PDA

View Full Version : Praise for the Crazies

cascadedevil
11-15-2010, 12:03 PM
I had the pleasure to be in a good seat in the Upper Deck last night. Just wanted to send a note to congratulate the students on a creative, vocal and energetic start to the season. When the Crazies are in top form, I get chills that remind me of my time in face paint. Last night was one of those occasions. The entire student body was great, but especially the group of students sitting directly across from the Duke bench and into that corner. I could not make out all of the taunts and cheers, but several that I did understand made me smile and cheer all that much lounder.

stillcrazie
11-15-2010, 12:54 PM
I had the pleasure to be in a good seat in the Upper Deck last night. Just wanted to send a note to congratulate the students on a creative, vocal and energetic start to the season. When the Crazies are in top form, I get chills that remind me of my time in face paint. Last night was one of those occasions. The entire student body was great, but especially the group of students sitting directly across from the Duke bench and into that corner. I could not make out all of the taunts and cheers, but several that I did understand made me smile and cheer all that much lounder.

Do you recall any of the specific chants? I miss that on TV.

91_92_01_10_15
11-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Nice job last night, Crazies. Class act all the way. One question: is there an effort to extinguish the "O" in the national anthem? It seemed so from my seat.

Cell-R
11-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Nice job last night, Crazies. Class act all the way. One question: is there an effort to extinguish the "O" in the national anthem? It seemed so from my seat.

Yes. We've received an email telling us that Coach K doesn't like the "O". Last night it was also mentioned on our cheer sheets.

dukebsbll14
11-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Yes. We've received an email telling us that Coach K doesn't like the "O". Last night it was also mentioned on our cheer sheets.

From both Cell-R and I, you're welcome :)

El_Diablo
11-15-2010, 01:50 PM
cheer sheets

Before anyone reignites this discussion or an outsider tries to use this post as incriminating evidence, let's be clear that they're not really "cheer sheets." :)

It was just a printout of the Princeton roster, along with the words to the Duke fight song and a couple notes (one of which reminded students not to use the "O"). It was not a list of pre-planned cheers.

dukebsbll14
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Before anyone reignites this discussion or an outsider tries to use this post as incriminating evidence, let's be clear that they're not really "cheer sheets." :)

It was just a printout of the Princeton roster, along with the words to the Duke fight song and a couple notes (one of which reminded students not to use the "O"). It was not a list of pre-planned cheers.

Well its kind of like a cheer sheet, but only included stuff we needed to know for the game. The cheers are pretty basic/easy to pick up. Opposing teams rosters/dirt is not (during the game of course).

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-15-2010, 02:27 PM
YES! Last night you guys were terrific! Especially good were the robust,sarcastically innocent and cheerful welcoming "HI"s to the Princeton players.....sans the "you s**k". Much funnier and more effective this way.

I'm a Cameron Upper Crustie who hasn't seen the Crazies rock like that this early in years and years. Congratulations.
Love, Ima

PS Sure wish I could hook up two tin cans and a string between my next-to-the-top row seat and some Crazie down there so we could make out more of the chants up there!

airowe
11-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Were the Crazies chanting T-Shirt Time at a Princeton player who was wearing a black tee under his jersey. If so, bravo.

jimsumner
11-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Krzyzewski said it was the best opening day for the Crazies since he's been at Duke.

Much fewer Os. But still too many. IMO.

dukebsbll14
11-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Were the Crazies chanting T-Shirt Time at a Princeton player who was wearing a black tee under his jersey. If so, bravo.

aha yes. I was a little bit to the left of the main section that was doing all of that, and even then some of the cheers were hard to make out. I still think we should cut the real music during pre-game to make it easier for the opposing players to hear us...much easier to tune us out when you're rocking to a hit hip-hop anthem in your head. Plus, encourages more heckling...I like that.

weezie
11-15-2010, 03:10 PM
"SAFE-TY SCHOOL" came in loud and clear on tv. :D

cascadedevil
11-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Glad to hear that many noticed how great the Crazies were last night. They were loud, they were engaged in the play, and they vigorously supported a fantastic team. Also, great to hear that we might get rid of the "O". IMO, it has never fit for what Duke basketball is about, as it is clearly un-original, and is arguably disrespectful to our National Anthem. Reverting back to "Hi _____" without the second part, also puts the Crazies back in the irreverant and witty space, instead of the boring use of foul language area. We have often been obnoxious, but should strive not to be boring.

Exiled_Devil
11-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Well its kind of like a cheer sheet, but only included stuff we needed to know for the game. The cheers are pretty basic/easy to pick up. Opposing teams rosters/dirt is not (during the game of course).

Nice. This is what I always remember cheer sheets being. That, plus how to say things in foreign languages for the international players.

Devilsfan
11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Nice to see that princeton has supplanted unc as Duke's safety school. We must have upgraded the enrollment criteria.

flyingdutchdevil
11-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Nice to see that princeton has supplanted unc as Duke's safety school. We must have upgraded the enrollment criteria.

