PDA

View Full Version : A Duke Preview by Yours Truly

SilkyJ
11-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Hey Guys, so as I'm sure many of you know, Airowe has his own blog going on at www.dukehoopblog.com.

He kindly asked me if I'd like to contribute something and I thought I'd write a multi-part preview leading up to our game this Sunday that focuses on some key issues/themes for this year.

Part 1 (http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/11/08/912/) was posted on Monday and had to do with our frontcourt, namely the Plumlees.

Part 2 (http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/11/09/from-a-liability-to-a-strength-dukes-backcourt/) was posted yesterday and focused on our backcourt, specifically newcomers Kyrie and Seth.

I'm certainly no Al Featherston, Barry Jacobs, or Jim Sumner, but I thought you guys might find interesting. I would definitely welcome any feedback the DBR community has!

(look for Part 3 later this week, and 1-2 additional parts over the weekend)

superdave
11-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for sharing. I read quickly but here's a little feedback.

I thought some of your praise of the MPs was a little too much - they are talented and athletic certainly - but I would have concentrated a little more on what they will be asked to do defensively (hedge on screens, rebound, rotate correctly) as well as where they fit in offensively relative to the other guys who are more dominant offensively. Also, I think Miles is a good spot up shooter but not likely to take his guy off the dribble whereas Mason will attempt the dribble drive some.

As for the backcourt article, I enjoyed the section on Kyrie although I'm not so sure of the Iverson comparison (Austin Rivers maybe??). I really like your reference to Seth playing with a chip - you might add that the NCAA would not let him have a ring and that he paid his own way to Indy for the Final Four. I'm not sure what you are working on now, but you gave Dawkins little ink and have not mentioned Josh yet at all. All in all, pretty enjoyable.

Bob Green
11-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I enjoyed the first article so thanks for sharing the link. I haven't read the second article yet.

With Duke looking to play much more uptempo this season, I believe Miles and Mason will have the opportunity to excell within Coach Krzyzewski's "new" system. There will be many box scores which are similar to last season's Wake Forest game when the two combined to score 30 points and grab 21 rebounds. The uptempo game plays to their strengths.

However, consistently playing tough interior defense by properly rotating to help out and constantly communicating, is the on court skill they need to demonstrate. And, of course, rebounding on both ends of the court. When opponents attempt to penetrate against our defense, we need the Plumlees to provide an intimidating presence. When shots go awry, we need the Plumlees to be ball magnets.

Thanks again for sharing your perspective.

BleedsP287
11-10-2010, 07:42 PM
I enjoyed the article. I'm excited to (hopefully) see the Plumlees perform up to everyone's high level of expectation.

Everyone is saying these guys are going to be very good. I'm not enough of a basketball talent analyst to predict whether they will really break out or not (I was sure Randolf and Burgess were college stars in the making, but fate and injuries and transfers etc. intervened, so my predictions clearly aren't worth much). Anyway, sadly, I haven't seen it yet in Mason and Miles for any kind of extended run, and it's my biggest concern with our team this year. With a productive MP1&2 we'll be very, very good this year, with an injury or if one of the beloved brothers doesn't blossom we may be feeling very thin up front. But I'm a worrier...hopefully everything will be fine!