PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley to join upcoming NCAA tourney coverage.

ajgoodfella7
11-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Just thought I'd relay this ESPN article which states that we should expect to see Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith giving some NCAA tourney studio analysis this upcoming year, and also that Marv Alberts may get to call some early games. Also up until the final four, tourney games will be broadcast on CBS, TNT, and TBS this year.

I am a huge NBA on TNT fan so I am looking forward to what Barkley, Smith and Ernie Johnson could add to the broadcasts.

What do you guys think? Good idea or bad idea?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5813422

Bluedog
11-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Also up until the final four, tourney games will be broadcast on CBS, TNT, and TBS this year.

What do you guys think? Good idea or bad idea?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5813422

Don't forget TruTV. ;) I'm happy about it in that we'll no longer have to watch games on a computer. And Chuck is funny. Always good to get another perspective on things, so I guess I like the addition. Although I actually think CBS does a good job with their in-game broadcasting teams overall...But adding just Marv Albert should be pretty good.

moonpie23
11-16-2010, 05:27 PM
charles: look a that excellent spacing on duke's defense
kenny: duke sucks

charles: kenny, how can you say they suck, they're beating your team by 30 points
kenny: christian laettner is gay !

charles: oh kenny, you just saying that cause unc is in the nit
kenny: coach k uses bad language on the sidelines

charles: kenny, UNC's coach uses bad language on TV in the press conference
kenny: butler deserved to win

charles: you gonna eat that donut?

SCMatt33
11-16-2010, 05:30 PM
I wish I hated the idea, that way I could say that it's "turrible," but in reality, I think this will be the best thing to happen to March Madness since Gus Johnson.

77devil
11-16-2010, 05:35 PM
I have always enjoyed the candor from Charles on just about any subject, but he endeared himself to me forever during a banter with Kenny Smith after the Doh years when Duke had dominated Carolina for 5 or 6 seasons. I don't remember the context of the conversation, it may have been during the NBA draft, but Smith mentioned the rivalry and without missing a beat Charles shot back-"what rivalry?" He went on to say how can there be a rivalry when Duke always wins, or words to that effect. Kenny stammered something in response but essentially was left speechless.

I'm looking forward to Sir Charles on NCAA tourney hoops.

airowe
11-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Things have been trending upwards ever since Billy Packer left the booth. If only Gus Johnson could call the title game, I'd be in heaven.

Sir Charles is a fantastic addition and I actually don't mind The Jet either.

Duvall
11-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Things have been trending upwards ever since Billy Packer left the booth. If only Gus Johnson could call the title game, I'd be in heaven.

If/when Carolina loses in the tournament this year, the "analysis" will be epic.

ajgoodfella7
11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Could a moderator please add the word "to" after "Barkley" and before "join" in my thread title so I don't feel so stupid for omitting it. Thanks. :)

Oriole Way
11-16-2010, 06:07 PM
This is awesome. Barkley is bar none the most entertaining analyst in the business, even though he rarely says anything insightful.

The only thing better than Barkley being an analyst is if he were to be a color man alongside Marv. Listening to his nuggets of observation during a live game would be incredible.

"That zone defense they tried to put on Duke was turrble."

Deslok
11-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Aww come on, Barkley says a ton of inciteful stuff. Oh wait, dang homonyms. But yeah, so long as you don't take him too seriously, he's always amusing to listen to.

verga
11-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Barkley is boring, his actions in the studio are ok for the NBA but not for college ball. Smith on the other hand is worse if possible, anytime we can keep the nba away from college ball, we're all better off for it. I can guarantee that both Barkley and Smith will compare the way things are done in the nba as opposed to college ball, i don't know if you've noticed this but the nba doesn't play basketball, in basketball you can't carry the ball or take 5 extra steps. The nba to me is the closest thing to professional wrestling there is on tv. sorry for the rant but as i said earlier let Barkley and Smith cover that farce (nba) they call a game and we'll all benefit from it.

NovaScotian
11-17-2010, 01:31 AM
this is easily the best news i've heard in weeks.

hurleyfor3
11-17-2010, 10:53 PM
and also that Marv Albert may get to call some early games.

Yessssssssssssss!

SuperTurkey
11-17-2010, 11:16 PM
If/when Carolina loses in the tournament this year, the "analysis" will be epic.

Wait, they're covering the NIT too?

NovaScotian
11-18-2010, 07:52 AM
http://vimeo.com/10632207

and third and fourth

brevity
02-08-2016, 03:28 AM
Probably not worth its own thread yet. But definitely worth sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HcVRSje-Uo

Best version ever?

timmy c
02-08-2016, 04:51 AM

Best version ever?

When I saw this my immediate response was...

weezie
02-08-2016, 08:22 AM

Best version ever?

Oh my! That is magical. I think I'll save that to play after my kids get married.

nocilla
02-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Did it say at the end that the Championship games was going to be on TBS? If so, that's Turrible in itself.

