PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

rotogod00
11-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Is it too early to talk 2013? A tweet from Reggie Rankin over at ESPN:

@ReggieRankin Just heard Duke is making a move on Jabari Parker. Remember Coach K is from Chicago. Stay Tuned for the latest developments

ESPN has him as the #2 small forward and 6th overall in the class of 2013.

Anybody know any more about Duke's potential interest?

Edit:I am keeping a spreadsheet of the 2013 and 2014 Duke targeted recruits, and per requests from members, I am creating a table in the first post of both threads and will update as things change.
Duke 2013 Recruiting List As of 5/6/12 (Rankings are from Rivals. I will change to RSCI as soon as they come out with their 2013 Rankings in June)

Position Name Measurements Stars Ovrl Rk Offer? Comments
PG Anthony (Cat) Barber 6'2, 165lbs 5 13
PG Tyler Ennis 6'2, 180 5 21 Great passer. Good shooter
SG Matt Jones 6'4 180lbs 4.3 28 Yes Verbal Commit!
SG Al Freeman 6'3, 195lbs 5 25 Yes 13th overall in his class, #3 SG
SG Robert Hubbs III 6'6, 180lbs 4 24 Yes Freak Athlete, Pure Scorer- Per Airowe tweet
SG Daxter Miles 6'2, 165lbs 3 NR Combo Guard
SF James Young 6'6, 200lbs 5 9 Yes Flying up through the rankings
SF Jabari Parker 6'7 215lbs 5 1 Yes #1 Player in his class
SF Ishmail Wainright 6'5 220lbs 4 32 Yes Mack Truck
SF Semi Ojeleye 6'6, 220lbs 4 37
SF Tyrone Outlaw 6'6, 190lbs 3 NR Rising quickly through the ranks
PF/C Austin Nichols 6'8, 200lbs 4 40 Yes Great hands, Great length, grew up a Duke fan
PF/C Julius Randle 6'9, 235lbs 5 3 Yes Top Power Player in Class, AAU Teammate of Matt Jones
PF/C Marcus Lee 6'9, 220lbs 4 54 Yes
C Beejay Anya 6'8, 255lbs 5 20 Yes #1 Center in his class, 7'9 Wingspan!

Gorilla
11-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Lol wow

lotusland
11-18-2010, 12:54 PM

@ReggieRankin Just heard Duke is making a move on Jabari Parker. Remember Coach K is from Chicago. Stay Tuned for the latest developments

I say he gets 25 MPG at the 3 position.;)

MChambers
11-18-2010, 01:04 PM
I say he gets 25 MPG at the 3 position.;)

Don't you think his future is as a 2 in the NBA? ;)

Reddevil
11-18-2010, 01:08 PM
How did he do on his SRA's?

MulletMan
11-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Can we start a Recruiting 2029 thread in case I have a kid next year? I figure if I hype him up enough, he'll get recruited by all the major programs even though he's a strong Duke lean as a zygote.

NSDukeFan
11-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Can we start a Recruiting 2029 thread in case I have a kid next year? I figure if I hype him up enough, he'll get recruited by all the major programs even though he's a strong Duke lean as a zygote.

Once Duke starts recruiting him, he will shoot up the recruiting rankings and Coach Ndiaye at UNC will go after him. :D

El_Diablo
11-18-2010, 02:40 PM

Um, probably not. The difference is that Parker is getting recruited by Duke, whereas your possible child is not. If the Duke coaching staff starts recruiting your possible child, then by all means start a thread on it. Until then, I don't see the need to marginalize the OP with a bunch of needless posts suggesting how absurd it is to share some basic information on the 2013 crop of players simply because others think it is a little too far off to warrant their immediate attention.

With that said, Parker looks like a talented player. I look forward to the possibility of seeing him pilot his flying car around Duke's campus some day. :D

Duvall
11-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Is it too early to talk 2013?

Since Duke's recruiting focus is now on 2012 and beyond, I wouldn't think so.

DukieTiger
11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
If it's not too early for Duke to be recruiting him, it's not too early for us to be talking about it.

SilkyJ
11-18-2010, 02:52 PM

Agree with the three most recent posts above, and I'm not sure why people are mocking this thread. It doesn't seem too early to me. Conceptually, the 2011 class is locked in, and so we are now focused on the 2012 and 2013 classes. The members of the 2013 class are Sophs in HS, and we've started getting involved with recruits a littler earlier (i.e. their soph year) so this seems timely.

Practically, we've been recruiting Rodney Purvis for several months with the thought of him being a 2013 recruit (he only recently reclassified to 2012) and now are apparently getting involved with others in the class. This seems timely to me, so thanks for starting.

NSDukeFan
11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure why people are mocking this thread. It doesn't seem to early to me. Conceptually, the 2011 class is locked in, and so we are now focused on the 2012 and 2013 classes. The 2013 class are Sophs in HS, and we've started getting involved with recruits a littler earlier, so this seems timely.

Practically, we've been recruiting Rodney Purvis for several months with the thought of him being a 2013 recruit (he only recently reclassified to 2012) and now are apparently getting involved with others in the class. This seems timely to me, so thanks for starting.

I understand that the Duke coaching staff is looking at potential 2013 recruits and there is the potential that someone from that year could even commit (I believe Indiana has a commitment and maybe someone else.) So, yes it is reasonable to post this thread. But, come on, is it not also reasonable to mock the recruitment of 14-15 year-old kids?

SilkyJ
11-18-2010, 03:09 PM
But, come on, is it not also reasonable to mock the recruitment of 14-15 year-old kids?

You do whatever you want, but someone please slap me silly the day I start mocking what Coach K and his staff do.

DukieTiger
11-18-2010, 03:14 PM
It's not like Duke is sitting down for in home visits with these kids. It's the culture of basketball these days, to establish contact early in a kid's high school career. It's probably not even the first time Duke has contacted/looked at the kid, just the first time that it has been widely reported. Also, the majority of high school sophomores are 16 years old, and Demarcus Nelson committed to Duke at the end of his sophomore year. I know it's an extreme case, but the point is that this has been going on for a while (recruiting sophs) and so I don't see why we're mocking it just now. If we want to talk about how foolish it is to plan for 2013 when we all know of our impending doom in 2012, that's a different story. :)

And why not continue to stretch the influence of Duke's most recent national championship? With it comes recruiting momentum, and why would Duke not contact any kid who is currently in high school that they are interested in- while the championship is still fresh in their minds?

yancem
11-18-2010, 03:18 PM
IIRC Nelson committed in the spring of his sophomore year so discussing 2013 recruits doesn't seem inappropriate.

(DukieTiger beat me to the Nelson comparison)

superdave
11-18-2010, 03:26 PM
IIRC Nelson committed in the spring of his sophomore year so discussing 2013 recruits doesn't seem inappropriate.

And we offered Tokoto as a sophmore, right?

DukieTiger
11-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Yep. It might have even come the summer BEFORE his sophomore year. We recruited/evaluated the class of 2012 throughout last year, so I don't know why it would be shameful to do the same thing with 2013. I mean, we do need to keep getting guys to come to Duke.

BD80
11-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Michael Parker-Williams is the only one we are actively recruiting for that class so far.

juise
11-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Michael Parker-Williams is the only one we are actively recruiting for that class so far.

22 inches long with a 30 inch wing span... very promising. :p

gam7
11-18-2010, 07:32 PM
I understand that the Duke coaching staff is looking at potential 2013 recruits and there is the potential that someone from that year could even commit (I believe Indiana has a commitment and maybe someone else.) So, yes it is reasonable to post this thread. But, come on, is it not also reasonable to mock the recruitment of 14-15 year-old kids?

Indiana has commitments from two players in the 2014 class, which, of course, probably means that those recruits are going to start looking at Duke soon. At least that's what Taylor King, Miles Plumlee, Austin Rivers and Mike Kabongo told me.

DukeBlueNV
11-18-2010, 09:33 PM

I thought i remembered that one of the coaches watched PF Julius Randle a few times this summer.

And IIRC PG Nate Britt is a '13 prospect who visited for CTC.

BD80
11-19-2010, 09:40 AM

I thought i remembered that one of the coaches watched PF Julius Randle a few times this summer.

And IIRC PG Nate Britt is a '13 prospect who visited for CTC.

I was referring to 2029 and Shelden's unborn son, who would of course be named after the most influential person in Shelden's life.

Jderf
11-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I was referring to 2029 and Shelden's unborn son, who would of course be named after the most influential person in Shelden's life.

Michael Jordan? Not again... :D

juise
11-19-2010, 11:32 AM
My #1 recruiting priority in 2029 would be a Dunleavy. Apparently, there's a new one (per Mike sitting out last night (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=301118011)).

(Sorry for the threadjack. I know 2013 is a legit topic.)

gam7
11-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Indiana recently received two commitments from the Class of 2013, Collin Hartman and Devin Davis, both from Indiana. These commitments are in addition to last month's commitments of two players from the Class of 2014, both of whom also attend high school in Indiana. Clearly, Tom Crean has made it a priority to dominate recruiting in his own backyard.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101122/SPORTS/11220306/1002

CEF1959
11-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Clearly, Tom Crean has made it a priority to dominate recruiting in his own backyard.
http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101122/SPORTS/11220306/1002

Of course, that's every coach's priority. The difficulty is in realizing the goal. I'm actually glad that Crean seems to be having some success (MP3 notwithstanding). Indiana has been down, and I think it's good for CBB that it have a strong program, as I've said here before.

Jderf
11-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Indiana recently received two commitments from the Class of 2013, Collin Hartman and Devin Davis, both from Indiana. These commitments are in addition to last month's commitments of two players from the Class of 2014, both of whom also attend high school in Indiana. Clearly, Tom Crean has made it a priority to dominate recruiting in his own backyard.

Those are four extremely early commitments. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them ended up changing their minds.

DukieBoy
11-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Of course, that's every coach's priority. The difficulty is in realizing the goal. I'm actually glad that Crean seems to be having some success (MP3 notwithstanding). Indiana has been down, and I think it's good for CBB that it have a strong program, as I've said here before.

IU has definitely started recruiting in it's backyard. I like Crean's strategy. It's obvious he wasn't getting to get players like Marshall Plumlee so instead he started younger. If he gets these young kids, he's starting to get himself out there. Kids are hearing about IU.

Also, he's focused on (arguably) the best AAU program in Indiana: Indiana Elite. All 4 of his commitments from above played on Indiana Elite and so did Cody Zeller and Yogi Ferrell (who just committed to IU today).

He's doing it right, for now. He's established himself within the state and focused on one very good AAU program

roywhite
11-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Those are four extremely early commitments. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them ended up changing their minds.

