PDA

View Full Version : Pitino

diablesseblu
11-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Unfortunately, I was one of the many who could not access ESPN3 tonight. I was reduced to getting my TV Bball fix tonight by watching Butler vs Louisville.

My attitude about Pitino as a coach has been all over the map until tonight. In the last few minutes of the game, his senior leader, Preston Knowles, went down in agony with a re-injured calf. He literally had to be carried off of the court by teammates. (The Cardinals had a fairly safe lead at that point.)

I was appalled by Pitino's lack of attention to his fallen player. He virtually ignored him.

Has this always been his in game approach when someone goes down? It was painful to watch. If I were Preston's parents, I would be furious.

hedevil
11-17-2010, 12:15 AM
After the Duke game I tuned into this game. I noticed the same thing. Pretty sad.

What I also noticed was how awful Butler looked in tonight's game from what I saw, although Mack had a killer game. It is early in the season, so I'm sure that Butler will get their act together as the season goes on, but hopefully not until after the Duke/Butler rematch. Today's Butler will have a tough go against Duke.

throatybeard
11-17-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm not willing to judge him. Last year, there was a lot of high church here about how Bob Huggins "was obviously faking it" or some such in his embrace with Butler. Now Pitino isn't demonstrative enough? Enh, I'll split the difference.

diablesseblu
11-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Actually, my concern tonight about Pitino had nothing to do with who the Cards were playing.......Butler, Smutler. Eh!!

I've just never noticed a coach who seemed so disconnected from a painful injury to his/her player.

I'm confused about what he was thinking/not thinking about his priorities as a coach.

uh_no
11-17-2010, 12:50 AM
i think you guys are firing blanks here....

oldnavy
11-17-2010, 07:34 AM
I didn't see it so I really cannot comment on the specifics, however who knows. Maybe the kid is a drama queen and Pitino has seen it many times before and is just immune? I hate to say that especially if the kid is really hurt, but I have seen so many kids go down in games and writhe around in agony only to get back up after their moment in the spot light and play like nothing happened. Could this be the case here? Again, if not and the kid is really hurt my sincere apologies and best wishes for his recovery.

weezie
11-17-2010, 08:08 AM
oldnavy, I love your avatar! It makes me smile.

BD80
11-17-2010, 09:10 AM
While we are on Pitino, I saw a recent interview where he said he tried to get a series with Duke (I believe he wanted to have Duke there to open the fried chicken parts arena). Butler was the second choice (or lower). I had mixed emotions, I would like to see more series against top coaches, and a series with Louisville would piss of UK fans (I would NEVER condone a series with UK or uCon).

I respect Pitino as a coach, not as a person. The reports about his actions last night are consistent with my feelings.

I will defend Huggy. Sure, he was a bit over the top with his reaction to his injured player, but it clearly wasn't staged. More like he truly felt he had the power to help the kid focus away from the pain of the injury and the crushing disappointment of the realization that his season was over. Huggy takes chances on questionable kids, but he is not like Calipari whose only goals are to win and turn the kids into high draft picks to further his recruiting. Huggy is actually an educator, which is why his abysmal graduation rate at Cincy was so shocking and disappointing.

Billy Dat
11-17-2010, 11:15 AM
I have no problem with this. What was done was done, there was nothing Pitino could do and he needed to keep his head in the game and be there for the players competing. There isn't even a mention of the injury in any press write-up I could find.

94duke
11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Was it an "injury" or cramping?
To me, it looked like his calf muscle cramped multiple times.
I have had this happen, and if it is bad enough, you might need to be carried off of the court for leg cramps.

Orange&BlackSheep
11-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Actually, my concern tonight about Pitino had nothing to do with who the Cards were playing.......Butler, Smutler. Eh!!

I've just never noticed a coach who seemed so disconnected from a painful injury to his/her player.

I'm confused about what he was thinking/not thinking about his priorities as a coach.

in the Replay section of ESPN3.

I have to say I had the exact same reaction as you did in terms of watching his complete disconnect from the dude rolling around on the floor. But you do have to point out that it was clearly leg cramps that he was suffering from which is not exactly a cause for real concern.

dukejim1
11-17-2010, 10:12 PM
I didn't see it so I really cannot comment on the specifics, however who knows. Maybe the kid is a drama queen and Pitino has seen it many times before and is just immune? I hate to say that especially if the kid is really hurt, but I have seen so many kids go down in games and writhe around in agony only to get back up after their moment in the spot light and play like nothing happened. Could this be the case here? Again, if not and the kid is really hurt my sincere apologies and best wishes for his recovery.

Old Navy, Your not confusing the kid with Vince Carter are you ?

oldnavy
11-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Old Navy, Your not confusing the kid with Vince Carter are you ?

Perhaps! This is one of my pet peeves, "pseudo injuries". It makes me so mad to see someone roll around on the court like they have been shocked with 220v only to get up and continue to play like nothing has happened. It usually occurs after a boneheaded play by the individual (missed dunk, charge call, etc...) and rarely after a good play. I guess that is one of the reasons I like Kyle Singler so much, he takes a hit and gets right back up with no drama! Now Miles Plumlee is on my man crush list for that dislocated finger episode the other night. He did very little in the way of bringing attention to him self during what had to be a very painful injury. He just grimiced and then went back out and clanked his FT's :D. Got to love the toughness.