PDA

View Full Version : Discussion re: proceeding with the annual "Phase X" posts

Lord Ash
11-12-2010, 03:48 PM
I would suggest a very minor tweak, which is to bump each UNC game up into the prior phase (i.e., phase 3 takes us through UNC, and phase 4 takes us through @UNC). Otherwise, great looking split.

Moderators, I hope no one minds me starting this; I didn't want to clutter up the Phase 1 thread, where a lot of actual basketball talk can happen, with just the "paperwork" of how we want to go forward with this?

Anyway, pfr, good idea... it gives each of phase 3 and 4 a nice "cap" to end it.

So, just to establish; each Phase focuses on a set (five, six, seven...) Key Concepts and Ideas for the upcoming "set" of games. Jumbo started us off in Phase 1 with his post. We can work off of Jumbos Phase 1, which leaves us needing at least FIVE more people to author them... one author for Phase 2, Phase 3, Phase 4, Phase 5, and Phase 6. Authors usually address the previous Phases in addition to giving their own "keys" for their Phase of games.

Can we just have people "nominate" writers (who can of course say no thanks) and after we get a bunch of names then we can do a quick "Vote for phase writers" thing where everyone votes for five or howevermany folks, and then those five or howevermany folks each get a "phase" during the year? Are we okay with this?

superdave
11-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Can we just have people "nominate" writers (who can of course say no thanks) and after we get a bunch of names then we can do a quick "Vote for phase writers" thing where everyone votes for five or howevermany folks, and then those five or howevermany folks each get a "phase" during the year? Are we okay with this?

Or do we want to have 3-4 people who email/PM a draft of an opening post for each Phase back and forth so we get a good quality (and consensus) first post?

Lord Ash
11-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Hm, I don't know... personally I would trust the regular folks here to know which posters they would want to hear from, and those people to do a good job. We've already got Jumbos first post, and most folks have seen the Phase posts, so I think quality-wise we would likely be safe...

superdave
11-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Everyone cool with this? UNC closes out each III and IV.

Phase I - Princeton through Butler - Who are we? stage. 11/14 - 12/4
Phase II - Bradley through Greensboro - Exams, Christmas and end of pre-ACC. 12/5 - 12/31
Phase III - Miami through UNC#1 - First half of the ACC. 1/1 - 2/9
Phase IV - Miami through UNC#2 - Second half of the ACC. 2/10 - 3/5
Phase V - ACC tournament in Greensboro. 3/6 - 3/13

And nothing is a given so if we make the NCAAs, we'll have a Phase VI for the first weekend.

Lord Ash
11-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Looks great to me, thanks for organizing that!

Maybe when a few other folks get a look at it, we can start naming folks we'd like to see write up a phase... if people are even okay with this idea? Just seems like it might be a fun way to hear from a few folks whose posts and contributions we appreciate... I know I have a few people I would love to see write one up!

TigerDevil
11-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Sounds fantastic. I've enjoyed this iterative system and really appreciate you guys taking the time to organize it.

Phase II - Bradley through Greensboro - Exams, Christmas and end of pre-ACC. 12/5 - 12/31

And nothing is a given so if we make the NCAAs, we'll have a Phase VI for the first weekend.

NSDukeFan
11-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Moderators, I hope no one minds me starting this; I didn't want to clutter up the Phase 1 thread, where a lot of actual basketball talk can happen, with just the "paperwork" of how we want to go forward with this?

Anyway, pfr, good idea... it gives each of phase 3 and 4 a nice "cap" to end it.

So, just to establish; each Phase focuses on a set (five, six, seven...) Key Concepts and Ideas for the upcoming "set" of games. Jumbo started us off in Phase 1 with his post. We can work off of Jumbos Phase 1, which leaves us needing at least FIVE more people to author them... one author for Phase 2, Phase 3, Phase 4, Phase 5, and Phase 6. Authors usually address the previous Phases in addition to giving their own "keys" for their Phase of games.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Phase reports (which I share) and think you have come across a great idea to use some of the great talent on this board, but I wonder if it is a bit early to plan ahead for the Phase reports unless you are certain than Jumbo will be unable. I may have misinterpreted his Phase post, but I think he should have first refusal on any Phase posts that he has the chance to do. Maybe he won't have the opportunity to do any, but I would appreciate his perspective, if possible. Otherwise, I think your ideas certainly have merit as I definitely enjoy the Phase discussions.

