PDA

View Full Version : Goon Squad

cascadedevil
11-17-2010, 06:40 AM
The Crazies continued to be fantastic last night. Now we have the toothpaste school coming in on Friday night. If any of the members of the Goon Squad read this board, I would love to read post game thoughts on your cheers and the reactions of the other teams. Keep it up Crazies and us Uper Crusties will give you support!

airowe
11-17-2010, 08:33 AM
It was rowdy in there last night (and I was watching on tv.) It almost sounded like a late season ACC contest.

The Goonies are bringing the Crazies to a whole new level. Keep bringing it.

Acymetric
11-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Maybe I've missed something, but who are the goonies in this case?

Bluedog
11-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Maybe I've missed something, but who are the goonies in this case?

Here you go:

The entire student body was great, but especially the group of students sitting directly across from the Duke bench and into that corner. I could not make out all of the taunts and cheers, but several that I did understand made me smile and cheer all that much lounder.

This particular group of students is a new group that calls themselves "the Goon Squad." They are made up of 9 fraternities on campus that organized together to take advantage of the Line Monitors big group rules. They'll be organizing for 7-8 games this year with the next one being Friday. They should be larger next time since Sunday was the first time.

I think this is a good move on the Line Monitors' part to encourage large groups. Particularly since the Cameron Crazies, fairly or not, were being seen as "nerdy" by some segments of the student population in recent years. And it was seen as "uncool" to be a part of it (again, only by a certain contingent), so I think that perception is universally changing....

Scorp4me
11-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Nerds are uncool, Frats are cool? I think I've seen that movie somewhere, although I'm fuzzy on the ending.

SuperTurkey
11-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Nerds are uncool, Frats are cool? I think I've seen that movie somewhere, although I'm fuzzy on the ending.

http://www.emergencynerd.com/images/nerds-ogre.jpg

<

http://www.thecorrectness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Nerds.jpg

94duke
11-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Oh, I thought you said the Goonies...

Devilsfan
11-17-2010, 01:51 PM
"Cool" kids definitely help. For the last few years we heard it was not "cool" to be in the Crazie croud and their lack of enthusiasm and creativity helped support this perception. Roughly 10% of our student body play a sport and many of those students are the frat students this thread is talking about. They're leaders on the fields and courts and they need to be the "face" of Duke, imho. This is a positive move and our atmosphere is getting back to where it was historically. Go Devils.

tele
11-17-2010, 02:04 PM

Don't worry there will be a sequel.