PDA

View Full Version : Football/basketball schedule conflict on 11/27.

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Good news / bad news here. The game is thankfully (for tailgaters) not a noon kickoff, it's at 3:30. The bad news is that do to some seriously bad scheduling on Duke's part, the basketball game vs. Oregon is at 4:00. I blame Duke entirely for this. The athletic dept. knew when it scheduled the basketball game that Duke was playing not just any football game that day, but it's LAST football game of the season, and that it would be against the holes. They also had no idea what our record might be, for all they knew this could be a game that we were playing for bowl eligibility. Way to go, people. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/14.gif

note...goduke.com has not posted the game time yet, but theacc.com has.
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/acc-m-footbl-sched-full.html

Duvall
11-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Good news / bad news here. The game is thankfully (for tailgaters) not a noon kickoff, it's at 3:30. The bad news is that do to some seriously bad scheduling on Duke's part, the basketball game vs. Oregon is at 4:00. I blame Duke entirely for this. The athletic dept. knew when it scheduled the basketball game that Duke was playing not just any football game that day, but it's LAST football game of the season, and that it would be against the holes.

The game time was almost certainly set by Oregon, and the game was scheduled around the home dates for the Trailblazers. Don't really see the point in blaming Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2010, 10:08 AM
The game time was almost certainly set by Oregon, and the game was scheduled around the home dates for the Trailblazers. Don't really see the point in blaming Duke.
I'm not blaming the time, I'm blaming the date. Both parties agreed to that one. Oregon's next football game is Friday, not Saturday..they avoided the conflict on their end.

killerleft
11-21-2010, 10:26 AM
You're right, CB&B. Duke messed up.

Love ya, Kyle. You'll look good coming from my Cisco DVR. 'Cause...

It's football season. It's the Sheep. Wallace Wade calls, and there's a bell I have to help deliver.

Go Duke! 9F to the tenth!

Reilly
11-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Blazers have a home date Friday night, then hit the road. Meaning all day Saturday and Sunday theoretically open (unless concerts, the circus, whatever in town). Maybe Duke did consider the football game and was thinking/guessing it would be a noon game, so opted for 4 pm, realizing there was a chance there would be a conflict but trying to avoid a conflict?

pbc2
11-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Most gametimes are set by the networks nowadays, but with both on the same day, it was pretty likely they would conflict, so Duke had to know that.

Kimist
11-21-2010, 12:06 PM
During the unc/ncsu game football yesterday, the announcers said something to the effect "we don't know WHAT game/WHERE yet but we will be the air next Saturday."

Is there any way the unc game might be in the list, and perhaps a (rescheduled) noon game?

(Heck, that's when I thought it was all along.......:confused:)

k

Duvall
11-21-2010, 12:09 PM
During the unc/ncsu game football yesterday, the announcers said something to the effect "we don't know WHAT game/WHERE yet but we will be the air next Saturday."

Is there any way the unc game might be in the list, and perhaps a (rescheduled) noon game?

(Heck, that's when I thought it was all along.......:confused:)

k

No. The announcements were made after yesterday's games.

duke98
11-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't understand the 4 pm start time for the basketball game. That's 1 pm in Portland - why not a 4 pm game (PST), which translates to 7 pm EST? Then at least the overlap would only be 1/2 hour. I'm guessing we can blame Fox Sports for this, since they're covering the game.

Personally, I'm a little relieved. I got my grad degree at Oregon and I love my Ducks. I wasn't looking forward to rooting against them...now I have a good reason not to watch the game.

gewwang
11-21-2010, 12:30 PM
At least the basketball game is against a team that just lost to Kentucky 79-48 in the same venue.

Bob Green
11-21-2010, 12:33 PM
At least the basketball game is against a team that just lost to Kentucky 79-48 in the same venue.

Kentucky beat the Portland Pilots not the Oregon Ducks.

Duvall
11-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Blazers have a home date Friday night, then hit the road. Meaning all day Saturday and Sunday theoretically open (unless concerts, the circus, whatever in town). Maybe Duke did consider the football game and was thinking/guessing it would be a noon game, so opted for 4 pm, realizing there was a chance there would be a conflict but trying to avoid a conflict?

Perhaps. Easy to understand why a Sunday afternoon game in Oregon during the semester would be less than desirable, though.

