PDA

View Full Version : JJ Redick gives a shout out to DBR

lazee
06-12-2007, 09:29 AM
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/12/Sports/Burton_enjoys_time_ha.shtml

Burton enjoys time hanging with Devil

By BRANT JAMES
Published June 12, 2007

ORLANDO - J.J. Redick had a basic understanding of how much Duke men's basketball makes Jeff Burton's heart flutter. He got a much better idea Monday at the Magic's practice facility, where the NBA guard faced the Nextel Cup veteran in a game of h-o-r-s-e - make that D-a-y-t-o-n-a - at a media function promoting the July 7 Pepsi 400 at Daytona International Speedway.

"I knew that he was a Duke fan. I didn't know to what level, " Redick said. "I knew he'd been going to Cameron (Indoor Stadium) since he was a kid, which is pretty cool.

"About twice a week (on Duke basketballreport.com), it has a quote from him, I think it goes, 'I think you can rest assured I'm not a Carolina fan. I was raised better than that.' Something to that effect."

Burton, the 2000 Pepsi 400 winner who was third in this year's Daytona 500 and stands fifth in driver points, seemed to enjoy being a fan.

"It was pretty cool to get to meet him, " he grinned. "You go around and see them shoot a basketball and (think) how easy it looks. When you go to do it and see how they consistently do it well, it's pretty amazing what they do."

So how big a did he show himself to be?

"Oh, he's up there, " Redick said. "He was telling me how he and his brother still have four tickets. We were talking about how hard it is to be in North Carolina and be a Duke fan, because everyone there is either a Carolina fan or a (N.C.) State fan. It's like being a minority. I've definitely earned some respect for him. It went up a notch."

Perhaps that's how Burton, wearing jeans, casual black leather walking shoes and a white jersey with his car number (minus the Pepsi logo so as not to give his Coca-Cola backers an embolism) lasted so long. That and having former Magic guard Nick Anderson take care of a few 3-pointers for him.

"After the first three or four shots I realized I could make it short and sweet, but I wanted to make him feel good, and I was shooting 7-footers, " Redick admitted. "I missed a lot of those on purpose. I always let everyone get a few letters on me. It's a level of respect. This is a thing for Daytona, and I didn't want to embarrass him in front of all these people."

Redick was also covering himself in case he's ever invited to play on Burton's court.

"I would expect him to give me a break on the track, " he said.

Just like Burton said he did.

"I'm a guest, " he said. "My momma taught me to be a courteous guest."