PDA

View Full Version : FB: GT 30, Duke 20 Game thread

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2010, 08:54 AM
"I think our players, young and old, have different expectations of what they expect of themselves," Duke coach David Cutcliffe said Tuesday. "It's disappointing to lose ballgames, but not disappointing to see us continue to get better and grow as a program and really play excellent football in all phases a big percentage of the time.
"Now is an opportunity to take that next step."
http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/10340254/article-Blue-Devils-still-have-plenty-to-accomplish?instance=main_article

The game is in just a couple days, and we get to see how the tough loss to BC has affected the players. My guess is not much. They must know it was a winnable game that they (and the coaches) let slip by, but I'm doubting they are dwelling on it. My guess is they are fully focused for the GT game and ready to take it to the Wreck. I wonder if they are looking forward to playing against the option again, I bet so.
Same storyline, no turnovers.

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Despite the Blue Devils' 3-7 record, this is a team that can beat the Jackets, who have only won two more games than Duke this year. Quarterback Sean Renfree (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=381689) has been playing well -- no interceptions in the past three games -- and Duke has won two of its past three. Add to that Duke's experience this year against option-loving opponents Army and Navy, and it's possible the Blue Devils put Georgia Tech's bowl hopes on hold yet another weekend.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/18565/duke-a-bigger-challenge-than-miami

Bob Green
11-17-2010, 11:51 AM
This is a winnable game. Georgia Tech has lost three straight games and their starting QB (Nesbitt) is out. With Duke's experience against the option offense, we can slow down GT's offense:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/18565/duke-a-bigger-challenge-than-miami

We need to take care of the football and score touchdowns in the Red Zone. Go Duke!

loran16
11-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Make no mistake guys....this is another shootout. Gtech's lost really it's great defense this year, and has had to resort to outscoring people. It's gonna be tough to stop them, as always. So we gotta score and score often.

It'll be a tough game for sure.

OldPhiKap
11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
GT could be in trouble if we jump out to an early lead. Things are not happy at Ol' Grant Field these days. Miami smoked 'em.

Kimist
11-17-2010, 01:00 PM
I thought the football game was being played in Atlanta, not " @ Duke " ???

Bob Green
11-17-2010, 01:04 PM

Fixed! Thanks for pointing out the error.

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Oops! I had copied from previous. Thanks for the fix Bob. The last time we played at Alanta, Nesbitt was injured and Jaybo Shaw torched us for a ton of yards, so I don't put much to the fact that Nesbitt is out once again, maybe it's a ploy on their part!

made his first career start vs. Duke (Oct. 4)... his 230 yards passing against the Blue Devils were the most ever by a Tech quarterback in his first career start... was 9-of-13 passing against Duke with all nine passes caught by Demaryius Thomas... connected with Thomas on an 88-yard touchdown pass -- the third-longest pass play in Tech history... also rushed for a touchdown against the Blue Devils... named the ACC Rookie of the Week for his efforts

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/shaw_jaybo00.html

loran16
11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Oops! I had copied from previous. Thanks for the fix Bob. The last time we played at Alanta, Nesbitt was injured and Jaybo Shaw torched us for a ton of yards, so I don't put much to the fact that Nesbitt is out once again, maybe it's a ploy on their part!

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/shaw_jaybo00.html

Yeah, he's out for the season...no ploy this time :-P

pbc2
11-18-2010, 06:50 PM
It's been a disappointing season in Atlanta, but the Jackets need this game to become bowl-eligible. Their backs are not a good matchup for our defense, so I expect them to score. We made a young QB in Rettig look good last week, and I am afraid we may do the same. The offense will need to put up a lot of points and not stall in the red zone as they have in our close losses. I don't think this one will get to be as much of a shootout as UVA, but both teams should move the ball pretty easily on offense.

peloton
11-18-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm very interested in seeing how we play against GT after the close loss to BC. I think this team once again has full confidence in their abilities. I believe we're going to leave Atlanta with a victory...but we're going to have to want it more than the Jackets (and they're going to want it pretty bad.) While I have confidence in Desmond, I look forward to Josh Snead getting more carries with hopefully both being effective running the ball. Just as our team is maturing and improving I have confidence that the coaching staff will continue to do so as they become more "in sync" with our guys' strengths and weaknesses. I'm hoping that Coach Cut and Coach Roper demonstrate more confidence in Sean, our receivers, and running backs when we're in the red zone. I believe the team will bounce back after the loss to the Eagles with a tough win against the Yellow Jackets. We've got 2 games left in the season...let's finish the season strong! Go Devils!

