PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Colgate Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

MChambers
11-19-2010, 08:01 AM
We're about 12 hours away from tipoff and no thread yet? I think the fans here are getting overconfident. Come one, folks, step it up.

I don't know anything Colgate, other than the toothpaste, and what I glean from Pomeroy, which is that Colgate doesn't put much pressure on the ball, doesn't shoot particularly well, and has a lot of its shots blocked.

What should we be looking for? As DBR points out, it will be interesting to see if we focus on feeding the post. Also, we learn a little more about the big lineups versus the small, although I fear that we won't learn much, given that Colgate doesn't seem very strong.

DukieInBrasil
11-19-2010, 08:20 AM
I don't know anything Colgate, other than the toothpaste, and what I glean from Pomeroy, which is that Colgate doesn't put much pressure on the ball, doesn't shoot particularly well, and has a lot of its shots blocked.

What should we be looking for? As DBR points out, it will be interesting to see if we focus on feeding the post. Also, we learn a little more about the big lineups versus the small, although I fear that we won't learn much, given that Colgate doesn't seem very strong.
We saw feeding the post, or at least getting it to a big guy, vs. Miami early on several occasions. I imagine we'll see it again here.
I wonder if Ryan keeps the starting gig. He played about as good of a game as he's had at Duke vs Miami. I'm kinda surprised that he doesn't have any assists yet despite having passed the ball well. I think he starts again, and I think that Miles will have a huge game by lighting a fire under his own arse.
I'm also looking for Kyrie not to pick up 2 quick cheap fouls. He could pick up a double double.

flyingdutchdevil
11-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Is it fair to say that Colgate is clearly inferior to both Princeton and MofO? If so, I could easily see a 40 point spread and us hitting a 100.

Casey and Todd must be excited about playing time!

Indoor66
11-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Colgate starts with a "C" and is in the Ivy League, maybe Greybeard could be of assisance on info about Colgate.

flyingdutchdevil
11-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Colgate starts with a "C" and is in the Ivy League, maybe Greybeard could be of assisance on info about Colgate.

Colgate isn't in the Ivy League. It's in the Patriot League.

COYS
11-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Kenpom projects Colgate to be the worst team we will play all season. Hopefully we'll come out sharp, execute well on both ends of the floor, and get a little rhythm heading into our tougher matchups in KC.

dukeballboy88
11-19-2010, 09:26 AM
i got dorect tv and it seems they dont offer espn3? so how can i see the game?

Gewebe14
11-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Cornell is in the Ivy League. Easy to get them confused as they are both in upstate NY (middle of no-where).

Colgate is good at hockey, but I think their other sports generally aren't competitive at the top college levels.

COYS
11-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Cornell is in the Ivy League. Easy to get them confused as they are both in upstate NY (middle of no-where).

Colgate is good at hockey, but I think their other sports generally aren't competitive at the top college levels.

I hope Greybeard is only slightly angered . . .

CLW
11-19-2010, 09:59 AM
i got dorect tv and it seems they dont offer espn3? so how can i see the game?

ESPN 3 is online ONLY. If I recall correctly, you need to have an ISP that offers ESPN3access. Thankfully, mine (Cox) does.

MulletMan
11-19-2010, 10:18 AM
My lovely wife is a Colgate alum. I've visited the campus a couple of times and find it to be lovely, though in the middle of nowhere.

The university is, as some have pointed out, in the Patriot League and hockey is indeed the biggest sport on campus. (Aside from women's tennis, of course... as my wife played). ;)

Do not confuse them with Cornell, as they are bitter rivals and it would be like someone confusing Duke and UNC.

Their sports programs have enjoyed varying levels of success. Football made the D-1A playoffs just a few years back. After that run, their head coach, Dick Biddle, was considered for the Duke coaching vacancy.

Men's basketball made the dance in 1995 and 1996 (Where they lost to UConn by 3) while being led by their most famous basketball alum, Adonal Foyle who played for the Warriors and someone else... Magic perhaps?

Last season they finished 10-19 (6-8) with their most notable win coming over Patriot League champ Holy Cross. For comparisons sake, they beat NC Central 75-54 while we beat NCCU 121-56 three years ago just after they moved up to D-1. They lost their leading scorer from last year, Kyle Roemer who averaged about 19 ppg, but return 9 letterman and 3 starters including 6'10 C Nick Pascale and 6'5 Jr Forward Yaw Gyawu who dropped 15 and 5 last year. So they've got a little size there and with a 6'11 freshman C... maybe those guys get in a get a little work against the Plumlees. In general, last season, they hung close in the first half of games and then faded hard in the second half. They didn't shoot the three very much last year, but were decent from the FT line... perhaps that will be a test for our bigs if they're trying to get inside.