Wouldn't be unusual for the coach to change his mind either and not offer a scholarship 2 or 3 years down the road. I'm not a fan of the super-early recruit practice. Just from a practical point of view, why take a sophomore Kendall Marshall when a Kyrie Irving becomes a (much) better prospect by the end of their junior year?

Dukeface88
11-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Wouldn't be unusual for the coach to change his mind either and not offer a scholarship 2 or 3 years down the road. I'm not a fan of the super-early recruit practice. Just from a practical point of view, why take a sophomore Kendall Marshall when a Kyrie Irving becomes a (much) better prospect by the end of their junior year?

In Crean's case, job security. His record the past few years is pretty dismal (not that it's his fault). Recruiting well in-state (and the hope that implies for the future) is keeping his seat from getting too hot while he rebuilds. It may not make work from a "what's best for the program" perspective, but it definitely works for a "what's best for the coach" perspective.

ETA: Not that there aren't other reasons for taking an early recruit (getting a jump on, and possibly locking out entirely, the competition), just that Crean has a little extra incentive.

roywhite
11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
In Crean's case, job security. His record the past few years is pretty dismal (not that it's his fault). Recruiting well in-state (and the hope that implies for the future) is keeping his seat from getting too hot while he rebuilds. It may not make work from a "what's best for the program" perspective, but it definitely works for a "what's best for the coach" perspective.

ETA: Not that there aren't other reasons for taking an early recruit (getting a jump on, and possibly locking out entirely, the competition), just that Crean has a little extra incentive.

Just my opinion, but I wonder if Crean is the right guy for the IU job. That should be one of the prime jobs in college hoops, with the tradition, fertile in-state and nearby recruiting areas, and Hoosier love of basketball.

Trying to re-build that program with commitments from high school sophomores and freshmen seems like a gimmick.

Coach K has often talked of the advice he received early on at Duke from the great Vic Bubas. Coach Bubas told him that building a good program took time, and not to take shortcuts.

I'd like to see Indiana back among the elite of college basketball, but am skeptical that Crean will get it done.

gam7
11-23-2010, 07:45 PM

I do think it would be a bit unusual for a coach to pull the scholarship offer after a kid has verbally committed. The only time I remember that happening off the top of my head was Gary Williams with Tamir Goodman. The optics and the hit to the trustworthiness of the coach are huge deterrents.

roywhite
11-23-2010, 09:51 PM
I do think it would be a bit unusual for a coach to pull the scholarship offer after a kid has verbally committed. The only time I remember that happening off the top of my head was Gary Williams with Tamir Goodman. The optics and the hit to the trustworthiness of the coach are huge deterrents.

I think it was also the case with UCLA and the peripatetic Taylor King.

lotusland
11-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I think it was also the case with UCLA and the peripatetic Taylor King.

Man I love learning a new word. Peripatetic had me fossicking for my dictionary.

Leck
12-02-2010, 11:10 AM
any one know/see what recruits were in cameron last night?

tylervinyard
12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
http://twitter.com/JayJayESPNDime/status/10527135357734912

Jason Jordan posted that Julius Randle and Rodney Purvis were trying to coordinate attending a Duke game together. Previously Randle and Purvis were neck and neck for the top spot in the 2013 Recruiting Rankings until Purvis reclassified.

UrinalCake
12-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Clearly, Tom Crean has made it a priority to dominate recruiting in his own backyard.

I think you mean playground

Orange&BlackSheep
12-03-2010, 03:36 PM

As Bruce Pearl can attest, recruiting in his own backyard would land him in hot water.

rotogod00
12-15-2010, 08:45 AM
ESPN's Reggie Rankin "Just heard that T25 SF Jabari Parker (IL) has an updated school list. In no particular order Duke, Kansas, Illinois, Michigan State and Washington. Elite programs are on the trail of this skilled young forward."

ChicagoCrazy84
12-15-2010, 11:03 AM

Tom Crean likes to get em while they're young, that is for sure. AND I DO NOT mean that in a creepy kind of way, even though Crean may be a bit creepy.

Anyway, keep an eye on class of 2027 Chicago star Graham Gueller. My boss just had a baby boy and it is worth mentioning my boss is 6'7 and played high school ball in Wisconsin. Momma is tall in her own right as well, about 6'1. Just sayin :D

gam7
12-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Duke offers Jabari Parker. Article is premium.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/breaking-news-duke-offers-2013-stud-jabari-parker

Krzyzewskiville
01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
#

@ReggieRankin Jabari Parker (IL) is at Duke for an unofficial visit for the Maryland game. about 5 hours ago

- ESPN

A 6'6, 210 lb SF, Most definitely going to add weight and grow. 6th best player in the 2013 recruiting class. Would be a great addition.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/100708/jabari-parker

gam7
01-10-2011, 12:12 AM
#

@ReggieRankin Jabari Parker (IL) is at Duke for an unofficial visit for the Maryland game. about 5 hours ago

- ESPN

A 6'6, 210 lb SF, Most definitely going to add weight and grow. 6th best player in the 2013 recruiting class. Would be a great addition.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/100708/jabari-parker

Any recognition of Jabari from the Crazies at the game today?

trey_dre20
01-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I had a couple of glimpses of him and he didn't look overwhelmingly excited but not many recruits seem to show emotion during their visits. does anyone have anyword on how the visit went?

airowe
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Any recognition of Jabari from the Crazies at the game today?

Yes there was.

-bdbd
01-10-2011, 06:50 PM
I had a couple of glimpses of him and he didn't look overwhelmingly excited but not many recruits seem to show emotion during their visits. does anyone have anyword on how the visit went?

Mark Watson at BDN has an article up on Murphy that mentions Jabari:

They also cheered as the game got tight and Duke mounted a comeback, with Murphy fist pumping and clapping more a the game wore on. Murphy was joined by 2013 prospect Jabari Parker who was hosted and shown about by Duke Assistant Coach, Nate James.

The Cameron Crazies twice cheered “Alex Murphy, come to Duke,” and that brought a smile and look from Murphy.

Early returns are that both visits went well.

House G
01-23-2011, 08:48 AM

Is it unreasonable to rank the best 6th and 7th graders in the country? Go to the visitors section and scroll down. :confused:
http://www.hoopscooponline.com

Duke: A Dynasty
04-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Jabari Parker's list of potential schools:

Duke, Illinois, Michigan State, Washington State and Kansas

juise
04-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Jabari Parker's list of potential schools:

Duke, Illinois, Michigan State, Washington State and Kansas

Wow. One of those is not like the others. (And I'm not just talking time zone.)

rotogod00
04-19-2011, 12:44 AM
According to this Insider article, we'll be visiting him next week:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=finkelstein_adam&id=6382116

He's #3 on ESPN's Terrific 25 (and the #1 center)

"He may already be in the best shot-blocker in the country with absolutely uncanny physical gifts and defensive instincts. With a rapidly expanding offensive game, and solid work ethic and good court demeanor, the sky is absolutely the limit."

trey_dre20
04-19-2011, 12:15 PM
From all the positive evaluations of his game, Noel could be the dominant big man that everyone is so eager to land

trey_dre20
05-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Rivals updated their 2013 rankings, Julius randle is 2, Jabari Parker is 4, Nerlens Noel is 5 and Nate britt is 33. do any insiders know why Jabari Parker is listed as having high interest in Washington and only medium in duke?

tommy
05-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Rivals updated their 2013 rankings, Julius randle is 2, Jabari Parker is 4, Nerlens Noel is 5 and Nate britt is 33. do any insiders know why Jabari Parker is listed as having high interest in Washington and only medium in duke?

Maybe he has high interest in Washington and only medium interest in Duke.

yancem
05-19-2011, 08:02 PM

I think that his brother is an assistant coach for Washington.

trey_dre20
06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Here's an interview of the #1 player in the class of 2013. Has some really nice things to say about Duke.
http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-basketball/blogs/Julius-Randle/2011/06/01-Randle-Intro.aspx?pursuit=BoysBasketball

BluePanda
06-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Here's an interview of the #1 player in the class of 2013. Has some really nice things to say about Duke.
http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-basketball/blogs/Julius-Randle/2011/06/01-Randle-Intro.aspx?pursuit=BoysBasketball

Wow, I didn't know Randle had such a high interest in Duke (listing Duke first, gushing over talking to Coach K, etc). Also looks like the Capel hiring may be paying dividends already. Nice!

DukeBlueNV
06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Wow, I didn't know Randle had such a high interest in Duke (listing Duke first, gushing over talking to Coach K, etc). Also looks like the Capel hiring may be paying dividends already. Nice!

It's a catch 22 though, seeing how Capel could quite possibly have another head coaching gig by the time this kid would potentially get to campus.

CharlestonDevil
06-02-2011, 09:59 AM
It's a catch 22 though, seeing how Capel could quite possibly have another head coaching gig by the time this kid would potentially get to campus.

I thought we already put this notion to rest. CAPEL IS GOING TO BE HERE FOR A WHILE.

A) This was not a "mercy hire" by K because Jeff needed something to do until he finds another opening.
B) Jeff is too committed to use Duke as a "filler job" while he looks other places. He wouldn't have taken this position if he just wanted to find a head coach position elsewhere.
C) It sounds like Randle has a lot more interest in Duke than just Capel being there.

dchen09
06-17-2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/06/17/beejay-anyas-phone-is-blowing-up/#more-53685

Beejay Anya, a 6'7, 251lbs Center got a call from Duke. Picture shows his wingspan infront of a garage door. Anyone want to take a shot at estimating that?

Indoor66
06-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Beejay Anya, a 6'7, 251lbs Center got a call from Duke. Picture shows his wingspan infront of a garage door. Anyone want to take a shot at estimating that?

The Garage Door metric has ALWAYS been highly suspect.

BD80
06-17-2011, 07:37 PM

It has its ups and downs.

Indoor66
06-17-2011, 08:35 PM

It also tends to bend in the middle.

watzone
06-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Nate Britt interview vid clip - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/06/nate-britt-video-interview/

devildeac
06-22-2011, 04:45 PM

It also tends to bend in the middle.

I think this should be an open and closed subject.

MChambers
06-22-2011, 04:48 PM
I think this should be an open and closed subject.

How many cars fit in that garage?

devildeac
06-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Depends on their wingspan...;)

Also depends on how many different license plates they have, how many alleged owners there are and if there are any parking violations while in said garage...:rolleyes:

BD80
06-23-2011, 08:28 AM

At UNC? Only two or three per player, but each car gets seven or eight license plates.

superdave
06-26-2011, 04:05 PM
DaveTelep Dave Telep' twitter
Brannen Greene, a 2013 standout guard, is making an unofficial visit to Duke this weekend.
44 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Espn.com profile (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/124706/brannen-greene)
6'7'' 2-guard from GA.