I normally don't like those chants at all, but Sunday night was hilarious. You definitely could hear it on TV.

monkey
11-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Not to highjack the thread but people have been complaining about the O's for years. Personally, I always thought it was fun. Also, speaking only for myself, I never intended any disrespect for the national anthem.

I will say this once however - and I'm sure many of you will vociferously disagree - I don't like the idea that Coach K gets to control every last cheer that gets done in Cameron. He can express his input (freedom of speech and all that), which considering the source should be very valued, however I've never liked calling certain cheers off limits (I seem to recall a St John's player that K asked for special respect from the Crazies turning around and specifically dissing the Crazies after they won).

Are there limits to what people should be shouting? I think so (though my personal limits are probably rather different living in NY and going to games here than some other folks on here). But I'd rather have more cheers than less and I'd rather not have authority figures tell fans what they shouldn't be saying, absent, say, vulgarity. Fans should police themselves.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Coach K rarely says anything about what is cheered or yelled at the games. I do think it is appropriate for him to make requests once in a while.

I don't see it so much as a freedom of speech issue as is it a matter of his being something of a mentor for the students as well as the team.

MulletMan
11-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Not to highjack the thread but people have been complaining about the O's for years. Personally, I always thought it was fun. Also, speaking only for myself, I never intended any disrespect for the national anthem.

I will say this once however - and I'm sure many of you will vociferously disagree - I don't like the idea that Coach K gets to control every last cheer that gets done in Cameron. He can express his input (freedom of speech and all that), which considering the source should be very valued, however I've never liked calling certain cheers off limits (I seem to recall a St John's player that K asked for special respect from the Crazies turning around and specifically dissing the Crazies after they won).

Are there limits to what people should be shouting? I think so (though my personal limits are probably rather different living in NY and going to games here than some other folks on here). But I'd rather have more cheers than less and I'd rather not have authority figures tell fans what they shouldn't be saying, absent, say, vulgarity. Fans should police themselves.

Well, K has been expressing his opinions about what the Crazies say and do for at least the last 15 years, probably longer. It just so happens that you're now hearing more about it because of the interwebs.

Things K dislikes:
Cursing by the Crazies
GTHC
Speedo Guy
The O
You Suck
Generally focusing your energy on jeering the other team instead of supporting Duke

What else am I forgetting?

Bluedog
11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Things K dislikes:
[...]
GTHC

What?! :eek: Well, clearly (and thankfully) the students listen to him more on the "O" than GTCH. I hadn't heard Coach K specifically talk about that cheer. Although he's against vulgarity in general, but don't think Hell really qualifies. "Eat Sh*T" in the song certainly does, though...

SuperTurkey
11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
What?! :eek: Well, clearly (and thankfully) the students listen to him more on the "O" than GTCH. I hadn't heard Coach K specifically talk about that cheer. Although he's against vulgarity in general, but don't think Hell really qualifies. "Eat Sh*T" in the song certainly does, though...

I vividly remember K asking for a GTHC at a private pep rally before the home UNC game in 98 or 99. Unless his opinion has changed dramatically, he's privately a fan of GTHC.

rasputin
11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I vividly remember K asking for a GTHC at a private pep rally before the home UNC game in 98 or 99. Unless his opinion has changed dramatically, he's privately a fan of GTHC.

I was at the title game in Minneapolis in 2001. During the post-game celebration, a spontaneous 9F rang out, and K shushed it. (I understand that this is different from a private pep rally.)

alteran
11-16-2010, 01:16 PM
I was at the title game in Minneapolis in 2001. During the post-game celebration, a spontaneous 9F rang out, and K shushed it. (I understand that this is different from a private pep rally.)

Is it possible that he dislikes GTHC in non-UNC games?

Also, there's something about the phrases elsewhere in this thread, "Coach K dislikes profanity in general" which really makes me smile.

BlueDster
11-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Is it possible that he dislikes GTHC in non-UNC games?

This idea may have spawned from Coach K asking the students not to cheer GTHC at the UNC game directly after their student body president was murdered a few years ago, for understandable reasons. Other than that, I'm sure he realizes that GTHC is a tradition that has been around for quite a while, so even if he doesn't like it he wouldn't try to stop it.

CEF1959
11-16-2010, 01:30 PM
This idea may have spawned from Coach K asking the students not to cheer GTHC at the UNC game directly after their student body president was murdered a few years ago, for understandable reasons. Other than that, I'm sure he realizes that GTHC is a tradition that has been around for quite a while, so even if he doesn't like it he wouldn't try to stop it.

No, I think K is more of a "respect your opponent and do the best you can to stomp them on the field of play" sort of guy. I doubt he's down with the GTHC thing, at least publicly. But it was around long before K was, and it will be long after he's gone. I respect K, but I don't tell him how to coach, and he doesn't tell me how to root for my alma mater.

