PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Rookie of the Week

hedevil
11-16-2010, 03:28 AM
Congratulations to Kyrie for the co-rookie of the week award. He's off to a great start. Hopefully this is the first of many for the season.

JBDuke
11-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Here's a link to the official press release: http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111510aaa.html

JasonEvans
11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
We should keep a running tally of Barnes, Kyrie, and CJ Leslie wining this award as I bet they are going to dominate it.

Current results--

Kyrie Irving - 1
CJ Leslie - 1
Harrison Barnes - 0, zero, nil, nada, null set, nix, none, naught, zip, zilch, goose egg, naid (Irish), noll (Swedish), zeru (Sardinian and Corsican), cero (Spanish), meden (Greek), zro (Armenian), nulis (Lithuanian), nulle (Latvian), nula (Czech), sunya (Sanscrit), ling (Cantonese), sefr (Persian), sifuri (Swahili), iqanda (Zulu)

---Jason "didn't you always want to know how to call someone a zero in Zulu?" Evans

94duke
11-16-2010, 01:46 PM
We should keep a running tally of Barnes, Kyrie, and CJ Leslie wining this award as I bet they are going to dominate it.

Current results--

Kyrie Irving - 1
CJ Leslie - 1
Harrison Barnes - 0, zero, nil, nada, null set, nix, none, naught, zip, zilch, goose egg, naid (Irish), noll (Swedish), zeru (Sardinian and Corsican), cero (Spanish), meden (Greek), zro (Armenian), nulis (Lithuanian), nulle (Latvian), nula (Czech), sunya (Sanscrit), ling (Cantonese), sefr (Persian), sifuri (Swahili), iqanda (Zulu)

---Jason "didn't you always want to know how to call someone a zero in Zulu?" Evans

Harrison Barnes - efes (Hebrew)
;)

oldnavy
11-16-2010, 02:36 PM
HB- "erozay" - Pig Latin

PADukeMom
11-16-2010, 03:03 PM
I thought we were never allowed to mention Barnes by name on here:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Congrats Kyrie!

Bob Green
11-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Harrison Barnes - Rei (Japanese).

cbnaylor
11-16-2010, 03:23 PM
You guys will like this.

This morning, I emailed a buddy of mine who happens to be a big Carolina fan who laid it on me when cough cough Barnes decided to go to Carolina. So this morning I sent him an email with the Irving linked. Address in the message title was Irving 1 Barnes 0.

Indoor66
11-16-2010, 04:19 PM
You guys will like this.

This morning, I emailed a buddy of mine who happens to be a big Carolina fan who laid it on me when cough cough Barnes decided to go to Carolina. So this morning I sent him an email with the Irving linked. Address in the message title was Irving 1 Barnes 0.

I like that, but the elephant in the room is what did his reply say? :)

Slackerb
11-16-2010, 04:23 PM
That CJ Leslie kid did pretty well too:

17 points in the exhibition game (although likely not considered), and then 21 points, 6 boards, 6 assists and 7-10 from the floor in the opener.

BD80
11-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Current results--

Kyrie Irving - 1
CJ Leslie - 1

A very elegant proof that Jason Evans knows nothing ;)

bluepenguin
11-16-2010, 05:22 PM

Current results--

Kyrie Irving - 1
CJ Leslie - 1

Could you provide a pronunciation guide? :)

hedevil
11-20-2010, 02:51 AM
I didn't get to see the game vs Colgate, however, I did see the Miami(Ohio) game this week. Versus Miami O, Kyrie had a sub par game in terms of minutes, but was very effective while in the game. How was his stat line vs Colgate? What are his chances for back to back Rookie of the week honors?

Were there any other freshman this week who are more deserving? I know that HB shouldn't get the nod over Kyrie after Friday's performance.

4decadedukie
11-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Yes, I think we are being unfair to Barnes. Last night, for example, Barnes was zero for twelve (if I remember correctly) in UNC's loss to Minnesota; would't that clearly make him the biggest Rookie DISAPPOINTMENT of the Week?

Duvall
11-20-2010, 12:10 PM
I didn't get to see the game vs Colgate, however, I did see the Miami(Ohio) game this week. Versus Miami O, Kyrie had a sub par game in terms of minutes, but was very effective while in the game. How was his stat line vs Colgate? What are his chances for back to back Rookie of the week honors?

Were there any other freshman this week who are more deserving? I know that HB shouldn't get the nod over Kyrie after Friday's performance.

Let's see how the State kids do against Georgetown without Tracy Smith. One of them could earn a nod this weekend.

