PDA

View Full Version : Want to know what network the game is on?

MulletMan
11-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Head on over to GoDuke.com (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726) and take a look in the far right column titled "Media".

If a game is listed as ESPN3.com, then its only on ESPN3.com, and only your cable or internet provider can tell you if you have access to ESPN3.com. If a game is listed on ESPN/2/U, then its probably also available on ESPN3.com. Games on FSN are not on ESPN3.com. Games on Raycom are sometimes available on the Raycom website, as was the case with the ACC tourney in 2010. Games on Raycom and ESPN/2/U are most likely blacked out on ESPN in ACC markets.

hurleyfor3
11-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Want to know what chanel the game is on?

Number 5, perhaps?

Duke Basketball 2011. It even smells great.

MulletMan
11-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Number 5, perhaps?

I've no idea what you're talking about, so here's where I'd put a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head if I had the .jpeg file handy.

However, I will say that the word "network" is probably more apropos since people all over the country have different channels on their TV provider. :-)

chrisheery
11-19-2010, 05:43 PM
I think he is referring to the fact that you wrote chanel instead of channel. Chanel makes perfume. I get it, I guess, but not sure it is funny.

SilkyJ
11-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Good call on this MulletMan.

If I may be so bold -- I'd suggest leaving this as a sticky but not closing it, as there will be a few games later in the year that will only be on FSN South or Raycom, etc. and us out-of-towners will be interested in websites showing a video stream (I know I watched at least 2 games via Justin.tv last year, for example...). Anyone with a link can then post it here.

On a related note, it is amazing to see just how many of our games are nationally televised.

IrishDevil
11-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Since this question has come up before the last few games, it might also be worth noting in this sticky that Espn3 is a website, Espn3.com, not another Espn TV channel.

juise
11-20-2010, 01:13 AM
I think he is referring to the fact that you wrote chanel instead of channel. Chanel makes perfume. I get it, I guess, but not sure it is funny.

I got the play on words too and had a similar reaction. It was a bit of a reach. Not quite as big of a reach as LDIII as an ACC point guard, but in the same ballpark (and I'm the one who loved the "Dork Poll" nickname :)).

hurleyfor3
11-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Good Lord, we really are (still) college basketball's touchiest fanbase. I was hoping this sentiment would extend to making sure a stickied thread title is spelled correctly, but to no avail.

MulletMan
11-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Number 5, perhaps?

Good Lord, we really are (still) college basketball's touchiest fanbase. I was hoping this sentiment would extend to making sure a stickied thread title is spelled correctly, but to no avail.

Yeah... it was spelled correctly.

chan·nel
[chan-l] noun, verb, -neled, -nel·ing or ( especially British ) -nelled, -nel·ling.
–noun
1. the bed of a stream, river, or other waterway.
2. Nautical . a navigable route between two bodies of water.
3. the deeper part of a waterway.
4. a wide strait, as between a continent and an island.
5. a course into which something may be directed: He hoped to direct the conversation to a new channel.
6. a route through which anything passes or progresses: channels of trade.
7. channels, the specific, prescribed, or official course or means of communication: In an emergency he was able to reach the governor without going through channels.
8. a groove or furrow.
9. a means of access: He considers the Senate a channel to the White House.
11. (in jazz or popular music) a bridge.
12. a frequency band of sufficient width for one- or two-way communication from or to a transmitter used for television, radio, CB radio, telephone, or telegraph communication.

Cha·nel
[shuh-nel; Fr. sha-nel] Show IPA
–noun
Ga·bri·elle  /gabriˈɛl/ Show Spelled[ga-bree-el] Show IPA, ( “Coco” ), 1882–1971, french fashion designer.

—Can be confused:  channel, Chanel, charnel.

bluepenguin
11-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah... it was spelled correctly.

chan·nel
[chan-l] noun, verb, -neled, -nel·ing or ( especially British ) -nelled, -nel·ling.
–noun

12. a frequency band of sufficient width for one- or two-way communication from or to a transmitter used for television, radio, CB radio, telephone, or telegraph communication.

I am not exactly sure from what dictionary you found that as none of the ones I use are that confused. However, my grammar books do point out that "Want to know what network the game is on?" should be changed to "Want to know on what network the game is being shown?" :cool:

MulletMan
11-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I am not exactly sure from what dictionary you found that as none of the ones I use are that confused. However, my grammar books do point out that "Want to know what network the game is on?" should be changed to "Want to know on what network the game is being shown?" :cool:

True! :cool:

However, being from the Midwest, we like to end sentences and questions in prepositions.

And by the way... my definition post was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. It kind of doesn't appear that way.

-jk
11-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I've added an entry in the FAQ sticky (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3217-FAQ-TV-Coverage-SnrubChat-Compliance-HPR-%28aka-9F-%29&p=449124#post449124) for this, and am unsticking this thread. (We don't want too many stickies, and the cumulative +/- moved in!)

Feel free to bounce it when you have network coverage questions.

-jk