MulletMan
11-16-2010, 02:37 PM
"Eat Sh*T" in the song certainly does, though...

Well, maybe we could roll out the old words and cry "Beat State!"

You know... at least when we're playing NC State.

Mozyb
11-16-2010, 02:58 PM
The entire student body was great, but especially the group of students sitting directly across from the Duke bench and into that corner. I could not make out all of the taunts and cheers, but several that I did understand made me smile and cheer all that much lounder.

This particular group of students is a new group that calls themselves "the Goon Squad." They are made up of 9 fraternities on campus that organized together to take advantage of the Line Monitors big group rules. They'll be organizing for 7-8 games this year with the next one being Friday. They should be larger next time since Sunday was the first time.

monkey
11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
This particular group of students is a new group that calls themselves "the Goon Squad." They are made up of 9 fraternities on campus that organized together to take advantage of the Line Monitors big group rules. They'll be organizing for 7-8 games this year with the next one being Friday. They should be larger next time since Sunday was the first time.

Lol - maybe they should be sitting directly behind the opponent's bench ...:D

94duke
11-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Lol - maybe they should be sitting directly behind the opponent's bench ...:D

Bring back BOG!!!!

Those guys were fantastic!!

:)

jimsumner
11-16-2010, 03:53 PM

Can you explains why you like the O in the middle of the national anthem? What does it add? Can you explain what particular relevance the letter O has for Duke University Men's Basketball Team, not one word of which includes the letter O? Can you see how many could feel that the national anthem deserves a certain amount of reverence and that a graduate of the United States Military Academy might not appreciate turning the anthem into a look-at-me-display? I've never once heard the O without hearing it following by a barrage of aren't we-cute giggling. Is the National Anthem supposed to be cute?

It's not like there aren't plenty of other opportunites for having fun. So, why not take off 90 seconds?

DevilHorns
11-16-2010, 04:01 PM
You guys do realize that UNC fans scream "Go to Hell Duke" at the end of their signature cheer right?

To hate like this is to be happy forever. The obsession of this rivalry adds substantially to our visceral emotion in support of our team. I love screaming Go to Hell Carolina when we blow out a cupcake, or a Maryland, or at a Final Four game. It makes my blood boil in a good way.

sivartrenrag
11-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Alright, what is the "O" everyone keeps talking about?

jimsumner
11-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Alright, what is the "O" everyone keeps talking about?

National anthem. At the words "Oh, say can you see," the Crazies make an O with their arms and yell "O."

This originated with the Baltimore Orioles, also known as the Os. Just as disrespectful, IMO, but makes some sense in that context. In a Duke context, it makes absolutely no sense. And it's not even close to being original. I've never had anyone give me a coherent explanation of why this is necessary or desirable for Duke.

burnspbesq
11-16-2010, 06:38 PM
On TV, the Viking helmets were an amazing thing to see. What a great tribute to a great friend of Duke basketball.

dukebluelemur
11-16-2010, 07:04 PM
(I seem to recall a St John's player that K asked for special respect from the Crazies turning around and specifically dissing the Crazies after they won).

That one still bugs me to this day... especially with the constant reminders with the non-conference home winning streak (because that loss was the last non-conference loss in Cameron.)

We showed far more restraint than we normally would only because K asked us to, then he taunts us afterwards like a the little @#%$ he was.

K has had a couple of flops as far as requests to the Crazies. (that ridiculous silent fist thing when we lost to UNC at home on Shane's senior night was another.)

Generally though, I heartily approve of him telling the crazies when they are stepping over the line... its far to easy to slide towards Maryland's level of filth if were not careful.

sivartrenrag
11-16-2010, 07:14 PM
National anthem. At the words "Oh, say can you see," the Crazies make an O with their arms and yell "O."

This originated with the Baltimore Orioles, also known as the Os. Just as disrespectful, IMO, but makes some sense in that context. In a Duke context, it makes absolutely no sense. And it's not even close to being original. I've never had anyone give me a coherent explanation of why this is necessary or desirable for Duke.

Honestly, I thought it was that. That's why I was so confused... whether someone considers it disrespectful or not, I have no idea why the Crazies would do that. Like you said, it makes no sense.

And it's disrespectful.

uh_no
11-16-2010, 09:41 PM

Hate to correct you Jim, but its at "Oh, say does that star spangled banner yet wave,"

blazindw
11-16-2010, 11:32 PM
K has had a couple of flops as far as requests to the Crazies. (that ridiculous silent fist thing when we lost to UNC at home on Shane's senior night was another.)

Hate to correct you on that, but UNC that year was in February...it wasn't Shane's Senior Night. That was the Maryland game where Boozer broke his foot (we also lost). We played UNC away as the last regular season game, where we absolutely humiliated them.

I actually loved the fist thing. It was my freshman year and I remember after the game was over, a lot of us were crying but everyone had their fists in the air. It was a great moment...it was why I came to Duke. United in victory, united in defeat, all symbols of a fist. Believe me, I had two fists in the air in the closing seconds of our last game that season on April 2, 2001...I had tears too. But they were tears of joy and fists of exultation.