DukieInBrasil
11-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Yes, I think we are being unfair to Barnes. Last night, for example, Barnes was zero for twelve (if I remember correctly) in UNC's loss to Minnesota; would't that clearly make him the biggest Rookie DISAPPOINTMENT of the Week?
Absolutely correct.

Back to our sensational Fr., Kyrie ought to be winning the (at least) co-Rookie of the Week this week, too. 13ppg, 5.5apg, 4rpg etc., but his play has been so electrfying AND consistent that they don't completely convey how huge his effect is on the game.

juise
11-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Let's see how the State kids do against Georgetown without Tracy Smith. One of them could earn a nod this weekend.

So much for that. Not an impressive outing for the Pack. I like Kyrie's odds of at least sharing it.

Kathy S
11-22-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree with those who thought Kyrie had a good shot, but Travis McKie of Wake got the rookie of the week award. Here's the link.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112210aaa.html

juise
11-22-2010, 05:00 PM
I agree with those who thought Kyrie had a good shot, but Travis McKie of Wake got the rookie of the week award. Here's the link.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112210aaa.html

It appears to be deserved, based on those numbers. Congrats to Travis (who has apparently been nicknamed "Tony" by the ACC).

hedevil
11-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Congratulations to Travis.

And a new week begins......

JasonEvans
11-22-2010, 10:14 PM
So the current count is--

Irving, Leslie, McKie - 1
Barnes - the same as the number of FGs he hit against Minnesota

--Jason "what are the odds of Bullock or Marshall winning a ROW award before Prince Harry?" Evans

AlaskanAssassin
11-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Irving - 2

http://duke.scout.com/2/1026608.html

meloveduke
11-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Evans

I love the way you put it... lol

rsvman
11-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Irving - 2

http://duke.scout.com/2/1026608.html

Sweet.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2010, 05:18 PM

"Wide Right"

hedevil
11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Congratulations to Kyrie!

How many do those three guys at UNC combine for now?

What impresses me with Kyrie is that he is doing this on a team where he is not expected to carry the entire load. Granted, Kyrie has the advantage of having the ball in his hands, however, as far as expectations, those guys down the road were expected to make an immediate impact/difference. With all of the playmakers that Duke has, Kyrie has continued to stand out as a freshman. Impressive!

Kdogg
11-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Kind of surprised Kyle didn't get at least co-player of the week.

juise
11-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Kind of surprised Kyle didn't get at least co-player of the week.

I guess when a player scores 30 and the team scores in 50's (in a LOSS), it is more impressive than 30 points for a team that scores in the 90's (and WINS). Oh well.

Congrats, Kyrie!

hedevil
12-01-2010, 11:42 PM
One more game on Saturday vs Butler.

Looks like Kyrie is off to a good start for earning his third Rookie of the week award.

Watching Kyrie reminds me of all the things that I read about him as a highschool player. He can take over a game when he needs/wants to.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2010, 12:02 AM
+ 1. Holy smokes, that kid has game!

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2010, 12:04 AM
If Kyrie doesn't get it again it's only because someone posted a pity vote.

Bluedevil114
12-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Kyrie to win another ACC Player of the Week. This kid is a serious baller and is a better shooting more in control John Wall. Go Duke!!

FireOgilvie
12-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Kyrie to win another ACC Player of the Week. This kid is a serious baller and is a better shooting more in control John Wall. Go Duke!!

Wall's career high was only 25 points.

JasonEvans
12-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Folks, the best Kyrie can do is tie for it. JT Terrell is winning ROW (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=201011300628)this week -- mark it down.

-Jason "Kyrie will have many more chances to get this award" Evans

striker219
12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Folks, the best Kyrie can do is tie for it. JT Terrell is winning ROW (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=201011300628)this week -- mark it down.

-Jason "Kyrie will have many more chances to get this award" Evans

KI
In 36 minutes played against KenPom #11 Michigan State...
31 points, 8-12 from the field, 2-3 from 3, 13-16 free throws, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers

JT Terrell
In 36 minutes played against KenPom #84 Iowa
32 points, 9-16 from the field, 7-11 from 3, 7-8 free throws, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 6 turnovers

I don't know, I'm admittedly biased, and JTT played a heck of a game, but I know which stat line I think is more impressive. Let's see what KI can do against Butler and what JTT can do against Holy Cross on Saturday.

sagegrouse
12-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't know whether it is idolatry, heresy, or blasphemy, but it is really easy to run afoul of the ecclesiastical types with a player named Kyrie.

sagegrouse
'Ancient Greek for "Lord"'

JasonEvans
12-02-2010, 11:01 AM
KI
In 36 minutes played against KenPom #11 Michigan State...
31 points, 8-12 from the field, 2-3 from 3, 13-16 free throws, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers

JT Terrell
In 36 minutes played against KenPom #84 Iowa
32 points, 9-16 from the field, 7-11 from 3, 7-8 free throws, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 6 turnovers

I don't know, I'm admittedly biased, and JTT played a heck of a game, but I know which stat line I think is more impressive. Let's see what KI can do against Butler and what JTT can do against Holy Cross on Saturday.

