PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 82 Western Kentucky 55

DU82
11-21-2010, 05:44 PM
After three games against BYU, USC (Southern Cal) and Auburn, the Duke women returned home to play against Western Kentucky. The Hilltoppers aren’t at the same level as our first three opponents, and it showed in an 82-55 win by the Blue Devils.

The game started close, with the score 18-16 Duke at about the ten minute mark. We finished the half on a 22-7 run, to break away and lead 40-23 at the half. On offense, we shot over 50%, and had 23 assists , to 21 turnovers. Many of the turnovers were aggressive plays or attempts at assists that just missed. As the team gets more used to playing together, that total should go down.

Overall, the team defense, especially on-ball pressure, is very good, and as always, we’ll win or lose on D. At one point when I checked, WKU almost had as many turnovers as points (23 to 25) and ended up with 33. As Coach P tried different combinations, usually with three or four freshmen in the game, WKU was able to score a bit more in the second half.

Most impressive in my mind was the 17 steals. Chloe Wells had three in only ten minutes (she was clobbered from behind on a break (no intentional foul called) and looked like she tweaked her ankle when she went down…she did come back in the game briefly), and Jasmine Thomas four. Chloe, in particular, is able to strip the ball one-on-one as the opposing point guard dribbles down court. Hopefully, this will continue against a little tougher competition.

Krystal Thomas played much better, looking for the ball and being ready to shoot. She started the game off with a nice jumper, and followed up with a steal on the other end. On defense, she didn’t get as lost as she had the first two home games, and as always gathered boards, tied with Richa Jackson with seven to lead the team. Much improved from last week.

Jasmine Thomas scored early and often (16 total) and was her usual good self. It was nice to see Shay Selby back on the Cameron floor, and at one point in the stands (after a dive to try and save a ball.) She had a couple of beautiful assists on drive and dish moves. I expect she’ll earn her starting position back from Wells, although not by any fault of Chloe.

Kathleen Scheer continued her good play, with six rebounds and a couple of long three-point bombs. Karima Christmas didn’t hit as many shots as in the previous games (1-8) but was 4-4 from the line (two fouls on drives) and overall was solid as usual.

Haley Peters actually led the team with 17 points, with a mix of good shots (8-11). Chelsea Gray continues to work back from an injury, and both she and Richa drove the ball to the basket aggressively (in a good way.) Tricia Liston had a nice assist and also a basket on a nice off-the-ball move. Allison Vernerey only played four minutes, none in the second half. (I assume that she was hurt or sick.)

A much better crowd than Monday against USC, the weekend day game makes a big difference, especially (and obviously) with the younger kids in attendance.

Next week, four games on the road, returning December 6th against Texas A&M.

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks again for another great recap DU82. They looked really good all over, but I admit getting worried when Western Ky got within 2 as we neared the 20 point mark. My favorite play was the halfcourt lob then tip to the breaking shooter (I think it Wells with the tip to Gray for the layup)...that one belongs on some highlight reels tonight.

jimsumner
11-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Wells rolled an ankle. McCallie says she should be fine.

McCallie said that Vernerey didn't feel right. Would not comment on whether this was related to her earlier head injuries.