Bluedog
11-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Coach K again praised the crowd for their efforts tonight in the postgame comments. "Great crowd for a Tuesday". Let's keep it up! Nice job everybody!

uh_no
11-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Coach K again praised the crowd for their efforts tonight in the postgame comments. "Great crowd for a Tuesday". Let's keep it up! Nice job everybody!

i think the big groups thing was perhaps the best idea ever....well....since the registration fiasco at least :P

dukebluelemur
11-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Hate to correct you on that, but UNC that year was in February...it wasn't Shane's Senior Night. That was the Maryland game where Boozer broke his foot (we also lost). We played UNC away as the last regular season game, where we absolutely humiliated them.

I actually loved the fist thing. It was my freshman year and I remember after the game was over, a lot of us were crying but everyone had their fists in the air. It was a great moment...it was why I came to Duke. United in victory, united in defeat, all symbols of a fist. Believe me, I had two fists in the air in the closing seconds of our last game that season on April 2, 2001...I had tears too. But they were tears of joy and fists of exultation.

You're right, I had my UNC games switched. I was there on the floor too. It wasn't so much the fist bit that irked me but the silence part... asking the crazies to be quiet any time but duke FTs is not a good plan. You'll never get complete silence, and it just makes the other team think the crowds been taken out of the game.

airowe
11-17-2010, 12:50 AM
i think the big groups thing was perhaps the best idea ever....well....since the registration fiasco at least :P

What's the big groups thing?

Cell-R
11-17-2010, 01:13 AM

And considering it was Freshman night...

dukebsbll14
11-17-2010, 01:28 AM
And considering it was Freshman night...

There was also a line monitor trying to get everyone (especially in the front) to be loud and go crazy, and on our side to heckle Miami. I'd say we did a pretty good job. Julian couldn't look at us without laughing...or sweating like Gary Williams

Me: Hey Julian, are you gonna tweet during the game?
Julian: Yea!

monkey
11-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Can you explains why you like the O in the middle of the national anthem? What does it add? Can you explain what particular relevance the letter O has for Duke University Men's Basketball Team, not one word of which includes the letter O? Can you see how many could feel that the national anthem deserves a certain amount of reverence and that a graduate of the United States Military Academy might not appreciate turning the anthem into a look-at-me-display? I've never once heard the O without hearing it following by a barrage of aren't we-cute giggling. Is the National Anthem supposed to be cute?

It's not like there aren't plenty of other opportunites for having fun. So, why not take off 90 seconds?

Hmmm. Well, explaining to someone why you like or don't something that is arbitrary is a bit like explaining why you find something funny - either you do or you don't. I happen to like or at least not mind the tradition which has been going on at least 15 years - it personalizes the national anthem so to speak and personally don't find it insulting to the anthem or the country (as I would for someone deciding not to stand, not take their hat off, etc. which are also personal preferences, protected by freedom of speech). I would guess that based on the above you would disagree with me, which is ok too.

I had always assumed the "O" was a reference to the number of victories the opponent could expect while playing the Devils that evening, but it seems like others can offer more as to the history of the chant than I can based on looking at the boards.

I can certainly appreciate the point about reverence. I would disagree that the "O" symbolizes a "look-at-me" attitude, especially as the action is taken, generally, as a group and not, IMO, done in order to draw attention to the specific persons doing the chant, if it can be called that.

As for fun, while I certainly respect your view point, since I personally don't think there is anything wrong with people chanting one particular word of the national anthem (i.e., it's disrespectful), it's hard for me to say that they shouldn't do it. Note that I would also see a distinction between the anthem played at a sporting event and a more solemn occasion.

Lastly, with respect to K and his military background, I have no problem with him expressing his displeasure with the chant generally. What I do have a problem with is the more general notion of him controlling what the cheers are in Cameron (perhaps subject to particularly ugly behavior/vulgarity). I think Coach K himself occupies a position of authority in the minds of the 18-22 year old undergraduates. That position should not be taken lightly and such a figure telling students not to say certain things can be inappropriate. I do see it as a freedom of speech issue.

flyingdutchdevil
11-17-2010, 06:54 AM
While I've never liked the "O" because I really don't understand it's history or relevance to Duke (it's an Orioles thing, right?), I don't find it at all disrespectful. Even though I'm not American, if a similar thing was done to the Dutch national anthem, I wouldn't take offense to it, especially if a community, such as CIS, is participating in the action.

What I find very disrespectful is when people don't take hats off during the anthem. Whenever I was at games, I would also take my hat off and encourage those around me to take it off as well. I guess it's just a matter of how you've grown up with national anthems.

jimsumner
11-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Let me make a couple of final points about the national anthem and I'll move on.

