PDA

View Full Version : The Heels may be getting shipped out

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Looks like them and MSU may be playing on an aircraft carrier next year.

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/11/17/10/Anchors-away-MSU-UNC-aircraft-carrier-11/landing.html?blockID=354961&feedID=3706&gt1=39002

sleepybear
11-17-2010, 06:54 PM
I like this. I hope Duke does the same one season.

devildeac
11-17-2010, 06:56 PM

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/11/17/10/Anchors-away-MSU-UNC-aircraft-carrier-11/landing.html?blockID=354961&feedID=3706&gt1=39002
Abandon ship...

Lord Ash
11-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Wow. Bizarre. Like... they would play up on the deck? Am I wrong in saying it could be awfully windy up there?

sagegrouse
11-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Wow. Bizarre. Like... they would play up on the deck? Am I wrong in saying it could be awfully windy up there?

I'll defer to our Navy contingent -- oldnavy, 4DecadeDukie and Bob Green -- but an aircraft carrier holds an entire wing of planes (70 or so). These are below deck and brought up only when flight operations require. The below-deck hangars are enormous, so an enclosed area would seem to be available.

sagegrouse

yancem
11-17-2010, 07:22 PM

I wonder why unc is the proposed opponent? I would have thought a team with more military ties would be more appropriate. Of course I'm biased but K's ties to Army and his being the USA coach would seem like a more natural choice. I'm sure that there are other schools with strong military links. Does Ol'Roy have any military connections?

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2010, 07:29 PM
I wonder why unc is the proposed opponent? I would have thought a team with more military ties would be more appropriate. Of course I'm biased but K's ties to Army and his being the USA coach would seem like a more natural choice. I'm sure that there are other schools with strong military links. Does Ol'Roy have any military connections?
It looks like two of the service academies are the other game in the double-header. It's all about promotion, so ya gota have the big name teams playing as well.

sleepybear
11-17-2010, 07:31 PM
I knew this was familiar.

Spartans won't play on aircraft carrier
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004

EAST LANSING, Mich. - Michigan State won't be playing basketball above water, at least not next season. The Spartans, the Air Force Academy, the Naval Academy and North Carolina had been discussing a November doubleheader on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier at a naval base near Jacksonville, Fla.

The U.S. Navy told the Spartans that the games couldn't be played next season because all ships need to be battle-ready while the military is involved in Iraq.

http://amarillo.com/stories/2004/03/10/col_spartans.shtml

Bob Green
11-17-2010, 08:02 PM

If the ship is at sea, winds across deck depend upon ship's speed and course, but they are usually strong enough to preclude the playing of a basketball game. However, there is plenty of room in the hangar bay. From the article, it sounds like they are talking about playing the game with the ship docked pierside so playing on the flight deck would be possible but wow the possibility of non-skid burns on the players knees, elbows, and faces isn't a pretty thought!

I'm sure they will install a basketball "court" on the flight deck if these games actually take place.

BD80
11-17-2010, 08:17 PM
This could help us answer a question that has been nagging at me for a while:

If we put LDII on the edge of the top deck, gave him a basketball and pointed him in the correct direction, could he hit the water?

Greg_Newton
11-17-2010, 08:17 PM
If the ship is at sea, winds across deck depend upon ship's speed and course, but they are usually strong enough to preclude the playing of a basketball game. However, there is plenty of room in the hangar bay. From the article, it sounds like they are talking about playing the game with the ship docked pierside so playing on the flight deck would be possible but wow the possibility of non-skid burns on the players knees, elbows, and faces isn't a pretty thought!

I'm sure they will install a basketball "court" on the flight deck if these games actually take place.

Bob, are you saying you think they'd play on the flight deck rather than below in a hangar? It would blow my mind if a regular season, counting college basketball game were played outdoors, no matter where.

Also, I assume the answer to this is no, but if you were blindfolded and brought in the hangar while the massive ship was docked, would you even know you were on a ship? i.e. is it just as stable as land, for all intents and purposes, without any sort of rocking? If not, this would be very bizarre.

DukeUsul
11-17-2010, 08:56 PM
I did some Googling to find out what the interior height of the hangar deck is on an aircraft carrier. I found numerous references to anything from 20-25ft as well as 7-10m (for a new British carrier). Here's one example

http://books.google.com/books?id=-UT7MDTeKj8C&pg=PA328&lpg=PA328&dq=hangar+deck+clear+height&source=bl&ots=HTgcYOBxQa&sig=hV82RZSt54pUEBnQM9YN_feb_4o&hl=en&ei=1obkTO2uH9nhnQe516n4BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=hangar%20deck%20clear%20height&f=false

Is that enough to play a game? I don't think so.

ajgoodfella7
11-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Sounds pretty awesome to me if it turns out to be true. I would guess the wind wouldn't be a huge factor if it is on deck because they will likely build bleachers
around the court. And they can also hang anti-wind nets. Of course this is assuming that it didn't rain that day in Florida.