Starter
07-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3evdNdBsr8&feature=player_embedded#at=43) where Jabari Parker lists his schools as Kansas, Washington, Duke, Illinois and Michigan State. Wasn't Kentucky in on him at some point? (I could easily be wrong)

akhan786
07-08-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't think I've ever wanted a guy as much as I've wanted him.

Just watching that interview made me fall in love with him. He was so mature poised and humble (as opposed to Prince Harry's fake humbleness). A really great kid with an amazing skill set.

Grant Hill 2.0? The combination of class, skill, and athleticism is undeniable.

Double DD
07-09-2011, 09:25 AM
One of the related videos to that Parker interview is an interview with Andrew Wiggins who might be #1 in 2014 (no thread for that yet :p). He lists Duke, UNC, Florida State, and Syracuse as the schools he's looking at right now.

jimsumner
07-09-2011, 09:46 AM
One of the related videos to that Parker interview is an interview with Andrew Wiggins who might be #1 in 2014 (no thread for that yet :p). He lists Duke, UNC, Florida State, and Syracuse as the schools he's looking at right now.

You may remember his father Mitchell, an NC native. Played at Clemson, transferred to Florida State and played in the NBA.

tommy
07-09-2011, 11:18 AM
You may remember his father Mitchell, an NC native. Played at Clemson, transferred to Florida State and played in the NBA.

And you may remember his mother, who was the best secretary Mr. Tudball ever had. . .

1 24 90
07-09-2011, 11:27 AM
and you may remember his mother, who was the best secretary mr. Tudball ever had. . .

roflmao

jimsumner
07-09-2011, 11:45 AM
And you may remember his mother, who was the best secretary Mr. Tudball ever had. . .

Yes, but did Wanda pass along any hoops genes. :)

Double DD
07-09-2011, 12:19 PM

Other than her appearance as a fictional character, his mother did win a couple of Olympic medals as a sprinter. A very versatile woman.

jimsumner
07-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Other than her appearance as a fictional character, his mother did win a couple of Olympic medals as a sprinter. A very versatile woman.

The wife/mother in question, Marita Payne, was a Canadian 400-meter runner of great distinction.

Mitch Wiggins was one of those guys who kept a suitcase handy. He played one season of juco ball, one season at Clemson, two seasons at Florida State (pre-ACC), played for three NBA teams and a bunch of teams in Greece. And somehow, he ended up in Canada.

Andrew Wiggins does seem to have some affection for Duke--and vice-versa--but it's pretty early.

tommy
07-10-2011, 12:14 AM

Nobody could ever say she couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. And her hand-eye to the intercom was excellent. On the negative side, she did not exhibit great lateral quickness from her desk to Tudball's, and I did not see evidence of a high basketball IQ.

licc85
07-10-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't think I've ever wanted a guy as much as I've wanted him.

Just watching that interview made me fall in love with him. He was so mature poised and humble (as opposed to Prince Harry's fake humbleness). A really great kid with an amazing skill set.

Grant Hill 2.0? The combination of class, skill, and athleticism is undeniable.

Just watched some tape on Parker, I really like his high skill level, but I thought he would be a bit more of an explosive athlete, but then again, he's only a freshman or sophomore in those videos, so he could mature physically and become a beast. He's definitely not the second coming of #33, grant had CRAZY hops early in high school iirc, but I'd love to have him, he does so many things that could really help our team. I like his leadership potential too, he seems very intelligent and humble, good traits for a blue devil. His demeanor reminds a little of his homeboy, Derrick Rose.

tommy
07-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Just watched some tape on Parker, I really like his high skill level, but I thought he would be a bit more of an explosive athlete, but then again, he's only a freshman or sophomore in those videos, so he could mature physically and become a beast. He's definitely not the second coming of #33, grant had CRAZY hops early in high school iirc, but I'd love to have him, he does so many things that could really help our team. I like his leadership potential too, he seems very intelligent and humble, good traits for a blue devil. His demeanor reminds a little of his homeboy, Derrick Rose.

Although right here (http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/07/13/coach-k-compares-parker-to-kobe/#more-54623) none other than Coach K compared him to not only Grant, but to Kobe Bryant. You don't see that kind of talk out of K every day. Kid sounds pretty special, and it sounds like we're on him hard and the interest is mutual.

tommy
07-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Obviously it's a long way off and things can change a lot, but Julius Randle, who everyone has in their top 5 in the class of 2013, including many rating him the #1 overall player, says he will probably attend Duke's Midnight Madness. That can't be bad.

jimsumner
07-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Obviously it's a long way off and things can change a lot, but Julius Randle, who everyone has in their top 5 in the class of 2013, including many rating him the #1 overall player, says he will probably attend Duke's Midnight Madness. That can't be bad.

Because of the Olympics next summer, Duke need and wants to identify and concentrate on a handful of key targets from the class of 2013. Randle, Jabari Parker, Matt Jones and Nerlens Noel have jumped to the top of the list. Expect to hear their names a lot over the next few months. An early committment or two would make K's life a lot easier.

Bob Green
07-26-2011, 03:34 PM
An early committment or two would make K's life a lot easier.

And eliminate a ton of angst on DBR and other message boards. :cool:

BD80
07-26-2011, 06:08 PM
And eliminate a ton of angst on DBR and other message boards. :cool:

Eliminate? Very polite, but amusing.

I would suggest the term "transfer." Mayhaps "redirect."

The angst on this board cannot be eliminated.

Fuqua's Finest
07-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Per Zagoria: **2013 star Julius Randle said in his blog he will “probably visit Duke for Midnight Madness.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Link you ask, here you go: http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/07/26/stokes-cuts-kentucky-recruiting-roundup/

Bob Green
07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
The angst on this board cannot be eliminated.

It seems I overstated my case, so I stand corrected. :cool:

watzone
07-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Coach K and staff are on a roll. They offered 2013 combo guard Bronson Koenig today.

FireOgilvie
07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Coach K and staff are on a roll. They offered 2013 combo guard Bronson Koenig today.

I saw that UNC was also interested in him.

I've seen a few videos; my somewhat limited impression is that he's an undersized Scheyer type of a player with better passing abilities (also hear he's a good shooter, but not particularly athletic).

OnToTheNextOne
07-27-2011, 06:13 PM
kinda interesting that we offered Bronson Koenig, a pg in the 2013 class, and not Nate Britt. Especially considering all the DC connections that Duke staff has developed through the years. Although Coach K watched Koenig recently and must have been impressing. Nate Britt is listed higher on most sites. Anyone know if we are actively recruiting/ interest in Britt at all?

watzone
07-27-2011, 07:05 PM
UNC is on Koenig and Britt. Duke has greart connections through Nolan, Kyrie and DCA, but Britt liked the powder blue growing up.

-jk
07-27-2011, 07:22 PM
kinda interesting that we offered Bronson Koenig, a pg in the 2013 class, and not Nate Britt. Especially considering all the DC connections that Duke staff has developed through the years. Although Coach K watched Koenig recently and must have been impressing. Nate Britt is listed higher on most sites. Anyone know if we are actively recruiting/ interest in Britt at all?

There's a lot more to recruiting than Scout's or Rivals' rankings. Academics, desire, and team chemistry among the most prevalent.

We never really know - we can't know - the nuances. The coaches share what they find useful to share, and there are tight restrictions on what they can say on the record. Various sites speculate rampantly. We all read way more into any one tweet than anyone ever meant to imply. It's never transparent.

About all we can take from the process is that the coaches are trying their best with a bunch of kids. And kids are, well, kids.

-jk

Azdukefan
07-28-2011, 10:00 AM
UNC is on Koenig and Britt. Duke has greart connections through Nolan, Kyrie and DCA, but Britt liked the powder blue growing up.

I saw Britt and Parker in Phoenix yesterday and came away in ahh of Britt's passing ability. He passes as well with his off hand (right) as he does left. This kid needs to be near the top or at the top of our list (I am aware that Q is only two years ahead of him).

Parker played well but wasn't in a situation where he had to take over a game so I'm not sure I got the full effect of how good he is. My buddy who is a UA fan says that Parker is the best player available regardless of class.

licc85
08-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Wow, the more I read about this guy, the more I like him. Unreal skill level, great size & athleticism, seems like he's got a great head on his shoulders, wet jumper, and he's pretty good looking on top of all that. Sign me up. Go get him Coach K!!!

Jabari Parker Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zx6y0qx9Rc

norra5
08-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Hey Guys, first I just wanted to say this is my first post here and I hope i have many more to come but back to recruiting. Today I heard that Matt Jones would be visiting Duke from October 14 to October 16 and would go to Midnight Madness with Julius Randle and hopefully Jabari Parker just wanted to tell you guys this.

roywhite
08-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Lessons learned during July (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15392982/experts-five-lessons-learned-during-july-recruiting-period)

Some nice words in this CBS article about Sulaimon from the class of 2012 and some Duke targets from the class of 2013.

Jeff Goodman said:

. I haven't been as enamored by the top three guys in a class for a long, long time as I am with the trio that tops the Class of 2013: Jabari Parker, Julius Randle and Nerlens Noel. These guys are all frontcourt players, but all bring something different to the table -- yet they share one facet of their games: a motor. All three play hard nearly every possession. Parker is the skilled guy who has the highest upside, Randle is a beast and has some Karl Malone in him while Noel may just be the most dominant shot-blocker I've ever seen at this stage

Jeff Borzello said:

The pecking order amongst 2012 guards is more muddled than ever. Going into the summer, it seemed like Rodney Purvis and Ricardo Ledo were the two best guards in the country. Now, with the way Archie Goodwin responded after his injury and the way Rasheed Sulaimon played at both ends throughout the summer, a case can be made for any of those four as the best guard in the country

There are additional rave reviews about Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, and Nerlens Noel.
The 2013 class looks to be extremely strong.

gumbomoop
08-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Lessons learned during July (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15392982/experts-five-lessons-learned-during-july-recruiting-period)

Some nice words in this CBS article about Sulaimon from the class of 2012 and some Duke targets from the class of 2013.

There are additional rave reviews about Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, and Nerlens Noel.
The 2013 class looks to be extremely strong.

Thanks to roywhite for this link. I'm pretty sure he'd agree with me that you really want to read the whole article, not just the couple of great highlights he included. Lots of interesting recruiting info and stories.

Roy is telling you to read this. I recommend that you not cross roywhite. You've hear of Keyser Soze, right? Just a friendly suggestion.

Huh?
08-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Hey Guys, first I just wanted to say this is my first post here and I hope i have many more to come but back to recruiting. Today I heard that Matt Jones would be visiting Duke from October 14 to October 16 and would go to Midnight Madness with Julius Randle and hopefully Jabari Parker just wanted to tell you guys this.

Thank you sir, nice to know.
Haven't heard much about Jones lately. What a coup if we got all three of these guys. Hell, throw Noel in there too, why not. Let's Go Devils!

superdave
08-05-2011, 10:45 AM

From Espn's site (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/116312/bronson-koenig)...