All in all, it should be a walk, but perhaps a time to work on some things. This team will come out playing hard, so the first half might be close.

HCheek37
11-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Do not confuse them with Cornell, as they are bitter rivals and it would be like someone confusing Duke and UNC.

Not to be technical but its interesting to mention that Colgate's athletics page mentions Cornell as a rival but Cornell mentions Harvard as a main rival...seems a little like NC State or Maryland claiming Duke as a rival.

Duke should dominate again tonight...I'd like to see a stronger finish and hopefully some aggressive rebounding from Miles.

Olympic Fan
11-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Football made the D-1A playoffs just a few years back. After that run, their head coach, Dick Biddle, was considered for the Duke coaching vacancy.

Men's basketball made the dance in 1995 and 1996 (Where they lost to UConn by 3) while being led by their most famous basketball alum, Adonal Foyle who played for the Warriors and someone else... Magic perhaps?

nice summary of Colgate ... I've always loved the name of its location. Although usually listed as Hamilton, N.Y., it's actually "The Village of Hamilton" ...

Thanks for mentioning Dick Biddle ... the reason he was in the mix at Duke is that he was a Duke graduate -- a star linebacker during the Leo Hart years (when I was at Duke). He's had great success at Colgate -- nine straight years with at least seven wins ... six conference titles and a 113-51 record going into this season.

On the other hand, sorry that you mentioned Adonal Foyle, who was a MAJOR Duke recruiting target in the '90s. There was some bitterness when he picked Colgate over Duke (due apparently to the influence of his guardians who both taught at Colgate).

flyingdutchdevil
11-19-2010, 10:36 AM

I think I understand now that this is sarcasm. My sarcasm-dar is clearly off today.

Mal
11-19-2010, 10:41 AM

I'm not sure I'd even go there with hockey at Colgate, although it depends on the definition of "good," I suppose. It's the school's most prominent sports team, but at best, they're arguably the historically 6th or 7th best program in the ECAC, which is college hockey's lone equivalent to the mid-major. Without looking, I'd venture that they're made the NCAA tournament no more than 5 times in probably half a century since the ECAC was formed. I'd say they're a bottom quartile D-1 hockey program. [Send me a bottle of scotch, greybeard?]

But that's neither here nor there. Back to basketball. For totally irrational reasons that I should have let go of years ago, I want our guys to absolutely humiliate their basketball team tonight. Destroy. Like by 50+ points. Let's go, boys. A nice 32-7 opening would be nice to see.

PumpkinFunk
11-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Nothing to do with Colgate, but I just walked through Kville to go to Card gym, and talked to the first group in line. They were there around 3 AM last night. Major dedication, right there. It'll also lead to them getting burned out and sick, but I approve of the dedication, for sure.

sagegrouse
11-19-2010, 11:10 AM
My lovely wife is a Colgate alum. I've visited the campus a couple of times and find it to be lovely, though in the middle of nowhere.

My favorite Colgate story is not really about Colgate:

Remember Paul Dietzel, the coach who made his reputation at LSU with the "Chinese Bandits" (in less PC times) and a national championship and who was called "Pepsodent Paul," because of his glowing smile? Well, Dietzel left LSU for West Point, and after a few years there decided to try his luck with the South Carolina Gamecocks.

Reporters naturally asked Frank Howard, the folksy Clemson coach, how he viewed playing against a legendary coach like Dietzel. "I look forward to playing 'Colgate Paul,'" remarked the Baron of Barlow Bend. "Colgate Paul? Don't you mean Pepsodent Paul," asked the reporter. "Naw," said Howard, "Even Colgate beats him," which, in fact Colgate had done to one of Dietzel's Army teams.

sagegrouse
'To make other geezers feel even older, does anyone remember the sign at a Duke-Clemson football game back in the day? "Frank Howard Wears Dope Shop Ties."'

airowe
11-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Nothing to do with Colgate, but I just walked through Kville to go to Card gym, and talked to the first group in line. They were there around 3 AM last night. Major dedication, right there. It'll also lead to them getting burned out and sick, but I approve of the dedication, for sure.

That's NateJames. Was it the Crazie-Talk guys?

dchen09
11-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Ha, I remember camping out overnight for an exhibition game. It was fun though kind of pointless lol. Though I guess now I can say I did it :-P

BigZ
11-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I have Time Warner in Raleigh and I don't believe I get ESPN 3 yet, even though they claim to have cleared up the dispute. I can't get it online either.

nocilla
11-19-2010, 11:51 AM
We saw feeding the post, or at least getting it to a big guy, vs. Miami early on several occasions. I imagine we'll see it again here.
I wonder if Ryan keeps the starting gig. He played about as good of a game as he's had at Duke vs Miami. I'm kinda surprised that he doesn't have any assists yet despite having passed the ball well. I think he starts again, and I think that Miles will have a huge game by lighting a fire under his own arse.
I'm also looking for Kyrie not to pick up 2 quick cheap fouls. He could pick up a double double.