You left out the fact that JT hit the game-winning 3-pointer from deep with time running out in the game. Flair for the drama probably helps his cause quite a bit.

It also matters that Kyrie has already won the award twice in the first 3 weeks of the season. There will be a push to "spread the wealth" around a bit and give it to someone else, I think.

Now, it is possible that Kyrie will go for 30+ again and JT will have a dud against Holy Cross, but barring something like that I think JT likely wins. Kyrie is likely to be a strong candidate to win the award every week. I think that means that if it is close (and, so far this week, it is close) then he is going to get edged out by the other guy (this week, JT).

--Jason "here is a thought, Kyrie wins Player of the Week, but loses Rookie of the Week - ha!" Evans

94duke
12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
You left out the fact that JT hit the game-winning 3-pointer from deep with time running out in the game. Flair for the drama probably helps his cause quite a bit.

It also matters that Kyrie has already won the award twice in the first 3 weeks of the season. There will be a push to "spread the wealth" around a bit and give it to someone else, I think.

Now, it is possible that Kyrie will go for 30+ again and JT will have a dud against Holy Cross, but barring something like that I think JT likely wins. Kyrie is likely to be a strong candidate to win the award every week. I think that means that if it is close (and, so far this week, it is close) then he is going to get edged out by the other guy (this week, JT).

--Jason "here is a thought, Kyrie wins Player of the Week, but loses Rookie of the Week - ha!" Evans

Only ACC games are considered, correct?

SuperTurkey
12-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Only ACC games are considered, correct?

I don't understand. There haven't been any ACC vs. ACC games yet this season.

juise
12-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Dang. Well, I guess Kyrie has to give those ROW awards back.
Somebody should tell the ACC to be more careful next time. :p

hurleyfor3
12-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't know whether it is idolatry, heresy, or blasphemy, but it is really easy to run afoul of the ecclesiastical types with a player named Kyrie.

The Crazies really need to start a Gregorian chant cheer for Kyrie. How cool would that be. Would beat singing that Mr. Mister song.

94duke
12-02-2010, 02:57 PM

WHOOPS!! My Bad!
I guess I was a little tired from being up late watching the game. I didn't get home until 12:30 or so. :p

I was just thinking back to ACC POY awards. In the past, they have tended to focus on ACC-only play. I forgot we haven't had any in-conference games yet.

striker219
12-06-2010, 04:40 PM
We keeping track of this here?

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/120610aaa.html

Nrrrrvous
12-06-2010, 05:28 PM
We keeping track of this here?

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/120610aaa.html

3 out of 4 now??

JasonEvans
12-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Through 4 weeks of the season...

Irving - 3
Leslie, McKie - 1
Preseason All-Americans - zip, zilch, goose egg, nada... you know the drill.

By the way, my previous statement that there was no way Jt Terrell would not at least share the award after going for 32 including the game winning 3 against Iowa... well, he followed it up with a 6 point effort on 3-for 9 shooting to kill his chances. Still, I am a bit surprised as he averaged almost 20 ppg on the week ;)

--Jason "they may have to rename this thing the Kyrie Irving ACXC Rookie of the Week Award" Evans

Chitowndevil
12-06-2010, 05:51 PM
After scoring 52 points in 2 games on 22 FG attempts, shooting over 60% from the field and 50% from 3, against the #6 team in the country (who also happen to have a senior AA-caliber PG) and the defending national runners-up, can someone please explain to me how KI is not ACC *player* of the week?

Newton_14
12-06-2010, 09:18 PM
After scoring 52 points in 2 games on 22 FG attempts, shooting over 60% from the field and 50% from 3, against the #6 team in the country (who also happen to have a senior AA-caliber PG) and the defending national runners-up, can someone please explain to me how KI is not ACC *player* of the week?

Fair point, but it could be that the ACC simply will not give both awards to the same player. One could easily argue that Kyrie should have won the ACC Player of The Week award in addition to the ACC Rookie Of The Week he did win..

hedevil
12-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Congratulations Kyrie!

Keep up the good work!