Hi folks. I apologize for the long absence, but I've been swamped and will continue to be similarly swamped for a while. So, one of the things I haven't been able to do is follow Duke hoops nearly as closely as usual (which, in some ways, feels healthy and refreshing). And I've had to make the choice to essentially stop contributing the boards.

Right now, I can't see any way that I'll be able to handle the plus/minus stuff during the season, and I don't have the energy at the moment for a full phase post. I don't know if I'll be able to manage others going forward, either. But given the flattering number of callouts that Jason made me aware of, I do want to offer a mini phase post, which someone could feel free to move into a different thread. And mostly, I just want to thank everyone for all the fun over the years. I'll be back with a greater presence at some point, I suspect. Until then, chew on these questions I have going into the season.

Newton_14
11-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Looks great to me, thanks for organizing that!

Maybe when a few other folks get a look at it, we can start naming folks we'd like to see write up a phase... if people are even okay with this idea? Just seems like it might be a fun way to hear from a few folks whose posts and contributions we appreciate... I know I have a few people I would love to see write one up!

I would nominate Kedsy as one writer (no offense to any of the rest of the crowd)

Kedsy
11-12-2010, 08:22 PM
I would nominate Kedsy as one writer (no offense to any of the rest of the crowd)

Thanks, Boozer. I was going to nominate you. But I'd be happy to help out, assuming Jumbo's schedule continues to make it difficult for him to do it.

Lord Ash
11-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Ah yes, I am sorry, I did assume from Jumbo's post that he may not have a chance to do the reports this year as in the last two... if I misread that I am sorry!

Personally I would enjoy to see Airowe or Jim S take a phase, but if the pros would be unable I would enjoy seeing Ozzie4Duke take one...

MulletMan
11-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I would just like to mention that this, right here, is what I love about DBR. There are very few other places on the interwebs where posters would proactively organize a reasonable and detailed discussion of something in this manner.

I would also like to point out, for the "olde timers" that this is the kind of thoughtful analysis of Duke basketball that some of us often lament missing from Juliovision, the SBBS, etc. Get involved "olde timers"! So that DBR continues to be the standard of fan sites on the web!

Good on ya, gang!

NSDukeFan
11-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Ah yes, I am sorry, I did assume from Jumbo's post that he may not have a chance to do the reports this year as in the last two... if I misread that I am sorry!

Personally I would enjoy to see Airowe or Jim S take a phase, but if the pros would be unable I would enjoy seeing Ozzie4Duke take one...

If we are taking nominations, I agree with those mentioned so far and (for another non-moderator) would add CDu, though I haven't seen him posting much here lately.

superdave
11-13-2010, 01:39 PM
I would just like to mention that this, right here, is what I love about DBR. There are very few other places on the interwebs where posters would proactively organize a reasonable and detailed discussion of something in this manner.

I would also like to point out, for the "olde timers" that this is the kind of thoughtful analysis of Duke basketball that some of us often lament missing from Juliovision, the SBBS, etc. Get involved "olde timers"! So that DBR continues to be the standard of fan sites on the web!

Good on ya, gang!

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Phase reports (which I share) and think you have come across a great idea to use some of the great talent on this board, but I wonder if it is a bit early to plan ahead for the Phase reports unless you are certain than Jumbo will be unable. I may have misinterpreted his Phase post, but I think he should have first refusal on any Phase posts that he has the chance to do. Maybe he won't have the opportunity to do any, but I would appreciate his perspective, if possible. Otherwise, I think your ideas certainly have merit as I definitely enjoy the Phase discussions.

I do hope Jumbo can weigh in as much as possible, and I think all ensuing Phase threads should be based off his post from yesterday to a large extent. Of course we may have to add "Can they stay healthy?" just to keep our luck going.

These threads make my season complete - thanks, DBR!

Jumbo
11-14-2010, 12:29 PM
I think we can figure this out as time goes by. I did neglect to map out Phase I, which I'd say is Princeton through the Butler game. I'm tempted to make it through the end of the CBE Classic, but let's stretch it out a bit. Anyway, let's see where things are come early December, then.

airowe
11-14-2010, 12:36 PM
I'd like to nominate SilkyJ as well, if he has the time and is so inclined. I'm crazy busy with school/work/life/blog as it is right now, and am finding it hard to even put up articles on my own site...