Strengths:
Bronson is a true combo guard who can play both positions. He's a real good shooter to 22 feet. He's cerebral and smart and has the ability to run a team and make his teammates better. He is a solid ballhandler with good size for the 1 if that ends up being his position. Brings a tremendous amount of versatility.

Weaknesses:
Koenig definitely needs to be a better perimeter defender. He also needs to improve his on court assertiveness as he tends to drift at times and he lets the game come to him too much. Adding strength is a natural point of emphasis for him.

Bottom Line:
Bronson is an excellent combo guard prospect who will be highly sought after.

SeattleIrish
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
UNC just got a commitment from Hicks, a top 15 PF.

Good for them. That should help us with some of our PF recruits, as we seem to butt heads with the Heels for a good number of prospects.

s.i.

rotogod00
08-12-2011, 11:07 AM
ESPN's updated 2013 rankings include these for Duke's targets (as per Scout):
Jabari Parker - 1
Julius Randle - 3
Nate Britt - 15
Brannen Greene - 20
Matt Jones - 21
Bronson Koenig - 57
Kris Jenkins - NR

And fwiw, recent Tar Heel signee Hicks is 14

SilkyJ
08-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks to roywhite for this link. I'm pretty sure he'd agree with me that you really want to read the whole article, not just the couple of great highlights he included. Lots of interesting recruiting info and stories.

Roy is telling you to read this. I recommend that you not cross roywhite. You've hear of Keyser Soze, right? Just a friendly suggestion.

Co-sign. A great, great article. More a compilation of notes/anecdotes, but a very cool read. Thanks, RW.

gam7
08-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Any truth to Nerlens Noel looking to re-classify to the class of 2012?
If so, does that bode well for Duke, possibly?

Link?

I did see this web chat with Nerlens: http://www.coveritlive.com/index.php?option=com_altcaster&task=siteviewaltcast&altcast_code=0bb4a8bfcb&height=550&width=470.

He's asked directly whether there is any chance he reclassifies to 2012, and he says that he's not sure at this point. I don't take that to mean that he is "looking to re-classify."

He makes a few comments about Duke in here too - nothing ground-breaking, just that he is building a relationship with the coaching staff, Coach K wins and makes players better and that he's going to look into Capel's work with Blake Griffin. I like that he names Jabari Parker as one of the two guys in his class that he'd enjoy playing with in college and that the most important thing to him in choosing his school is an honest coaching staff. He'll have a list of 15 schools out in September.

wilko
08-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Link?
He's asked directly whether there is any chance he reclassifies to 2012, and he says that he's not sure at this point. I don't take that to mean that he is "looking to re-classify."

Twitter noise. There are several audio links out there that I have not listened to. Who has the time to hit every one pf them. When the answer to a presumed Yes or No question is "maybe" then one has to wonder a lil bit... but that's just me.

I did find this nugget however. Shaq Cleare (http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/7/28/2301292/the-shaquille-cleare-post-posterizes-nerlens-noel-says-he-wants-to). Why does he have such a grudge against Duke?

sagegrouse
08-19-2011, 09:02 AM
I did find this nugget however. Shaq Cleare (http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/7/28/2301292/the-shaquille-cleare-post-posterizes-nerlens-noel-says-he-wants-to). Why does he have such a grudge against Duke?

Aw, isn't the kid -- a future Terp -- just playing to Maryland fans?

sagegrouse

-bdbd
08-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Aw, isn't the kid -- a future Terp -- just playing to Maryland fans?

sagegrouse

I read it the same way. Even though he's apparently not firm to MD yet. But looking at Maryland's personnel situation, unless lightening strikes (several times) in the near future on the recruiting front, I'd say he's going to the wrong school if he wants to beat Duke much in the next few years....

;)

P.S. I was the one who first posted about Nerlens Noel the other day, but I wouldn't read too much into it yet, as he might well be a (very good) fallback if Parker and McG fall through. That said, the kid seems to have a lot of potential! I did just go to the link Wilko posted, and the chat conversation between Noel and the various fans (each pushing their own school) was interesting. The kid is very well spoken, thoughtful. I like him.

tommy
08-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Link?

I did see this web chat with Nerlens: http://www.coveritlive.com/index.php?option=com_altcaster&task=siteviewaltcast&altcast_code=0bb4a8bfcb&height=550&width=470.

I like that . . . the most important thing to him in choosing his school is an honest coaching staff.

Well if he's serious about that, that should eliminate a few of our regular rivals on the recruiting trail, no?

dukedoc
09-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Mr. Randle's latest ESPN blog (http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-basketball/blogs/Julius-Randle/2011/09/23-Randle.aspx?pursuit=BoysBasketball)

Don't know much about him personally, but the fact that he gives recipes at the end of his blogs is endearing.

Duke79UNLV77
09-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Mr. Randle's latest ESPN blog (http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-basketball/blogs/Julius-Randle/2011/09/23-Randle.aspx?pursuit=BoysBasketball)

Don't know much about him personally, but the fact that he gives recipes at the end of his blogs is endearing.

I would normally welcome a recruit's attending a typical in-season game at Duke and at UNC for the contrast, but he mentioned going to the Duke-Penn game, which is on Jan. 1, when the students will be away.

Kedsy
09-23-2011, 12:48 PM
I would normally welcome a recruit's attending a typical in-season game at Duke and at UNC for the contrast, but he mentioned going to the Duke-Penn game, which is on Jan. 1, when the students will be away.

Well, he said he'd be going to UNC the same day and their students will be away too. Or is your point that an empty Dean Dome doesn't sound all that different from a full one?

Wheat/"/"/"
09-25-2011, 06:51 PM
'13 combo guard Bronson Koenig verbally committed to Wisconsin (http://www.wiscnews.com/sports/college/basketball/men/article_7a33f75f-2e31-5443-8d1d-fcc21834685d.html)over the weekend, declining offers from both Duke and UNC during the process to stay in-state.

BD80
09-25-2011, 07:14 PM
'13 combo guard Bronson Koenig verbally committed to Wisconsin (http://www.wiscnews.com/sports/college/basketball/men/article_7a33f75f-2e31-5443-8d1d-fcc21834685d.html)over the weekend, declining offers from both Duke and UNC during the process to stay in-state.

Is that Chekov's (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000479/) son?

Wheat/"/"/"
09-26-2011, 10:36 PM
UNC just jumped in the fray and extended an offer to 2013 6'4" sg Matt Jones.

He already has a Duke offer.

akhan786
09-26-2011, 11:53 PM
UNC just jumped in the fray and extended an offer to 2013 6'4" sg Matt Jones.

He already has a Duke offer.

Interesting...maybe because Ole Roy knows that Jones might commit right after CTC...Roy doesn't want us to get any advantage over Randle so it seems plausible that he's trying to get Jones away from us.

Kedsy
09-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Interesting...maybe because Ole Roy knows that Jones might commit right after CTC...Roy doesn't want us to get any advantage over Randle so it seems plausible that he's trying to get Jones away from us.

Or possibly he thinks Jones is a good player and wants to recruit him? Everything isn't a conspiracy, as much as we might like to believe it is.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-27-2011, 07:11 AM
I'd guess that after missing on first choice Koenig, he's identified Jones as his next target for the shooting guard spot he obviously wants to fill.

NSDukeFan
09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I'd guess that after missing on first choice Koenig, he's identified Jones as his next target for the shooting guard spot he obviously wants to fill.

Roy is on a good streak recruiting shooting guards - 2009 Dexter Strickland (#24 ranked recruit RSCI), Leslie McDonald (#44), 2010 Reggie Bullock (#15), 2011 P.J. Hairston (11), 2012 (in the mix for T.J. Warren #23), 2013?

He must feel he can't win with his system without an elite shooting guard, or is that an ultra-quick point guard, or was that a top notch big man, or an NBA-caliber small forward, or just that his teams tend to be more successful when they are more talented?

DukeHoopsGuru
09-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Roy's recipe to date is very simple. His system requires an extremely fast and good north to south point guard. It's no coincidence UNC did a 180 when Marshall took over the point.

MartyClark
09-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Wow, the more I read about this guy, the more I like him. Unreal skill level, great size & athleticism, seems like he's got a great head on his shoulders, wet jumper, and he's pretty good looking on top of all that. Sign me up. Go get him Coach K!!!

Jabari Parker Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zx6y0qx9Rc

Someone said his father is Sonny Parker, former Golden State Warrior. As I recall, he was a pretty darn good player. We seem to do pretty well with sons of former NBA players.

dukedoc
10-03-2011, 12:47 PM
This link (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=1113285&nid=4763170&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d75%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d1113285%26nid% 3d4763170%26fhn%3d1) seems to indicate Mr. Randle is attending midnight madness somewhere despite the homecoming conflict he had cited in cancelling his trip to CTC. Perhaps he's going somewhere locally such that it is feasible to get there and also go to his homecoming? Just thought it was interesting...

Duke79UNLV77
10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
This link (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=1113285&nid=4763170&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d75%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d1113285%26nid% 3d4763170%26fhn%3d1) seems to indicate Mr. Randle is attending midnight madness somewhere despite the homecoming conflict he had cited in cancelling his trip to CTC. Perhaps he's going somewhere locally such that it is feasible to get there and also go to his homecoming? Just thought it was interesting...

Google search shows enough to indicate it is local, Texas.

41 minutes ago – Julius Randle has set up his midnight madness visit. Scout.com's No. 2 prospect in the 2013 class will stay local and head to Austin (Tex

airowe
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Texas' midnight madness is on Saturday. Once he decided against coming to Durham, he has maintained that he would see Texas' first practice.

http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-basketball/blogs/Julius-Randle/2011/09/23-Randle.aspx

Other than that, I’m headed to TCU on Oct. 1 and then I'm going to Texas on Oct. 15. I think that’s when they have their first practice so I can’t wait to see that. While I’m there I might have to get on a track with my boy Myck Kabongo, Haha.

Deathby3
10-05-2011, 04:35 PM
UNC just offered heavy UNC lean Nate Britt. Britt is the 15th ranked player in the 2013 class and the 2nd ranked PG. UNC's 2013 class is shaping up to be a big class with one top 15 recruit already committed.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-05-2011, 05:48 PM
UNC just offered heavy UNC lean Nate Britt. Britt is the 15th ranked player in the 2013 class and the 2nd ranked PG. UNC's 2013 class is shaping up to be a big class with one top 15 recruit already committed.

Good looking PG. Seems to have a nice feel for the court and a good handle.
He has an offer from Duke as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN4aVxthd7s

rotogod00
10-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Good looking PG. Seems to have a nice feel for the court and a good handle.
He has an offer from Duke as well.

