PDA

View Full Version : Wallace Wade/Cameron Indoor upgrades

kingboozer
11-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Article in today's Triangle Business Journal about WW and Cameron expansion and upgrades, namely bringing WW's capacity to 45,000. Dream Big!

GO DUKE!

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/2010/11/duke-dreams-big-for-wade-cameron.html

Lord Ash
11-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Dammit. Team stores in Cameron?

You come to Cameron to watch a basketball game in the greatest venue on earth, not buy a t-shirt. Want to buy stuff? Go to the student center.

*sigh*

loran16
11-17-2010, 07:16 PM

You come to Cameron to watch a basketball game in the greatest venue on earth, not buy a t-shirt. Want to buy stuff? Go to the student center.

*sigh*

On one hand, I'm with you. On the other, the game remains the same, as does the playing environment. Fine with me. (adding seats to Wally Wade changes the playing environment)

SCMatt33
11-17-2010, 07:34 PM
I never believe that any construction project at Duke, athletic or academic, is happening (especially the details), until the work actually begins. Too many times, plans all over campus have been talked about, but a large number never happen. That's saying something, considering how many actually do happen. I will reserve judgment until I see a set budget and construction fences at the site.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-17-2010, 07:56 PM
I never believe that any construction project at Duke, athletic or academic, is happening (especially the details), until the work actually begins. Too many times, plans all over campus have been talked about, but a large number never happen. That's saying something, considering how many actually do happen. I will reserve judgment until I see a set budget and construction fences at the site.
Duke has long range construction plans for both Wallace Wade and Cameron that are waiting for the economy to pick up. The WW plan is four to 5 times as large as the Cameron project and involves lowering the field and relocating the track (FDA's dream for a decade), building a tower, suites, raising the seating capacity to 40,000+, and yes, will include some sort of parking deck facility. The Cameron project is nothing near as drastic and I have no details and has nothing to do with the floor or lower bowl seating. At this point, the dreams are waiting for the donors' pocketbooks, corporate and private, to catch up with the dreams, so it might be a while. The athletic department is being very realistic. But there are 10 smaller construction projects currently ongoing, such as the baseball stadium upgrade, that are funded to the tune of ~$20 million.

weezie
11-17-2010, 08:02 PM
*sigh*

Heck, I'm still lamenting the loss of the Dope Shop and the feeling of wet bell bottom pant hems dragging through the waterfall at the bottom of the union stairs on a rainy day.
And the root beer milkshakes.

kingboozer
11-17-2010, 08:12 PM
But there are 10 smaller construction projects currently ongoing, such as the baseball stadium upgrade, that are funded to the tune of ~$20 million.

I wish they would use the Durham Bulls Athletic Park more, I really enjoyed catching Duke games there last season

duke79
11-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Heck, I'm still lamenting the loss of the Dope Shop and the feeling of wet bell bottom pant hems dragging through the waterfall at the bottom of the union stairs on a rainy day.

The Dope Shop is no longer there?? Damn, I guess I need to get back to the campus more often. LOL

OldPhiKap
11-17-2010, 10:30 PM

The Dope Shop is gone ?!?

Man, you've just destroyed an otherwise great night. Dope Dogs were the Breakfast of Champions back in the day -- two of those, sitting on the bench, watching the morning unfold . . . .

But I was an East Campus guy, so take it with a grain of salt.

Lord Ash
11-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Didn't mean to sound like a growling old timer... I guess change is not easy to accept. I suppose as long as K is there, what is Cameron will remain unchanged.

Johnboy
11-17-2010, 10:34 PM
The Dope Shop closed when the Bryan Center opened in the 1981-82 school year.

Also gone since at least 1985:
Bat's
The Ivy Room
Parker's

Y'all are funny.

hurleyfor3
11-17-2010, 11:12 PM

*sigh*

Well, you don't go to Cameron to watch teevee either, but that didn't stop Duke from putting in a new Jumbotron (four, actually) a couple years back.

dukebsbll14
11-18-2010, 12:05 AM

*sigh*

Yikes! Every time I hear the words "Cameron" and "upgrade" in the same sentence I get very nervous. What's wrong with the store in Wilson? Or the BC?

hurleyfor3
11-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Yikes! Every time I hear the words "Cameron" and "upgrade" in the same sentence I get very nervous. What's wrong with the store in Wilson? Or the BC?

Yeah, no kidding. Here are some "upgrades" they've made to Wrigley Field so they can play a football game there. Not photoshopped.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2010-11/57708570.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2010-11/57663511.jpg

Acymetric
11-18-2010, 12:56 AM

*sigh*

...But you can already buy merchandise in Cameron...this will most likely just make it a lot easier for people. Pretty sure they're not putting it at midcourt, I imagine its something you won't really notice unless you're trying to go into it.

