) I was thrilled with Mason's overall performance. I'm not being nasty, I just saying that I could rewatch the game and see everything you are talking about and still have the opposite reaction. I'm not looking for perfection at this point in the season so I'll just have to settle for dominance!

Mason was easily the MOTM. That doesn't mean that others didn't do well but this isn't the post game thread, it's the MOTM thread and last night there was only one!

BD80
11-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Watching Mason last night was like watching Cole Aldrige in that one tournament game in his freshman year. He had not received much PT throughout the year because Kansas had a deep frontcourt, but he was forced to play because of an injury and/or foul trouble. Cole came in and just dominated. It was a while (years) before he was able to reach that level of performance consistently, but it was expected by KU every game thereafter.

Mason had a great game, and that should be celebrated. He will have more great games, but every game won't be great. Picking at him for being behind his man (and getting a block) or losing a rebound is silly. That level of scrutiny is unfair, particularly for a sophmore playing for Coach K. Other than Elton Brand, has any Duke big man lived up to such standards in so few games?

Mason is great, let us revel in the good. Save the criticism for carolina and HB.

Kedsy
11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Watching Mason last night was like watching Cole Aldrige in that one tournament game in his freshman year. He had not received much PT throughout the year because Kansas had a deep frontcourt, but he was forced to play because of an injury and/or foul trouble. Cole came in and just dominated. It was a while (years) before he was able to reach that level of performance consistently, but it was expected by KU every game thereafter.

Except Cole Adrich more or less lived up to the expectations. It didn't take a while -- not years at all; just one off-season. The tournament game you mentioned was in the Final Four in 2008 (against UNC, I might add). In 2008-09 (the next season), Aldrich averaged 14.9 points, 11.1 rebounds, and 2.7 blocks per game. It just took that one game to set him free.