According to Telep, Duke is not currently in on Britt. K visited him in the summer, but haven't been to DC to see him this fall.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-05-2011, 09:15 PM
According to Telep, Duke is not currently in on Britt. K visited him in the summer, but haven't been to DC to see him this fall.

I read somewhere that he had a Duke offer, and Georgetown I think, but I don't remember where, so maybe Duke has not offered.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-05-2011, 10:56 PM
I read somewhere that he had a Duke offer, and Georgetown I think, but I don't remember where, so maybe Duke has not offered.

Looks like I was wrong about Britt having a Duke offer, at this time.

All I can find is that Duke has "shown interest".

airowe
10-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Britt has been to campus a few times as he is friends with a number of the players on the roster and Nolan Smith as well. However, it doesn't look like Duke will add a point guard in that class.

I'm guessing Britt will be a Tarheel.

jnastasi
10-05-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm wondering how Ol Roy is gonna work this with Marshall, Paige, and now Britt...

gumbomoop
10-05-2011, 11:40 PM
If Britt, said to be a "heavy lean" to UNC, does someday commit to the Heels, we can perhaps say that Duke and UNC have their "point guards of the future" set, or close to it.

2012-13

Duke -- (Jr) Thornton, (So) Cook, probably (Sr) Curry
UNC -- probably (Jr) Marshall, (Fr) Paige, (Sr) Strickland

2013-14

Duke -- (Sr) Thornton, (Jr) Cook
UNC -- (So) Paige, (Fr) Britt, possibly-but-unlikely (Sr) Marshall

IMO, Cook is a future star and Thornton a future captain and first-rate defender. I'd guess Heel fans will find excellent qualities in their future PGs, too.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Paige and Britt playing together is not expected to be an issue.

From what I can tell from checking into him, UNC and Maryland are leaders, and Georgetown in the hunt.

gam7
10-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Britt has been to campus a few times as he is friends with a number of the players on the roster and Nolan Smith as well. However, it doesn't look like Duke will add a point guard in that class.

He attended CTC last year as well.

Newton_14
10-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Ok. The thread is now clean. I moved all of the off topic posts to new threads. Please stay on topic folks. Thanks!:)

Wheat/"/"/"
10-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Duke target Matt Jones interview (http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/1116126.html)just out....

"With Duke and Coach K, he absolutely knows what he's doing, so I trust him a lot. He's compared me a little bit to Seth Curry and some of the things he does on the court and I like how they play".

flyingdutchdevil
10-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Ummmmm.... who isn't Nolan Smith friends with?

dukedoc
10-26-2011, 10:10 AM
"Matt Jones, a 6-4 SG at DeSoto High in Texas, visited Duke for last week’s Midnight Madness. He was impressed but hasn’t given Duke a commitment. 'There were several times on the visit where I thought about committing right there,' Jones told Scout.com, 'but I know it’s not the right time.'"

Devils RapidReports (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rapid-reports/post/15848999)

THE FUTURE
11-19-2011, 11:49 AM
http://youtu.be/3KYFLA0wlXM heres a link watch it

rumor has it nate britt to unc is a done deal... if that is true can someone please tell me that Duke will recruit this Guy...Watzone?

airowe
11-20-2011, 02:21 PM
I doubt you'll see Duke take a point guard until 2014. Tyus Jones, Theo Pinson, etc.

jimsumner
11-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I doubt you'll see Duke take a point guard until 2014. Tyus Jones, Theo Pinson, etc.

Correct.

Pinson is more of a 2/3. But Greensboro's JaQuel Richmond might also be in the mix.

dukeballboy88
11-20-2011, 03:01 PM
I hear Roy told Julius Randle a while back that he was his main target and was going to go after him hard.

Kedsy
11-20-2011, 03:50 PM
I hear Roy told Julius Randle a while back that he was his main target and was going to go after him hard.

So? He's the #2 recruit in his class. A lot of people are going to go after him hard.

gam7
11-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Was this before or after Isiah Hicks' commitment?

dukedoc
11-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Per Evan Daniels. Seems like we never got too involved with him - perhaps because we're liking what we have in Tyler and Quinn? Or perhaps we like Tyus Jones in 2014?

@EvanDanielscout
Evan Daniels
Nate Britt will announce his college decision on November 29th, per his father. Big news.

JasonEvans
11-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Per Evan Daniels. Seems like we never got too involved with him - perhaps because we're liking what we have in Tyler and Quinn? Or perhaps we like Tyus Jones in 2014?

@EvanDanielscout
Evan Daniels
Nate Britt will announce his college decision on November 29th, per his father. Big news.

Here is a short article (http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/11/25/2586153/maryland-2013-target-nate-britt-announcing-college-choice-on-november) on Nate Britt's choice. The Maryland fans really, really want to believe they will get him, but a lot of folks seem to think he will go to UNC.

-Jason "Britt is a very steady PG, thought not the athletic burner that Carolina had in Felton or Lawson" Evans

superdave
11-28-2011, 03:34 PM
If Britt picks UNC, what does that mean for their Class of 2012 point guard Marcus Paige? Over on Scout Paige is top 30 in 2012 and Britt is top 20 in 2013.

jimsumner
11-28-2011, 03:47 PM
If Britt picks UNC, what does that mean for their Class of 2012 point guard Marcus Paige? Over on Scout Paige is top 30 in 2012 and Britt is top 20 in 2013.

One of them gets to be Quentin Thomas.

superdave
11-28-2011, 03:58 PM
One of them gets to be Quentin Thomas.

That would seemingly scare Britt away since the two are not ranked all that far apart and Paige would have a year in the system. Perhaps his confidence in his abilities is his biggest strength.

Bluedevil114
11-28-2011, 09:41 PM
With Matt Jones now on board with Duke for 2013 where does that put us with Julius Randle? Is it true that we have not given him a scholarship offer? According to Scout we have given one to Jabari Parker but not Randle. Why not?

jimsumner
11-28-2011, 09:46 PM
With Matt Jones now on board with Duke for 2013 where does that put us with Julius Randle? Is it true that we have not given him a scholarship offer? According to Scout we have given one to Jabari Parker but not Randle. Why not?

Randle is a high priority and he knows it. Having Jones on board can't hurt. But they are not a package deal.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-29-2011, 09:06 AM

Insiders say the two have talked and are excited to play together.
If its not UNC, it will be a shock. All sources I've seen say UNC.

superdave
11-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Insiders say the two have talked and are excited to play together.
If its not UNC, it will be a shock. All sources I've seen say UNC.

Thanks Wheat. Got any insight into what the differences in their games and strengths are?

Wheat/"/"/"
11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks Wheat. Got any insight into what the differences in their games and strengths are?

Sorry, I have no real insight, since I've never seen them play other than YouTube stuff. It's interesting that both are lefty's. a new RW trend, it seems. And it's interesting to me that both use a little hesitation move with the dribble a lot. I've always liked that with players, it creates space and shows a good "feel" for the game most of the time.

From what I gather on these internets, Paige seems to be the more true PG.

Britt looks to be the combo who wants to penetrate/score, and likes to shoot it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHtfkosvwEc

COYS
11-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Sorry, I have no real insight, since I've never seen them play other than YouTube stuff. It's interesting that both are lefty's. a new RW trend, it seems. And it's interesting to me that both use a little hesitation move with the dribble a lot. I've always liked that with players, it creates space and shows a good "feel" for the game most of the time.

Britt looks to be the combo who wants to penetrate/score, and likes to shoot it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHtfkosvwEc

It's hard to speculate what rosters will look like more than a few years into the future. However, given that if both were to commit it is likely that Barnes will be gone to the NBA along with the graduating Strickland by the time they both could set foot on the court together. I could easily see a lineup that includes both point guards on the court along with Hairston or Bullock at the 3, at least for some stretches of the game. Also, remember Duhon committing right behind Jason Williams is precedent that not only can two top point guards commit in back to back years, but they can also thrive on the court together during the same season.

NSDukeFan
11-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Roy can't win without a left-handed point guard. :rolleyes:

-bdbd
11-29-2011, 05:05 PM

The Washington Post, citing multiple sources, is saying Britt will commit tonight to UNC over MD, Georgetown, and others.

dukedoc
12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Sounds good to me

"There is a high chance I go to Duke," Randle told Five Star. "But I'm looking everywhere, I'm wide open."

Link (http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/12-01-2011-kansas-sizing-up-big-targets-for-the-future)

jimsumner
12-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Sounds good to me

"There is a high chance I go to Duke," Randle told Five Star. "But I'm looking everywhere, I'm wide open."

Link (http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/12-01-2011-kansas-sizing-up-big-targets-for-the-future)

Sounds like cognitive dissonance to me.

dukedoc
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Sounds like cognitive dissonance to me.

Indeed - perhaps par for the course at his age and stage of prefrontal cortex development. That said, I feel like "I'm wide open" is an automatic add-on to any recruit's hint at preferences and, as we all know, often does not mean much. I do think his statement about Duke, particularly taking into consideration other clues like the commitment of Mr. Jones, etc., is interesting and may be more of a sincere sentiment rather than practiced strategic verbiage. Far too early to tell though probably.

Faison1
12-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Frankly, I miss the days of opening up the ACC Handbook to find out what recruits K had signed.

I bet the coaching staff misses those days, too.

licc85
12-01-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a question. So, am I correct in thinking the 2013 class is the first graduating class which will be affected by the new 20 year-old NBA age limit? If we somehow get Jabari AND Julius Randle for 2 years . . . WOW. That would be something.

duke1983
12-01-2011, 02:34 PM
I came across this article about Julius Randle. Apparently there is a quote from him which states:

"There is a high chance I go to Duke"

He also mentions that he is wide open right now, but I haven't heard this kind of quote from him before today so I wanted to get everyones thoughts...

http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/12-01-2011-kansas-sizing-up-big-targets-for-the-future

Bluedog
12-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I have a question. So, am I correct in thinking the 2013 class is the first graduating class which will be affected by the new 20 year-old NBA age limit? If we somehow get Jabari AND Julius Randle for 2 years . . . WOW. That would be something.

The NBA Age limit still hasn't been completely decided. It was reported yesterday that it's widely expect that it will remain at 19 for at least the first two years of the collective bargaining agreement. After two years, things could change potentially, but it's far from a sure thing.

BD80
12-01-2011, 03:52 PM
The NBA Age limit still hasn't been completely decided. It was reported yesterday that it's widely expect that it will remain at 19 for at least the first two years of the collective bargaining agreement. After two years, things could change potentially, but it's far from a sure thing.

The issue will be decided by Christmas, they will decide now whether the age will change in two years. The way it is being discussed, it sounds like the 2 year delay is the compromise reached.

Bluedog
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
The issue will be decided by Christmas, they will decide now whether the age will change in two years. The way it is being discussed, it sounds like the 2 year delay is the compromise reached.

