PDA

View Full Version : Hour Long Duke Inside Access on ESPNU Tue/ESPN2 Thu

Lord Ash
11-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Just a fresh reminder... the first hour long special inside the Duke Mens Basketball Program is on ESPNU tonight at 9:00 PM, and the second is on Thursday at 8:00 PM on ESPN2. Set those tivos... and even if you DON'T think you get ESPNU just check to make sure; I THOUGHT I didn't get it, but turns out I do... it was just buried up in some random 600 channel!

Duvall
11-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Just a fresh reminder... the first hour long special inside the Duke Mens Basketball Program is on ESPNU tonight at 9:00 PM, and the second is on Thursday at 8:00 PM on ESPN2. Set those tivos... and even if you DON'T think you get ESPNU just check to make sure; I THOUGHT I didn't get it, but turns out I do... it was just buried up in some random 600 channel!

Thanks.

Somebody should edit the title of this thread to reflect that the special will be on ESPNU, not ESPN.

Lord Ash
11-09-2010, 05:42 PM
I had done that only because it is on ESPNU tonight and ESPN2 on Thursday. Hope that doesn't cause anyone to get all excited/all depressed?

I can change it if need be.

blazindw
11-09-2010, 05:47 PM
I changed the thread title to reflect what day it will be on each channel. Carry on. :)

DevilOfATime
11-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Have my DVR ready to go.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Is this more of the Inside Access that aired last week or a rerun of what's already been seen? There have been four 30 min episodes thus far, right?

loran16
11-09-2010, 09:19 PM
It seems to be a best-hits version of the first 4 30 minute episodes along with shots of countdown to craziness.

Hope there's new content.

cbnaylor
11-09-2010, 09:28 PM
We should have a season of this.....who's with me? :)

hedevil
11-09-2010, 09:46 PM
I'll be tuning in. I only caught one of the ESPNU episodes, so I'm hoping to see plenty of the footage I missed.

loran16
11-09-2010, 10:07 PM
I missed the 3rd 30 minute episode, so some of this stuff may have been in there, but the gems and interesting things of tonight were:

#1: The 3 minute clip of Duke players (Mason, Kyree, Josh, at the very least) in the Intro to Acting Class. Hilarious.

#2: Aww cute shots of the assistant coach's kids.

#3: Interesting comment in the last scrimmage: Coach K to Wojo and Collins: "We need to coach Nolan and Kyle better." I'm curious as to what that really means...to get them more used to being leaders? To get them to take the next step in their development? Very interesting to me.

#4: 3-5 Minute talk about managers and really Casey Peters in general. Heartwarming but an interesting choice to fill up space in this thing.

#5: Nolan using two bits of profanity (I think the F-word) in his pre-game speech before the first exhibition game.

DevilHorns
11-09-2010, 10:25 PM
A little disappointed that there wasn't a lot of new footage, but who cares?, I could watch this stuff all day.

Nolan in the center of the huddle to pump the team up!

moonpie23
11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
wojo and collins.......pure duke....both of them...

coach k has to be proud of the energy and dedication these two guys bring.....

gam7
11-10-2010, 02:18 AM
#3: Interesting comment in the last scrimmage: Coach K to Wojo and Collins: "We need to coach Nolan and Kyle better." I'm curious as to what that really means...to get them more used to being leaders? To get them to take the next step in their development? Very interesting to me.

I took this comment to suggest that Coach K noticed a tendency to take Kyle and Nolan for granted while they were trying to coach up the rest of the team.

In a previous episode, I found Coach K's comments to Wojo during a scrimmage to be interesting as well. One of his comments to Wojo about Singler was that he was afraid that Kyle was becoming too much of a jump shooter and that he wanted him to go inside and mix it up a bit. I actually think that the potential for Kyle to become just a jump shooter is an issue to watch throughout the season.