Bob Green
11-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Here is a game break down from the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2010/11/19/breaking-down-tech-vs-duke/

The article contains some interesting observations for GT Coach Paul Johnson:

Coach Paul Johnson said that Duke may actually present a bigger challenge than Miami, which has the best defense in the ACC, because the Blue Devils like to jump around before the snap, whereas Miami lined up and stayed mostly in position.

Saturday's game provides an opportunity for Duke football. Winning a conference road game in November would be a huge step in the right direction.

Over at the ACC Sports Journal, Rob Daniels, in his Weekend Preview, states the key to the game for Duke is scoring touchdowns in the Red Zone:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/201011189107/weekend-preview-nov-19.php

The Blue Devils have one of the best kickers in the land in Will Snyderwine, but three of their ACC defeats can be pinned largely on failure to convert chances into TDs.

Georgia Tech's rush defense is ranked nineth in the ACC and gives up 177.3 yards per game so we should have success running the ball to set-up the play action pass. I'm ready for another exciting Saturday of Duke football!

loran16
11-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Here is a game break down from the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2010/11/19/breaking-down-tech-vs-duke/

The article contains some interesting observations for GT Coach Paul Johnson:

Saturday's game provides an opportunity for Duke football. Winning a conference road game in November would be a huge step in the right direction.

Over at the ACC Sports Journal, Rob Daniels, in his Weekend Preview, states the key to the game for Duke is scoring touchdowns in the Red Zone:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/201011189107/weekend-preview-nov-19.php

Georgia Tech's rush defense is ranked nineth in the ACC and gives up 177.3 yards per game so we should have success running the ball to set-up the play action pass. I'm ready for another exciting Saturday of Duke football!

Yep Bob! Running (Even with Connette) may be a good choice this game!

</still bitter>

RelativeWays
11-19-2010, 01:51 PM
I hope the football gods smile upon us tomorrow. We've been terrible against GT last two years but they aren't the same team with no Dwyer and Nesbitt out. I think we have a legit shot. If this team can win 3-5 including 2 tough road games, 2 conference games and a back to back win, thats a big boost for next season. Should have beaten BC but can't dwell on that now.

Bob Green
11-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Yep Bob! Running (Even with Connette) may be a good choice this game!

</still bitter>

Ha ha. I'll try to not get you too riled up in chat tomorrow.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2010, 03:17 PM
I think out defense is up to the challenge. I agree that we need to put up some 6 + 1 's in the red zone instead of 3's.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Do any of you close to the program have any information about how practice has been this week? Has Coach said anything this week about the confidence and spirit of the team. It seems this could be our biggest game in years, in moving the program forward. I am already excited about next year. With another year's experience I think we will take a BIG step forward next year. But, we need to take some baby steps this year by winning at least one of the next two games. Obviously, two wins would be even better.

Bob Green
11-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Has Coach said anything this week about the confidence and spirit of the team.

You can listen to Coach Cutcliffe at this link:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/david-cutcliffe-talks-georgia-tech/

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Duke hasn't started off as strongly as I'd like to see, but they are holding their own so far.... tied 3-3 in the 1st. Nice sack of the GT QB. Find the answer to Allen and we may be in business.

Snyderwine kicked a career long field goal of around 52 yd.

El_Diablo
11-20-2010, 02:23 PM
argggg! Fumbled to end a solid drive...

davekay1971
11-20-2010, 02:29 PM
argggg! Fumbled to end a solid drive...

Yeah, those kind of errors are killers on the road. Hopefully our D can get the ball back quickly and get our offense back out there.

Meanwhile the University of Nefarious Cheaters is beating NC State. Ugh, disgusting. As good as last night was, I hope today isn't the antithesis...

El_Diablo
11-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Nice! Fake punt for first down!

El_Diablo
11-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Touchdown Connette! We really pulled out the trick plays on this drive.

