PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Marquette pre-game and in-game thread

jono21
11-18-2010, 03:43 PM
I know its still a few days until the CBE but I was wondering what your thoughts are on the match up with Marquette. I am a life long Duke fan but I am a Marquette student so of course I'm heading down to KC. I think the keys to the game are the Singler vs Butler match up, and whether or not Marquette contain the 3 pt attack of Duke. Vander Blue prides himself on his defense so I expect him to be on Smith. Irving should have his way with any pg MU throws at him. Anyway just thought I'd get the discussion going.

amazinballer323
11-18-2010, 11:17 PM
It'll be an interesting matchup to say the least but if the Plumlee's are ever going to blow up in a big game, this is it.

DukieInBrasil
11-19-2010, 08:26 AM
It'll be an interesting matchup to say the least but if the Plumlee's are ever going to blow up in a big game, this is it.
Pardon my lack of research, but why? Do they lack inside size?
Mason had a really solid game vs undersized Miami but Miles struggled (despite being hard-core as evidenced by a badly misshapen finger). I'd love to see the MPs go for like 25 pts and 20 rebs, which I think they have it in them to do that, but Miles will have to find a gear he hasn't found so far this year.

Devilsfan
11-19-2010, 08:37 AM
This thread should have been started tomorrow. Colgate is tonight and there should not be any looking ahead. That said I wish that the elder Plumlee's head wasn't "Miles" away from his task at hand when he steps on the court lately. If he starts playing like we all think he is capable of we might not lose a game.

PADukeMom
11-19-2010, 12:30 PM
I take it one game at a time so Colgate is my prome focus. I am looking for the break through with the Brothers Plumlee. If have got to stop throwing things & yelling everytime Miles or Mason dribble the ball in the paint. I've taught my sons kitten how to "whoosh" on free throws. She still doesn't quite grasp the concept of the "see you" cheer but she is only 12 weeks old.

Newton_14
11-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Our next opponent is Colgate

jono21
11-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Marquette lacked size badly last year. This year they have a couple players who can guard the post. Chris Otule, who is not an offensive threat but is a big body and a blocking presence but will see limited minutes. Jae Crowder, Juco player of the year, is a very physical player and I would expect him to be on Miles. Davante Gardner, a freshman, has a pretty refined offensive game but needs more conditioning and can't play more than 15-20 min. I can definitely see Mason going off in this game. however I think it will be a fast paced game

Bob Green
11-19-2010, 12:39 PM
That said I wish that the elder Plumlee's head wasn't "Miles" away from his task at hand when he steps on the court lately.

I continue to be amazed about the number of negative comments being posted about Miles Plumlee. Yes, I acknowledge he hasn't set the World on fire the first two games; however, his defensive positioning and rotations in the low post look good. While Miles isn't stuffing the stat sheet (2.5 ppg/2.5 rpg), he is playing solid low post defense, which is exactly what this team needs from him.

I'm not calling out Devilsfan here, just using the quoted post as a segue to my point. There seems to be a lot of posters who are down on Miles early in the season. C'mon folks, let's give him a chance.

77devil
11-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Time to bump this up to the top. Now that the cupcakes are finished, Duke enters a pretty intense period in the schedule from Monday through the December 4 game against Gonzaga.

Marquette is currently ranked 30 by Ken Pomeroy. Looking forward to watching how Duke performs, particularly the bigs, against its first serious competition.

CEF1959
11-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Marquette isn't a tall team, but they've got some girth, and they too have been taking care of business (3-0) against lesser early opponents. They trailed most of their last game against Bucknell, but won going away.

They have several 6-7 guys, one who's 6-8, 290, and one who's listed at 6-11, 260. That guy -- Chris Otule -- has a history of foot injuries and hasn't been playing that many minutes per game. It'll be a good test for our bigs though to see how they handle a team that likes to go inside and does it reasonably well.

They've got a couple good guards, including the freshman Vander Blue, who was Rivals #24 recruit last year. They spread the scoring around, with five guys averaging in double figures. Like us, they like to press, force turnovers, then run.

One guy to keep an eye on is freshman Davante Gardner, the player listed at 6-8, 290, but listed elsewhere at 6-9, 305. The guy is huge, though he was only a 3-star recruit. They call him "Fridge" or "Ox". He's averaging only 12 minutes, but 13 ppg. I suspect there are conditioning issues there that make him a defensive liability against a running opponent. But somebody's going to have to guard Marquette's bigs down low.

Without fouling out.

sagegrouse
11-20-2010, 09:08 AM
One of those is freshman Devante Gardner, the player listed at 6-8, 290, but listed elsewhere at 6-9, 305. The guy is huge....

Pardon my cynicism, but when I see I guy listed in a sport where 305 is way too heavy (unless you're Shaq), I mentally think he weighs 350 and 305 is his goal. By the way, the same reasoning applies to Skinny Minnies. Does anyone really believe that Tim Lincecum is 5-11, 170. How about 155?

sagegrouse
'305 as a listed weight in football is different'

Saratoga2
11-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Marquette isn't a tall team, but they've got some girth, and they too have been taking care of business (3-0) against lesser early opponents. They trailed most of their last game against Bucknell, but won going away.

They have several 6-7 guys, one who's 6-8, 290, and one who's listed at 6-11, 260. That guy -- Chris Otule -- has a history of foot injuries and hasn't been playing that many minutes per game. It'll be a good test for our bigs though to see how they handle a team that likes to go inside and does it reasonably well.