Furniture
02-08-2016, 08:45 AM
charles: look a that excellent spacing on duke's defense
kenny: duke sucks

charles: kenny, how can you say they suck, they're beating your team by 30 points
kenny: christian laettner is gay !

charles: oh kenny, you just saying that cause unc is in the nit
kenny: coach k uses bad language on the sidelines

charles: kenny, UNC's coach uses bad language on TV in the press conference
kenny: butler deserved to win

charles: you gonna eat that donut?

I am not gay but what has somebody being gay or not got to do with this?

allenmurray
02-08-2016, 09:50 AM

It was satire. it did not have to do with any issues regarding being gay, but had to do with the fact that Kenny Smith will use any available method to criticize Duke.

Pghdukie
02-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Marv should dress like a girl and do wnba games. Oops, my bad. He already did that. Screw him.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-08-2016, 10:22 AM
It was satire. it did not have to do with any issues regarding being gay, but had to do with the fact that Kenny Smith will use any available method to criticize Duke.

Also, as someone who was in middle school during Laettner's reign, it was a common refrain from fans who were tired of watching him, you know, be the greatest player ever to lace them up in college.

For more reference, watch the 30 for 30 - it's pretty dang interesting.

Having said all that, clearly if Kenny Smith said something like that in commentary, he'd be eviscerated.

nocilla
02-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Did it say at the end that the Championship games was going to be on TBS? If so, that's Turrible in itself.

Answering my own question but it is true.

"As part of the 14-year contract between CBS and Time Warner-owned Turner that began in 2011, rights to the National Championship Game will alternate between TBS in even-numbered years and CBS in odd-numbered years beginning with the 2016 tournament, marking the first time in tournament history the game will air on cable and breaking CBS' streak of broadcasting 34 consecutive National Championship games."

subzero02
02-08-2016, 01:26 PM

I have heard this attempted insult from UNC fans dozens of times... at least I heard it frequently in the late 90s and early 2000s. As someone else mentioned, it is brought up in 30 for 30.

Furniture
02-08-2016, 01:47 PM
I have heard this attempted insult from UNC fans dozens of times... at least I heard it frequently in the late 90s and early 2000s. As someone else mentioned, it is brought up in 30 for 30.

Regardless of what UNC fans might say or anyone else for that matter stating it on this forum puts the poster at the same low level IMHO.
Also regardless of how anyone feels about Kenny Smith it's just not appropriate to insinuate that he would say that.

I guess I am saying that I hope this forum is no place for this type of language/jokes.

Tom B.
02-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Answering my own question but it is true.

"As part of the 14-year contract between CBS and Time Warner-owned Turner that began in 2011, rights to the National Championship Game will alternate between TBS in even-numbered years and CBS in odd-numbered years beginning with the 2016 tournament, marking the first time in tournament history the game will air on cable and breaking CBS' streak of broadcasting 34 consecutive National Championship games."

I'd forgotten about that. It'll still be a CBS production with the usual CBS announcers, so the "feel" of the broadcast will be the same. But watching the game on something other than CBS will just seem....odd.

brevity
02-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Regardless of what UNC fans might say or anyone else for that matter stating it on this forum puts the poster at the same low level IMHO.
Also regardless of how anyone feels about Kenny Smith it's just not appropriate to insinuate that he would say that.

I guess I am saying that I hope this forum is no place for this type of language/jokes.

Sigh. This is my fault.

That comment about Kenny Smith was written by another member in November 2010. This thread is over 5 years old. I brought the thread back because I believe most new DBR threads are unnecessary, and this old thread was a good fit. You can even see that the last post before mine shows a different TNT personality singing "One Shining Moment".

The problem, which I did not anticipate, is that someone would apply 2016 sensitivity standards to a 2010 post (that no one voiced offense to back then). I understand the reaction, but it creates a bad precedent. Not everything written is intended to withstand the test of time. We laugh about "It's Over" now, but if someone were really willing, they could comb DBR for every pessimistic, teeth-gnashing prediction that was rendered moot by a positive outcome.

Lesson learned. Starting a new thread for this is still stupid, so maybe Charles Barkley's song should have gone in the 2015-16 Announcer Thread.

Edouble
02-08-2016, 09:32 PM
The problem, which I did not anticipate, is that someone would apply 2016 sensitivity standards to a 2010 post (that no one voiced offense to back then). I understand the reaction, but it creates a bad precedent. Not everything written is intended to withstand the test of time. We laugh about "It's Over" now, but if someone were really willing, they could comb DBR for every pessimistic, teeth-gnashing prediction that was rendered moot by a positive outcome.

FWIW, I would have had issue with that as far back as Laettner's actual playing days, but I was raised that everyone is the same and I went to a pretty progressive high school. I guess this is approaching PPB material, which tells me that the post in question should have come down as soon as it was put up.

53n206
02-08-2016, 10:04 PM

Why did you have to remind me of past headaches? It was Packer who addicted me to the mute button. Before the days of Dick Vitale.