DoubleDuke Dad
11-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Does the losing coach have to walk the plank? :)

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2010, 09:09 PM
They could do it in a bubble like they use for tennis courts. It would have to one hell of a big bubble to hold stands as well. I wonder how many people they are thinking will watch it live.

Bob Green
11-17-2010, 10:16 PM
The hangar bay is big enough. Here is a photo inside the hangar bay of the USS George Washington (CVN 73):

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/027387b.jpg

Bob Green
11-17-2010, 10:17 PM
One more photo:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/027387p.jpg

Festus
11-17-2010, 10:43 PM
I’ll chime in here. I spent some two dozen years in Naval Aviation which included six plus years aboard Aircraft Carriers. I lived in Jacksonville and had two tours on the Admiral’s Staff aboard one of the two Carriers homeported in Mayport, FL (seventeen miles east of downtown Jacksonville) during the 1978-1988 years. In Mayport, the carrier is tied up inside the Mayport Basin which is very shallow (only a couple of feet clearance for the keel of the Carrier) and somewhat sheltered. I do not ever recall any deck movement there so that would not be an issue. I will be interested to see whether they use the flight deck or hanger deck. I have jogged countless miles on both and each has its limitations. There are basketball goals on the hanger deck which are lowered and always in use when flight ops are secured. I do not recall that the overhead height was ever a factor in the many pick up games which occurred both inport and at sea. Historically, whenever big events like the Bob Hope USO tours of sixties occurred, they were always staged on the Hangar Deck and most of the aircraft were chained down on the flight deck but in this case, the air wing would not be aboard so they are not an issue. As Bob Green pointed out, the solid steel surfaces of the flight and hangar decks are coated with non-skid which is very abrasive so a portable court would have to be installed which might bring the overhead into play on the hangar deck depending on height of the imported court but I think it could be done. Regarding the flight deck, December is generally one of the best weather months in Mayport so the risk adverse weather is not as prevalent on a daily basis but one can never be sure. Being close to the water it is often breezy even in the Basin. Also, there would have to be more temporary rigging to make the flight deck work and be safe. It is a long way down to the water/pier surface and any player with the tenacity of Kyle Singler might be advised to play it safe but I am sure they would engineer whatever is needed to prevent any risks to players or spectators. There is definitely room up there like about three football fields in length. In fact, during flight safety stand downs the crew would be given R&R and up on the flight deck, flag football games would occur if weather and sea states were friendly. It would be more expensive to create safe and weathered-in conditions for the flight deck but I won’t discount it being an option. All things considered I am of the opinion that the Hangar Deck is the better option.

hurleyfor3
11-17-2010, 11:05 PM
I wonder why unc is the proposed opponent? I would have thought a team with more military ties would be more appropriate. Of course I'm biased but K's ties to Army and his being the USA coach would seem like a more natural choice.

Except a boat full of Midshipmen ain't never gonna root for an Army guy.

Does Ol'Roy have any military connections?

Yvan Eht Nioj!

RoyalBlue08
11-17-2010, 11:11 PM
It this turns out to happen, this will be one of the few times I will be really jealous of UNC. Sounds like a great idea and opportunity to me. I hope it happens.

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2010, 11:21 PM
One more photo:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/027387p.jpg
I see tiny X's.

JasonEvans
11-17-2010, 11:53 PM

If we put LDII on the edge of the top deck, gave him a basketball and pointed him in the correct direction, could he hit the water?

Dude, that was beyond awesome! I would give you pitchfork points for it, but I gave you some for something else recently so I need to wait a bit to give you more.

--Jason "BD, bringin' it!!" Evans

sandinmyshoes
11-18-2010, 07:19 AM
I wonder if the WWII era naval aviation school at UNC has anything to do with their inclusion in this event? I had a great-uncle who attended.

I have no idea if UNC still has any significant attachment to the Navy. It would be interesting to know, in light of this proposed event.

devildeac
11-18-2010, 07:55 AM
I wonder if the WWII era naval aviation school at UNC has anything to do with their inclusion in this event? I had a great-uncle who attended.

I have no idea if UNC still has any significant attachment to the Navy. It would be interesting to know, in light of this proposed event.

Maybe this past spring when they had several players "abandon ship?"

(that line has to work sometime:o;))

wilko
11-18-2010, 08:11 AM
This thread is a tease...
I thought some NCAA Review news had been leaked about penalties...

Lord Ash
11-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Glad to hear the input from the navy fellows, thanks guys!