Greg_Newton
11-20-2010, 02:45 PM
HOW ARE THEY REVIEWING THIS????

It's going to be overturned, because it was a fumble. But THE PLAY WAS OVER WHEN THEY BLEW IT DEAD AS A TOUCHDOWN, and nothing further should be reviewable.

I was ranting about this last week, and now here it is in a place of consequence.

ETA... Wow. Not even sure what to say. It was clearly a fumble, but not reviewable. But they review it and don't call it a fumble? Hmm.

I'll take it!!!!

juise
11-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Touchdown Connette! We really pulled out the trick plays on this drive.

I can't believe that didn't get overturned.

El_Diablo
11-20-2010, 02:48 PM
I can't believe that didn't get overturned.

It's hard to tell where he was with respect to the goal line on the initial touch.

But even if he was not over the line, it looks like it was jarred out of his hand initially, then he pinned it against his side temporarily as he crossed into the end zone, then it came loose after he was in the end zone.

davekay1971
11-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Wow. OK, so I'm following Duke-Ga Tech on the computer, NCSU-UNC on the TV. On 3rd and 18, UNC up 19-10, Russell Wilson runs 35 yards. Then on 4th and goal he basically throws up a hail mary which State pulls down for a touchdown. State then forces a punt and runs it back 88 yards for another touchdown. NCSU 24, UNC 19.

GO PACK!

GO DUKE!

Newton_14
11-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Stinks not having access to ESPN3. I am following on gamecast while watching the State/UNC on TV. Good guys ahead in both games!

Duke is playing well, we just need a strong 2nd half and finish this deal.

Go Duke!

davekay1971
11-20-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm nervous as a jackrabbit for State. My wife's a huge State fan, and I'd love to see them finish this win and keep themselves in contention for the division title. They've had a great year. Tom O'Brien and Russell Wilson are both really likeable. Add that to my natural UNC loathing and the fact that you really have a good guys vs bad guys story(O'Brien, playing by the rules vs Butch running what is now the dirtiest program in the ACC)...

State driving. Looking like they're trying to put this one away. Do it, State!

Great job by Duke to score again before halftime! Heck yeah, go DUKE!

davekay1971
11-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Duke with 131 passing yards and 96 rushing yards in the first half. That's some great, great balance. Keep it up, Devils!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm nervous as a jackrabbit for State. My wife's a huge State fan, and I'd love to see them finish this win and keep themselves in contention for the division title. They've had a great year. Tom O'Brien and Russell Wilson are both really likeable. Add that to my natural UNC loathing and the fact that you really have a good guys vs bad guys story(O'Brien, playing by the rules vs Butch running what is now the dirtiest program in the ACC)...

State driving. Looking like they're trying to put this one away. Do it, State!

Great job by Duke to score again before halftime! Heck yeah, go DUKE!

State's hanging on and seems to have the momentum at the moment.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-20-2010, 03:18 PM
State 27 Carolina 19 about 2:30 remaining in the game.

davekay1971
11-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Huge sack by Irving, then a huge pass by Yates. Wow. Gotta bring that back to the 1, but still a huge, huge play.

peloton
11-20-2010, 03:28 PM
As much as I'm pulling for the Pack, I'm here to revel in the strides that Duke football is making and more specifically, what we're doing today against GT. I should have known that all the board action would be here and not over at "that other forum" (which shall remain nameless.) Sean and Co. are looking more than respectable today; I'm also pretty impressed so far at our defense's effectiveness against the option. Keep the pressure on Duke! We need many more points on the board.

davekay1971
11-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Duke football under Dave Cutcliffe is moving so far in the right direction! I have a few patients and friends who are big vols fans, and each and every one of them tells me how saddened they were to not be able to get Cutcliffe away from us last off-season. They all value the same things we value in him: great offensive mind, great work-ethic, great integrity. A win today at GT would be a fantastic momentum builder going into next week's game against the evil empire.

peloton
11-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Paul Johnson appears to be an unhappy, frustrated man today...and I want to see him continue to be that way until about 4:30 or so.

peloton
11-20-2010, 03:39 PM
So true, DaveKay1971; a win on the road against GT today would be absolutely huge for us. Watch the penalites, Duke - enough with the mental mistakes.