They've got a couple good guards, including the freshman Vander Blue, who was Rivals #24 recruit last year. They spread the scoring around, with five guys averaging in double figures. Like us, they like to press, force turnovers, then run.

One guy to keep an eye on is freshman Davante Gardner, the player listed at 6-8, 290, but listed elsewhere at 6-9, 305. The guy is huge, though he was only a 3-star recruit. They call him "Fridge" or "Ox". He's averaging only 12 minutes, but 13 ppg. I suspect there are conditioning issues there that make him a defensive liability against a running opponent. But somebody's going to have to guard Marquette's bigs down low.

Without fouling out.

In addition to what you state, I noticed Marquette has three guys who have been very accurate from the 3 point line to date. They probably weren't getting as much pressure as we will apply, but if our defense slacks off, these guys can score. As you say, there isn't a lot of height on the team, so we should have the advantage there, and it is on a neutral site, but I'll bet a lot of fans will be rooting against Duke as Kansas State may come through to play the winner.

I expect a hgihly contested game where we will need to play well for 40 minutes to take this one to the bank. The main hope is that the Plumlees can stay in the game longer than against Colgate. Cut down on the cheap fouls guys.

juise
11-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Time to bump this up to the top. Now that the cupcakes are finished, Duke enters a pretty intense period in the schedule from Monday through the December 4 game against Gonzaga.

You freaked me out there for a second. I thought I had been oblivious to one of Duk'e challenging non-conference games. But whew, you meant Butler.

I watched (a later) part of the Marquette-Green Bay game and the announcers seemed to be singularly-focused on Gardner. I was not especially impressed by his game. He seemed to be forcing his offense and not incredibly interested in looking for teammates after he got the ball in the post. It will be interesting to see if he's utilized much against our fast-breaking bigs.

Kedsy
11-20-2010, 02:11 PM
The main hope is that the Plumlees can stay in the game longer than against Colgate. Cut down on the cheap fouls guys.

Well, I agree that Mason should try to stay around to play more than 13 minutes, but Miles played 24 minutes before he fouled out and even if he had no fouls I don't see him getting much more than that in any game we play.

77devil
11-20-2010, 06:18 PM
You freaked me out there for a second. I thought I had been oblivious to one of Duk'e challenging non-conference games. But whew, you meant Butler.

Woops. Sorry about that. I guess that trek from Philly to MSG in a snow storm last December left a lingering impression.

SMO
11-20-2010, 06:53 PM

Sounds like there are some prime candidates to run out of the gym. I can't imagine 290 or even 260 playing a 40 minute up-tempo game without getting exhausted. I love the idea of this Duke team wearing teams out with tempo and depth.

Bob Green
11-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Pardon my cynicism, but when I see I guy listed in a sport where 305 is way too heavy (unless you're Shaq), I mentally think he weighs 350 and 305 is his goal.

Davante Gardner injured his left shoulder in Marquette's win over South Dakota:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/109515889.html

It was revealed prior to the game that senior forward Joe Fulce would be out for at least a couple weeks with a left-knee injury, and then at the 12-minute 12-second mark of the first half, freshman forward Davante Gardner left for good after sustaining a left-shoulder injury during a scrum for a loose ball.

Gardner was to be evaluated after the game.

Here is more game coverage from GoMarquette:

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/112010aaa.html

Ultrarunner
11-20-2010, 11:43 PM
I continue to be amazed about the number of negative comments being posted about Miles Plumlee. Yes, I acknowledge he hasn't set the World on fire the first two games; however, his defensive positioning and rotations in the low post look good. While Miles isn't stuffing the stat sheet (2.5 ppg/2.5 rpg), he is playing solid low post defense, which is exactly what this team needs from him.

I'm not calling out Devilsfan here, just using the quoted post as a segue to my point. There seems to be a lot of posters who are down on Miles early in the season. C'mon folks, let's give him a chance.

Just call it the Zoubek Effect. Brian really started showing what he could do late in his junior season and the stats bore out the fact that he was already a very good rebounder. As his feet healed and he was able to move again, he started to do it consistently. Then came the Maryland game.

I think we're seeing the same thing with Miles. He is very quietly putting all the pieces together. His defense this year is so much better than last year it's startling but defense doesn't fill up the stat sheet. He's making the rotations (and those are coming MUCH quicker this year) and moving his feet. His low blocks numbers are a sign that he's progressing imo. He's playing defense with his feet instead of leaving them.

Even looking at his stats though, he's playing well. He's hitting 50 percent of his shots but just hasn't taken that many yet. He's argueably our best offensive rebounder - though that's skewed by the last game. He's getting steals at a pretty good clip. The only real negative is free throw shooting and he's turning it over a bit. The t/o rate is probably from trying to play too fast but that will fix itself in another month or so - everybody (except Kyrie!) seems to be having the same issues.

It takes time and training to develop specific skills and even more time and straining and sweat to put it all together. That's why seniors are so valuable. Miles is working his butt off and, at some point, he'll have a game where he suddenly goes off and some fans will say it "clicked" or he "blew" up. Fortunately, I think Miles already knows that there are no (or really darn few) "overnight" sensations.

It will be gratifying just as it was with Brian. I think I'll start preaching the "Zoubek Effect" to my kids.

slower
11-21-2010, 10:45 AM
It will be gratifying just as it was with Brian. I think I'll start preaching the "Zoubek Effect" to my kids.

Are they old enough to grow beards? ;)

dchen09
11-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Or if they are girls, do you want them to grow beards? :-P

timmy c
11-21-2010, 02:15 PM
After four games, Marquette has averaged fewer three attempts (17.5%) than only 3 teams in all of D-1! This game could be a good test of Duke’s interior defense.

