PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Colgate on ESPN3

HateCarolina
11-15-2010, 12:15 PM
I know we still have Miami of Ohio to play tomorrow night, but in anticipation of my dad visiting this weekend (Class of 69) I am trying to get prepared. Has anyone watched a game on ESPN3 before. I have the HDMI cords to hook my computer up to my TV, but I am scared that the action will be "herky jerky". I am hoping someone else has had some experience with this in the past.

I'm sure all of you lucky fans in NC will get to watch this through a local station, but I'm afraid down here in Atlanta that we will be forced to watch online. On a side note does anyone know where all of the Duke fans gather down here in Atlanta.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice/recommendations on both questions.

Go Blue Devils!!

COYS
11-15-2010, 12:18 PM
I know we still have Miami of Ohio to play tomorrow night, but in anticipation of my dad visiting this weekend (Class of 69) I am trying to get prepared. Has anyone watched a game on ESPN3 before. I have the HDMI cords to hook my computer up to my TV, but I am scared that the action will be "herky jerky". I am hoping someone else has had some experience with this in the past.

I'm sure all of you lucky fans in NC will get to watch this through a local station, but I'm afraid down here in Atlanta that we will be forced to watch online. On a side note does anyone know where all of the Duke fans gather down here in Atlanta.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice/recommendations on both questions.

Go Blue Devils!!

Generally, ESPN3 has been very smooth for me. However, yesterday's game was a bit of a disaster as every few minutes the screen would cut to the station liner with the message "Your event is about to begin." I actually watched the replay of the game this morning because of how herky-jerky the live feed was. I'm hoping this was a one time glitch as I've had lots of luck watching the FIBA games, european soccer matches, and NBA games live over the past few years.

Bob Green
11-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Has anyone watched a game on ESPN3 before.

I've watched almost every Duke football game this year on ESPN3. The video quality is dependent upon your Internet connection. If your connection is good, the video will be good and vice versa.

billy
11-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I've watched the last two football games on ESPN3 and been pleasantly surprised. The video quality is pretty good even in full-screen mode on a big screen hooked up to my Mac Mini via HDMI. Can be a little herky-jerky but sure beats the alternative of not being able to watch it at all. My download is usually around 11 Mbps (business account)

SCMatt33
11-15-2010, 12:36 PM

I have done pretty well doing the exact same thing with football games before and have been pretty successful. ESPN3 generally has few issues with the one caveat that you need a good internet connection. Small changes in the speed have had big effects on the video quality. ESPN3 has games all the time, so I would suggest trying it with some games that you don't care about to work out all of the kinks with hooking your computer up and getting your tv setting how you want them. That way, you don't lose most of the first half just getting it to work right.

gus
11-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I wish I could access ESPN3. My cable provider doesn't play nice.

DukeFencer
11-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I agree that it is dependent on your internet connection. However yesterday's game was particularly problematic for me - I also had frequent meetings with the "stay tuned" screen (while sound was still playing in the background.) I had a VERY strong connection to the internet at the time. I watched the USC-FLorida game the day before and had no problems.

pacificrounder
11-15-2010, 01:10 PM

My sister worked around this by getting the username/login of someone on a ESPN3-friendly ISP and plugging it in. She said it worked like a charm, just FYI.

nocilla
11-15-2010, 02:00 PM
My sister worked around this by getting the username/login of someone on a ESPN3-friendly ISP and plugging it in. She said it worked like a charm, just FYI.

Anyone willing to send a username and password to me would be greatly appreciated. Although I guess it would have to be someone not worried about security issues. FWIW, I promise not to email the POTUS from your account...

pacificrounder
11-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Anyone willing to send a username and password to me would be greatly appreciated. Although I guess it would have to be someone not worried about security issues. FWIW, I promise not to email the POTUS from your account...

It might be hard to find a taker on the BB since those usernames/passwords are often linked to e-mail accounts and/or account management capabilities. Remember that you can ask family and friends offline too, they don't have to be a Duke BB fan to qualify. :cool:

SuperTurkey
11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
It might be hard to find a taker on the BB since those usernames/passwords are often linked to e-mail accounts and/or account management capabilities. Remember that you can ask family and friends offline too, they don't have to be a Duke BB fan to qualify. :cool:

Not to mention the fact that ESPN may limit the number of users that can be viewing ESPN3 from an account concurrently. So if you have shared your credentials with a couple of others, you may not be able to get in yourself.

dukeblue1206
11-15-2010, 02:13 PM
I watched this past weekends Duke football game through my XBOX Live with the ESPN3HD and it was great. Only had to buffer one time for the whole game and the picture quality was much better then when I use to watch it on my computer. Makes my XBOX Live membership a little more worth it!