davekay1971
11-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Sack in the end zone, and UNC goes down in flames! Ahhh, I love seeing the stunned and saddened faces of the whine and cheese crowd! O'Brien continues to own Butch Davis's cheatin' butt

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Duke football under Dave Cutcliffe is moving so far in the right direction! I have a few patients and friends who are big vols fans, and each and every one of them tells me how saddened they were to not be able to get Cutcliffe away from us last off-season. They all value the same things we value in him: great offensive mind, great work-ethic, great integrity. A win today at GT would be a fantastic momentum builder going into next week's game against the evil empire.
Tennessee's not the only fan base who'd like to have Coach Cutcliffe right now. I heard a number of Alabama fans say they'd like to have Coach Cutcliffe at Alabama right now.

Got to watch Duke and GT.... interception return. This game's not over. I expect to see renewed effort from the Blue devils. Duke's not going to roll over.

davekay1971
11-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Tennessee's not the only fan base who'd like to have Coach Cutcliffe right now. I heard a number of Alabama fans say they'd like to have Coach Cutcliffe at Alabama right now.

Got to watch Duke and GT.... interception return. This game's not over. I expect to see renewed effort from the Blue devils. Duke's not going to roll over.

No...that's not an option under Coach Cut. They'll come back. Come on Duke! Don't kill my happy feelings!

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Why put Connette in when Renfree has moved us down the field? This is reminding me of last week. THe coaches are trying to be too cute. Yes, I know that COnnette scored the touchdown, but give renfree a chance to win the game.

SharkD
11-20-2010, 03:48 PM
What's the URL for the snrubchat alternative?

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Why put Connette in when Renfree has moved us down the field? This is reminding me of last week. THe coaches are trying to be too cute. Yes, I know that COnnette scored the touchdown, but give renfree a chance to win the game.
Keep watching. This repeated use of QB subbing was effective in the first half... counteracted GT's continued shifting on defense.

dukeblue1206
11-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Agree 100%. I have no problem bringing Connette in like that but once that first down play lost 6 yards you have to go back with your passing QB if you plan on passing anyway like they did. Makes zero sense to me. Frustrating!!

peloton
11-20-2010, 03:59 PM
I know it's a cliche - but it's gut check time, Duke. Do we really want this win? Let's go, Devils! We need a TD - I've got faith.

juise
11-20-2010, 03:59 PM
It's hard to tell where he was with respect to the goal line on the initial touch.

But even if he was not over the line, it looks like it was jarred out of his hand initially, then he pinned it against his side temporarily as he crossed into the end zone, then it came loose after he was in the end zone.

Yeah, I agree that it was close. I think my expectation of it being overturned had as much to do with being conditioned for heartbreak with Duke football as it did with the play itself. The heartbreak apparently was just a little delayed.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Okay, we are moving the ball again with Renfree. If we get to the redzone will we give Renfree a chance to prove he is a winner, or will we let Connette take over?

peloton
11-20-2010, 04:07 PM
What a play!! Nice touch throw by Sean to a wide open Austin Kelly! Now we just need the defense to step it up a bit. We're back in this game, folks.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-20-2010, 04:07 PM
TOuchdown! GO DUke let's win this game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Good pick up on that run. Duke ball.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't have a problem with Connette on a 4th and 1, but we appeared to just be setting up the field goal. The field goal should have been made, but then they are never automatic, particularily for a team as snake bit as us.

El_Diablo
11-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Duke football, while showing some incremental improvement, is still so painful to watch. Shanked FG, then the DB never even turns around as he gets completely dominated for a 79-yd TD.

peloton
11-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Well, that hurt. Our secondary has to get more effective at defending the medium to long range passes.

arnie
11-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Duke football, while showing some incremental improvement, is still so painful to watch.

When its so obvious that Connette will be running from the shotgun, the play doesn't work well. That play and the next few plays have doomed us again.

El_Diablo
11-20-2010, 04:26 PM
When its so obvious that Connette will be running from the shotgun, the play doesn't work well. That play and the next few plays have doomed us again.

At least the offense is potent enough to give us a chance. But it's hard to overcome this many mistakes.