BigZ
11-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Prediction: Duke 83 to 68

ChicagoCrazy84
11-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Prediction: Duke 83 to 68

That's not a bad prediction, I would say about a 10-17 pt Duke win.

Marquette doesn't impress me this year. I think they will be good again next year when Jamil Wilson is eligible then they'll have him, Johnson-Odom, Vander Blue, and for their sake, a slimmer Davante Gardner. This year they will go through some tough games.

I can't believe they shoot so little from behinf the arc. Between Butler, Johnson-Odom, Buycks, and Blue, they should shoot more. I think we will wear out Otule and certainly Gardner making their middle exposed. I don't necessarily expect a huge game from the Plumlee's, I just expect us to shoot a high % and put up some points. I would expect Mason and Miles to be rather productive though. There should be plenty of rebounding opportunites and getting out to run.

I think Im actually more excited for the Gonzaga/KSU game. ;)

Ultrarunner
11-21-2010, 06:31 PM

They're girls!

Or if they are girls, do you want them to grow beards? :-P

...and NO! :D

mattman91
11-21-2010, 08:39 PM
We have to bump this to the top of the page guys. I love talking about how terrible Kerolina is as much as the next guy, but we have a big game coming up tomorrow. Lets put the focus on our team, not Kerolina. I mean, does it really surprise you they are this bad?

COYS
11-21-2010, 11:30 PM
We have to bump this to the top of the page guys. I love talking about how terrible Kerolina is as much as the next guy, but we have a big game coming up tomorrow. Lets put the focus on our team, not Kerolina. I mean, does it really surprise you they are this bad?

As much fun as it was seeing my adopted hometown team Vandy beat up the Heels, I tend to agree with this. In the game against Marquette, I'll be curious to see a few things.

1) Is our early season defense the result of poor competition or a complete team commitment to defend that rivals last year's squad?

2) Kyrie has been able to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants to in the first three games (the 2 fouls in 2 minutes notwithstanding). Will his quickness and skill still be as dominating against teams with better overall athleticism? How will he handle tough, half court games? Things certainly look good as Kyrie seems equally capable of playing at 5 and 500 mph, but now we'll get to see it against tough competition.

3) When the going gets tough, can our bigs get going? We'll really get to see how much improvement our three returning front court players have made over the next few games. Personally, i think that the defensive value Miles provides that has been reflected in his +/- stats will start to show a little more.

4) How does the rotation start to shake out? Will Josh and Tyler remain big parts of the rotation when the games get close? It seems that Jumbo's question of who would be the first big off the bench has been emphatically answered in Kelly's favor. How will Josh's role develop?

5) Will the Kyrie, Nolan, Andre, Kyle, Miles lineup continue to be our most effective lineup? Funny how no one saw this lineup as one of our strongest in the preseason (myself included, of course).

These are just a few things. I'll also keep an eye on our FTA/FGA ratio. It's been much better the past two games. Kyrie's quickness alone seems to force a lot of fouls. I want to make sure that Kyle and Nolan don't become too terribly jump shot prone as to limit their chances to get easy points at the stripe and force the other team into the bonus/foul trouble.

SilkyJ
11-21-2010, 11:47 PM

It surprises me a little bit, but I agree, let's focus on our guys for the next few days as we look to win our first championship of the year. Building a championship mentality is important for the development of the new guys like Kyrie and Seth and guys with a bigger role this year like the MPs, Dre and Ryan.

Kyle and Nolan, well I'm not too worried about their ability to play like champions :)

hedevil
11-22-2010, 03:02 AM
I just read the article by Jerry Karpowicz on the DBR front page. If he is right about Marquette's lineup, it will be interesting to see how coach K plans to start the game. We may see Andre get the start with Kyrie, Nolan, Kyle, and a big to match their smaller lineup, or possibly coach K will go with a larger lineup to see if our bigs can exploit the middle of their defense, considering that they are supposed to be thin on the inside. Obviously Kyle can guard one of their guards if K chooses to go big. Marquette seems to be doing well with the rebounds and 3 point shooting. This should give our guys a real test moving forward.

sagegrouse
11-22-2010, 06:41 AM
From the Karpowicz article:

Williams likely will start three guards — Raleigh native Darius Johnson-Odom (6-foot-2 junior), Dwight Buycks (6-3 senior) and Vander Blue (6-4 freshman). Jimmy Butler (6-7 senior) and Chris Otule (6-11 sophomore) start in the front court.

Oh, I get it. Freshman Vander Blue (love the name) gets to guard Kyle Singler, or else Mason, Ryan or Miles. I believe there will be some post-up sets in the game plan for tonight. Or maybe senior Buycks [sic] will get the call.

Somehow, I don't think Duke will go small for the first part of the game. And whether Duke plays an atypically small lineup depends on how Kyle handles Vida -- I mean Vander -- Blue.

sagegrouse

Bob Green
11-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Oh, I get it. Freshman Vander Blue (love the name) gets to guard Kyle Singler, or else Mason, Ryan or Miles.

I agree. Coach Krzyzewski will not adjust our starters to counter Marquette, but rather look to force Marquette Coach Buzz Williams to adjust to Duke. A standard practice in coaching is to force the other guy to adjust to your game.

What's nice about this year's Duke team is we have the versatility to force our opponent to have to adjust multiple times.

COYS
11-22-2010, 09:55 AM
I agree. Coach Krzyzewski will not adjust our starters to counter Marquette, but rather look to force Marquette Coach Buzz Williams to adjust to Duke. A standard practice in coaching is to force the other guy to adjust to your game.