Kimist
11-18-2010, 01:02 AM
The Dope Shop is gone ?!?

Man, you've just destroyed an otherwise great night. Dope Dogs were the Breakfast of Champions back in the day -- two of those, sitting on the bench, watching the morning unfold . . . .

But I was an East Campus guy, so take it with a grain of salt.

I still have fond memories of their REAL milkshakes.........

(One of the benefits of living in all-freshman quad nearby.)

k

Reilly
11-18-2010, 06:56 AM

Bat's
The Ivy Room
Parker's

Y'all are funny.

In the late 1980s, there was something called "The Dope Shop" on East next to (or in the same bldg, as I recall) as the post office, but I gather it was not the place that folks here are fondly recalling. No real milkshakes or anything that I recall. I do think it was the first place I ever saw a bagel: some Northern co-ed with wet hair, eating one and washing it down with a Diet Coke at 8 am, probably a rainy morning, and she looked a little stressed ... not a pretty sight.

Was Parker's the smallish place on the eastern edge of downtown? That was still around in the late 1980s as well (or at least a bit after 1985).

sandinmyshoes
11-18-2010, 07:21 AM
As long as the floor and seating bowl remain relatively the same, I have no problems with expansion and improvement for Cameron. I trust that the administration can look around the triangle at UNC and NCSU for lessons on how to not screw up a good thing.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-18-2010, 08:46 AM
In the late 1980s, there was something called "The Dope Shop" on East next to (or in the same bldg, as I recall) as the post office, but I gather it was not the place that folks here are fondly recalling. No real milkshakes or anything that I recall. I do think it was the first place I ever saw a bagel: some Northern co-ed with wet hair, eating one and washing it down with a Diet Coke at 8 am, probably a rainy morning, and she looked a little stressed ... not a pretty sight.

Was Parker's the smallish place on the eastern edge of downtown? That was still around in the late 1980s as well (or at least a bit after 1985).
There was a Dope Shop in East in the location you mentioned for many years. When I lived on East for four years, the menu was very much the same as was offered at the Dope on West. Changes emerged in the menus over the years before the two eateries and social gathering places disappeared into our collective memories.

Both locations could make a great chili cheese burger.... it wasn't a menu item when I began to request it in the East Dope in the late 60's, but it eventually found its way to a place on one of the white cards with blue stripes which promoted menu items.

DrChainsaw
11-18-2010, 11:22 AM
:(

Bat's
The Ivy Room
Parker's

Y'all are funny.

Now you've gone and made me cry.

I miss Mr. Parker & his 'cue.
And eating the bad pizzas at Bat's.
And the chocolate milk shakes at the Dope Shop (west campus).
And the Long Island Ice Teas at the hidden bar at the Ivy Room.

Why do people even go to Duke any more?

BlueDevilBaby
11-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Why do people even go to Duke any more?

To paraphrase a student, "For the basketball.";)

g4orce
11-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't recall where I first read about this, but it was at least a month ago, maybe 2. But I recall that the circle road around the ticket office at Cameron will be closed off, and a new central ticketing / main concourse area will be constructed that will join the two stadiums. I believe that is where the new store will be located, so that it will be convenient for both stadiums.

There are comparison plans now for WW regarding the stadium, as well as the press box / suites / etc... replacing the current press box. I actually have a pdf of that, but don't remember where I got it (maybe from a previous DBR topic?).

FWIW, I do have to say that they finally have made some positive traffic changes for FB games, but a new parking deck is sorely needed.

Bluedog
02-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure if we've seen a definitive statement about removal of the track in Wallace Wade before, but it looks like that's the official plan. Duke has announced a $100 million campaign for athletics, with the two main areas a renovation and expansion (adding 10,000 more seats) of Wallace Wade and renovating Cameron. I don't see a timeline mentioned in The Chronicle article from today.

Duke Athletics is embarking on an effort to raise $100 million to expand Wallace Wade and renovate Cameron Indoor Stadium...The changes include relocating the running track, lowering the field by five feet and closing the south end of the stadium to create a bowl.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/athletics-campaign-fund-stadium-upgrades-additions

uh_no
02-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure if we've seen a definitive statement about removal of the track in Wallace Wade before, but it looks like that's the official plan. Duke has announced a $100 million campaign for athletics, with the two main areas a renovation and expansion (adding 10,000 more seats) of Wallace Wade and renovating Cameron. I don't see a timeline mentioned in The Chronicle article from today.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/athletics-campaign-fund-stadium-upgrades-additions

I had the opportunity of speaking with Coach Cut last semester. Some of you may have noticed the construction occurring out next to the football practice field. That is the new 100 yd indoor practice facility which is to be completed by the fall. It will be completely open to students except when the football team has practice and should be a phenomenal addition to both our athletic and recreation facilities.