UrinalCake
11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
I also watched some of the game on ESPN3 and had some jumpiness. Unfortunately, live streaming video is still someone hit or miss. Raycom used to provide an excellent feed for games that they covered, but unfortunately they only have a couple of games this season.

Does anyone have a schedule of which of our games will be aired on ESPN3? I can't find this listed anywhere.

Bluedog
11-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I also watched some of the game on ESPN3 and had some jumpiness. Unfortunately, live streaming video is still someone hit or miss. Raycom used to provide an excellent feed for games that they covered, but unfortunately they only have a couple of games this season.

Does anyone have a schedule of which of our games will be aired on ESPN3? I can't find this listed anywhere.

Colgate is the only game all year airing solely on ESPN3.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726

tele
11-15-2010, 02:59 PM

AFAIK, the upcoming games for the next week are listed on the ESPN3 site. Beyond that, going on past patterns, games shown on espn, espn2, and espnu are also shown on espn3, with some additional exclusive to espn3 games thrown in. I'm hoping that will continue to be the case, it certainly is a nice feature.

Greg_Newton
11-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Living in SEC country, I've watched my fair share of Duke football (and occasionally basketball) games on ESPN3, and aside from an every-few-minute 3-4 second freeze, it's been a pretty smooth experience.

However, last night was basically unwatchable for most of the game. Every few seconds, the action would freeze for a pretty long time, start back up again for several seconds, then skip forward 20 seconds or so. I hope this isn't a recurring trend, because it was just awful at my house (which has pretty fast internet).

JonnyWonder
11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Generally, ESPN3 has been very smooth for me. However, yesterday's game was a bit of a disaster as every few minutes the screen would cut to the station liner with the message "Your event is about to begin." I actually watched the replay of the game this morning because of how herky-jerky the live feed was. I'm hoping this was a one time glitch as I've had lots of luck watching the FIBA games, european soccer matches, and NBA games live over the past few years.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have a good internet connection and never have trouble streaming other media in HD, but I had exactly the same problem that you did during the Princeton game - freezing up, "Your event is about to begin" messages popping up. I hope it's just a function of this being either a one-off problem, early in the season, or not broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2 (and hence maybe a lower level of production quality?).

This is my first year of watching Duke without cable, so I'm going to be heavily leaning on ESPN3 and over-the-air CBS, supplementing with trips to a sports bar for the few games that are on FSN.

DukeFanSince1990
11-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have a good internet connection and never have trouble streaming other media in HD, but I had exactly the same problem that you did during the Princeton game - freezing up, "Your event is about to begin" messages popping up. I hope it's just a function of this being either a one-off problem, early in the season, or not broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2 (and hence maybe a lower level of production quality?).

This is my first year of watching Duke without cable, so I'm going to be heavily leaning on ESPN3 and over-the-air CBS, supplementing with trips to a sports bar for the few games that are on FSN.

I experienced the same thing with espn3, I was wondering if it was my PC or not. Now I know. Never had that problem in past.....

Greg_Newton
11-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Big question - anyone know whether the Miami (OH) game Tuesday will be on ESPN3?

I would have assumed so, but the tipoff schedule for the day only lists it as on ESPNU (while some other games are listed as "ESPN2/ESPN3.com", for example). To quote the great Kenny Powers, that ain't ballin.

CEF1959
11-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Big question - anyone know whether the Miami (OH) game Tuesday will be on ESPN3?

I would have assumed so, but the tipoff schedule for the day only lists it as on ESPNU (while some other games are listed as "ESPN2/ESPN3.com", for example). To quote the great Kenny Powers, that ain't ballin.

It's listed here: http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/basketball

Looks like regional coverage; not sure what that means on ESPN3.

AlaskanAssassin
11-15-2010, 05:38 PM

It will be.

http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

gep
11-15-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm on Time Warner Cable, and watched yesterday's Duke/Princeton game on ESPN3 with no noticeable problems. Any kind of video "freeze" or "glitch" seemed to be for very few seconds at most, and hardly occurred during the entire game. And, the video quality looked almost as good as HD to me...

Greg_Newton
11-15-2010, 05:48 PM
It's listed here: http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/basketball

Looks like regional coverage; not sure what that means on ESPN3.

Phew, thanks all. I believe the "regional round" is just a reference to the game being a so-called regional round of the CBE classic.

Jim3k
11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
in October about the problems with ESPN3. Here's the link: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22676-Would-you-pay-for-espn3.com-access&highlight=espn

After someone suggested that my download rate could stand improvement, I upgraded it. It did improve matters some, but ESPN3 is clearly better-viewed after the game is over, rather than by streaming it live. When it comes in as a fixed file, the program plays fairly well. On streaming, even with the faster download, the herky-jerk freezing still occurs.

A work in progress, I guess. But pay extra for it? No way.