What's nice about this year's Duke team is we have the versatility to force our opponent to have to adjust multiple times.

I also don't anticipate that we will suffer a huge disadvantage with our large lineup. Marquette doesn't launch a lot of threes so the smaller Marquette players will have to beat Mason and Ryan inside the arc, where their length and mobility relative to most 6-10/6-11 guys will make up for a lot. In the meantime, Kyrie, Nolan, and Singler probably have the advantage on both ends of the floor.

I will be interested to see, however, if the Kyrie, Nolan, Andre, Kyle, Miles lineup continues to be as effective as it has been to date.

Billy Dat
11-22-2010, 10:09 AM
In reading the Jerry Karpowicz preview, the name Jim McIlvaine jumped off the page. He's in his 6th season as the Marquette radio analyst, but Duke fans should think back to March 1994 for his most shining moment. Fresh of being named NABC Defensive Player of the year, McIlvaine prepared to face Duke and 1992/3 NABC Defensive Player of the year Grant Hill in the Sweet 16. I don't know that he ever said so publicly, but I am sure Grant was a little peeved to not earn the award back-to-back. I can't remember when in the game it happened, but Hill unleashed a furious, posterizing slam right on top of McIlvaine's 7'1" head. As he ran back up court, Hill, very uncharacteristically, pounded his chest a few times. It was glorious.

NSDukeFan
11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
As much fun as it was seeing my adopted hometown team Vandy beat up the Heels, I tend to agree with this. In the game against Marquette, I'll be curious to see a few things.

1) Is our early season defense the result of poor competition or a complete team commitment to defend that rivals last year's squad?

2) Kyrie has been able to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants to in the first three games (the 2 fouls in 2 minutes notwithstanding). Will his quickness and skill still be as dominating against teams with better overall athleticism? How will he handle tough, half court games? Things certainly look good as Kyrie seems equally capable of playing at 5 and 500 mph, but now we'll get to see it against tough competition.

3) When the going gets tough, can our bigs get going? We'll really get to see how much improvement our three returning front court players have made over the next few games. Personally, i think that the defensive value Miles provides that has been reflected in his +/- stats will start to show a little more.

4) How does the rotation start to shake out? Will Josh and Tyler remain big parts of the rotation when the games get close? It seems that Jumbo's question of who would be the first big off the bench has been emphatically answered in Kelly's favor. How will Josh's role develop?

5) Will the Kyrie, Nolan, Andre, Kyle, Miles lineup continue to be our most effective lineup? Funny how no one saw this lineup as one of our strongest in the preseason (myself included, of course).

These are just a few things. I'll also keep an eye on our FTA/FGA ratio. It's been much better the past two games. Kyrie's quickness alone seems to force a lot of fouls. I want to make sure that Kyle and Nolan don't become too terribly jump shot prone as to limit their chances to get easy points at the stripe and force the other team into the bonus/foul trouble.

I thought you asked some good questions and will give my two cents, since I am getting very excited for the next couple of nights.

1.) I think the team's early season defense has been very good so far and the commitment outstanding for long periods of time even though the score may have been out of reach. I expect Marquette will get much more penetration than any team so far and this will be a great test to see how well our rotations are working against a better offensive team.
2.) This is an interesting question for the rest of the year. Will Kyrie be able to get in the lane on anyone all year long, or will he have some challenges against better defensive squads? How will his decision making be against better college teams?
3.) I look forward to seeing how our bigs defend against a team that will look to attack the rim. My impression is that their positioning has been better so far this year. How will they fare in a faster game against a quicker opponent? I expect they will also have to defend more in the post than they have so far.
4.) It sounded like from Watzone's interview with coach K after the last game, that coach expects the rotation to be more of an 8 man rotation than a 10 man rotation in close games to get Kyle and Nolan more minutes. I interpreted that to mean that Tyler and Josh may get limited minutes in close games.
5.) I expect the team will have different line-ups that will be successful against different line-ups and I still expect 2 bigs, with Kyle at the 3 to be the team's best defensive team, with Andre at the 3 and Kyle at the 4 also being successful.

I just read the article by Jerry Karpowicz on the DBR front page. If he is right about Marquette's lineup, it will be interesting to see how coach K plans to start the game. We may see Andre get the start with Kyrie, Nolan, Kyle, and a big to match their smaller lineup, or possibly coach K will go with a larger lineup to see if our bigs can exploit the middle of their defense, considering that they are supposed to be thin on the inside. Obviously Kyle can guard one of their guards if K chooses to go big. Marquette seems to be doing well with the rebounds and 3 point shooting. This should give our guys a real test moving forward.

From the Karpowicz article:
Oh, I get it. Freshman Vander Blue (love the name) gets to guard Kyle Singler, or else Mason, Ryan or Miles. I believe there will be some post-up sets in the game plan for tonight. Or maybe senior Buycks [sic] will get the call.

Somehow, I don't think Duke will go small for the first part of the game. And whether Duke plays an atypically small lineup depends on how Kyle handles Vida -- I mean Vander -- Blue.

sagegrouse

From K's quotes after (I believe it was) the last game, he indicated that the starting line-up will change, but he expected the back court to be consistent with Kyrie, Nolan and Kyle starting with the frontcourt changing with Miles, Mason and Ryan at least for now. I don't expect the top ranked team in the country to change their starting line-up to match another team's at this point, though this certainly will happen during games. This may be a game where Andre gets a lot of minutes at the 3 to put a smaller, quick line-up in the game, though coach may want to see how Marquette will defend our bigs inside, assuming Ryan, Mason, and Miles move their feet well enough against Marquette's biggest players. Should be fun.

timmy c
11-22-2010, 11:14 AM
The front court players should get a real test this evening. Marquette has looked to attack the rim on their offensive possessions. A layup or a trip to the charity stripe is their goal.