Monkey makes the point that the O is a collective effort and therefore not a look-at-me exercise. I don't think those are mutually exclusive. I've seen a number of performers try to fool the Crazies, hold the last note before "Oh", speed up the tempo, slow down the tempo, whatever. Everytime this happens, they look at the Crazies and grin, the Crazies look at them and laugh. The whole thing has a definite look-at-me vibe. Or maybe it's look at us.

I hear the anthem from a position right in front of the students. Maybe this isn't apparent upstairs and I'm sure it isn't on TV. But every single time the O is chanted, it's followed by a fit of the giggles, some students, some non-students downstairs, visitors who aren't sure what to think. You'd think it was a performance of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

I probably hear the National Anthem performed live 150 times a year. Maybe more. I go to lots of games. I have no particular affection for the song itself. I'd prefer something easier to sing, something less militaristic. But I don't think Congress is going to declare God Bless America or This Land is Your Land the new national anthem anytime soon.

But I have developed some preferences. Just sing and/or play the song as written, with the dignity that the context suggests. And, before you ask I cringe inwardly just as much when State students do the same thing for "Red" that the Duke students do for "Oh." I can do without the singers I call American Idol Wannabees, the people who turn the word "free" into an epic journey. When will she run out of breath? Again, look-at-me.

I understand your point about freedom of speech. But, I can't believe that you think that in an universe I've ever visited that Mike Krzyzewski's opinion on the subejct will not or should not carry just a tad more weight than anyone elses. The court is named after him in because of his success and stature. Frankly, I'm surprised this hasn't become an issue sooner. If you're ever at a game and in position to see Krzyzewski, watch his posture during the National Anthem. It may open your eyes.

DevilBen02
11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Getting away from the never ending debate on the "O", I was actually a bit disappointed with the crazies last night against Miami. The energy and enthusiasm was certainly there, but I don't remember any creativity. For instance, after three years, there still isn't a cheer dedicated to Kyle Singler. Maybe I just love nicknames, but I find it incredibly lazy to simply chant "Ky-le Sing-ler" when the guy goes diving into the stands for a loose ball.

Also, there was no recognition for Zoub being in the building (and for that one, I would have loved to hear one more "Zoooub"), and it seemed that half of the student section either didn't know what to do or didn't care when the guy from Miami fouled out (but maybe that one can be attributed to the ignorance of freshmen). Despite those few flaws, though, I will again say that the energy was there. There is always room for improvement, but at least the house was packed on a Tuesday night against an overmatched early-season opponent.

30scheyer
11-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Did you not see the "Buckets" poster at the Princeton game referencing Kyle's highlight video on Duke Blue Planet? The student who creates videos for crazietalk.com had it. Perhaps if Kyle had hit more buckets on Tuesday you would have heard more Kyle cheers.
Personally I like the "Kyle Singler" chant with the claps that the Crazies bring out for his hustle.

jimsumner
11-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Getting away from the never ending debate on the "O", I was actually a bit disappointed with the crazies last night against Miami. The energy and enthusiasm was certainly there, but I don't remember any creativity. For instance, after three years, there still isn't a cheer dedicated to Kyle Singler. Maybe I just love nicknames, but I find it incredibly lazy to simply chant "Ky-le Sing-ler" when the guy goes diving into the stands for a loose ball.

Also, there was no recognition for Zoub being in the building (and for that one, I would have loved to hear one more "Zoooub"), and it seemed that half of the student section either didn't know what to do or didn't care when the guy from Miami fouled out (but maybe that one can be attributed to the ignorance of freshmen). Despite those few flaws, though, I will again say that the energy was there. There is always room for improvement, but at least the house was packed on a Tuesday night against an overmatched early-season opponent.

I was actually rather fond of the sign reading "Go back to Florida." The Miami, Ohio folks are quite sensitive about the subject. Or, so I'm told.

Cell-R
11-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Also, there was no recognition for Zoub being in the building (and for that one, I would have loved to hear one more "Zoooub"), and it seemed that half of the student section either didn't know what to do or didn't care when the guy from Miami fouled out (but maybe that one can be attributed to the ignorance of freshmen).

There was actually a Zoubek chant, maybe you just missed it? He acknowledged the crowd before it got really loud, but a significant portion of the crazies were cheering "Brian Zoubek".

Reilly
11-17-2010, 10:38 AM
The “O” is an Orioles thing. And since the poem was penned to commemorate the Battle of Baltimore, maybe a bit of leeway is allowed there for dem who root for da O’s, hon’.