Coach K also made a comment about Ryan Kelly, I think, saying that he could be really effective because he just won't miss when he has open shots from outside.

roywhite
11-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Kyle: "What's the best thing about being a Duke Basketball player?....That's it...being a Duke Basketball player"

Loved the show.

CharlestonDevil
11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Coach K at the opening of the episode "Being in Cameron is a religious experience."

Amen to that.

johnb
11-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I could watch this stuff all day.

Oddly enough, I've shown clips to a couple of non-fan friends, and they immediately started yawning. Almost enough to make them non-friends until April.

Devil's Advocate
11-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Was it just me, or was the piece about Nolan's toes just hysterical? I love the fact that he isn't shy about putting himself out there on a personal level. He seems very well grounded.

On a different note, I can't help but think that Kyrie seems pretty confident, borderline cocky. Really, who could blame him. Even the senior studs are saying that his ability is exceptional. I actually like that Kyrie seems that way. It's a bit Laettneresque and seems to position players to have an "I will win because I'm better" attitude instead of an "I want to win and maybe I can" attitude.

One line, er thought, that kept coming to mind while I was watching them practice, especially the big men running and dunking, was how "alarmingly unathletic" they seemed to be. I have great concern about their future. There's no way this team could win the National Championship. ;)

Great show overall. I'm really looking forward to part II on Thursday - and to watching a practice up close and in person tonight at the Emily K benefit.

JonnyWonder
11-10-2010, 10:23 AM
It's great to hear everyone's reaction to these specials - this series sounds like a great way to keep up the momentum for our program (and drive the Duke haters crazy).

As I am a cable-less bastard, would greatly appreciate a PM from anyone who can put any of these specials on a DVD or has any other ideas of how I can watch online...

-j

Devil's Advocate
11-10-2010, 10:35 AM
It's great to hear everyone's reaction to these specials - this series sounds like a great way to keep up the momentum for our program (and drive the Duke haters crazy).

As I am a cable-less bastard, would greatly appreciate a PM from anyone who can put any of these specials on a DVD or has any other ideas of how I can watch online...

-j

I think they were running at least part of it on the ESPN website.

COYS
11-10-2010, 10:50 AM
I think they were running at least part of it on the ESPN website.

Unfortunately, I think they are only showing a 1.5 minute film session clip (which is fascinating for such a short clip) and a 30 sec. clip of Singler doing a "Hoop Dreams" mural for the player's lounge.

cbnaylor
11-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Favorite part is when K is in the locker room going over film and he points out what they were doing wrong. He mentions that 90% of their screens were unsuccessful because they went untouched. He follows by saying "You're dang (edited) right I'm going to be upset"

Daniel tosh
11-10-2010, 11:08 AM
I loved how near the end of the show they were taking a picture with the team and a few kids,someone said "say Carolina" and Coach K says "We don't do that here".Classic Coach K.

gam7
11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Favorite part is when K is in the locker room going over film and he points out what they were doing wrong. He follows by saying "You're dang (edited) right I'm going to be upset"

I also liked the point he made immediately after that quote, which was "but it's not going to change unless you get upset about it."

I enjoyed when he said "this is the mood you guys had when you got your a-- beat in the scrimmage." It's fun when we see the unsanitized K.

He also seemed to be giving Miles a lot of love.

almostrufio
11-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Is there any way to watch this online? Will ESPN sell dvds of this?

wilson
11-10-2010, 07:23 PM
I have to say, this series has not only made me (more) giddy about the upcoming season, but it has also restored some kernel of faith in me that the "ESPN family of networks" isn't a total crap-box. It's clear that the production team has a good understanding of basketball tactics, and of all the various things that go into the making of a successful program. There aren't any wasted or generic shots...every image serves some purpose in conveying the program's overall message. Moreover, you get the impression that our guys featured in the program are all genuinely interested in imparting some idea of what Duke is all about.
Lastly, the ESPN family has (for once) resisted the urge to yammer about everything. The series is basically entirely free of any voice-overs or third-party commentary. In that regard, it's a thinking person's basketball show, intended to teach you something about a game that it presumes you already know well. That kind of attitude toward viewers is all too rare in any genre these days.
I feel like I could watch these programs intently a few times and then very ably coach a youth league team. They function extremely well as instructional material.