Mason, Ryan, and Miles will have to move their feet, stop reaching, and use their size advantage when the wings penetrate. Josh could get some early time, at the four, if these guys get in foul trouble.

Final Score prediction:
Duke 89 Marquette 80

Bluealum
11-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Just call it the Zoubek Effect. Brian really started showing what he could do late in his junior season and the stats bore out the fact that he was already a very good rebounder. As his feet healed and he was able to move again, he started to do it consistently. Then came the Maryland game.

I think we're seeing the same thing with Miles. He is very quietly putting all the pieces together. His defense this year is so much better than last year it's startling but defense doesn't fill up the stat sheet. He's making the rotations (and those are coming MUCH quicker this year) and moving his feet. His low blocks numbers are a sign that he's progressing imo. He's playing defense with his feet instead of leaving them.

Even looking at his stats though, he's playing well. He's hitting 50 percent of his shots but just hasn't taken that many yet. He's argueably our best offensive rebounder - though that's skewed by the last game. He's getting steals at a pretty good clip. The only real negative is free throw shooting and he's turning it over a bit. The t/o rate is probably from trying to play too fast but that will fix itself in another month or so - everybody (except Kyrie!) seems to be having the same issues.

It takes time and training to develop specific skills and even more time and straining and sweat to put it all together. That's why seniors are so valuable. Miles is working his butt off and, at some point, he'll have a game where he suddenly goes off and some fans will say it "clicked" or he "blew" up. Fortunately, I think Miles already knows that there are no (or really darn few) "overnight" sensations.

Well said! I agree wholeheartedly. Miles' steady development is a real key to our season, his defense, rebounding, footwork, and overall physical presence are unique on the team. Playing the '5' is a role suited only to him really, and his progress will parallel the progress of our very advanced team of guards and wings. Perhaps even more importantly next year he will be our only senior and eldest brother of two teammates. Establishing a leadership presence would be doubly beneficial to the team.

juise
11-22-2010, 11:59 AM
After four games, Marquette has averaged fewer three attempts (17.5%) than only 3 teams in all of D-1! This game could be a good test of Duke’s interior defense.

I actually think that this plays well into Duke's strengths. While Duke defends the three well, the guards and bigs are also great at making entry passes difficult. It will be good to see if they are as successful at cutting off passing lanes against more competent opponents. I especially would like to see if the bigs can avoid fouling while playing suffocating defense.

For what it's worth, Duke is a 12 point favorite in Vegas (of course, we all know how the last game against Marquette went). Based on the over/under (147), Vegas is basically predicting a scote of 79.5 to 67.5, which sounds reasonable... aside from the fractional points.

jipops
11-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Given what was stated in the pre-game about Marquette drawing lots of fouls, it will be interesting to see how Mason and Miles are able to be effective by staying on the floor. I really would like to see them positioned better for the boards in this one. Sounds like there will be a lot of shots taken given the pace.

Saratoga2
11-22-2010, 12:24 PM

Dwight Buycks is a 6'3" guard who has shot 7 for 11 from 3 point land. That isn't a lot of shots and it is not the focus of Marquettes scoring, but his shooting percentage is very good and he needs to be defended from the 3 point line.

phaedrus
11-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Marquette coach Buzz Williams says, "I think that they're good enough to be an above-.500 team in the NBA". Probably overblowing things, but I like his attitude.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/109798479.html

Kedsy
11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Marquette coach Buzz Williams says, "I think that they're good enough to be an above-.500 team in the NBA". Probably overblowing things, but I like his attitude.

"Probably" overblowing things? It's complete hyperbole.

Duke is the best team in college basketball this year, but if we played a full season in the NBA and we got to double figures in victories it would be a major upset.

phaedrus
11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
"Probably" overblowing things? It's complete hyperbole.

Duke is the best team in college basketball this year, but if we played a full season in the NBA and we got to double figures in victories it would be a major upset.

Another example of facetiousness failing to translate. I have a hard time envisioning us not going 0-82 against an NBA schedule. Maybe we'd have some close games in Cameron.

WiJoe
11-22-2010, 02:04 PM

What? You didn't believe what you read in the DBR preview?

Gewebe14
11-22-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty confident that if Irving hypothetically stayed next year, Duke's back court would be better than the Bobcats' is this year.

Rivers, Irving, Dawkins, Curry, Cook, Thornton

vs.

Augustin, Livingston, Henderson, Carroll, Collins -- you'd probably have to include Steven Jackson too which would tilt it in the Bob's favor, but it's almost debatable.

UrinalCake
11-22-2010, 02:35 PM
People said the same thing about our 1999 team - that it could compete against most NBA teams. It's a nice way for opposing coaches to cover their bases. If they lose, who can blame them? Duke just has too much talent. And if they win, they just beat an NBA-caliber team!

I guess the trick for the Marquette coach is to use such excessively hyperbolic terminology, yet still convince his own team that they have a chance to win.

(Hyperbolic? Is that even a word?)

tylervinyard
11-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Great article about Vander Blue and his friendship with Kyrie. Looks like a kid that would have fit right in had he come to Duke. Great character and apparently a great defensive player.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/109914644.html

Here's hoping he plays well, but his team doesn't.

