PDA

View Full Version : Why does Digger Phelps always hate on Duke?

Bluedevil114
11-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Digger coached Notre Dame so why does he hate Duke so much?

On the College Basketball previews and again tonight he just is so down on the Duke squad making comments like our front line is not up to the task of rebounding like we did last year. It wasnt until half way throught the ACC schedule when Zoubs was inserted into the starting line up. Last year during the tournament he was picking against Duke along with throughout the season whenever we had a big game he was down on Duke.

He always tries to point out our weakness instead of focussing on what we do to create mismatches with our strengths. Bilas is talking about how many turnovers we will create and all the extra possesions we will have and he says yes but wait until Michigan State comes to town. Izzo will have them coached and they will not be rattled and we will see if Duke can rebound with State.

What is his problem? He has been like this for years towards Duke.

1 24 90
11-16-2010, 07:23 PM
He also pointed out that Duke only beat Va Tech 77-74 in last year's ACC Semis and Va Tech has all their players back. Only problem is that Duke beat Miami in last year's ACC Semis. Just try to ignore Digger and someday he will hopefully go away.

Bluedevil114
11-16-2010, 07:32 PM
He also pointed out that Duke only beat Va Tech 77-74 in last year's ACC Semis and Va Tech has all their players back. Only problem is that Duke beat Miami in last year's ACC Semis. Just try to ignore Digger and someday he will hopefully go away.

I thought I heard him say ACC Final and he was getting them confused with Georgia Tech. Do your homework Digger.

roywhite
11-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Some theories as to why Digger seems to hate on Duke:

1. Duke beat his Notre Dame squad in the 1978 Final Four to spoil Digger's only trip to the FF.
2. Notre Dame played a regular series with Duke; while some of the games were close, ND routinely came out on the short end
3. Digger likes attention; beyond his matching ties and hi-liter, he doesn't offer much.
4. Duke grad Jay Bilas regularly outshines fellow comentator Digger.
5. Digger is generally a dope, certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I personally go for #5, but Digger no longer bothers me; I've come to realize he's found a way to get a great gig and provide occasional comic relief.

77devil
11-16-2010, 08:01 PM

1. Duke beat his Notre Dame squad in the 1978 Final Four to spoil Digger's only trip to the FF.
2. Notre Dame played a regular series with Duke; while some of the games were close, ND routinely came out on the short end
3. Digger likes attention; beyond his matching ties and hi-liter, he doesn't offer much.

I personally go for #5, but Digger no longer bothers me; I've come to realize he's found a way to get a great gig and provide occasional comic relief.

It's a long sordid history as Roy listed. In addition, Digger always felt the ACC was overrated and received too much publicity. And Duke is a face of the ACC.

Digger's coaching record is remarkably mediocre. He's been milking the upset of UCLA for nearly 40 years. Not sure why ESPN employs him.

_TheFakeJWill_
11-16-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote of the day

ajgoodfella7
11-16-2010, 08:35 PM
I think Digger is just sour on Duke because they don't make dark blue (duke blue) highlighters. If the highlighter doesn't match, Digger just isn't interested.

NashvilleDevil
11-16-2010, 09:02 PM
The poster who said he's been living off the UCLA game is right on the money. I've never thought much of Digger when he was a analyst for games or in the studio. I'm sure he still has flashbacks of Dawkins blocking David Rivers.

Im4howdy
11-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Quote of the day

...he's never gotten over not being able to steal Gene Banks from Duke, after he'd committed. ;)

killerleft
11-16-2010, 09:59 PM
The poster who said he's been living off the UCLA game is right on the money. I've never thought much of Digger when he was a analyst for games or in the studio. I'm sure he still has flashbacks of Dawkins blocking David Rivers.

Shoot, I still have the same flashback!:p

WWJDD?

Atlanta Duke
11-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Al Featherston made these observations in a lengthy article posted on DBR several years ago regarding how certain talking heads feed the Duke gets all the calls conspiracy theory

And what about Digger Phelps? His problems with Duke started when Bill Foster beat him out in a bitter recruiting battle for Gene Banks. Then Banks and the Blue Devils beat the only Phelps-coached team to reach the Final Four. Phelps lost another big recruiting battle to Mike Krzyzewski when Johnny Dawkins picked Duke over Notre Dame. He had to watch as Krzyzewski’s Blue Devils climbed to greatness, while his own program faded – in large part because he kept losing good academic/athletic prospects to Duke.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=20628