Where have you read that? The only sources I see say "it is expected to remain at 19 for at least the first two years of the new deal and possibly beyond that."

http://tracking.si.com/2011/11/30/nba-age-requirement-for-eligibility-expected-to-remain-at-19-years-old/
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7297178/age-limit-other-issues-b-list-items-being-discussed-new-cba-sources-say

I have certainly read that the owners/league want to change it to 20, but haven't read a source that said players will compromise on that and thus the new timeline will be two years at 19 and then 20 thereafter. I'm not claiming to be an expert, though, and certainly could have missed a source, so feel free to correct my misconceptions.

CarmenWallaceWade
12-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I came across this article about Julius Randle. Apparently there is a quote from him which states:

"There is a high chance I go to Duke"

He also mentions that he is wide open right now, but I haven't heard this kind of quote from him before today so I wanted to get everyones thoughts...

http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/12-01-2011-kansas-sizing-up-big-targets-for-the-future

My thoughts are his comment sounds great. It's more common to hear a recruit say he is high on a school versus there is a high chance he will go to that school. Matt Jones recently committing certainly helps with this situation. But until it's official, I'll keep my optimism guarded. We'll see if Randle continues to speak this way after the dust settles.

BD80
12-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Where have you read that? The only sources I see say "it is expected to remain at 19 for at least the first two years of the new deal and possibly beyond that."

http://tracking.si.com/2011/11/30/nba-age-requirement-for-eligibility-expected-to-remain-at-19-years-old/
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7297178/age-limit-other-issues-b-list-items-being-discussed-new-cba-sources-say

I have certainly read that the owners/league want to change it to 20, but haven't read a source that said players will compromise on that and thus the new timeline will be two years at 19 and then 20 thereafter. I'm not claiming to be an expert, though, and certainly could have missed a source, so feel free to correct my misconceptions.

Probably more inference on my part than implication by reports on the negotiations. If the two year point wasn't significant, I don't think it would be so universally reported.

Jackson
12-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Am I the only one that feels that Jones hasn't been given the amount of coverage here that other commits have received? I'm excited about him. Right now, he's rated at 23 overall on scout, certainly a McD All American next year, but it doesn't seem to be talked about here. Great way to start next year's class IMO.

Bluedevil114
12-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Am I the only one that feels that Jones hasn't been given the amount of coverage here that other commits have received? I'm excited about him. Right now, he's rated at 23 overall on scout, certainly a McD All American next year, but it doesn't seem to be talked about here. Great way to start next year's class IMO.

I believe any fan that truly follows recruiting is very excited to have Matt Jones on board for 2013 especially considering we will have a real need for a shooting guard with the departures of Curry and Dawkins. There are a few reasons you may feel he is not getting the coverage of other players.

1. He committed super early and did not string it out like (Tony Parker and Shabazz). Alex Murphy and Rasheed are two of our most recent commits that you could say the same thing. They commit early and we feel great about it but the more talk will be who else joins them in that class.
2. The season has started and 2013 is 2 years away
3. We are really concerned about a big for next year (please commit Tony Parker)

Matt Jones also has his own thread now so new topics will be brought up there. I love Matt Jones game. His three point shooting is incredible, he can pull up for a mid range shot and bury it and is very good on the defensive end of the floor. He is currently working on strenght, handle and getting to the rim.

Go Duke!!!

gam7
12-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Being ranked 23rd does not make a guy a "certain" McDonalds All-American (only 24 players are selected), although being a Duke commit helps his cause. In addition to what bluedevil said, Jones is in the unique position of having strong ties to one of the potentially truly great prospects of the last decade, so his commitment has fueled more speculation about Randle perhaps than news about the commitment in and of itself.

duke1983
12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
http://dukechronicle.com/article/k-gets-second-texas-recruit

Another good article on Matt Jones to Duke as well as his relationship with Julius Randle. Nothing new, but it def. makes you feel good about our chances of having a Texas Trio at Durham in 2013...

tommy
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
http://dukechronicle.com/article/k-gets-second-texas-recruit

Another good article on Matt Jones to Duke as well as his relationship with Julius Randle. Nothing new, but it def. makes you feel good about our chances of having a Texas Trio at Durham in 2013...

And another one here (http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/12/05/matt-jones-working-on-julius-randle-to-duke/#more-62566) from Zags on the same topic. Intriguing quote from Randle, which may have already been posted elsewhere, so sorry if not new news.

”Duke, pretty much, that’s a great school, great tradition. They have one of the best coaches ever … There is a high chance I might go to Duke. I’m looking everywhere, I’m wide open.”

dukedoc
12-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Nothing new, but some more favorable words about Duke. LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/360/rappin-with-randle-season-starts)

mkline09
12-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Nothing new, but some more favorable words about Duke. LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/360/rappin-with-randle-season-starts)

Found it interesting that Randle couldn't visit Kentucky because he had to take the SAT. I would have thought Cal would have arranged someone else to take it for him so he could come. Just Kidding :p

loldevilz
12-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Having Randle would really help Duke fans forget about Parker. A Marshall -Randle front court would be dare-I-say-it athletic? I could definitely imagine playing Randle and Hairston and the 4-5 at times too if Marshall gets in foul trouble. With Quinn Running the show and great guards and wings like Gbinije, Murphy, Sulaimon, Jones...wow.

J4Kop99
12-07-2011, 05:42 PM
I would have loved to see the look on Calipari's face when he heard one of his recruits couldn't come because they had to take a test.

School? Tests? Homework?... gross.

-bdbd
12-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Having Randle would really help Duke fans forget about Parker. A Marshall -Randle front court would be dare-I-say-it athletic? I could definitely imagine playing Randle and Hairston and the 4-5 at times too if Marshall gets in foul trouble. With Quinn Running the show and great guards and wings like Gbinije, Murphy, Sulaimon, Jones...wow.

Why would they want to forget one of the most talented Devils' players??!
Silly LOL.

BD80
12-08-2011, 12:30 AM
I would have loved to see the look on Calipari's face when he heard one of his recruits couldn't come because they had to take a test.

School? Tests? Homework?... gross.

He should be excited that one of his recruits can spell SAT.

CPDUKEGUY24
12-08-2011, 05:33 AM
He should be excited that one of his recruits can spell SAT.

We're better than that guys. Let's not project Calamari's compromised judgment and standards on the quality of the kid's character, which he recruits. That's not fair. Im sure at some point we've targeted the same young men, maybe even Kyrie if memory serves (Rod Strickland?).

airowe
12-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Julius Randle on ESPNU tonight at 7PM EST: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/12/05/duke-fans-viewing-guide-2011-12-espnhs-basketball-showcase/

Tony Parker and his Miller Grove squad are also on at 8 on ESPN.

gam7
12-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Noel's teammates think Kentucky is a good fit for him: http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/12/19/nerlens-noels-teammates-want-him-at-kentucky/

Is the dribble-drive offense really so great for big men?

dukedoc
12-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Noel's teammates think Kentucky is a good fit for him: http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/12/19/nerlens-noels-teammates-want-him-at-kentucky/

Is the dribble-drive offense really so great for big men?

Not sure why Zags is writing about random meanderings, not even of recruits themselves, but of their teammates. Regardless, the dribble drive isn't good for big men, but that's not the way a typical teen thinks. Whether we like it or not, Kentucky, due to their recent successes in recruiting and consequent production of NBA lottery picks, has a certain cachet going amongst elite high school ballers. It is a "cool" place to play. Perhaps even cooler than Duke. That's what seems to matter to many teens, even more than any concerns surrounding ethics, etc.

DUKIE V(A)
12-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Randle, J. Parker, and Okafor are all absolutely absurd. How are these kids this good already??!!??

Getting any one of these players (to add to Matt Jones and the rest of the squad) would be a huge deal even for the likes of Coach K and Duke. Getting more than one could potentially be the best recruiting class in Duke history. Yes, I realize that is a mouthful and that these guys have a lot to prove, but they look amazingly talented.

rotogod00
12-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Randle, J. Parker, and Okafor are all absolutely absurd. How are these kids this good already??!!??

Getting any one of these players (to add to Matt Jones and the rest of the squad) would be a huge deal even for the likes of Coach K and Duke. Getting more than one could potentially be the best recruiting class in Duke history. Yes, I realize that is a mouthful and that these guys have a lot to prove, but they look amazingly talented.

Do you also realize that Okafor is in the class of 2014?

DUKIE V(A)
12-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Do you also realize that Okafor is in the class of 2014?

Wow...Thanks for the correction...I guess that makes him even scarier good. He looks ready to play major college ball right now.

blev23
12-28-2011, 08:30 PM
At the beach ball classic.....Ol Roy and Steve Robinson are posted up outside the locker room after Julius Randles game. Perfect timing by fans who distracted Roy just as Randle finally comes out. Wasn't even able to give him a head nod. As for the game, Randle was on cruise control most of the first half....mostly hanging out on the perimeter. I missed most of the 2nd half (hungry son) but he must have stepped it up as Prestonwood won going away. Tougher matchup tomorrow vs Whitney Young and Okafor. I'll have a better scouting report after that game.

loldevilz
12-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Do you guys think Randle will be a 3 or 4 in the NBA? also do you think Jabari Parker is a 2 or 3?

Bob Green
12-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Do you guys think Randle will be a 3 or 4 in the NBA? also do you think Jabari Parker is a 2 or 3?

It is irrelevant which position Randle or Parker ultimately play in the NBA. If they make the decision to play college ball at Duke, they will leave Durham as better ball players and citizens. Of course the same can be said for many programs throughout the nation. My desire is for Coach Krzyzewski and his staff to convince these young men to play ball at Duke but I equally desire for them to unpack their bags and buy into being student athletes. Discussing NBA positions for high school juniors seems a bit premature.

dukeballboy88
12-28-2011, 11:00 PM
When I watched Randle play the other night I thought he looked lazy on D. More so with his help D than his on the ball D but he still looked either winded or lazy.

K would fix that quick.

loldevilz
12-28-2011, 11:32 PM
It is irrelevant which position Randle or Parker ultimately play in the NBA. If they make the decision to play college ball at Duke, they will leave Durham as better ball players and citizens. Of course the same can be said for many programs throughout the nation. My desire is for Coach Krzyzewski and his staff to convince these young men to play ball at Duke but I equally desire for them to unpack their bags and buy into being student athletes. Discussing NBA positions for high school juniors seems a bit premature.

They are only 2 years away from being in the NBA, that's hardly premature.

MChambers
12-29-2011, 06:52 AM
But Bob also pointed out that it's irrelevant. This is a board about Duke basketball, not the NBA.

Devilsfan
12-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Someone earlier mention dribble drive and big men. Anyone watching us this year should realize our bigs dribble as much as any.