Kimist
11-16-2010, 12:42 AM

I've watched several events, including Duke football, on ESPN3.com (via computer) with no problems other than for whatever reasons a fairly long delay at first to get everything going. After that, the picture quality has been excellent without any "breaks."

So far as I know, TWC allows viewing of ESPN3 on one of their digital packages, which I do not have.

My viewing is via moderate speed DSL (average download in the range of 1.5 Mbps) provided by AT&T/BellSouth.

k

devil84
11-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Viewing ESPN3 has a lot of variables that determine how well it works. Obviously, the download speed has a lot to do with it. Remember that the download speed is heavily variable depending on the traffic on the individual cable to your home. If most of your neighbors are streaming video or making heavy download demands, everyone's speed slows down, while the people a couple blocks away on a different part of the network might have no trouble. (I'm sure there are network geeks that can explain this more accurately than I have, but the idea is that what others are doing affects your speed, too.)

Don't wait until the game is about to tip off to try ESPN3 for the first time! Check it not once, but several times over a couple of days to see how choppy it is. You might have first tried it when all the teenagers on the street were sharing links of the latest viral videos, so it's much better the next time you try (or vice versa). You don't want to be surprised at tip-off! Based on your findings, you'll know if you may need a backup plan to occupy yourself and not find out the score until you can watch the archive just after the game ends.

I found that watching the Duke-UVA football game was quite nice. We fumbled and weren't able to hook it up to the TV quickly enough, but it was good on a laptop screen. Couple of hiccups here and there, but very watchable.

langdonfan
11-18-2010, 11:06 PM
What is ESPN getting out of broadcasting a Duke basketball game solely on a website/tv channel which has limited availability? It's my understanding that this is only available as an online service or as a tv channel through TWC. Those of us in rural areas not serviced by TWC don't have access to this channel. Many rural areas still don't have high-speed internet through any means besides expensive satellites. ESPN has the rights to a game involving one of college basketball's elite programs and basically has decided not to televise it...yet I'm watching Alabama's football team mop the floor with Georgia State in primetime on a Thursday night? What gives?

Furthermore, I am confused...what is their ultimate goal for this ESPN3? Is ESPN hoping that it becomes a widely available tv channel or a successful subscriber based website?

-jk
11-18-2010, 11:08 PM
As I understand it, cable companies pay to have ESPN3 available to their subscribers.

-jk

msdukie
11-18-2010, 11:48 PM
What is ESPN getting out of broadcasting a Duke basketball game solely on a website/tv channel which has limited availability? It's my understanding that this is only available as an online service or as a tv channel through TWC. Those of us in rural areas not serviced by TWC don't have access to this channel. Many rural areas still don't have high-speed internet through any means besides expensive satellites. ESPN has the rights to a game involving one of college basketball's elite programs and basically has decided not to televise it...yet I'm watching Alabama's football team mop the floor with Georgia State in primetime on a Thursday night? What gives?

Furthermore, I am confused...what is their ultimate goal for this ESPN3? Is ESPN hoping that it becomes a widely available tv channel or a successful subscriber based website?

Raycom, not ESPN, has the rights to this game and every single ACC basketball game until the end of this season. If there were no ESPN3, this game would likely only be on GoDuke.com Inside Access. ESPN3 is far superior to that and ESPN3 is available to most major cable/Internet providers now.

tbyers11
11-18-2010, 11:51 PM

ESPN3 is only an online service and is not and won't be a TV channel. It has nothing to do with Time Warner except, as -jk mentioned, that Time Warner and other internet providers pay ESPN to have the service available. ESPN only has the capability to show 3 (maybe 4 with ESPN Classic) games at a time on TV their family of networks. Making games available on the internet allows many more people to see the game than none at all. Tomorrow night at 8:30 they have an NBA game on ESPN, final of the Coaches vs Cancer on ESPN2 (Pitt vs Tex/ILL) and the semi of Puerto Rico classic (UNC v Minn) on ESPNU. Except for the Duke and Colgate fans all of those other games have a broader national appeal. Having the Duke/Colgate game on ESPN3 is basically a bonus game for most of us Duke fans

ESPN doesn't have very many games on ESPN3 only (this is Duke's sole ESPN3 only game this season). Here is the list (http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2010/11/college-hoops-exclusively-on-espn3-com/). Normally, they will have them on one of their TV channels and simulcast over the web on ESPN3 for the growing number of people who don't have cable but have internet. It is unfortunate that high-speed web is not available in lots of rural areas but as television and internet continue to move towards becoming one entity I think this type of service is going to become more common

stillcrazie
11-19-2010, 05:06 AM
If I have my computer with me on the road and am registered with espn3 at home, will I have access to the game???

meloveduke
11-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Get guys I have a question to all the espn3 users. I have to work while the game will be on. Do they let you replay all the games that they show? I would like to come home after work and watch the game at about 11PM. Will I be able to do this?