Duvall
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm pretty confident that if Irving hypothetically stayed next year, Duke's back court would be better than the Bobcats' is this year.

He's not, and it wouldn't.

DukieInBrasil
11-22-2010, 02:40 PM
(Hyperbolic? Is that even a word?)

It absolutely is.

Kedsy
11-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Another example of facetiousness failing to translate. I have a hard time envisioning us not going 0-82 against an NBA schedule. Maybe we'd have some close games in Cameron.

Oh, OK. Sorry, my bad.

Rivers, Irving, Dawkins, Curry, Cook, Thornton

vs.

Augustin, Livingston, Henderson, Carroll, Collins -- you'd probably have to include Steven Jackson too which would tilt it in the Bob's favor, but it's almost debatable.

Well, yeah, you probably would have to include Jackson since he's their starter at SG. And no, it's not debatable. You think Austin Rivers as a freshman would even be better than Gerald Henderson, two years improved from when he was first team All-ACC? And G can barely break into the rotation. I'm sorry to say this but the Bobcats would mop the floor with us.

Or are you being facetious too?

Gewebe14
11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
You guys obviously don't watch much bobcats bball -- the only player definitely better than irving and rivers is jackson. And yes I bet Rivers and Irving are going to be a lot better than henderson, augustin, livingston, and collins

Kedsy
11-22-2010, 03:20 PM
You guys obviously don't watch much bobcats bball -- the only player definitely better than irving and rivers is jackson. And yes I bet Rivers and Irving are going to be a lot better than henderson, augustin, livingston, and collins

Eventually they may be better. They won't be better their freshman year. There's a reason they talk about "men" and "boys."

hedevil
11-22-2010, 03:43 PM
As far as the posters who are stating that coach K wouldn't base his starting lineup on what our opponents' strengths are, I totally agree. I was suggesting that it would be interesting if he went with a smller lineup (including Dawkins) being that it has been the most effective to date. Not that he would necessarily do it, but just a possibility. This game will offer us a better glimpse as to where our true strengths and weaknesses are. I can't wait!

SuperTurkey
11-22-2010, 03:44 PM
It absolutely is.

Not only is it a word, it's without a doubt the greatest word in the history of humanity.

Duvall
11-22-2010, 03:47 PM

"Going to be" is not "is." We've only seen Irving against Ivy and Patriot League opponents; we've only seen Rivers against high school kids. Comparing them to NBA players at this point is folly.

nmduke2001
11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
I was a freshman with Shane, Elton, Chris Burgess and William Avery. Early in the school year, I witnessed a scrimmage between current and former Blue Devils. Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Danny Ferry, Marty Clark and Thomas Hill were on a team together. Elton was talking a ton of smack to Christian before the game. Christian proceeded to score all 11 of his teams points. They won 11-5 IIRC. A professional Christian Laettner made a freshman Elton look silly. I'll never forget Laettner shooting a 35-footer to finish it off. He turned around while the ball was still in the air and yelled, "game!" Elton just shook his head.

Later, an already injured Hurley toyed with Wojo.

However, we did see Austin (as a rising high school senior) hold his own against the number one pick, John Wall. Just sayin'...

GLTBD
11-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Is anyone else worried about tonight's game?

CEF1959
11-22-2010, 06:27 PM

You mean like being on the west coast stuck at work until around 8 pm EST? Yeah, that worries me.

But seriously, Marquette's not a slouch team. Duke's favored by 12, but they still have to put the round orange thingy into the hoop thingy more than Marquette does. They could lose against any decent team by having a bad night and the other shooting lights out.

_TheFakeJWill_
11-22-2010, 06:30 PM
call me naive but im not worried about any game this year. :D

Bob Green
11-22-2010, 06:33 PM

I worry about every game. It's not that I'm really worried as much as it is I'm just naturally a Nervous Nellie.

GLTBD
11-22-2010, 06:36 PM
call me naive but im not worried about any game this year. :D

I tend to worry a lot and believe in Karma. Duke or any team for that matter should not overlook their opponents and take for granted they will always win.

WiJoe
11-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Don't plan on seeing the start of the DUKE game. Tipoff time allegedly 7:35, as per Duke radio pregame show. Still halftime of OU-ky.

espn strikes again.

deezl
11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Don't plan on seeing the start of the DUKE game. Tipoff time allegedly 7:35, as per Duke radio pregame show. Still halftime of OU-ky.

espn strikes again.

I'm 99% sure it'll be on ESPN3 as well.

Edit - I'm looking and I don't see it on their site. I was almost positive it said on the ESPN ticker on TV that it was ESPN2 and ESPN3.

SuperTurkey
11-22-2010, 06:39 PM

espn strikes again.

Doesn't a half usually take around 50 minutes of real time?

_TheFakeJWill_
11-22-2010, 06:41 PM
I tend to worry a lot and believe in Karma. Duke or any team for that matter should not overlook their opponents and take for granted they will always win.

Yeah i agree. Don't get me wrong i yell at every possession and it ruins my week if they lose but ever since after we beat UNC last year in Cameron i haven't worried about any game to be honest. The only one i was a little hesitant was going in the elite 8 Baylor game.

MCFinARL
11-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Not only is it a word, it's without a doubt the greatest word in the history of humanity.

Oh, too funny! Well said. :D

deezl
11-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Just to confirm it will be aired on ESPN3. Found it :cool:

_TheFakeJWill_
11-22-2010, 07:33 PM
tips at 7:40 per espn so hopefully well get to see it.

kmspeaks
11-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Vitale in the booth tonight . . . ugh :(

anon
11-22-2010, 07:43 PM
I just wish there were more advertisements on the floor...