But otherwise, here’s the behavior that the American people, via their elected representatives, under our constitutional democracy, expect for the playing of our national anthem:

36 U.S.C. 301

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode36/usc_sec_36_00000301----000-.html

§ 301. National anthem

(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

MulletMan
11-17-2010, 11:42 AM

1. There was a Zoub chant followed by the the Zoub with hand Z's... maybe you missed it.
2. Agreed that the nicknames are sad and pathetic. I long for the days of J-Wil Rock You, Who's your Daddy, Du-Du-Du-Du hon and From the Window to Lu-ol!
3. Creativity is at a minimum right now for two reasons, imho. The first is that at early season games, the crowd is often less seasoned and just trying to get into the regular chants. There are few who are confident enough or practiced enough to get a new chant going. This is an old issue. The other issue is a new one... the music being blared over the PA during warmups. Used to be that during warmups the Crazies would communicate with one another and target guys to go after on the opposing team. They would also yell to each other across the court to communicate on new cheers that were being tried or that someone had just come up with on the spot. No more. You can barely hear the person next to you talk. Creativity will continue to suffer going forward because the Crazies can't communicate.

DevilBen02
11-17-2010, 12:29 PM
I apologize that I missed the Zoub call-out. I should have known that such an obvious chant would not have been missed

lpd1982
11-17-2010, 12:41 PM

First, everyone is entitled to an opinion, so there's the nod to that.

Do people who constantly criticize the crazies, and I have been listening to this same whining for 7 years and I'm sure it has been going on longer, realize that Crazies read the board and it is demoralizing? They just lost a great friend, put forth an unbelievable public memorial, are CONSTANTLY tweaking their efforts to appease everyone, to cheer sheet, to not cheer sheet, to be respectful, to make the venue intimidating, to pack the stands for the team and the camera crews, but keep the traditions of fan rigor part of the experience. I think calling them lazy and spreading untruths about what was done and not done does a disservice to their efforts. Since Coach K says they are part of the TEAM, we should treat them as such, with respect.

flyingdutchdevil
11-17-2010, 12:46 PM

Do people who constantly criticize the crazies, and I have been listening to this same whining for 7 years and I'm sure it has been going on longer, realize that Crazies read the board and it is demoralizing? They just lost a great friend, put forth an unbelievable public memorial, are CONSTANTLY tweaking their efforts to appease everyone, to cheer sheet, to not cheer sheet, to be respectful, to make the venue intimidating, to pack the stands for the team and the camera crews, but keep the traditions of fan rigor part of the experience. I think calling them lazy and spreading untruths about what was done and not done does a disservice to their efforts. Since Coach K says they are part of the TEAM, we should treat them as such, with respect.

Welcome to DBR.

My biggest pet peeve of this forum is the continuous criticism of the student body. Unfortunately, there's no way around that.

Anyway, for those CC reading this, continue being awesome. You've been that way ever since I started following the Blue Devils.

DevilBen02
11-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Wow. A number of people corrected me for the fact that Zoub was recognized either when I wasn't listening or before I arrived, and for that I apologized for my oversight. I was not trying to "spread untruths". I also specifically commented that the energy of the students and fullness of the student section were to be applauded.

I probably should have worded my post more constructively, but my intent was merely to comment that for all of the praise that the students deserve, they can always get better. As you note, the Crazies have a great ability to adapt, which is one of the great attributes of this group. Unfortunately, it is one of the constants of this board that alums remember favorite cheers from the past all too fondly and are disappointed when they die. Hopefully, students are not demoralized by such griping as you suggest, but rather are motivated to create new cheers and traditions that can impress even us old whiners.

Finally, I'm sorry, but chanting "Ky-le Sing-ler" is lazy, just as it was lazy to chant "La-nce Tho-mas" last year, which was just as lazy as when we chanted "Ca-sey Sand-ers" and "Mike Dun-lea-vy" when I was in the stands ten years ago. I have always hated these kinds of cheers, so maybe that speaks more to my own problems than to the current crop of Crazies. Still, if I'm not the only one that would rather hear something more personal, I challenge the current students to prove me wrong.

Jim3k
11-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Hate to correct you Jim, but its at "Oh, say does that star spangled banner yet wave,"

Jim Sumner is correct. Francis Scott Key's original lyrics start with "O", not "Oh."

http://americanhistory.si.edu/starspangledbanner/the-lyrics.aspx

I'm sure that the poetic usage got dumbed down at some point, but the original version was "O say can..." etc.

Bluedog
11-17-2010, 03:30 PM

Jim Sumner is correct. Francis Scott Key's original lyrics start with "O", not "Oh."

I'm sure that the poetic usage got dumbed down at some point, but the original version was "O say can..." etc.

uh no wasn't saying there was a difference between "O" and "Oh". He merely was pointing out that it's not the beginning of the song that the Crazies do the O gesture. It's near the end so it's definitely NOT during "O say can..." It's during "O, say does that star...." portion.

Jim3k
11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
uh no wasn't saying there was a difference between "O" and "Oh". He merely was pointing out that it's not the beginning of the song that the Crazies do the O gesture. It's near the end so it's definitely NOT during "O say can..." It's during "O, say does that star...." portion.

Key used "O" at that point, too, so I don't see what "Oh" has to do with it. If the CCs aren't making an arm-signal "O", what are they doing? (BTW, I haven't seen a home game since 1998 (Fairfield), and they did the arm-signal "O" at the beginning, then.) I thought it was dumb, already understood the Oriole reference and couldn't see the point.