I wonder if Miles and Kelly will start this game? Coach K said he was mixing lineups just to see what was working and these 2 have not started together yet. I know based on the first 2 games Mason and Kelly would be starting but I wonder if K gives Miles equal opportunity.

gwlaw99
11-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Is the game televised nationally or only ESPN3? Nevermind found answer on first page.

MulletMan
11-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey, did anyone hear that there's an actual Duke game tonight?

timmy c
11-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Hey, did anyone hear that there's an actual Duke game tonight?

A real game tonight? I thought Duke was playing a scrimmage against Shawn Kemp’s illegitimate children. Wait! Now I remember, it’s Pearl Drops Tooth Polish University. :p

jimsumner
11-19-2010, 03:29 PM
nice summary of Colgate ... I've always loved the name of its location. Although usually listed as Hamilton, N.Y., it's actually "The Village of Hamilton" ...

Thanks for mentioning Dick Biddle ... the reason he was in the mix at Duke is that he was a Duke graduate -- a star linebacker during the Leo Hart years (when I was at Duke). He's had great success at Colgate -- nine straight years with at least seven wins ... six conference titles and a 113-51 record going into this season.

On the other hand, sorry that you mentioned Adonal Foyle, who was a MAJOR Duke recruiting target in the '90s. There was some bitterness when he picked Colgate over Duke (due apparently to the influence of his guardians who both taught at Colgate).

Adonal Foyle is a very interesting story. He was a heavily-recruited 6-9, 260-pounder, a prize in the high school class of 1994. He narrowed his choices to Duke, Syracuse and Colgate.

We know which school doesn't belong on this list, at least in a basketball context. But Foyle was a native of the Grenadines, moved to the United States as a teenager and was adopted by two Colgate professors.

So, I guess it makes sense that he elected to go to Colgate. Then again, I recall some quotes at the time that suggested that he thought Duke and Colgate were athletic and academic equals. So, perhaps some salesmanship entered into that decision.

He would have looked great in Duke blue. We're talking 20 points and a dozen boards per-game-good. In 1997 he established an NCAA record (since broken) with 6.43 blocks per game. Duke's entire team only averaged 4 per game last season. Put him on that 1997 Duke team and start drooling.

Still, he led Colgate to the 1995 and 1996 Patriot League titles and its only two NCAA Tournament appearances. He then played 12 seasons in the NBA, where he specialized in blocking shots, rebounding and not scoring.

But his off-court career is even more interesting. Foyle has gained an international reputation as a political activest, humanitarian, and poet. Yes, he's a published poet. He's funded groups dedicated to campaign finance reform, campus political involvement and third-world medical care.

So, I guess going to Colgate worked for him. But, I'll always wonder what if?

jpfrizzle
11-19-2010, 03:37 PM
If you have an Xbox360, you can download ESPN3 to your console.

(go to dashboard>video marketplace>espn>download>update>watch)

Allowing you to watch tonight's Duke vs Colgate game.

left_hook_lacey
11-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Does anyone know what the line is for the game? I haven't been able to find it yet. I'm just curious as to what the spread is.

riverside6
11-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=6866

If my eyes aren't deceiving me that lineup has Tyler Thornton starting. Its really early for lineups to be posted though.

riverside6
11-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Lineup has changed in our data feed, now has Kelly instead of Thornton. Knew it was early to have the lineup posted.

snowdenscold
11-19-2010, 08:41 PM
What's with the large section of the undergrads (between halfcourt and the top the of key) not jumping up and down. When surrounded by students who are, this large area of students just standing there looks odd.

proelitedota
11-19-2010, 08:42 PM
http://atdhe.net/10260/watch-colgate-vs-duke

finally up.

Son of Mojo
11-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks to having TWC for internet I can watch the game on espn3...........but I don't like it. Doesn't feel natural at all.

dchen09
11-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Absolutely LOVE Irving's defense.

BlueDster
11-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Absolutely LOVE Irving's defense.

His offense ain't too bad either. Great performance so far!

Son of Mojo
11-19-2010, 09:06 PM
RYAN KELLY!!!! Breakaway steal and finish........but need the FT.

juise
11-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I am intrigued listening to Dino Gaudio's commentary. It's a little odd to hear him gush so much about a (former) colleague and rival program. He was talking about how amazed he was by Duke's communication in practice. I wonder if going to Duke's practice was really that eye-opening for him (having competed against Duke for the last few years) or if he is just using announcer speak.

