PDA

View Full Version : Transfers - Olek and Carrick

lotusland
11-16-2010, 07:53 AM
I have to say that those guys made the right decision to transfer assuming they wanted PT over having a small role on a contender. Last year after HB spurned Duke and it appeared that Kyle would declare it seemed like we desperately needed a pair of proto-typical high energy wing players, like Carrick and Olek, but now I can't imagine how either of them could get much PT on this team. I'm sorry I won't get to see them play at Duke and become senior leaders next year but I have to say I'm not unhappy about the choice they made.

I don't know if Carrick is actually considered a transfer since he never attended classes or practiced but call it a change of heart. Best of luck to those guys.

DukieInBrasil
11-16-2010, 10:00 AM
there was commentary going on earlier about Olek's eligibility at Reno, and whether he would start playing after this semester or if he would sit out until next year. I'm assuming that he will play next semester but does anyone have solid info on this?

Bluedog
11-16-2010, 10:13 AM
there was commentary going on earlier about Olek's eligibility at Reno, and whether he would start playing after this semester or if he would sit out until next year. I'm assuming that he will play next semester but does anyone have solid info on this?

He's expected to start playing after this semester (mid December):

Another newcomer, junior transfer Olek Czyz, is expected to join the team in the middle of December when he becomes eligible. ...

“We might not get our regular rotation until the middle of December,” Carter said. “It might not be until January. There is going to be competition at every position.”

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20101110/SPORTS/101109524/1016&parentprofile=1059

Bluedog
11-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Carrick has played a fair amount tonight and has looked ok (game is on versus if you're curious). He has four points and 3 fouls as his Az St team is down by 10 at New Mexico with 7 minutes to go. He just missed a wide open three. Also had a nice drive to the hoop and missed a layup. Seems to be trying to assert himself with his athleticism. Apparently, he's also the team barber. In any event, i definitely think Az St is a better situation for him. I can't see him getting much PT in our lineup.

On another note, Trent Lockett looks really good. He just put down a monster dunk over a guy MUCH bigger than him. That should make the highlight reel!

johnb
11-17-2010, 12:08 AM
I have to say that those guys made the right decision to transfer assuming they wanted PT over having a small role on a contender. Last year after HB spurned Duke and it appeared that Kyle would declare it seemed like we desperately needed a pair of proto-typical high energy wing players, like Carrick and Olek, but now I can't imagine how either of them could get much PT on this team. I'm sorry I won't get to see them play at Duke and become senior leaders next year but I have to say I'm not unhappy about the choice they made.

I don't know if Carrick is actually considered a transfer since he never attended classes or practiced but call it a change of heart. Best of luck to those guys.

Good points. I wonder if our coaches encouraged their decisions or whether they could read the writing on the wall themselves.

dukeballer2294
11-17-2010, 12:30 AM
is carrick even considered a transfer? or is it just a decommitment?

Bluedog
11-17-2010, 12:42 AM
is carrick even considered a transfer? or is it just a decommitment?

Not a transfer. Never enrolled at Duke. He's a decommitment. If he was a transfer, he'd have to sit out a season per NCAA rules...

SupaDave
11-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Do we really need to start a thread about how great it is that some players are not here?

If anything I was hoping this thread would track those players interests - and there are a few threads for both of them concerning that.