PDA

View Full Version : Expansion beyond 68 teams: Not happening

Jderf
11-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but it looks like the NCAA, CBS, and Turner are standing pat with the 68 team format (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2010-11-17/ncaa-basketball-chairman-no-plans-to-expand-beyond-68-teams#ixzz15ZbluTs). A lot of people were worried that the current format would be just a holdover as the NCAA looked to expand further in coming years, but it seems as though the purists have beat out the TV execs for the time being.

“There are no plans for further expansion,” Smith said Wednesday on an NCAA teleconference. “It isn’t even on our radar screen.”

Kedsy
11-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but it looks like the NCAA, CBS, and Turner are standing pat with the 68 team format (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2010-11-17/ncaa-basketball-chairman-no-plans-to-expand-beyond-68-teams#ixzz15ZbluTs). A lot of people were worried that the current format would be just a holdover as the NCAA looked to expand further in coming years, but it seems as though the purists have beat out the TV execs for the time being.

This is good news, if true. Although I imagine they may have said the same thing when they increased from 32 to 40 teams in 1979.

superdave
11-18-2010, 11:40 AM
This is good news, if true. Although I imagine they may have said the same thing when they increased from 32 to 40 teams in 1979.

Great news - why water down the goose? (to mix my metaphors)

If they work on anything it should be making sure every fan can see their team's game in its entirety.

SCMatt33
11-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I am certainly glad to see that they will give the 68 team field a chance, but "there are no plans" is not nearly as strong as saying "we will not expand for x years." The door is certainly open for them in 3 years to say "we weren't planning on it, but the landscape has changed and the time is right."

With that said, I don't think anyone would ever expect them to essentially shut the door on anything with stronger wording. I fully expect that the 68 team field for a minimum of 5 years, and am somewhat confident that it will last 10 years. The 64 team field lasted for 16 years and the 65 team field lasted for 10. The life of this TV deal is 14 years so I would expect that if it hasn't been done already, we will again see expansion driven upcoming TV negotiations.

DevilWearsPrada
11-18-2010, 11:50 AM
64 teams was a gracious plenty with the 65 team, as the play in game.

Jay Bilas, does not like 68 teams. And said that on Sunday/Monday nights on ESPN. Jay said, it was all about the money........ and if expansion was 96 teams, then what about the 97th or 98th team. And that, past the 64 mark....... Those teams, were not worthy of playing for a National Championship. I so agree with Jay...

64 teams made the brackets work perfect!!!! Why change it? The mens NCAA basketball tournament is the best thing on TV!!!!