Newton_14
12-29-2011, 09:22 AM

I think that is a tall assumption seeing as how we don't even know how they will fair against College competition. There have been many kids over the years who looked dominant at the High School level but could not translate that to the college level let alone the NBA. Not saying either of these two guys will fall into that category, as both look like fine players, but you never know.

Like Bob, I believe the better question to ask at the moment is what position they project to play in College.

jimsumner
12-29-2011, 11:30 AM
I think that is a tall assumption seeing as how we don't even know how they will fair against College competition. There have been many kids over the years who looked dominant at the High School level but could not translate that to the college level let alone the NBA. Not saying either of these two guys will fall into that category, as both look like fine players, but you never know.

Like Bob, I believe the better question to ask at the moment is what position they project to play in College.

Yep. At this point in his junior year, Shavlik Randolph looked like a guaranteed NBA star. Same with Chris Burgess. Remember Schea Cotton? Or Felipe Lopez?

yancem
12-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Yep. At this point in his junior year, Shavlik Randolph looked like a guaranteed NBA star. Same with Chris Burgess. Remember Schea Cotton? Or Felipe Lopez?

Or Harrison Barnes! :rolleyes:

jnastasi
12-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Schea Cotton was the greatest player that never was...I saw him once play in high school and he was a complete man amongst boys...Lebron before Lebron...

It's a shame he couldn't pass his SATs

slower
12-29-2011, 04:08 PM
But Bob also pointed out that it's irrelevant. This is a board about Duke basketball, not the NBA.

Get over it. People talk about the NBA ALL the time on this board.

Turtleboy
12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
But Bob also pointed out that it's irrelevant. This is a board about Duke basketball, not the NBA.Really? I guess all those threads with titles like "NBA lockout is on" and Dukies in the NBA" and "Lance signed by Charlotte" and ones about Kyrie and Shane and on and on and on need to be purged. Could you get on that?

MChambers
12-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Really? I guess all those threads with titles like "NBA lockout is on" and Dukies in the NBA" and "Lance signed by Charlotte" and ones about Kyrie and Shane and on and on and on need to be purged. Could you get on that?
Those conversations are about players who actually played at Duke. But to speculate on what some position a high school junior, who may or may not go to Duke, will play in the NBA doesn't seem to me to be relevant to this board. Maybe you don't see a difference; I do.

-jk
12-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Gently, folks.

We do discuss the NBA here, but this particular thread is primarily about college bound players, teens, kids who haven't finished growing even. I think it's reasonable to keep the discussion here on college projections.

If anyone wants to start a high school > nba thread, no one will stop them.

-jk

MChambers
12-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Get over it. People talk about the NBA ALL the time on this board.
See my response to Turtleboy.

gam7
12-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Haha, tomorrow's game can't come soon enough!

A 2013 note: I checked out a couple of games at the Holiday Classic in San Diego a couple of days ago. I used to attend this tournament every year when I was in middle and high school. (An aside: Jim mentioned Schea Cotton above - the most memorable game I ever saw in the tournament was the championship game between Mater Dei featuring Schea Cotton versus Stephon Marbury's Lincoln High School. Both scored over 30 in the game with Lincoln taking the title.)

Anyway, I had an opportunity to see DeMatha, which features BeeJay Anya from the 2013 class (as well as James Robinson and Jerami Grant from 2012). DeMatha played Lincoln High School (in San Diego), which features the Robinson twins - Tyree and Tyrell - both guards in the 2013 class. Anya was a real problem for Lincoln and scored off of several nice back to the basket moves. He was more mobile and quicker than I expected him to be for a guy his size. He drew oohs and aahs from the crowd for a nice, quick drop step move in the second half. He also scored off of numerous offensive rebounds. In the Lincoln game, Anya was clearly the star of that team, which is saying something given the talent on the team.

Grant turned his ankle early but was not a huge factor in this game - he looks like a player, but not a game changer in this particular game. He looks very much like a young member of the Grant NBA family, which he is. James Robinson was a total non-factor (in fact, I don't believe he scored at all) and made his Top 50 2012 ranking seem surprising. DeMatha won by about 12-14 points.

Tyree Robinson carried Lincoln, hitting 5 3-pointers in the first half.

I also saw Grant Jerrett from 2012, whose high school team is terrible. Jerrett himself was not impressive. He towered over the opposing team and has long arms, but the other team was quick to double him every time he touched the ball and he had trouble dealing with the pressure. He's not physical, not particularly quick, not fiery. Based on the half I saw him play, his top 10 class ranking in the class is a head scratcher.

Aaron Gordon from 2013 sometimes forced it in his game but he played pretty hard. All in all, pretty solid, very good athlete. Given his size and athletic ability, he'll generate some ESPN top plays with highlight reel dunks at the next level. He has the potential to be pretty good and has a body that looks like he'd be able to bulk up pretty easily.

Devilsfan
12-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Shav only made a few million playing in the league and is now making additional money playing in China. Ask yourself, "how much did I make by the time I was 30?". I'd say that's not too bad in our recent economy.

jimsumner
12-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Shav only made a few million playing in the league and is now making additional money playing in China. Ask yourself, "how much did I make by the time I was 30?". I'd say that's not too bad in our recent economy.

I believe Shav is currently signed to a team based in Puerto Rico.

Undrafted out of Duke, Randolph managed to parlay a series of short-term contracts into 783 minutes in the NBA. He did suffer a gruesome leg injury. But it's awfully hard to spin his NBA career as anything less than a disappointment based on his reputation coming into Duke.

Lord Ash
12-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Actually, it seems Shav is busy tearing it up with the Leopards over in China.

Story (http://www.asia-basket.com/China/basketball.asp?NewsID=250485)

jimsumner
12-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Actually, it seems Shav is busy tearing it up with the Leopards over in China.

Story (http://www.asia-basket.com/China/basketball.asp?NewsID=250485)

Thanks for the correction. He signed with Gallitos de Isabela of Puerto Rico earlier this year. Didn't last long.

It's interesting to see so many familar names in the article cited. Remember when Randolph Morris and David Harrison were can't-miss-prospects? Former UNC signee J.R. Smith is there. And lots of other names. I guess the popularity of pro hoops in Chinca is partly a Yao Ming legacy.

Lord Ash
12-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I just happened to see this a few days ago over at TDD. And yeah, reading overseas basketball reports is like a who's who of familiar-but-not-totally-famous names:)

-jk
12-29-2011, 11:00 PM
awhom111 has been doing a very nice rundown in the Dukies in Europe, etc (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?25830-Dukies-in-Europe-and-other-places-outside-the-USA) thread. He's had reports on Shav in China. It's a good read.

-jk

SupaDave
12-30-2011, 12:24 PM
I guess the popularity of pro hoops in Chinca is partly a Yao Ming legacy.

with a WHOLE lot of help from Nike - dating back to MJ and punctuated by Kobe. The Chinese seem to adore Nike and all things promoted by them.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44449695/China_s_Consumers_Upgrade_to_Nike_and_Adidas

Sorry to hijack the thread. Now back to recruiting. In fact - I just got a thread idea...

Gorilla
12-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Lol I thought I clicked on the recruiting thread..my fault

jnastasi
01-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Any truth to Randle being at the game today?

doctorhook
01-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Randle was at the game behind the bench.

mkline09
01-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Randle was at the game behind the bench.

Along with 2014 recruits Theo Pinson and JaQuel Richmond.

AlaskanAssassin
01-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Did they attend UNC's game before ours?

mkline09
01-01-2012, 08:58 PM
I know Randle did. Not sure about Richmond and Pinson.

dukedoc
01-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know if we're involved with Noel still? I've heard his name and Duke mentioned together previously, but not in a while. As expected, he was quite impressive over the weekend. He would look pretty good CIS.

jimsumner
01-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Does anyone know if we're involved with Noel still? I've heard his name and Duke mentioned together previously, but not in a while. As expected, he was quite impressive over the weekend. He would look pretty good CIS.

I believe Duke's contacts with Noel were not encouraging.

dukedoc
01-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks, Sir. That's what I figured given the lack of chatter.

superdave
01-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Scout has updated its Top 100 (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2013) in the Class of 2013.

superdave
01-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Scout has updated its Top 100 (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2013) in the Class of 2013.

The list had Duke involved with the following:

1. Parker (offer)
3. Randle (offer)
20. Jones (committed)
52. Nichols (no offer)

Anyone know of others in the Top 100 we are after?

Ichabod Drain
01-25-2012, 02:39 PM
That's the first time i've heard of Nichols but I just looked up a coupld videos of him and he looks like he has some decent hands for being a big man, he seems like a very good shot blocker, and he showed a little mid range game as well.

-bdbd
01-25-2012, 02:46 PM

1. Parker (offer)
3. Randle (offer)
20. Jones (committed)
52. Nichols (no offer)

Anyone know of others in the Top 100 we are after?

Thanks Super!
Those are the four names I've heard in the past, but I'm sure there are others with whom we are in touch...
Any of our "insiders" able to point out any others? Boy, you do see right away the reputation for the 2012 class being better/deeper among the bigs being proven out. A lot more 1's and 2's in this class top-100 I think. Only four 5's in the top 50 overall (though to be fair there are 15 PF's in the top-50)..

Ichabod Drain
01-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks Super!
Those are the four names I've heard in the past, but I'm sure there are others with whom we are in touch...
Any of our "insiders" able to point out any others? Boy, you do see right away the reputation for the 2012 class being better/deeper among the bigs being proven out. A lot more 1's and 2's in this class top-100 I think. Only four 5's in the top 50 overall (though to be fair there are 15 PF's in the top-50)..

You have to remember these guys are still juniors (16 or 17) and most of them probably still have some growing to do. I think for the most part bigs usually develope a little later than guards in high school. Anthony Davis is a prime example, though he's definately on the extreme end of developing late.

superdave
01-25-2012, 05:13 PM

1. Parker (offer)
3. Randle (offer)
20. Jones (committed)
52. Nichols (no offer)

Espn has their new Top 60 up (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2013/view/terrific25/sort/rank/order/true).

1. Parker
3. Randle
24. Jones
Nichols does not make the top 60, graded out at a 92 and #60 was a 93.

dukedoc
02-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Um, this guy is humongous. He's very clunky and he plays against very weak competition, but, I don't know, the guy is uber-tall, so I think he warrants at least a brief post. VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-CThQskBM)

Bluedog
02-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Um, this guy is humongous. He's very clunky and he plays against very weak competition, but, I don't know, the guy is uber-tall, so I think he warrants at least a brief post. VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-CThQskBM)

Thanks for the link! Yeah, that's a pretty funny video and doesn't show much of anything. He's obviously so much taller and stronger than the kids he's up against, it's just unfair. They look like 5th graders! It's quite funny that he didn't win the tip though. I recall Sim Bhullar at 7'5" had some interest on this board a while back and just graduated as an unranked center and enrolled at New Mexico State. He is on their roster, but hasn't registered a point yet. I wonder if he's injured or simply hasn't gotten in a game at this juncture. Height certainly helps with basketball, but when you get to big time college hoops, you need some skill to go along with that height or it won't get you anywhere. That guy looks like he needs to improve in a lot of facets in his game to be recruited by high level squads.

dukedoc
02-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Another PG name in the mix. If he comes to Duke he'll need to consider changing "Cat" to something else...