BlueDster
11-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Wow, did anyone catch Nolan's little trick at the end of the half? They inbounded the ball with about 40 seconds left on the clock, but Nolan didn't actually touch it for 5 seconds so that Colgate didn't have a chance to get the ball back to end the half. Impressive!

Dukeface88
11-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Rebounds, buckets, steals
Ryan Kelly looking good
Might keep starting spot

Clang, clang goes the rim
Ice cold from outside. Hope we
heat up after half

_TheFakeJWill_
11-19-2010, 09:28 PM
I thought last year Kelly deserved more minutes. Kelly has looked great so far. Kyrie is a man on defense and his shoot looks just as good as well.

Havent been a duke fan but 11 years but from what i remember Kyrie looks like the best freshman ive seen at Duke?! Well after 3 games anyways ;)

mattman91
11-19-2010, 09:32 PM
ESPN3 is terrible.

Carolina is losing to Tubby's Gophers at the half.

Oh, yeah we're looking good. The Plumlees need to step it up.

ESPN3 is terrible.

Saratoga2
11-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Three point shooting is cold tonight. Kyle remains cold. Hope things improve in the second half because we will need to be better soon.

moonpie23
11-19-2010, 09:35 PM
my espn is flowing well.....i'm not listening to them, i'm 2 seconds ahead with 102.9 radio........

we seem to be getting killed on the boards......and kyle is still struggling on his finishes...

hope it picks up in the 2nd half..

kelly looks AWESOME...

ncexnyc
11-19-2010, 09:40 PM
An interesting game, especially when you consider the thread concerning having a 3PT orientated team. The team has attempted 40FG, with 21 of those being 3PT attempts. Something else that's popping up off the stat sheet is the fact that we are being outrebounded 17 to 15 and the Plumlee brothers have just 2 between them.

juise
11-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Wow, did anyone catch Nolan's little trick at the end of the half? They inbounded the ball with about 40 seconds left on the clock, but Nolan didn't actually touch it for 5 seconds so that Colgate didn't have a chance to get the ball back to end the half. Impressive!

I noticed it, but I'm pretty sure the clock continued to run anyway. By the time he picked it up, there were 31 seconds left on the shot clock (as far as I could tell).

Son of Mojo
11-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Hairston, I mean Dawkins, with the nice 3!! Y'all watching the game will get that.....

juise
11-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Hairston, I mean Dawkins, with the nice 3!! Y'all watching the game will get that.....

Kinda like Nolan bringing the ball up court, passing off to the wing, and... hitting the 3.

(I think Kyrie has been called Nolan at least 3 times.)

sandinmyshoes
11-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Some of the fun of these games is beginning to wear off. I want a team with some meat on its bones!

4decadedukie
11-19-2010, 10:13 PM
With 6:30 left, Minnesota leads UNC 56 - 50 . . . back to ESPN-3 and our Colgate game.

BigZ
11-19-2010, 10:16 PM
40 points in the second with not even the half half way through.

roywhite
11-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Kyrie coast-to-coast. Wow.

4decadedukie
11-19-2010, 10:23 PM
With 2:53 left, Minnesota up 62 -59.

dukebluelemur
11-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Ouch... after making some nice threes, Kelly manages to miss a point blank, wide open dunk. Woops.

Bluedog
11-19-2010, 10:26 PM
With 2:53 left, Minnesota up 62 -59.

And Barnes is 0 for 13. Go Gophers! TT and Kelly have really impressed me this game...among other performances.

dukebluelemur
11-19-2010, 10:27 PM
ACC is looking really overrated so far.

Except us.

Duke76
11-19-2010, 10:32 PM
I am in NYC for the night, what is the score

hedevil
11-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Man! I wish I could have seen this game. Can someone please post the stats as soon as it's over.

moonpie23
11-19-2010, 10:37 PM
105-56

one minute to play

4decadedukie
11-19-2010, 10:38 PM
UNC loses to Minnesota 72 - 67.
With 0:55 left, Duke is edging Colgate 107 - 56.
Duke wins, 110 - 58.

Bluedevil114
11-19-2010, 10:38 PM
That was great hearing the Minnesota chant during the game. Cameron Crazies great again tonight.

cptnflash
11-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Today is a good day. Duke wins by 50+, Ryan Kelly continues to assert his claim as our starting 5, and UNC loses as Harrison Barnes goes 0 for 12 from the floor. I will sleep well tonight!

juise
11-19-2010, 10:43 PM
That was great hearing the Minnesota chant during the game. Cameron Crazies great again tonight.

It was amusing to hear it at home, but I'm guessing that K was probably not amused to have the attention in other places than the court. I'm sure he expects his players and the bleacher section of the team to be focused on Colgate alone.