Duke: A Dynasty
11-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Mason is playing like what scouts say he should be. He going strong to the basket, finishing and looking aggresive.

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 07:55 PM
That was Mason's best 6 minutes of basketball at Duke.

11-22-2010, 07:56 PM
O and the game is also on espn 2 if you do not have espn3

kmspeaks
11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm closing the laptop after this so I can focus but I just have to say . . .

THIS IS FUN!! :D

DukieInBrasil
wow, we are looking good, no, great!!!

Bluedevil114
Passing looks great so far and the threes are falling. Duke up 23-9.

Wow this is so much fun to watch. Duke is playing lights out right now 23-9 and Marquete calls a timeout after our second 3 in a row. We are pushing the tempo really hard rigth now. And Dick Vital is loving it :cool:

Jderf
11-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Vitale is not at his best (whatever that would be). Changing topic mid-sentence has been a problem. And he's already used the phrase diaper-dandy twice. But you gotta love the guy; he tries so hard.

Teton Jack
11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
I can't remember a game so early in the season where the ball movement on a break looks so good. The pass between Mason and Kyle off the break and the pass from Irving to Seth. What beauty!

Teton Jack

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Vitale is not at his best (whatever that would be). Changing topic mid-sentence has been a problem. And he's already used the phrase diaper-dandy twice. But you gotta love the guy; he tries so hard.

I was never a huge Vitale fan but I gotta admit, he has more passion for college basketball then just about anyone.

11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Vital's diaper dandy count is up to 3 now i believe and Duke just allowed a little run but still looking fairly good. Seems they were rushing shots a bit to much in an effort to keep pushing.

Jderf
11-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Mason has been huge so far. 7 pts, 4 blocks, 3 boards, and two assists. He's 3-3 from the field. Let's see if he keeps it up.

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 08:27 PM
We could be up more if not for a few careless turnovers, but all-in-all a good first half.

mickeysgotagun
11-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Decent first half with an amazing run to bring us up to 23-9. Mason has really come out.

moonpie23
11-22-2010, 08:32 PM
bit clunky in places.....marquette is hanging tough....

gotta figure out and inside plan against the bum wing .....altho, blocking his shot twice was pretty cool...
mason playing well...

jipops
11-22-2010, 08:34 PM
I haven't liked the D too much in the last 10 minutes of the half. Sure Marq has only shot 36% but I think that was skewed by the 1st 8 minutes of the half. Guys need to value the ball and not give up such clear lanes to the basket. Marquette is moving the ball around well.

oldnavy
11-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Sloppy! We need to take better care of the ball. Marquette is surprisingly quick and are causing us some problems. We look like we are lacking focus. Should be corrected during the halftime "pep" talk. I look for us to come out with a lot of energy on D and create some turn overs and transition points.

AlaskanAssassin
We have 10 TO in the first half. That needs to be worked on. I'm sure they were just real hyped with a burst of energy.

CLW
If we can cut down on the turnovers (many of them "unforced") we should be in good shape in the 2nd half.

superdave
11-22-2010, 08:44 PM
We have 10 TO in the first half. That needs to be worked on. I'm sure they were just real hyped with a burst of energy.

I thought Kyrie played in a hurry a little bit in the first half on the break, and tried to force things a bit in the half court. This is the best team he's played vs. so far so it's not a big surprise he's not as sharp. I hope he can slow things down to where he's controlling the game at his pace.

Also, we gambled a bit much and turned our backs on D to the wrong guys, and it cost us the final 10 minutes.

Mason Plumlee made up is mind he was going to attack tonight. We've been waiting for this. : )

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Nolan has made 3 really bad lazy passes this game so far.

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Since Duke was up 23-9 at the 11:00 mark, they have been outscored 32-23 in the last 15 minutes. We really need to take care of the ball better.

DukieInBrasil
Kyle has thrown some really weak shots up at the rim lately as well as Nolan throwing several really weak passes for turns. Uncharacteristic mistakes from them, they need to apply those leadership skills.

jipops
Back down to Earth people. A whole lot of square footage for improvement for this team.

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Miles has been bad so far. Took an extra dribble under the hoop for no reason whatsoever, which he seems to have a problem with, then lost the ball again on a nice dish from Kyrie. He has 3 turnovers in about 10 minutes of PT which is way too many for someone who shouldn't be putting the ball on the deck.

ice-9
11-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Being tested now, up only 3 -- let's see how the team responds.

11-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Still playing sloppy. I would have that they would be more crisp in the second half.

superdave
Miles has been bad so far. Took an extra dribble under the hoop for no reason whatsoever, which he seems to have a problem with, then lost the ball again on a nice dish from Kyrie. He has 3 turnovers in about 10 minutes of PT which is way too many for someone who shouldn't be putting the ball on the deck.

I think a couple of passes to him in the lane were the fault of the guards, Irving on both of them I think.

Super "Carry on with the bashing though..." Dave

dyedwab
Need to tighten up. Very sloppy performance since the 23-9 lead.

in the first half, Marquette had to work for everything they made..now it's coming too easily.

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I think a couple of passes to him in the lane were the fault of the guards, Irving on both of them I think.

Super "Carry on with the bashing though..." Dave

I'm not bashing at all, I'm just giving my honest opinions. Everyone makes mistakes, they just need to get refocused, especially on defense because they have been scrambling to find the shooters.

superdave
11-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Being tested now, up only 3 -- let's see how the team responds.