Saratoga2
12-05-2010, 07:15 AM
I miss Jumbo's phase reports. They tend to elicit lots for inciteful discussion. We seem to have reached a milestone now, with the difficult stretch behind us and slightly weaker opponents until the SCC starts.

I think what we have seen so far is that Kyrie is the real deal and is exceeding all expectations. Andre's play has improved to the extent that he will be getting starter minutes as an important player off the bench. Mason has shown a great deal of improvement as well.

I wonder if we can expect our turnovers to reduce oor the 15 a game are an artifact of playing an uptempo game.

I also wonder if our defense will improve to cut down on the open shots we are giving up. Certainly Nolan is playing excellent on ball defense and both Kyrie and Andre are improving their defense. Kyle hass always been a solid defender, but there seems to be a lack of cohesiveness to the defense, or perhaps they are just looking tired.

Finally, I don't see anyone of our bigs with great touch near the basket. Duks are great, but we are unlikely to get many of those. Where is the 10 foot jumper or the jump hook? Mason has the tools but he in close shooting seems to lack touch.

Hope someone grabs ahold of the phase reports if Jumbo is away in Africa for a long period.

Lord Ash
12-05-2010, 10:44 AM
This was just brought up in another post, so thought I'd bring this up... does anyone know if Jumbo wants to keep doing this, or should we maybe ask a guest writer to take Phase 2?

superdave
12-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Should we wrap up Phase I and start up Phase II on Monday or Tuesday? Who wants to take the lead on Phase II?

If Jumbo does not pop up in the next day or two, I believe Kedsy has been nominated!

Super "You around Jumbo?" Dave

Saratoga2
12-05-2010, 05:08 PM
The greatest respect we can give to Jumbo is to continue his idea and efforts to the best of our abilities, assumiong he is unable to do so. There are a lot of good basketball people on the board who have access to the team. I trust one or more of them will make the effort to continue Jumbo's fine efforts. I like the schedule plan that was laid out earlier.

I look forward to the Phase II discussion.

Neals384
12-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Kedsy, ready for your Phase II report!

Lord Ash, can we nominate you as well for a future phase?

You guys are great!

Newton_14
12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
This was just brought up in another post, so thought I'd bring this up... does anyone know if Jumbo wants to keep doing this, or should we maybe ask a guest writer to take Phase 2?

Jason knows Jumbo better than anyone so he can ask, but at this point, it may be best to pick one of our nominee's and let them go ahead with it.

Since you headed this up, I would be ok with you selecting one of the nominee's and let them kick it out. From there we should go ahead soon and make selections for the remaining phases up to the end of the regular season so the writers can have time to put their thoughts together.

My two cents..

superdave
12-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Jason knows Jumbo better than anyone so he can ask, but at this point, it may be best to pick one of our nominee's and let them go ahead with it.

Since you headed this up, I would be ok with you selecting one of the nominee's and let them kick it out. From there we should go ahead soon and make selections for the remaining phases up to the end of the regular season so the writers can have time to put their thoughts together.

My two cents..

I agree with you, Boozer (Not Carlos). We should give Jumbo a few days or nominate someone to start Phase II in the manner we discussed last month.

Kedsy
12-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Kedsy, ready for your Phase II report!

Lord Ash, can we nominate you as well for a future phase?

You guys are great!

I have already started working on it and hope to post something tomorrow. If anybody has any ideas they want to make sure I include, please let me know.

And of course if anybody hears from Jumbo and he wants to do it (and has the time), I'd be thrilled for him to take back the mantle.

Lord Ash
12-06-2010, 01:43 AM
I for one would be happy to see Kedsy take Phase 2... he has been around a LONG time and has always had very interesting thoughts and insights about the team... so, in the spirit of keeping the Phases going, I say go for it!:) Maybe if Jumbo wants to jump in again in the next Phase he can, or someone else can maybe help carry the load... we can always check back:)

Anyway, I'm sure everyone would love to hear your thoughts about what questions and challenges Duke faces going into this next slate of games... if I am correct, Phase 2 will cover from the Bradley game through St. Louis, Elon, and UNC-G, an interesting set of second-tier opponents for the Blue Devils before the start of the ACC season! What have we learned, how have we grown, what do we want to see... a great place to start discussion. Thanks!

sagegrouse
12-06-2010, 06:19 AM
I have already started working on it and hope to post something tomorrow. If anybody has any ideas they want to make sure I include, please let me know.