Making it into an "Oh" has even less relevance.

cf-62
11-17-2010, 04:38 PM
That one still bugs me to this day... especially with the constant reminders with the non-conference home winning streak (because that loss was the last non-conference loss in Cameron.)

We showed far more restraint than we normally would only because K asked us to, then he taunts us afterwards like a the little @#%$ he was.

And Erick Barkley apologized afterward - RIGHT afterward - saying he got too caught up in the moment.

I think Coach has pretty much gotten his requests right:
* Don't taunt Loren Woods about his mental health
* Don't chant %$$h*le at anybody
* Don't say "you suck" followed by a referee's name that could be construed as male genitalia
* Don't taunt Erick Barkley after the NCAA witch hunt had suspended him a few games
* Stopped the "Burgess got your dad fired" cheer
* Asked for GTHC restraint when Eve Carson was murdered

There are some interesting "positive" requests he's had, too:
* Asked the students to give Bryan Stith a warm reception the night he broke the UVA scoring record
* Encouraging the fans to "give it up" for Hubert Davis in Hubert's last game in Cameron - after he was hurt in a hustle play and was walking to the bench.

I am surprised he hasn't publicly asked the students not to do the "O" for years. My personal problem with it is that it is not OUR cheer - it was taken from the Orioles a decade ago, and it stuck.

This same debate happens every year in Raleigh. Sumner mentioned the loud "RED" during the national anthem, but at the end, the students shout "Wolfpack" over the last word - so that the song says "home of the Wolfpack."

jimsumner
11-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Correct. My bad.

devildeac
11-17-2010, 06:10 PM

The original lyrics may start with "Oh," but the Crazies make the "O" later in the anthem, not at the beginning so uh-no is correct. I still don't like it whether the action is at the beginning or in the middle and I'm glad K's request has resulted in a large decrease in the # of participants.

Bluedevil114
11-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Cameron Crazies were great again and the Minnesota chant was incredible as UNC goes down. That was awesome!!

juise
11-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Cameron Crazies were great again and the Minnesota chant was incredible as UNC goes down. That was awesome!!

It was amusing to hear it on the broadcast, but I'm guessing that K was probably not amused to have the attention in other places than the court. I'm sure he expects his players and the bleacher section of the team to be focused on Colgate alone. Even though it was "garbage time," those minutes were important for the younger guys and the team as a whole.

Bluedog
11-19-2010, 10:53 PM
It was amusing to hear it on the broadcast, but I'm guessing that K was probably not amused to have the attention in other places than the court. I'm sure he expects his players and the bleacher section of the team to be focused on Colgate alone. Even though it was "garbage time," those minutes were important for the younger guys and the team as a whole.

Coach K just said in the post game presser that the "crowd was great. This is possibly the best first week I've ever seen here. I appreciate the students' efforts. Upstairs has been good too, but obviously it's the students making most of the noise. Graduate students have been great too." (Not a verbatim quote)

Bluedevil114
11-19-2010, 10:55 PM

I am sure at that point of the game, there was a little grin that came across Coach K's face when he heard the chant. It is always great when the boys 8 miles away lose.

dukebsbll14
11-19-2010, 11:47 PM
I too thought we've been pretty good this first week. Yay first full week of Duke games!!

(Here comes the inevitable Crazie-trashing) But it has been kind of annoying with the number of people who keep their arms up and hex once the ball is in play. Once the ball is in play, drop the arms and jump and scream.

Anyone have the e-mail for the cheersheet? Sorry, don't mean to take away from the "Praise" intended by this thread, but me and a couple of other people have been feeling the same way.

juise
11-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Coach K just said in the post game presser that the "crowd was great. This is possibly the best first week I've ever seen here. I appreciate the students' efforts. Upstairs has been good too, but obviously it's the students making most of the noise. Graduate students have been great too." (Not a verbatim quote)

I wasn't criticizing the Crazies overall effort at all. I just cringed a little when I heard the chant, but I know K wasn't going to bring it up in the postgame presser. I was definitely checking the Carolina score and am always delighted when they go down.

anon
11-20-2010, 01:24 AM
I too thought we've been pretty good this first week. Yay first full week of Duke games!!

(Here comes the inevitable Crazie-trashing) But it has been kind of annoying with the number of people who keep their arms up and hex once the ball is in play. Once the ball is in play, drop the arms and jump and scream.

Anyone have the e-mail for the cheersheet? Sorry, don't mean to take away from the "Praise" intended by this thread, but me and a couple of other people have been feeling the same way.

Undergrad here. Why, really, do you care how other people watch the game, as long as they are enthusiastic and not overly disrespectful? I ask because I've heard this complaint many times from other Cameron regulars, but I just can't bring myself to tell others how to enjoy a basketball game.

