PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 75 USC 50

DU82
11-15-2010, 10:37 PM
A quick turnaround (for all, tomorrow'll be four straight nights of bball in Cameron) to play Southern Cal, picked fourth in the Pac-10 by the media. The final was Duke 75 USC 50, for Coach P’s 400th win as a college head coach.

The game started even, with USC picking up a couple of easy buckets inside, then Duke went out to a 22-7 lead, and it never was seriously challenged from there. USC did cut it to 6 at one point, but Duke responded to take a 40-22 lead at the half. The margin stayed around 15-20 for most of the second half.

Jasmine Thomas led Duke with 14 points. A couple of forced shots, but just as with the BYU game, driving led to free throws, but we need to hit more than 60% from the line, Jas being 3-6. Good tough one the ball D.

Krystal Thomas was the second leading scorer with 11, and had 9 rebounds. Looking at the stats, she had a good game. Looking at her play, she had a bad game. She lost her player D too often early, committed two dumb fouls, and was pulled from the game for the rest of the half. She started the second half, continued the poor play, and came out until the 8 minute mark. From there, she played much better, with a couple of nice catch/face/shoot plays, with the drive/dish from Chloe Wells. Krystal has to stay in the game mentally. Towards the end, four freshmen (other than Chloe) were playing along with Krystal, who was playing like one. Hopefully she'll get out of the mental funk and be more consistent.

Kathleen Scheer showed more of the hustle that got her into the starting lineup, with some good rebounds and one flying block late in the game. Her points came off of an aggressive drive and a three. That mixture of shooting, and good defense will add up to more minutes.

Allison Vernerey again came off the bench, and as soon as she did, the backdoor/open inside player for USC stopped, and that’s when we opened up the early lead. Fundamentally sound, as I mentioned after the BYU game. Offensively, she took what she could, didn’t force it (as Krystal did early) and passed out of the key when she didn’t have anything. It wouldn’t surprise me to see her start on Saturday.

Karima Christmas continued her strong play on both sides, although her shot didn’t drop when she drove in and was fouled. She came out of the game in the second half after appearing to bump her head on the floor after taking a charge. She did come back in, so hopefully it is nothing serious. Earlier, she set up a nice hard clean pick just inside mid-court on one of USC’s players, who went to the floor dazed and then came out of the game. I have to presume that something went on during play that made them set up that play against that player. Nate may be our “tough guy” (sensor won’t allow the appropriate cheer) but Karima’s not far behind on that measure.

Chloe Wells was more settled than on Saturday, and had a couple of nice assists to Krystal late. Forced a few shots in the lane, but overall I like what I’m seeing from her. One drive in particular, she came around from the wing towards a hole, but USC filled it up much quicker than Chloe expected. That’s the difference between high school and college.

Haley Peters led the team with 13 rebounds, and picked her shots well (3-4). Like Allison, sound on both ends of the floor.

Richa Jackson is much like Karima. Aggressive, but still can hit a three. Like most freshmen (I could say this for all five frosh) she needs to learn that she doesn’t have to do everything.

We’re seeing more of why Chelsea Gray was the top rated recruit, although she’s still coming back from her injury. Only 12 minutes of play tonight.

Tricia Liston was the last player off the bench, with only 7 minutes total. She came in when Karima was hurt, made a bad play on offense, then hustled down court to commit the foul on the other end. She came out then, but played about the last five minutes. A couple of good hustle plays, and a great looking three. She probably won’t play too much this year, but hopefully will see what good practices have done for Kathleen, and she’ll get her chance.

Next game is Thursday against Auburn, who were up on FSU at the half, but faded to lose by seven.

throatybeard
11-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Thank you for the report.

We need more substantive posts from R/DU area locals on WBB. Especially for the benefit of us out here in the elsewheres.

DukeFencer
11-16-2010, 12:46 AM
This was in the WRAL article on the game. Is this common in the women's game? I've never heard/seen it before:

"Competing in front a crowd that featured a handful of players from rival North Carolina"

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_basketball/story/8630042/

CameronBornAndBred
11-16-2010, 09:07 AM
I watched them online last night, I was very impressed with the freshmen. I was also frustrated once again by our inability to shoot a layup. Sigh...we have the worst shooting when we get anywhere within 3 feet of the basket. There was also a long drought in the second where USC made a nice scoring run due to our breakdowns on defense combined with turnovers and some bad shooting. But, that's just a bit of nitpicking, it's still early in the year and they've got plenty of time to get together better as a team. I loved some of our outside shooting, as well as the play of Alison Vernerey. She played great D and made some nice shots.

JohnGalt
11-16-2010, 09:11 AM
USC = University of South Carolina (and SEC East Champs I might add)
Southern Cal/SC/et al = University of Southern California

DU82
11-16-2010, 09:19 AM

I just KNEW somebody would say that! :-)

JohnGalt
11-16-2010, 09:22 AM
I just KNEW somebody would say that! :-)

Great rundown nonetheless, DU82.

You're right though. I couldn't resist.

:D

burnspbesq
11-16-2010, 06:31 PM

So wrong on so many levels ...