Lord Ash
11-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Another question; is the game on GoDuke? I have cablevision, so no ESPN3...

If it is not on GoDuke I guess I can try to find it elsewhere:(

stillcrazie
11-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Get guys I have a question to all the espn3 users. I have to work while the game will be on. Do they let you replay all the games that they show? I would like to come home after work and watch the game at about 11PM. Will I be able to do this?

You should be able to do it. Go to espn3 right now and you should be able to watch the Miami (OH) game.

Indoor66
11-19-2010, 07:31 AM

ESPN3 is also available on Comcast cable. I believe that Comcast is the largest cable provider.

airowe
11-19-2010, 07:45 AM
If I have my computer with me on the road and am registered with espn3 at home, will I have access to the game???

Depends on your provider. Some you can, some you can't. Contact them.

Stray Gator
11-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Raycom, not ESPN, has the rights to this game and every single ACC basketball game until the end of this season. If there were no ESPN3, this game would likely only be on GoDuke.com Inside Access. ESPN3 is far superior to that and ESPN3 is available to most major cable/Internet providers now.

Unfortunately for me, Bright House Tampa Bay still has not made ESPN3 available to subscribers here--they've been promising access since September, and every time I've called they move the anticipated connect date back another week or two. So I'll be limited to listening to the Bob Harris radio broadcast online through Duke Inside Access.

ThePublisher
11-19-2010, 09:48 AM
I have Time Warner (which I dislike as much as UNCH, if not more) and they finally have provided us access to ESPN3. Since they couldn't hook up the cable correctly in my office (apparently cable internet and cable tv in the same room is just too complicated) I have been constantly streaming ESPN3 to the tv via HDMI cable. There are occasional drops in quality, but over all I am very impressed. I absolutely love that it doesn't play commercials and just goes quiet. That is amazing.

Now if I could just pay ESPN direct for 3 and the other stations, only order a few more channels online, and get the local stations I could drop Time Warner all together. Oh glorious day.

nocilla
11-19-2010, 11:55 AM

I think you have to click the 'remote access' tab from your home network. You may be able to do it from where you are now or you may have to have someone at home do it for you.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-19-2010, 12:19 PM
I think you have to click the 'remote access' tab from your home network. You may be able to do it from where you are now or you may have to have someone at home do it for you.

Correct, you will be asked to log in with your ISP via the ESPN3 site. That's always been the deal on Verizon HSI or FiOS. I can access ESPN3 from work, Starbucks, wherever...

from the site... "Attention Time Warner Cable Customers
In order to watch ESPN3.com, you must receive ESPN as part of your television service. Please select Time Warner Cable from the list below and you'll be taken to Time Warner Cable’s web site to verify your account. The ESPN3.com video player will open automatically when you're done."

juelsr
11-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Go Blue Devils!!

I catch up with the Duke in Atlanta group ever so often, and the basketball watching party for the tournament last year was at Stats downtown (I believe one of the owners is an alum). Great setup to watch games. The Duke in Atlanta group does have a facebook page to keep up with things.

Go Duke!

jpfrizzle
11-19-2010, 03:41 PM
If you have an Xbox360, you can download ESPN to your console.

(go to dashboard>video marketplace>espn)

detule
11-19-2010, 03:53 PM
...if any (sports) bars in Durham display ESPN3 content on their TVs?

I have a crappy internet connection, and I am trying to figure where to watch the game tonight. I would really rather not come into the office on a Friday night....

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Anyone know if this is going to show up on TWC in the Durham area on their special event TV station? A couple weeks ago, one of the Duke football games was scheduled to run on ESPN3 but they also ended up broadcasting it on TV channel 520.

J4Kop99
11-19-2010, 05:36 PM
If you have an Xbox360, you can download ESPN to your console.

(go to dashboard>video marketplace>espn)

Can you download it for free?

94duke
11-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Anyone know if this is going to show up on TWC in the Durham area on their special event TV station? A couple weeks ago, one of the Duke football games was scheduled to run on ESPN3 but they also ended up broadcasting it on TV channel 520.

just curious, did this happen?

what about today's football game?

Stray Gator
11-22-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm happy to report that ESPN3 is now accessible to Bright House subscribers in Tampa.

billy
11-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Can you download it for free?

It's free if you sign up for an about $50 XBOX Live Gold membership (excluding the cost of internet and xbox to start with ;) ). Must also have an "affiliated ESPN3 internet provider".

http://espn.go.com/espn3/xbox

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/espn

http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList - list of affiliated providers

tbyers11
11-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm happy to report that ESPN3 is now accessible to Bright House subscribers in Tampa.

I just came on here to report the same thing for Bright House customers in Orlando. Finally :o