Clint Jackson @clintjackson1
Just confirmed that Duke's Steve Wojciechowski was in Hampton last night watching 6-2 PG Anthony "Cat" Barber.

CDu
02-10-2012, 09:31 AM

Bad sign that he lost the opening tip to a kid probably a foot shorter.

Very clumsy and slow (not surprising given his height). And I'm guessing the opposing team didn't have anyone over 6'5" in their lineup, so those easy entry feeds and basically uncontested dunks would be a lot more difficult at the college level. I suspect a coordinated 6'8"-6'10" big man might give him trouble (as crazy as that sounds).

nolan8or
02-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Another PG name in the mix. If he comes to Duke he'll need to consider changing "Cat" to something else...

Clint Jackson @clintjackson1
Just confirmed that Duke's Steve Wojciechowski was in Hampton last night watching 6-2 PG Anthony "Cat" Barber.

Barber says Duke is his dream school.

http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/02-15-2012-video-anthony-barber-calls-duke-his-dream-school-wants-to-play-unc-s-britt-1

dukedoc
02-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Barber says Duke is his dream school.

http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/02-15-2012-video-anthony-barber-calls-duke-his-dream-school-wants-to-play-unc-s-britt-1

Always nice to hear a young man calls Duke his favorite/dream school. Will be interesting to see how this plays out with 2014 also rich which PG prospects, particularly Jaquel (who I think also calls Duke his favorite school) and Tyus.

superdave
02-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Espn has Barber ranked at #24 (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2013/order/true) in the Class of 2013.

Duke just offered a point guard, Tyrus Jones, in the Class of 2014. We have Tyler Thornton through the 2014 season and Quinn Cook through the 2015 season, so I'm going to wager that we are more interested in a Class of 2014 point guard than we are in Barber. Anyone have a different line of thought?

Bluedog
02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Espn has Barber ranked at #24 (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2013/order/true) in the Class of 2013.

Duke just offered a point guard, Tyrus Jones, in the Class of 2014. We have Tyler Thornton through the 2014 season and Quinn Cook through the 2015 season, so I'm going to wager that we are more interested in a Class of 2014 point guard than we are in Barber. Anyone have a different line of thought?

I agree. We also have shown some interest in JaQuel Richmond in the class of 2014 who has states that likes Duke a lot. He's ranked 25th in the class according to Scout, so similar to Barber (in ranking, at least, I don't know about their styles). Tyus is a top 5 prospect (for now, we know rankings can change considerably as we're only talking about high school sophomores). It's not a bad thing to have too many high quality PGs, but I'd imagine we need to save some scholarships for some big men. It's always good to see what the options are, though, and the staff certainly is doing its due diligence and keeping all options open.

gam7
02-15-2012, 03:41 PM

So, a 2013 PG would overlap with a senior Thornton and junior Cook. A 2014 PG would overlap with a senior Cook.

This is an interesting situation and a nice one to be in for Duke (at the moment). Jones ('14) is generally considered the best PG in high school, regardless of class. Very well-rounded, can do it all very well. Everyone is after him. He also is extremely tight with Okafor ('14), whom Coach K loves.

Richmond ('14) and Barber ('13 - who I hadn't heard of until this morning) seem to both naturally really like Duke, and from what little I have read, are ranked in the same range for their class and seem to have similar strengths - lightning quick with the ball, etc.

I don't see having three PGs from those two classes being problematic, especially if one views Jones as a possible one- or two-and done. Keep in mind, we would've had three PGs in the freshman/sophomore classes right now if Kyrie had decided to stay. Throw in the fact that the Class of '15 appears, at this stage, to be relatively weak, and I think there is room for three PGs. Not sure how those kids would view it though...

tommy
02-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Throw in the fact that the Class of '15 appears, at this stage, to be relatively weak...
They're a bunch of 9th graders. How can anyone rate them, as a group, at this point, considering all the changes in every single one of them, their bodies, their skills, and most importantly, their lives, that without question will occur prior to commitment time?

-jk
02-15-2012, 07:44 PM
They're a bunch of 9th graders. How can anyone rate them, as a group, at this point, considering all the changes in every single one of them, their bodies, their skills, and most importantly, their lives, that without question will occur prior to commitment time?

Hell, those changes really don't stop (slow?) until somewhere in their twenties. Change is the very essence of college - and HS - hoops.

-jk

superdave
02-16-2012, 09:50 AM
No way! Bob Knight offered Damon Bailey when he was an eight grader.

Li_Duke
02-16-2012, 10:06 AM
So, a 2013 PG would overlap with a senior Thornton and junior Cook. A 2014 PG would overlap with a senior Cook.

This is an interesting situation and a nice one to be in for Duke (at the moment). Jones ('14) is generally considered the best PG in high school, regardless of class. Very well-rounded, can do it all very well. Everyone is after him. He also is extremely tight with Okafor ('14), whom Coach K loves.

Richmond ('14) and Barber ('13 - who I hadn't heard of until this morning) seem to both naturally really like Duke, and from what little I have read, are ranked in the same range for their class and seem to have similar strengths - lightning quick with the ball, etc.

I don't see having three PGs from those two classes being problematic, especially if one views Jones as a possible one- or two-and done. Keep in mind, we would've had three PGs in the freshman/sophomore classes right now if Kyrie had decided to stay. Throw in the fact that the Class of '15 appears, at this stage, to be relatively weak, and I think there is room for three PGs. Not sure how those kids would view it though...

We've had 3 PGs from 2 classes before (Jay Williams, Chris Duhon, and Andre Buckner) so it's not unprecedented. Granted, Buckner wasn't a top recruit, but considering Coach K played Jay and Chris together a lot, it could have worked even if he was.

But I imagine the real strategy in getting involved with Barber is in the case that Cook is good enough to leave after his junior year. Rather than relying on a freshman PG in '14 (especially if we don't get Jones), we could hand the reins to a sophomore Barber and a freshman Richmond.

UrinalCake
02-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Whatever happened to those rules that were put in place to prevent coaches from recruiting kids until they were juniors in high school, or something to that effect? Did those just go away?

superdave
02-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Whatever happened to those rules that were put in place to prevent coaches from recruiting kids until they were juniors in high school, or something to that effect? Did those just go away?

I think it's voluntary. I think the NABC recommended coaches not offer kids until they are finished with their sophomore seasons. Of course there's relatively no difference between we're offering you now and we're going to offer you in March.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3452988

AlaskanAssassin
02-16-2012, 02:45 PM
New Diary: http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/3166/julius-randle-coaches-calls-playoff-time

MCFinARL
02-16-2012, 03:03 PM
New Diary: http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/3166/julius-randle-coaches-calls-playoff-time

Can't really tell much from these, but clearly Duke is still pretty strongly on his radar. Also good to hear he is eating his vegetables. ;)

jnastasi
03-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Interesting read today on Jabari Parker.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/7652207/simeon-jabari-parker-keeping-eye-illinois-coaching-situation

I sure hope we can drag him away from the Big 10 or 12 or whatever that conference is called now

MCFinARL
03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Interesting read today on Jabari Parker.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/7652207/simeon-jabari-parker-keeping-eye-illinois-coaching-situation

I sure hope we can drag him away from the Big 10 or 12 or whatever that conference is called now

Interesting story, not sure how much it means--seems like Parker's dad wanted to say something nice about Bruce Weber.

One thing I thought was interesting: according to the dad, Jabari has gotten a qualifying ACT score but is taking the test again because he wants a higher score. If true, that suggests he is interested in some schools that have higher than minimally qualifying admission standards. The most academically challenging schools on his current list of offers (according to his ESPN page) are Northwestern, Duke, and UNC.

Li_Duke
03-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Interesting story, not sure how much it means--seems like Parker's dad wanted to say something nice about Bruce Weber.

One thing I thought was interesting: according to the dad, Jabari has gotten a qualifying ACT score but is taking the test again because he wants a higher score. If true, that suggests he is interested in some schools that have higher than minimally qualifying admission standards. The most academically challenging schools on his current list of offers (according to his ESPN page) are Northwestern, Duke, and UNC.

I liked hearing that he's qualified but wants a higher score. Not every top HS player would be interested in sitting through a long test twice. It indicates he values academics (as does putting Northwestern on his list); that can only help Duke.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Remember Joel James, UNC's "project" 6'10" 280lbs post recruit?

He's been working hard and now he's down under 250lbs. He looks a little like Haywood to me. A true post player you guys are gonna love.

Here's a recent March video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hbDz1OfIpaI I ran accross of him.

No telling if Henson or MacAdoo leave, but If they do, UNC will have some options.

dukedoc
04-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Are we involved with the Harrison twins? I've seen very little connecting us with them, but I did see a tweet the other day from either Telep or Biancardi indicating we were in the picture. True or false?

bounce840
04-16-2012, 03:00 PM
How about Duke's recruiting for next year?? Who are the major targets. And a scouting report for Matt Jones??

Rich
04-16-2012, 03:22 PM
How about Duke's recruiting for next year?? Who are the major targets. And a scouting report for Matt Jones??

See http://verbalcommits.com/schools/duke

bounce840
04-17-2012, 12:59 AM
I know that but I think Duke should go after Austin Nichols and put the full court press on the young man and Barber. We have a good recruiting class coming in this next year if we can get a commitment from Barber.

tommy
04-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Freeman is a 6'3" 195 guard from North Carolina who now has as his five Villanova, Kansas, Duke, Ohio State, and UCLA. This article briefly describes Duke's picking up its interest in the young man and a very complimentary quote from him about the program and Coach K. Sounds like one to watch.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/04/18/allerik-freeman-adds-duke-ucla-ohio-state-to-list/#more-71730

BlueDevilBrowns
04-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Freeman is a 6'3" 195 guard from North Carolina who now has as his five Villanova, Kansas, Duke, Ohio State, and UCLA. This article briefly describes Duke's picking up its interest in the young man and a very complimentary quote from him about the program and Coach K. Sounds like one to watch.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/04/18/allerik-freeman-adds-duke-ucla-ohio-state-to-list/#more-71730

FYI...Freeman is rated #13 overall in 2013 by Scout.com and is #3 SG.

LINK:http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4876062

Kedsy
04-18-2012, 04:53 PM
FYI...Freeman is rated #13 overall in 2013 by Scout.com and is #3 SG.

LINK:http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4876062

How redundant would he be with Matt Jones?