Duke: A Dynasty
12-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Fair point, but it could be that the ACC simply will not give both awards to the same player. One could easily argue that Kyrie should have won the ACC Player of The Week award in addition to the ACC Rookie Of The Week he did win..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5891484

Andy Katz thinks Kyrie is POTW.

ps. it is the second thing he mentions in the video I believe

Duke: A Dynasty
12-14-2010, 08:15 PM
http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/18798/harrow-making-his-mark-at-state/

Ryan Harrow ACC rookie of the week

Reggie Jackson ACC player of the week

JasonEvans
01-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Since Ryan Harrow won it the week Kyrie went down, we have seen the following ROW winners--

KT Harrell - Virginia
CJ Leslie - NC State
Travis McKie - Wake

This brings the current "standings" to--

Irving - 3
Leslie, McKie - 2
Harrell, Harrow - 1

I feel like it is a good list. I mean, all the touted, prominent freshmen in the conference are represented nicely on this list. We'd heard about how good most of these guys were supposed to be in the preseason and it is nice to see these preseason studs living up to the hype.

--Jason "still, I feel like I am overlooking someone..." Evans

Class of '94
01-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Since Ryan Harrow won it the week Kyrie went down, we have seen the following ROW winners--

KT Harrell - Virginia
CJ Leslie - NC State
Travis McKie - Wake

Irving - 3
Leslie, McKie - 2
Harrell, Harrow - 1

I feel like it is a good list. I mean, all the touted, prominent freshmen in the conference are represented nicely on this list. We'd heard about how good most of these guys were supposed to be in the preseason and it is nice to see these preseason studs living up to the hype.

But it's a shame that Kyrie's injury will probably keep him from winning ACC rookie of year as well as any National freshman of the year awards. I think he would've easily won ACC rookie of the year. But hopefully he will have the opportunity to compete for ACC and NCAA tournament championships this year.

Jderf
01-04-2011, 12:52 PM

KT Harrell - Virginia
CJ Leslie - NC State
Travis McKie - Wake

Irving - 3
Leslie, McKie - 2
Harrell, Harrow - 1

... with one glaring (and especially satisfying) omission.

Slackerb
01-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Freshman of the year now that Kyrie is out?

MCFinARL
01-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Not sure about the ACC but for the national award, surely Jared Sullinger has to be near the top of the list.

Duvall
01-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Should probably still vote for Irving; the other ACC pickings are kind of slim (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010511aaa.html). Harrell, maybe?

Sullinger is probably the NPOY at this point, so that's a much easier choice.

Duvall
01-24-2011, 03:28 PM

KT Harrell - Virginia
CJ Leslie - NC State
Travis McKie - Wake

Irving - 3
Leslie, McKie - 2
Harrell, Harrow - 1

Finally - UNC freshman forward wins ACC Rookie of the Week (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012411aaa.html).

Newton_14
01-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Finally - UNC freshman forward wins ACC Rookie of the Week (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012411aaa.html).

Good one Duvall! Pitchfork points for you!

It has become clear to me that Bullock is the best freshman on that team. I would be starting him over the other less impressive freshman, but what do I know? Ol Roy has thought of everything I have ever thought of and everything I have never thought of and I need to keep my "darn" opinions on his team to myself!

No offense to Marshall, who is a good player in his own right. I just think Bullock has the most tools and if he had not had the issue with the knee, and the coach gave him more burn, he would be putting out more efforts like the one against Clemson.

ACC Rookie of The Year is still a wide open race...

Indoor66
01-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Sometimes I forget how good Kyrie is - and how good he made his teammates. Check this out. (http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.php?35665-A-Closer-Look-at-Kyrie-Irving)

bluedvl
01-25-2011, 10:16 AM
When is he coming back? He really does make the team better

PADukeMom
01-25-2011, 12:54 PM

Still no award for "the choosen one"?

Duvall
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Still no award for "the choosen one"?

Winners to date: Irving (3), Leslie (3), McKie (3), Harrow, Harrell, Bullock. Aside from maybe Kendall Marshall and Joe Harris, I think all of the deserving ACC freshman have been honored at least once by now.

yancem
01-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Winners to date: Irving (3), Leslie (3), McKie (3), Harrow, Harrell, Bullock. Aside from maybe Kendall Marshall and Joe Harris, I think all of the deserving ACC freshman have been honored at least once by now.

Wouldn't be interesting if Irving came back for the last week of the regular season and won the final ROW and neither Leslie or McKie won another. Could it be possible for Irving to win the ROY while missing about half the season? I doubt it would happen (he does have to come back first after all) but he has been the best rookie when he has had the chance to play.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-25-2011, 10:33 PM
When is he coming back? He really does make the team better
THAT is the answer we would all like to have! :cool:

I would also like to note that this is my 4,999th post on the current iteration of the DBR!