EDIT: Of course, just as I say that, we botch the snap for a 7-yard loss. And then somehow avoid an intentional grounding call on the next play. :)

arnie
11-20-2010, 04:30 PM
At least the offense is potent enough to give us a chance. But it's hard to overcome this many mistakes.

EDIT: Of course, just as I say that, we botch the snap for a 7-yard loss. And then somehow avoid an intentional grounding call on the next play. :)

Renfree is over 300 yards passing with no picks (I think) - its not his fault the staff thinks Conette is a saviour

peloton
11-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Keep 'em out of the end zone, Devils. Let's at least make the final score a little more respectable.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-20-2010, 04:46 PM
This was another game we could have won. We are just a few mistakes and perhaps not great play calling from moving to the next level. We are still young and the future looks birght. I do hope that Kelby Brown's injury was not serious. What a great talent that kid is as a true freshman. He could be our best linebacker since Mike Curtis, Matheson ro Biddle. TOugh loss. but let's go get those Heels. GO DUKE!

peloton
11-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Two of the GT seniors, Washington and the receiver who really burned us on the 85 yrd reception (can't remember his name) definitely came to play today on their Senior Day. Congrats to Georgia Tech, their fans, and to our Blue Devils who continue to improve and learn what it takes to win. As we Duke fans like to say, "next play".

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I, too, hope that Kelby's injury is not serious. What a talent!

Other than Kelby's injury, it looked as if we escaped with limited injuries..... an important factor for next week's game.

There was a lot of good offense today despite a number of little errors of execution. I like that the team never gave up and continued to play to win, not play to avoid losing. There were also some more new plays introduced. The defense continues to do better as they play more. GT seemed to win the battle of most penalties.

Warrick Dunn was one of the commentators on ESPN3.com broadcast of this game. Near the end of the game, he talked about the changing culture and was pretty complimentary regarding the transformation taking place.

The game next week offers a great opportunity for redemption!

peloton
11-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Right you are, thedevilmademedoit - although this season has been a bit of a disappointment in that I was thinking our win-loss record might be a little better, I'm very excited about our future. I won't predict that we'll go to a bowl next season like some Duke fans are doing, but I believe that we'll be a good bit better next year and that our record will reflect that. From everything that I've read, we've got some real talented guys who have at this point played little to none. We're only going to get better as these young guys mature physically and adapt to the speed of the college game.

I just have one thing to say re:future scheduling. I know what they say about hindsight, but scheduling the defending national champions to play us was not too smart. We're a program that's still trying to regain its footing after being one of the worst FBS programs for decades...some would say, the worst. I would beseech those who make those types of decisions to not schedule an absolute powerhouse program like Bama again anytime in the next couple of years or so. I understand that to really improve as a program you have to sometimes play teams that you have little chance of beating. However, scheduling a team such as Alabama (that's so much better than you are) will typically simply demoralize a team such as your's. Our team is still gaining much needed confidence and faith in their own abilities and we've made progress in that area last season and yes, even this season. So, here's hoping that we don't have anymore games such as that scheduled in the near future. Let's wait until we've sustained some measure of success and gained some real confidence before we take on "the big boys". I'm a dyed in the wool optimist but I'm also a realist at the same time.

I realize that we have one more game (and not just any game), but I'm already excited looking forward to next season. Duke football is definitely on the rise!

El_Diablo
11-20-2010, 07:21 PM
So, here's hoping that we don't have anymore games such as that scheduled in the near future. Let's wait until we've sustained some measure of success and gained some real confidence before we take on "the big boys".

You might have to wait a little bit to get your wish...we're hosting Stanford next year and then playing at Stanford in 2012. Other than that, though, we don't have any real powerhouses lined up for the next several years. Here are our future nonconference opponents:

2011 – at FIU; Richmond; Stanford; Tulane
2012 – FIU; Memphis; N.C. Central; at Stanford
2013 – Elon; at Memphis; Navy; TBD
2014 – Kansas; Tulane; TBD; TBD
2015 – at Army; N.C. Central; Northwestern; at Tulane
2016 – Army; at Louisville; at Northwestern; TBD
2017 – at Army; Baylor; Northwestern; TBD
2018 – Army; at Baylor; N.C. Central; at Northwestern