And of course if anybody hears from Jumbo and he wants to do it (and has the time), I'd be thrilled for him to take back the mantle.

Works for me. Kedsy, do we get access to your literary editor?

-- sagegrouse

gam7
12-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Phase I ends on Wednesday. Shall we line up someone for Phase II? Jumbo? Kedsy? Buehler?

gam7
12-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Phase I ends on Wednesday. Shall we line up someone for Phase II? Jumbo? Kedsy? Buehler?

Sorry, I guess the next phase is Phase III.

Lord Ash
12-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Ah yes, phase III!

Any thoughts on who should take it? Silky isn't a bad choice at all...?

gam7
12-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Ah yes, phase III!

Any thoughts on who should take it? Silky isn't a bad choice at all...?

I think Silky would do a fantastic job. One name that hasn't been floated that I think would do an insightful and entertaining phase report is OldPhiKap.

Acymetric
12-26-2010, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing something from Olympic Fan if he were so inclined, he makes some pretty detailed and informative posts already. The other suggestions sound good as well...looking forward to the next phase post!

superdave
12-26-2010, 02:21 PM
JasonEvans - do you want to ping Jumbo?

Otherwise Silky has been nominated and apparently seconded.

We do need to hash out Phase II for the next few days first though!

SilkyJ
12-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Guys-- first of all, thanks for the nomination. Secondly, I hadn't been following this thread that closely and am on holiday, so sorry for being a bit late on seeing this.

Also, I looked around, but didn't see a timeline for the Phase posts. Are we thinking Phase III begins with the start of the ACC season? If so, I'm visiting with my girlfriend's family through Sunday night, and wouldn't be able to make deadline.

If that's the case, I'd kindly request a reprieve until Phase IV, which I would envision starting around the first week of February, aka half-way through the ACC season.

If that's not the case, I can get something up Monday/Tuesday (1/3, 1/4)

Newton_14
12-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Guys-- first of all, thanks for the nomination. Secondly, I hadn't been following this thread that closely and am on holiday, so sorry for being a bit late on seeing this.

Also, I looked around, but didn't see a timeline for the Phase posts. Are we thinking Phase III begins with the start of the ACC season? If so, I'm visiting with my girlfriend's family through Sunday night, and wouldn't be able to make deadline.

If that's the case, I'd kindly request a reprieve until Phase IV, which I would envision starting around the first week of February, aka half-way through the ACC season.

If that's not the case, I can get something up Monday/Tuesday (1/3, 1/4)

Below is the schedule that SuperDave put out. I assume we are following this which means Phase II ends tomorrow night and Phase III starts with the Miami game.

Originally Posted by superdave

Maybe Olympic Fan would be willing to take Phase III and let you handle Phase IV?

SilkyJ
12-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Below is the schedule that SuperDave put out. I assume we are following this which means Phase II ends tomorrow night and Phase III starts with the Miami game.

Maybe Olympic Fan would be willing to take Phase III and let you handle Phase IV?

Thanks Booz. I think that schedule makes sense moving forward and it would be great if OF is around to take Phase III, and I'll be ready to roll with IV come Feb.

Lord Ash
12-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Sounds great!

gam7
02-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Just a heads up to SilkyJ for the next phase. Look forward to seeing his analysis if he still has the interest and capacity to take it on.

superdave
02-11-2011, 12:58 PM
SilkyJ - are you ready, willing and able for Phase IV?

Newton_14
02-11-2011, 11:42 PM
SilkyJ - are you ready, willing and able for Phase IV?

Bump to the top>

Calling SilkyJ, paging Mr Silky...:)

Ok, who are the candidates if Silky cannot do it? Superdave? Jason Evans? Who is up to the task?

gam7
02-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Bump to the top>

Calling SilkyJ, paging Mr Silky...:)

Ok, who are the candidates if Silky cannot do it? Superdave? Jason Evans? Who is up to the task?

I'm already on record as an OPK fan.