PDA

View Full Version : A correction for the Mummy

watzone
06-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Thad has Luke Babbitt to Ohio State. He has committed to Nevada.

SeattleIrish
06-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Dang...I was hoping Watzone was going to tell us Duke was involved with more than just TWO of the top hoopsters in the class.:eek:

s.i.

vango
06-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Watzone (or anyone else):

In that same article we're not even mentioned for Travis Releford. I thought we were looking hard at him and he was very intrigued with us. We're listed pretty high here:

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2008

Based on nothing mind you, I seem to be getting the feeling that he's our second choice at SG behind Elliot Williams (or however it is correctly spelled).

Has something changed with regards to Releford?

watzone
06-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Dang...I was hoping Watzone was going to tell us Duke was involved with more than just TWO of the top hoopsters in the class.:eek:

s.i.

There is a chance Duke gets involved with another prospect and I fully expect Czyz to be top fifty shortly. The 08 class is not nearly as talented as the 09 class, where Duke has cast a wider net.

watzone
06-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Watzone (or anyone else):

In that same article we're not even mentioned for Travis Releford. I thought we were looking hard at him and he was very intrigued with us. We're listed pretty high here:

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2008

Based on nothing mind you, I seem to be getting the feeling that he's our second choice at SG behind Elliot Williams (or however it is correctly spelled).

Has something changed with regards to Releford?

There was some flirtation a bit back, but many feel he may be tough to sway from KU. It's safe to say for now anyway, that Raleford is no longer atop the charts where Duke is concerned. Right now, Elliot Williams is a big priority for the Devils.

captmojo
06-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Right now, Elliot Williams is a big priority for the Devils.

...and since he's the only one on the list showing interest in both Duke and unc, let's all hope he doesn't do a Brandon Wright.

vango
06-12-2007, 02:34 PM
There was some flirtation a bit back, but many feel he may be tough to sway from KU. It's safe to say for now anyway, that Raleford is no longer atop the charts where Duke is concerned. Right now, Elliot Williams is a big priority for the Devils.

Thank you kindly Watzone.

From what I've seen of Williams - he should be a priority....

GMR
06-12-2007, 03:47 PM
I was a little surprised to read, in comments by The Mummy on his top 50 list out of the '08 class, that Duke is looking at only two out of the top 50. There are 6 other ACC schools that have their schools listed as one of the favorites, all ahead of Duke's 2. Two other ACC schools are listed as one of the favorites with 2 candidates, leaving only two ACC schools with less than Duke for '08.

Watzone's statement that the '08 class is not as strong as '09 partially explains this, but UNC apparently is not shying away from this class with 9 out of the top 50. Even is Duke is looking to actually sign only two out of the '08 class, I would think that they would get some insurance with one or two additional possible recruits in the event Monroe or Williams do not commit to Duke, or due to injury or departure for whatever reason, one or more of Duke's 10 returning players next year are not around.

GMR

watzone
06-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I was a little surprised to read, in comments by The Mummy on his top 50 list out of the '08 class, that Duke is looking at only two out of the top 50. There are 6 other ACC schools that have their schools listed as one of the favorites, all ahead of Duke's 2. Two other ACC schools are listed as one of the favorites with 2 candidates, leaving only two ACC schools with less than Duke for '08.

Watzone's statement that the '08 class is not as strong as '09 partially explains this, but UNC apparently is not shying away from this class with 9 out of the top 50. Even is Duke is looking to actually sign only two out of the '08 class, I would think that they would get some insurance with one or two additional possible recruits in the event Monroe or Williams do not commit to Duke, or due to injury or departure for whatever reason, one or more of Duke's 10 returning players next year are not around.

GMR

Check out the Duke roster - Sr- Nelson Jr's- McClure, Paulus, Pocius Soph's- Henderson, Thomas, Zoubek, Scheyer Frosh- Smith, King, Singler

That's 11 players. If Nelson alone leaves, two spots are available. I suppose there could be a transfer or a player go pro, but how is Duke to know that now?

It makes sense to me that two players have been offered in 08 and another prospect has emerged. Duke is obviously fairly confident they will get two of the three. Yes, that could fail and we might be a little short, but 09 has better players IMO. It would likely pay to wait. If you look at the numbers alone, Duke is where they have to be. UNC on the other hand will be (likely)losing a couple of guys to the pros in Tyler H and Lawson.

hedgehog
06-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Check out the Duke roster - Sr- Nelson Jr's- McClure, Paulus, Pocius Soph's- Henderson, Thomas, Zoubek, Scheyer Frosh- Smith, King, Singler

That's 11 players. If Nelson alone leaves, two spots are available. I suppose there could be a transfer or a player go pro, but how is Duke to know that now?

It makes sense to me that two players have been offered in 08 and another prospect has emerged. Duke is obviously fairly confident they will get two of the three. Yes, that could fail and we might be a little short, but 09 has better players IMO. It would likely pay to wait. If you look at the numbers alone, Duke is where they have to be. UNC on the other hand will be (likely)losing a couple of guys to the pros in Tyler H and Lawson.

I thought we were allow 13 scholly players on the team. It would seem that if Nelson leaves we would have 10 players, leaving three spots available. Three more should then open up the following year for '09 recruits. Maybe K will only want to fill two of the three spots for '08, though, to leave 4 spots open for '09.

GMR
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I think Hedgehog is correct...a school gets 13 Scholarships. With Nelson graduating, we will have at least 3 available spots, and possibly more if one or more of the 10 returnees don't play/come back. I'm not advocating that Duke has to fill their allotment of 13, I'm simply a little surprised that if we're trying to get two scholarships filled, it might be best to have 4 or 5 potential players that we're catering to so that if one or more of the top 3 commit elsewhere, Duke has a back-up to fill in that player's spot.

I don't think that Duke wants to get into a spot where they have only 9 or 10 scholarship players, then have a huge class to fill in '09.

GMR

watzone
06-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I thought we were allow 13 scholly players on the team. It would seem that if Nelson leaves we would have 10 players, leaving three spots available. Three more should then open up the following year for '09 recruits. Maybe K will only want to fill two of the three spots for '08, though, to leave 4 spots open for '09.

Exactly! It could be four or five in 09;) In todays college basketball reality, we may well lose a player to a transfer or the NBA after the season. As long as 10 scholly players are on a roster, you're in fairly good shape. It's been awhile since we had 11 as Duke does this year. I'd say the odds are 50/50 we lose more than Nelson. That's the way it is.

Lord Ash
06-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Keep in mind that there are VERY few Top 100 recruits who want to be the 13th scholarship at Duke. These guys have egos and want to play.

Bob Green
06-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Keep in mind that there are VERY few Top 100 recruits who want to be the 13th scholarship at Duke. These guys have egos and want to play.

It is the egos of those Top 100 recruits that will prod them to believe they are not the 13th scholarship. In their mind, they will be ahead of several experienced players the day they arrive on campus. According to who the recruit is they may well be correct. Confidence is a powerful character trait for an athlete. Hopefully, Coach K and staff will find a diamond with that 13th scholarship.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan