PDA

View Full Version : If college basketball had the BCS

NovaScotian
11-15-2010, 10:06 AM
not that anyone in their right mind would support this, but it's a funny idea:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/How-college-hoops-would-look-if-the-BCS-replaced?urn=ncaab-284245

the people who put this together get the orange bowl wrong though.

SCMatt33
11-15-2010, 12:53 PM
not that anyone in their right mind would support this, but it's a funny idea:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/How-college-hoops-would-look-if-the-BCS-replaced?urn=ncaab-284245

When I first read this, I started to wonder exactly what would have happened last year. Prior to the tournament, Kentucky was not as well liked by the computers as Duke and Kansas. IIRC, Duke and Kansas were so close in Pomeroy's ratings, that they were switching places between Selection Sunday and the first round based off of NIT results altering their respective strengths of schedule. Part of this was due to Pomeroy and Sagarin having the ACC and Big 12 1-2, though in different orders, while the SEC was stuck in 5th for both. With Duke closing the gap on Kentucky in the human polls in the last week due to Syracuse's mini meltdown at the end of the regular season, it would have been interesting to see which one would have been placed in a theoretical title game with Kansas (who would have been a lock to make it). I can just imagine the uproar that would have been caused if Duke had beat out Kentucky.

Rich
11-15-2010, 01:01 PM
When I first read this, I started to wonder exactly what would have happened last year. Prior to the tournament, Kentucky was not as well liked by the computers as Duke and Kansas. IIRC, Duke and Kansas were so close in Pomeroy's ratings, that they were switching places between Selection Sunday and the first round based off of NIT results altering their respective strengths of schedule. Part of this was due to Pomeroy and Sagarin having the ACC and Big 12 1-2, though in different orders, while the SEC was stuck in 5th for both. With Duke closing the gap on Kentucky in the human polls in the last week due to Syracuse's mini meltdown at the end of the regular season, it would have been interesting to see which one would have been placed in a theoretical title game with Kansas (who would have been a lock to make it). I can just imagine the uproar that would have been caused if Duke had beat out Kentucky.

And the fact that Butler would have been excluded entirely.

SCMatt33
11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
And the fact that Butler would have been excluded entirely.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. In the BCS, the criteria for a team from a non-AQ conference to earn an AQ bid is to be an undefeated conference champion who finishes in the top 12 of the standings. Since its been 20 years since a team went undefeated in the regular season in college basketball, they would have to come up with a lesser criteria, which at 28-5 (18-0), Butler likely would have achieved. They were in the top 12 of both polls before Selection Sunday, so I think the main question for them would have been whether or not the computers had them high enough to be in the to 12 overall (I have no idea where Butler was in the computer before the tourney). It also would have been a big opportunity for Butler given that traditional non-BCS powerhouses Memphis and Gonzaga were both down last year paving the way for a team like Butler to maybe have grabbed a BCS spot.

Of course, since it would be the BCS, they likely would have gotten stuck in a game with Washington had they been lucky enough to earn a bid at all.

DevilWolf
11-15-2010, 01:44 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe in the BCS that if a team makes it to the BCS Championship Game, the spot that is left vacated in their bowl tie-in goes to an at-large. So while Duke is the ACC champion in that scenario, the ACC wouldn't get to automatically send their next best team to the Orangle bowl. So that Orange bowl matchup would be correct.

Not that we'd ever know as the ACC will never send a team to the BCS title game.

NovaScotian
11-15-2010, 03:37 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe in the BCS that if a team makes it to the BCS Championship Game, the spot that is left vacated in their bowl tie-in goes to an at-large. So while Duke is the ACC champion in that scenario, the ACC wouldn't get to automatically send their next best team to the Orangle bowl. So that Orange bowl matchup would be correct.

Not that we'd ever know as the ACC will never send a team to the BCS title game.

that's a very good point - i didn't realize that.

i guess, we can all look at this and breathe a sigh of relief. as opposed to the mess that would occur (explained in the posts above in addition to many others), college basketball has the most fair and most entertaining method to determine its champion.

Kedsy
11-15-2010, 04:07 PM
(I have no idea where Butler was in the computer before the tourney).

On March 14 (before the NCAAT), RPI had Butler at #12, but Pomeroy had Butler at #26 and Sagarin had them at #22. In the human polls, AP had Butler at #11 and I'm not sure what the Coach's poll said about them.

SCMatt33
11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
On March 14 (before the NCAAT), RPI had Butler at #12, but Pomeroy had Butler at #26 and Sagarin had them at #22. In the human polls, AP had Butler at #11 and I'm not sure what the Coach's poll said about them.

They were actually up at number 8 which could have helped provide a little buffer and give them a chance to stay in the top 12 overall. Obviously, we'll never know without the requisite number of computer rankings.