Bob Green
11-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Perhaps. Easy to understand why a Sunday afternoon game in Oregon during the semester would be less than desirable, though.

An excellent point as it is 110 miles from Eugene to Portland.

Devilsfan
11-21-2010, 12:56 PM
My solution DVR the BB game and be in Wallace Wade supporting our students.

-jk
11-21-2010, 01:37 PM
An excellent point as it is 110 miles from Eugene to Portland.

And a good 2,800 miles back to Derm. Perhaps they wanted just a bit more time to get ready for MSU on Wednesday.

-jk

Newton_14
11-21-2010, 01:48 PM
My solution DVR the BB game and be in Wallace Wade supporting our students.

That is my plan exactly but it still stinks. The BB game should have been played on a different date. I realize there are a zillion factors that go into it, but there still should have been a concerted effort on our part to avoid this. Playing in Oregon's arena would have made it easier to avoid the conflict. (As well as helping with the "Duke never plays true roadgames blah blah blah")

gewwang
11-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Kentucky beat the Portland Pilots not the Oregon Ducks.

Whoops. Well Ken Pom has Portland ranked 10 spots higher than Oregon so even more reason to watch the football game live and then basketball on DVR afterwards.

http://kenpom.com/rate.php

DU82
11-21-2010, 02:20 PM
And a good 2,800 miles back to Derm. Perhaps they wanted just a bit more time to get ready for MSU on Wednesday.

-jk

And avoid traveling on Sunday, the busiest travel day of the year?.

TV sets the day/time, so no sense complaining about it (not you, jk, others in this thread.). Set the DVR to record the basketball game, and come watch the football team get the bell back from the cheating Smurfs.

Dev11
11-21-2010, 04:15 PM
And avoid traveling on Sunday, the busiest travel day of the year?.

TV sets the day/time, so no sense complaining about it (not you, jk, others in this thread.). Set the DVR to record the basketball game, and come watch the football team get the bell back from the cheating Smurfs.

The only problem with that plan is you KNOW they will announce the basketball score at the football game.

Bob Green
11-21-2010, 04:59 PM
The only problem with that plan is you KNOW they will announce the basketball score at the football game.

Seeing as I'm going to be in Portland at the basketball game, I hope they announce the football score at the basketball game.

devildeac
11-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Seeing as I'm going to be in Portland at the basketball game, I hope they announce the football score at the basketball game.

Or you could communicate with someone you know at Brunchgate who will be in WW that afternoon;).

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Or you could communicate with someone you know at Brunchgate who will be in WW that afternoon;).
It's true..devildeac can text AND yell at the refs at the same time. I've been witness to it.

devildeac
11-21-2010, 06:41 PM
It's true..devildeac can text AND yell at the refs at the same time. I've been witness to it.

Yep, I'm amphibious.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/laughing/rofl.gif
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/laughing/rolling.gif

Indoor66
11-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Yep, I'm amphibious.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/laughing/rofl.gif
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/laughing/rolling.gif

In surgery as well?

devildeac
11-21-2010, 08:05 PM
In surgery as well?

Don't perform surgery but I am OK with my left hand with the procedures I do but am right-handed almost exclusively, except for batting. But, by the 9th grade, I wasn't very good hitting from the left side of the plate, batting about .143:(.

But I will try to keep track of the BB game somehow from WW. Bob, are you reading?

Bob Green
11-21-2010, 08:39 PM
But I will try to keep track of the BB game somehow from WW. Bob, are you reading?

Yep. I'll have my daughter text you guys for updates as we enjoy the BB game.

CEF1959
11-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Me too. See ya there, Bob!

It'll be interesting to see how many Duck fans are there. They've got a huge fan base in Portland, and some of them will show up to see Duke. And their marketing people have been hyping the Kyle/E.J. thing big.

But they tend to be fair-weather fans. If things aren't going well for Oregon, look for lots of green and gold wandering out sometime in the third quarter.

blazindw
11-22-2010, 04:36 PM
But they tend to be fair-weather fans. If things aren't going well for Oregon, look for lots of green and gold wandering out sometime in the third quarter.

I hope you're all out of there by the 3rd quarter too! ;)

Devilsfan
11-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Isn't that the school who's football team played tOSU in the Rose Bowl game earlier in 2010?