PDA

View Full Version : Duke TV

ambitiouspear
11-18-2010, 10:19 AM
I saw a pretty interesting stat in this month's Duke Blue Planet Magazine. Duke (28) is on national TV more times than any NBA team (Celts, Lakers have the most with 25). Not too bad!

TigerDevil
11-18-2010, 10:31 AM
I saw a pretty interesting stat in this month's Duke Blue Planet Magazine. Duke (28) is on national TV more times than any NBA team (Celts, Lakers have the most with 25). Not too bad!

But how many times are Leave It To Beaver reruns on this year?

roywhite
11-18-2010, 10:31 AM

But are we on TV more than "Leave it to Beaver" re-runs?

By the way, RIP Barbara Billingsley

Kedsy
11-18-2010, 11:40 AM
But how many times are Leave It To Beaver reruns on this year?

But are we on TV more than "Leave it to Beaver" re-runs?

Wow, am I missing an inside joke? Why did you both independently choose Leave it to Beaver?

DevilWearsPrada
11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Didnt Skip Prosser (RIP...Wake mens BB coach)......... say that years ago, during the JJ Redick years?

I remember Skip saying during JJ's junior year, that JJ was shooting from the 919 area code in the 336 area code arena!!! Something like that!!!

Perhaps, it wasn't Skip, that said that about Duke is on tv more than Leave it To Beaver............ may have been Dickie V!!!

Bluedog
11-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Wow, am I missing an inside joke? Why did you both independently choose Leave it to Beaver?

"They're on TV more than 'Leave it to Beaver' reruns." -Former Virginia coach Pete Gillen, 1997

airowe
11-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Pete Gillen said it.

A couple notes:

1) Tomorrow's game is the only non-televised game all year, though it is on ESPN3.com.

2) That stat is for nationally televised games and doesn't include any tournament appearances so is likely to go up.

3) The stat was used (successfully I might add) to cement Austin Rivers' decision to come to Duke. "You'll be on tv more than the Heat."

hurleyfor3
11-18-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm guessing Duke basketball is on national teevee more often than any sports team in the United States nowadays except for the Chicago Cubs, and that's only if you count WGN as a national network.

Anyway, I don't need teevee for Friday night's game. I can simulate "Duke vs. Colgate" by putting on a Duke shirt and brushing my teeth for 40 minutes.

Reilly
11-18-2010, 11:56 AM
My memory is Gillen saying it in 1999, in the same post-game where he said UVa would build a statue to Taymon Domzalski if they had a player of his ability. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, or maybe Gillen used the line more than once and used it when he coached Providence and they beat Duke in the NCAAs (wasn't he the coach there then?).

Bluedog
11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
My memory is Gillen saying it in 1999, in the same post-game where he said UVa would build a statue to Taymon Domzalski if they had a player of his ability. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, or maybe Gillen used the line more than once and used it when he coached Providence and they beat Duke in the NCAAs (wasn't he the coach there then?).

Yes, he said it when he was the coach at Providence after they beat Duke, talking about their sense of accomplishment for the feat.
"The biggest challenge was to convince (the Friars) that we could beat them. Duke is Duke. They're on TV more than Leave it to Beaver reruns."

ncexnyc
11-18-2010, 12:48 PM
So I guess this makes us America's Team. Obviously our ratings must be good or the games wouldn't be broadcast.