Dukeface88
11-20-2010, 08:31 PM
You might have to wait a little bit to get your wish...we're hosting Stanford next year and then playing at Stanford in 2012. Other than that, though, we don't have any real powerhouses lined up for the next several years. Here are our future nonconference opponents:

2011 – at FIU; Richmond; Stanford; Tulane
2012 – FIU; Memphis; N.C. Central; at Stanford
2013 – Elon; at Memphis; Navy; TBD
2014 – Kansas; Tulane; TBD; TBD
2015 – at Army; N.C. Central; Northwestern; at Tulane
2016 – Army; at Louisville; at Northwestern; TBD
2017 – at Army; Baylor; Northwestern; TBD
2018 – Army; at Baylor; N.C. Central; at Northwestern

I believe Stanford's quarterback is considered a prime candidate for early entry to the draft. Besides that, their 1st and 3rd recievers are seniors, along with a lot of their linemen on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure they'll be quite as intimidating next year as they look now. Not that they'll be bad, but I don't think they'll be Bama.

Side note: Does NC Central count for bowl eligibiity now? They didn't last year, IIRC.

Son of Jarhead
11-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Side note: Does NC Central count for bowl eligibiity now? They didn't last year, IIRC.

If I recall, it was the fact that NCCU was the second I-AA (FCS) we played & since we lost to the first one (Richmond), we had to count that one & thus the NCCU game couldn't count. It wasn't anything about NCCU itself, the same would have been true no matter who the 2nd I-AA team was.

Disappointing result today, but I am heartened by the fact we have been in every game late except the Alabama & Va Tech games (easily the two best teams we've faced). Now let's go beat the snot out of the baby blue boys & end the season on a high note. Go to Hell Carolina!

Son of Jarhead
11-20-2010, 11:43 PM
If I recall, it was the fact that NCCU was the second I-AA (FCS) we played & since we lost to the first one (Richmond), we had to count that one & thus the NCCU game couldn't count. It wasn't anything about NCCU itself, the same would have been true no matter who the 2nd I-AA team was.

Ok, so I recalled incorrectly... oops. :o That almost never happens more than hourly. :confused:

NC Central did not count last year b/c they were not full fledged I-AA yet. Had not met all criteria.

If we had played two full fledged I-AA last year (say, Richmond and William & Mary) and lost to the first, we could count the second..

Thanks to Reilly for setting me straight.

Channing
11-21-2010, 01:45 AM
I got to go to the game today, and I was really impressed with Duke. As we know, long gone are the days of absolute ineptitude on offense. But a break here or there and we had this game won.

I don't understand why a Duke student who is a football fan in general wouldn't want to watch this team play. They air it out and pick up large chunks of yards at a time. Its an exciting brand of football.

Even though we lost, it was very gratifying to hear all the Tech fans around me talk about how this isn't the Duke team they expected, and how good our team looked.

Devilsfan
11-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Our future is very bright. Coach Cut has put together quite a nice group of young players. All I want for Christmas is a D Backfield. Maybe in the current juco ranks we can find some D Backs with ability like Cooper. It seems to me that whenever our opponents need a big play they look at one area of the field to throw into. Thank goodness the heel coaches can't count past the fingers on one hand.

devildeac
11-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Renfree is over 300 yards passing with no picks (I think) - its not his fault the staff thinks Conette is a saviour

If the last comment is in reference to the pick 6 he threw, I found out yesterday that the receiver ran the wrong route on the play. It was a short slant and he ran a longer route, ended up behind the LB or DB, instead of in front of him, and therefore, had no chance for the catch. Still, a killer play to stop our drive and give them a huge break.

pbc2
11-26-2010, 04:06 PM
If the last comment is in reference to the pick 6 he threw, I found out yesterday that the receiver ran the wrong route on the play. It was a short slant and he ran a longer route, ended up behind the LB or DB, instead of in front of him, and therefore, had no chance for the catch. Still, a killer play to stop our drive and give them a huge break.

That's not what Brandon said after the game: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/sean-renfree-and-brandon-connette-post-game-comments/

devildeac
11-26-2010, 04:30 PM
That's not what Brandon said after the game: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/sean-renfree-and-brandon-connette-post-game-comments/

There wasn't a word on there about that play from that link. Got another link or quote?