Lid
11-20-2010, 10:21 AM
I've been super-impressed with the students this week, too. What a great start to the season! I admit to being disgruntled in the past when the students didn't show up, or weren't particularly loud, because I am SO INCREDIBLY JEALOUS and would love to be in the bleachers myself.

However, even on TV this week, the noise level and energy have been impressive. Who cares how you cheer, just stay loud and involved!

airowe
11-20-2010, 11:00 AM
The atmosphere was absolutely electric in cameron last night. I know its easy to get excited when a team is playing like Duke was last night, but you could tell the Crazies took it to a whole other level.

I really like that this year the students on the other end of where the opposing team is shooting free throws (ones that can't be seen) are making themselves heard.

You guys are obviously more educated (Ocho-Cinco chant for Chad Johnson) and spontaneous (Shots, shots, shots, shots, shots!)

One thing you guys missed though. When Kyle was calling for a somebody to wipe up a wet spot, a "Lazy Towel Guy" chant would have been perfect. ;)

jimsumner
11-20-2010, 11:52 AM
I am sure at that point of the game, there was a little grin that came across Coach K's face when he heard the chant. It is always great when the boys 8 miles away lose.

I rather suspect K didn't much care one way or another about a non-conference UNC game in November. If something happens during a game and it doesn't involve his team and that game, then it doesn't register. He has an incredible ability to focus on the task at hand.

TaiAdmiral
11-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Even though this was an early season tune up, the atmosphere was one of the best during my 3 years here at Duke. This is going to be a special, special year.

If you want to see more highlights from our perspective, here ya go!

http://www.crazie-talk.com/2010/11/20/section-17-oop-city/

uh_no
11-20-2010, 11:59 AM
One thing you guys missed though. When Kyle was calling for a somebody to wipe up a wet spot, a "Lazy Towel Guy" chant would have been perfect. ;)

The managers for this team work their a**** off. Please don't disrespect them. They're at every practice, every game, making sure everything is ready for our team to be championship caliber. They get little credit and are all (at least the ones I know) wonderful people. On the side of the court near the bench, the towel guys are seated behind the bench, making it difficult for them to get out anyway.

airowe
11-20-2010, 12:17 PM
The managers for this team work their a**** off. Please don't disrespect them. They're at every practice, every game, making sure everything is ready for our team to be championship caliber. They get little credit and are all (at least the ones I know) wonderful people. On the side of the court near the bench, the towel guys are seated behind the bench, making it difficult for them to get out anyway.

Come on, oh_no. I know that. It was a joke buddy.

dukebsbll14
11-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Undergrad here. Why, really, do you care how other people watch the game, as long as they are enthusiastic and not overly disrespectful? I ask because I've heard this complaint many times from other Cameron regulars, but I just can't bring myself to tell others how to enjoy a basketball game.

Well, we have no problem telling people to stop saying "you suck" at the games, maybe some people find it fun to scream obscenities at games. Granted the "you suck" is disrespectful and inappropriate, you're still telling someone how to enjoy the game when you tell them to stop shouting it.

Anyways, I dunno, I just think it looks weird and its not the routine.

anon
11-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Well, we have no problem telling people to stop saying "you suck" at the games, maybe some people find it fun to scream obscenities at games. Granted the "you suck" is disrespectful and inappropriate, you're still telling someone how to enjoy the game when you tell them to stop shouting it.

Anyways, I dunno, I just think it looks weird and its not the routine.

Right... like I said, I have a personal exception (as I think most people do) for inappropriate remarks or gestures and simple lack of enthusiasm. I guess what bothers me is that if the CCs had always had the attitude of "it's not the routine, so you shouldn't do it," well, we wouldn't have a routine at all, would we? These kinds of things grow organically, and the way it works is we pretty much throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Consider the Z-hands thing from last year, for example. It was pretty irreverent to begin with, for sure, but it's now part of the Cameron Crazies canon.

dukebsbll14
11-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Right... like I said, I have a personal exception (as I think most people do) for inappropriate remarks or gestures and simple lack of enthusiasm. I guess what bothers me is that if the CCs had always had the attitude of "it's not the routine, so you shouldn't do it," well, we wouldn't have a routine at all, would we? These kinds of things grow organically, and the way it works is we pretty much throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Consider the Z-hands thing from last year, for example. It was pretty irreverent to begin with, for sure, but it's now part of the Cameron Crazies canon.

I see what you're saying. There's always room for more craziness. I just think the hexing example is something that should stay the same. But, whatev, if it causes the opposing player to lose his focus for a split second so one of our guys can get a steal or block the pass, do it.

Andy7207
11-21-2010, 05:19 PM
You guys are obviously more educated (Ocho-Cinco chant for Chad Johnson) and spontaneous (Shots, shots, shots, shots, shots!)

I was watching on ESPN3 and heard the "Shots, shots, shots" cheer. I asked a friend about it later, and apparently it was actually a "Josh, Josh, Josh" cheer for Hairston. Which, in my opinion, makes it even better.