This will be a great opportunity for us to see what our D is made of. We will win based on how well they can take away some of these looks Marquette has been getting.

Also, our go to cure for offensive malaise is Irving reading a perimeter pick, deciding which way to go, beating his man and flying to the rim. He really knows how to finish a play in the lane, and should only get better at that.

superdave
11-22-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm not bashing at all, I'm just giving my honest opinions. Everyone makes mistakes, they just need to get refocused, especially on defense because they have been scrambling to find the shooters.

I was pointing out that two of the three mistakes you blame on Miles were actually those of guards throwing a bounce pass to a big man in the lane. Some big men just need the pass to hit them in the hands and Miles is likely one of them. I think your calling out of Miles was off the mark because of that.

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 09:09 PM
I was pointing out that two of the three mistakes you blame on Miles were actually those of guards throwing a bounce pass to a big man in the lane. Some big men just need the pass to hit them in the hands and Miles is likely one of them. I think your calling out of Miles was off the mark because of that.

I just saw it differently. I thought Miles should have went up to the basket on one of them and the other I thought hit him right in the hands and he lost it.

11-22-2010, 09:11 PM

True but he did recieve the passes just fine. Its not the guards fault he made 3 poor decisions (2 in a row) once he had possesion.

Cockabeau
11-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Mason Plumlee!!!! Wowowoowowowo

CampbellBlueDevil
11-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Thank you thank you thank you Mason

(besides the goal tending =P)

11-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Who is the guy wearing number 5!!!! No way is that the Mason Plumlee I saw last year! He is dominating right now!!

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Mason is playing out of his mind tonight!!! 17 points on 10 fga, 6 rebs, 3 assts, 4 blks.

Cockabeau
11-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Mason is playing out of his mind tonight!!! 17 points on 10 fga, 6 rebs, 3 assts, 4 blks.

out of his frigging mind....what a badI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

superdave
11-22-2010, 09:15 PM

And channeling Brian Zoubek on the offensive rebound and kickout for the opportunistic 3.

Son of Mojo
Great charge taken by Kyle. Quit the TO's and sink some more shots.

Mason is playing out of his mind tonight!!!

Understatement. Sheesh there are not words for this. 17-7-4-3 Mason's stat line right now and still loads of time left.

CampbellBlueDevil
11-22-2010, 09:17 PM
OMG I am loving Mason! He's putting the pieces together finally.

CLW
11-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Mason came to play tonight. He looks angry and I cannot ever remember seeing him look that way last season.

K really lit a fire under this team when it was tied up.

DukieInBrasil
11-22-2010, 09:22 PM
what is up with all the airballs?

11-22-2010, 09:24 PM
what is up with all the airballs?

That and since when did mason have post moves??

Lulu
11-22-2010, 09:26 PM
I hate those temporary logos painted on the floor, they always end up being more slippery, and that's exactly what Irving just hit with the Reese's

superdave
11-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Marquette ran out of gas. They have started settling for lots of jumpers at the same time as our D picked up.

Mason may be winded too, but you'd probably have to drag him to the bench.

Jderf
11-22-2010, 09:28 PM
I love this team. You can try and keep up if you want; your team can have everything go their way the entire game and still struggle to hold pace. Then you lapse in concentration for just a minute or two, and you're down ten.

superdave
11-22-2010, 09:28 PM
That and since when did mason have post moves??

Mason to me looks like he decided last night while watching video tape of Marquette that he had a size and athleticism advantage and he was going exploit it. He's is aggressively using those two things to his advantage.

ajgoodfella7
11-22-2010, 09:31 PM
We might see the most lopsided MOTM voting ever!

muzikfrk75
11-22-2010, 09:32 PM

Yep. It's not even close.

CampbellBlueDevil
11-22-2010, 09:34 PM

Singler right?

haha just messing

hedevil
11-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Double, Double.

Thank you Mason!

ice-9
11-22-2010, 09:36 PM
ANSWERED BY MASON PLUMLEE. Wow if he can continue to play like this, we're going to be really good...

DukeGirl4ever
11-22-2010, 09:37 PM
11/22/10 - The Awakening of Mason Plumlee

CLW
11-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Nolan was OFF tonight.

We didn't close this one out well either.

If we play this sloppy tomorrow we won't beat either K State or Gonzaga.

TampaDukie
11-22-2010, 09:40 PM
When was the last time we missed the front end of 3 consecutive one and ones? Ugh. Ultimately, though, I think it's great to have such a close game early in the season, just in case the guys were thinking they could coast through the season.

Fantastic to see Mason be such a beast tonight. I'm really proud of him.

Son of Mojo
11-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Horrendous FT shooting tonight. Regardless of who we have tomorrow that had better improve if they are going to win. Marquette impressed me greatly.

11-22-2010, 09:41 PM
STARTERS Pts/Rebs/Stls/blocks/Assists
Mason Plumlee 25/12/0/5/4
Nolan Smith 18/9/0/0/3
Kyle Singler 14/6/1/1/0
Kyrie Irving 11/2/2/1/8
Ryan Kelly 2/1/0/1/2

BENCH

Andre Dawkins 7/4/1/1/2
Seth Curry 3/0/0/0/2
Miles Plumlee 2/2/0/0/0

Cockabeau
11-22-2010, 09:41 PM
I know no about Gonzaga but KSU is overrated garbage....Duke will destroy that team.

deezl
11-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Double, Double.

Thank you Mason!

Don't even think we need a M.O.T.M thread. Good job Mase, been waiting for a night like that.