The reason I assumed it would take place on the flight deck was simply because of the visual... it would LOOK great to be way up there with the ocean all around. The hangar deck is certainly big enough on most aircraft carriers, but it wouldn't look quite as neat as having it up top... just big and grey with lots of beams and rivets. They will absolutely install a basketball court; you can't really play on the rough surface of a carrier, as a few folks have pointed out... man it would hurt. And yeah, I suppose they could build something to deflect wind if it is held on the flight deck... they are VERY high up, and every time I've been on one (just visiting!) they have always been windy enough that I would have to think a basketball would be effected.

Funny image in my head of Kyle diving for a ball and going right over the side, thanks Festus:) Of course the REAL question is whether or not the ocean would come out of that unscathed!

I would imagine the ideal circumstance would be on the flight deck with some serious wind protection in place... the visuals would just be unbeatable, assuming you wouldn't have the camera at a low enough angle and without some background and thus lose the action against the background of the sea. Certainly an interesting idea.

PADukeMom
11-18-2010, 11:19 AM
When I saw this thread the image that instantly popped into my mind was, this was a few years back afte Coach Gut was let go, somebody on here made-up t shirts about rats feeling the UNC ship & listed people who had turned the coaching job down including Britney Spears & Elian Gonzalez.

davekay1971
11-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Since Haiti is still suffering and struggling, maybe they'll play while the ship is en route to bring catastrophe relief supplies to Haiti... Call it Operation This Is What a Real Frickin' Catastrophe Looks Like, Roy :cool:

monkey
11-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Yvan Eht Nioj!

Nice Simpsons reference.

g4orce
11-18-2010, 12:27 PM
First thing I thought of was Ol Roy in one of those protective helmets like Michael Dukakis wore. I know it was an Army tank helmet, and this is the Navy, but the thought is still funny.

bjornolf
11-18-2010, 12:28 PM
They filmed an episode of First Take from the new USS George HW Bush, and they did a segment on what the sailors do for fun. There was a HUGE hold below decks with multiple full-size basketball courts set up, as well as dance floor areas, football "fields" and other activity areas. That ship definitely would have had enough space to play a college basketball game. That area looked as big as some college gyms. It was definitely as big as the court area of CIS, if not QUITE as tall (it was still pretty darn tall though).

However, it might be fun to see what they'd do when a Tarheel air-balled a shot right off the side of the deck. :D

mph
11-18-2010, 12:58 PM
If the Heels win they just might hang a Mission Accomplished banner in the Smith Center.

shoutingncu
11-18-2010, 01:36 PM

Jason Evans beat me to the praise, but this is one of the funniest things I've read on this site.

And the answer is "only if the water is in the second row."

OldPhiKap
11-18-2010, 01:50 PM

"Um -- little help, please?"

BD80
11-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Jason Evans beat me to the praise, but this is one of the funniest things I've read on this site.

And the answer is "only if the water is in the second row."

So is it a good idea for our nation to put our soldiers in harm's way just for a basketball game?

"Um -- little help, please?"

It is a variation of an old saw about someone being so inaccurate that he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

UrinalCake
11-18-2010, 04:35 PM
I think it's time to cue Celene Dion and the theme song to Titanic

brevity
11-19-2010, 04:50 AM
Question: If it were UNC vs. Kentucky or Connecticut on an aircraft carrier, and there were no one from the armed forces on board, and the carrier was set to be retired anyway... do we root for the torpedo?

OldPhiKap
11-19-2010, 08:15 AM
It is a variation of an old saw about someone being so inaccurate that he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

BD, I was referring to what you say when the ball goes over the fence in the playground. Can you toss the ball back, please?

I thought your original line was one of the funnier things I have seen in a long time. Kudos.

BD80
11-19-2010, 09:58 AM
BD, I was referring to what you say when the ball goes over the fence in the playground. Can you toss the ball back, please?

I thought your original line was one of the funnier things I have seen in a long time. Kudos.

My apologies, I really should use "smilies" to indicate my attempts at humor, I was attempting to again play the fool, like a variation of the old bit where one character says a number and the other says: "lower," so the first one repeats the number in a much lower tone (on "Taxi" they had Reverand Jim do a version of this that was outstanding). I would have gone with the shark throwing the ball back and "professional courtesy," but Calipari wasn't involved.

Kareful with your kudos, it only encourages me! :D

OldPhiKap
11-19-2010, 12:25 PM
(on "Taxi" they had Reverand Jim do a version of this that was outstanding).

What

does

a

(looks at page)

yel-low

light

mean?

mkline09
01-26-2011, 09:22 AM
I know a lot of you aren't fans of bleacher report by the author of this piece does a pretty good job in my estimation. But I found this concept just facinating. Thought some of our Navy guys who post on this board might find this concept interesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/585244-unc-and-michigan-state-arranging-to-play-on-aircraft-carrier-next-veterans-day