CEF1959
11-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I watched it last night and loved it. It made me very proud to be affiliated with the school. I wish the editors hadn't gone quite so far with the choppy-edgy editing, but it was still a remarkable piece. Josh Hairston fretting about spelling K's name was hilarious. And a nice shout out by the team for Casey. Great show.

Stray Gator
11-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I have to say, this series has not only made me (more) giddy about the upcoming season, but it has also restored some kernel of faith in me that the "ESPN family of networks" isn't a total crap-box. It's clear that the production team has a good understanding of basketball tactics, and of all the various things that go into the making of a successful program. There aren't any wasted or generic shots...every image serves some purpose in conveying the program's overall message. Moreover, you get the impression that our guys featured in the program are all genuinely interested in imparting some idea of what Duke is all about.
Lastly, the ESPN family has (for once) resisted the urge to yammer about everything. The series is basically entirely free of any voice-overs or third-party commentary. In that regard, it's a thinking person's basketball show, intended to teach you something about a game that it presumes you already know well. That kind of attitude toward viewers is all too rare in any genre these days.
I feel like I could watch these programs intently a few times and then very ably coach a youth league team. They function extremely well as instructional material.

I have no doubt that these programs are going to pay handsome dividends in recruiting for Duke basketball.

Lord Ash
11-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Really a wonderful piece.

I loved the very high production values and the almost-raw footage of practices that was free of shouting commentators and Mazda commercials and over-analysts... getting to see the kids talk and laugh and eat spaghetti together... the "behind the scenes" of the basketball facilities... seeing the assistant coaches who we knew so well as players bark out orders and encouragement... the dedicated managers who get so little limelight doing their thing... and the beautiful shots of the place I spent four great years, as an athlete and as a student and as a Crazie.

And it meant a lot to me to see a lot of the values that I take so seriously in life, and took so seriously in my time at Duke, exemplified in so many ways by our basketball program.

As some other folks have said, it made me proud of being a Duke alumnus.

Oh, and it didn't hurt that it started with K saying that Cameron isn't changing as long as HE is there. Preach on, Coach.

CharlestonDevil
11-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Really a wonderful piece.

I loved the very high production values and the almost-raw footage of practices that was free of shouting commentators and Mazda commercials and over-analysts... getting to see the kids talk and laugh and eat spaghetti together... the "behind the scenes" of the basketball facilities... seeing the assistant coaches who we knew so well as players bark out orders and encouragement... the dedicated managers who get so little limelight doing their thing...

If anyone has seen the HBO special on the Duke/Carolina Rivalry there is a clip while discussing the early 90's Duke teams, specifically 91 and 92, and someone stating that due to the increased amount of air time that college basketball was receiving "those Duke teams were like rockstars".

I feel like this is happening again. As Mason, Kyrie, Kyle, and Austin step on to the college and NBA scenes, along with (hopefully) another title or two, and K in the Olympics, Duke could be far and away the hottest program over the next several years.

DevilHorns
11-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Replay is on now ESPN2 (8 pm ET). Watch if you haven't seen it!

hedevil
11-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Checking it out right now on ESPN2. This stuff gets me anxious.

Acymetric
11-11-2010, 08:20 PM
How cool is it that they're using Black Keys? Those guys are just plain awesome.

kingboozer
11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I am getting goosebumps, I couldn't be more proud of my school than I am right now

gam7
11-11-2010, 08:48 PM
I am getting goosebumps, I couldn't be more proud of my school than I am right now

I am seeing a re-run of the hour-long episode from a couple of nights ago. Our others seeing something new?

kingboozer
11-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I am seeing a re-run of the hour-long episode from a couple of nights ago. Our others seeing something new?

no this is a repeat, just the first time i've seen it