The plan is to remove the track and has been since at least the fall. A new ("beautiful") track facility will be built where the practice fields currently are at the corner of basset drive and science drive. My understanding, and I do not know if this is still the case, is that the lobby on the south side of cameron will be expanded, which will eliminate the circle at the end of basset drive, and effectively connect the yoh building, cameron and WW. I don't know much about those plans though. As long as they don't touch the court, we're great (though if the plans involved new bleachers, coach K would love that....he's been calling for years to have the arena redone to a more uniform and traditional state)

As for timeline, again according to coach C, the timeline for completion is 5-6 years. His wording was that he won't be around forever and wants to reap the benefits of what he's sown.

If the plans for WW look anything like what they were a couple of years ago, I think the stadium will be phenomenal. I only wish I had the finances to help the campaign

-bdbd
02-07-2011, 12:47 PM

The real "sigh" is that the vast majority of folks on this board have no idea what we're talking about re West Campus Dope Shop, etc. That old "Student Union" space - about 5% of the current Bryan Center size - had a real 1950's feel to it. With wedged in shops in the Basement (I don't know the building name, but think of 'basement under the current CI'). With a small post office, small bank, small barber shop, small gee-dunk shop, old-style milk shake/soda fountain, etc, etc - all wedged into a very tight space -- I think it all went away circa 1982. Sigh. Now I feel old! :rolleyes: (But all change certainly isn't bad.... and I suspect bringing stores into the CIS lobbies - as long as they are respectful of the feel of the place - will probably help raise a lot more revenue.)

Back circa 1980 Wally Wade did have a capacity over 40K I believe. The "structure" was the same, but they had large "temporary" bleachers sitting around much of the top rim. Anything that gets the seats closer to the field, and improves the restrooms situation, is a good thing and certainly cannot hurt attendance and recruiting.

:)

DevilWearsPrada
02-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Didnt they add extra concessions also this year at Cameron

PaIronDuke
02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
The real "sigh" is that the vast majority of folks on this board have no idea what we're talking about re West Campus Dope Shop, etc. That old "Student Union" space - about 5% of the current Bryan Center size - had a real 1950's feel to it. With wedged in shops in the Basement (I don't know the building name, but think of 'basement under the current CI'). With a small post office, small bank, small barber shop, small gee-dunk shop, old-style milk shake/soda fountain, etc, etc - all wedged into a very tight space -- I think it all went away circa 1982. Sigh. Now I feel old! :rolleyes: (But all change certainly isn't bad.... and I suspect bringing stores into the CIS lobbies - as long as they are respectful of the feel of the place - will probably help raise a lot more revenue.)

Back circa 1980 Wally Wade did have a capacity over 40K I believe. The "structure" was the same, but they had large "temporary" bleachers sitting around much of the top rim. Anything that gets the seats closer to the field, and improves the restrooms situation, is a good thing and certainly cannot hurt attendance and recruiting.

:)

I attended games at Duke Stadium (when Wallace Wade was actually coaching there!) in the '40's and '50's-when dinosaurs roamed the earth-and the seating capacity (for example, for the Rose Bowl, UNC games, etc.) was in the high 40's. There were bleachers all around the top rim, inside the bottom rim, and in the end zone. You can see this in the old photos of the Rose Bowl and of a Carolina game or two.

Having as a student had many a game of kick-goal on that old, historic sod-and having seen the rose bushes planted in the end zone area-I'll miss it when the field is lowered, but it has remained one of the prettiest college stadium settings in the country, although frankly the original Kenan Stadium-when you could see the Bell Tower and pine trees above the rim-was probably the prettiest facility in the country at that time.

"Dear old Duke thy name we sing...."--forgive the reminiscing of an old grad who still misses the '50's campus!

Indoor66
02-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I attended games at Duke Stadium (when Wallace Wade was actually coaching there!) in the '40's and '50's-when dinosaurs roamed the earth-and the seating capacity (for example, for the Rose Bowl, UNC games, etc.) was in the high 40's. There were bleachers all around the top rim, inside the bottom rim, and in the end zone. You can see this in the old photos of the Rose Bowl and of a Carolina game or two.

Having as a student had many a game of kick-goal on that old, historic sod-and having seen the rose bushes planted in the end zone area-I'll miss it when the field is lowered, but it has remained one of the prettiest college stadium settings in the country, although frankly the original Kenan Stadium-when you could see the Bell Tower and pine trees above the rim-was probably the prettiest facility in the country at that time.

"Dear old Duke thy name we sing...."--forgive the reminiscing of an old grad who still misses the '50's campus!+

I can relate. I, too, miss the old traffic patterns, old parking places and more intimate nature of the whole campus. That said, what we have now is, unquestionably, a better University and I am most proud of that.